PDA

View Full Version : There must not be too many Nine Inch Nails fans on here...

Travis The Dragon
06-02-2010, 01:48 PM
http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=13624

See my reply.

makethemsuffer12
06-02-2010, 01:54 PM
Go away.

DethMaiden
06-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Go away.

:lol:

Travis The Dragon
06-02-2010, 01:58 PM
Go away.

You know you love me! :eyes:

ChildrenofSodom
06-02-2010, 02:02 PM
You're right. I wish there was exactly one less, actually.

makethemsuffer12
06-02-2010, 02:03 PM
The truth of the matter is that this is a METAL forum, hence why bands like Nevermore, Exodus, and Origin are more talked about here than one of Trent Reznor's projects. Also maybe because the three aforementioned bands are all better than any of Reznor's musical endeavors...

Maiden33
06-02-2010, 02:05 PM
The truth of the matter is that this is a METAL forum

This is an inaccurate excuse given half of everything that goes on here.

Travis The Dragon
06-02-2010, 02:08 PM
The truth of the matter is that this is a METAL forum, hence why bands like Nevermore, Exodus, and Origin are more talked about here than one of Trent Reznor's projects. Also maybe because the three aforementioned bands are all better than any of Reznor's musical endeavors...

Yep, and that's why there are NIN setlists posted on here: http://www.metalsetlists.com/search.php?searchid=798367

makethemsuffer12
06-02-2010, 02:08 PM

So be it.

Long story short, no one here gives a shit about Trent Reznor, at least without the NIN title on one of his projects.

DethMaiden
06-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Jesus Christ, OP is needy. No one answered your thread. Go cry about it.

xStructualDefect
06-02-2010, 02:16 PM
Also maybe because the three aforementioned bands are all better than any of Reznor's musical endeavors...

i'd have to disagree.

Travis The Dragon
06-02-2010, 02:16 PM
So be it.

Long story short, no one here gives a shit about Trent Reznor, at least without the NIN title on one of his projects.

Maybe if they actually took the time to download it and check it out, they might care about it. :)

makethemsuffer12
06-02-2010, 02:18 PM
i'd have to disagree.

Whatever floats your boat, brah.

xStructualDefect
06-02-2010, 02:20 PM
Whatever floats your boat, brah.

guess so. LOTs of other people would agree with me, maybe not on this board.

Indestructible
06-02-2010, 03:41 PM
nin isnt that good.

this cover of closer is funny - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5m_CdCzKYY

idrinkwine732
06-02-2010, 04:20 PM
Smaller bands we talk about > Nine Inch Nails

Crionics
06-02-2010, 04:25 PM
Smaller bands we talk about > Nine Inch Nails

Yeah

DethMaiden
06-02-2010, 04:28 PM
But do you guys know how popular Nine Inch Nails are? They can play even bigger places than As I Lay Dying, and they deserve to play fucking enormous places!

powerslave_85
06-02-2010, 04:30 PM
I like Nine Inch Nails and was planning on checking this out, but now I think I'll avoid it out of spite for you.

makethemsuffer12
06-02-2010, 04:34 PM
But do you guys know how popular Nine Inch Nails are? They can play even bigger places than As I Lay Dying, and they deserve to play fucking enormous places!

AILD @ the New Meadowlands Stadium, December 21, 2012. BE THERE OR BE SQUARE.

Crionics
06-02-2010, 04:37 PM

Hey do you ever go on your fm account? I sent you a friend request awhile ago n you still havn't accepted :lol:

DethMaiden
06-02-2010, 04:39 PM
Hey do you ever go on your fm account? I sent you a friend request awhile ago n you still havn't accepted :lol:

Oh...no, I don't use it. I'm not even logged in to use it, the music on there is from like four years ago.

Crionics
06-02-2010, 04:40 PM
Oh...no, I don't use it. I'm not even logged in to use it, the music on there is from like four years ago.

Oh haha, and you're comment was pretty funny :D

JuuKun
06-02-2010, 04:46 PM

:lol:

guess so. LOTs of other people would agree with me, maybe not on this board.

There are also LOTS of people that would say Fall Out Boy are better than any metal band. Does that make them right? No, your argument is invalid.

larvtard
06-02-2010, 04:58 PM
NIN is awesome. Pissed that I never saw them live. They came here twice within a year and both times I was too lazy to go. The last time they came, the tour was called "Wave Goodbye." If only I realized what that meant... :mad:

SomewhereInTime72
06-02-2010, 05:04 PM
I'm a pretty huge NIN fan, but I'm not entirely interested in this project. I'll probably check it out at some point, 'cause it's free. But not for a while... the one song I heard didn't exactly blow my mind.

Uncle_Meat1940
06-02-2010, 05:31 PM
I like the early NIN stuff, but the later stuff really didn't do it for me. The new project doesn't tickle my fancy either, I may download the album and see if anything is better than the one song I've heard off it.

Sanitarium78
06-02-2010, 05:53 PM
Yeah, I know how weird is it that we talk about actual metal bands on a metal message board and not an alternative/industrial band like NIN?:D

I noticed on that link you posted that you singled out the Nevermore thread. First of all Nevermore destroys NIN and most other bands out there right now. Second of all if you read the thread you would realize there was more discussion going on there than just the Nevermore tour.

Also, singling out the Exodus thread is just plain dumb. They're a highly regaurded and influential thrash metal band. Yes, they didn't reach the height of popularity the big four did. But they did have a sizeable following in metals heyday of the 80s and early 90s. They still have a respectable following now since they've been around in one form or another for the better part of the last 30 years. Just because some bands didn't reach the height of fame your precious Trent Reznor did doesn't mean that these bands aren't better than them.

More fame doesn't equal a better band, good music does.

Travis The Dragon
06-02-2010, 08:34 PM
Yeah, I know how weird is it that we talk about actual metal bands on a metal message board and not an alternative/industrial band like NIN?:D

I noticed on that link you posted that you singled out the Nevermore thread. First of all Nevermore destroys NIN and most other bands out there right now. Second of all if you read the thread you would realize there was more discussion going on there than just the Nevermore tour.

Also, singling out the Exodus thread is just plain dumb. They're a highly regaurded and influential thrash metal band. Yes, they didn't reach the height of popularity the big four did. But they did have a sizeable following in metals heyday of the 80s and early 90s. They still have a respectable following now since they've been around in one form or another for the better part of the last 30 years. Just because some bands didn't reach the height of fame your precious Trent Reznor did doesn't mean that these bands aren't better than them.

More fame doesn't equal a better band, good music does.

I'm just as big of fan of Nevermore and Exodus as I am of NIN. I think for an industrial METAL band, NIN is one of the very best out there. Also, everyone I know who likes metal also like NIN so I figured that since everyone on here likes metal, most of them like NIN too which is why I'm a bit surprised that the thread for Trent's new project isn't getting more action. But maybe most on here don't like NIN which is fine too. :)

idrinkwine732
06-02-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm just as big of fan of Nevermore and Exodus as I am of NIN. I think for an industrial METAL :confused: band, NIN was one of the very best out there. Also, everyone I know who likes metal also like NIN so I figured that since everyone on here likes metal, most of them like NIN too which is why I'm a bit surprised that the thread for Trent's new project isn't getting more action. But maybe most on here don't like NIN which is fine too. :)

This guy needs to have his own smiley.

mankvill
06-02-2010, 08:47 PM
I like NIN quite a bit and I'm actually looking into getting more into them.

TonyD
06-02-2010, 08:47 PM
Wut?
Jesus Christ, OP is needy. No one answered your thread. Go cry about it.

This.

For the record, I kinda like NIN, they happen to be kinda metal, but I don't see why everyone should be flaming them.

Travis The Dragon
06-02-2010, 08:50 PM
This guy needs to have his own smiley.

Actually, I need to shut up and quit starting these complaint threads! :lol:

xStructualDefect
06-02-2010, 09:55 PM
There are also LOTS of people that would say Fall Out Boy are better than any metal band. Does that make them right? No, your argument is invalid.

and yours is also invalid. it doesn't make them right, but it doesn't make them wrong either, because it's an opinion. hell, i could say Fall Out Boy is better than Exodus and Nevermore, but that doesn't make me wrong, just an opinion.

(not that i really think that of course)

idrinkwine732
06-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Actually, I need to shut up and quit starting these complaint threads! :lol:

There are a few things I don't like about some of the people on this board and what they listen to, but I don't really care enough to call them out about it.

and yours is also invalid. it doesn't make them right, but it doesn't make them wrong either, because it's an opinion. hell, i could say Fall Out Boy is better than Exodus and Nevermore, but that doesn't make me wrong, just an opinion.

No dude, you'd just be fucking wrong.

xStructualDefect
06-02-2010, 10:09 PM
No dude, you'd just be fucking wrong.

:lol: oh yeah i forgot an opinion doesn't exist on this board. my mistake.

Maiden33
06-02-2010, 10:13 PM
Wut?

Don't tell me you don't see it. I'm not complaining about it, I don't want the anti closed-mindedness people after me - but there's a TON of discussion that goes on here about completely un-metal music, and at many times, how it is MUCH better than a lot of metal. Not saying I disagree, but it certainly doesn't stand to reason that "this is a metal board - we prefer and discuss only metal".

Nope. :D

There are a few things I don't like about some of the people on this board and what they listen to, but I don't really care enough to call them out about it.

You should start. It'd be fun.

idrinkwine732
06-02-2010, 10:37 PM
You should start. It'd be fun.

That would just ruin the mystery aura that I have :cool:

It exists, but that's just not correct.

xStructualDefect
06-02-2010, 10:52 PM
It exists, but that's just not correct.

i'm glad i grew out of my metalhead mentality.

Maiden33
06-02-2010, 10:56 PM
metalhead

I have gotten pretty sick of people using this like it's a dirty word, and that people should be ashamed for classifying themselves as metalheads.

xStructualDefect
06-02-2010, 10:58 PM
I have gotten pretty sick of people using this like it's a dirty word, and that people should be ashamed for classifying themselves as metalheads.

Maiden33
06-02-2010, 10:59 PM

My original statement still stands.

idrinkwine732
06-02-2010, 11:16 PM

I'm happy I shed my "I have to take everything seriously" mentality too.

xStructualDefect
06-02-2010, 11:16 PM
My original statement still stands.

i'm a metalhead, but i grew out of the metalhead mentality. which means i don't say and think "you're wrong, this band is better, it's a fact, not an opinion" "my metal music is better than everyone elses' shitty generic radio rock or (insert genre or metal sub-genre here)."

i am not trying to start to an arguement, but majortiy of metalheads i've met have that mentality. i realized that no matter how much better we think our music is than someone elses', not everyone enjoys metal, a certain sub genre of metal, or the same metal we like. a year ago, someone could've said my metal sucks, and (insert radio rock band here) is better. i would've laughed in their face thinking how much better my music is than theirs. nowadays i accept and think okay, not everyone wants to listen to metal, it's unlistenable to some people, especially extreme metal, some people would much rather prefer generic radio rock.

Maiden33
06-02-2010, 11:18 PM
To elaborate:

I obviously know what you meant, xStructuralDefect - I just want to point out that I can't stand that you're referring to it as "metalhead mentality" - you know, as though people who listen to other styles of music are never ignorant, dick-ish, elitist, and/or completely stupid when it comes to their opinions on music. Stupid, ignorant people are everywhere and they listen to all styles of music. Don't condemn just because you think you're too good to be lumped in with other "metalheads".

xStructualDefect
06-02-2010, 11:49 PM
To elaborate:

I obviously know what you meant, xStructuralDefect - I just want to point out that I can't stand that you're referring to it as "metalhead mentality" - you know, as though people who listen to other styles of music are never ignorant, dick-ish, elitist, and/or completely stupid when it comes to their opinions on music. Stupid, ignorant people are everywhere and they listen to all styles of music. Don't condemn just because you think you're too good to be lumped in with other "metalheads".

i call it that because almost EVERY SINGLE metalhead i have met, or seen posting online has that mentality. hell, i used to have that mentality. no offense but majority of people on this board have that mentality. now that i think about it i've probably only met VERY few very accepting metalheads, and i have met a lot of metalheads. i talk to a lot of people that listen to all sorts of music. all of them are accepting that i like metal and don't talk shit, even if they don't like it at all. a lot of my friends (guy friends, girls don't like it at all :lol:) actually like my metal, which is how i got a lot of my friends into metal and convinced them to go to shows with me. i wouldn't consider them metalheads though.

whereas if you state you like a band, group, or artist that you like that's usually hated or hust disliked on by metalheads to metalheads, you are almost positive to get bashed.

mankvill
06-03-2010, 12:24 AM
you wrong

JuuKun
06-03-2010, 03:38 AM

I wasn't saying that the statement made them wrong, only that it didn't make them right, so, there's another invalid argument on your part. You're the one who said that a lot of people would agree with you on NIN being better than those bands, as if mass opinion meant a damn when it comes to the worth of a band.

As for this whole "metalhead mentality" thing we're talking about: I'd much rather get into a discussion/debate with a fellow metalhead over a band, as opposed to "Oh hey, do you like (metal band)??" "No, but I don't care that you do! Do you like (awful pop rock band)??" "No, but it's okay that you do!" Yeah, being an elitist makes you a bit of a dick, but it makes for better conversations, IMO.

ravenheart
06-03-2010, 05:00 AM

It's not a dirty word... it's just a shit one. I don't use it because it sounds fucking dumb.

Derelict
06-03-2010, 06:15 AM
Back to the topic at hand - Fonzbear, do you regularly post while drunk and/or high?

Uncle_Meat1940
06-03-2010, 11:04 AM
It's not a dirty word... it's just a shit one. I don't use it because it sounds fucking dumb.

This

Sanitarium78
06-03-2010, 11:44 AM
Back to the topic at hand - Fonzbear, do you regularly post while drunk and/or high?

I've asked him this question as well and he claims he doesn't at all. It's good to see i'm not the only one who gets that impression from his posts.

Weather he wants to or not he always seems to spark some type of debate all the time. Which really isn't a bad thing on a message board.

Crionics
06-03-2010, 11:51 AM

Agree 100%, I know a guy who thinks like this, and it's annoying as hell. Whenever I comment on him expanding into more metal he goes on lkke "OMG SHUT UP, I'M NOT A METALHEAD AND I NEVER WILL BE, I WANNA BE ME." When all I'm really saying is that I'm glad you're opening up to more metal.

ravenheart
06-03-2010, 11:58 AM
Agree 100%, I know a guy who thinks like this, and it's annoying as hell. Whenever I comment on him expanding into more metal he goes on lkke "OMG SHUT UP, I'M NOT A METALHEAD AND I NEVER WILL BE, I WANNA BE ME." When all I'm really saying is that I'm glad you're opening up to more metal.

I don't see anything wrong with that. He doesn't want to be classified in some stereotyped group. Seems fair.

Travis The Dragon
06-03-2010, 01:50 PM

I am NEVER high or drunk when I post, but I can see why some would think so. :lol:

I've asked him this question as well and he claims he doesn't at all. It's good to see i'm not the only one who gets that impression from his posts.

Weather he wants to or not he always seems to spark some type of debate all the time. Which really isn't a bad thing on a message board.

Unfortunately, my rants make me look like a drunken fool. :lol: I really need to stop them.

Crionics
06-03-2010, 01:58 PM
I don't see anything wrong with that. He doesn't want to be classified in some stereotyped group. Seems fair.

But that's the thing, a metalhead is just supposed to mean you enjoy metal, but people think that it defines every aspect of you're life, when it doesn't. People arn't getting that.

JLRedWing13
06-03-2010, 02:20 PM
Never really got into NIN. I downloaded this EP but have yet to listen.

xStructualDefect
06-03-2010, 03:30 PM
I wasn't saying that the statement made them wrong, only that it didn't make them right, so, there's another invalid argument on your part. You're the one who said that a lot of people would agree with you on NIN being better than those bands, as if mass opinion meant a damn when it comes to the worth of a band.

As for this whole "metalhead mentality" thing we're talking about: I'd much rather get into a discussion/debate with a fellow metalhead over a band, as opposed to "Oh hey, do you like (metal band)??" "No, but I don't care that you do! Do you like (awful pop rock band)??" "No, but it's okay that you do!" Yeah, being an elitist makes you a bit of a dick, but it makes for better conversations, IMO.

not saying a mass opinion matters, but saying that there are others who think that. it's just an opinion.

and of course i'm not talking going to talk discuss and debate a metal band to someone who doesn't listen to it. i was just comparing metalheads and people in general who listen to other stuff. maybe an elitist does make better conversations sometimes, but it becomes rather annoying when you say "i like/prefer (insert band here) better than (insert another band), and get a response saying "no, you're wrong, this band is better," and sometimes even thinking "you're an idiot for thinking that." like geez it's just a fucking opinion. does it not let some people sleep at night that some people prefer different music/metal than others? does it get some people THAT irritated and upset when someone says they like a band the other person hates than a band that the other person loves?

for example if i were to say i like Suicide Silence over a band like Behemoth or Cannibal Corpse, everyone would throw a shit fit telling me how i'm wrong. deal with it, it's just an opinion.

Uncle_Meat1940
06-03-2010, 04:50 PM
Unless they agreed with you...

larvtard
06-03-2010, 06:06 PM
and of course i'm not talking going to talk discuss and debate a metal band to someone who doesn't listen to it. i was just comparing metalheads and people in general who listen to other stuff. maybe an elitist does make better conversations sometimes, but it becomes rather annoying when you say "i like/prefer (insert band here) better than (insert another band), and get a response saying "no, you're wrong, this band is better," and sometimes even thinking "you're an idiot for thinking that." like geez it's just a fucking opinion.

I know exactly what you mean. This friend of mine, whenever I tell him an opinion of mine on anything and he doesn't agree with it, he sorta screams "Are you an idiot???" No, man, I'm not. It's just an opinion, chill out.

also, music is subjective. There are no facts in music (relating to whether one band is better than another, that is)

idrinkwine732
06-03-2010, 06:25 PM
I agree that music is entirely ruled by opinion, but no one is ever willing to talk about why band x is better than band y. It always ends with someone saying "ITS JUST OPINION" then it's over.

Maiden33
06-03-2010, 06:28 PM
I agree that music is entirely ruled by opinion, but no one is ever willing to talk about why band x is better than band y. It always ends with someone saying "ITS JUST OPINION" then it's over.

I think healthy debate is a GREAT thing, but ultimately you just have to submit to the fact that some people have considerably different tastes or opinions and mutual ground can never be reached. I have musical debates with people who are similarly-minded, but the less common ground we have, the less it's worth it. Eventually people just have barriers and tastes that can't be crossed and can't be explained. You can argue all day until you're blue in the face, but in those situations there's no point.

Indestructible
06-03-2010, 06:28 PM
I know exactly what you mean. This friend of mine, whenever I tell him an opinion of mine on anything and he doesn't agree with it, he sorta screams "Are you an idiot???" No, man, I'm not. It's just an opinion, chill out.

also, music is subjective. There are no facts in music (relating to whether one band is better than another, that is)

I hate it when people do that. one person i know who i would tell my thoughts on music to when ever he disagrees with me would laugh or make it sound like his way of thinking is the only way of thinking and all who disagree are wrong. it got to the point where i just stopped telling him my opinon for a while.

larvtard
06-03-2010, 07:04 PM
I hate it when people do that. one person i know who i would tell my thoughts on music to when ever he disagrees with me would laugh or make it sound like his way of thinking is the only way of thinking and all who disagree are wrong. it got to the point where i just stopped telling him my opinon for a while.

hahaha you just described my friend right there. It's annoying as hell.

Yeah I know. I hate that. Arguing is my passion :)

JLRedWing13
06-03-2010, 07:55 PM
I love how this discussion is going on on two forums I visit at almost the exact same time....lol.

idrinkwine732
06-03-2010, 08:11 PM
I love how this discussion is going on on two forums I visit at almost the exact same time....lol.

I'm slaying in both of em.

InPatient5100
06-04-2010, 01:15 AM
I disagree

Crionics
06-04-2010, 11:48 AM
Hm, well one thing I have noticed is that MANY metal fans also play instruments, unlike some other genres. Lot's of metal fans write music, and have experience in making music (whether it is pro exp or bedroom exp). I think that's a reason why many metal fans will argue, because they know what they are talking about and what it is like to make music.

mankvill
06-04-2010, 01:12 PM
I wrote a paper last year in English arguing why Slayer is the most influential metal band of all time.

larvtard
06-04-2010, 01:16 PM
I wrote a paper last year in English arguing why Slayer is the most influential metal band of all time.

... can I read it?

Crionics
06-04-2010, 01:36 PM

Nice, today in History we had to write a letter to someone we consider an unsung hero, I wrote to Bruce Dickinson.

mankvill
06-04-2010, 01:53 PM
... can I read it?

:lol: I still have it.

I wrote it for my English teacher who knew nothing about metal, so it definitely isn't the best thing I've written.

My main points were basically: they sold out the least/kept their original sound the most, helped develop thrash metal, and they had a huge part in creating black metal and death metal.

larvtard
06-04-2010, 02:00 PM
:lol: I still have it.

I wrote it for my English teacher who knew nothing about metal, so it definitely isn't the best thing I've written.

My main points were basically: they sold out the least/kept their original sound the most, helped develop thrash metal, and they had a huge part in creating black metal and death metal.

nice. All true :tongue: