PDA

View Full Version : Spartacus Workout

DethMaiden
06-02-2010, 10:11 AM
As we all know, sometimes our manly conversations on here touch on topics such as health and fitness. Most all of us, in-shape and out-of-shape alike, do our best to improve ourselves physically. Rarely does this intersect with metal, though, so when I saw this, I was pretty stoked. Forgot to share it until now, but take a look and share your comments. I'm going to run through this later this afternoon and see if it's something I want to keep on with. Check it out.

http://www.menshealth.com/mhlists/high-intensity-circuit-routine/ (the workout)

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2010/01/pure-testosterone-3-the-spartacus-workout/ (the metal, part 1)

http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2010/02/pure-testosterone-4-the-spartacus-workout-ii/ (the metal, part 2 - actually just another playlist)

I'm going to do a playlist myself of all Pig Destroyer tracks if I like the workout enough to stick with it. Thoughts?

powerslave_85
06-02-2010, 10:20 AM
I started the Couch To 5K running workout a few weeks. It's basically a workout that alternates between running and walking for certain amounts of time, and gradually you start running more than you walk. It's supposed to be a 9 week program. I did the first week, but my knees and shins started giving me problems so I've slowed down to just walking for a while, but that and a better diet (usually SlimFast shakes for breakfast and lunch, with a sensible dinner) has helped me lose a few pounds so far.

Derelict
06-02-2010, 10:44 AM
I've lost 45 lbs since the beginning of November....I don't think the workout regimen matters per se, you just need to be consistent and find/come up with a plan that works for you. If it's one off the internet, one out of a magazine, or one you came up with yourself/with a trainer, then thats what works for you. This workout looks pretty solid.

Also, just as important, is your food intake. Weigh yourself every day under the same conditions (ie i weigh myself in boxers every morning after i pee but before breakfast) and keep track of the weight. Also, at least at the beginning, try to get a rough idea of your calorie consumption. There are websites/phone apps out there that can help you with this, and also tell you what you should be consuming based on age/weight/target. For me, cutting out soda/most of my alcohol has made a huge difference.

@powerslave - you need to be religious about stretching your shins out a couple times a day, at least at the beginning. I like to lay on my back, put one leg into the air at a time, and make the alphabet with my toes using my shin muscles. Has really made a big difference.

Derelict
06-02-2010, 10:47 AM
Also, this has been a big help as well : http://eatthis.menshealth.com/home

I don't think most people (myself included) realize just how bad the food they eat is, especially at chain sit down restaraunts (seriously, 2,000 calorie burgers!). Really good reading through there, and they have a good phone app with a lot of the same info.

powerslave_85
06-02-2010, 10:47 AM
@powerslave - you need to be religious about stretching your shins out a couple times a day, at least at the beginning. I like to lay on my back, put one leg into the air at a time, and make the alphabet with my toes using my shin muscles. Has really made a big difference.Huh, I'll give that a try. Thanks!

And yeah, I've definitely kept a better eye on my calorie and fat intake. That, and I haven't had a beer in at least a month, which I'm sure will help immensely.

Derelict
06-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Huh, I'll give that a try. Thanks!

Hope that helps - there's more stuff here (and thats where i got this exercise from)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shin_splints

powerslave_85
06-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Hmm, that's interesting because after reading that, it seems like it might be CCS instead, because what I'm experiencing matches the symptoms (the pain steadily gets worse as my workout progresses, and sometimes I do get the tingling in my foot, which I'd previously attributed to tying my shoes too tight).

EDIT: After reading on it a bit more, I don't think that it's it. Pretty sure it's just bad shin splints. I'm going to try those stretches and maybe some arch supports for my shoes and see if that makes any difference.

DethMaiden
06-02-2010, 11:26 AM
Also, this has been a big help as well : http://eatthis.menshealth.com/home

I don't think most people (myself included) realize just how bad the food they eat is, especially at chain sit down restaraunts (seriously, 2,000 calorie burgers!). Really good reading through there, and they have a good phone app with a lot of the same info.

Damn, this is good stuff.

Yeah, I'm watching what I eat too. I've finally found an actually delicious zero calorie, zero sugar, caffeinated drink to replace soda (my Achilles heel) - Lipton Diet White Tea With Raspberry. Shit's fantastic. Foodwise, yeah, I love to eat, so it's tough sometimes, but I'm doing a generally better job just by not doing things that are clearly a terrible idea, which I'm used to doing. Two different grilled chicken salads for lunch the past two days, and I'm not complaining.

IrritatedTrout
06-02-2010, 11:35 AM
My roommate tried that Spartacus workout and said it was crazy hard (and he was in very good shape). I may try it sometime, I'll have to see if I have the correct weights. I only have two dumbbell bars so I may not have enough time to change the weights in between the different sets.

I always recommend HIIT because it's awesome.

http://www.intervaltraining.net/hiit.html

Derelict
06-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Damn, this is good stuff.

Yeah, I'm watching what I eat too. I've finally found an actually delicious zero calorie, zero sugar, caffeinated drink to replace soda (my Achilles heel) - Lipton Diet White Tea With Raspberry. Shit's fantastic. Foodwise, yeah, I love to eat, so it's tough sometimes, but I'm doing a generally better job just by not doing things that are clearly a terrible idea, which I'm used to doing. Two different grilled chicken salads for lunch the past two days, and I'm not complaining.

Yeah, food's delicious, and I love to eat like a slob - enough cardio can balance out most food mistakes though. And if you are going to eat like a pig, try to do it for lunch, not dinner.

DethMaiden
06-02-2010, 12:44 PM
My roommate tried that Spartacus workout and said it was crazy hard (and he was in very good shape). I may try it sometime, I'll have to see if I have the correct weights. I only have two dumbbell bars so I may not have enough time to change the weights in between the different sets.

Since it's an endurance course as well, I'm just using two ten-pound weights. I don't need to be a badass and try doing it with 30s just to find out I can't finish.

Yeah, food's delicious, and I love to eat like a slob - enough cardio can balance out most food mistakes though. And if you are going to eat like a pig, try to do it for lunch, not dinner.

I've gone by that philosophy before, but when you're making food mistakes like five days a week, no amount of cardio is going to undo those buffalo wing binges. ;) And why is it that lunch is better to eat like a pig during, exactly? My hunch is it has something to do with your metabolism not wanting you to go to sleep so soon after eating badly, but I'm not sure.

Derelict
06-02-2010, 12:49 PM
I've gone by that philosophy before, but when you're making food mistakes like five days a week, no amount of cardio is going to undo those buffalo wing binges. ;) And why is it that lunch is better to eat like a pig during, exactly? My hunch is it has something to do with your metabolism not wanting you to go to sleep so soon after eating badly, but I'm not sure.

You have more time to work off your mistake is you eat like garbage 12 hours before bedtime, as opposed to eating 1500 calories, then going to bed.

I'm trying to stay busy enough now so that i don't have time to pig out - during the week, i work my normal 8 hours, try to do at least 2 hours of OT a day, eat a quick dinner when i get home, hit the gym, come home and read/go to bed. Honestly for me, the food part is way harder than the workout part.

DethMaiden
06-02-2010, 01:17 PM
Decided to go ahead and make a playlist for the Spartacus Workout:

The Red Chord - Clients
Slough Feg - High Season V
Minor Threat - Seeing Red
Dead Kennedys - Nazi Punks Fuck Off
Propagandhi - This Is Your Life
Behold...the Arctopus - Skullgrid
Carcass - Excreted Alive
Toxic Holocaust - War Game
Cephalic Carnage - Let Them Hate So Long As They Fear
Pig Destroyer - Cemetery Road

DethMaiden
06-02-2010, 02:58 PM
Yep, it's really fucking hard, and I almost puked. Awesome. :horns:

SomewhereInTime72
06-02-2010, 05:01 PM
This sounds really damn hard.... awesome. Best part about this is that I won't need gym access (which I don't have because I don't feel like paying for gym just for until I go back to school at the end of august... especially since the closest one to me is way expensive). I'm trying to run more often, again, since I've gotten fat since I stopped :boohoo:, so I may just pick this up 'cause it sounds fun.

The hardest part about being healthy though is definitely eating. Especially if you're living at home with your family. Way hard. Even crappy college food is still under your complete control when you're away at school (though I'm not sure how many states besides NY actually mandate nutritional information about everything being readily available). At home, you mostly forfeit that control. :bouville:

afterthought: kinda funny, I'm almost the exact midpoint of my weight from my fattest to fittest right now. I went from 196lbs to 155lbs over the first two years of college, and nowadays I'm around 177lbs. :eyes:

powerslave_85
06-02-2010, 05:07 PM
Totally. I was visiting my folks last week and basically gave up on trying to eat healthy while I was there.

ChildrenofSodom
06-02-2010, 05:53 PM
I'm doing the Insanity Work out, starting next Saturday when I get home. Its 60 days, and I'm home for a little more than 3 months, so I may pick up this workout when I get done with that. I'll keep you guys posted.

DethMaiden
06-02-2010, 06:39 PM
This sounds really damn hard.... awesome. Best part about this is that I won't need gym access (which I don't have because I don't feel like paying for gym just for until I go back to school at the end of august... especially since the closest one to me is way expensive). I'm trying to run more often, again, since I've gotten fat since I stopped :boohoo:, so I may just pick this up 'cause it sounds fun.

The hardest part about being healthy though is definitely eating. Especially if you're living at home with your family. Way hard. Even crappy college food is still under your complete control when you're away at school (though I'm not sure how many states besides NY actually mandate nutritional information about everything being readily available). At home, you mostly forfeit that control. :bouville:

afterthought: kinda funny, I'm almost the exact midpoint of my weight from my fattest to fittest right now. I went from 196lbs to 155lbs over the first two years of college, and nowadays I'm around 177lbs. :eyes:

Fuck you, my goal is 170-175. :lol:

ChildrenofSodom
06-02-2010, 06:45 PM
Fuck you, my goal is 170-175. :lol:

Its a little disappointing that I will only reach that goal with the aid of surgery....I don't think I have a goal yet. I'm....gasp....300 lbs and need to seriously get into shape. My initial goal for the summer is 20-40 lbs, which I think is attainable given my current out-of-shapeness. We will see where it goes from there.

DethMaiden
06-02-2010, 06:47 PM
Its a little disappointing that I will only reach that goal with the aid of surgery....I don't think I have a goal yet. I'm....gasp....300 lbs and need to seriously get into shape. My initial goal for the summer is 20-40 lbs, which I think is attainable given my current out-of-shapeness. We will see where it goes from there.

Yeah, from what I understand, the more overweight you are, the easier the first pounds will come flying off. It's the closer you get to your goal that it's like pulling teeth. Seeing as I'm 16 pounds away from the upper bound of my goal, I'm guessing those are gonna be pretty fucking hard to lose.

ChildrenofSodom
06-02-2010, 06:50 PM
Yeah, from what I understand, the more overweight you are, the easier the first pounds will come flying off. It's the closer you get to your goal that it's like pulling teeth. Seeing as I'm 16 pounds away from the upper bound of my goal, I'm guessing those are gonna be pretty fucking hard to lose.

Yeah, I'm hoping that since the first 10 lbs came off earlier this year just from eating less and stretching more/doing push up, then an actual work out regiment will be uber effective.

Div
06-02-2010, 08:54 PM
diets are just fads, even if they work youll just put the weight back on when you go back to your old habits once you reach your target zone. in order to be truly healthy you need a lifestyle change, not a diet. you really need to just grow out of the junk food stage and not eat that stuff anymore. eating a donut and then punishing yourself with cardio isnt healthy, and i think running is extremely overrated anyway. all that makes you do is end up gasping for air and feeling exhausted, i hate that feeling, who would want to do that to themselves?

im what most people would consider lean, i have 11% body fat and i really dont do any chronic cardio at all. eat properly and your body will look how its supposed to on its own.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-real-life-reasons-why-the-primal-blueprint-works-for-me/

DethMaiden
06-02-2010, 09:02 PM
diets are just fads, even if they work youll just put the weight back on when you go back to your old habits once you reach your target zone. in order to be truly healthy you need a lifestyle change, not a diet. you really need to just grow out of the junk food stage and not eat that stuff anymore. eating a donut and then punishing yourself with cardio isnt healthy, and i think running is extremely overrated anyway. all that makes you do is end up gasping for air and feeling exhausted, i hate that feeling, who would want to do that to themselves?

im what most people would consider lean, i have 11% body fat and i really dont do any chronic cardio at all. eat properly and your body will look how its supposed to on its own.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/10-real-life-reasons-why-the-primal-blueprint-works-for-me/

Well, easier said than done, man. We live in America. It's a culture of excess that has given us thousands of unnecessary, delicious, unhealthy foods. Maybe it was easy for you to say you were done with junk food and move onto grilled red meats and green vegetables or whatever it is, but I'm sorry, I presently believe that buffalo wings are the greatest food ever, and in sixty years, I'm going to believe the same goddamn thing. Yeah, my body and I are going to be in an eternal struggle until the day I die, but that's the price you pay in this world.

Div
06-02-2010, 09:05 PM
Well, easier said than done, man. We live in America. It's a culture of excess that has given us thousands of unnecessary, delicious, unhealthy foods. Maybe it was easy for you to say you were done with junk food and move onto grilled red meats and green vegetables or whatever it is, but I'm sorry, I presently believe that buffalo wings are the greatest food ever, and in sixty years, I'm going to believe the same goddamn thing. Yeah, my body and I are going to be in an eternal struggle until the day I die, but that's the price you pay in this world.

well atleast the buffalo wings are healthier than the pizza(bread) or soda(sugar) that might come with them. ;)

ChildrenofSodom
06-02-2010, 09:17 PM
well atleast the buffalo wings are healthier than the pizza(bread) or soda(sugar) that might come with them. ;)

I haven't had soda or gatorade in 3 months, and I accidentally took a sip of some Sprite the other day....the sugar was such a shock to my mouth. I was so pissed.....thought I was drinking water....

DethMaiden
06-02-2010, 09:23 PM
I haven't had soda or gatorade in 3 months, and I accidentally took a sip of some Sprite the other day....the sugar was such a shock to my mouth. I was so pissed.....thought I was drinking water....

:lol: I'm really glad I found that bottled tea that actually tastes great...but I know that once in a while, a man's gonna wanna Mountain Dew, and a man's gonna do what he wants. ;)

ChildrenofSodom
06-02-2010, 09:33 PM
:lol: I'm really glad I found that bottled tea that actually tastes great...but I know that once in a while, a man's gonna wanna Mountain Dew, and a man's gonna do what he wants. ;)

Dude, i still drink copious amounts of beer every few weekends, so its not like I'm not indulging myself. ;)

mankvill
06-02-2010, 10:21 PM
Here's my "fast fucking metal" playlist for working out:

Assuck
DRI
Insect Warfare
Kill The Client
Magrudergrind
Minor Threat
Municipal Waste
Napalm Death
Nasum
Phobia
Pig Destroyer
Rotten Sound
Trap Them
Watchmaker
Wolfbrigade

Maiden33
06-02-2010, 11:43 PM
Just a bit of two cents from myself...

First, I should say that I am definitely overweight, and I need to lose a good chunk of weight in order to feel better about how I look and feel, and more importantly - just feel better. I have already started to work on smaller things to take steps towards that happening. But it's not easy - for me, it's something similar to what Brad said as far as food goes.

But ultimately, I don't really have a ton of respect for people who go really nuts with watching everything they eat, making sure they work out as much as possible, and stressing out over the exact numbers on a scale. You can say: "That's just because you're fat" all you want, but you'd be wrong. Because I haven't always been the way I am now, and I've had this opinion for a long time. I have a certain line I have to draw somewhere, and at the end of the day, I will not torture myself. Sure, I could - and yeah, maybe I'd weigh the "correct" amount, and all that wonderful stuff. But at the end of the day, it doesn't change things so much that I think it's worth the personal struggle. In the end - we're all going to die eventually, and it's not gonna matter who's 15 pounds overweight or not. You will never be able to convince me that my life would be exponentially better if I were in perfect physical condition. You can tell me I'm wrong - but I'm gonna admit I'm pretty stubborn.

But yeah - I don't want to set anyone off here, because I really doubt I'm talking about anyone that's posting here. I still believe it's more than worthwhile to diet and exercise, and they can make you feel a lot better and better about yourself. I just don't believe in going off the deep end - to me it's more just about living the life you want to live and living it the way it works best for you.

ChildrenofSodom
06-03-2010, 06:58 AM
It definitely is depressing to care so much about your weight, eating habits, and workout routine when you're 18-23, because this is the time that you're supposed to be enjoying yourself. Despite being overweight, I'm probably at my biological physical and sexual peak (looking at you, ladies ;) ).....and it sucks that I have to stress about it now. But if you don't do it now, then when you're older and your metabolism is slower, you start to develop serious health problems......and I'd probably prefer cutting out soda and running more to checking my blood sugar and going to doctor every other week.

IrritatedTrout
06-03-2010, 08:35 AM
Did a walk through of this workout last night so I'd have the motions down and correct weight established for today. It seems like a really good workout but I'm not sure I like how many of the exercises are devoted to the legs. As a runner (although a non-competitive one) I shouldn't say this, but who cares about legs? I'm looking to tone the upper body so I'd like something more focused on that region.

As I mentioned, my roommate used to do a Spartacus workout so I'm gonna contact him and see if he did these exact same exercises or if he made his more upper body intensive.

And I'm gonna have to buy a set of dumbbells, mine with the round weights aren't gonna work for the push up exercises.

Maiden33
06-03-2010, 08:45 AM
and I'd probably prefer cutting out soda and running more to checking my blood sugar and going to doctor every other week.

I agree. As I said, I'm not really talking about people who do little things - because I more than believe in that.

DethMaiden
06-03-2010, 09:11 AM
Did a walk through of this workout last night so I'd have the motions down and correct weight established for today. It seems like a really good workout but I'm not sure I like how many of the exercises are devoted to the legs. As a runner (although a non-competitive one) I shouldn't say this, but who cares about legs? I'm looking to tone the upper body so I'd like something more focused on that region.

As I mentioned, my roommate used to do a Spartacus workout so I'm gonna contact him and see if he did these exact same exercises or if he made his more upper body intensive.

And I'm gonna have to buy a set of dumbbells, mine with the round weights aren't gonna work for the push up exercises.

Yeah, I'm just gonna be doing bicep work on off-days because Spartacus is more for legs and core. Definitely not gonna try to do Spartacus two days in a row though, I am sore in unimaginable ways right now. :lol:

SomewhereInTime72
06-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Yo just stop drinking soda entirely, shits bad for you and only really tastes good if you're used to it. Weird ass oversweet gross fake tasting stuff... a real man would enjoy some tea.

ChildrenofSodom
06-03-2010, 07:48 PM
I guess the reason this work out is geared towards the legs is because they are already the strongest part of your body and they can help get your abs and back in shape, as well as just getting your blood and lungs working.

InPatient5100
06-06-2010, 01:22 AM
Oh man I never work out legs lol