PDA

View Full Version : Ronnie James Dio Public Memorial Service -- Hollywood Hills, CA -- May 30th, 2010

andrew_metalhead
05-31-2010, 04:17 AM
My event report:

http://metalassault.com/Live_Reviews/053010_Dio_memorial.php

Videos:

Joey Belladonna: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNaM4MM61hI
Geoff Tate - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ejjD7jLZDg
Glenn Hughes 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QEuQiUgscyw
Glenn Hughes 2 (full song) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pW2RJzlXBAY

List of performances:

Singing In A Dream
Homeward
- by a group of musicians including Claude Schnell and Oni Logan

Catch The Rainbow
Rainbow Eyes
- by another group including Rudy Sarzo

Heaven And Hell
- by John Payne

Man On The Silver Mountain
- by Joey Belladonna

Coast To Coast
- by Glenn Hughes

John Lennon song
- by Paul Shortino

Hallelujah
- by Geoff Tate

Catch The Rainbow
- by Glenn Hughes

Maidenmagic
05-31-2010, 06:04 AM
A John Lennon song does not belong at a tribute to the master of Metal. If they wanted more soft songs they could have played some more Ronnie songs such as The temple of the king, Rainbow eyes, and all the fools sailed away. Those would have been better than stripping down "man on the silver mountain."

GWAR654
05-31-2010, 06:06 AM
A John Lennon song does not belong at a tribute to the master of Metal. If they wanted more soft songs they could have played some more Ronnie songs such as The temple of the king, Rainbow eyes, and all the fools sailed away.

i agree 100% with u

jhdeity
05-31-2010, 07:01 AM
Great review man!

kngdymond
05-31-2010, 09:10 AM
uuhhhhh they did play Rainbow Eyes :allan:

Uncle_Meat1940
05-31-2010, 10:28 AM
A John Lennon song does not belong at a tribute to the master of Metal.

*Sigh* People... :tp:

evildeadjedi
05-31-2010, 10:41 AM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/reviewpics/wbcdio4.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cgt4k_gPiW8&feature=player_
Ronnie's son mentioned in his speech some bands that saved his love for music for him DOWN, Clutch, and BLS. He also really would have liked to have seen Dime and his father collaborate on some music.

JLRedWing13
05-31-2010, 10:54 AM
A John Lennon song does not belong at a tribute to the master of Metal. If they wanted more soft songs they could have played some more Ronnie songs such as The temple of the king, Rainbow eyes, and all the fools sailed away. Those would have been better than stripping down "man on the silver mountain."

...........seriously? :hecho:

elturtleboy
05-31-2010, 12:08 PM
I shat myself when Joey went on stage:drool:
Neil Turbin was there too but as a fan,as well with Katon De Pena.
So WBC did end up going? Lame.

MPF
05-31-2010, 12:31 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/reviewpics/wbcdio4.jpg

New New Hero!

andrew_metalhead
05-31-2010, 01:14 PM

No.

Great review man!

Thanks!

Maiden33
05-31-2010, 01:21 PM
New New Hero!

Would've been mine too if he weren't wearing an AC/DC - Back in Black t-shirt. :D

christopher
05-31-2010, 01:23 PM

If you were there, then you would have understood why this song fit perfectly in the tribute. Dio meant the world to Paul Shortino. He gave a speech bout how devastated he was by loosing Dio. Paul said that one of Dio and his favorite songs were the John Lennon song. He was going to do a Dio song, but this song meant a lot more to the relationship he had with Dio.

christopher
05-31-2010, 01:30 PM
Oh did anyone see that guy with the devil mask on? He was annoying as shit! I would try to listen to what was being sad by each speaker and he kept yelling out random shit. Then he would sing loudly along with the songs. Now I wouldn't normally mind the singing, but it was a memorial service and I wanted to hear each persons' acoustic versions of Dio's songs. Plus the devil guy sucked at singing haha. Overall, he was the annoying part of the service.

Sanitarium78
05-31-2010, 01:39 PM
Nice review of the service Andrew. I read in another review that they actually let those in attendance walk by the casket to pay their final respects to Ronnie. Did you do that as well?

To those who are bitching about the song selection and them doing MOTSM acoustic, are you guys fuckin serious? Think before you post. Did it cross your mind that maybe Ronnie was a big fan of the Lennon song that was performed and his friends and family thought it would be a nice touch if it was added to the service? Have you ever been to a funeral at all? It's a somber ocassion and it's not the time to plug the guitars in and blow out the speakers. Even if it is for Dio, that's what the memorial concerts will be for. Doing songs acoustically fits the ocassion perfectly. No one at a funeral is saying "man, I wish I was able to rock out right now".

Some people will find anything to complain about it seems. Even in something that was as positive and beautiful as this service seemingly sounds like it was. This sounded like a great send off for the man. Yet some of you can't stand that and you JUST NEEDED to find something negative to say. Grow the fuck up people:mad:

andrew_metalhead
05-31-2010, 01:41 PM
Nice review of the service Andrew. I read in another review that they actually let those in attendance walk by the casket to pay their final respects to Ronnie. Did you do that as well?

To those who are bitching about the song selection and them doing MOTSM acoustic, are you guys fuckin serious? Think before you post. Did it cross your mind that maybe Ronnie was a big fan of the Lennon song that was performed and his friends and family thought it would be a nice touch if it was added to the service? Have you ever been to a funeral at all? It's a somber ocassion and it's not the time to plug the guitars in and blow out the speakers. Even if it is for Dio, that's what the memorial concerts will be for. Doing songs acoustically fits the ocassion perfectly. No one at a funeral is saying "man, I wish I was able to rock out right now".

Some people will find anything to complain about it seems. Even in something that was as positive and beautiful as this service seemingly sounds like it was. This sounded like a great send off for the man. Yet some of you can't stand that and you JUST NEEDED to find something negative to say. Grow the fuck up people:mad:

Yeah dude fuck those who are complaining. How can people complain at THIS???????

And yeah I did go to the casket as well. Sorry I didn't mention it. The Hughes song at the end overwhelmed me beyond words. I completely spaced out after that lol so didn't mention the proceeding after.

Crionics
05-31-2010, 01:45 PM
Would've been mine too if he weren't wearing an AC/DC - Back in Black t-shirt. :D

That just adds to the awsomeness for me :D

rjturtle9
05-31-2010, 02:00 PM
I was proud to be apart of the memorial service. The acoustic performance of Heaven & Hell brought tears to my eyes. But overall, it was a beautiful service and well worth the 12 hours without food and the heat.

elturtleboy
05-31-2010, 02:09 PM
Oh did anyone see that guy with the devil mask on? He was annoying as shit! I would try to listen to what was being sad by each speaker and he kept yelling out random shit. Then he would sing loudly along with the songs. Now I wouldn't normally mind the singing, but it was a memorial service and I wanted to hear each persons' acoustic versions of Dio's songs. Plus the devil guy sucked at singing haha. Overall, he was the annoying part of the service.

:lol: As soon as i saw that guy i started cracking up. When he passed by the casket he gave his little speech.

Sanitarium78
05-31-2010, 03:29 PM
Yeah dude fuck those who are complaining. How can people complain at THIS???????

And yeah I did go to the casket as well. Sorry I didn't mention it. The Hughes song at the end overwhelmed me beyond words. I completely spaced out after that lol so didn't mention the proceeding after.

That's understandable. Did they keep the casket closed for when everyone walked by?

rjturtle9
05-31-2010, 03:34 PM
That's understandable. Did they keep the casket closed for when everyone walked by?

Closed.

I really think that Dio wasn't in the casket. During the ceremony, people kept saying that the real funeral was the day before. Wouldn't that mean that he was buried that day?

andrew_metalhead
05-31-2010, 03:37 PM

Yeah it was closed.

Sanitarium78
05-31-2010, 03:45 PM
Closed.

I really think that Dio wasn't in the casket. During the ceremony, people kept saying that the real funeral was the day before. Wouldn't that mean that he was buried that day?

That's intresting. It could've been someone just starting a rumor though because the casket was closed. There's no reason to believe that he wasn't in there. It doesn't make much sense to have this whole big send off with the casket on stage if he was already buried. I think they would of told everyone and not had it on the stage if that were the case.

andrew_metalhead
05-31-2010, 03:45 PM
Closed.

Yeah it was an empty casket, I think.

christopher
05-31-2010, 04:04 PM
I figured the casket was empty too. That's why I just left after the ceremony was over and missed walking up to the casket. I was burnt out after waiting over 3 hours outside in the sun and 4 hours inside with no food or drink.

rjturtle9
05-31-2010, 04:36 PM
That's intresting. It could've been someone just starting a rumor though because the casket was closed. There's no reason to believe that he wasn't in there. It doesn't make much sense to have this whole big send off with the casket on stage if he was already buried. I think they would of told everyone and not had it on the stage if that were the case.

No, the people that spoke during the ceremony said it themselves that the actual funeral was the day before.

ijwthstd
06-01-2010, 10:57 AM
If I had known there would be musical performances I would have gone. I ended up going to a gig at Rhino Records. Damn.

Sanitarium78
06-01-2010, 02:03 PM
If I had known there would be musical performances I would have gone. I ended up going to a gig at Rhino Records. Damn.

How was it possible not to know that? They didn't wait two weeks to do it just so they could do something ordinary for him.

Sanitarium78
06-02-2010, 06:33 PM
To put the debate to bed about weather Ronnie was really in the casket or not at this memorial. It's been reported on the Black Sabbath message board that he was laid to rest yesterday afternoon. Vinny, Geezer, Craig Goldy, Steve Mignardi, Scott Warren and Simon Wright were the paulbearers. So i'm guessing for those who passed by the casket at his memorial, yes Ronnie was in there when you walked by.

Platinum Maze
06-02-2010, 08:49 PM
I got an email today from the Eddie Trunk website where Eddie mentions the private funeral was Saturday.

Just back from LA, the Dio memorial and funeral. Friday was the private viewing, Saturday was the private funeral and Sunday the public memorial I had the honor to host. So many amazing performances and speeches, all in tribute to the great Ronnie James Dio. It was great to see and connect with so many again, but obviously we all wish it was under better circumstances. Wendy Dio and her team did everything so classy and respectful, fitting for a man like Ronnie. So many friends and family gathered at the various events over the weekend. Spent time with Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler, Bill Ward, Oni Logan, Rudy Sarzo, Doug Aldrich, Craig Goldy, Frankie Banali, Claude Schnell, Scott Warren, Vinny Appice, Glenn Hughes, Simon Wright, Rob Halford, Joey Belladonna and so many others. The public event Sunday was a tremendous honor to host. Thousands of fans, friends and family showed up at Forest Lawn for a final goodbye to Ronnie...

http://eddietrunk.com/index.cfm?pk=view&cd=NAA&cdid=421281&pid=401816&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter060210

EDIT: Apparently, he was buried Tuesday 6/1. I have an email in to ET to find out what he was talking about. :)

Sanitarium78
06-03-2010, 11:32 AM
I got an email today from the Eddie Trunk website where Eddie mentions the private funeral was Saturday.

Apparently, he was buried Tuesday 6/1. I have an email in to ET to find out what he was talking about. :)

Yes he was buried on June 1st. Both Dio's official page and Joe Siegler's Black Sabbath page have reported on this. They may have done the funeral and just waited until after the memorial to have a private burial. I'm sure they were trying to avoid fans mobbing the burial. Which I understand completely.