PDA

View Full Version : Sublime with Rome -- Denver, CO -- April 26th, 2010

Skinny Juice
05-28-2010, 01:11 AM
Sublime with Rome - Monday, April 26th 2010 at The Fillmore Auditorium, Denver, CO

At 1st I had the urge to post a full review, but I withheld this post until seeing seeing a review of MC Chris. Haters will indeed hate, but I think Sublime is somewhat-likely to appeal to many folks here...

3 bands on the bill, first up was Del-Mar. The sound was a little rough for them, sounded punky-surf-rock, appropriate for the show. Didn't realize until later that the drummer I was admiring was actually Bud Gaugh from Sublime. He was the highlight. Him and the weird hat the singer/guitarist was wearing.

2nd band of the evening was The Dirty Heads. I work at an active rock radio station, so I heard their song "Check The Level" often. I was curious to hear the rest of their tunes. I was pleasantly surprised. Right off the bat, the fact that their vocalist resembles Jason Mewes (Jay & Silent Bob) and they didn't look like little gangstas was a relief. The music was good too. Nothing fancy, just mellow groovy-rock music played with instruments, not samples. My favorite part of the set was when they played "Lay Me Down" with Rome Ramirez.

Then my question was answered: "Could Eric & Bud find anyone to fill the massive void left by Bradley Nowell?" The set they played was the answer I was hoping for:

Get Ready
April 29th, 1992
Smoke Two Joints
Seed
Jailhouse
Wrong Way
S.T.P. :D
Greatest Hits :horns:
Don't Push
Garden Grove
Right Back
New Thrash :tongue:
Panic (new song written with Rome)
40 Oz. to Freedom
Under My Voodoo
Badfish :light:
Let's Go Get Stoned
-encore-
Date Rape
The Ballad of Johnny Butt
What I Got
Scarlet Begonias
Santeria

Excellent setlist, most of the favorites along with rare tunes like STP and Greatest Hits. I was skeptical of how they would be, but I think it's the next best thing to the original line-up. People bitch about it being "fake Sublime" and it's just for the $. But I only paid $35 for my ticket, and for the 1st time in years, paid $25 for a tour shirt. They aren't trying to be something they aren't, they're just giving fans who didn't get the chance to see Sublime before Brad passed a chance to experience the tunes. It was cool seeing them on April 26th as well.

Del-Mar - 5/10
Dirty Heads - 7/10
Sublime with Rome - 9/10

If you get a chance to catch them, do. They are as good as it will get as far as Sublime

christopher
05-28-2010, 12:26 PM
That is such a better setlist than what they did on 4-20 out here in Hollywood.

rjturtle9
05-28-2010, 02:16 PM
I wanted to go to the show here in L.A. but it sold out quicker than I had thought it would. Oh well, one day maybe...

Skinny Juice
05-28-2010, 02:46 PM
That is such a better setlist than what they did on 4-20 out here in Hollywood.

Yeah, I heard that people actually starting booing and throwing shit on stage at the end of the 1st show. :snivel:
Apparently they overlooked Date Rape there, which would've made me mad. But booing them and throwing shit after their set is just sad. By the time they played Philadelphia a week or so after Denver, they were opening with Date Rape. That would be awesome to see.

jhdeity
05-28-2010, 03:08 PM
Cool review man. I live on the water and when I have people over I play the hell out of a Sublime beach mix I made a few years ago. Kinda tired of hearing those same songs but people always beg me for a copy of that cd so it's great for Summer and chillin' out.

The cover band Badfish sells out around here all the time so it'll be great to hear as close to the real thing as we're going to ever get.

Would love to hear Pool Shark, Boss DJ, Doin' Time, Caress Me Down, DJS, Arrogance, Saw Red & What Happened so hopefully they mix the sets up some.