PDA

View Full Version : Slipknot Bassist Paul Gray found dead

makethemsuffer12
05-24-2010, 01:47 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140601

Wow. I'm honestly shocked. R.I.P.

SerpentineVIVIVI
05-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Jesus Christ everyone is dying this year....R.I.P.

ravenheart
05-24-2010, 01:50 PM
... the fuck?!

Didn't he just join Hail!?

mankvill
05-24-2010, 01:51 PM
dang bro

evildeadjedi
05-24-2010, 01:52 PM
Well I guess there is the "third"

First Steele, next Dio, and now Gray.

RIP guys

makethemsuffer12
05-24-2010, 01:52 PM
dang bro

Listen, I know you probably hate Slipknot just as much as you hate LOG, but you can at least show some respect. The guy just died.

Indestructible
05-24-2010, 01:56 PM
How many great fucking musicians have to die. The question is will slipknot find a new bassist or end.

smearCampaign
05-24-2010, 01:56 PM
you can at least show some respect

What do you want? He said 'dang'.

But seriously, that's a damn shame. RIP.

Sanitarium78
05-24-2010, 02:02 PM
Seriously what the fuck is going on here? First Avengened Sevenfolds drummer, then Peter Steele and Dio. Now this?

Anyways the first three Slipknot albums are really good, especially Iowa.

RIP Paul Gray

mankvill
05-24-2010, 02:03 PM
Listen, I know you probably hate Slipknot just as much as you hate LOG, but you can at least show some respect. The guy just died.

:confused:

Dissimulate
05-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Something up there hates us. Never cared for the music but RIP for the man.

Citatet
05-24-2010, 02:09 PM
Unexpected to say the least.

Rest in Peace man!

Feel really sorry for the wife being pregnant with their first child as well.

Too bad in this that Blabbermouth on a sidenote writes some garbage about drugpossession that happend seven years ago.

Indestructible
05-24-2010, 02:10 PM
R.I.P Paul Gray. My friend said that the metal world might be cursed.

makethemsuffer12
05-24-2010, 02:10 PM
:confused:

I just assumed that you were being sarcastic, considering it's you and all haha. If you were being serious, I'm sorry :lol:

mastodon421
05-24-2010, 02:34 PM
R.I.P Paul this is a complete shock why are so many metal musicians dying?

rjturtle9
05-24-2010, 02:42 PM
Wow. This caught me by surprise! I wonder what will happen with this band now. R.I.P. Paul Grey

xStructualDefect
05-24-2010, 02:52 PM
holy fuck this sucks. so many deaths lately. RIP

ChildrenofSodom
05-24-2010, 02:52 PM
R.I.P.

But c'mon guys, just because three people that play music died within a few months of each other isn't that weird. Its called life and death.

Chyck
05-24-2010, 03:03 PM
But c'mon guys, just because three people that play music died within a few months of each other isn't that weird. Its called life and death.

R.I.P., man

100% seconding the above statement. Add to it the fact that metal musicians don't exactly live the easiest lives. It's sad that things keep happening, but not shocking.

300%_Density
05-24-2010, 03:16 PM
Goddamn. This month seems like it's been a cruel fucking joke or something. I mean seriously. What the hell? I'm beyond speechless right now. Sadly missed for sure. Damnit.

mankvill
05-24-2010, 03:18 PM
I just assumed that you were being sarcastic, considering it's you and all haha. If you were being serious, I'm sorry :lol:

naw it sucks. out of all the nu-metal bands i grew up with, Slipknot was probably my favorite. would've liked to see them before their newest album was released.

Wizzbang11
05-24-2010, 03:28 PM
1 down 8 to go.

mankvill
05-24-2010, 03:32 PM
1 down 8 to go.

TAKE COOOOVVVEEERRR!!!

Metal_Head
05-24-2010, 03:34 PM
I'm very sad and extremely shocked by this. I don't listen to much Slipknot anymore, but this is beyond sad to me. RIP Paul.

Crionics
05-24-2010, 03:35 PM
I don't like Slipknot, but R.I.P.

Wizzbang11
05-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Guys, at least it wasn't Craig Jones.

BloodoftheKings
05-24-2010, 03:49 PM
1 down 8 to go.

I was waiting for that, did'nt want to say it myself. :D

SomewhereInTime72
05-24-2010, 04:01 PM
Not a fan of the music at all but

In a December 2009 posting on his MySpace page, Gray revealed that his wife was pregnant with the couple's first child. "I am the happiest man on the face of the earth literally!" he wrote. He added, "This has been the best Christmas I have ever had!"
that suuuuuuuuuuucks. :bouville:

makethemsuffer12
05-24-2010, 04:17 PM
Guys, at least it wasn't Craig Jones.

:lol:

illninoese
05-24-2010, 04:18 PM
Well I guess there is the "third"

First Steele, next Dio, and now Gray.

RIP guys

Actually I count 4.

Steele, Dio, Isis, now Gray. Pretty shitty month so far. I lost LOST last night as well =(

But I was talking to one of my friends earlier, and we were saying how this could be the end of Slipknot. They might call it quits out of respect and to the keep the core of the band pure. If so, another sad day in the coming weeks should be expected.

elturtleboy
05-24-2010, 04:36 PM
I don't like Slipknot, but R.I.P.

I agree,they didnt suck,but i wasnt big on them,still very sad,RIP

b_halperin
05-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Slipknot was at the first show I ever went to. One of the main bands that got me into metal. I don't still listen to them but I respect them for introducing me to metal music. Paul Gray was extremely talented and he will be missed. RIP.

TonyD
05-24-2010, 05:13 PM
I'm surprised but I can't say I'm disappointed at all.

Wizzbang11
05-24-2010, 05:15 PM
I'm surprised but I can't say I'm disappointed at all.

Agreed. :cool:

ravenheart
05-24-2010, 05:53 PM
I don't think someone dying is a case of disappointed or not... the band breaking up, maybe, but not a death.

MPF
05-24-2010, 06:39 PM
DAMN!

I used to be into Slipknow back when the first album came out, but I quckily grew out of the band. But I really hate to see anohter great metal musician die.

I really hope this will be the last one for a while...

R.I.P.

larvtard
05-24-2010, 07:33 PM
Damn... Paul was always my favorite member. He seemed like such a cool guy. We seemed to have the same personality, shy but not anti social (like Craig) I even wore his mask for Halloween in 8th grade.

RIP

JRA
05-24-2010, 08:04 PM
I hate Slipknot with a passion, but I didn't want the guy to die. I do feel bad for his wife and soon to be born son. If this does in fact cause the band to break up, I will celebrate, but with a heavy heart.

andrew_metalhead
05-24-2010, 10:45 PM
RIP :(

Fires Of Sedition
05-24-2010, 11:50 PM
My friend texted me while I was at work and told me about this being true. Holy shit. Slipknot is far from the greatest band in the world, but they are the band that got me into metal. Iowa was my favorite album of all time for many years and after they released Vol. 3 I pretty much gave up on them. Still listen to the first three albums every now and then. Had the chance to see them a few times, never took it, kind of regret it now. R.I.P. Paul.

gilpdawg
05-25-2010, 03:15 AM
Damn... Paul was always my favorite member. He seemed like such a cool guy. We seemed to have the same personality, shy but not anti social (like Craig) I even wore his mask for Halloween in 8th grade.

RIP
8th GRADE! 8th FUCKING GRADE! Thanks. Now I feel like an old bastard.

Indestructible
05-25-2010, 06:09 AM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140618

WOLVERINEKILLS
05-25-2010, 08:19 AM
Whether anyone is a fan or not they should respect the fact this guy was a touring metal musician and passed away.

Slipknot was the biggest modern metal band in recent history. Not far beyond Metallica, System of a Down and Tool in terms of popularity. Matter of fact, one of my friends is a diehard Metallica fan and the few shows we went to see on the Death Magnetic tour he said Slipknot played the same venues during the same time span and sold alot more seats. He has pics where the upper levels sold out for Slipknot and Metallica had them closed. It is a heckuva accomplishment to be a part of that. R.I.P Paul Gray.

DigMySpanky
05-25-2010, 10:38 AM
The sad part is that a man with a family passed away too soon, and that has nothing to do with Balloon Knot.
The saddest part is that they will probably have another bassist by next month, thus the band will not break up.

ravenheart
05-25-2010, 10:51 AM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140618

So when they say more details have emerged, what they really meant was no new details have emerged at all.

DigMySpanky
05-25-2010, 11:03 AM
Whether anyone is a fan or not they should respect the fact this guy was a touring metal musician and passed away.

Slipknot was the biggest modern metal band in recent history. Not far beyond Metallica, System of a Down and Tool in terms of popularity. Matter of fact, one of my friends is a diehard Metallica fan and the few shows we went to see on the Death Magnetic tour he said Slipknot played the same venues during the same time span and sold alot more seats. He has pics where the upper levels sold out for Slipknot and Metallica had them closed. It is a heckuva accomplishment to be a part of that. R.I.P Paul Gray.

I don't think BalloonKnot is beyond any of those bands in terms popularity, especially Metallica and Tool.

ravenheart
05-25-2010, 11:06 AM
I don't think BalloonKnot is beyond any of those bands in terms popularity, especially Metallica and Tool.

Not Metallica, no. But they are WAY bigger than Tool. Worldwide.

IrritatedTrout
05-25-2010, 12:23 PM
Slipknot is a fucking joke but that doesn't mean I wanted this guy to die. It's a shame he died before his kid was born. However, if the band decides to break up I'll be perfectly fine with that.

Indestructible
05-25-2010, 02:51 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140664

Indestructible
05-25-2010, 03:08 PM
Grays death is the most shocking of them all.

Sanitarium78
05-25-2010, 04:18 PM

Yes, waaaaaaay more shocking than the passing of a legend an icon such as Ronnie James Dio and most certainly more shocking than Peter Steele who had gotten clean and turned his life around only to drop dead suddenly of a heart attack:tp:

I'm not trying to make light of Paul Gray's passing but i'm pretty sure Dio's and Peter's deaths had a bigger shock throughout the worldwide music community.

Indestructible
05-25-2010, 04:30 PM
Yes, waaaaaaay more shocking than the passing of a legend an icon such as Ronnie James Dio and most certainly more shocking than Peter Steele who had gotten clean and turned his life around only to drop dead suddenly of a heart attack:tp:

Yay another one who has to make a big deal out of something I said. Im not going to fucking explain myself to anyone I said what i wanted to say so deal with it. Grays death just seemed alot more unexpected to me than dio and steele.

makethemsuffer12
05-25-2010, 04:36 PM
Yay another one who has to make a big deal out of something I said. Im not going to fucking explain myself to anyone I said what i wanted to say so deal with it. Grays death just seemed alot more unexpected to me than dio and steele.

Relax. What he meant to say was probably the impact of Dio's and Steele's deaths are probably greater than Paul's.

That being said, both Steele's and Gray's deaths were very unexpected. Dio's on the other hand. Not so much. Heartbreaking? Yes? But highly shocking? No.

Sanitarium78
05-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Relax. What he meant to say was probably the impact of Dio's and Steele's deaths are probably greater than Paul's.

That being said, both Steele's and Gray's deaths were very unexpected. Dio's on the other hand. Not so much. Heartbreaking? Yes? But highly shocking? No.

Yes, that's what I meant, that the impact of those two deaths is greater. Maybe Dio's wasn't a complete shock but it was still a shock to me because all the reprots said everything was going well.

As for Paul it's very sad but no one really knows for sure what kind of demons he may have been battling before his death.

ravenheart
05-25-2010, 05:07 PM
Yes, that's what I meant, that the impact of those two deaths is greater.

Might I suggest in future using the correct words to say what you mean then? ;)

idrinkwine732
05-25-2010, 05:13 PM

Here it is, he just said it, Dio and Steele don't matter. That's precisely what you just said.

Give him a break guys. I disagree, but chill.

Indestructible
05-25-2010, 05:17 PM
Here it is, he just said it, Dio and Steele don't matter. That's precisely what you just said.

Give him a break guys. I disagree, but chill.

I never said that dio and steele dont matter . I have loved type and dio since 8th grade. Pauls death seened the most shocking and unexpected to me.

idrinkwine732
05-25-2010, 05:27 PM
If you didn't understand that I was being sarcastic in that post, then you don't deserve to be defended.

Wizzbang11
05-25-2010, 05:41 PM
It's been a day and you are all still talking about this?

elturtleboy
05-25-2010, 05:48 PM
damn i just remembered he was the slipknot dude that was in Anal Blast first the singer now this guy...damn

mankvill
05-25-2010, 05:52 PM
Hmm, turns out the dude was in Reggie and the Full Effect as well.

RELATION TO KANSAS

RIP

elturtleboy
05-25-2010, 05:57 PM
yeah but Anal Blast is awsome

Indestructible
05-25-2010, 06:34 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140671

makethemsuffer12
05-25-2010, 06:42 PM
^ I watched that when they streamed it live. It was really saddening. Corey, Sid, and Joey were complete wrecks. I really feel bad for them.

xStructualDefect
05-26-2010, 07:20 AM

wow really? i understand you despise Slipknot but a lot of people like/liked them. they also had a big impact on A LOT of people getting into metal. i've liked Slipknot for about 9 years now. maybe you were too young when Slipknot was at their biggest.

mastodon421
05-26-2010, 07:29 AM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140671

Such a heartbreaking press conference. Everybody that spoke had something very powerful to say. I feel very bad for them. R.I.P Paul

SomewhereInTime72
05-26-2010, 07:57 AM
wow really? i understand you despise Slipknot but a lot of people like/liked them. they also had a big impact on A LOT of people getting into metal. i've liked Slipknot for about 9 years now. maybe you were too young when Slipknot was at their biggest.

I would say you guys were too young because you were still totally impressionable and able to get sucked into liking shitty music. ;) By the time Slipknot hit their peak popularity, I was way past the age where I would like something like that. :)

xStructualDefect
05-26-2010, 08:14 AM
I would say you guys were too young because you were still totally impressionable and able to get sucked into liking shitty music. ;) By the time Slipknot hit their peak popularity, I was way past the age where I would like something like that. :)

yeah i guess so, i got into bands like Slipknot and Korn back in 2000 when they were at their peak of popularity and i was 9 at the time. but that's also the time when i started listening to a lot of music. by the time i was 13 or 14 i was getting into DragonForce (before Inhuman Rampage came out), Bodom, As I Lay Dying, etc. age doesn't really mean you can't enjoy something though.

SomewhereInTime72
05-26-2010, 09:39 AM
yeah i guess so, i got into bands like Slipknot and Korn back in 2000 when they were at their peak of popularity and i was 9 at the time. but that's also the time when i started listening to a lot of music. by the time i was 13 or 14 i was getting into DragonForce (before Inhuman Rampage came out), Bodom, As I Lay Dying, etc. age doesn't really mean you can't enjoy something though.

Yeah it definitely doesn't, but it does effect how impressionable you are. I'm not really that much older than you, but it was enough for me to be past the point where Slipknot would have had an "impact" on me, so to say. I mean, Korn was my favorite band for a while until some point when I was 12 or 13, and were my "stepping stone" of sorts. By the time Slipknot became really popular (I guess, around the time that "My Plague" hit the radios), I no longer needed that stepping stone, so they were already "meh" to me.

PlaysWithKnives
05-27-2010, 01:56 AM
Holy shit ,wizzbang. I hate slipknot as much as anyone. I think they're a bunch of noise making clowns. But I don't take joy in any of them dying. Especially when the guy had a kid on the way. There's been too much death in metal lately.

mankvill
05-27-2010, 01:58 AM
There's been too much death in metal lately.

But not nearly enough death metal!

TonyD
05-27-2010, 10:39 AM
But not nearly enough death metal!

Well played.

makethemsuffer12
06-21-2010, 02:21 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=141904

Suprise suprise =/