PDA

View Full Version : Top 5 Albums That Changed Your Life

makethemsuffer12
05-23-2010, 06:39 PM
I got the idea to do this from one of those "Pick Your Five" things on Facebook. Just post the albums that you feel changed your life/paved the way for you current taste in music. These ARE NOT supposed to necessarily be your 5 favorite albums. So post 'em, embarrassing or not.

I'll do mine in chronological order:

1. Evanescence - Fallen
This was the first real album I ever owned (I got it right after I finished the 5th grade). After hearing "Going Under" at the end credits of the game "Enter the Matrix" and "Bring Me to Life" on the radio all the time, I knew that I had to have their CD. I remember hearing all of the songs on the album and just loving each and every one. The dark melodies, the heavy guitars, the "epic" parts with choir/orchestration, I loved it all. As I much later started getting into "true" metal, I found myself going back to this album and still loving it, though with a greater understanding of its content.

2. System of a Down - Mezmerize
I remember when I first heard SOAD. I was just sitting around, watching MTV2, when a commercial for this album came on, with "B.Y.O.B." playing in it. I then heard the full song, which I immediately fell in love with. I looked up some of their videos online and just had to have their stuff. I remember clearly making my dad take me to the music store in the mall (Sam Goody, I think?) and have him buy me Mezmerize and Toxicity. I was instantly a die hard fan. I love both of those albums, but Mezmerize is the one that really hit me, and to this day, along with its second half Hypnotize, is one of my all-time favorite albums. They were my favorite band for a while as well, until this next one...

3. Metallica - Master of Puppets
This album is my motherfucking Holy Grail. It inspired me so much, and continues to inspire me to this day. I remember when I was much younger, my dad wanted to play me Metallica. I always refused, thinking they were going to be a Deep Purple (my father's favorite band) type band, who at the time I did not like at all. Then one day I was riding in his car with my sister, and he puts on "Sanitarium." I was instantly blown away. It was nothing like the sound I was expecting, and it was nothing like I've ever heard before. So dark, beautiful, and most of all crushing. I immediately made my dad play it again afterwards. He burnt me a copy of the album, though I always skipped ahead to "Sanitarium." Then I heard "Battery" and the title track. Nuff said. From then on I was a full on Metallimaniac, buying all of their albums, shirts, DVDs, etc. Hetfield was also one of my main inspirations to pick up the guitar. To this day it is still my favorite album of all time, and Metallica are still my favorite band.

4. Slayer - Reign In Blood
What can I say that hasn't been said before? It's fucking REIN IN BLOOD! I remember when I first put on Angel of Death in my mom's car. Needless to say, I fell in love. It was the fastest, most evil sounding thing I have ever heard, and it still gives new bands a run for their money. This would probably be my 2nd or 3rd favorite album of all time.

5. Cannibal Corpse - The Bleeding
At this point I was already listening to Disturbed, Avenged Sevenfold, Slipknot, etc. I've always known the name Cannibal Corpse, but I never listened to them before. I was a little nervous about Slipknot before I started listening to them, so I'm sure you can imagine what I felt about these guys. The brief moments that I've heard any sort of death metal before I absolutely disliked, but when I first heard these guys, something just clicked. Similar to how I got into SOAD, I saw the commercial for KILL with "Make Them Suffer" (username, durr hurr) in it and was completely intrigued. I saw the video for "Make Them Suffer," and later the video for "Staring Through the Eyes of the Dead." My friend had bought Kill, which I listened to a little of, but I didn't borrow it or anything. Later that year, during the Winter holiday season, I decided to spend a FYE gift card that I got for my birthday. With "STTEOTD" being the only other CC song I knew, I decided to buy The Bleeding, along with Slayer's South of Heaven and Trivium's The Crusade. Goddamn what a crushing album. "Staring...," "Stripped, Raped, and Strangled," "Pulverized," all killer stuff. This is the album that really made me expand my horizons into the brutal world of death metal. To this day it's still my favorite CC album, at least from the Barnes era.

Going over this makes me realize how important of a year 2006 was to me, in terms of music.

Wow, that was longer than expected.

MPF
05-23-2010, 06:53 PM
I'll also try to do mine in Chronological Order:

Devin Townsend- Terria
My all time 100% will never change top favorite album of all time. It's 72 minutes of pure magic. Gene Hoglan plays drums on here but if you only heard his work in Strapping Young Lad, Death, Dethklok, and Dark Angel, you would never have guessed he could play like this. It's Progressive Metal that is powerful, atmospheric, and poppy. It takes a few listens but if you take the tiome, it will be your favorite album as well.

Dream Theater- Images and Words
The album that made me wanna stay playing drums. Sure, it is not perfect in production but every song on here is a DT classic. People might only know DT for either excessive wankery, or their "hit" Pull Me Under back in 1992, but there is so much beyond those two habit forming opinions, Images and Words proves that.

Dredg- El Cielo
Dredg is one of the most underrated bands going today, Bands like The Fray can ripoff their style, make it poppier and so much crappier and become a huge band, while Dredg is struggling to break even. This album is one their highlights. While they have yet to NOT make a masterpiece, this is the first album to make me realize how much perfection Dredg really is. Also everytime they play in MN, I get to hang out with Drew (Dredg's bassist) for at least a good half hour. I'm actually going to see them this Sunday and Drew specifically asked me to wear my Iced Earth shirt. He's a huge metalhead like me.

Pain Of Salvation- Remedy Lane
No album has ever come this close to home as Remedy Lane. Besides Daniel G. being one of if not the best voice in Prog Metal, the whole concept of this album I have lived (except for the song A Trace of Blood). Any guy who has ever been in a relationship and dealt with love, hate, sex, miscarriage, betrayal, etc. This album will really hit home with you and possibly even bring some tears to your eyes. It did for me the first time I heard it.

Long Distance Calling- Avoid The Light
This has quickly become one of my favorite albums and it just came out this year. LDC is a Progressive Post Metal band, that isn't afraid of coming up with Prog in Post Metal and vice versa. they are almost always instrumental but ATL features Jonas of Katatonia on the song The Nearing Grave (Youtube it NOW!!!). Also the drums are beyond phenomenal. I hope these guys become HHHUUUGGGEEE!

mankvill
05-23-2010, 07:28 PM
1. Ben Folds - Ben Folds Live

While Rockin' The Suburbs got me into taking music seriously, his live album got me into his back catalogue and really opened me up to live concerts as well. If it wasn't for Ben Folds, I wouldn't be here on this forum right now.

2. Anaal Nathrakh - The Codex Necro

Helped solidify my love of the metal genre and helped me through a rough period in my life. My favorite band, and my choice for the best extreme metal release of all time.

3. Boris - Amplifier Worship

Got me into the heavier, slower stuff. Made me realize that it can't be all speed all the time, and that wasn't such a bad thing. Probably in my top 5 albums of all time.

4. Andrew W.K. - I Get Wet

At a time when I was really sad and stuff, AWK came along and really changed my outlook on everything. It's better to be happy than to be sad and every song on this album does just that.

5. AFI - Sing The Sorrow

My most listened to album of junior high. I can't really get into their old stuff and I can't get into anything after it, but this album was the perfect mix for me. Aw yeah, sucka.

Wizzbang11
05-23-2010, 07:39 PM
Hmmm..
In no order:

GWAR- America Must Be Destroyed- This is still possibly my favorite album of all time. First heard it in 7th grade and I've listened to it more than any other album, I know it to an extent that I can't even compare to any other albums. I had heard a few GWAR records before it but this is what solidified them as my favorite band. Everything about it is perfect, and I recently acquired the original LP (with the alternate cover, as seen in my avatar) which reignited my love for it after not listening to it for a few months.

Green Day- Kerplunk- I guess you could say this is what got me 'into' music. Between 2nd and probably 4th or 5th grade I literally listened to it every night before I went to sleep. Can't say I enjoy it very much anymore, but every now and then for nostalgia's sake :).

Autopsy- Mental Funeral- This one is more recent, about a year ago I first heard it and was hooked since. I had Severed Survival for a few years but it never really did anything for me, now I would say it's quite good but regardless of popular opinion, Mental Funeral is the quintessential Autopsy album, and totally changed my thoughts on what doom(/death) metal could be, and unfortunately made me like a lot of death metal significantly less.

System of a Down- System of a Down- Back to early 6th grade, this is probably what got me more interested in heavy music. Never really cared about harder rock but for some reason I was really fascinated by this one. I haven't heard it in a few years though, not really sure why, I still think they are decent.

Cattle Decapitation- Humanure- My friend Jimmy got this for me as a birthday present in 8th grade, and I had Cannibal Corpse's Vile which I had listened to a few times, but this was my first death metal album. Fell in love with it, and then later with all of Cattle's music, but this record totally shifted my musical interest to the extent that for some time I gave up listening to most everything softer than it. Still one of my favorites.

DethMaiden
05-23-2010, 07:48 PM
Collin Raye - Extremes: Kinda generic mid-90s country album, but my family wore out that cassette tape on car rides and it was the first thing to instill a love of music in me. Still a great album for me, along with a couple of his other 90s records. Some of that's nostalgia, some of it's because he's one of the best singers EVAH.

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast: 12 years old. Heard the title track, bought the album, never turned back. The sole reason that I'm a metalhead.

Genesis - Foxtrot: Heard "Supper's Ready" on AOL Radio ('member that?), bought the record and realized I needed to be into prog rock. Not my first prog record, but the one that made me a prog nut. I'm not sure that I'm still even a prog nut, really, but for a while there I liked old prog just as much as metal.

At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul: Was never attracted to extreme metal until I heard this and realized there could be hooks and melodies AND death vocals. Again, never turned back. Responsible for my love of all extreme forms of metal.

Mastodon - Leviathan: In 2004, I was still mostly playing "classics catchup" and ignoring most new metal releases. Heard this, realized how much ass they can kick, set me up to do what I mainly do now, which is hear a shit ton of new stuff every year.

BloodoftheKings
05-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Slipknot - Slipknot
While I cant stand this band these days, I cant deny the fact that they are one of the bands that got me into metal in the first place and for that I thank them. I remember back then when I thought "Spit it Out" and "Eyeless" were the heaviest songs in the world:eek:

System of a Down - Mezmorize
This is another one of the bands that got me into metal but unlike Slipknot I actually still like this band. After I first heard BYOB I listened to it every day for the next 6 months.

Metallica - Metallica
Another one that helped me get into metal. I eventually grew very tired of this album but it was my introduction to Metallica.

Megadeth - Rust in Peace
After hearing albums such as Among the Living, South of Heaven, and Bonded by Blood. I became obsessed with thrash, but I cant put them all on here so I chose what is probably my favorite thrash album ever Rust in Peace. This album is just perfect in every way, I never get tired of it.:rocker:

AC/DC - Highway to Hell
AC/DC was the first band I ever liked, Highway to hell was the first song I ever liked. I first heard this when I was 8 and still cherish it to this day.

BloodoftheKings
05-23-2010, 07:59 PM
Hmmm..
In no order:

GWAR- America Must Be Destroyed- This is still possibly my favorite album of all time. First heard it in 7th grade and I've listened to it more than any other album, I know it to an extent that I can't even compare to any other albums. I had heard a few GWAR records before it but this is what solidified them as my favorite band. Everything about it is perfect, and I recently acquired the original LP (with the alternate cover, as seen in my avatar) which reignited my love for it after not listening to it for a few months.

:agree:

idrinkwine732
05-23-2010, 08:51 PM
In order of importance...

1. Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast: I was getting into music when I was about 10, after a long time of not really finding anything compelling. I bought this album when I was 13 and I was looking for music that I found entertaining. I found it in some bargain store in Camden and I had always succumbed to the negative attention metal had, but decided to get it anyway. My mom nearly had a heart attack when she saw I bought it, but listening to it changed my life forever.

2. Tom Waits - Rain Dogs: I was talking to a friend of mine during this time of musical odyssey I was undergoing when I was about 13 or 14, and he asked me if I'd heard of Tom Waits. I said no, and the next thing I knew he had run to his car and gave me a copy of this album. I consider it one of the most important albums that allowed me to delve into music.

3. Slayer - Reign in Blood: Granted, now it might not be my favorite Slayer album, but this was the first album I was a bit guilty about buying. I was nervous to get into metal, but as much as I credit Iron Maiden for opening the door, I credit this album to kicking me in. I had never heard something so fast, so aggressive, so heavy, and it felt so awesome to me as a listener. Waits helped me get into music, Maiden helped me get into metal, but Slayer was what made me stay into it forever.

4. Carcass - Heartwork: This probably was the first album that I felt gripped me in the death metal genre. I heard this album, listened to it again, then again, then ran to my computer and listened to more. I asked people what other bands I should listen to, is there something even better than this? I credit this album with my current love for extreme metal.

5. Cormorant - Metazoa I've been wondering whether this actually belongs here or not, I mean, it only came out like 9 months ago. I believe this belongs here for a few reasons. One, it is probably one of the best metal albums I have heard. Others disagree, but it will stand the test of time, and I will be listening to it in 2040. But more importantly, it assured me that there is serious talent in the underground. I was wading around in unknown bands every now and then hearing a good one and listening to it, but I mainly stuck with better known black, death and thrash bands. This album made me think "jesus, there's all this amazing metal out there I haven't heard yet, I need to hear it all right now." This album is what perpetuated me into the metalhead I am now, the one that is ravenous to find that diamond in the rough, and find something truly special.

b_halperin
05-23-2010, 09:43 PM
5. Cormorant - Metazoa I've been wondering whether this actually belongs here or not, I mean, it only came out like 9 months ago. I believe this belongs here for a few reasons. One, it is probably one of the best metal albums I have heard. Others disagree, but it will stand the test of time, and I will be listening to it in 2040. But more importantly, it assured me that there is serious talent in the underground. I was wading around in unknown bands every now and then hearing a good one and listening to it, but I mainly stuck with better known black, death and thrash bands. This album made me think "jesus, there's all this amazing metal out there I haven't heard yet, I need to hear it all right now." This album is what perpetuated me into the metalhead I am now, the one that is ravenous to find that diamond in the rough, and find something truly special.

It is an amazing album, isn't it? I found them through Ashkira. I see your signature you just saw them, you gotta tell how the show was!

I'll post my top 5 later.

idrinkwine732
05-23-2010, 09:54 PM
It is an amazing album, isn't it? I found them through Ashkira. I see your signature you just saw them, you gotta tell how the show was!

I'll post my top 5 later.

I've seen Ashkira twice now and they are really awesome. I found Ashkira through Cormorant, so I think they like referring people to eachother. I think The Honor of Defeat is how to properly make a metalcore album. They've got the hooks, the heaviness, but still make it technical, melodic and fun to listen to.

If I'm not talking about how I saw Cormorant in a 40 person venue and it was amazing talking to them in 10 years, something's wrong with this world.

ravenheart
05-24-2010, 06:02 AM
Metallica - S&M
Aerosmith - A Little South of Sanity
Dio - Lock Up The Wolves
W.A.S.P. - The Best of The Best

Explanations and maybe a fifth album later.

Indestructible
05-24-2010, 06:36 AM
1. Evanescence - Fallen
This was the first real album I ever owned (I got it right after I finished the 5th grade). After hearing "Going Under" at the end credits of the game "Enter the Matrix" and "Bring Me to Life" on the radio all the time, I knew that I had to have their CD. I remember hearing all of the songs on the album and just loving each and every one. The dark melodies, the heavy guitars, the "epic" parts with choir/orchestration, I loved it all. As I much later started getting into "true" metal, I found myself going back to this album and still loving it, though with a greater understanding of its content.

That album along with disturbed got me into rock and metal when I was ten. I remember thinking fallen was the greatest thing ever at that time but if you knew what i listend to before rock/metal you would understand why.

makethemsuffer12
05-24-2010, 07:29 AM
That album along with disturbed got me into rock and metal when I was ten. I remember thinking fallen was the greatest thing ever at that time but if you knew what i listend to before rock/metal you would understand why.

Disturbed was big for me as well. Pretty much all the bands that played on the Ozzfest '06 main stage really helped me get into metal.

Derelict
05-24-2010, 07:34 AM
Ministry - Psalm 69
Sepultura - Arise
Paradise Lost - One Second
At the Gates - Slaughter of the Soul
Death - Symbolic

Sanitarium78
05-24-2010, 07:48 AM
Metallica - Master Of Puppets
Anthrax - Among The Living
Black Sabbath - Dehumanizer
Alice Cooper - Constrictor (the first hard rock/metal style album I ever owned)
Megadeth - Rust In Peace

I could easily make this more than five albums but I don't want the list to get too long:D Also, all these albums I had on cassette first before I upgraded them to CD once my parents finally got me a CD player:party:

SomewhereInTime72
05-24-2010, 08:30 AM
System of a Down - System of a Down: First album that I really listened to of my own choosing (as in not just whatever was on the radio, or someone else's/my parents' stuff etc.) Arguably started my entire interest in music, definitely started my interest in metal.

Iron Maiden - The Number of the Beast: Not enough I can even say about this album - I don't even know where I would start. But I can definitely say that shortly after I got this album, Maiden became my favorite band - and have been for about 7 years now.

In Flames - Clayman: In short, this was the album that made me accept death metal. I was very anti-growl, anti-scream, and all the jazz for quite some time. But the good riffs and melodies in some death metal inspired me to listen to it anyway ("jeez this would be good if they could actually sing" etc.). But the day that I first got this album, was when everything clicked. Since then I've added all forms of growly music to my list of favorites. :D

King Crimson - In the Court of the Crimson King: Another obvious choice. Basically this album turned me into someone obsessed with prog. Every song on this album is complete gold to me (yes, even Moonchild), and I've listened to it constantly for the past 5 years or so... but the first time I heard it, it was like everything was right in the world because of this damn music. It's that good.

Amorphis - Tales From the Thousand Lakes: Hmmm. For some reason, I knew that this album should be on this list, but I wasn't entirely sure why. I think that it's the album that has influenced me the most as a musician and writer. When I first heard this album, something resonated in me that said "this is what music should sound like." Not the specific sound of course, but the general sense I got from the way the music was written.... it's hard to explain.

bt11763
05-24-2010, 08:44 AM
Slipknot - Slipknot
While I cant stand this band these days, I cant deny the fact that they are one of the bands that got me into metal in the first place and for that I thank them. I remember back then when I thought "Spit it Out" and "Eyeless" were the heaviest songs in the world:eek:

very much agreed, slipknot was the first band that really set me off into the world of metal, and i can't deny or play it off just because of how they're considered in all hte other scenes i get in to. i mean my dad brought me up listening to like nirvana and alice and chains too, so that helped me get into other heavy shit, but what started me on the road was seeing the video for duality in 9th grade and getting into their albums right there. they were also the first band t-shirt i ever bough, and now i collect the damn things like baseball cards, so slipknot will always hold a special place in my heart, no matter what onscure, extreme, tr00 metal i will get into.

mastodon421
05-24-2010, 08:51 AM
Linkin Park-Hybrid Theory
When i was 11 this album just blew my mind. I can pretty much thank Linkin Park for getting me into heavy music.

Metallica-Master Of Puppets
Metallica was the first older metal band I had ever listened to. They were the gateway band for me to bands like Megadeth,Iron Maiden,Black Sabbath, Judas Priest,Slayer etc. Metallica got me into classics and also exposed to me to my favorite genre of metal Thrash.

The Black Dahlia Murder-Miasma
The gateway to death metal for me. When I was 13 I heard this record and it was unlike anything I had heard at the time. It was absurdly heavy and crushing yet really melodic. Now I absoultley love death metal and many of my favorites are in that genre and that is all thanks to the The Black Dahlia Murder(who remain one of my favorite bands of all time).

Iron Maiden-Piece Of Mind

The album that got me hooked on Maiden and remains my favorite Maiden record to this day.

Mastodon-Blood Mountain
No other album has blown my mind as hard as Blood Mountain. Mastodon was already my favorite band for about a year before this came out but this just solidfied it. I think I listened to 200 times in a week from start to finish. Blood Mountain is my all time favorite album and I don't think anything I will ever listen to will top it.

powerslave_85
05-24-2010, 09:17 AM
In chronological order:

Goo Goo Dolls- A Boy Named Goo
The first album I ever bought, in any format. It was important because it was the beginning of me having my own music tastes, and they remained my favorite band for quite a few years.

Green Day- Insomniac
For a lot of people my age, Dookie was their seminal album, but for me it was the follow-up, which was darker, faster and louder. This is the album that planeted the seeds of punk rock for me. I'm pretty sure I literally wore out my cassette copy of it.

Iron Maiden- Powerslave
I could have gone with Brave New World instead; that was the first album of theirs that I fell in love with, but Powerslave was the first time I ever heard them. I was hesitant about the music at first (I was much more used to the Metallica/Megadeth/Black Sabbath approach to metal, and the dueling lead guitars seemed odd to me) but I was hooked on the lyrics about the Battle of Britain, nuclear war, and classic literature. The rest, as they say, is history.

The Clash- London Calling
This album shattered every thing I knew (or thought I knew) about punk. I was expecting something more like the Sex Pistols, but what I got was a sprawling, ecclectic mix of every genre under the sun that somehow worked as a cohesive whole. No two songs sound the same, and they're all flawless. Still my favorite album of all time.

Sleater-Kinney- The Woods
Out of all the other albums I listed, this one had the least impact on my overall taste in music (though it introduced me to riot-grrl and a lot of other female-fronted bands), but it was still a game-changer. I've probably never had a more immediate, visceral reaction to an album on the first listen. It went from "What is this?!?" to "I need to immediately find everything this band has ever done." It's angry, passionate, dynamic, and almost uncomfortably loud. And perfect.

Honorable mention:

Dead Kennedys- Give Me Convenience or Give Me Death and Fresh Fruit For Rotting Vegetables
This band is unique in that they not only influenced my musical tastes, but also my personality to some extent. I never realized what a sick sense of humor I had until I found myself laughing at songs like "Funland At the Beach" (the chorus of which is "Crushed little kids adorn the boardwalk!"), "I Kill Children," and "Chemical Warfare." They were also a supremely odd band to listen to for the first time: A guy named Jello who sounded like the guy from the B-52's yelling about Cambodian dictators over creepy surf guitar riffs? It doesn't work on paper, but they were one of the most influential and clever punk bands of all time.

Crionics
05-24-2010, 11:48 AM
In order of time of occurance.

1. AC/DC- Back in Black
The first album I ever bought. Was my entrance to Rock and now, FUCKING METAL. Although not my favorite AC/DC album today, I just remember listening to this album and loving the rock edge to it. Looking up youtube videos of AC/DC and falling in love with Angus Young and his stage presence, and then buying a guitar, an SG like Angus ofcourse. Also the first band t shirt I bought was of this album, although I don't have very many band shirts. AC/DC is still one of my favorite bands to this day.

2. Megadeth- Rust in Peace
This album was one of my first entries into metal other than Sabbath and Maiden and some others. I was blown away by the guitar work of this album. It really placed metal into my life, while not my favorite Megadeth record today, still amazing. Just brilliance, Megadeth became my favorite band after AC/DC and still are up there today.

3. Slayer- Reign in Blood
Up untill now, I might have still considered myself a classic rocker and not a metalhead. This is the album that made me a fucking metalhead. The heaviest, fastest, evilest, most insane thing I had ever heard at this point. I was blown away, I thought this was it, nothing could get more heavy or evil, I was wrong ofcourse, and this isn't my favorite Slayer record anymore, but this might be the single most important record in my life. Slayer is probably my favorite band today, maybe tied with AC/DC though. This album made me who I am, and made me explore more into the heavier side of metal.

4. Mayhem- Live in Leipzig
I first read about Norwegian Black Metal on Wikipedia when I was building my metal knowledge. The story that caught my eye the most was the story of Dead. I was just shocked by him. I wanted to hear him, so I bought the only official Mayhem release with him. I remember this coming in the mail and just staring at it for awhile..When I played it, it was evil. All I can say, the glory of Dead live is shown here. This also made me look intom more black metal.

5. Skeletonwitch- Beyond the Permafrost
This album does it all. It's just brilliant, it mixed all my favorite genres in metal. It also made me realize for sure that the metal scene is still at 100% and made me feel better about living in my generation. Skeletonwitch is my favorite modernish band, their just great.

Maiden33
05-24-2010, 12:08 PM
This list is so hard for me to do objectively - I just know that Iron Maiden's Brave New World was without a doubt the biggest.

The Green and Black
05-24-2010, 12:18 PM
1) Y&T - Meanstreak - This was the earliest album I remember listening to with my dad was I was very young. He played it all the time when we would go out for drives or when we would go fishing. Y&T was without a doubt the first band that turned me on to music.

2) Overkill - Under the Influence - When I got just a little bit older, while still proud of my hard rock roots, I wanted to add some heavier music to my catalog. I was already into Megadeth and Metallica, but there was a point that I was looking for more, as those bands had already mellowed out significantly when I was old enough to really get into them, so I was turned on to Slayer and Overkill around the same time, but chose Overkill here as they ended up being one of my favorite bands of all time still to this day.

3) Savatage - Streets: A Rock Opera - Growing up with metal in general, including Savatage, it wasn't until Streets where I really felt a true connection with this band. From the first time I heard this album, through now, it remains one of my favorite albums of all time. I am very passionate about all things Savatage and this album is one of the greatest examples why.

4) Avantasia - The Metal Opera - In my quest for more music in a stagnant American Metal Scene, I found this album online, ordered it and took a chance. This album opened so many doors for me, as it is the reason I listen to so much Power Metal and Progressive Metal today. Every vocalist on that album turned me on to a new band, it was and still is amazing.

5) Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane - While I was already starting to listen to bands like Children of Bodom, In Flames, and At the Gates, and for a long time been into Carcass and Death, I would say this album bridged the gap for me between Melodic Death Metal into Black Metal, again forcing me to discover so many new bands in two somewhat similar genres.

Edit: I am adding an honorable mention, Guns N' Roses - Appetite for Destruction, and it would fall inbetween Y&T and Overkill. Guns N' Roses was really the first band I called my own and basically discovered on my own.

evildeadjedi
05-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Led Zepplin - I or Black Sabbath-S/T:Thanks to my parents these gems I heard at an early age along with Pink Floyd, The Who, The Allman Brothers Band, Creedence Clearwater Revival, Deep Purple, Buffalo Springfield, and Lynard Skynrd.

Slayer - Reign in Blood: Thrash metal at it's finest me and my friend Bryan prior to Slayer thought Metallica was the most brutal music we had heard. The first time I heard the opening riff of "Angel of Death" I got cold chills SO BRUTAL SO BEAUTIFUL! He also introduced me to Judas Priest, Iron Maiden, The Clash, Sex Pistols, The Ramones, Velvet Underground, Motorhead, Venom, Anthrax, Exodus, Cannibal Corpse, etc cause his sister had a very extensive vinyl and tape collection.

Clutch - S/T & Escape from La Soundtrack: Clutch and the White Zombie song was the highlight of the soundtrack and was the reason I bought S/T album. However, my first exposure to Clutch was on a Beavis and Butthead episode where they played the video for "A Shogun Named Marcus". :rocker: Many of the bands I discovered I first heard on Beavis and Butthead like Suicidal Tendencies, The Melvins, Megadeath, Testament, Mercyful Fate, Pentagram, Trouble, Death, Sepultura, GWAR, Pantera, Napalm Death, etc.

The Misfits - Collection Volume 1 and 2: These two marked my second love with punk prior to this it was metal, rap, and classic rock. Strange thing is when this happened near the end of high school I got really anti commercial music and only would listen to underground bands.

Killswitch Engage - Alive or Just Barely Breathing - None of the other KSE (well S/T was pretty good but this is my personal favorite) were better than this one, Jesse was such a great front man! My friend Ian made me a mix cd with Children of Bodom, Hypocrisy, Crytopsy, Bolt Thrower, Blind Guardian, Celtic Frost, Decapitated, Amon Amarth, Immortal, Bathory, and Killswitch Engage was the first track. It was the first time I heard "Fixation on the Darkness" I was hooked and I stopped listening to most Punk, Ska and Hardcore going back to my heavy metal roots.

The Green and Black
05-24-2010, 01:18 PM
Metallica - S&M
Aerosmith - A Little South of Sanity
Dio - Lock Up The Wolves
W.A.S.P. - The Best of The Best

Explanations and maybe a fifth album later.

I KNEW the Dio album would be there! But have to say I'm a little suprised by the Aerosmith, in particular that album, so I'll be waiting for your explanations. ;)

ravenheart
05-24-2010, 01:26 PM
It's all to do with my path into rock/metal. That was an important album. And it's still a good one. Easily their best live recording.

The Green and Black
05-24-2010, 01:34 PM
It's all to do with my path into rock/metal. That was an important album. And it's still a good one. Easily their best live recording.

I never said it was bad, was just interested in your thought process. :D

ravenheart
05-24-2010, 01:40 PM
I'm still trying to decide what the fifth one will be...

There aren't many more that changed my perceptions as such, which is the most important thing here, it just all escalated from W.A.S.P., really.

The Green and Black
05-24-2010, 01:42 PM
I'm still trying to decide what the fifth one will be...

There aren't many more that changed my perceptions as such, which is the most important thing here, it just all escalated from W.A.S.P., really.

Opeth?

ravenheart
05-24-2010, 01:46 PM
I thought of them, but I actually started with the soft one ;)

It'll probably be Slayer, Ayreon, Guns N' Roses... oh! oh! Fuckin' duh! 'No Rest For The Wicked'. Fuckwit.

That does mean there's no room for 'We Sold Our Souls For Rock 'n' Roll' though... Hmmm.

The Green and Black
05-24-2010, 02:02 PM
I thought of them, but I actually started with the soft one ;)

It'll probably be Slayer, Ayreon, Guns N' Roses... oh! oh! Fuckin' duh! 'No Rest For The Wicked'. Fuckwit.

That does mean there's no room for 'We Sold Our Souls For Rock 'n' Roll' though... Hmmm.

I thought about Guns N' Roses, they were really the first band I called my own, but I didn't think it was a signifcant enough jump after Y&T. If I could do a top 6, I would say Appetite for Destruction would be in there for sure.

daimonos
05-24-2010, 02:37 PM
In the order that I got them.

1: Metallica - Kill 'em All
I was 12 at the time, I had been listening to Black Sabbath, Dio, and Ozzy for years, and had even seen Metallica perform, but one day I just randomly decided to pick up a Metallica CD, and I saw that "Seek and Destroy" was on it, so I left the store with that. I immediately was amazed by it. After this album I really started digging thrash metal, listening to Metal Church, Overkill, Megadeth, and Anthrax.

2: Slayer - Show No Mercy
Like I said, I liked thrash alot, and was trying to get into that. About 10 or 11 months after I picked up Kill 'em All, I decided to take a big step: Pick up a Slayer record. Looking back, I have no idea why I bought this one first (I think it may have been used), but I loved it, and it propelled my interest of 'darker' sounding music forward.

3: Amon Amarth - Fate of Norns
At this point I was finally starting to accept guttural vocals. Just the overall melodic feeling of this album is probably what made it so acceptable to me. Very good album.

(Next I went through my "shitty metal" phase :lol:)

4: Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
I bought this album on reccomendation of a guy who works at the record store I go to, and damn when I first heard this I was absolutely blown away. My first "real" black metal album. This one really opened up alot of doors for me, and propelled my interest in black metal.

5: Opeth - Blackwater Park
Whenever I bought this, I was absolutely captivated by it, completely. I couldn't stop listening to it at all, and it put me in a trance every time I listened to it. Also at the time, (and as emo as this sounds :finger:), I was having some relationship problems, and it really connected to me. After this, I was hooked to Opeth, and these days, they're my favorite band.

Honorable Mention: Sanctity - The Road to Bloodshed
This is the band/album that made me appreciate guttural vocals.

elturtleboy
05-24-2010, 04:58 PM
The Adicts-Rockers Into Orbit-The live album that made me want to be a punk rocker and go against the world. I listen to this album 24/7 while hitting puberty.

The Germs-MIABecuase I was tired with cliche punk rock sytles and fashion and bullshit lyrics,this album is the true punk rock album.

D.R.I.-Dirty Rotten CDSo fuckin fast,so fuckin loud,the album ive been waiting for all my life.Right then and there I knew i wanted to mix Punk rock with Heavy metal.

The Locust-selt titledThe cd was the size of of a silver dollar pancake,and twenty minutes of pure fast lyrics whitch make no sence! This band was meant to destroy punk,and it totaly did for me.Someone will eventually die from this album.

Anal Cunt-It Just Get's WorstThe band name really caught my attention.I love offensive lyrics like GG Allin/The Mentors etc. mixed with fast Noisecore/powerviolence like The Locust/Charles Bronson.This is true grindcore at its worst. You may calll this the worst band ever,and they probally are.Thats why they kick soo much ass

The Green and Black
05-25-2010, 07:52 AM
4: Immortal - At the Heart of Winter
I bought this album on reccomendation of a guy who works at the record store I go to, and damn when I first heard this I was absolutely blown away. My first "real" black metal album. This one really opened up alot of doors for me, and propelled my interest in black metal.

I approve this message! :fist:
:rocker:

JRA
05-25-2010, 08:09 AM
Bob Marley & The Wailers- Legend: I consider it my first real album.

Ozzy Osbourne- Blizzard of Ozz: The first metal album I loved.

Eric B & Rakim- Paid In Full: The first hip hop album I loved.

Exodus- Bonded By Blood: Made me realize that just because the singer isn't actually singing, and is in fact, distorting his voice, doesn't necessarily mean he is a nu-metal cockface.

Rush- Vapor Trails: Blew my fuckin mind, didn't think a bunch of old proggers could sound so fucking heavy!

Dextrimental
05-25-2010, 04:21 PM
These were all discovered around the same time, one school year, or there abouts.

Slayer - God Hates Us All.. This record is so angry and heavy, it is, to me, one of the most perfect slabs of metal ever. It showed me how incredible metal can make you feel, and the emotions that it can bring out. Probably the most important record to me.

Trivium - Ascendancy.. I like metalcore, and this is the best metalcore album, IMO. Its also a total inspiration, in how young the band members were, and how well made and produced this album is. This was the first current album I got, and I still give it regular spins.

Korn - Follow The Leader.. My first metal record, first metal band I ever really liked.

Nofx - Pump Up The Valuum.. First record I EVER liked, and probably my favorite punk album.

Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory.. When I got into music, we had Kazaa, and I downloaded most of this record before buying it, and I LOVED this band, they were on MTV the whole time, and they caused my interest in metal music.

InPatient5100
05-29-2010, 09:51 PM
In Flames - Clayman: A successful move into a new direction
In Flames - Reroute to Remain: Decimating the failed nu-metal scene with a whole new style
In Flames- Soundtrack to Your Escape: Taking what Reroute started to new heights
In Flames - Come Clarity: Some of the best vocals recorded on an album in my opinion
In Flames - A Sense of Purpose: A haunting masterpiece

youngandaspiring
05-29-2010, 10:02 PM
Limp Bizkit - Three Dollar Bill Y'all. First album ever. Wore it down.
Iron Maiden - Edward the Great. First album to get me into Metal. Similarly wore it down.
Underoath - They're Only Chasing Safety. Brilliance, got me out of Metal.
Virgin Steele - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part 2. Perhaps the best album I've ever heard in terms of consistency. Only 1 possible weak track.
Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane. Probably the most emotional album ever composed. Cry-worthy.

evildeadjedi
05-30-2010, 09:58 AM
In Flames - Clayman: A successful move into a new direction
In Flames - Reroute to Remain: Decimating the failed nu-metal scene with a whole new style
In Flames- Soundtrack to Your Escape: Taking what Reroute started to new heights
In Flames - Come Clarity: Some of the best vocals recorded on an album in my opinion
In Flames - A Sense of Purpose: A haunting masterpiece

Five In-Flames albums changed your life? :confused:

DethMaiden
05-30-2010, 10:03 AM
Five In-Flames albums changed your life? :confused:

And four of 'em are *new* In Flames albums. :eek:

JRA
05-30-2010, 01:00 PM
Limp Bizkit - Three Dollar Bill Y'all. First album ever. Wore it down.
Iron Maiden - Edward the Great. First album to get me into Metal. Similarly wore it down.
Underoath - They're Only Chasing Safety. Brilliance, got me out of Metal.
Virgin Steele - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell Part 2. Perhaps the best album I've ever heard in terms of consistency. Only 1 possible weak track.
Pain of Salvation - Remedy Lane. Probably the most emotional album ever composed. Cry-worthy.

Never thought I'd see Limp Bizkit and Virgin Steele in the same post. Um...good on you sir?:eyes:

ravenheart
05-30-2010, 01:31 PM
Never thought I'd see Limp Bizkit and Virgin Steele in the same post. Um...good on you sir?:eyes:

Miss. :lol:

ravenheart
05-30-2010, 01:32 PM

Yes! Spectacular album.

JRA
05-30-2010, 01:34 PM
Miss. :lol:

I see what you did there.

jerry1013
05-30-2010, 02:01 PM
KISS - Crazy Nights

First album, the title track was my first favorite song and that album is what introduced me to the boys, a combo of seeing them on the HITS tour and a combo of Revenge hooked me.

Thin Lizzy - Jailbreak

Got the album for a dollar, the first song (Jailbreak) made my jaw hit the floor. Spent the next couple of weeks hunting the rest of the albums down.

Anthrax - Among The Living

Just was starstruck by it....loved it. My first Metal record. :D

Now I have a shit load of albums I think are great and classic, but those I can safely say changed my life.

HollowShell
07-13-2010, 07:20 PM
Katatonia-"Night Is The New Day"
Pink Floyd-"The Dark Side Of The Moon"
Nevermore-"Dreaming Neon Black"
Black Sabbath-"Sabbath Bloody Sabbath"
Opeth-"Damnation"

All very dark and haunting releases. There are several more. These were the first five to come to mind.

rjmartinez91
10-28-2010, 12:06 AM
I really like this thread, so I thought I'd post on it.
Kind of embarrassing but whatever.

1. The Beatles: Abbey Road
My dad was the one who used to love to play The Beatles all dayyyy long at home when I was a kid and I'd always hear either I Want You or Because and Come Together. It was one of his favorite albums and he gave it to me, and from then on I loved The Beatles all through grammar school and up to middleschool. I still have a lot of beatles stuff in my room. It changed my life because it made me closer to my dad because I wasn't really close to my mom. It gave me a sense of my own personal likes when it came to music.

2. Led Zeppelin: Box Set (1990) 4-discs
No one really gave me this. I took it from my dad without telling him. I heard him blasting it in his car, fell in love and listened to these cds almost everyday in middle school and high school. I loved it so much because Led Zeppelin were something new to me. I'd never really heard of them, and I wasn't exposed to the mainstream as a kid because I was into other things like playing in the mud in our apartment complexes instead of watching mtv all day long. With songs like Achilles Last Stand and Nobody's Fault But Mine, the shit was badass to me. I still listen to them :finger:

3. Korn: Greatist Hits vol. 1
Fuck Idk how to begin with this. Lol. This album changed my life because...Idk I guess I liked it so damn much that I had to see them for my very first concert, one of the best days of my life. It was heavy, the lyrics were very fucken personal and this cd basically got me into some metal, even though Korn is just Nu-Metal. At that point I had only been listening to classic rock and some punk. But yeah, this cd and most of their other albums helped me through a lot of tough shit and got me into different genres of music.

4. Rob Zombie: Hellbilly Deluxe
I instantly fell in love with Rob Zombie because of this album and yeah I still listen to Zombie. :rocker: It changed my life cause it kind of influenced my own personality, and it added to my own personal style of what I was into. I was kinda outcast in high school and I liked to wear black and I was into all the dark stuff and I liked dancing to this and industrial music. I loved Type O Negative, Lacuna Coil and my leather boots. Kind of a weird time for me, to be honest lol.

5. Iron Maiden: Dance of Death
This album recently changed my life...like beginning of this year, recently. It wasn't my first maiden album. I had The Number of The Beast album, but I can't really say that it changed my life. RJTurtle9 came to my house and let me have a lot of his music, and this led me to falling in love with Iron Maiden. And I don't care what anyone says, I just really fucking love this album :rocker: and Iron Maiden is now one of my favorite bands, and it has introduced so much more of their music to me. I've only seen them from the lawn, I hope to be much closer next year.

I hope I don't die for posting this. Lol. :eyes:

rjturtle9
10-28-2010, 12:26 AM
5. Iron Maiden: Dance of Death
This album recently changed my life...like beginning of this year, recently. It wasn't my first maiden album. I had The Number of The Beast album, but I can't really say that it changed my life. Someone came to my house and let me have a lot of his music, and this led me to falling in love with Iron Maiden. And I don't care what anyone says, I just really fucking love this album :rocker: and Iron Maiden is now one of my favorite bands, and it has introduced so much more of their music to me. I've only seen them from the lawn, I hope to be much closer next year.

I aint giving you anymore music!

Wizzbang11
10-28-2010, 07:27 AM
So whats with the RJ and turtle ties between your friends screen names?
I must know...:)

elturtleboy
10-28-2010, 11:51 AM

he's cheating on me with her:bawling:

Derelict
10-28-2010, 11:54 AM

they like to fuck turtles in their free time...sickos.

Indestructible
10-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Evanescence - Fallen

System Of A Down- Toxicity

Disturbed - Believe

I remember getting into rock and metal a little bit when I was 10 these were the albums that got me into these bands

Rush - Vapor trails
I started listening to rush not to long after Vapor Trails came out. I was ten when this album came out, I think One Little Victory was the first Rush song I heard.

Nightwish - Century Child
I really got into metal when I was 12 Nightwish was one of the bands I loved right away. Century Child is my favorite Nightwish album.

DethMaiden
10-28-2010, 12:17 PM
I really got into metal when I was 12 Nightwish was one of the bands I loved right away. Century Child is my favorite Nightwish album.

So last year?

rjmartinez91
10-28-2010, 12:40 PM

Lol...Well It just so happens that we have the same first two initials.
Turtle Boy is just called Turtle Boy because...Idk. And RJTurtle has had Turtle as his nickname since he was like in middle school I guess? Cause he kinda looked like a Turtle.

rjmartinez91
10-28-2010, 12:42 PM
he's cheating on me with her:bawling:

Lol Turtle Boy you're losing your mind. You know you're his main squeeze. :lol:

Indestructible
10-28-2010, 12:50 PM
So last year?

No about 5 or 6 years ago.So I got into them in about 2004 or 2005.

Unlike most of you I got into bands like disturbed at 10 and I still listen to them today.

Maiden33
10-28-2010, 01:26 PM
Evanescence - Fallen

System Of A Down- Toxicity

Disturbed - Believe

I remember getting into rock and metal a little bit when I was 10 these were the albums that got me into these bands

Rush - Vapor trails
I started listening to rush not to long after Vapor Trails came out. I was ten when this album came out, I think One Little Victory was the first Rush song I heard.

$50 says this list changes by the end of the year. Hell, the end of the week.

hubub454
10-28-2010, 01:31 PM
1 Linkin Park - Hybrid Theory
2 System of a Down - Toxicity
3 Killswitch Engage - End of a Heartache
4 Metallica - Ride the Lightening
5 Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake

Indestructible
10-28-2010, 02:40 PM
$50 says this list changes by the end of the year. Hell, the end of the week.

Vapor Trails and Century child are likly to change,but the other 3 wont

illuminatus917
10-28-2010, 05:33 PM
This is impossible for me to do... perhaps if it was extended to 20 albums...

I do know Operation: Mindcrime by Queensryche would be on there. This is one of the first albums I listened to after complete immersion in The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Zeppelin, Rush (and bands of the like), etc... After hearing Silent Lucidity off Empire I thought this band would be like what I was used to. But it wasn't... and it sent my tastes in a new direction. It got me started into 80's metal, particularly thrash. Then, through thrash/death bridge bands, I swayed into the more extreme genres.

The other one I'd have to put on there would be F#A# Infinite by Godspeed You! Black Emperor. This one sent me into a post-rock/classical/jazz/punk/experimental/alternative direction, and just aided in broadening my musical horizons in general outside the boundaries of metal.

I can't go beyond these. Rust In Peace might be on there, or Ashes Against the Grain by Agalloch.

Sepultura69
10-28-2010, 09:48 PM
1. BATHORY - Blood Fire Death
2. Sepultura - Beneath The Remains
3. Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss
4. Metallica - Ride The Lightning
5. ORGANIZED KONFUSION - Stress the Extinction Agenda

There is way more albums that have changed my life but sadly I can only choose up to 5. But If I had to new a few more it would be Evil Empire by Rage Against the Machine, 36 Chambers by Wu Tang, Gorillaz Self title Debut(I think everything after there first album is utter crap)LIST GOES ONN

mankvill
10-28-2010, 10:51 PM
36 Chambers by Wu Tang

BEST

TonyD
10-28-2010, 11:12 PM
Unlike most of you I got into bands like disturbed at 10 and I still listen to them today.

Yeah most of us got over that shit at 11 or 12.

Sepultura69
10-28-2010, 11:15 PM
BEST
I remember like it was yesterday. years and years ago a homie of mine blased an epic song in his car. It was like nothing I had ever heard of before and he told me the song was called C.R.E.A.M...l immediately went and bought the album at best buy with a gift card i had....surprisingly....I hated it....the only song I liked was bring da ruckus and cream but after a month or 2 it just grew on me(this was eons ago like 2004)and I have been a devoted wu tang fan ever since...I have Seen Wu Tang Clan 3 times in concert I have also seen almost all the members individually at there own headlining shows

*Ive seen GZA 3 times at his own shows all of them he played liquid swords in its entirety, I have seen raekwon and ghost do a gig 2gether, I seen raekwon 5 times at his own headlining show, last time i saw him was at a bar 5 min away from my house in august of 2009, the list goes on*

"WU TANG IS FOR THE CHILDREN" - Gza

TonyD
10-28-2010, 11:29 PM
I remember like it was yesterday. years and years ago a homie of mine blased an epic song in his car. It was like nothing I had ever heard of before and he told me the song was called C.R.E.A.M...l immediately went and bought the album at best buy with a gift card i had....surprisingly....I hated it....the only song I liked was bring da ruckus and cream but after a month or 2 it just grew on me(this was eons ago like 2004)and I have been a devoted wu tang fan ever since...I have Seen Wu Tang Clan 3 times in concert I have also seen almost all the members individually at there own headlining shows

*Ive seen GZA 3 times at his own shows all of them he played liquid swords in its entirety, I have seen raekwon and ghost do a gig 2gether, I seen raekwon 5 times at his own headlining show, last time i saw him was at a bar 5 min away from my house in august of 2009, the list goes on*

Cool story bro

jd091
10-29-2010, 12:21 AM
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
This album simply cannot be put into words. It is my favorite of all time, and probably always will be. Every song, every riff, every growl and soft note sung is perfect. I get something different out of it every time I listen. Mikael Akerfeldt is probably the best songwriter I've ever heard, of any genre. If you are an Opeth fan, you know exactly how I feel. I always go between this and Blackwater Park, but in the end I feel the songs in BP tend to drag a bit. From the opening growls of Ghost of Perdition to the soft exit of Isolation Years, this album manages to hook me in, flowing over me like a cool river of awesomeness. Genius.

Metallica - Master of Puppets
From 7th - 9th grade, Metallica was the only thing I listened to. At all. Master of Puppets was the first album I ever bought, and probably changed my musical interests more than anything. Before I loved classic rock: AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, Rush, Guns 'n Roses. After, I was converted into a complete metalhead. From that eventful day, I never went back. Although looking back today the album seems a little simplistic and not as thoughtful as some others I've heard (cough cough, *ANY OPETH ALBUM*, cough), it changed me the most. Thank you, Metallica.

Lamb of God - Ashes of the Wake
Oh boy. Wow. What can I say? This was the next logical step for me after Metallica, but about twice as heavy. This was the first album I learned all the guitar riffs to, and first album I learned all the lyrics to. And if it wasn't for Ghost Reveries, it would be my favorite of all time. There is no bad song; every one is catchy and makes me bang my head. Not to mention it is perfect to work out to; I would be about 100 pounds heavier if it wasn't for this. The groove on this album is so good it hurts. Their best album by far.

Necrophagist - Onset of Putrefaction
Its hard to choose between this or Epitaph (since they are both so insanely awesome), but every time I hear that solo in Fermented Offal Discharge I have to side with this.:rocker: This album is the one I always default to when people disregard metal as noise. Necrophagist manages to wield together the perfect mix of classical, speed, and brutality. Its crazy to think that all those songs are in standard tuning or D standard; they are so much heavier than any deathcore shit out there today.

Meshuggah - Alive
I have to go with this one because it's the perfect blend of old and new Meshuggah tunes, along with proving the fact that they play perfectly live. And that it was the only thing I listened to for about 2 weeks after it came out.Once I eventually found Meshuggah, it changed the way I viewed music. Even though I'm a guitar player I have to go with Tomas Haake here: probably the best drummer I've ever witnessed, and definitely the most underrated. Other than Opeth, Meshuggah is the most talented band in metal right now. With every song on this album, they manage to send my brain spiraling off, figuring out (and most times failing) at the genius of their rhythm and songwriting. And Bleed... :rocker:

So there we go. I feel like this list is always changing for me, so I'll mention some other great albums that come around this mark for me (in no particular order):
Opeth - Deliverence
Opeth - Blackwater Park
Lamb of God - As the Palaces Burn
Behemoth - Demigod
Between the Buried and Me - Colors
Scale the Summit - Carving Desert Canyons :drool:
The Sword - Age of Winters
Decapitated - Nihility
Mastodon - Blood Mountain
Radiohead - OK Computer (Sorry... I love this album... :tp:)
Nile - Annihilation of the Wicked
Metallica - ...And Justice For All
After the Burial - Rareform

Last but defenitely not least: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart - Divertimenti in D Major!!!! :light:

My favorite set of songs. Ever. No joke. That man was a musical genius.:rocker:

Indestructible
10-29-2010, 03:31 AM
Yeah most of us got over that shit at 11 or 12.

I don't get why. I've been listening to Disturbed since I was 10 and haven't stopped.

daimonos
10-29-2010, 06:11 AM
Opeth - Ghost Reveries
This album simply cannot be put into words. It is my favorite of all time, and probably always will be. Every song, every riff, every growl and soft note sung is perfect. I get something different out of it every time I listen. Mikael Akerfeldt is probably the best songwriter I've ever heard, of any genre. If you are an Opeth fan, you know exactly how I feel. I always go between this and Blackwater Park, but in the end I feel the songs in BP tend to drag a bit. From the opening growls of Ghost of Perdition to the soft exit of Isolation Years, this album manages to hook me in, flowing over me like a cool river of awesomeness. Genius.

Nice to know someone else here loves Opeth as much as I do. Ghost Reveries isn't my favorite, but if I were by some miracle actually able to rate them, it would be near the top. I think it's a pretty underlooked album.

treghet
10-29-2010, 08:09 AM
I don't get why. I've been listening to Disturbed since I was 10 and haven't stopped.

:lol:

Nick_to_the_face
10-29-2010, 08:21 AM
Hmmm....

Lamb of God- Ashes of The Wake
Cradle of Filth- Midian
Dope- Group Therapy
Disturbed- The Sickness (shut up)
Slayer- Reign in Blood

and i might trade one of those for Mushroomhead's XX or Savior Sorrow

jd091
10-29-2010, 02:58 PM
Nice to know someone else here loves Opeth as much as I do. Ghost Reveries isn't my favorite, but if I were by some miracle actually able to rate them, it would be near the top. I think it's a pretty underlooked album.

I know how you feel. After you listen to an entire Opeth album, you're like, "Shit, this one is the best!" They're all so amazing. One day, it will be Blackwater Park, then Deliverance, then My Arms, Your Hearse, then Damnation, then Morningrise, then even Watershed... in the end, I think for an Opeth fan that your favorite album is a very personal decision. Ghost Reveries has a special place in my metal loving heart, but is it better than their others? I can't say. Damn; few other bands make me feel that way.

Oh, and your avatar picture is win :party:

daimonos
10-29-2010, 03:06 PM
I know how you feel. After you listen to an entire Opeth album, you're like, "Shit, this one is the best!" They're all so amazing. One day, it will be Blackwater Park, then Deliverance, then My Arms, Your Hearse, then Damnation, then Morningrise, then even Watershed... in the end, I think for an Opeth fan that your favorite album is a very personal decision. Ghost Reveries has a special place in my metal loving heart, but is it better than their others? I can't say. Damn; few other bands make me feel that way.

Oh, and your avatar picture is win :party:

Thanks! Axioma is my favorite album of the year so far.

I think it's safe to say that Still Life, Blackwater Park, Morningrise, and Ghost Reveries make up the highest tier of my Opeth album rankings, but everything else changes.

IrritatedTrout
11-02-2010, 11:26 PM
1. Iron Maiden - Seventh Son of a Seventh Son

This one was hard to pick because I actually didn't have the full 7th Son album until I had been into Maiden for a few months (mostly due to the fact that I didn't buy the albums for a good while because I was afraid my parents would see the cover art and get pissed). However, the track that got me into Maiden, heavy metal, and even rock and roll in general was Infinite Dreams. I had never heard of Maiden before but my friend recommended them and I liked his Maiden t shirt so I tuned into a metal AOL radio station (lol I had no idea how to find music back in the day so this was the best option I could think of) and waited for a Maiden song. Infinite Dreams came on and blew my mind. I had never, ever heard anything like it before. I thought I was in love with it but it was so different than what I was used to I couldn't be sure. I waited for another Maiden song to come on (which turned out to be Ancient Mariner) and I loved that one too. The rest is history.

2. Iron Maiden - A Matter of Life and Death

This came out right as I was going through a pretty crappy part of my life. I was feeling lost, having friends turn their backs on me, having to own up to the fact that my behavior in those recent years had finally caught up to me and made the bed I was lying in. Basically I was reaping a lot of the bad things I'd sown in my life. This album came out and took my mind away from having to deal with that. Funny thing is that at first I really disliked it and then one day it all just clicked. It's my favorite album of all time and I have no doubts that it'll stay that way.

3. Rush - 2112

I bought this one at the peak of my "try and find the most brutal metal out there" period. Basically I dismissed most hard rock bands because I thought all these aggressive metal bands did it better and faster than the classics. This showed me the folly of my ways. Hard rock (as big of an umbrella as that term is) is now my preferred genre.

4. Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss

This record seemed like the fastest, darkest, most evil thing ever recorded when I first heard it. I was blown away by the aggression and I loved the fact that the record felt like pure evil to a naive 16 year old. This record gave me a new appreciation for fast tempos and dark lyrics. I actually intended to buy Reign in Blood that day at the record store but I thought my parents would find out that it had a parental guidance sticker on it and I'd get in a lot of trouble. :lol: So I bought the only Slayer album they had that didn't have that sticker.

5. Black Sabbath - We Sold Our Souls For Rock N Roll

I had been heavily into Maiden for about a year and I was really struggling to find any other bands that I enjoyed. I saw Sabbath play with Maiden at Ozzfest 05 and I was really impressed by their performance so not long after the show I went out and bought an album. I didn't know what to get so I just picked up the greatest hits. I fell in love with tracks like NIB, Snowblind, and Sabbath Bloody Sabbath. Although this compilation is missing a lot of essential tracks and includes a few songs I didn't like (Am I Going Insane?, Changes) I still have to give it credit for getting me really into my first band that wasn't Maiden.

El Gordo
11-03-2010, 03:37 AM
Metallica - Ride the Lightning: The single most important album to me in terms of my musical tastes. I had heard Metallica before, but it didn't sound like this! I was originally going to buy Kill 'Em All but a friend convinced me to buy this album instead. I'm glad he did, I don't think Kill 'Em All would've had the same impact on me. When I popped that tape into my Walkman (lulz) and the guitars in Fight Fire With Fire swelled in, a thrash metal maniac was born.

Black Sabbath - Paranoid: Before I bought this album, I had only really listened to Metallica, Megadeth, Pantera and a few others. This made me realize metal didn't need to be played at breakneck speeds to be good. It also started me on my love affair with Sabbath. Without this album I never would have stumbled upon Dio.

COC - Deliverance: I saw a buddy in high school wearing a COC - Deliverance t-shirt and it looked cool so I decided I should buy the album. I'm glad I did, COC has become one of my favourite bands and it started me down a path that would lead to Kyuss, Down, Crowbar, etc.

The Tragically Hip - Day For Night: All the Birkenstock-wearing hippies at my high school hailed the Hip as gods, so it was natural for me to despise the Canadian rock icons. Too bad the music is actually good. This album in particular has a lot more going on than your standard rock album. There's a dark undertone to it that spoke to me when I was young and still speaks to me now.

Hendrix - The Ultimate Experience: I barely ever listen to Hendrix now but in high school this was the shit. I was stuck in a hospital bed for 11 days when I was 17 and the awesome soundscapes got me through a lot of it. I actually stole this CD from one of my best friends and still have it to this day, ha!

rjturtle9
11-05-2010, 10:57 AM
they like to fuck turtles in their free time...sickos.

:lol:

xStructualDefect
11-05-2010, 11:08 AM

i'm 19 and have been listening to Korn, Slipknot, and Linkin Park since i was 9. but mostly for nostalgia and definitely not as much. i pretty much deleted all the other nu metal bands off my library though.

Sepultura69
11-05-2010, 03:44 PM
Slayer - Seasons in the Abyss

This record seemed like the fastest, darkest, most evil thing ever recorded when I first heard it. I was blown away by the aggression and I loved the fact that the record felt like pure evil to a naive 16 year old. This record gave me a new appreciation for fast tempos and dark lyrics. I actually intended to buy Reign in Blood that day at the record store but I thought my parents would find out that it had a parental guidance sticker on it and I'd get in a lot of trouble. :lol: So I bought the only Slayer album they had that didn't have that sticker.
AGREED COMRADE....Glad to see someone els whos life was changed by this magnificent album....:rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker::rocker:: rocker:

I still never forget the first time I heard war ensemble:rocker::rocker::rocker:.....

hailthecrisis
11-13-2010, 09:42 AM
Alice Cooper - Mascara and Monsters. I remembering watching Wayne's World and seeing Alice play Feed My Frankenstein. So I bought this album, and of course it was nothing like that song. After my inital disappointment, I listened to the album again and feel in love with it. And it preluded my love for bands like Sabbath, Zeppelin, Deep Purple. Alice Cooper was my starting point for classic rock/metal.

Megadeth - Countdown to Extinction. I was flipping through channels late one night and saw the video for Symphony of Destruction (on Much Loud). It was the best thing in the world to me at the time. This album got played constantly. All my love for Thrash and Metal started here.

Pantera - Cowboys From Hell. This was the first album I heard when I was starting to get into much heavier music. It was so much more intense then anything I had ever heard before.

Rush - A Farewell to Friends. I found this in my mom's collection one day. It changed my entire outlook on what rock/metal could be. Spawned my love of prog music.

Opeth - Blackwater park. My love of metal and prog combined into one band. I remember thinking this was the pinnacle of music. haha I became slightly obsessed with this album for months after first hearing it.

JRA
11-13-2010, 09:55 AM

Except that's an ODB quote.

Sepultura69
11-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Except that's an ODB quote.

Wu Tang is For the Children is also A Gza Quote. I saw him a at a show awhile back in 08 he was drunk off his ass screaming the word multiple times. Infact I think alot of the members use taht quote.....wait...

I thought you didn't like Wu Tang :confused: