PDA

View Full Version : Physical music collections

IrritatedTrout
05-23-2010, 04:36 PM
I figure it would be interesting to see what the size of our music collections are like as most of us probably still purchase CDs or vinyl instead of just downloading.

Mine is:

281 CDs
25 DVDs
7 Tapes
2 VHS
11 Boxsets
4 7"s
6 LPs

How about y'all?

mankvill
05-23-2010, 04:37 PM
http://metal-archives.com/usercol.php?id=78162&nickname=mankvill

There's most of my metal. All are CD's except Kreator - Flag of Hate is Vinyl and Heaten - Victims of Deception is on tape.

Dissimulate
05-23-2010, 04:38 PM
I have like 40 CDs and about a Terabyte of downloaded music.

ravenheart
05-23-2010, 05:09 PM
2582 CD albums/EPs
272 CD singles
187 DVDs
45 Boxsets
1 7" single
2 12" singles

I think.

0 downloads.

mankvill
05-23-2010, 05:18 PM
2582 CD albums/EPs
272 CD singles
187 DVDs
45 Boxsets
1 7" single
2 12" singles

I think.

0 downloads.

*high-five* my fellow CD-bro

ravenheart
05-23-2010, 05:20 PM
*high-five* my fellow CD-bro

Feels good to keep music alive instead of killing it, doesn't it? ;)

TonyD
05-23-2010, 05:27 PM
Oh man, here we go.
This is just singles: The black Crystal Skull 7" is one of my crown jewels, 1/100.
http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/powerage225/Photo0100.jpghttp://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/powerage225/Photo0101.jpghttp://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a20/powerage225/Photo0102.jpg

ravenheart
05-23-2010, 05:28 PM
Too much QOTSA in that image.

BloodoftheKings
05-23-2010, 05:36 PM
115 cds
2 casset tapes
2 dvds
0 downloads

Cynicist
05-23-2010, 06:14 PM
912 cds
17 DVDs & VHS

DethMaiden
05-23-2010, 06:51 PM
553 CDs (two box sets among this, count that how you will)
~15 DVDs (don't feel like going upstairs, derr)
1 10" vinyl

And with the unexpected brethren on this thread I'm happy to say 0 downloads. :D

Wizzbang11
05-23-2010, 07:07 PM
Metal:
111 12" records
6 10" records
31 7" records
1 8" record
1 5" record
4 tapes
http://img23.imageshack.us/img23/6950/60177038.jpg
Uh probably a hundred CDs, 30 or 40 of which are metal.
http://img62.imageshack.us/img62/7921/80249687.jpg
DVD's between Videodrome and The Simpsons Season 2 are music, thats like half a shelf if you cant see the titles (which you probably can't.)
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/7933/10346443.jpg

A lot of downloads too, but thats not physical so I dont know why it's mentioned here at all.

idrinkwine732
05-23-2010, 07:34 PM
What's with the lack of Vio-Lence icon?

Wizzbang11
05-23-2010, 07:46 PM
What's with the lack of Vio-Lence icon?

What?

idrinkwine732
05-23-2010, 08:09 PM
No more Vio-Lence Icon, that bums me out.

Maiden33
05-23-2010, 08:17 PM
I don't have exact numbers of anything, but if I had to render a guess:

About 450-500 CDs
About 40 DVDs
10 LPs
4 VHS
3 Cassettes

I have several hundred albums downloaded/ripped/burned/etc that I don't own, but I have no shame. It's mostly a tool for checking out new music, but I spend pretty much everything I can on buying music I love - so I'm not going to feel guilty for having a much bigger interest in music than I can afford.

Wizzbang11
05-23-2010, 08:38 PM
No more Vio-Lence Icon, that bums me out.

From me?
I had a Massacre icon :eyes:

EDIT: ok, I think I see the confusion..
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fa/Vio-lence_-_Eternal_Nightmare_Front.JPG
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/06/Massacre_-_From_Beyond.jpg

idrinkwine732
05-23-2010, 08:55 PM
I could have sworn to god you had Eternal Nightmare as your icon earlier...

Wizzbang11
05-23-2010, 08:58 PM
I could have sworn to god you had Eternal Nightmare as your icon earlier...

Nope :D
If I remember I had...
A picture of a sasquatch
Barathrum- Legions of Perkele
Revenge- Infiltration.Downfall.Death.
Massacre- From Beyond
and as of today
GWAR- America Must Be Destroyed

idrinkwine732
05-23-2010, 09:09 PM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_p61z2enroU4/Sle89oVqosI/AAAAAAAAERU/Gr8dno791KQ/s400/Massacre+-+From+Beyond+(1991).jpg

That's eerily similar to Eternal Nightmare.

TonyD
05-23-2010, 11:50 PM
115 cds
2 casset tapes
2 dvds
0 downloads
CDs are hip again?
Too much QOTSA in that image.
Too much rock n roll for you.

mastodon421
05-24-2010, 06:14 AM
267 CD's
6 DVD's
0 Vinyls/Tapes

Sanitarium78
05-24-2010, 06:36 AM
I don't have exact numbers but my CD collection is well over 1,000. That number would be higher but through the years here and there you lose some along the way from moving or whatever. For DVDs i've probably got around 50 that have to do with music. I've also got hundreds of cassettes lying around various parts from my place that date back to when I first started collecting music when I was a youngling.

ravenheart
05-24-2010, 07:02 AM
I don't have exact numbers but my CD collection is well over 1,000. That number would be higher but through the years here and there you lose some along the way from moving or whatever. For DVDs i've probably got around 50 that have to do with music. I've also got hundreds of cassettes lying around various parts from my place that date back to when I first started collecting music when I was a youngling.

If there's one thing I never lose, it's CDs. Far too important.

SomewhereInTime72
05-24-2010, 07:08 AM
I have around 225 CDs, and around 15 DVDs. ....And then stuff I hooligan'd of course. :(

Sanitarium78
05-24-2010, 07:19 AM
If there's one thing I never lose, it's CDs. Far too important.

The ones I lost weren't that important. Trust me, if the CD means something to me i'll always make sure nothing happens to it. Plus, even if I did lose an important one I can always purchase it again. So all is not lost when that occurs.

Wizzbang11
05-24-2010, 09:22 PM
I just did the math and I own physical copies of 1/9 of the metal music I listen to.
Ironically without illegal downloading I probably would not own even of third of what I do, nor would I have ever discovered a significant amount of my favorite music.

xStructualDefect
05-24-2010, 09:48 PM
i think i have about 70 CDs. 5 DVDs. i haven't bought a CD since 2007 though. CDs are waaay too expensive nowadays and i'd rather support a band by seeing them live or buying their merch.

Maiden33
05-24-2010, 09:50 PM
i think i have about 70 CDs. 5 DVDs. i haven't bought a CD since 2007 though. CDs are waaay too expensive nowadays and i'd rather support a band by seeing them live or buying their merch.

I agree, but they didn't randomly jack the prices up in the past couple of years. If anything, I think CD prices are coming down lately. FYE has had all single-disc non-special-edition CDs $9.99 new for like 6 months now. That's a lot of incentive to buy stuff you like. Unfortunately they still only stock about 5 new albums a year I'd want to own, and I'm probably being generous.

rjturtle9
05-24-2010, 11:33 PM

I agree with that part. i don't think they are expensive, instead rather cheap, like what Maiden33 said, but with all the shows and merch I have to pay for, I barely have enough money for anything else. I collect vinyls, but I haven't had much cash lately for them.

xStructualDefect
05-25-2010, 12:14 AM
i actually haven't looked at the prices for CDs for awhile, but last time i remember checking most CDs were about 17.99 at most stores. and "on sale" CDs would be about 12.99. maybe it sounds selfish to some people but i'd much rather download a CD because i cannot afford CDs.

i could barely even afford going to shows nowadays, i've only been to 2 this year actually. ticketmaster charges $25-$30 + 10 (convenience charges) for most shows in the hollywood area, and i honestly think that is asking for waay too fucking much to see a band like finntroll, epica, sonata arctica, arch enemy, iced earth, kamelot, sodom, naglfar, etc. all bands just mentioned shows were at the price range i said. a big reason why my going to concerts rate have heavily declined within the past year. i also think that's why some metal shows aren't as packed as you used to see them nowadays.

SomewhereInTime72
05-25-2010, 05:57 AM
Well, I buy less CDs than I used to now. Mainly because I mostly decided that with very few exceptions (i.e. a new album I'm real excited for and want asap, or an older album I really want that never ever seems to change in price,) I'm just not going to pay more than around $11 for a CD ever. I've gotten a lot of good stuff since then, so I'm pretty happy at all the money I've been saving. :cool:

Not that I really need to save money on CDs anymore, considering how much money I'm continually stowing away thanks to my job/lifestyle.

mastodon421
05-25-2010, 06:23 AM
i actually haven't looked at the prices for CDs for awhile, but last time i remember checking most CDs were about 17.99 at most stores. and "on sale" CDs would be about 12.99. maybe it sounds selfish to some people but i'd much rather download a CD because i cannot afford CDs.

i could barely even afford going to shows nowadays, i've only been to 2 this year actually. ticketmaster charges $25-$30 + 10 (convenience charges) for most shows in the hollywood area, and i honestly think that is asking for waay too fucking much to see a band like finntroll, epica, sonata arctica, arch enemy, iced earth, kamelot, sodom, naglfar, etc. all bands just mentioned shows were at the price range i said. a big reason why my going to concerts rate have heavily declined within the past year. i also think that's why some metal shows aren't as packed as you used to see them nowadays.

I agree I download a lot more than I buy. Thankfully Newbury Comics has most cd's for 9.99 the 1st month they are out so that is when I tend to purchase them.

The Green and Black
05-25-2010, 06:43 AM
I am one of the most unorganized people on the planet, so I don't have exact numbers. I would say somewhere around 3,000 CDs maybe. Oh and zero downloads. :D

If nothing else, this forum has really encouraged me to be more aware of my musical surroundings, now only if I could get organzed!

Natrlhi
05-25-2010, 08:43 AM
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_p61z2enroU4/Sle89oVqosI/AAAAAAAAERU/Gr8dno791KQ/s400/Massacre+-+From+Beyond+(1991).jpg

That's eerily similar to Eternal Nightmare.

Don't feel bad...I thought the same thing for a long time. I was giving him a whole bunch of cred he didn't deserve during that time... :D

Maiden33
05-25-2010, 08:50 AM
Well, I buy less CDs than I used to now. Mainly because I mostly decided that with very few exceptions (i.e. a new album I'm real excited for and want asap, or an older album I really want that never ever seems to change in price,) I'm just not going to pay more than around $11 for a CD ever. I've gotten a lot of good stuff since then, so I'm pretty happy at all the money I've been saving. :cool:

This is pretty much how I feel. Frankly a lot of my CD buying went down the drain when a local record shop closed a few years ago. I used to be a 10-minute drive from a place that stocked lots of great metal both new and old, and charged about $12 for a new CD. Now that that's gone, I don't have nearly the opportunity to buy as much as I used to, especially in physical stores, and especially at the prices I used to.

I preorded the new Avantasia albums and paid close to $20 for the pair, and I'll be buying the new Maiden and Blind Guardian albums in-store on the exact day of their release, but for the most part - I just download everything now whenever it becomes available - that way it satisfies my need to hear and enjoy it, and then buys me time to track it down at the price I actually want to pay for it.

Sanitarium78
05-25-2010, 09:09 AM
I just download everything now whenever it becomes available - that way it satisfies my need to hear and enjoy it, and then buys me time to track it down at the price I actually want to pay for it.

That's what I do as well now. Downloading I actually consider a good screening process for albums. Instead of blowing a few hundered dollars on shit you may not like, you get to hear the stuff before deciding weather or not to spend the money on the CDs. It's actually saved me a TON of money over the last couple years now and it's also got me to become of fan of several artists I otherwise would've gone on knowing nothing about. The other main reason I do this now is because I barely listen to any actuall CDs anymore. When I get a CD I save it to my computer and then put it on my iPOD. Those are the two main ways I listen to everything now. My CD collection is pretty much just sitting around collecting dust now.

There's also cases where I know i'm gonna buy an album and i'll still download it. The new Nevermore is a perfect example of that. I pre-ordered the CD off their MySpace page but the album has been available on the torrent sites for a few weeks now so I still downloaded it. Even if you're gonna buy the album if it's available for you to listen to it that far in advance why wouldn't someone do it if they're a fan of the band?

Maiden33
05-25-2010, 09:11 AM
Downloading I actually consider a good screening process for albums. Instead of blowing a few hundered dollars on shit you may not like, you get to hear the stuff before deciding weather or not to spend the money on the CDs. It's actually saved me a TON of money over the last couple years now and it's also got me to become of fan of several artists I otherwise would've gone on knowing nothing about

Bingo. 100% Agreed.

Natrlhi
05-25-2010, 09:11 AM
I'm not sure of the exact count, and I'm not able to do it right now anyway, but here are my best estimates:

500+ CD's (at least) - about 75% of which is metal of some type
~50 to 75 audio cassettes (I'll explain what those are to some of you kids if you don't know ;))
At least fifty DVD's, most of which are metal

I also have a ton of mp3's. I'm not going to say how much, because the quantity is really irrelevant. I just wanted to weigh in on the download issue. Whle I certainly appreciate and agree with Ravenheart's comment about feeling good to "support music and not kill it", I am also a downloader, and I'll tell you why: I get exposed to so much stuff that way, that it inevitably ends up meaning I spend money on bands that I would have otherwise passed over. Plain and simple.

If I think I might like it, I download it. If I like it, I buy it. Almost every CD I have purchased in the last few years was downloaded first, but I have spent literally thousands of dollars on CD's, concert tickets and merch, so I have not one shred of guilt about it. I even make it a point to wait until seeing a band live to buy their CD if I can, because more of the money goes directly to them that way (plus, I usually save money in the process as well ;)).

Note I am not advocating unfettered filesharing by hooligans, which I am very against. All I can do is keep my side of the street clean, and that's what I do. So many bands have my love and respect - and yes, hard-earned dollars - because of the way I do things, that I just know in my heart that I'm doing the right thing. What others do is up to them, but I firmly support the bands I love by buying their music and merch, and spreading the word about their music in forums such as this.

...and back to Ravenheart's point, that feels good to me.

ravenheart
05-25-2010, 10:01 AM
Personally I never download albums. I don't need to because I don't need to hear an album all the way through to know if I want to buy it or not. Samples/clips/songs on MySpace etc. are enough.

What helps is I also don't have the need to hear things as soon as they come out. I listen to samples, decide if I want it, then it sits on my wishlist, sometimes for years, until it's cheap, then I buy it. Until then, I simply don't hear that album. Makes buying it all the more worthwhile, and I've got more than enough to listen to in the mean time.

JuuKun
05-25-2010, 10:15 AM
If anyone is ever in an area that has a Newbury Comics (From what I understand they're only up here in the Northeast, maybe just New England, but I could be wrong), I highly recommend checking it out. Not counting my online ReVamp preorder a few weeks ago since it's a Euro import with a bonus track, I haven't paid more than $15 for a CD in a long time since I do almost all my CD buying here now. In fact, I picked up two Nocturnal Rites CDs & the new Orphaned Land there yesterday for just a little over $20 together. I think I bought a Sinergy CD there once for, like, two dollars. Only the used stuff is ever THAT low, but their used CDs are *always* in great condition. I've never had any problem buying used from there. They were also playing Tarot's "Crows Fly Black" album when I was in there yesterday, which was awesome. Their selection always surprises me, too, because they have a better Metal selection than any other chain I've ever seen.

As for the topic...

Around 350 CDs, 20 LPs, 20 DVDs, and 2 Cassettes

Natrlhi
05-25-2010, 10:19 AM
Personally I never download albums. I don't need to because I don't need to hear an album all the way through to know if I want to buy it or not. Samples/clips/songs on MySpace etc. are enough.

What helps is I also don't have the need to hear things as soon as they come out. I listen to samples, decide if I want it, then it sits on my wishlist, sometimes for years, until it's cheap, then I buy it. Until then, I simply don't hear that album. Makes buying it all the more worthwhile, and I've got more than enough to listen to in the mean time.
Again, I agree. The difference between our approaches - which really aren't all that different, when it comes to the core values we both seem to believe in - is that I don't often have time to listen to the things I want to check out by streaming them on a computer. I live an hour away from work, so that commute time in the car is my primary listening time. I download stuff so I can burn it to CD and check it out in the car.

I also listen a lot while I'm actually at the office working, and due to bandwidth restrictions and quota time on web sites such as MySpace, I can't really stream stuff at work, either. Thus, I've really no choice but to download stuff and burn it to CD for the car or dump it to my portable hard drive (AKA the "music vault") so I can listen during the times when I'm most available.

I only wish it was my full-time job to listen to music and comment on it...then I wouldn't have to download anything, the time management thing would take care of itself, and I'd be one happy camper! ;)

ravenheart
05-25-2010, 10:52 AM
I live an hour away from work

Is that all? Amateur ;)

ravenheart
05-25-2010, 10:54 AM
I only wish it was my full-time job to listen to music and comment on it...then I wouldn't have to download anything, the time management thing would take care of itself, and I'd be one happy camper! ;)

I wish this, but in the old days. Before all the labels started delivering everything in garbage formats.

Wizzbang11
05-25-2010, 04:43 PM
Don't feel bad...I thought the same thing for a long time. I was giving him a whole bunch of cred he didn't deserve during that time... :D

Well, I'm going to have to go blow more cred because honestly, Massacre >>> Vio-Lence
:D

Natrlhi
05-26-2010, 07:57 AM
Well, I'm going to have to go blow more cred because honestly, Massacre >>> Vio-Lence
:D:lol: Could very well be. I know nothing of Massacre.

Uncle_Meat1940
05-26-2010, 12:28 PM
200+ LPs
20 - 30 singles
70 CDs or so from when I was a young'n
12 tapes
Looooots of downloads. hehe I make the effort to buy what I like though. I also see every fuckin band that comes through here that I like.