PDA

View Full Version : Red Dead Redemption

powerslave_85
05-23-2010, 01:28 AM
Best Rockstar game ever? Y/Y?

DethMaiden
05-23-2010, 07:17 AM
More like best GAME ever, Y/Y. God, it's so fucking good.

mankvill
05-23-2010, 01:34 PM
:party:

bt11763
05-23-2010, 01:42 PM
i played red dead revolver and i fucking loved it, but i need to get my xbox fixed. i haven't been able to buy any new games or play anything since november (red rings) :boohoo:

DethMaiden
05-23-2010, 03:07 PM
spoilers blah blah

Maybe it's because I don't really play video games but I didn't see the twist that Williamson's gone to Mexico coming. I've done the mission that puts you in Mexico and one mission there, and damn, this game is gonna be pretty long I think. Loving every minute of it though. Got my Mexican poncho outfit and I look like the Man With No Name, fuck yeah. :horns:

powerslave_85
05-24-2010, 12:27 PM
MORE SPOILERS

I'm in Mexico right now too. I can't wait until I'm done with the missions for those army guys; the idea of acting as a government mercenary who helps gun down rebels and find women for the colonel to rape is extremely distasteful to me, and I really wish I had a choice whether to do those missions. Right now I'm playing through the game being as honorable as possible. I've only had two bounties so far: one was because I HAD to steal a horse in one mission, and one from accidently killing a civilian during a shootout.

Also, does anyone else get attached to their horses? I felt really bad when one got caught in the crossfire of a shootout, and then again when I had to leave one behind when I crossed the river to Mexico :(

mankvill
05-24-2010, 01:27 PM
I haven't finished the game yet, but apparently the story of John Marston is one of the most heart-wrenching and gloriously sad stories of recent videogame protagonists.

Derelict
05-24-2010, 01:32 PM
MORE SPOILERS

I'm in Mexico right now too. I can't wait until I'm done with the missions for those army guys; the idea of acting as a government mercenary who helps gun down rebels and find women for the colonel to rape is extremely distasteful to me, and I really wish I had a choice whether to do those missions. Right now I'm playing through the game being as honorable as possible. I've only had two bounties so far: one was because I HAD to steal a horse in one mission, and one from accidently killing a civilian during a shootout.

Also, does anyone else get attached to their horses? I felt really bad when one got caught in the crossfire of a shootout, and then again when I had to leave one behind when I crossed the river to Mexico :(

After crossing into Mexico, I whistled for the horse I had been using in New Austin, and he magically appeared.

This game has been pretty easy so far (I just crossed into Mexico), but it's a lot of fun.

powerslave_85
05-24-2010, 01:55 PM
Really? Huh. I guess I just assumed that since they gave you another horse on the other side, that it wasn't possible. The magic teleporting horses are pretty funny. All the way on the other side of the map? Just whistle and he'll be there in like 10 seconds!

The only thing I can't get the hang of in this game is the lassoing. It took me like 15 fucking minutes to rope a wild mustang the first time around. I tried to take a bounty target alive, but I gave up with the lasso after like five tries and just shot him :lol:

Derelict
05-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Really? Huh. I guess I just assumed that since they gave you another horse on the other side, that it wasn't possible. The magic teleporting horses are pretty funny. All the way on the other side of the map? Just whistle and he'll be there in like 10 seconds!

The only thing I can't get the hang of in this game is the lassoing. It took me like 15 fucking minutes to rope a wild mustang the first time around. I tried to take a bounty target alive, but I gave up with the lasso after like five tries and just shot him :lol:

I jumped off the horse as soon as i was able in Mexico, and whistled, and the one I was using in New Austin showed right up. The magical horses thing is hilarious.

The first time I tried to lasso a bounty, i fucked it up beyond belief, and the guy ended up stealing my horse and dissapearing with it. I've gotten better at it though

DethMaiden
05-24-2010, 05:36 PM
MORE SPOILERS

I'm going for honor, too. No bounties. And I didn't really think too hard about the ramifications of the Mexico missions, but I think it's pretty clear that Marston doesn't like doing it, he just has to in order to get to Williamson. Which is kind of the central theme of the game, I think. He'll stop at nothing to get Bill Williamson, even doing immoral things in the process...and does that make him any better than Williamson himself?

And nah, all my horses die when I go off of cliff faces that are quicker than the roads. :lol: I just lasso and break new ones, there's wild horses EVERYWHERE.

EDIT: All the characters are awesome and the voice acting is top notch, but I absolutely fucking loved Mr. West Dickens. The cut scenes and missions with him have been my favorite part of the game. Hilarious stuff.

Derelict
05-24-2010, 08:00 PM
I'm going for honor, too. No bounties. And I didn't really think too hard about the ramifications of the Mexico missions, but I think it's pretty clear that Marston doesn't like doing it, he just has to in order to get to Williamson. Which is kind of the central theme of the game, I think. He'll stop at nothing to get Bill Williamson, even doing immoral things in the process...and does that make him any better than Williamson himself?

And nah, all my horses die when I go off of cliff faces that are quicker than the roads. :lol: I just lasso and break new ones, there's wild horses EVERYWHERE.

EDIT: All the characters are awesome and the voice acting is top notch, but I absolutely fucking loved Mr. West Dickens. The cut scenes and missions with him have been my favorite part of the game. Hilarious stuff.

He was good, loved Irish too

SirLardsAlot
05-24-2010, 09:47 PM
I haven't played Red Dead Revolver, will I be confused if I hadn't played it?

DethMaiden
05-24-2010, 09:49 PM

I haven't played that either. I'm pretty sure they're completely unrelated. I'm also pretty sure Red Dead Revolver was just a traditional third-person shooter, whereas this is a "sandbox game," as gay as that term is.

ChildrenofSodom
05-25-2010, 12:34 PM
I watched a few videos online of it. It looks cool enough, but I don't particularly care about the Wild West...looks like Legend of Zelda: Buckhunter.

NecroRob
05-25-2010, 09:54 PM
I just spent like an hour trying to get 5 boar tusks. I got mauled by cougars twice, a boar once, and double teamed by a cougar and boar another time. But I finally got my tusks :cool:

I should probably get my ass back in Mexico...:tp:

NecroRob
05-25-2010, 09:55 PM

They aren't related at all so don't worry about it.

DethMaiden
05-25-2010, 09:55 PM
I just spent like an hour trying to get 5 boar tusks. I got mauled by cougars twice, a boar once, and double teamed by a cougar and boar another time. But I finally got my tusks :cool:

I should probably get my ass back in Mexico...:tp:

:lol: I haven't done any of those question mark missions yet but I'm excited to do the one for the guy who's building a flying machine, just because I'm pretty sure it's gonna be hilarious when he fails. :D

NecroRob
05-26-2010, 02:14 AM
:lol: I haven't done any of those question mark missions yet but I'm excited to do the one for the guy who's building a flying machine, just because I'm pretty sure it's gonna be hilarious when he fails. :D

I'm working on that one right now. Took me forever to find 5 beavers. I thought I had everything I needed but when I got back to him I found out I needed one more red sage :mad:

NecroRob
05-27-2010, 01:41 AM
Just finished the game, or at least the story part of it (still have like 25% of the other stuff to do :tp:). Kind of a crazy ending.

Fires Of Sedition
05-27-2010, 08:15 AM
Finally got this in the mail yesterday. Got to play for about an hour before I left for work. I already <3 it.

powerslave_85
06-01-2010, 12:57 PM
I fucking hate mountain lions. Sneaky motherfuckers :mad:

DethMaiden
06-01-2010, 01:28 PM
I fucking hate mountain lions. Sneaky motherfuckers :mad:

:lol: You're one mission behind me, I think.

powerslave_85
06-01-2010, 01:35 PM
It wasn't a mission, just fucking around out in the wilderness (on my brother's saved game, and he's further along than I am). Bears are just as deadly, but at least they're a hell of a lot easier to spot.

DethMaiden
06-01-2010, 01:38 PM
It wasn't a mission, just fucking around out in the wilderness (on my brother's saved game, and he's further along than I am). Bears are just as deadly, but at least they're a hell of a lot easier to spot.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, the first cougar I encountered terrified me. I think I've gotta be getting close to finishing the game...but every fucking mission is a red herring that you're gonna be done and see your family again. :lol:

powerslave_85
06-01-2010, 01:43 PM
I'm not even done with Mexico yet, but that's because I was out of town for a week. I should be able to make good progress (if not finish it) this week/end.

Fires Of Sedition
06-01-2010, 02:15 PM
DUELING PISSES ME OFF

NecroRob
06-01-2010, 02:32 PM
I still have 14% of stuff to do like find treasure and collect bushes. For master gatherer level 10 you have to find 10 of this one type of plant and 2 more of EVERY other plant in the game :mad:

DethMaiden
06-03-2010, 10:54 PM
Just finished the game.

HOLY. SHIT.

Best game ever. Ending is going to keep me up all night. Holy fucking shit.

Fires Of Sedition
06-03-2010, 11:32 PM
Just finished the game.

HOLY. SHIT.

Best game ever. Ending is going to keep me up all night. Holy fucking shit.

AH.

Now I'm all excited and shit.

powerslave_85
06-04-2010, 09:42 AM
I'm so close! I think I only have one more mission before the last one. Unfortunately, it involves roping horses, and I FUCKING SUCK with the lasso. I gave up in frustration last night.

Also found out the hard way that bears usually travel in twos. I killed one, almost got killed by the other one before I finally killed it, and then was immediately trampled/mauled by two more that came out of nowhere :hecho:

powerslave_85
06-05-2010, 07:24 PM
Yeah, Brad's right. The ending is totally crazy. I loved it.

Right now I'm trying to complete all the hunting challenges. Just finding five skunks to skin was actually harder than killing two mountain lions with a knife.

jhdeity
06-06-2010, 05:50 PM
Cool game. Not as cool as GTA because of the cars and soundtracks to me. Plus is way easier than GTA.

Am I the only person having fukkin glitches out the ass? I jumped into a cactus off a horse once and couldn't move. Then I couldn't do anything but restart a few other times because the option screen wouldn't come up. weird

powerslave_85
06-06-2010, 06:49 PM
I've experienced a few. Once I couldn't move after setting some bait. I ended up setting up a campsite and that fixed it.

mastodon421
06-07-2010, 06:19 AM
I just got it yesterday. It is awesome. The only thing that sucks is how bad I am at riding horses.

jhdeity
06-07-2010, 09:44 AM
I've experienced a few. Once I couldn't move after setting some bait. I ended up setting up a campsite and that fixed it.

Cool, I'll have to try that. Last time I lasso'd a robber from higher ground we were both in suspended animation 10 feet off the ground. Tried everything but had to just turn the game off and back on.

Got to give it to them for the incredible graphics.

powerslave_85
06-07-2010, 10:28 AM
Found out by accident that there are a finite number of buffalo in Great Plains. You get an achievement if you wipe out the entire herd.

DethMaiden
06-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Found out by accident that there are a finite number of buffalo in Great Plains. You get an achievement if you wipe out the entire herd.

:lol: That is awesome. Damn near social commentary, that, considering that Indian's comments on the buffalo when you ride by them earlier in the game.

jhdeity
06-09-2010, 04:10 PM
DUELING PISSES ME OFF

If you have the "Goldeneye Curse" it's flawed. Meaning people who play "inverted" have a much harded time Dueling. Even with teh curse I've only lost 1 duel but lost it 3 times. That idiot in Blackwater kills me every time for some stupid reason.

Cool game, ending wasn't all that. I prefer shooting a helicopter with a rocket launcher personally. Close to 700 Achievement points in only 5 days so it's the perfect rental.

Highlight: The graphics and very easy to beat

Low-light: Stupid plants being so meaningful

Not a Spolier but don't ever sell your plants.... Trust me. Just keep hoarding them.

powerslave_85
06-09-2010, 04:24 PM
POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

So, the final two levels of the Master Hunter challenge are awesome. You have to hunt down four "legendary" animals: Khan the jaguar, Lobo the wolf, Gordo the boar, and Brumas the bear. I cheated and looked up their locations online, but it was still fun. That fucking jaguar is FAST. And the first time I went to kill Brumas, I was attacked by him, another bear, and a pack of wolves ALL AT THE SAME TIME :mad: Took me three tries to finally get him.

DethMaiden
06-09-2010, 05:49 PM
POSSIBLE SPOILERS AHEAD

So, the final two levels of the Master Hunter challenge are awesome. You have to hunt down four "legendary" animals: Khan the jaguar, Lobo the wolf, Gordo the boar, and Brumas the bear. I cheated and looked up their locations online, but it was still fun. That fucking jaguar is FAST. And the first time I went to kill Brumas, I was attacked by him, another bear, and a pack of wolves ALL AT THE SAME TIME :mad: Took me three tries to finally get him.

Hot damn, this is gonna be fun.

SPOILER ALERT

I'd be playing more often if I was still John. I hate Jack. :(

jhdeity
06-09-2010, 08:28 PM
Another cool thing for people to look forward to...

Even thought I hate the plants it was a pleasure meeting Annabelle. The hottest chick in any video game by a mile!

NecroRob
06-09-2010, 08:54 PM
Hot damn, this is gonna be fun.

SPOILER ALERT

I'd be playing more often if I was still John. I hate Jack. :(

I KNOW! Jack sucks ass compared to John :mad:

b_halperin
06-13-2010, 04:50 PM
Got this game a few days ago, holy shit it is so fun.

Possible spoilers:

I just found Escuella and now I'm doing the missions for the Abraham Reyes guy and I'm really excited for the ending, because you guys said its amazing. Also:

I found a way to make a shit ton of money in the game: :D I got really good at the Five Finger Filet game, and I just play against the same person over and over for $100 each time, and in no time, I had plenty of cash. Right now I have about $5,500. I bought all the best weapons and best horse, and now I'm just trying to finish the missions!

jhdeity
06-14-2010, 12:49 PM
Got this game a few days ago, holy shit it is so fun.

Possible spoilers:

I just found Escuella and now I'm doing the missions for the Abraham Reyes guy and I'm really excited for the ending, because you guys said its amazing. Also:

I found a way to make a shit ton of money in the game: :D I got really good at the Five Finger Filet game, and I just play against the same person over and over for $100 each time, and in no time, I had plenty of cash. Right now I have about $5,500. I bought all the best weapons and best horse, and now I'm just trying to finish the missions!

Yeah I never lost a game of Liars dice. Who knew? hahaha

You have plenty of cash to buy everything. I would have enjoyed more things to buy actually. If you find all the treasures you basically have enough money to get everything also.

My biggest challenge was getting my fame up to match my honor. Don't ignore the Blue dot strangers. They are essential to getting the fame achievement.

powerslave_85
06-14-2010, 12:58 PM
Currently working my way through the Stranger challenges. I'm about halfway through. I'm optimistic about eventually getting to 100%, but I think the sharpshooter challenges and having to eliminate everyone else in a game of poker are going to be difficult to overcome. I think it's shitty to make dominating a game of chance a prerequisite to getting 100%, but that's just me.

DethMaiden
06-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Currently working my way through the Stranger challenges. I'm about halfway through. I'm optimistic about eventually getting to 100%, but I think the sharpshooter challenges and having to eliminate everyone else in a game of poker are going to be difficult to overcome. I think it's shitty to make dominating a game of chance a prerequisite to getting 100%, but that's just me.

Poker's easy as shit in this game though. Just slowly increase your bet, regardless of your hand, and then about the third time around the table go all in and everyone will fold.

mastodon421
06-14-2010, 01:51 PM
Poker's easy as shit in this game though. Just slowly increase your bet, regardless of your hand, and then about the third time around the table go all in and everyone will fold.

Yes it is indeed easy as shit. I have won a shitload of money mostly by bluffing.

b_halperin
06-14-2010, 10:05 PM
Just finished the game. Accidentally read a spoiler about the ending, so it wasn't as surprising as it may have been. I just realized that this is the first game I've ever played all the way through (at least all the missions) it was just awesome haha.

Possible Spoilers: I don't like playing as Jack, and with no missions, the game for me has gone a bit dull. I would love to complete the game 100%, but I doubt there is any way I could have the patience for that.

powerslave_85
06-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Finished the Stranger quests. Man, that was a pain in the ass. It started getting annoying to do all these odd jobs for people only to end up being tricked, or for nothing to really happen. Some of them are pretty funny, though. Oh, and it turns out there's one, "I Know You," that can only be done BEFORE you complete all the main story missions. Luckily, it's not required for 100%. If that had been the case, I would have been fucking pissed.

powerslave_85
06-14-2010, 11:14 PM
Even thought I hate the plants it was a pleasure meeting Annabelle. The hottest chick in any video game by a mile!:lol: I didn't know what/who you were talking about until now.

DethMaiden
06-15-2010, 08:00 AM
Finished the Stranger quests. Man, that was a pain in the ass. It started getting annoying to do all these odd jobs for people only to end up being tricked, or for nothing to really happen. Some of them are pretty funny, though. Oh, and it turns out there's one, "I Know You," that can only be done BEFORE you complete all the main story missions. Luckily, it's not required for 100%. If that had been the case, I would have been fucking pissed.

Yeah, I read about that one. YouTubed it, it's pretty fucking cool, even though it brings in the supernatural and that's not really what this game's about.

powerslave_85
06-15-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm up to 86.4%. I WILL get 100%, even if it takes me another 30 hours.

DethMaiden
06-15-2010, 05:33 PM
Yeah, I really wanna get 100 too. The non-linear mission stuff is way harder than actually beating the game. I can't fucking find five wolves, let alone kill them with my knife.

powerslave_85
06-15-2010, 05:39 PM
Yeah, I really wanna get 100 too. The non-linear mission stuff is way harder than actually beating the game. I can't fucking find five wolves, let alone kill them with my knife.
For wolves, try your ranch at Beecher's Hope, Aurora Basin, or the area just northeast of the Wreck of the Serendipity. Watch out for cougars in that area, though.

Stuff I still need to do:
-Get credit for winning the minigames (poker, etc.)
-A few random things for various outfits
-Sharpshooter challenge
-Survivalist challenge
-Bounties

I can already see the flower picking shit taking a whole day :hecho:

Derelict
10-28-2010, 05:49 PM
anyone downloaded the zombie xpac for this? saw a commercial for it tonight, looked fucking awesome

DethMaiden
10-28-2010, 05:49 PM
If anyone does, let me know how it is so I can decide if I'm gonna download it when I go home for Thanksgiving.

powerslave_85
10-28-2010, 06:57 PM
I'm downloading it tomorrow.

Brad, it's 6+ hours of single player for $10. Why WOULDN'T you buy this?

DethMaiden
10-28-2010, 07:00 PM
Fair enough. Still wouldn't mind a report. :cool:

mastodon421
10-29-2010, 06:48 AM
I don't have it yet, but I played it at my buddy's house yesterday and it's fucking awesome and completely worth the money.

Derelict
10-29-2010, 07:10 AM
I don't have it yet, but I played it at my buddy's house yesterday and it's fucking awesome and completely worth the money.

i see it occupying a large part of my weekend

Fires Of Sedition
10-29-2010, 12:25 PM
Is the Zombie DLC part of the main story? My hard drive broke so I don't have any of my saved files for any games. I don't want to have to play the whole game over again just to kill some zombies.

powerslave_85
10-29-2010, 01:56 PM
It doesn't affect any saved games.

powerslave_85
10-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Dude, this RULES. I think it's actually a little tougher than the regular game, because you can't buy ammo or supplies anywhere; you have to scavenge it from bodies or get it as a reward for clearing towns or graveyards. You have to be a lot more careful with your ammo. I've avoided hunting/killing animals and helping random citizens so far just because I can't spare the ammo yet. The plot/cutscenes are pretty damn funny, and lots of the original characters make appearances.

powerslave_85
11-01-2010, 09:58 PM
TRIPLE POST. I already got 100%, haha.

Derelict
12-08-2010, 06:50 AM
Ok, so the zombie game is fucking awesome