Shame On The Night
Push
Stand Up And Shout
Don't Talk To Strangers
Lord of The Last Day
Night People
Sacred Heart
Sunset Superman
Lonely Is The Word/Letters From Earth (new version)
Kill The King
Straight From The Heart (Live)

Out at the beginning of July in Europe and the end of July in North America on Frontiers. REALLY looking forward to this. If he announces he's going to do a Dio tribute set at Sweden Rock then sorry, Danzig, but I'm there.

The Green and Black
05-21-2010, 07:49 AM
Oh wow! Nice! I can't wait for this! :party:

ravenheart
05-21-2010, 08:01 AM
I love the tracklist. He's tried to pick lesser-known songs. All it needs it 'I' and 'Fever Dreams', but you can't have everything.

The Green and Black
05-21-2010, 08:39 AM
I love that he included Night People!

Sanitarium78
05-21-2010, 09:55 AM
It doesn't have Dio's best song "All The Fools Sailed Away". Other than that it's cool that someone is coming out with a tribute album so quickly.

I have to confess though I have no clue who this 'Jorn' is and had to look him up and I still have no clue who he is:D Will his singing style do the Dio songs justice at all?

ravenheart
05-21-2010, 10:21 AM
I have to confess though I have no clue who this 'Jorn' is and had to look him up and I still have no clue who he is

Lol what?

No seriously, what?

Fix this.

Div
05-21-2010, 10:41 AM
that album cover is weird as hell. what the fuck.

ravenheart
05-21-2010, 10:51 AM
His album covers always have crows on. I suspect the original artwork was intended for his next proper album and the dragon in the background has been added for this one.

The Green and Black
05-21-2010, 10:56 AM
His album covers always have crows on. I suspect the original artwork was intended for his next proper album and the dragon in the background has been added for this one.

Is that a dragon? I thought it was supposed to be a suped up version of Murray?

Edit: for those who don't know Murray by name, he's the sorta mascot, on some of the album covers, like Holy Diver!

The Green and Black
05-21-2010, 11:00 AM
It doesn't have Dio's best song "All The Fools Sailed Away". Other than that it's cool that someone is coming out with a tribute album so quickly.

I have to confess though I have no clue who this 'Jorn' is and had to look him up and I still have no clue who he is:D Will his singing style do the Dio songs justice at all?

Seriously? Where have you been? :tongue:
Here is the video for the new song - Song for Ronnie James
(That was fast!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEtyaC6ltQg

Sanitarium78
05-21-2010, 11:26 AM
Seriously? Where have you been? :tongue:
Here is the video for the new song - Song for Ronnie James
(That was fast!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEtyaC6ltQg

Of the bands he's associated with the only name I recognized is Avantasia. Sorry I'm not aware of who is his or anything he's done. I didn't realize that was a metal sin. There's too many bands out there and I don't care enough anymore to know who they all are and what they all sound like. But since I respect both yours and ravenhearts musical opinions and we all have similar tastes, what do you recomend I listen to first from Jorn?

This song is cool though. It's very impressive how he put this together so quickly.

Maiden33
05-21-2010, 11:30 AM
Incredible. Jorn is the only person in the world who can get away with this - because in my opinion he is the Dio of the modern era. I am so excited for this.

ravenheart
05-21-2010, 11:45 AM
Incredible. Jorn is the only person in the world who can get away with this - because in my opinion he is the Dio of the modern era. I am so excited for this.

Nils Patrick Johansson too, surely? :p

Maiden33
05-21-2010, 11:48 AM
Nils Patrick Johansson too, surely? :p

NPJ certainly deserves a mention, and I think he's made more of a career out of exclusively cloning Dio's vocal-isms - but I think Jorn is the closest I've ever seen another singer come to matching his general charisma and pure vocal capacity. Jorn's voice is sort of a Dio-meets-Coverdale, but in recent years I've definitely thought he's been shifting towards more of a Dio-derived sound. Yeah, not to mention Jorn does like the best covers I've ever heard - especially of Dio material.

ravenheart
05-21-2010, 11:53 AM
Sorry I'm not aware of who is his or anything he's done. I didn't realize that was a metal sin

It absolutely is.

what do you recomend I listen to first from Jorn?

Jorn - Worldchanger
Masterplan - Aeronautics
Beyond Twilight - The Devil's Hall of Fame
Allen/Lande - The Battle (The Allen being Russell Allen from Symphony X)

Or for a bit of an overview of sorts: Jorn - The Gathering

Maiden33
05-21-2010, 12:09 PM
It absolutely is.

Jorn - Worldchanger
Masterplan - Aeronautics
Beyond Twilight - The Devil's Hall of Fame
Allen/Lande - The Battle (The Allen being Russell Allen from Symphony X)

Or for a bit of an overview of sorts: Jorn - The Gathering

Yeah - I'd say this, more or less. Just swap out Beyond Twilight for Ark - Burn the Sun. The first (self-titled) Masterplan album is killer too, possibly my favorite.

Indestructible
05-24-2010, 06:44 AM
Lol what?

No seriously, what?

Fix this.

Can you blame people for not knowing jorn. You cant know all metal bands.
I thought I new some obscure metal bands but then I jonied this site.

Sanitarium78
05-24-2010, 07:13 AM
An intresting point was brought up about this over on the Black Sabbath message board. A few people feel that it's in bad taste to release a tribute song so soon and before Ronnie is even buried. They think this is nothing more than an artist trying to make a cash grap with a tribute album and trying to get noticed off of Ronnie's name. I don't really see it that way but it does bring up a valid arguement I think. Of course we have to wait and see where the profits from the tribute album sales are going. If it's going to one of charities that Ronnie and Wendy supported than fine. But if it goes to the artist instead than it is nothing more than a cash grap and a attempt to profit off of Ronnie.

ravenheart
05-24-2010, 07:53 AM
Can you blame people for not knowing jorn. You cant know all metal bands.
I thought I new some obscure metal bands but then I jonied this site.

Jorn is neither obscure nor new, so yes, we can.

Sanitarium78
05-24-2010, 08:14 AM
Jorn is neither obscure nor new, so yes, we can.

Well you live in Europe so while he might be a big deal there he's hardly a blip on the radar in North America. It's not a big deal to me though on who knows what band and how long they've been around for. People are always discovering artists at different points in their careers. That's one of the big reasons so many bands keep playing for decades, they keep gaining new fans along the way.

makethemsuffer12
05-24-2010, 08:17 AM
Well you live in Europe so while he might be a big deal there he's hardly a blip on the radar in North America. It's not a big deal to me though on who knows what band and how long they've been around for. People are always discovering artists at different points in their careers. That's one of the big reasons so many bands keep playing for decades, they keep gaining new fans along the way.

Quoted for truth.

Maiden33
05-24-2010, 10:37 AM
An intresting point was brought up about this over on the Black Sabbath message board. A few people feel that it's in bad taste to release a tribute song so soon and before Ronnie is even buried. They think this is nothing more than an artist trying to make a cash grap with a tribute album and trying to get noticed off of Ronnie's name. I don't really see it that way but it does bring up a valid arguement I think. Of course we have to wait and see where the profits from the tribute album sales are going. If it's going to one of charities that Ronnie and Wendy supported than fine. But if it goes to the artist instead than it is nothing more than a cash grap and a attempt to profit off of Ronnie.

This is where you not being familiar with Jorn comes into play. Dio is his biggest vocal influence, and that's been downright obvious to any fan of his work over the years. Also, he's no stranger to covers and cover albums whatsoever at this point - 3 or 4 of these tracks he had already covered before. Also, Jorn has been doing nothing but moving up the radar over the past couple of years, he's getting to the point where he doesn't need a desperate cash-grab to have people care about him. He's one of the most revered vocalists in "underground" modern metal at this point.

Also - I am 100% positive all of these covers are going to be amazing, because Jorn is incredible at doing covers.

The Green and Black
05-24-2010, 11:08 AM
I don't look at what Jorn did/is doing as a cash in. I think it's cool he was able to throw it together so quickly. He is one of the few who I think can honestly get away with it, especially since he has always been so heavily influenced by Dio.

JuuKun
05-24-2010, 12:43 PM
By the way, from what I understand, this is NOT a rushed, thrown together cash-grab, and has actually been in the works for months. It just happens that the announcement came after Dio's passing (perhaps the release date and announcement was bumped up by the label, classless an idea as that was). I guess the contract for this was signed at the same time as Spirit Black.

Maiden33 is right, Jorn is amazing at doing covers. Can't wait to hear this.

ravenheart
05-24-2010, 01:08 PM
NPJ certainly deserves a mention, and I think he's made more of a career out of exclusively cloning Dio's vocal-isms - but I think Jorn is the closest I've ever seen another singer come to matching his general charisma and pure vocal capacity. Jorn's voice is sort of a Dio-meets-Coverdale, but in recent years I've definitely thought he's been shifting towards more of a Dio-derived sound. Yeah, not to mention Jorn does like the best covers I've ever heard - especially of Dio material.

Gianni Pontillo, maybe?

The Green and Black
05-24-2010, 01:13 PM
By the way, from what I understand, this is NOT a rushed, thrown together cash-grab, and has actually been in the works for months. It just happens that the announcement came after Dio's passing (perhaps the release date and announcement was bumped up by the label, classless an idea as that was). I guess the contract for this was signed at the same time as Spirit Black.

If this is true, then when was Song for Ronnie James written? It actually disturbs me more if Jorn wrote this while Dio was still alive and was just waiting for Dio to pass before releasing it.

ravenheart
05-24-2010, 01:24 PM
If this is true, then when was Song for Ronnie James written? It actually disturbs me more if Jorn wrote this while Dio was still alive and was just waiting for Dio to pass before releasing it.

I doubt he was. This thought crossed my mind too. Maybe it was intended as more of a "get well, we're all with you" tribute song. Which would be why the lyrics don't mention him dying or missing him etc.

It wouldn't surprise me if some of the cover songs on the album were recorded long ago and just unreleased.

Sanitarium78
05-24-2010, 01:56 PM
This is where you not being familiar with Jorn comes into play. Dio is his biggest vocal influence, and that's been downright obvious to any fan of his work over the years. Also, he's no stranger to covers and cover albums whatsoever at this point - 3 or 4 of these tracks he had already covered before. Also, Jorn has been doing nothing but moving up the radar over the past couple of years, he's getting to the point where he doesn't need a desperate cash-grab to have people care about him. He's one of the most revered vocalists in "underground" modern metal at this point.

Also - I am 100% positive all of these covers are going to be amazing, because Jorn is incredible at doing covers.

You make some good points here. I don't doubt the man's intentions aren't genuine at all. It's just for people who aren't familiar with his work it can come off that way and I understand why certian people might feel like that. But since Dio was such a huge influence on him as everyone is saying than I understand why he's doing it. Still, if he had waited until after Ronnie's funeral it might not have been recieved with criticism at all.

Since Dio is such a big influence on him it does have me intrested in checking out Jorn's material. So, he might gain some new fans out of this which may not be a bad thing for him if he's as good as you guys are saying.

Maiden33
05-24-2010, 01:58 PM
You make some good points here. I don't doubt the man's intentions aren't genuine at all. It's just for people who aren't familiar with his work it can come off that way and I understand why certian people might feel like that. But since Dio was such a huge influence on him as everyone is saying than I understand why he's doing it. Still, if he had waited until after Ronnie's funeral it might not have been recieved with criticism at all.

Since Dio is such a big influence on him it does have me intrested in checking out Jorn's material. So, he might gain some new fans out of this which may not be a bad thing for him if he's as good as you guys are saying.

All you need to know how good Jorn is is to listen to the Avantasia song "The Scarecrow". Half the vocals are Tobias Sammet (Edguy), but the other half are Jorn and perfectly display why he is incredible. Also, I feel his Dio-isms are probably at an all-time high there.

Sanitarium78
05-24-2010, 05:52 PM
I just got Spirit Black from Jorn on a torrent site. It was the first thing that popped up so I just decided to go with that. I'm on the thrid song now and i'm liking this a lot so far:rocker:

Indestructible
05-24-2010, 06:29 PM
I looked jorn up on youtube he has great vocals.

Maiden33
05-24-2010, 06:31 PM
I just got Spirit Black from Jorn on a torrent site. It was the first thing that popped up so I just decided to go with that. I'm on the thrid song now and i'm liking this a lot so far:rocker:

Wow, imagine how you're gonna feel when you hear a good album of his. :D

Indestructible
05-24-2010, 07:01 PM
Im not sure if i know the orginal but his cover of perfect strangers is good.

JuuKun
05-24-2010, 08:14 PM
Dear Indestructible, Sanitarium, and anyone else who needs to familiarize themselves with Jorn:

Ark - Burn the Sun. Get it.

Maiden33
05-24-2010, 09:59 PM
Dear Indestructible, Sanitarium, and anyone else who needs to familiarize themselves with Jorn:

Ark - Burn the Sun. Get it.

As incredible as Burn the Sun is - it's not for everyone. If you're not a prog nut, you're probably not gonna like it. Hell, I love Jorn and prog metal and it still took me a while to fully embrace it.

I think the first two Masterplan records, his Avantasia performances, and his solo album "The Duke" are the best gateways for the casual fan.

ravenheart
05-25-2010, 03:29 AM
The new Masterplan is awesome!

JuuKun
05-25-2010, 08:13 AM
As incredible as Burn the Sun is - it's not for everyone. If you're not a prog nut, you're probably not gonna like it. Hell, I love Jorn and prog metal and it still took me a while to fully embrace it.

I think the first two Masterplan records, his Avantasia performances, and his solo album "The Duke" are the best gateways for the casual fan.

Hm. I guess you've got a point, there. I didn't think of it that way.

In that case, then, yeah, pay attention to Maiden33.

The Green and Black
05-25-2010, 08:34 AM
Wow, imagine how you're gonna feel when you hear a good album of his. :D

I don't think Spirit Black is a bad album. In fact I just bought that one for my dad for his birthday this month. Although Cornerstone (the one you recommended for him, was his favorite out of the 5 discs I gave him :lol:) Speaking of Cornerstone, Impulse still has not sent me mine. I am gonna have to call them. :mad:

Im not sure if i know the orginal but his cover of perfect strangers is good.

Not sure if you are kidding or not, but Deep Purple did the original.

ravenheart
05-25-2010, 10:38 AM
his solo album "The Duke" are the best gateways for the casual fan.

I would recommend a good solo album instead...

But really properly casual fans should be starting with 'The Gathering'.

Maiden33
05-25-2010, 10:39 AM
I would recommend a good solo album instead...

The Duke isn't my favorite, that's Worldchanger, but The Duke is the best compromise of casual appeal and quality. I think it's easily one of his best. Aside from the title track I really, really like every song on there.