PDA

View Full Version : Spin magazine insults Dio

Fires Of Sedition
05-20-2010, 11:46 AM
http://www.metalinjection.net/latest-news/spin-magazine-disses-dio#more-8693

:mad:

mankvill
05-20-2010, 11:52 AM
Spin magazine does a good job insulting themselves, though.

Derelict
05-20-2010, 11:53 AM
If you just read what Spin wrote, and not the commentary, it really didn't sound insulting.

Also, Spin magazine still exists?

evildeadjedi
05-20-2010, 11:54 AM
I could care less it's their opinion.

SomewhereInTime72
05-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Meh. This is what happens when someone who doesn't actually know about this stuff tries to write about it for people who don't actually know about it. :hmm:

ChildrenofSodom
05-20-2010, 11:57 AM
Boo fucking hoo. Who cares what these schmucks say?

Fires Of Sedition
05-20-2010, 12:00 PM
I just think it's uncalled for an fucked up to say shit like that about a legend who JUST passed away, especially when they don't even KNOW metal.

EvilCheeseWedge
05-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Wow, are you guys thin-skinned or what?

I mean, they don't call him a "metal great" in the title, or go on to gush praise on a good chunk of Dio's work or anything. What did the writer say that's so wrong? Have you guys ever read interviews with Dio? Have you heard "Rock 'n' Roll Children?" Does that song not exactly describe the type of people the writer is talking about? You ever hear Dio talk about how tours, specifically his Sacred Heart tour, were meant to be big and flashy because Dio wanted to give people a place to escape the troubles of their lives, even if only for one night? Or, oh no, they spelled his given name, the one he never used professionally, and that the majority fans probably are unaware of incorrectly.

Even ignoring all that, this article clearly has plenty of nice things about Dio, and pays plenty of respect. Any other day, most of the discussions about Dio would be saying Holy Diver was the last really great album Dio released. I disagree, others do too, but c'mon, Dio was in his 40's by then anyway and had fronted two legendary bands.

If the worst offense a writer can do while praising Dio is to accurately describe something about Dio's fans Dio himself speaks about, and thinks that Dio's 10th TENTH major studio album is his peak, then boo fucking indeed.

Also, it's pretty clear the writer knows who Dio is.

TonyD
05-20-2010, 12:11 PM
Hip ass magazine.

ravenheart
05-20-2010, 12:13 PM
I don't think it's clear he knew who he was at all. It was all wikipedia information and derivations from the lyrics to the songs.

Awful article, but not massively offensive. Perhaps a little insensitive so soon, but the standard of writing and non-knowledge irritates me more.

The Green and Black
05-20-2010, 12:20 PM
:lame:

Not only is it insulting, but poorly written as well. :mad:

elturtleboy
05-20-2010, 12:22 PM
what a dick:finger2:

mankvill
05-20-2010, 12:24 PM
YESTERDAY MARKS 30TH ANNIVERSARY OF IAN CURTIS' DEATH

by Jackson May

Ian Curtis was some faggot who wrote really fucking emo music that inspired a whole generation of girls to not care about whimpy kids crying into their diaries and fuck jocks. Thanks Ian, you piece of shit. Joy Division sucks.

Submitted to Spin Magazine

Sanitarium78
05-20-2010, 12:26 PM
I'll agree with evilcheese on this one. I'm just as big of a Dio fan as anyone could be but I don't find it offensive at all. This isn't disrespectful and do we even know what this writers style is like? Maybe he writes like this for everything. Dio's lyrics are about fantasy and it did speak to a lot of people like myself who never were popular or really fit in at all anywhere. It gave us a world to go to and someone to speak to us and make us believe we could do anything and overcome all obsticles.

Just because it wasn't the usuall 100% love fest every other tribute to him has been doesn't mean it was disrespectful at all. This is nowhere even on the level of what that one duchebag writter said about Dimebag and his fans after he was killed. So let's not worry about what this writer said since he's probably not that important anyways.

Also Spin is still in print and people still subscribe to it? What year are we in, 1992?

EvilCheeseWedge
05-20-2010, 12:31 PM
I don't think it's clear he knew who he was at all. It was all wikipedia information and derivations from the lyrics to the songs.

Awful article, but not massively offensive. Perhaps a little insensitive so soon, but the standard of writing and non-knowledge irritates me more.

How do you figure? Just read what he wrote about Black Sabbath. If that sounds straight from Wikipedia, including what would have to be a made up little story about Facebook... or the list of adjectives used to describe his voice then Wikipedia has clearly started featuring more content about Dio then the last time I checked.

Maybe he wasn't Dio's biggest fan, but the way you guys are talking it sounds like he just ripped off Wikipedia while taking a dump on Dio's grave. It might not be the article YOU GUYS want it to be, it might (well, certainly) isn't the best written about Dio, but I don't think it's the insulting misinformed diatribe it's being made out to be.

ravenheart
05-20-2010, 12:36 PM
How do you figure? Just read what he wrote about Black Sabbath.

Google is the friend of the uninformed. I've read that exact statement many, many times before.

including what would have to be a made up little story about Facebook

Probably is.

... or the list of adjectives used to describe his voice

What? "growling"? "siren-like"? "built for battle, not blues and ballads"? Please.

EvilCheeseWedge
05-20-2010, 01:05 PM
Google is the friend of the uninformed. I've read that exact statement many, many times before.

Probably is.

What? "growling"? "siren-like"? "built for battle, not blues and ballads"? Please.

So what? Most of the Dio tributes are just the AP article with little to nothing added. And what is with this anyways? I already said in the Dio R.I.P. thread I won't tolerate people talking shit for the sake of it, but I didn't realize metal fans had such thin hides. I mean if you really want to tear into the adjectives, then, by all means, but seriously, this article is hardly insulting.

ravenheart
05-20-2010, 03:02 PM
but seriously, this article is hardly insulting.

I already said that...

DethMaiden
05-20-2010, 04:42 PM
And we care what Spin Magazine says about Dio why? I didn't find it insulting, either. Metal Injection was getting really fucking defensive...their reaction contained about 10x the words of the so-called attack.

Wizzbang11
05-20-2010, 04:57 PM
Why do any of you care what anyone says about Dio, let alone people who don't even like metal?

JRA
05-20-2010, 04:59 PM
I read it, and that was the most flattering "insult" I've ever read. I was more offended by the writer's notion that Dio outdid Ozzy as a Sabbath singer, and that opinion could have shown up everywhere. Fuck, every retard Dio fan is writing that in their tributes right now as we speak.

Personally, I thought Nick's assessment that "Dio is more unintentionally hilarious than he is fun to listen to" was way more insulting than anything in that article.

Take a chill pill, bros. :tp:

YESTERDAY MARKS 30TH ANNIVERSARY OF IAN CURTIS' DEATH

by Jackson May

Ian Curtis was some faggot who wrote really fucking emo music that inspired a whole generation of girls to not care about whimpy kids crying into their diaries and fuck jocks. Thanks Ian, you piece of shit. Joy Division sucks.

Submitted to Spin Magazine

lulz

EvilCheeseWedge
05-20-2010, 05:24 PM
Yeah, honestly the article is what it is, but man some of... well, most of the comments on that article just make Dio fans look pathetic. It's pretty ironic that a lot of fans praising Dio for being classy can't even be slightly classy themselves.

JRA
05-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Yeah, honestly the article is what it is, but man some of... well, most of the comments on that article just make Dio fans look pathetic. It's pretty ironic that a lot of fans praising Dio for being classy can't even be slightly classy themselves.

Which is exactly the reason why I hate most of the asinine piles of scum.

Travis The Dragon
05-20-2010, 05:58 PM
I completely agree with everything EvilCheese has said.

ravenheart
05-21-2010, 01:34 AM
I agree that it's not a particularly offensive article, like I did two pages ago.

I don't agree that there's any evidence in there that the writer knows anything about Dio, that he's at all a fan, or that it's in any way well written.

These things are far more irritating than the content of the article itself.

rjturtle9
05-21-2010, 01:52 PM
Idk, I found it to be half honest and half insulting at the same time. But who cares, it's SPIN. Does anyone here actually read that?