PDA

View Full Version : New RUSH songs coming June 1!

Travis The Dragon
05-19-2010, 05:03 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140361

OMG! YES!!!!! RUSHgasm!!!!! :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

maidenpriest
05-20-2010, 02:44 AM
cant wait!! :D im hoping this album is better than Snakes and Arrows, i was not the biggest fan of that album. liked the songs on Vapor Trails better. Ghost Rider ftw!

Citatet
05-20-2010, 03:42 AM
Yeah! Bring it on!

And then bring the tour to Europe in the fall please We are longing for some Rush over here!

Fe Maiden
05-20-2010, 07:19 AM
Hoping for some good stuff!

Travis The Dragon
05-25-2010, 05:30 PM
http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?month=6&day=1&year=2010&hour=12pm&min=0&sec=0&p0=219
Just a little over 6 days!

PlaysWithKnives
05-28-2010, 06:51 PM
Rush will not dissapoint

JLRedWing13
05-28-2010, 08:04 PM
I am very excited to hear what they come up with this time.

maidenpriest
05-28-2010, 09:33 PM
on a note on this tour...Rush is playing JACOBS LADDER!!!!!!

Source: http://newyork.timeout.com/articles/film/84998/alex-lifeson-interview

they also seem to be bringing back Closer to the Heart according to their video interview with CBC.

Travis The Dragon
05-29-2010, 12:26 PM
Just 2 more days until the new stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://www.timeanddate.com/counters/customcounter.html?month=6&day=1&year=2010&hour=12am&min=01&sec=00&p0=0

JLRedWing13
05-29-2010, 09:38 PM
I've been on a Rush binge ever since they announced their tour....

......even though they're not coming here this year..... :mad:

PlaysWithKnives
05-30-2010, 03:22 PM
I've been on a Rush binge ever since they announced their tour....

......even though they're not coming here this year..... :mad:
Weird that they aren't coming to detroit. Same as here in buffalo. They always come here. Kind of strange seeing that they sell well and that they are border cities.

Travis The Dragon
05-30-2010, 05:23 PM
Ah, nevermind...

TonyD
05-30-2010, 05:51 PM
Ah, nevermind...

I was kinda confused at this, but you can delete posts. Just sayin :cool:

Indestructible
05-30-2010, 07:09 PM
What exactly is confusing about playeswithknives comment

youngandaspiring
05-30-2010, 07:33 PM
Can any Rush fan explain to me why they haven't written a song over 6 minutes since Moving Pictures? Their best work was always their long stuff. I'd love for another 2112/Cygnus/Camera Eye style epic.

PlaysWithKnives
05-30-2010, 07:51 PM
Sorry. I shall clarify. Buffalo is next to canada. A lot of rush fans from canada come here for shows. Add that to people on this side that would go. Its basically a sell out everytime they have a show here. That's why I'm surprised they aren't coming.

TonyD
05-30-2010, 10:39 PM
:|

JLRedWing13
05-31-2010, 10:57 AM
Weird that they aren't coming to detroit. Same as here in buffalo. They always come here. Kind of strange seeing that they sell well and that they are border cities.

They said they'll be doing a more extensive tour next year for the new album, so I'm not too worried. I would have liked to hear Moving Pictures in full and all these B-sides they're going to play though.

Travis The Dragon
05-31-2010, 12:37 PM
We're closing in on it now! I wonder what time the song we'll actually be released at.

MPF
05-31-2010, 12:41 PM
From what I understand it goes on sale tonight online at Midnight.

Travis The Dragon
05-31-2010, 03:42 PM
From what I understand it goes on sale tonight online at Midnight.

Ya, but in what timezone?

MPF
05-31-2010, 03:48 PM
Ya, but in what timezone?

Eastern Standard Time

So 11pm for us in Wisconsin/Minnesota.

Sanitarium78
05-31-2010, 04:11 PM
Can any Rush fan explain to me why they haven't written a song over 6 minutes since Moving Pictures? Their best work was always their long stuff. I'd love for another 2112/Cygnus/Camera Eye style epic.

Probably because they don't want to anymore and grew tired of writting long songs all the time. Also it's better for selecting songs live. You don't wanna have the same thing happen with their sets as it does with Dream Theater for example. Writting long songs can be a pain in the ass to do live. It can also limit what you do live and causes you to play less songs because they take up so much time.

As for them not writting a song over six minutes since Moving Pictures it seems as if you don't know your Rush too well. Here's a list of songs that they've done that are over or close to the 6 minute range since that album:

Alien Shore 5:48
Marathon 6:10
Territories 6:21
Mystic Rhythms 5:48
Presto 5:46
Digital Man 6:22
The Weapon 6:24
Countdown 5:50
Armor & Sword 6:36
The Main Monkey Buisness 6:02
The Way The Wind Blows 6:28
Test For Echo 5:56
Virtuality 5:44
Secret Touch 6:35
Freeze 6:21

I'm probably missing a few but I think my point has been made. There, you've just been educated;)

youngandaspiring
05-31-2010, 04:39 PM
Probably because they don't want to anymore and grew tired of writting long songs all the time. Also it's better for selecting songs live. You don't wanna have the same thing happen with their sets as it does with Dream Theater for example. Writting long songs can be a pain in the ass to do live. It can also limit what you do live and causes you to play less songs because they take up so much time.

As for them not writting a song over six minutes since Moving Pictures it seems as if you don't know your Rush too well. Here's a list of songs that they've done that are over or close to the 6 minute range since that album:

Alien Shore 5:48
Digital Man 6:22
Countdown 5:50
The Main Monkey Buisness 6:02
Virtuality 5:44
Freeze 6:21

I'm probably missing a few but I think my point has been made. There, you've just been educated;)
Wow a song 28 seconds longer than 6 minutes. Let me rephrase - Rush haven't written a song over 7 minutes since Moving Pictures.

I would like for them to write long songs once again, since I enjoy their longer songs a lot more than any of their shorter ones, much in the same way I enjoy long Dream Theater songs.

Indestructible
05-31-2010, 04:45 PM

These rush songs are just as good as any long rush song.

MPF
05-31-2010, 04:49 PM
Short songs, long songs, who gives a fuck? IT's Rush! As long as it is good that's all that matters.

youngandaspiring
05-31-2010, 04:55 PM
These rush songs are just as good as any long rush song.
Marathon maybe. Armor and Sword is also great. But the very idea of musical progression is correlated (and somewhat caused) by song length, as 6 minutes is just often not long enough to develop musical themes. Obviously it's nice to have diversity in song length, but what's really stopping them from creating a long song once in a while? I don't buy the 'live songs' explanation - fans would literally go mental for a full scale rendition of 2112 or Cygnus. Then we look at their long songs:

Cygnus
Natural Science
La Villa Strangiato
Xanadu

These songs crush everything in their path. Those shorter songs aren't bad, but they just don't feel epic enough.

Indestructible
05-31-2010, 05:02 PM
Marathon maybe. Armor and Sword is also great. But the very idea of musical progression is correlated (and somewhat caused) by song length, as 6 minutes is just often not long enough to develop musical themes. Obviously it's nice to have diversity in song length, but what's really stopping them from creating a long song once in a while? I don't buy the 'live songs' explanation - fans would literally go mental for a full scale rendition of 2112 or Cygnus. Then we look at their long songs:

Cygnus
Natural Science
La Villa Strangiato
Xanadu

These songs crush everything in their path. Those shorter songs aren't bad, but they just don't feel epic enough.

I think all rush songs are epic weather its 2 minutes or 20 minutes.
Heres the thing about long songs it might be tireing for the band to write 10-20 minute songs and then go out to play them live. Some listeners cant handle long songs all the time.

youngandaspiring
05-31-2010, 05:12 PM
I think all rush songs are epic weather its 2 minutes or 20 minutes.
Heres the thing about long songs it might be tireing for the band to write 10-20 minute songs and then go out to play them live. Some listeners cant handle long songs all the time.
Again, I'm not saying all the time. But they haven't written one in nearly 30 years. 30 years.

30 years.

Yes it could be tiring to play it live. Maybe not all the fans will enjoy it. But for the sake of musical progression and creative ideas, is it really plausible that they never had inspiration to write anything 8-10 minutes long since 1981? I find that hard to believe, considering how they churned them out on an album to album basis before. It's nice that they've continually evolved their sound, but no top 10 list of Rush would be complete without listing at least a few of their longer works.

Prog bands are usually also defined by their epics as well. See 'A Change of Seasons'. 'Supper's Ready'. 'Crimson'. 'The Perfect Element'. '2112'. 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond'. Heck, even regular Metal bands write longer songs. Look at Iron Maiden - they have the time to blast out a 7 to 8 minute rendition of Hallowed and Fear of the Dark every show. If these bands can do it, why oh why can't Rush give it a spin?

Indestructible
05-31-2010, 05:16 PM
Again, I'm not saying all the time. But they haven't written one in nearly 30 years. 30 years.

30 years.

Yes it could be tiring to play it live. Maybe not all the fans will enjoy it. But for the sake of musical progression and creative ideas, is it really plausible that they never had inspiration to write anything 8-10 minutes long since 1981? I find that hard to believe, considering how they churned them out on an album to album basis before. It's nice that they've continually evolved their sound, but no top 10 list of Rush would be complete without listing at least a few of their longer works.

Prog bands are usually also defined by their epics as well. See 'A Change of Seasons'. 'Supper's Ready'. 'Crimson'. 'The Perfect Element'. '2112'. 'Shine on You Crazy Diamond'. Heck, even regular Metal bands write longer songs. Look at Iron Maiden - they have the time to blast out a 7 to 8 minute rendition of Hallowed and Fear of the Dark every show. If these bands can do it, why oh why can't Rush give it a spin?

Rush may have stopped writing long 10-20 minute songs but there creativity and musical progression never decreased.

JLRedWing13
05-31-2010, 05:19 PM
I'd rather them not write long songs for the sake of being long.

I've been a Rush fan as long as I've loved music and they've yet to disappoint me. Plus they tour far more extensively than most bands their age and continue to deliver.

Indestructible
05-31-2010, 05:23 PM
I'd rather them not write long songs for the sake of being long.

I've been a Rush fan as long as I've loved music and they've yet to disappoint me. Plus they tour far more extensively than most bands their age and continue to deliver.

Agreed with everything.
When bands write long songs just to be long then the song will just drag on forever but if rush were to do that it would still be great what rush fan gets tired of hearing them. Rush always delivers live ive seen them 3 times and they have yet to fail me and i doubt they will.

JLRedWing13
05-31-2010, 05:24 PM
"It happens that the two songs we recorded that day in Nashville are detached from the past, rooted in the present, and pointed toward the future. Because they are the first two parts of what we envision as an extended album-length story, they truly are a work in progress, and thus a glimpse of our own future."

An excerpt taken from Neil Peart's website regarding the new songs.

Travis The Dragon
05-31-2010, 05:26 PM
Here are 40 second samples!!!: http://us.7digital.com/artists/rush/caravan/ And it looks like you can buy them as well!

Indestructible
05-31-2010, 05:31 PM
I like alot of the longer rush songs better. My favorite rush song/song ever is Hemispheres.

JLRedWing13
05-31-2010, 05:31 PM
Here are 40 second samples!!!: http://us.7digital.com/artists/rush/caravan/ And it looks like you can buy them as well!

I know it's only samples.....but both of those previews gave me chills. I can't wait for tomorrow....

Travis The Dragon
05-31-2010, 05:47 PM
I know it's only samples.....but both of those previews gave me chills. I can't wait for tomorrow....
If you're in the USA, I think you can buy them NOW at the link I gave. Just click the green + buttons and checkout.

MPF
05-31-2010, 05:59 PM
Didn't buy them yet, but I love the samples so far. Caravan is a bit eerie and I'm getting a complete 80's Rush vibe on BU2B.

TonyD
05-31-2010, 06:50 PM
Neither sample sounds fantastic, but I'll still get it on itunes tonight.

DethMaiden
05-31-2010, 06:53 PM
Both sound pretty good to me. Reminds me of Counterparts. Geddy sounds different.

es156
05-31-2010, 07:14 PM
Amazon link (http://www.amazon.com/Caravan-digital-booklet/dp/B003MX4YTK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1275352546&sr=8-2-catcorr)

I'm excited.

Sanitarium78
05-31-2010, 07:58 PM
Wow a song 28 seconds longer than 6 minutes. Let me rephrase - Rush haven't written a song over 7 minutes since Moving Pictures.

Wow, instead of admitting you we're wrong about the song lengths, and your knowledge about them isn't as great as you thought, you decide to up it a minute more so you get your way and prove your point. The answer is no, they haven't written anything over seven 7 minutes in 30 years. Congradulations you got your way which seems to be what your goal was. Of course if Rush did write songs over seven mins, your next post would've asked "where are the 8 minute songs?" and it would go on and on until you proved your point

If for one don't know the exact answer. Their popularity probably has something to do with it. But they still write decent length songs. A lot of them are in the 5 to 6 min range and that's the way it's been for 30 years now. Like I said before, they probably just don't feel like writting and performing long songs anymore. They still write great stuff without writting the 15-20 minute epics. So what exactly is wrong with that? As long as the song quality remains, which it always has with Rush, it shouldn't matter how long it is because Rush never cheats their fans and rarely lets them down.

youngandaspiring
05-31-2010, 08:15 PM
Wow, instead of admitting you we're wrong about the song lengths, and your knowledge about them isn't as great as you thought, you decide to up it a minute more so you get your way and prove your point. The answer is no, they haven't written anything over seven 7 minutes in 30 years. Congradulations you got your way which seems to be what your goal was. Of course if Rush did write songs over seven mins, your next post would've asked "where are the 8 minute songs?" and it would go on and on until you proved your point

If for one don't know the exact answer. Their popularity probably has something to do with it. But they still write decent length songs. A lot of them are in the 5 to 6 min range and that's the way it's been for 30 years now. Like I said before, they probably just don't feel like writting and performing long songs anymore. They still write great stuff without writting the 15-20 minute epics. So what exactly is wrong with that? As long as the song quality remains, which it always has with Rush, it shouldn't matter how long it is because Rush never cheats their fans and rarely lets them down.
My point was that Rush haven't written a long song since 1981. At no point did I say their short songs sucked or that they aren't a good band. I was wrong with the 6 minute mark thing, but obviously the point I was trying to make was that they haven't written a progressive song considered long (at least 7 or 8 minutes for the record) since Moving Pictures.

But thank you for the answer. I was hoping for a link to a Peart interview when he explains this phenomenon, as it is very strange to me that a band that churned out 10 minute tracks like candy in the late 70s suddenly shied completely away from the idea.

MPF
05-31-2010, 08:40 PM
NOW ON iTUNES!

Travis The Dragon
05-31-2010, 08:42 PM
NOW ON iTUNES!

It seems to be only on the Canadian iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/carvan-bu2b-single/id373897585

MPF
05-31-2010, 08:44 PM
It seems to be only on the Canadian iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/ca/album/carvan-bu2b-single/id373897585

Damn You're right I got led on. Well if it gets released in, let's say 15 minutes our time, I'll be ok.

Travis The Dragon
05-31-2010, 09:55 PM
OMG!!! They're SUPER AMAZING!!!

Here are youtube links as well.

Caravan:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J9K0ipA9EI

BU2B:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=prLXJdqjQ14

DethMaiden
05-31-2010, 09:57 PM
So the record is going to be called "Clockwork Angels"? I can dig that.

MPF
05-31-2010, 10:00 PM
It may also be a double disc concept album.

Travis The Dragon
05-31-2010, 10:12 PM
It may also be a double disc concept album.

Actually, it looks like there will be 12 songs total: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=56109

MPF
05-31-2010, 10:30 PM
Actually, it looks like there will be 12 songs total: http://www.therushforum.com/index.php?showtopic=56109

Well, I was intrigued by Neil's comments of these two new songs being the initial parts of what he refers to as an "extended album-length story"

Extended to me being, past a standard album. But it every well could 12 songs. But it also could mean those 12 songs could have very long structures. Or maybe I just need some sleep because I've been wrong a lot tonight.

JLRedWing13
05-31-2010, 10:37 PM
I love what they have going on in both of these tracks. I am a very happy Rush fan right now. :D

TonyD
05-31-2010, 11:13 PM
So each of the symbols on the clock face in the Caravan artwork represent each song on the album... I guess?

Edit: just 2 minutes into the track and it's pretty obvious the sample clip didn't do any justice at all.

JLRedWing13
05-31-2010, 11:16 PM
That's the way I understood it.

maidenpriest
06-01-2010, 12:16 AM
Caravan sounds pretty good from what im hearing, some very Progressive sound styles imo. a lot better than Far Cry. havent heard the other one yet though

Fe Maiden
06-02-2010, 10:56 AM
Not bad! Not superb but not bad!

Sanitarium78
06-02-2010, 11:16 AM
I've given both songs a few listens now and i'm really starting to like them a lot. Caravan I think is a really good song and will make a good addition to the live set. This song also feels to me like it would be the album opener and I think it's a good way to start it.

BU2B is what you would come to expect for a first 'official' single off of a Rush album. With the good catchy chorus their singles have become so known for.

JLRedWing13
06-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Not bad! Not superb but not bad!

For me, it's better than anything they've done in the past decade, and I really enjoyed Snakes and Arrows......

Sanitarium78
06-02-2010, 05:34 PM
For me, it's better than anything they've done in the past decade, and I really enjoyed Snakes and Arrows......

I'll have to wait and see if they have a song on the new album that tops Armor & Sword before I say anything like that.