PDA

View Full Version : Isis is Finished

moobys37
05-18-2010, 09:07 PM
http://isistheband.blogspot.com/2010/05/isis-has-reached-end_18.html

I can't believe it.

mankvill
05-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Kinda sucks. Out of all the "post-metal" I've come across, which I generally don't like, Isis was the band I was most interested in getting into.

DethMaiden
05-18-2010, 09:11 PM
Well, the press they did for Wavering Radiant basically said this was going to happen. It's a shame but I'm glad I got to see them - from the front row, no less. RIP Isis, thanks for all the great music. :light:

idrinkwine732
05-18-2010, 09:14 PM
:boohoo:

I might have to go see them the night before my SATS then....

SomewhereInTime72
05-18-2010, 09:23 PM
Fuuuuuuuuuck.

MPF
05-18-2010, 09:24 PM
WHY ARE THE BEST BANDS BREAKING UP AND THE BEST MUSICANS DYING THESE YEAR?

FUCK!!!

bt11763
05-18-2010, 09:56 PM
I'm so pissed that I have to decide between them or Clutch now

idrinkwine732
05-18-2010, 09:56 PM
Think it's possible they reunite for a tour in the future?

MPF
05-18-2010, 10:01 PM
Think it's possible they reunite for a tour in the future?

If it is possible, guessing by their statement, there will be no new music. So it would be considered to fans as a revisiting, or a cash grab,

Either way It fucking sucks they are breaking up.

idrinkwine732
05-18-2010, 10:13 PM
If it is possible, guessing by their statement, there will be no new music. So it would be considered to fans as a revisiting, or a cash grab,

Either way It fucking sucks they are breaking up.

I want to see them live, but I can't this time around...

Reunite por favor

MPF
05-18-2010, 10:17 PM
I want to see them live, but I can't this time around...

Reunite por favor

I do too man. I had the chance to see them with Pelican and Tombs last year, but shit came up and had to miss it. Now I'll never get to see Isis live. :mad:

TonyD
05-18-2010, 10:43 PM
Well that sucks.

illninoese
05-18-2010, 11:33 PM
I just read this. I am truly heart broken. They put on a hell of a show both times I saw them.

Thanks to all the crooked fucks who download music and don't buy CD's anymore. You are probably the main cause of this.

MPF
05-18-2010, 11:37 PM
I just read this. I am truly heart broken. They put on a hell of a show both times I saw them.

Thanks to all the crooked fucks who download music and don't buy CD's anymore. You are probably the main cause of this.

Not that I disagree with you and don't believe it might have something to do with it but you did read the press statement right? They feel artistically, they have reached their peak.

TonyD
05-18-2010, 11:39 PM

Don't think so. Bands make most of their money on merch/touring, and they seem like the kind of band that doesn't act based on financial success.

powerslave_85
05-18-2010, 11:39 PM
Thanks to all the crooked fucks who download music and don't buy CD's anymore. You are probably the main cause of this.Yeah, except they gave no indication whatsoever that that was the case.

ChildrenofSodom
05-19-2010, 04:40 AM
This sucks.

But i don't think blaming every individual band break up on some greater trend in the music world is valid.

Natrlhi
05-19-2010, 08:11 AM
I read this last night, but I was too stunned to even post a response. I also needed to get off the computer and get the fuck to bed, but that's secondary.

This is a huge disappointment to me. I have been in love with this band since I discovered them in 2005, and I own almost everything they've ever released. They are single-handedly responsible for getting me into Post-Metal / Post-Rock (which are now among my favorite sub-genres)...even more so than Neurosis. I've seen Isis live twice (once was a supporting set for Tool that I only saw part of, because the folks I was with were too intereested in drinking at the bar to get there in time). They were awesome both times.

I really want to try to catch them on this short "tour" they're on right now, which will be their last (pending a reunion of sorts, which Wine predicted might happen...I think it's somewhat possible), but I really can't see how that's going to happen what with the travel that would inevitably be required and the fact that my wife is ready to deliver our second child within the next couple of weeks.

Fuck me. This sucks donkey dicks. :bouville:

On a somewhat redeeming note, I did read a blurb in the press release or whatever you call it, that there is talk of a final EP. Sounds like they may have some material that was in the works that may get finished up and released at some point, so at least we'll have that to look forward to.

There might also be another DVD release at some point as well, because I think the press release also makes reference to that, plus there was a blog entry towards the end of 2009 from Aaron for fans to send in any footage they may have of live gigs, for possible inclusion in some sort of upcoming video project they were tentatively working on. Maybe I should send them my bootleg of their set in Cleveland last June. I got the whole thing on tape. I've never had a chance to edit it, and the white balance and light levels are really low, but maybe they have some software that they can use to enhance the quality. I think the audio stream portion of it came out rather well, as I recall.

Anyway, they aren't completely disappearing forever, but it sure feels like it. :(

evildeadjedi
05-19-2010, 12:52 PM
This sucks for the fans, I could never get into them myself.

ravenheart
05-19-2010, 12:58 PM
I'm so pissed that I have to decide between them or Clutch now

How's that a decision? Isis are breaking up, Clutch aren't.

evildeadjedi
05-19-2010, 01:07 PM
How's that a decision? Isis are breaking up, Clutch aren't.

Exactly, Clutch is one my favorite bands of all time and awesome live, but Isis is band that may never tour again. However, if you have seen Isis multiple times and never seen Clutch then that might be a little different.

mastodon421
05-19-2010, 01:23 PM
This fucking blows. I really wanted to see them live.

larvtard
05-19-2010, 02:19 PM
they seem like the kind of band that doesn't act based on financial success.

All bands have to act on financial "success" in some way or another. I realize that metal bands don't really have any financial success and most don't count their band as their living, but if a band is spending more money than they have, or they are just plain broke, they can't keep going...

Life runs on money; if you don't have any you're screwed.

(I don't want to sound like an upper middle class Jew here, but let's be logical, you need money to survive).

mankvill
05-19-2010, 04:01 PM
I guess I'm alone in thinking this, but I thought Isis was way more popular and way more financially successful than your average run-of-the-mill metal band.

b_halperin
05-19-2010, 04:29 PM
Fuck!! I really wanted to see Isis live. now I have one last oppurtunity, and it happens to be a weekend which ill most likely have to be out of town for family reasons. :mad:

Really love Panoptic and Oceanic, and they were a great starting point in post metal.

TonyD
05-19-2010, 04:32 PM
All bands have to act on financial "success" in some way or another. I realize that metal bands don't really have any financial success and most don't count their band as their living, but if a band is spending more money than they have, or they are just plain broke, they can't keep going...

Life runs on money; if you don't have any you're screwed.

(I don't want to sound like an upper middle class Jew here, but let's be logical, you need money to survive).

I guess I'm alone in thinking this, but I thought Isis was way more popular and way more financially successful than your average run-of-the-mill metal band.

This. They're not huge but they can pay the bills. And they're not calling it quits because of not making enough.

powerslave_85
05-19-2010, 05:00 PM
On another note, I applaud bands who decide to hang it up in their prime. I mean, it sucks that they're breaking up at all, but I'd rather they do it now than after they've gone to shit (not that I'm implying Isis would have).

idrinkwine732
05-19-2010, 05:08 PM
They could pull a Bolt Thrower and just not release more studio work...

larvtard
05-19-2010, 06:04 PM
This. They're not huge but they can pay the bills. And they're not calling it quits because of not making enough.

yeah, I know, they just ran out of ideas. It wasn't money reasons.

Though, you said that "they don't seem like the band that would act based on financial success." I just wanted to make the point that every band has to act based on financial success. You need money to keep a band going, and if you don't have money, then that's a problem.

sorry if I sound like a dick... There wasn't really any point of me posting that anyway, I don't think it really contributed.

Natrlhi
05-19-2010, 08:52 PM
I guess I'm alone in thinking this, but I thought Isis was way more popular and way more financially successful than your average run-of-the-mill metal band.They are. That's why all the claims that this is money-related are full of shit.

Natrlhi
05-19-2010, 08:59 PM
On another note, I applaud bands who decide to hang it up in their prime. I mean, it sucks that they're breaking up at all, but I'd rather they do it now than after they've gone to shit (not that I'm implying Isis would have).Isis would never have gone to shit.

They could pull a Bolt Thrower and just not release more studio work...That's basically what they're doing. Most of the band members are still active in other projects, and all those will continue as before - so the Isis guys aren't going anywhere. Trust me...at some point they may revisit the idea of Isis in some form or another - either to release old un-released material, perhaps to tour, maybe even to write more new material one day. They're just saying it isn't in the plans right now.

Hey - maybe this means Old Man Gloom will do something again in the future - or maybe even Windmills by the Ocean...:snivel:

idrinkwine732
05-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Isis would never have gone to shit.

That's basically what they're doing. Most of the band members are still active in other projects, and all those will continue as before - so the Isis guys aren't going anywhere. Trust me...at some point they may revisit the idea of Isis in some form or another - either to release old un-released material, perhaps to tour, maybe even to write more new material one day. They're just saying it isn't in the plans right now.

Hey - maybe this means Old Man Gloom will do something again in the future - or maybe even Windmills by the Ocean...:snivel:

Bolt Thrower still tour as Bolt Thrower, they just aren't making new material. Isis aren't going to be playing together anymore...

Be on the lookout for a Boris/Red Sparowes tour in August. A show was just booked here. I really hope they reunite as Isis for a tour at some point, because I can't jeopardize my SAT II scores to go see them.

Natrlhi
05-19-2010, 09:40 PM
Bolt Thrower still tour as Bolt ThrowerWell...if you call what they do "touring". It's like a few dates a year...maybe. I see what you're saying, though.

they just aren't making new material...for now. ;)

Isis aren't going to be playing together anymore......as far as we know - but things change. If it's meant to be, it will happen.

Be on the lookout for a Boris/Red Sparowes tour in August. A show was just booked here.Sweet! You'd better hit that shit up!

TonyD
05-19-2010, 11:14 PM
Isis would never have gone to shit.

...because they're a band with enough integrity to hang em up before they start writing sub par music? :cool:

Be on the lookout for a Boris/Red Sparowes tour in August. A show was just booked here. I really hope they reunite as Isis for a tour at some point, because I can't jeopardize my SAT II scores to go see them.
Can't jeopardize your SAT II scores? Where do you plan on going?
I think I was better off staying off the internet til late in high school so I could enjoy just being into mainstream/classic metal bands without fussing over not being able to go see whatever hip band was in town. But seeing Mastodon at a 200 capacity venue would have been nice...

mankvill
05-19-2010, 11:55 PM
Be on the lookout for a Boris/Red Sparowes tour in August.

wjofasdfija[sodijfa[0dijasdf
sdfjs
9a
9fas9f
asf
9asd9asdfa
jsdf
jasd
fas
dfasjfa
jdf
asdjf
f
sd
asd
ijaidfjas
dasiasdf
as
fja
fsdj
apsdf
asd
fasd
fpas
fjas
dfjasfdpasjp89asepjas
fsa
dfj

Natrlhi
05-20-2010, 06:04 AM
wjofasdfija[sodijfa[0dijasdf
sdfjs
9a
9fas9f
asf
9asd9asdfa
jsdf
jasd
fas
dfasjfa
jdf
asdjf
f
sd
asd
ijaidfjas
dasiasdf
as
fja
fsdj
apsdf
asd
fasd
fpas
fjas
dfjasfdpasjp89asepjas
fsa
dfj
Gesundheit.

idrinkwine732
05-20-2010, 01:34 PM
Can't jeopardize your SAT II scores? Where do you plan on going?
I think I was better off staying off the internet til late in high school so I could enjoy just being into mainstream/classic metal bands without fussing over not being able to go see whatever hip band was in town. But seeing Mastodon at a 200 capacity venue would have been nice...

I've been studying like hell for these. I did just okay on my first SAT, but the subject tests are where I have to shine.

The internet has been the source of all of my sadness and happiness when it comes to going to shows.