PDA

View Full Version : the new exodus album

Div
05-17-2010, 07:59 PM
fucking sucks.

to make my case let me present, exhibit b: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNVwlVd-LjY&feature=related

way to make a painfully generic sounding metal song you washed up assholes, fuck. :finger2:

Div
05-17-2010, 08:00 PM
meant to put this in the album reviews section, blame pabst.

b_halperin
05-17-2010, 08:21 PM
i really enjoyed it... :eyes:

different strokes for different folks?

sure it's not incredibly original, but i don't think it's a step in the wrong direction at all. Solo is really awesome.

Div
05-17-2010, 08:58 PM
just reminded me of the same blandness the recent kreator and overkill had, and it makes me angry when bands who were so good become like this.

DethMaiden
05-17-2010, 08:59 PM
just reminded me of the same blandness the recent kreator and overkill had, and it makes me angry when bands who were so good become like this.

Hordes of Chaos and Ironbound are both really good, man. I'm not really an Exodus fan but I don't see why they have to reinvent the wheel if their formula is doing it for their fans.

Div
05-18-2010, 12:09 AM
Hordes of Chaos and Ironbound are both really good, man. I'm not really an Exodus fan but I don't see why they have to reinvent the wheel if their formula is doing it for their fans.

you speak a true point, but i dont feel that this sounds all too much like their old stuff. i was listening to fabulous disaster earlier today and that sounds way more crusty than this. my argument is that if youre an old school thrash band you should keep that same style and not change your tuning and mixing to sound so polished and clean.

SomewhereInTime72
05-18-2010, 12:57 AM

:rocker:

ravenheart
05-18-2010, 03:40 AM
I love it. And there are some different things on there too. It's not just another Exodus album.

Crionics
05-18-2010, 11:54 AM
It was hit and miss for me..Some songs I enjoyed, others I found myself being bored. Then again, I was sick while listening to it..maybe I should retry when I get better.

BloodoftheKings
05-18-2010, 03:59 PM
should repost this in the album reviews section

JRA
05-18-2010, 05:42 PM
I find it amusing how the people praising the new albums by these respective thrash bands either a) haven't heard the old stuff, and b) don't like the old stuff for whatever reasons. Kind of like Metallica.

Though I don't think the song you posted is that bad, Div.

larvtard
05-18-2010, 06:54 PM
from what I've listened to, it's unspeakably bad. I stopped after "Nanking."
Maybe I'll listen to the six remaining songs another time, but these seven songs suck so much I don't know if I'll feel motivated to do so... :confused:

Don't get me wrong, the riffs are there (the same ones from Exhibit A, natch ;)), but the songs are not. The only song I can actually remember is "Hammer and Life" (the link Div posted), which isn't even that good.

BloodoftheKings
05-18-2010, 07:05 PM
I kinda liked it. Its way to long though, they should have left a few of the songs off the album (Democide, Beyond the pale, and the sun is my destroyer) and used them for the next album. After Burn Hollywood Burn I found myself getting really tired of the album. I do like this one more then the last 2 though. My favorite tracks are Hammer and life, Class Dismissed, DownFall, March of the Sychphants, and Burn Hollywood Burn.

larvtard
05-18-2010, 07:17 PM
Class Dismissed does have an awesome riff. If only it had some sort of hook so I could remember it...

Spiral_Slave
05-18-2010, 08:10 PM
I really think the album kicks ass. The only songs I don't care for are Beyond The Pale, The Sun Is My Destroyer (wasted Peter Tägtgren cameo :hecho:), and Democide. The rest is great IMO.

DethMaiden
05-18-2010, 09:06 PM
I find it amusing how the people praising the new albums by these respective thrash bands either a) haven't heard the old stuff, and b) don't like the old stuff for whatever reasons. Kind of like Metallica.

I don't really think that's the case.

Death Magnetic - love old Metallica, love it
World Painted Blood - love old Slayer, hate it
Endgame - love old Megadeth, hated UA, love it
Ironbound - have come to love old Overkill, love it
Hordes of Chaos - enjoy old Kreator, love it
The Formation of Damnation - like old Testament, not crazy about it

Other examples may exist. You're confusing me with your blanket statements that apply to no one and nothing.

Maiden33
05-18-2010, 09:44 PM
You're confusing me with your blanket statements that apply to no one and nothing.

That's what he does.

The Green and Black
05-19-2010, 06:55 AM

Other examples may exist. You're confusing me with your blanket statements that apply to no one and nothing.

My turn! :tongue:

Death Magnetic - Used to love old Metallica, I guess I still do to a degree, but I'm so sick of them. St Anger was awful, to say the least, but I quite enjoyed Death Magnetic! I was not interested in it at all, but my dad bought it for me cause he liked it so much and I gave it a chance, and have to say I enjoy it.

World Painted Blood - Love old Slayer, this one (while I don't own it yet) from what I have heard is better than their last few, possibly the best one since Divine Intervention, which I adore.

Endgame - I think this one is great, love it! I'm a huge Megadeth fan though, love everything they have done so far, well not Risk, and not Dave's religion.

Ironbound - I can't say enough good things about this album. It's their best since Underground, and I love old Overkill!!!!!!!!!! Oh yes, I do!

Hordes of Chaos - A good effort, a little trendy/hot topic sounding at times, and it has it's weak moments, but still solid, wouldnt go out of my way to complain about it, but can't really praise it either. It has a few really good tracks though, overall reminds me of more recent Slayer, which I think Kreator should do better, always thought they were better than Slayer, the German Slayer! I guess I just expect more out of them.

The Formation of Damnation - I love this record! And I'm a fan of old Testament, my favorite being The New Order.

Edit: Almost forgot about the topic at hand! The new Exodus, I have sorta given up on Exodus and don't really care about them anymore, but from what I heard it does not sound bad, actually a lot better than I was expecting.

JRA
05-19-2010, 10:43 AM

Except it's not just you.

Dissimulate
05-23-2010, 03:27 PM
To damn long, most of the songs sounded dragged out. If it had shorter songs, it would have pretty good.

ravenheart
05-23-2010, 03:57 PM

On this basis:

Metallica - love old, love Death Magnetic
Slayer - meh old, haven't heard World Painted Blood
Megadeth - love old, meh Endgame (too disjointed, horrible horrible lyrics)
Overkill - love everything. Ever. The End.
Kreator - as above.
Testament - as above.
Exodus - as above.

That's so far. There's every chance any of these bands could turn in an album I don't care for. But so far, it's mostly all good.

idrinkwine732
05-23-2010, 04:06 PM
I listened to it for the first time yesterday and thought it was okay...wouldn't say it's good though.

mankvill
05-23-2010, 04:12 PM
I think I feel the same way about the new Heathen that Div feels about the new Exodus.

It's okay. Good even. But nothing special. And SONGS ARE TOO LONG

BloodoftheKings
05-23-2010, 04:13 PM

Death Magnetic - Amazing compared to all the shit after AJFA but just okay.
World Painted blood - Pretty good, their best of the 2000's imo
Endgame - Amazing:rocker:
Ironbound - Good but nothing incredible
Hordes of Chaos - Have'nt heard yet
Formation of Damation - Awesome

ravenheart
05-23-2010, 04:16 PM
I think I feel the same way about the new Heathen that Div feels about the new Exodus.

WHAT?!

mankvill
05-23-2010, 04:25 PM
WHAT?!

Ravenheart and I (and the majority of this board) disagree on something?!

who wulda thunk it

ravenheart
05-23-2010, 04:31 PM
Ravenheart and I (and the majority of this board) disagree on something?!

who wulda thunk it

Actually, I'm fairly sure most of the Heathen listeners here are with me on this one. That album is killer.

mankvill
05-23-2010, 04:33 PM
Actually, I'm fairly sure most of the Heathen listeners here are with me on this one. That album is killer.

I'm not saying it's bad, but it's just...meh. To me.

JRA
05-23-2010, 04:33 PM

Agreed, but I also agree that some of those songs would benefit from having 30 seconds chopped off. (not to mention not fading 7 out of ten out)

Overkill - love everything. Ever. The End.

For some reason I thought you were meh on old Overkill. I was mistaken.

ravenheart
05-23-2010, 04:37 PM
For some reason I thought you were meh on old Overkill. I was mistaken.

More so than later Overkill, yes. But that shit still kills. I just prefer them when they're being a little less direct.

idrinkwine732
05-23-2010, 05:20 PM

Yeah man, I'm with Ravenheart on this one, that album is amazing. Best thrash album of the year so far if you ask me.

Crionics
05-24-2010, 11:16 AM
I guess I'll have to take another listen soon since my cold is going away

jhdeity
05-26-2010, 07:28 AM
Yeah man, I'm with Ravenheart on this one, that album is amazing. Best thrash album of the year so far if you ask me.

I'd have to agree. Heather and Deftones are the 2 most shocking cd's for me. Maybe I had way low expectations for both but both are incredible in their own way to me.

New Exodus is ok. I prefer Shovel Headed Kill Machine over the last 2 but really respect Exodus for their resurrection

andrew_metalhead
06-05-2010, 03:22 PM
I love the album. Some people might find the songs too long but they didn't bore me at all. The best thrash CD this year along with Ironbound. For people who keep saying that bands like Overkill and Exodus used to be good, aren't good anymore etc, etc, sorry I don't agree. And I'm not being a dick or anything. I just don't agree! :)

9/10

My review: http://metalassault.com/Reviews/051810_Exodus.php

ravenheart
06-05-2010, 04:32 PM
For people who keep saying that bands like Overkill and Exodus used to be good, aren't good anymore etc, etc, sorry I don't agree. And I'm not being a dick or anything. I just don't agree! :)

I never did. Even when they weren't successful.

How long has this album been out in the US? It seems like ages ago I reviewed it.

es156
06-05-2010, 04:41 PM
I never did. Even when they weren't successful.

How long has this album been out in the US? It seems like ages ago I reviewed it.

I think it was released on May 18th. The songs I have heard sound pretty good so far.

ravenheart
06-05-2010, 05:00 PM
That's longer ago than I was expecting. I was thinking it was last week or something.

It was May 10 here, which means I reviewed it the week before latest. I guess it feels like so long because I've had it since the beginning of April.

People should be liking it though. It's long and razor sharp.

stevepwn
08-16-2010, 05:44 PM

new overkill album kicked ass, new kreator album sucked, new exodus album not as good as the last, i am a huge exodus fan so i will never say anything bad about them (:

Spiral_Slave
08-16-2010, 07:44 PM
This album pwns I don't know how old school fans of Exodus can't dig songs like Devil's Teeth and March Of The Sycophants, they have some of the tastiest riffs since Fabulous Disaster!

Edit: Democide sucks, but I'd say every other song is solid.