PDA

View Full Version : History of mosh pits? First ever?

Travis The Dragon
05-17-2010, 03:33 PM
I'm curious about when and how moshing got started? I wonder what the first mosh pit ever was. How the idea got started. And so on. Anyone got any details to share about this? I'd love to hear it.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
05-17-2010, 03:36 PM
I think it got started in the 70's punk scene with slam dancing. I could be wrong.

Wizzbang11
05-17-2010, 03:40 PM
It started in punk, I believe bands like Exodus and DRI brought it over into metal.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
05-17-2010, 03:42 PM
I think it got started in the 70's punk scene with slam dancing.

yep.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slam_dancing

larvtard
05-17-2010, 04:30 PM
This isn't completely relevant to the topic, but does it piss anyone off that there are moshpits at non-metal concerts?

My friend went to an Angels and Airwaves concert last night and told me there were insane moshpits there :mad: :hmm:

The Green and Black
05-17-2010, 04:36 PM
I find mosh pits incredibly annoying for the most part, because people don't know how the hell to act anymore. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good old fashioned circle pit at a thrash show, but that karate kung fu bullshit popularized by nu metal, mall metal and dare I say, Pantera, bugs the shit out of me. And don't get me started on crowd surfing. :mad:

Maiden33
05-17-2010, 04:40 PM
I find mosh pits incredibly annoying for the most part, because people don't know how the hell to act anymore. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy a good old fashioned circle pit at a thrash show, but that karate kung fu bullshit popularized by nu metal, mall metal and dare I say, Pantera, bugs the shit out of me. And don't get me started on crowd surfing. :mad:

Word. Basically, aside from a few random shows I go to once in a while, there should never be any of that stuff at a show I'm at.

evildeadjedi
05-17-2010, 04:56 PM

Exactly, granted the Kung Fu and "pit dancing" stuff mostly came from Hardcore and Straight Edge bands like Gorilla Biscuits, Sick of It All, Agnostic Front, Earth Crisis, Shelter, VOD, Judge, One King Down, Hatebreed, etc. The emocore, mallcore, etc have now took them.

I agree that many times at shows people don't understand the "pit philosophy" and just go in looking to injure someone or start a fight. :mad:

DethMaiden
05-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Peter Gabriel invented the crowd surf! :)

The Green and Black
05-17-2010, 05:08 PM
Peter Gabriel invented the crowd surf! :)

I always thought it was Pearl Jam. :eyes:

Maiden33
05-17-2010, 05:10 PM
The other problem is that you have a couple of people at shows (this happens a lot at shows I go to) that don't realize that 95% of the crowd doesn't want to mosh or be rough - but they insist on trying to start a pit anyway. Normally it just died off after like one song, but some idiots will persist for the entire show. This happened when I saw Gamma Ray in 2006 and it wound up with me giving up my 3rd or 4th row spot to move to the back to actually enjoy the show.

DethMaiden
05-17-2010, 05:21 PM
I always thought it was Pearl Jam. :eyes:

He did it as early as 1971 with Genesis.

JRA
05-17-2010, 05:51 PM
I WOULD TOTALLY MOSH TO GAMMA RAY!!

Cynicist
05-17-2010, 06:24 PM
One of the most annoying things I saw was a bunch of yo yo white boys in wife beaters and ball caps trying to mosh to Type O.

I mean, Type O is so slow, and frankly boring at times, and these fucks come in pushing and trying to crowd surf.

It makes me mad.

I do like Type O.

neener neener neener.

idrinkwine732
05-17-2010, 07:09 PM
You'd be surprised how many people go to these shows specifically to crowd surf and mosh and beat up kids...

xStructualDefect
05-17-2010, 07:13 PM
i think mosh pits give a better atmosphere to a show. it shows that the crowd is really into it. but i'll agree that for some bands it's not neccesary to mosh.

what was quite shocking to me was when i saw Symphony X two years ago, their pit was suprisingly very active throughout the whole set.

Maiden33
05-17-2010, 07:14 PM
The other problem is that you have a couple of people at shows (this happens a lot at shows I go to) that don't realize that 95% of the crowd doesn't want to mosh or be rough - but they insist on trying to start a pit anyway. Normally it just died off after like one song, but some idiots will persist for the entire show. This happened when I saw Gamma Ray in 2006 and it wound up with me giving up my 3rd or 4th row spot to move to the back to actually enjoy the show.

Oh yes, and I should note that these experiences are a big reason why I try to avoid going to shows in New York City. There is a specific demographic of "New York City Power Metal Kids" that piss me the fuck off and come dangerously close to ruining the experience of every show I go to in the city. Thank god Primal Fear didn't have any last September, and I pray it's the same deal on Thursday.

b_halperin
05-17-2010, 07:27 PM
I really like mosh pits because I think it's a lot more interesting than just standing their. Also if I were playing a show I'd love to see the crowd moshpitting and going crazy.

I do however, hate any kung fu and hardcore dancing, and any douchebag that doesn't abide by the unwritten laws of mosh pit etiquitte (don't hit people, help people up when they fall, etc.) Mosh pits have been given a bad name mostly by "hardcore" douchenozzles.

Wizzbang11
05-17-2010, 07:34 PM
You'd be surprised how many people go to these shows specifically to crowd surf and mosh and beat up kids...

:cool:

DethMaiden
05-17-2010, 07:37 PM
For the record, the "just standing there" is not the sole alternative to moshing. There's also "rocking out," which I gladly do.

evildeadjedi
05-17-2010, 07:43 PM
For the record, the "just standing there" is not the sole alternative to moshing. There's also "rocking out," which I gladly do.

Exactly throwing horns in air, head banging like a mad man, belting out the lyrics to the songs you know, etc :horns:

Maiden33
05-17-2010, 07:47 PM
Exactly throwing horns in air, head banging like a mad man, belting out the lyrics to the songs you know, etc :horns:

Exactly. This is what I do at every show.

TonyD
05-17-2010, 07:49 PM

If we run in some of the same circles, I know who you're talking about.

IrritatedTrout
05-17-2010, 08:14 PM

Exactly.

rjturtle9
05-17-2010, 08:48 PM
I'm not much of a mosh pit type person. Every now and then if there is a pretty good circle pit I will jump in but not often. But I still want it to happen at shows. It gets the rest of the crowd moving and packing everyone to together, which for me at least brings out my true energy at a show. it's easier for me to sing at the top of my lungs and "rock out" (I hate saying that) when the whole crowd is moving a little. Now sometimes at bigger shows it gets more violent to the point where many can't even enjoy the show, but hey, it's a metal show. You should expect it.

And screw you guys I love to crowd surf :finger:

but I do agree, moshing doesn't belong at most power metal shows. it's just not right. Keep the pits at the thrash, death, black...etc shows.

TonyD
05-17-2010, 09:07 PM
Crowd surfing is awesome lol
I've only done it a couple times because it's dangerous when you're close to the pit and you have to have somebody hold all of your shit. I learned the hard way when my phone dropped on the floor during Machine Head. I ended up getting it back with a scratch or two, lucky me.

rjturtle9
05-17-2010, 09:14 PM
Crowd surfing is awesome lol
I've only done it a couple times because it's dangerous when you're close to the pit and you have to have somebody hold all of your shit. I learned the hard way when my phone dropped on the floor during Machine Head. I ended up getting it back with a scratch or two, lucky me.

Oh I know :lol:

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=18291435&albumID=100161&imageID=72237921

TonyD
05-17-2010, 09:17 PM
:lol: I forgot.

xStructualDefect
05-17-2010, 10:54 PM
I'm not much of a mosh pit type person. Every now and then if there is a pretty good circle pit I will jump in but not often. But I still want it to happen at shows. It gets the rest of the crowd moving and packing everyone to together, which for me at least brings out my true energy at a show. it's easier for me to sing at the top of my lungs and "rock out" (I hate saying that) when the whole crowd is moving a little. Now sometimes at bigger shows it gets more violent to the point where many can't even enjoy the show, but hey, it's a metal show. You should expect it.

And screw you guys I love to crowd surf :finger:

but I do agree, moshing doesn't belong at most power metal shows. it's just not right. Keep the pits at the thrash, death, black...etc shows.

gotta agree with you. i think a good pit needs to happen at majority of metal shows. but yeah moshing to power metal can be awkward. but when i saw DragonForce 4 years ago, (before all the guitar hero nerds liked them) there was A LOT of moshing. their entire crowd was a big pit pretty much. i've seen Sonata get a pit to 8th Commandment, and Stratovarius get a pit to Phoenix, and i think a few other songs.

rjturtle9
05-17-2010, 11:09 PM
gotta agree with you. i think a good pit needs to happen at majority of metal shows. but yeah moshing to power metal can be awkward. but when i saw DragonForce 4 years ago, (before all the guitar hero nerds liked them) there was A LOT of moshing. their entire crowd was a big pit pretty much. i've seen Sonata get a pit to 8th Commandment, and Stratovarius get a pit to Phoenix, and i think a few other songs.

I have to admit, I want there to be pits at DragonForce shows. The energy they put on stage really gets carried on to the crowds. And yes, im going to sound like a noob right now but, their music is more than fast enough for a pit.

At Sonata, I was in the pit for 8th Commandment. It really was the only pit worthy song in their set. But, too the people who were pitting for all other Sonata songs, the Hammerfall show, and at the Maiden shows I have been too, please, just stay home next time ;)

Maiden33
05-17-2010, 11:28 PM
It needs to be said again: Basically aside from like 3-5 shows I've ever been to: if you mosh at anything I'm at - you're an asshole - end of story.

Moshing to bands like Sonata Arctica and Hammerfall is so hilariously gay it shouldn't even be talked about, let alone actually done.

xStructualDefect
05-17-2010, 11:39 PM
I have to admit, I want there to be pits at DragonForce shows. The energy they put on stage really gets carried on to the crowds. And yes, im going to sound like a noob right now but, their music is more than fast enough for a pit.

At Sonata, I was in the pit for 8th Commandment. It really was the only pit worthy song in their set. But, too the people who were pitting for all other Sonata songs, the Hammerfall show, and at the Maiden shows I have been too, please, just stay home next time ;)

yeah 8th commandment is a pit worthy song. but that's the only Sonata song that's pit worthy. was that pit even good? they do have other fast songs but you still can't mosh to them.

and i agree dragonforce is fast enough for a pit. but i haven't seen them get a good pit in awhile. the first 2 times i saw them (sept 06 @ wiltern; oct 06 @ galaxy) the crowd was very active and a good pit lasted. the last time i saw dragonforce which was november 08 the pit was full of nerds doing air guitar the whole time.

now that i think about Stratovarius actually asked for a mosh pit when they played Pheonix.

rjturtle9
05-17-2010, 11:44 PM
It needs to be said again: Basically aside from like 3-5 shows I've ever been to: if you mosh at anything I'm at - you're an asshole - end of story.

Moshing to bands like Sonata Arctica and Hammerfall is so hilariously gay it shouldn't even be talked about, let alone actually done.

That your at? I get that you go to a lot of power metal shows so I get that, but the way you typed that sentence, you sound very assholeish. (yes, I know, not a word)

And it is stupid to mosh at those shows. Except for 8th Commandment, I just couldn't resist. But yes, Moshing at power metal shows is pretty lame.

rjturtle9
05-17-2010, 11:45 PM
yeah 8th commandment is a pit worthy song. but that's the only Sonata song that's pit worthy. was that pit even good?

No :lol:

xStructualDefect
05-17-2010, 11:51 PM
No :lol:

:lol: yeah when i saw them in '07 the pit to that song wasn't good but it still got started. watching people mosh at power metal shows is equivalent to watching bumper cars.

rjturtle9
05-18-2010, 12:09 AM
:lol: yeah when i saw them in '07 the pit to that song wasn't good but it still got started. watching people mosh at power metal shows is equivalent to watching bumper cars.

:lol: awesome man!!!

Natrlhi
05-18-2010, 11:19 AM
you sound very assholeish. (yes, I know, not a word)It definitely is a word, and you used it correctly. ;)

In other news...you know what I hate? Whining.

You want a brief history on mosh pits? Here we go. Moshing started with slam dancing, as has been observed. It was brought to the metal scene by thrash bands such as Exodus (whose song "Toxic Waltz" becomes utterly meaningless if the whiners ever get their way - which will never happen, BTW, so don't worry). Then, moshing started showing up in weird places like the Lollapalooza festivals in the mid-90's for grunge bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Even Beastie Boys and other unlikely bands started getting pits. Then, anyone who wanted to be cool started doing it. That's when things got fucked up, and that's when the whining really started.

Granted, mosh pits at power metal shows are stupid, for the most part. Mosh pits at nu-metal shows seem douchey, but they're understandable. Let the scene kids beat each other up - I don't care...I'm not there anyway. Mosh pits at death metal shows, grindcore shows, black metal shows, and even some stoner metal shows is absolutely appropriate (or at least typical), and should be expected. It should also be noted that festivals and big shows which include multiple genres will likely have pits if any of the bands on the bill are from the previously-mentioned group. That is why multi-genre shows can be a bad idea, and hence the amount of whining in the universe increases.

The rules for moshing have changed, too. The etiquette of moshing from when it started in the beginning was fine, but today there are fuckers out there who want to hurt people. This is because they are angry with their parents, or with the girl who dumped them (probably because they are violent assholes), or with the world in general, or whatever, so they take their anger out on people in the pit. If I see people like this at shows, I just ignore them, unless they do something to me or to another innocent person. Then I will get involved, because I'm lucky enough to be big enough to be able to take care of myself. This happens very rarely, but it has happened.

The bottom line is, as with anything else, there are people out there who like to do things that you don't like (the "you" in this sentence is generic...relax). If you go to a place where moshing might happen, don't get all pissy about it - just enjoy yourself as best you can and understand that the world doesn't revolve around you, and people don't owe you anything. Moshing happens, sometimes in inappropriate places, and sometimes in inappropriate ways (and sometimes both). Oh well. Get over it. You're at a metal show, after all. Just move somewhere else, or grow a pair and deal with it - or stand next to a big guy like me. I have shielded so many chicks and smaller dudes at shows from moshers, and they always thank me afterward and we laugh about it and move on with our lives. No big fucking deal.

I don't mosh very often anymore. The last time was at Meshuggah a few years ago, because...it's fucking Meshuggah. I don't smoke. I don't drink anymore. I don't smoke weed. However, people around me do all of these things constantly at shows, and I don't get all vagina-y about it (that's a word, because I fucking said so), and do you know why? It's because I'm there to enjoy the show, not to add items to my list of complaints against the management of the universe. Life is too short, and opportunities for fun are too precious to waste on worrying about what other people around me are doing.

If people outside my bubble enter into it and really violate my space, I have four choices: (1) move the bubble, (2) let it slide, (3) push back, or (4) complain (listed in order of effectiveness, from most to least). I usually choose the second, and sometimes the first (although I may not like it). Every once in a while, I choose option number three and simply push back - hard. Luckily for me, that usually works. If you don't have that option, then I humbly suggest you try choice one or two.

:soapbox:

Wizzbang11
05-18-2010, 11:27 AM
It definitely is a word, and you used it correctly. ;)

In other news...you know what I hate? Whining.

You want a brief history on mosh pits? Here we go. Moshing started with slam dancing, as has been observed. It was brought to the metal scene by thrash bands such as Exodus (whose song "Toxic Waltz" becomes utterly meaningless if the whiners ever get their way - which will never happen, BTW, so don't worry). Then, moshing started showing up in weird places like the Lollapalooza festivals in the mid-90's for grunge bands like Nirvana and Pearl Jam. Even Beastie Boys and other unlikely bands started getting pits. Then, anyone who wanted to be cool started doing it. That's when things got fucked up, and that's when the whining really started.

Granted, mosh pits at power metal shows are stupid, for the most part. Mosh pits at nu-metal shows seem douchey, but they're understandable. Let the scene kids beat each other up - I don't care...I'm not there anyway. Mosh pits at death metal shows, grindcore shows, black metal shows, and even some stoner metal shows is absolutely appropriate (or at least typical), and should be expected. It should also be noted that festivals and big shows which include multiple genres will likely have pits if any of the bands on the bill are from the previously-mentioned group. That is why multi-genre shows can be a bad idea, and hence the amount of whining in the universe increases.

The rules for moshing have changed, too. The etiquette of moshing from when it started in the beginning was fine, but today there are fuckers out there who want to hurt people. This is because they are angry with their parents, or with the girl who dumped them (probably because they are violent assholes), or with the world in general, or whatever, so they take their anger out on people in the pit. If I see people like this at shows, I just ignore them, unless they do something to me or to another innocent person. Then I will get involved, because I'm lucky enough to be big enough to be able to take care of myself. This happens very rarely, but it has happened.

The bottom line is, as with anything else, there are people out there who like to do things that you don't like (the "you" in this sentence is generic...relax). If you go to a place where moshing might happen, don't get all pissy about it - just enjoy yourself as best you can and understand that the world doesn't revolve around you, and people don't owe you anything. Moshing happens, sometimes in inappropriate places, and sometimes in inappropriate ways (and sometimes both). Oh well. Get over it. You're at a metal show, after all. Just move somewhere else, or grow a pair and deal with it - or stand next to a big guy like me. I have shielded so many chicks and smaller dudes at shows from moshers, and they always thank me afterward and we laugh about it and move on with our lives. No big fucking deal.

I don't mosh very often anymore. The last time was at Meshuggah a few years ago, because...it's fucking Meshuggah. I don't smoke. I don't drink anymore. I don't smoke weed. However, people around me do all of these things constantly at shows, and I don't get all vagina-y about it (that's a word, because I fucking said so), and do you know why? It's because I'm there to enjoy the show, not to add items to my list of complaints against the management of the universe. Life is too short, and opportunities for fun are too precious to waste on worrying about what other people around me are doing.

If people outside my bubble enter into it and really violate my space, I have four choices: (1) move the bubble, (2) let it slide, (3) push back, or (4) complain (listed in order of effectiveness, from most to least). I usually choose the second, and sometimes the first (although I may not like it). Every once in a while, I choose option number three and simply push back - hard. Luckily for me, that usually works. If you don't have that choice, then I humbly suggest you try choice one or two.

:soapbox:

:party:
I'm always amazed at the amount of people on the internet who bitch about moshing at metal shows, if they don't like it they can leave. It's part of the environment of the show, and it's easy enough to avoid if you really can't handle being smashed into now and then.

Natrlhi
05-18-2010, 11:40 AM
I'm always amazed at the amount of people on the internet who bitch...I'm not. It seems that is the main purpose of the Internet. That, and porn.

Derelict
05-18-2010, 11:44 AM
I don't mosh anymore, so I stay away from the pits. The only thing that bothers me is people intentionally trying to hurt others.

To paraphrase Tom Araya on Decade of Aggression "hey listen, if you see someone hit the ground, pick him up. That's what we are here to do, help each other out. THIS IS A SONG CALLED WAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR EEEEEENNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSEMMMMMMMMMMMBBBLLLLLLLLLEEE E"

powerslave_85
05-18-2010, 11:49 AM
Well said, Nat. I don't have a problem with moshing, and I participate from time to time.

However, I would support implementing the death penalty for crowd-surfers. I have less animosity towards stage divers*, though, because at least you can see them coming. Nothing like having fun up front at a show and having some asshole land right on your head :hecho:

*One of my favorite concert memories is seeing a ~10 year old girl stage-diving at an Against Me! show.

Derelict
05-18-2010, 11:53 AM
I generally hate getting kicked in the head by crowdsurfers, but crowdsurfering at Wacken during In Flames is in my top 5 highlights of my life

SomewhereInTime72
05-18-2010, 12:13 PM
I'm always amazed at the amount of people on the internet who bitch about moshing at metal shows, if they don't like it they can leave. It's part of the environment of the show, and it's easy enough to avoid if you really can't handle being smashed into now and then.
:eyes:

Right, because who cares if someone wants to go to a show because they like the music, but doesn't want to be pushed down, crashed into, kicked in the head, and all the other ridiculous crap like that... right? Most people are gonna be there for the music, because they want to see and hear the band perform the music live. How many people really like the environment of a show...? I'll tell you that I don't particularly appreciate being shoved in a hot musky cramped dark space being covered in sweat that is entirely not my own. But, those are all things people are fine with because it's the nature of a crowded room fill with excited people. Moshing on the other hand is when half that entire crowded room are being ridiculous and bothering the other half who just want to watch and headbang and sing along and the like.

In response to what you said, I could just as easily say "if moshers just want to mosh, they shouldn't go to a show at all, because they're ruining the environment. just go to a fight club or something instead!"

The Green and Black
05-18-2010, 12:14 PM
I hate crowd surfing for so many reasons, and I don't see how being on either side is fun for anyone, getting kicked in the head isn't exactly my idea of fun, and neither is being groped by a bunch of sweaty strangers. I remember at an Overkill show years ago my hair got stuck in a crowd surfer's boot, and he went over the front barrier, and so did my head, luckily there was a half decent security guy present who held the asshole by his ankles until I broke free, scary! Another really annoying thing about crowd surfers is when you start recognizing them during the show, sometimes the same fucking moron will come overhead a billion times during the same set. I always enjoy when security tells them if they come over again, they will be removed from the venue. :lol:

Derelict
05-18-2010, 12:21 PM
Actually, even more offensive that crowdsurfers are people who don't wear deodorant at shows. They always cause me to relocate.

The Green and Black
05-18-2010, 12:25 PM
Actually, even more offensive that crowdsurfers are people who don't wear deodorant at shows. They always cause me to relocate.

This! Get a clue people!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Maiden33
05-18-2010, 12:27 PM
Solution to teach inconsiderate crowdsurfers a lesson: The Ball Claw.

Natrlhi
05-18-2010, 12:29 PM
:lol: I remember the first time I got hit strongly with the smell of the mosh pit. It made my head reel. Now I actuallly crave it, only because psychologically I make a connection between that smell and all the awesome times I've had in the pit over the years. Stinks so good! :rocker:

Maiden33
05-18-2010, 12:33 PM

Ugh, I don't even know what to say, this is so profoundly wrong.

The point I'm trying to make is that people NEED to realize that certain styles of metal are appropriate for it but certain ones are NOT - end of story. And the point I was making earlier (that gained some attention) was that aside from the occasional thrash show I go to, nothing I would ever attend is mosh-worthy - and the only people I ever find moshing are inconsiderate teenage assholes and drunk old men. And as I said, I especially have a problem when like 3 or 4 guys get in there with the intent to try to start a pit no matter what - and continue to be assholes no matter how many other people are bothered by it.

Also - when people start pits near the back of the floor of a venue it doesn't bother me that much. People don't wait in line for hours so they can be pushed around and constantly relocated and bothered. There's no reason why a pit should be near the front of the floor, because the people in it clearly think it's more important than actually watching the show.

Natrlhi
05-18-2010, 12:33 PM

:confused: What the fuck does this...
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_o1mjTdd-1wY/Sy-UaklQD3I/AAAAAAAAAUg/XyEsZVDIrtY/s400/ball+claw.jpg
...have to do with teaching crowd surfers a lesson?

Sanitarium78
05-18-2010, 12:35 PM
I don't mosh myself but I don't mind if others do at all. If they wanna completely miss the show and get the shit kicked out of them and be sore for the next week because of it, that's their problem. Crowd surfing is the one thing I can't stand at all:mad: Don't these fuckers realize how dangerous and stupid it is? It's not only dangerous to them but to others as well. I've seen people get legitimately hurt while doing this. I've taken my fair share of kicks to the head and people landing on me. I forget what band it was, but about ten years ago a local radio station was having their annual summer festival and in the middle of one of the bands sets a girl got hurt crowd surfing. Nobody realized she was coming and she went crashing to the ground and couldn't get up. To the bands credit they stopped playing and asked for medical help. The girl got taken off on a stretcher by the EMT's who were at the festival.

That's the main reason it's so dangerous. If you're looking ahead at the stage like you should be anyways if you're watching a band you like. You don't see them coming up from behind and that's ALWAYS when someone gets hurt or knocked in the head. If people don't see you coming and are not ready for you bad things can happen. It seems like a simple enough concept to me but I guess some concert goers are just to dumb to grasp something that simple:tp:

Maiden33
05-18-2010, 12:36 PM
:confused: What the fuck does this...
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_o1mjTdd-1wY/Sy-UaklQD3I/AAAAAAAAAUg/XyEsZVDIrtY/s400/ball+claw.jpg
...have to do with teaching crowd surfers a lesson?

I had no idea it was a real device... but imagine that concept but with a different, more human ball.

SomewhereInTime72
05-18-2010, 12:37 PM
Now I actuallly crave it, only because psychologically I make a connection between that smell and all the awesome times I've had in the pit over the years. Stinks so good! :rocker:

:eek: :eek:

Natrlhi
05-18-2010, 12:38 PM
I had no idea it was a real device... but imagine that concept but with a different, more human ball.I figured as much. :lol:

Natrlhi
05-18-2010, 12:39 PM
:eek: :eek:It's a Pavlovian thing, what can I say? ;)

IrritatedTrout
05-18-2010, 12:49 PM
Well, at least most of us can agree that crowd surfing is fucking retarded.:lol:

larvtard
05-18-2010, 01:10 PM

COMPLETELY agree. I always look forward to mosh pits but I'm always kinda anxious/skeptical of getting in. I'm not small or anything- 5' 11''- but I'm extremely skinny, and not physical/violent at all.

I crowdsurfed at Megadeth though, and it was awesome ;)
I can see why most of you are opposed to it though. I accidentaly turned over on my stomach and kicked a bunch of people. One guy was even filming it and his video stopped because I kicked his camera out of his hand :tongue:

mankvill
05-18-2010, 01:22 PM
I very rarely mosh. I'm fine with standing on the edge and getting knocked into/pushed down by moshers, and I always help them up and I've always been helped up. I love mosh pits, I just don't like to participate in them very much.

Chyck
05-18-2010, 01:38 PM
1) I lurve you, Natty

2) It's worse when someone farts in the pit

3) I have little problem with crowd surfers because it's rather easy to tell when they're coming - I just watch the security. Of course, I'm also short enough that they usually don't hit me.

4) I do, however, despise hardcore surfers who try to beat the crap out of the very same people holding them up. I drop them on their heads.

5) Surfers under 100 lbs or over 200 lbs always achieve hilarious results

6) This thread may have convinced me to finally try surfing... except that I don't want to break any more bones

mankvill
05-18-2010, 01:46 PM
6) This thread may have convinced me to finally try surfing

*grope*

Maiden33
05-18-2010, 02:15 PM
3) I have little problem with crowd surfers because it's rather easy to tell when they're coming - I just watch the security. Of course, I'm also short enough that they usually don't hit me.

Being 6'3-ish becomes quite a bitch here. :(

Chyck
05-18-2010, 04:38 PM
Being 6'3-ish becomes quite a bitch here. :(

Boots to the face galore! Sucks to be you ;)

TonyD
05-18-2010, 04:47 PM
Boots to the face galore! Sucks to be you ;)

I think being as tall or taller than everyone else at a standing room show has it's perks as well. But I guess it doesn't make a difference since it sounds like he's at the front almost all of the time anyway.

Chyck
05-18-2010, 04:55 PM
I think being as tall or taller than everyone else at a standing room show has it's perks as well. But I guess it doesn't make a difference since it sounds like he's at the front almost all of the time anyway.

It's way more useful to be tall. I have no choice (woe is me :tongue:) but to be at the front or I can't see a thing. I didn't really think until this thread that there was any benefit whatsoever to being vertically challenged.

bt11763
05-18-2010, 09:06 PM
The only thing that bothers me is people intentionally trying to hurt others.

To paraphrase Tom Araya on Decade of Aggression "hey listen, if you see someone hit the ground, pick him up. That's what we are here to do, help each other out. THIS IS A SONG CALLED WAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRR EEEEEENNNNNNNSSSSSSSSSSEMMMMMMMMMMMBBBLLLLLLLLLEEE E"

This x1,000,000,000,000

also, i love crowd surfing/helping up (most) crowd surfers. i'm surprised so many of you get so uppity over it :lol:

TonyD
05-18-2010, 09:51 PM
The first time I did, two guys gave me the "up" sign, so I go to help one guy boost the other up, and before I know what's happening, they pick me up and I'm surfing :lol:

Dextrimental
05-18-2010, 10:47 PM
I personally love moshing, I do it at most shows I go to. However, I have never forced someone into a pit, and if i bump into someone who wasn't involved in the pit, I immediately apologise, just because I'm nice like that. Granted, when I amen't moshing, and I get really into the atmosphere of a song and some guy gets thrown into me from the pit, its very annoying, but fuck it, he's having a good time, enjoying the show how he wants to. After all, he paid his money to see the show too, and he didn't intentionally hit me. And theres a whole lot worse that could happen at a show than mosh pits. So fuck it, and, to those of you who have this thing of 'people who mosh are assholes blah blah', they paid their money to enjoy the show, you aren't the center of the universe, so fuck off.

Thanks for reading :D

powerslave_85
05-18-2010, 10:51 PM
I once had a guy try to just climb up on my back to crowd surf with no warning or permission at a Lamb of God show (go figure). Fucking asshole.

The Green and Black
05-19-2010, 05:39 AM
For the most part with pits, you have a choice whether you want to be in one or not, and as long as the pits are in the middle or towards the back, I have no issues with it at all, really, other than I think it's dumb to miss seeing the actual show but to each their own. Come to think about it, I feel the same way about drunks at shows. I have come to realize that most moshers (and drunks) don't care about the bands or the music, otherwise they would be paying attention. If a mosher falls down in the pit, I agree, fellow moshers should help them up. But as far as crowd surfers go, they get what they deserve. I enjoy when they get dropped or fall. It is their own fault, so I have no sympathy. When they come my way, I usually duck and cover, I'm not helping them move along, nor am I touching their sweaty ass. I have been known to beat on a few of the more obnoxious ones though as they passed overhead, particularly the ones who like to kick.

Natrlhi
05-19-2010, 07:22 AM
1) I lurve you, Natty:cool: RBAY :lovedup:

6) This thread may have convinced me to finally try surfing... except that I don't want to break any more bonesTwo things...one, you may get groped - occupational hazard / nature of the beast, that's all I'm saying...and two, they're only bones - they'll heal. ;)

Maiden33
05-19-2010, 07:43 AM
On the subject of crowd-surfing - I can somewhat understand the allure of doing it at a large show - meaning anything over like 5,000 people. But people who insist on trying to do it in clubs so they can crowdsurf over 15 rows of people are assholes.

Chyck
05-19-2010, 07:45 AM
When they come my way, I usually duck and cover, I'm not helping them move along, nor am I touching their sweaty ass.

That's exactly how people get hurt, surfers and non-surfers alike. No, it may not be pleasant, but if the crowd doesn't help them along, someone will get a boot to the head. Plus, isn't everyone already covered in their and everyone else's sweat anyway? Who cares at that point?

I have been known to beat on a few of the more obnoxious ones though as they passed overhead, particularly the ones who like to kick.

Kicking surfers are assholes. Fuck 'em.

Two things...one, you may get groped - occupational hazard / nature of the beast, that's all I'm saying...and two, they're only bones - they'll heal. ;)

Considering the (usually accidental) groping I've done, it would serve me right... but broken bones means missing shows, and that sucks.

Natrlhi
05-19-2010, 07:52 AM
Considering the (usually accidental) groping I've done, it would serve me rightNice! At least you're honest. :lol: :D

but broken bones means missing shows, and that sucks.You make a very valid point. :chinscratch:

The Green and Black
05-19-2010, 08:19 AM
That's exactly how people get hurt, surfers and non-surfers alike. No, it may not be pleasant, but if the crowd doesn't help them along, someone will get a boot to the head. Plus, isn't everyone already covered in their and everyone else's sweat anyway? Who cares at that point?

If they don't want to risk getting hurt, then perhaps they should not be surfing to begin with. I'm smaller than all of them, I want no part of it, ever since my hair got stuck in that guys boot, duck and cover has been my preferred method.

bt11763
05-19-2010, 08:52 AM

Kicking surfers are assholes. Fuck 'em.

Considering the (usually accidental) groping I've done, it would serve me right... but broken bones means missing shows, and that sucks.

agreed except the last point, i took my friend to see GWAR for the fist time and he was in a soft cast because he had torn or stretched some tendons or something in his knee. Still didn't stop him, and he still consideres the extra weeks of pain totally worth it :rocker:

rjturtle9
05-19-2010, 10:00 AM

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::finger2:

I never want to go to a show with you :flame:

But yes, just like moshers, crowdsurfers can be assholes too. But, being the nice guy I am, I always ask to be lifted instead of climbing on random peoples shoulders, and I try to keep my feet up as much to keep from not kicking people in the head. I know I'm having fun when I do it, but that's no reason to ruin everyone elses fun while doing so. And besides, I'm a skinny fellow, carrying me should be no problem to most of you ;)

Sanitarium78
05-19-2010, 10:01 AM
If they don't want to risk getting hurt, then perhaps they should not be surfing to begin with. I'm smaller than all of them, I want no part of it, ever since my hair got stuck in that guys boot, duck and cover has been my preferred method.

Also, crowd surfing is more for younger people as well. Once you get over 30 like me, you've been to way too many shows and you run out of patience with them:D

The Green and Black
05-19-2010, 12:28 PM
All this pit talk made me remember the Million Decibel March, Free Show Metallica did in Philadelphia in November 1997! One of the craziest pits ever! I was within the first few rows in the front, being protected by several large bikers until we got seperated and I had to fend for myself! Good Times! :rocker:

Here is a video from that show to give you an idea what that crowd was like!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9iwsOUVeVk

bt11763
05-19-2010, 12:33 PM
All this pit talk made me remember the Million Decibel March, Free Show Metallica did in Philadelphia in November 1997! One of the craziest pits ever! I was within the first few rows in the front, being protected by several large bikers until we got seperated and I had to fend for myself! Good Times! :rocker:

:drool::drool::drool::drool::drool::drool:

Chyck
05-19-2010, 12:37 PM
agreed except the last point, i took my friend to see GWAR for the fist time and he was in a soft cast because he had torn or stretched some tendons or something in his knee. Still didn't stop him, and he still consideres the extra weeks of pain totally worth it :rocker:

I went to a couple shows last winter still wearing a plastic-brace/guard around my upper arm because two metal rods were still holding my humerus together. It was a blast, but I still missed the month of shows prior to that.

Derelict
05-19-2010, 12:39 PM

Damn, I had forgotten about that - jealous!

The Green and Black
05-19-2010, 12:55 PM
I had to go post the setlist in the other forum! :rocker:
That was such an amazing show!

Sanitarium78
05-19-2010, 05:22 PM

A mosh pit at a Metallica show:eek: The crowd must've thought it was still 1986:D