PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Dio memories

Sanitarium78
05-16-2010, 01:51 PM
I figured it might be kind of cool to pay honor to him by starting a thread about fond memories we all have of Ronnie James Dio.

I was fortunte enough to see Dio live on four seperate ocassions. The first time was in 1992 on Black Sabbath's Dehumanizer tour. This was only my second ever metal show and I was blown away not only by Dio's perfromance but the whole bands. Still to this day the heavist and loudest show i've ever been to:rocker: For such a little man he had such a strong voice and such a stage presence. I saw him solo in 1997 and 1998 both in small clubs and he played as if he was in front of a full arena of people. The last time I saw him was with Heaven & Hell in 2007. Once again he performed great and besides his voice not being what it used to be he didn't show to many signs of age at all. I will never forget any of these shows as they are all some of my favorites ever.

My best Dio memory though is that I actually meet him:bowdown: The day of the show that I saw him at back in 1998 he did a CD signing at a local record store earlier that day. All I could do when I meet him was shake his hand and tell how it was great to meet him and his music meant the world to me. He said "thank you, that means so much to me" Then asked me my name and signed my 'Last In Line' CD:rocker: He wrote "To Jeff, Magic, Ronnie James Dio" The meeting was so brief yet it meant so much to me. It means even more to me now that he's passed away. To this day he's the only big rock/metal star i've ever meet. Honestly, after meeting him I never had intrest in meeting any other famous musicians because I meet Dio and the rest didn't matter after that.

Anyone else got any memories about Ronnie that you would like to share?

rjturtle9
05-16-2010, 01:54 PM
Seeing him at the Greek. Yeah It was just like any other show that he and Sabbath put on, but this was special for me because it was my first and only show I went to with my father. Me and him don't have the best relationship, father/son wise, but it was great to be there with him.

DethMaiden
05-16-2010, 01:55 PM
Front row, Heaven and Hell with Megadeth, Cincinnati, May 8, 2007. At the time I was most impressed by being so close to Iommi, but at least today, being so close to Ronnie means a lot. A picture I took while Dio ran around stage with a bra he caught from an admirer, singing "Neon Knights" with the lyrics "Neon tits/neon tits/Show me your lumps":

http://hphotos-snc3.fbcdn.net/hs596.snc3/31420_1495602990474_1246070433_31406528_6448004_n. jpg

Crionics
05-16-2010, 01:57 PM
Listening to his era of Sabbath, really helped me get into metal. You guys probably have much better moments than me..but this does have meaning to me..I never though I would see this day..RIP

evildeadjedi
05-16-2010, 02:13 PM
I would say the first times I heard his voice on Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow and Heaven and Hell by Sabbath which my parents used to play on vinyl all the time.

Sadly, I never got a chance to see him live :(. I really wish I would have went to one of the Heaven and Hell shows back in 2007.

ChildrenofSodom
05-16-2010, 02:15 PM
First metal album I ever bought: The Very Beast Of Dio. Around 2003 or so. Been my favorite vocalist ever since.

Indestructible
05-16-2010, 02:18 PM
The only time i saw him was in 07 with heaven and hell. I wasnt up front butr i was close enought to the stage of two metal gods. Dio and Ioomi.

daimonos
05-16-2010, 02:30 PM
Whenever I was 8 years old, I started listening to Ozzy Osbourne. Soon after that I started listening to Black Sabbath.

I had all the Ozzy era Sabbath stuff. Then on a Greatest Hits package I heard the song Heaven and Hell. After that, it was all about Dio. I used to own at least 6 or 7 of his albums, and they changed my life, and propelled my interest in Heavy Metal.

Over the years though, as that interest propelled forward, I basically forgot how much I admired his music, and skipped out on the only chance I've ever had to see him, which was in 2007 whenever Heaven and Hell was touring with Motorhead, Testament, and Judas Priest. I now regret that.

It's funny how things work out though. Yesterday, a friend was at my house and he just happened to have a copy of Mob Rules with him, so I loaded it onto my computer, and I remembered how much I admired Dio's work. Then today, I learned of his death.

So, I had no choice but to go out and look for the old Dio albums I used to own. I picked up Dream Evil, The Last in Line, and Heaven and Hell. I wasn't able to find my childhood favorite, "Strange Highways", though, but that's ok.

His music will live on forever inside of me, and I will never forget about him again.

ravenheart
05-16-2010, 02:30 PM
I have two.

My first Dio show in 2002 on the 'Killing The Dragon' tour. I was near the back, in the 2000 capacity Astoria, and just sang along to every word of every song. At that time there was no-one I wanted to see live more.

Killing The Dragon
Children of The Sea >
Egypt (The Chains Are On) >
Children of The Sea (Reprise)
Stand Up And Shout
Drum Solo
Push
Don't Talk To Strangers
Heaven and Hell
Rock & Roll
Man on The Silver Mountain >
Guitar Solo >
Long Live Rock n Roll >
Man on The Silver Mountain (Reprise)
Lord of The Last Day
Fever Dreams
Holy Diver
The Last in Line
----------------
Rainbow in The Dark
The Mob Rules
We Rock

And last year. I had a photo pit pass for the Gods of Metal festival in Italy, and watched Dio sing my all-time favourite Sabbath song, 'I', from a few feet away.

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/wp-content/uploads/heavenandhell270609-07.jpg

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2009/gods-of-metal-2009-photo-gallery/#heavenandhell

idrinkwine732
05-16-2010, 02:53 PM
The first time I heard Heaven and Hell a few years ago.

I never saw him live, I would have loved to, but I didn't need to for him to have a massive effect on my life.

makethemsuffer12
05-16-2010, 03:05 PM
I saw Heaven and Hell at the PNC Bank Arts Center in New Jersey in 2007. Megadeth and Machine Head opened up. Amazing show.

My memory was towards the end of their set. If I remember correctly, Ronnie took these big, goofy-looking sunglasses from someone in the front row and wore them during one of the songs. :lol: It really showed how much of a down to earth, fun loving guy he truly was.

Sanitarium78
05-16-2010, 04:00 PM
My memory was towards the end of their set. If I remember correctly, Ronnie took these big, goofy-looking sunglasses from someone in the front row and wore them during one of the songs. :lol: It really showed how much of a down to earth, fun loving guy he truly was.

He always seemed to come off that way especially when it came to his fans. I know most artists love their fans but I don't think anyone loved his fans more than Dio did. From the stories i've heard he always seemed to go out of his way to put a smile on their faces:)

Fe Maiden
05-16-2010, 04:19 PM
Seeing him with Sabbath on the Black & Blue tour with Blue Oyster Cult

Seeing him on the Mob Rules Tour

Seeing him open for Maiden

The countless times his songs from Rainbow, Sabbath and solo have been in my ears! All good memories:light:

The Green and Black
05-16-2010, 04:59 PM
The first time I saw Dio was in 1998 at the Birch Hill in Old Bridge, NJ. It was about 2 hours away from where we lived, and knew there was no real way I could feasibly get there. I remember asking my dad every day if we could go, as far fetched as it seemed, I kept bugging him and he kept saying no. Then the day of the concert, I had almost given up all hope, my dad came home from work and casually says to me - Wanna go see Dio tonight? So off we went! This was also my first time going to the Birch Hill, which became my favorite club for many years after that night. I was front row and center for the Dio concert. I could not believe how close I was to such a legend. I had my Holy Diver CD cover with me, and during the show I held it out like a dork with a sharpie and asked Dio to sign it for me, while he was performing. He laughed and made a gesture that he was kinda busy at the moment. So here I thought I just pissed him off, then in between songs, he ran over to me and asked if he could sign my CD. I was shocked, and honored. What a great guy.

During the Magica tour, same club, Birch Hill, Dio had just given an amazing performance of the entire Magica album, plus more. Turns out Dio was sick that night. I was waiting for him outside the bus, but he didn't hang out, because he was ill. But he did sign items for everyone from inside the bus. What a class act, even when he is sick, he is still there for his fans.

Fast forward to the Master of the Moon tour, this time I saw Dio at the Trocadero in Philadelphia. I waited to meet him again. We talked for a while in the alley outside the Troc, and I have great photo of me and him together, that I will treasure always.

Those are just a few stories that come to mind, and stand out, I'm sure there are many more, as I think of more, I'll post them. So many great Dio memories through the years, as happy as they make me, I am equally as saddened that there will be no more Dio memories to make.

ravenheart
05-16-2010, 05:02 PM
He played a show in London when he was sick as a dog too. Two-hour show and no one knew the difference. It was only afterwards that people heard he'd been sick all day and had cancelled all of his interviews so that he could do the show. I saw one of the PR guys after the show and he said Ronnie had spent most of the afternoon with his head over a bowl of boiling water.

Sanitarium78
05-16-2010, 05:10 PM
The first time I saw Dio was in 1998 at the Birch Hill in Old Bridge, NJ. It was about 2 hours away from where we lived, and knew there was no real way I could feasibly get there. I remember asking my dad every day if we could go, as far fetched as it seemed, I kept bugging him and he kept saying no. Then the day of the concert, I had almost given up all hope, my dad came home from work and casually says to me - Wanna go see Dio tonight? So off we went! This was also my first time going to the Birch Hill, which became my favorite club for many years after that night. I was front row and center for the Dio concert. I could not believe how close I was to such a legend. I had my Holy Diver CD cover with me, and during the show I held it out like a dork with a sharpie and asked Dio to sign it for me, while he was performing. He laughed and made a gesture that he was kinda busy at the moment. So here I thought I just pissed him off, then in between songs, he ran over to me and asked if he could sign my CD. I was shocked, and honored. What a great guy.

During the Magica tour, same club, Birch Hill, Dio had just given an amazing performance of the entire Magica album, plus more. Turns out Dio was sick that night. I was waiting for him outside the bus, but he didn't hang out, because he was ill. But he did sign items for everyone from inside the bus. What a class act, even when he is sick, he is still there for his fans.

Fast forward to the Master of the Moon tour, this time I saw Dio at the Trocadero in Philadelphia. I waited to meet him again. We talked for a while in the alley outside the Troc, and I have great photo of me and him together, that I will treasure always.

Those are just a few stories that come to mind, and stand out, I'm sure there are many more, as I think of more, I'll post them. So many great Dio memories through the years, as happy as they make me, I am equally as saddened that there will be no more Dio memories to make.

Awesome stories!! The easy access he gave for his fans to meet him and for him to spend time and chat always made him so special. Very few in the music world are like that. Hey, your stories just put smile on my face for the first time in like 6 hours:)

JRA
05-16-2010, 06:40 PM
This.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APRi4EYDdkc&feature=related

b_halperin
05-16-2010, 06:43 PM
I wish I could have lived long enough to see him play, because although I've never seen him live, he is an icon and a legend to me and to all metal and i love his music. the only clear memory i have is the first time i ever heard Rainbow in the Dark.. that was the song that got me into his music!

RIP DIO!! You are missed!

EvilCheeseWedge
05-16-2010, 06:47 PM
I bought a Black Sabbath greatest hits album back when I was in high school. I'd never heard of Dio, but I wanted to check out Black Sabbath because I was getting into Ozzy's solo music at the time. But this collection had some Heaven & Hell, Mob Rules, and even Born Again tracks on it. The first time I even heard Dio was when "Heaven & Hell" came on. I was just floored. I was like, "Who the fuck is this singing!?" Since I was just expecting Ozzy... I've been a fan of Dio ever since.

I'm really glad I had the chance to meet him in 2004. My buddy and I only got to talk to him briefly but he was very friendly and chatty and signed a whole bunch of shit. It was just a great time.

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg126/EvilCheeseWedge/jimanddio.jpg

ChildrenofSodom
05-16-2010, 07:14 PM
I loved Hear N Aid and Dio's part in Butterfly Ball. As well as his charity to end child prostitution.

Also, his part in Tenacious D: Pick of Destiny.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
05-16-2010, 07:29 PM
Ritchie Blackmore's Rainbow
Long Live Rock n Roll
Rising
Heaven and Hell
Mob Rules
Live Evil
Holy Diver
The Last in Line
Sacred Heart
Dream Evil

etc, etc.

He was my first metal concert. November 18th, 1984.

Seeing him with Sabbath in '93.

He may be gone, but we still have his music.

Maiden33
05-16-2010, 07:33 PM
Well naturally I gotta mention the one and only time I was able to see him live, which was with Sabbath (H&H) from the lawn in August 2008. Damn shame I couldn't have been closer, but that's just the way it goes. And it was honestly one of only two shows I've ever seen from the soundboard or further back that I actually legitimately enjoyed. Ronnie's voice was great up until the end, and given what guys 20 years younger than him sound and perform like, you would've never guessed his age.

But in addition to that I have a few Dio-related memories.

My band covered Holy Diver and Heaven and Hell live, though only about half of H&H within one of our own songs at the end of our shows - they were among the funnest and most powerful moments we ever had on stage. Dio's legacy is fortunately one that includes many, many "hits" that not only don't suck, but actually ARE classics - worth that title.
I have the countless hours spent watching his DVDs and listening to his albums - even though I'm not a singer I tried to emulate Dio when I sang, even just for fun. I spent hours listening to his lyrics, singing his songs, learning every little nuance. The influence Dio had on metal vocally and lyrically is almost impossible to comprehend. Not to mention his spirit. No one came close to matching Dio's pure undaunted spirit and charisma - he was the most amazing grandfather that every metal fan never had - but in a sense, we did have him. We all did.

EvilCheeseWedge
05-16-2010, 07:40 PM
he was the most amazing grandfather that every metal fan never had - but in a sense, we did have him. We all did.

:rocker:

b_halperin
05-16-2010, 07:42 PM
love dio in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxETdK69xn0 :D

TonyD
05-16-2010, 08:06 PM
lolololololol

IrritatedTrout
05-16-2010, 10:18 PM
One of my best Dio memories is how his lyrics offended my mom back when I was in high school.:lol: I was probably about 15 at the time and we went to the mall to do some shopping. I was looking around FYE and I convinced her to buy me a copy of Holy Diver. After the mall we drove around town doing some more errands. While we drove she let me put Holy Diver on even though she hates metal. We got through the first few songs and she didn't seem to hate it too much. Then came Don't Talk to Strangers. Now, you're probably thinking "what the hell is offensive about that one?". Well, nothing but my mom is a pretty "religious" woman and so she was not a fan of the line "Don't go to heaven cause it's really only hell". She made me turn the CD player off after that. :lol:

Another great memory is touching horns with Dio during Mob Rules last August at the H&H show in Baltimore. Talk about one freakin hell of a way to start a show. Another great thing that night was having Dio stand right in front of me during the red light and smoke machine part of the extended version of Heaven and Hell. He was snarling and holding up the horns and he looked absolutely terrifying. He was a master of his craft and it was always such a treat to see him perform. My biggest regret is that I never got to see him solo. But oh well, I feel very blessed to have seen him the 3 times I did. Those were magical nights.

The Green and Black
05-17-2010, 06:28 AM
Awesome stories!! The easy access he gave for his fans to meet him and for him to spend time and chat always made him so special. Very few in the music world are like that. Hey, your stories just put smile on my face for the first time in like 6 hours:)

;)

In this very sad time, I too am finding comfort in the memories everyone is sharing. After thinking back, I had the pleasure of seeing Dio atleast 7 times.

1998 Dio (Angry Machines/Live Inferno Tour)
2000 Dio (Magica Tour)
2003 Dio (Killing the Dragon Tour w/Motorhead and Iron Maiden)
2004 Dio (Master of the Moon Tour plus complete Holy Diver played)
2007 Heaven and Hell (with Megadeth)
2007 Heaven and Hell (with Megadeth again)
2008 Heaven and Hell (Metal Masters Tour with Testament and Judas Priest)

Long Live Rock N Roll!
Long Live Ronnie James Dio!

JRA
05-17-2010, 02:16 PM
The weekend I spent with my "Asian friend" I went to the record store and one of the albums I got was "The Last In Line."

ravenheart
05-17-2010, 02:33 PM
1998 Dio (Angry Machines/Live Inferno Tour)
2000 Dio (Magica Tour)
2003 Dio (Killing the Dragon Tour w/Motorhead and Iron Maiden)
2004 Dio (Master of the Moon Tour plus complete Holy Diver played)
2007 Heaven and Hell (with Megadeth)
2007 Heaven and Hell (with Megadeth again)
2008 Heaven and Hell (Metal Masters Tour with Testament and Judas Priest)

Haha, shuffle a few years around and that's more or less exactly the same for me. 'cept I never saw him as a support band... always headliner :D

Probably the best Dio setlist I saw him do was in 2008. He was just doing a handful of solo shows while H&H had some time off, and didn't play any Sabbath songs because of H&H, so replaced them with things like 'Temple of The King', 'Sacred Heart', 'Lord of The Last Day', 'Killing The Dragon' and 'Rock And Roll Children' :D

That said, I also saw him on a mini promo tour for 'Master of The Moon' in 2004 before the album came out, when he busted out 'King of Rock And Roll', 'Gates of Babylon' and 'Stargazer'...

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
05-17-2010, 03:30 PM
I saw him 8 times since 1984.

'84 The Last in Line tour
'86 Texxas Jam (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Texxas_Jam), Intermission tour
'87 Dream Evil tour
'93 Dehumanizer tour with Black Sabbath
'98 Opening for Maiden
'00 Magica tour
'03 Again opening for Maiden
'07 with Heaven & Hell

Would have been 9. I had a ticket to the Sacred Heart show, but I got grounded and couldn't go. Lol.

The Green and Black
05-17-2010, 04:52 PM
Haha, shuffle a few years around and that's more or less exactly the same for me. 'cept I never saw him as a support band... always headliner :D

Yes! I saw that in the other thread! Quite similar indeed! ;)

Probably the best Dio setlist I saw him do was in 2008. He was just doing a handful of solo shows while H&H had some time off, and didn't play any Sabbath songs because of H&H, so replaced them with things like 'Temple of The King', 'Sacred Heart', 'Lord of The Last Day', 'Killing The Dragon' and 'Rock And Roll Children' :D

That said, I also saw him on a mini promo tour for 'Master of The Moon' in 2004 before the album came out, when he busted out 'King of Rock And Roll', 'Gates of Babylon' and 'Stargazer'...

That totally rules. But I still saw Magica. :D
I wish I could remember some of the setlists/obscure songs from the years I saw him live, maybe it will come to me.

JuuKun
05-17-2010, 05:09 PM
When I was first getting into Metal, Ozzy Sabbath was the only Sabbath I listened to. I don't remember where along the road I was exposed to Dio Sabbath, but I never turned back. For as long as I've known his material, Dio has been my favorite of the Sabbath vocalists, which is why my fondest (and only) live Dio memory is of seeing him with Heaven and Hell (the only live incarnation of Sabbath that I've seen), with Alice Cooper and Queensryche opening.

The Massachusetts date was at the end of Locobazooka, which was a local festival (I believe it's relocated since). Tons of bands played throughout the day, and many were awful, though I remember Meliah Rage also putting on a good show that day. There were three or four stages set up in the parking lot area of the venue, but all three acts on the H&H bill were set to play the amphitheater stage, and as the only acts to play the stage it almost felt like it was a separate show together.

It was a surreal experience. I'm wearing my shirt from that show today, actually. I never thought I would get to see Dio front Black Sabbath live, and getting to witness it first hand was amazing. I admit, I feel foolish for the many times I've passed them up - I believe there was a local date for every North American tour they did. But atleast I got to see him the once, to hear some of my favorite Sabbath songs performed almost flawlessly by a top-notch act and phenomenal vocalist.

Dextrimental
05-17-2010, 05:30 PM
I only have one, seeing him with heaven and hell last year. But man it was a great performance, and seeing so much heavy metal talent on one stage was breath-taking.. and his speech before falling off the edge of the world was truly heart-warming..

'The world still isn't a great place, but we have you, we have us, and we have the music'

Made me feel like I belonged to something, and thats a big thing for me, and for that I will always love him.

Thank you Dio, for who you are, and the great memories and moments you gave to all of us.

Derelict
05-17-2010, 06:14 PM
For anyone who has Sirius, Scott Ferrall on H101 is replaying an interview with Dio from 2009 for the next hour. Show replays on the same channel tomorrow morning. Pretty cool so far

PowerMaiden
05-18-2010, 05:47 PM
The Sacred Heart show in the old Montreal forum back in '85 , my 2 nd show ever after World Slavery a year before. that was a amazing show ... a huge production , the stage & gimmicks were really big, Dio was almost has huge as Maiden in terms of popularity in those days here in Montreal... what a show ...

... course Ronnie and the boys were on fire !

Cheers Ronnie ! Thanks You - R.I.P.
PowerMaiden

Sanitarium78
05-18-2010, 06:19 PM
The Sacred Heart show in the old Montreal forum back in '85 , my 2 nd show ever after World Slavery a year before. that was a amazing show ... a huge production , the stage & gimmicks were really big, Dio was almost has huge as Maiden in terms of popularity in those days here in Montreal... what a show ...

... course Ronnie and the boys were on fire !

Cheers Ronnie ! Thanks You - R.I.P.
PowerMaiden

I'm not sure how much the Sacred Heart DVD does this show justice but this is always a tour I wished I was old enough to have seen. I hear nothing but praise for the show they did at this time.

ImmortalEmperor
05-18-2010, 09:22 PM
I was fortunate enough to see him six times over the years:

12/28/1984 - Tucson, AZ - Dio/Dokken (Last in Line Tour)
11/24/1985 - Tucson, AZ - Dio/Rough Cutt (Sacred Heart Tour)
07/23/1986 - Phoenix, AZ - Dio/Accept (Intermission Tour)
08/03/1998 - San Diego, CA - Iron Maiden/Dio
03/11/2007 - Vancouver, BC - H&H/Megadeth/Down (1st H&H live show?)
08/28/2008 - Phoenix, AZ - Metal Masters

25 years on, the Last in Line show is still right up there in my all time top 5.

Rest in Peace Ronnie. Thanks for all of the great music & memories!

EvilCheeseWedge
05-20-2010, 07:29 AM
I uploaded a recording I made during Dio's 2004 tour of "Gates of Babylon" if you want to take a listen. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cLbcqRYHcFg)

PlaysWithKnives
05-23-2010, 06:34 PM
This is a great thread. Besides the thousands of hours I've spent listening to his music the last 20 years, I saw Dio twice back in the 90s and in 07 with H&H. I was up close to the stage all 3 times. At 60 some years old he had so much power in his voice and energy. He just owned the stage he was playing on. My best memory though was meeting him at a meet and greet the day of a show. I had nothing for him to sign. I just wanted to meet him.He asked me my name and I just shook his hand and said it was great to meet him and how great he was. He said "thanks for the kind words. I appreciated it. Have a good day". He will be missed. RIP Ronnie James Dio