PDA

View Full Version : Dio 1942-2010 R.I.P.

BloodoftheKings
05-16-2010, 12:33 PM
It's for real this time :bouville:

Wendy Dio, wife/manager of legendary heavy metal singer Ronnie James Dio (DIO, HEAVEN & HELL, BLACK SABBATH, RAINBOW), has released the following statement to BLABBERMOUTH.NET:

"Today my heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45 a.m. [on Sunday] 16th May. Many, many friends and family were able to say their private goodbyes before he peacefully passed away.

"Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all.

"We so appreciate the love and support that you have all given us.

"Please give us a few days of privacy to deal with this terrible loss.

"Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever."

It was only a month ago that Dio, 67, spoke about his battle with cancer with the Artisan News Service on the "black carpet" of the Revolver Golden Gods Awards, which took place on April 8 at Club Nokia in downtown Los Angeles. When asked about how he had been feeling since he was diagnosed with the disease late last year, Dio said, "Well, I feel good and bad at times. It's a long process. Chemotherapy is a... I never realized what a difficult thing it was to go through. It's a real cumulative effect — the more you have, the more it piles up on top and it takes longer and longer to get over it. I find it very difficult to eat. I don't like to eat anyway, so I guess that's OK. But I know I have to. But this makes it very, very hard. But if you're determined to beat it, then you have to go with what you believe is going to beat it for you, and in this case it's that. I go to a great hospital in Houston called M.D. Anderson, which I think is the best hospital in the world, I have the best doctor in the world, Dr. Ajani, who I really trust and I really believe in, so I think I've done all the right things. It makes me feel positive about my life and positive that there is a lot more of it to live."

Earlier this month, HEAVEN & HELL canceled its summer tour plans in Europe due to Dio's treatment for stomach cancer. The band said in a statement that Dio wasn't "well enough to tour this summer. We hope that everyone understands and want to thank fans and industry colleagues for their continuing support at this time."

Ronnie James Dio had performed with ELF, RAINBOW, BLACK SABBATH, and his own band DIO. Other musical projects included the collective fundraiser "Hear 'n Aid". He is widely hailed as one of the most powerful singers in heavy metal, renowned for his consistently powerful voice and for popularizing the "devil's horns" hand gesture in metal culture. He was most recently involved with HEAVEN & HELL, a project which also included former BLACK SABBATH bandmates Tony Iommi, Geezer Butler and Vinny Appice. Their first and only studio album, "The Devil You Know", was released on April 28, 2009.

Maiden33
05-16-2010, 12:56 PM
:(

There's just nothing I can say that accurately sums it up - this is unreal. The greatest loss metal has ever and will ever experience, period.

The worst part about all of this is that Dio may have been almost 68, but he was still active! He was making a new album, he was gonna tour again - it's really amazing to think about that fact. He had stuff left to accomplish. That in mind, it's not fair. It's not fair that the world is full of talentless morons who will never accomplish one one-millionth of what Ronnie has, but he still had music left to make - and he's gone.

I think I'm going to dedicate a full hour of my radio show to Ronnie tomorrow night - it's not much, but it's the best thing I can do with what I'm given.

elturtleboy
05-16-2010, 01:06 PM
RIP you fuckin legend:bawling:
A fuckin' Legend,hero,and one the best vocals in music history
always in our hearts will u live on,and thank you for great music,hope,and the horns.
RIP Ronnie James Dio:rocker::rockdevil::metal::horns:

Symbolic
05-16-2010, 01:07 PM
Cannot belive it
this is far too sad.... its one of those things you never imagined would every happen, but thats life.

R.I.P Dio

may he live forever through his music and voice

SomewhereInTime72
05-16-2010, 01:08 PM

There's just nothing I can say that accurately sums it up - this is unreal. The greatest loss metal has ever and will ever experience, period.

The worst part about all of this is that Dio may have been almost 68, but he was still active! He was making a new album, he was gonna tour again - it's really amazing to think about that fact. He had stuff left to accomplish. That in mind, it's not fair. It's not fair that the world is full of talentless morons who will never accomplish one one-millionth of what Ronnie has, but he still had music left to make - and he's gone.

Couldn't have said it better myself. :(

makethemsuffer12
05-16-2010, 01:16 PM
Today marks possibly the saddest day in the history of heavy metal.

R.I.P. Ronald James Padavona

It should've been Sharon...

ChildrenofSodom
05-16-2010, 01:17 PM
My favorite metal vocalist of all time. This is terrible news, but I hope he knew how much he will be missed.

Derelict
05-16-2010, 01:19 PM
If you are able, try to make a donation to cancer research in his memory today

RIP

JRA
05-16-2010, 01:26 PM
Only one year away from being 69. :money:

PowerMaiden
05-16-2010, 01:28 PM
thank you for all those years and those 8 amazing concerts

6 sep. 85 Forum De Montréal Dio Sacred Heart World Tour Rought Cutt

08-janv-88 Forum De Montréal Dio Dream Evil World Tour Megadeth So Far…So Good…So What Savatage

15-aout-90 Forum De Montréal Dio Lock Up The Wolves World Tour Yngwie J. Malmsteen

04-juil-98 Stade DuMaurier De Montréal Iron Maiden Virtual 11 World Tour Dio Inferno Dirty Deeds

05-juil-02 Medley de Montréal Dio Killing The Dragon Tour Voivod

30-juil-03 Madison Square Garden de New York Iron Maiden Give Me 'Ed … …'Til I'm Dead Tour Dio Killing The Dragon Tour Motörhead Hammered Tour

01-août-03 Colisée Pepsi de Québec Iron Maiden Give Me 'Ed … …'Til I'm Dead Tour Dio Killing The Dragon Tour Motörhead Hammered Tour

02-août-03 Centre Bell de Montréal Iron Maiden Give Me 'Ed … …'Til I'm Dead Tour Dio Killing The Dragon Tour Motörhead Hammered Tour

Rest In Peace Ronnie

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Sanitarium78
05-16-2010, 01:33 PM
:bawling::bawling:

The world of metal has lost a true legend today. That word gets tossed around lightly sometimes but Ronnie James Dio is the very deffinition of the word 'legend'. I don't give a fuck what anyone says there has never been this big of a loss in the metal community EVER. Ronnie was one of the greatest ambassadors for hard rock and heavy metal. He embodied everything that the genre stood for. I am completely devestated by this loss but tonight I will play his music and salute him:realchug:

R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio our metal brother. I know you'll show the afterlife how to rock:rocker:

mankvill
05-16-2010, 01:33 PM
Worst loss for metal ever. Universally loved and respected by every member of the metal community, be it fans or band members. Embodiment of the words "heavy metal" and one of the greatest vocalist rock and roll has ever known.

RIP

DethMaiden
05-16-2010, 01:35 PM
Was just talking about how good he sounded at those Heaven and Hell shows last night. RIP Ronnie. :light: :( :(

Citatet
05-16-2010, 01:41 PM
This turned out to be a very sad weekend :-(

However. It´s truly amazing that he could do what he loved to do until the very end. Really hope it was painless.

Please send your thought to Wendy and the rest of the Dio-family. We may have a lost a legend today, but they have lost a family member.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
05-16-2010, 02:00 PM
One of my all-time favorites and the reason I'm a metal fan today.

The Last in Line was the first album I owned. Bought it the day it came out, Summer of '84. Also my first metal concert, November of '84.

Saw him 6 times with Dio, once with Sabbath and once with H&H.

RIP Ronnie.

rjturtle9
05-16-2010, 02:03 PM
So the tears I cried last night didn't go to waste.

RIP Dio. At least I got to see you grace the stage twice before you went.

makethemsuffer12
05-16-2010, 02:05 PM
I was still waiting for that next Dio solo tour :(. Though I did see Heaven and Hell once in 2007, one of the greatest performances I've ever seen.

Travis The Dragon
05-16-2010, 02:06 PM
Today marks possibly the saddest day in the history of heavy metal.

R.I.P. Ronald James Padavona

It should've been Sharon...

I'm very sad about it as well, but the saddest day for me will be when Bruce Dickinson checks out.

RIP Dio!!! Your legend will live on FOREVER!!! :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker: :rocker:

Axis_Of_Metal
05-16-2010, 02:16 PM
Truely sad and is now my biggest regret never getting a chance to see him live. TRUELY sad and dark day in metal. HORNS UP EVERYONE

JuuKun
05-16-2010, 02:19 PM
Will be raising the horns in Dio's honor at the DT show tonight.

Legends never truly die.
R.I.P.

maidenpriest
05-16-2010, 02:22 PM
RIP Ronnie James Dio. :'( your legend will live on. Sucks that I never got to see you perform live. :(

ravenheart
05-16-2010, 02:39 PM
Unbelievable. Firstly, that he's gone. I really thought he'd make it because of how confident they were that they'd caught it early enough.

But secondly that there's any kind of debate over anything going on in this thread. At all.

Seriously, shut the fuck up.

Glad I got to see Ronnie a total of seven times live in three countries. Four with Dio, three with H&H.

2002/10/16 Dio - Astoria, London, England
2004/08/14 Dio - Astoria, London, England
2005/10/22 Dio - Astoria, London, England
2007/06/07 Heaven & Hell - Sweden Rock Festival, Solvesborg, Sweden
2007/11/10 Heaven & Hell - Wembley Arena, London, England
2008/05/28 Dio - Astoria, London, England
2009/06/27 Heaven & Hell - Stadio Brianteo, Monza, Italy

Many of his CDs are still amongst my favourite albums of all time, and his was the first metal voice I heard that I truly liked and prompted my maturing, so to speak, from rock to metal. That was the 'Lock Up The Wolves' album; title track.

Now playing:

Lock Up The Wolves
Lock Up The Wolves
Dio

:rocker:

Indestructible
05-16-2010, 02:44 PM
Sing me a song, you're a singer
Do me a wrong, you're a bringer of evil
The Devil is never a maker
The less that you give, you're a taker
So it's on and on and on
...it's Heaven and Hell, oh well

Crionics
05-16-2010, 02:51 PM
This truly sucks..I never got to see this living legend...Ronnie James Dio..please Rest In Peace...:horns:

evildeadjedi
05-16-2010, 02:52 PM
I'm listening to Dio radio on Last.fm and looking for my DVD where I backed up Heaven and Hell, Mob rules, Holy Diver, The Last in Line, Banned Heart, Intermission, and Dream Evil in FLAC format.

If I can't find it then I will have to have to find them in my cd collection.

RIP RJD thanks for the contributions you have made to the music I love, you will be missed. :rocker::horns::light:

mastodon421
05-16-2010, 02:56 PM
R.I.P Dio. This is such an awful loss for the metal community. Dio was a pioneer and one of the finest vocalists ever. He will be be sorely missed.

ravenheart
05-16-2010, 02:56 PM
Last year I was lucky enough to have a photo pit pass for the Gods of Metal fesival, the first day of which was headlined by Heaven & Hell.

Only allowed in there for three songs, but I got to see them play my all-time favourite Black Sabbath song, 'I' from a matter of feet away.

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/wp-content/uploads/heavenandhell270609-07.jpg

Fucking magic.

DethMaiden
05-16-2010, 02:57 PM
Just stop cause you are going to piss people off. This topic is strictly about how great Dio was and still is. Start a debate in the general chat thread if you must but not in here and not today.

:agree: Best post ever from this guy. Kudos.

Sanitarium78
05-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Just stop cause you are going to piss people off. This topic is strictly about how great Dio was and still is. Start a debate in the general chat thread if you must but not in here and not today.

Exactly. Like I said on a previous post don't piss people off more who are already pissed about this. Everyone is still processing this, so let's just keep this thread about our feeling's on this loss and nothing more.

ravenheart
05-16-2010, 02:59 PM
These people going "shut the fuck up" to me are so immature.

Not at all. The people telling you (and anyone else entering into the same debate, it's not just you) to shut the fuck up over this in a thread celebrating the life of someone who just died are 100% in the right.

It's not about being easily offended, it's about respect, and by even making your first post just to point out you don't agree with something someone said about Dio, regardless of whether you tried to make sure you didn't directly offend the man, shows a complete lack of respect for the thread, the people posting in it, and to an extent Dio. It doesn't matter if you're right or not (I don't think you are, personally), you should have just let it be entirely.

Sanitarium78
05-16-2010, 03:06 PM
:agree: Best post ever from this guy. Kudos.

Yeah it looks like he's growing up a bit now:D

I'm in a tough spot right now I wanna listen to Dio to honor him but if I do I know i'm gonna lose it uncontrolably.

moobys37
05-16-2010, 03:08 PM
For me, this is worse than Peter's death. I only got to see Dio once at the Metal Masters tour and it was one of the best shows I have ever been too.

Last year I was lucky enough to have a photo pit pass for the Gods of Metal fesival, the first day of which was headlined by Heaven & Hell.

Only allowed in there for three songs, but I got to see them play my all-time favourite Black Sabbath song, 'I' from a matter of feet away.

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/wp-content/uploads/heavenandhell270609-07.jpg

Fucking magic.

That's an awesome picture :rocker:

rjturtle9
05-16-2010, 03:08 PM
I'm in a tough spot right now I wanna listen to Dio to honor him but if I do I know i'm gonna lose it uncontrolably.

Just do it man. Let the tears out.

Indestructible
05-16-2010, 03:12 PM
I love the night So many shadows
Unholy light
Putting out the spark
Leave 'em in the dark - forever

Indestructible
05-16-2010, 03:14 PM
Sucks now we wont be able to hear Magica 2 and 3.

TonyD
05-16-2010, 03:18 PM
Gone but never forgotten.

Sanitarium78
05-16-2010, 03:20 PM
Just do it man. Let the tears out.

Yeah I may as well. I've almost broke down a few times now but stopped my self before it got too bad. Fuck it, it's time to let the tears flow.

IrritatedTrout
05-16-2010, 03:50 PM
This is horrible news. Dio was one of the greatest voices in rock and seemed to be one of the nicest guys in the world as well. I was never fortunate enough to meet Ronnie but I did get to interact with him at the Baltimore H&H show last summer. He ran onto the stage at the beginning of Mob Rules and ran straight towards me and extended his horns to touch mine. He then proceeded to do the same with all of his other fans in the front row. That combined with watching him perform from only a few feet away all night will always stick with me. I'm so thankful I got to see him perform 3 times, once from dead center on the rail. He was magic on the stage and I'll never forget him.

5/18/07 - Columbia, MD - Merriweather Post Pavilion
8/7/08 - Bristow, VA - Nissan Pavilion
8/23/09 - Columbia, MD - Merriweather Post Pavilion

Great memories.:light: He'll live forever through the music.

IrritatedTrout
05-16-2010, 03:52 PM

Go ahead and do it. I cried while listening to his music last night when we thought he had passed, there's no shame in it. He meant a lot to a lot of people.

Crionics
05-16-2010, 04:18 PM
This is horrible news. Dio was one of the greatest voices in rock and seemed to be one of the nicest guys in the world as well. I was never fortunate enough to meet Ronnie but I did get to interact with him at the Baltimore H&H show last summer. He ran onto the stage at the beginning of Mob Rules and ran straight towards me and extended his horns to touch mine. He then proceeded to do the same with all of his other fans in the front row. That combined with watching him perform from only a few feet away all night will always stick with me. I'm so thankful I got to see him perform 3 times, once from dead center on the rail. He was magic on the stage and I'll never forget him.

5/18/07 - Columbia, MD - Merriweather Post Pavilion
8/7/08 - Bristow, VA - Nissan Pavilion
8/23/09 - Columbia, MD - Merriweather Post Pavilion

Great memories.:light: He'll live forever through the music.

I wanted to go to this show but couldn't..really beatin myself up for it right now..

Bloodcurse
05-16-2010, 04:45 PM
Paying tribute to Dio on my radio show tonight at 8pm (eastern time).

www.brutalexistenceradio.com

ravenheart
05-16-2010, 05:01 PM
Jukebox:Metal will be closed for the next few days, replaced with: http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/

Collected tributes so far: http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2010/ronnie-james-dio-dies/

Fe Maiden
05-16-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm so sad I'm at a loss for words! RIP RJD and thank you for giving me so many great songs to listen to!

The Green and Black
05-16-2010, 05:31 PM
I don't have a whole lot to say right now. I'm still in shock, and can't accept this. This is without a doubt the biggest blow to metal ever, so many generations are feeling the loss. I can't believe Dio is gone. I have not been able to bring myself to play his music or watch any video footage yet today, I am too emotional about all this already, but before the night is over, as hard as it will be for me right now, I'll need to pay tribute. I am beyond devastated by this.

Sanitarium78
05-16-2010, 05:37 PM
I don't have a whole lot to say right now. I'm still in shock, and can't accept this. This is without a doubt the biggest blow to metal ever, so many generations are feeling the loss. I can't believe Dio is gone. I have not been able to bring myself to play his music or watch any video footage yet today, I am too emotional about all this already, but before the night is over, as hard as it will be for me right now, I'll need to pay tribute. I am beyond devastated by this.

I broke down a few times myself already. It seems certian songs are affecting my more than others. I was worried about crying too much before as well if I listened to anything from him. But then a few people here said 'just let it go' and I did. Fuck it if anyone notices or cares if you cry. My brother was in the room with me when I was listening to Rainbow In The Dark and I completely broke down. He didn't even say a word he's a Dio fan as well and he understood completely.

Fe Maiden
05-16-2010, 05:49 PM
I don't have a whole lot to say right now. I'm still in shock, and can't accept this. This is without a doubt the biggest blow to metal ever, so many generations are feeling the loss. I can't believe Dio is gone. I have not been able to bring myself to play his music or watch any video footage yet today, I am too emotional about all this already, but before the night is over, as hard as it will be for me right now, I'll need to pay tribute. I am beyond devastated by this.I broke down a few times today already! Damn, I keep seeing and hearing him in my mind singing Falling Off The Edge Of The World and I just lose it! If I listen to Stargazer the flood gates are gonna bust wide open!

jerry1013
05-16-2010, 06:22 PM
KISS released this message today....

"We mourn the tragic passing of the great Ronnie James Dio. In addition to his powerhouse vocal ability, Ronnie was a true gentleman who always emanated great warmth and friendship to us and everyone around him. We will miss him."

daimonos
05-16-2010, 06:23 PM
KISS released this message today....

"We mourn the tragic passing of the great Ronnie James Dio. In addition to his powerhouse vocal ability, Ronnie was a true gentleman who always emanated great warmth and friendship to us and everyone around him. We will miss him."

I wonder who Gene Simmons paid to write that :lol:

jerry1013
05-16-2010, 06:26 PM
I wonder who Gene Simmons paid to write that :lol:

Gonna take a wild guess and say it was Paul who said that......anyway R.I.P Ronnie.

daimonos
05-16-2010, 06:28 PM
Gonna take a wild guess and say it was Paul who said that......anyway R.I.P Ronnie.

Yeah I'm just jokin around.

Dio actually made fun of Gene Simmons quite often.

I remember in Metal: A Headbangers Journey he said:

"(Speaking about the devil horns) Gene Simmons will try to tell you that he invented it, but then again Gene invented shoes...and breathing..."

He said something else about him later in the movie, but I don't remember it exactly.

makethemsuffer12
05-16-2010, 06:30 PM

"(Speaking about the devil horns) Gene Simmons will try to tell you that he invented it, but then again Gene invented shoes...and breathing..."

He said something else about him later in the movie, but I don't remember it exactly.

Yea he said that Gene tried to trademark OJ, as in orange juice, not OJ Simpson.

daimonos
05-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Yea he said that Gene tried to trademark OJ, as in orange juice, not OJ Simpson.

Yeah that's right. He enhanced that movie a good bit, I think, not just because of his jokes, though.

Blackened12
05-16-2010, 06:51 PM
It really is very hard to put this into words. The only thing that could make this worse is the fact I never had the chance to see this wonderful man and performer live. But I know somewhere in Heaven he's rockin' out with God.
RIP Ronnie James Dio. You will be missed by anyone and everyone who's ever had the pleasure of hearing your amazing music.

Div
05-16-2010, 06:52 PM
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Bloodcurse
05-16-2010, 07:10 PM
"This is Your Life"
(Angry Machines album)

Who cares what came before? We were only starlight
...one day, then nevermore because we're whispers in the wind
Once upon a time the world was never blind like we are

Right now it seems you're only dreams and shadows
If wishes could be eagles, how you'd fly?

This is your life, this is your time
What if the flame won't last forever?
This is your here, this is your now
Let it be magical...

Who cares what came before? We're only starlight
Once upon the time all the world was blind like we are

Look at your world, this is your life...

Sanitarium78
05-16-2010, 07:19 PM
"This is Your Life"
(Angry Machines album)

Who cares what came before? We were only starlight
...one day, then nevermore because we're whispers in the wind
Once upon a time the world was never blind like we are

Right now it seems you're only dreams and shadows
If wishes could be eagles, how you'd fly?

What if the flame won't last forever?
This is your here, this is your now
Let it be magical...

Who cares what came before? We're only starlight
Once upon the time all the world was blind like we are

Look at your world, this is your life...

It really fits the ocassion. I've avoided listening to this song so far maybe i'll close out the night with it. That would be very fitting.

EvilCheeseWedge
05-16-2010, 07:36 PM
This sucks. Dio was a legend. Seeing his solo band in 2004 is still one of the best concert memories I have. And meeting him was just plain epic. I'm also glad I was able to catch Heaven & Hell when I did. R.I.P. buddy :(

EvilCheeseWedge
05-16-2010, 07:39 PM
Also, if people want to troll this thread they can fuck off. This is Metal Setlists and Dio was fucking metal. Talking shit in this thread is like going to his funeral to talk shit, it's just rude, in bad taste, and completely unnecessary. Consider that a friendly warning.

mankvill
05-16-2010, 09:26 PM
Just got back from the Mastodon show. They only played Dio and Dio-Era Sabbath over the PA in between bands. Lots of "FUCKING DIOOO!!!" and "I LOVE YOU RJD!!!" and a couple of DIO! chants, even right before Mastodon came on!

:light:

es156
05-16-2010, 09:27 PM
Rest in peace, RJD.

es156
05-16-2010, 09:40 PM
I think the song Blood Brothers by Iron Maiden would be appropriate right about now.

EvilCheeseWedge
05-16-2010, 09:44 PM
I think the song Blood Brothers by Iron Maiden would be appropriate right about now.

:light:

MPF
05-16-2010, 10:03 PM
In a way I'm glad I missed this announcement this time.

I did my grieving on here last night. Probably way too emotional then I should have been. Now all I wanna do is Celebrate Dio's life and career.

R.I.P Dio: May you be fighting Demons and Dragons in Heaven...and Jamming out with the best musicians Heaven has to offer!

WOLVERINEKILLS
05-17-2010, 01:29 AM
Join the R.I.P. Ronnie James Dio Your Music Shall Slay Dragons Forever group: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/group.php?gid=103947539651354&v=wall

A group I made for all of my facebook friends. I hope my friends and fans of Dio here will join!!!

davidis138
05-17-2010, 02:30 AM
R.I.P a true legend :allan:

ravenheart
05-17-2010, 05:46 AM
Updated tributes: http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2010/ronnie-james-dio-dies/

Now includes David Ellefson, Queensryche, Testament and a few others.

Nick_to_the_face
05-17-2010, 05:58 AM
Man......went from dead, to not, dead, to dead again...this is to much to handle for first period :bawling:......I remember the first time my dad played me the Holy Diver Record....it was fucking magical...

:light::light: R.I.P Ronnie James Dio :light: :light:

ravenheart
05-17-2010, 07:45 AM
Updated again: http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2010/ronnie-james-dio-dies/

New comments from Nikki Sixx, Tony Iommi, Gary Holt, Picture, Obituary, Wolf, Warmachine, Chris Jericho, SPV Music, Nightmare, Thanatos, Hail of Bullets, Bobby Rondinelli, Brian Tichy and a few more.

The Green and Black
05-17-2010, 08:39 AM
Updated again: http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2010/ronnie-james-dio-dies/

New comments from Nikki Sixx, Tony Iommi, Gary Holt, Picture, Obituary, Wolf, Warmachine, Chris Jericho, SPV Music, Nightmare, Thanatos, Hail of Bullets, Bobby Rondinelli, Brian Tichy and a few more.

Thanks for the update, love reading these. Still hoping for comment somewhere from Dave Meniketti.

Crionics
05-17-2010, 10:45 AM
Good to see this stickied!

ravenheart
05-17-2010, 10:48 AM
More updates: http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2010/ronnie-james-dio-dies/

New tributes from Iron Maiden, Brian May, Skid Row, Arch Enemy, John Perez (Solitude Aeturnus) and Mikael Akerfeldt.

Crionics
05-17-2010, 10:53 AM

New tributes from Iron Maiden, Brian May, Skid Row, Arch Enemy, John Perez (Solitude Aeturnus) and Mikael Akerfeldt.

Wow the Iron Maiden one is great..Brian May's is amazing too..

DethMaiden
05-17-2010, 11:00 AM
Some great tributes. Personally I can't wait to read what Geezer has to say when he makes a statement. He's always very eloquent.

ravenheart
05-17-2010, 11:12 AM
All he did last night was post a photo of Ronnie. Which was fair enough.

His website is down right now.

Indestructible
05-17-2010, 12:30 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=li0et0Tq7sE

daimonos
05-17-2010, 12:51 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgiqT5-xxsg&feature=related

evildeadjedi
05-17-2010, 01:13 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmU7FshBwgg&feature=related

ravenheart
05-17-2010, 01:31 PM
More comments: http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2010/ronnie-james-dio-dies/

This time from Joe Lynn Turner and Greg Smith (Over The Rainbow), Girlschool, Doug Aldrich, Doogie White, Nige Rockett (Onslaught), Mats Leven (Therion) and Graham Bonnett.

As they keep coming, I'll keep updating.

ravenheart
05-17-2010, 01:51 PM
HammerFall, Tobias Sammet and King Diamond

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2010/ronnie-james-dio-dies/

makethemsuffer12
05-17-2010, 02:14 PM
It's so wierd. I can't even wrap my head around the fact that he really is gone...

daimonos
05-17-2010, 02:26 PM
It's so wierd. I can't even wrap my head around the fact that he really is gone...

Me neither man. When I read he had cancer a long time ago, my first thoughts were "He's definitely going to beat this, I just can't imagine him being gone." This whole time I just kind of expected him to win the battle, and in all the interviews he seemed really, really optimistic about it.

This is one of the biggest blows the Metal Community has ever suffered.

makethemsuffer12
05-17-2010, 02:45 PM
Me neither man. When I read he had cancer a long time ago, my first thoughts were "He's definitely going to beat this, I just can't imagine him being gone." This whole time I just kind of expected him to win the battle, and in all the interviews he seemed really, really optimistic about it.
This is one of the biggest blows the Metal Community has ever suffered.

This is what made it such a bigger blow, I feel. They (as in Ronnie and Wendy) were so determined and hopeful to get past this, to "slay the dragon", so to say. Him actually dying from this was the last thought on my mind. So unfortunate how my childish hopes and dreams distorted the fact that we were dealing with a 67 year old man with stomach cancer, a cancer with a death rate only behind that of lung cancer's. Though in my mind and heart, he is, and will always remain to be a god.

But anyway, this is probably the only time I've seen Ronnie legitimately pissed off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOwZBo8FQvo

The Green and Black
05-17-2010, 06:02 PM

This!

This is what made it such a bigger blow, I feel. They (as in Ronnie and Wendy) were so determined and hopeful to get past this, to "slay the dragon", so to say. Him actually dying from this was the last thought on my mind. So unfortunate how my childish hopes and dreams distorted the fact that we were dealing with a 67 year old man with stomach cancer, a cancer with a death rate only behind that of lung cancer's. Though in my mind and heart, he is, and will always remain to be a god.

And This!

Are exactly what I'm struggling with right now. I still can't believe he is gone, and I'll never believe it. To me, Dio is timeless, he is immortal, he will always be the hero, the winner, the leader, the best. Part of me keeps thinking this is all a nightmare, a poor joke, a horrible misunderstanding. But in reality I know he is gone, I just can't believe it. How can we live in a world without Dio, when he has always been there?

JRA
05-17-2010, 06:08 PM
and here's the big one we've all been waiting for.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140234

Dextrimental
05-17-2010, 06:11 PM
Rest In Peace Dio.

I had the pleasure of seeing him with Heaven and Hell last year, and now that has been made infinitely more special now that he is gone to the great beyond. I have the utmost faith that hes already jammin' up there with other heroes like Criss Oliva, Dimebag and what not, makin' some kick ass heavy metal and slaying dragons like he always was down here. He was a god amongst men, and now he is an ACTUAL god amongst gods.

I believe Abba said it the best, 'Thank you for the music, for giving it to me'

Goodbye Ronnie, physical presence is gone but you will NEVER be forgotten.

daimonos
05-17-2010, 06:20 PM

But anyway, this is probably the only time I've seen Ronnie legitimately pissed off:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOwZBo8FQvo

Even when he was alive, it always suprised me every time someone said he was 67. He never seemed that old.

Edit: That clips hilarious.

The Green and Black
05-17-2010, 06:36 PM
Edit: That clips hilarious.

:lol: I saw this before, but still hilarious!
I wonder if Vivian Campbell has issued a statement regarding Dio's passing yet.

EvilCheeseWedge
05-17-2010, 06:52 PM
and here's the big one we've all been waiting for.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140234

That was pretty classy.

SomewhereInTime72
05-17-2010, 07:09 PM
That was pretty classy.

Ozzy may be mumbling and usually doesn't make much sense when he speaks, but I never would have thought him the type to say anything wrong in a situation like this. I'm glad that I was right. :)

davidis138
05-17-2010, 07:57 PM
Ozzy may be mumbling and usually doesn't make much sense when he speaks, but I never would have thought him the type to say anything wrong in a situation like this. I'm glad that I was right. :)

I think the best part of that statement was the "respect" part of the "love and respect" :horns:

The Green and Black
05-17-2010, 08:03 PM
Tour of Dio's home! :tongue:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgiqT5-xxsg&feature=related

Maiden33
05-17-2010, 08:22 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs544.ash1/31809_1458120970089_1145330772_1359900_2548885_n.j pg

Article from my regional newspaper on the passing of RJD. Sad, but on the other hand, glad to see him get a send off from the paper. I figured they'd snub him, like a lot of other mainstream news has.

EvilCheeseWedge
05-17-2010, 08:24 PM
They even had the story on my local TV news this evening.

IrritatedTrout
05-17-2010, 09:08 PM
There was a story about him in the obituary section of my local paper. I made sure to clip it out.

Pastulio_
05-17-2010, 09:56 PM
Does anyone know if Dio happened to have finished his autobiography before his death? I really doubt it, but that'd be something I'd love to read.

andrew_metalhead
05-17-2010, 11:39 PM
Here's Metal Assault's tribute article on Dio. I encourage ALL OF YOU to think about contributing to this as well.

http://metalassault.com/index.php

rjturtle9
05-18-2010, 12:05 AM
Here's Metal Assault's tribute article on Dio. I encourage ALL OF YOU to think about contributing to this as well.

http://metalassault.com/index.php

It was a fine read my friend. I am glad to have shared both concert experiences along with you, even though my seats were further. The point is we both got to see one of the best voices in rock and metal, something that many people will never have the chance to now.

andrew_metalhead
05-18-2010, 12:06 AM
It was a fine read my friend. I am glad to have shared both concert experiences along with you, even though my seats were further. The point is we both got to see one of the best voices in rock and metal, something that many people will never have the chance to now.

Thanks for reading. And yes absolutely .. you are right.

ravenheart
05-18-2010, 03:45 AM

Kerry King, Rudy Sarzo, Bob Daisley, Duff McKagan, Gus G., Tony Harnell and Hail!

ChildrenofSodom
05-18-2010, 05:33 AM
RJD was trending on my Yahoo news feed. Dayton Daily News had an article on its homepage, something about "Rocker sang about good, evil."

ravenheart
05-18-2010, 06:16 AM
More updates. Added comments from Lemmy, Biff Byford, Jeff Waters and Steve Vai.

The Green and Black
05-18-2010, 07:13 AM

Duff McKagan

I loved Duff's comment! While not as touching as some of the others, it's classic Duff haha

I'm listening to Eddie Trunk's show from last night to get Dave Meniketti's comments, he called in and had a lot to say.
:party:

Maiden33
05-18-2010, 08:34 AM
I love Biff Byford's comment - especially since Biff is one of the nicest "famous" musicians I've ever met.

ravenheart
05-18-2010, 09:09 AM
A couple more added: http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2010/ronnie-james-dio-dies/

Rob Rock, Jon Schaffer, John Sykes, and Therion.

Plus some longer tributes from Lars Ulrich, Matt Heafy, Joey Vera, Robb Flynn, Darrell Roberts and Icarus Witch: http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2010/stars-honour-dio/

jerry1013
05-18-2010, 02:05 PM
From the KISS concert yesterday

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWLSsF0Cklc

Indestructible
05-18-2010, 04:26 PM
Dio is one great man. To record two songs when he had cancer and when he probaly wasnt feeling in great health shows hwo much he loved the metal genre and what he did for it.

ravenheart
05-18-2010, 05:03 PM
A few more comments, some short, some long:

Jon Oliva, Dan Lorenzo, Mick Box, Vinny Appice, The Poodles: http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2010/ronnie-james-dio-dies/

Dave Meniketti, Jon Lord, Jens Johansson: http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2010/stars-honour-dio/

ravenheart
05-18-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm listening to Eddie Trunk's show from last night to get Dave Meniketti's comments, he called in and had a lot to say.

He had a lot to say in writing too...

davidis138
05-18-2010, 09:19 PM
Vinnie's comment was cool

The Green and Black
05-18-2010, 09:32 PM
A few more comments, some short, some long:
Jon Oliva
Dave Meniketti

He had a lot to say in writing too...

Glad to see so much from Meniketti! And a comment from Jon Oliva! :fist:
Has Blitz or DD released a statement yet? I have not seen? And I guess Mustaine is too full of himself to comment.

EvilCheeseWedge
05-18-2010, 09:34 PM
Geezer's statement. (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140298) Well said, as predicted earlier.

davidis138
05-18-2010, 11:00 PM
Geezer's statement. (http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140298) Well said, as predicted earlier.

Wow. Geezer Butler is amazing. :horns: Wow.

ravenheart
05-19-2010, 01:44 AM
Glad to see so much from Meniketti! And a comment from Jon Oliva! :fist:
Has Blitz or DD released a statement yet? I have not seen? And I guess Mustaine is too full of himself to comment.

Nope, nothing from Overkill yet. There are quite a few I've not seen anything from that I thought I would. Dave Grohl, Jack Black, Overkill, Simon Wright, Craig Goldy, Kerry Livgren, Benedictum etc.

Long tributes updated with Geezer's, and Dave DeFeis from Virgin Steele: http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2010/stars-honour-dio/

Shorter ones from Chris Impellitteri and My Dying Bride: http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2010/ronnie-james-dio-dies/

Citatet
05-19-2010, 03:49 AM
After a couple of days from hearing this horrible news about Dio. I think there are two thing that I´ve really learned.

First and foremost how extremely proud I am to be a metalhead. Every comment about Dio either from fans or fellow performers have been so sincere and heartfelt. It was really nice to hear Rob Halford talking on the radio and the texts from Lars Ulrich and Geezer have been truly amazing. Obviously, we metalheads, care about eachother and it is so great to see.

Second of all. If I am ever in a doubt to go see a show with a band that I like. I will go because it could really be the last time someone is playing. This especially goes for the old guys. I don´t think we ten year from now will have bands like Maiden, Slayer, Rush, Motörhead, Priest, Kiss, Megadeth, Metallica and so on.

So next time. Please don´t hesitate. Just buy a ticket and go to that show. In the long run I don´t think you will regret it.

Big Horns Up to Dio and the rest of the metalcommunity. :rocker:

The Green and Black
05-19-2010, 06:19 AM
Second of all. If I am ever in a doubt to go see a show with a band that I like. I will go because it could really be the last time someone is playing. This especially goes for the old guys.

So next time. Please don´t hesitate. Just buy a ticket and go to that show. In the long run I don´t think you will regret it.

This! :fist:

Fe Maiden
05-19-2010, 09:25 AM
Second of all. If I am ever in a doubt to go see a show with a band that I like. I will go because it could really be the last time someone is playing. This especially goes for the old guys. So true!

Sanitarium78
05-19-2010, 10:32 AM

Excellent words from Geezer as we all expected. Reading this made me cry. It shows just how quickly something can happen. Within a few days of being admitted Ronnie was gone. This very simular to what happened to my mom when she passed from cancer.

I thank Geezer for sharing that because I know it was not easy to go through or to have to write and share those thoughts with us. Geezer, you are a very classy human being, on the same level of class that Ronnie always was:fist:

ravenheart
05-19-2010, 11:25 AM
Updated with Simon Wright, Blaze Bayley, Rob Halford, Jorn Lande, Charlie Benante: http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2010/ronnie-james-dio-dies/

ravenheart
05-19-2010, 03:06 PM
Updates from Machines of Grace members Zak Stevens (Circle II Circle/ex-Savatage), Jeff Plate (TSO/ex-Savatage) and Matt Leff, plus engineer Mike Fraser and Royal Hunt.

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2010/ronnie-james-dio-dies/

EvilCheeseWedge
05-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Okay, so Cracked's Dio Tribute (http://www.cracked.com/blog/for-dio-the-only-appropriate-tribute/) is absolutely superb. It's kind of a nice break from the solemn words being said. This tribute is just completely badass. :horns:

ravenheart
05-20-2010, 01:19 PM
This tribute is just completely badass.

You spelt "fucking lame" wrong at the end there.

SomewhereInTime72
05-20-2010, 01:32 PM
Okay, so Cracked's Dio Tribute (http://www.cracked.com/blog/for-dio-the-only-appropriate-tribute/) is absolutely superb. It's kind of a nice break from the solemn words being said. This tribute is just completely badass. :horns:

Haha, this was awesome.

EvilCheeseWedge
05-20-2010, 01:36 PM
You spelt "fucking lame" wrong at the end there.
:tp:

ravenheart
05-20-2010, 01:39 PM
Meaningless bullshit is one thing. But it should at least be funny. Couldn't even manage that.

EvilCheeseWedge
05-20-2010, 01:59 PM
Meaningless bullshit is one thing. But it should at least be funny. Couldn't even manage that.

We'll agree to disagree. Let's not derail the thread.

moobys37
05-20-2010, 04:58 PM
I just noticed that itunes has Holy Diver and the Dio Years Sabbath greatest hits albums on the front page of the music section.

ravenheart
05-21-2010, 12:45 PM
One or two more tributes have surfaced:

Updated at the end with Bill Ward, Ian Gillan, Steve Morse, Carmine Appice, Accept, James Rivera and Ripper Owens: http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2010/ronnie-james-dio-dies/

And two longer ones from Steve Willams (Power Quest) and Jeff Westlake (Hydrogyn): http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2010/stars-honour-dio/

makethemsuffer12
05-21-2010, 03:10 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140446

This makes me fucking sick.

idrinkwine732
05-21-2010, 04:13 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=140446

I think Wendy's response to it was perfect, and I think it would hurt to have thousands of metalheads wanting to kill the 75 members they have.

ravenheart
05-21-2010, 05:02 PM

We've been discussing this all week... pay attention ;)

Indestructible
05-21-2010, 05:25 PM

I hate people like that to.

Dissimulate
05-21-2010, 06:24 PM
Dio can you hear me? I am lost and so alone. I'm asking for your guidance, would you come down from your throne? I need a tight compadre, who will teach me how to rock. Fred Phelps thinks your evil but man, he can suck a cock! Rock is not the devils work, it's magical and rad! RIP Dio.

makethemsuffer12
05-21-2010, 06:52 PM
Dio can you hear me? I am lost and so alone. I'm asking for your guidance, would you come down from your throne? I need a tight compadre, who will teach me how to rock. Fred Phelps thinks your evil but man, he can suck a cock! Rock is not the devils work, it's magical and rad! RIP Dio.

MetalIsArt
05-23-2010, 06:35 AM
Goodbye Man On the Silver Mountain... My "RAINBOW IN THE DARK", the best singer in the world.

RIP, and we'll meet someday...

The Green and Black
05-26-2010, 10:29 AM
Y&T performs Rainbow in the Dark at their CD Release Show 05/22/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQKs56Np61s

Sanitarium78
05-26-2010, 10:42 AM
Y&T performs Rainbow in the Dark at their CD Release Show 05/22/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQKs56Np61s

Nice Job!!

Is it selfish of me to want Ronnie to be playing a concert when it's my time to enter the afterlife? You know, kind of like a welcome to the other side sort of thing:lol:

The Green and Black
05-26-2010, 12:06 PM
Nice Job!!

Is it selfish of me to want Ronnie to be playing a concert when it's my time to enter the afterlife? You know, kind of like a welcome to the other side sort of thing:lol:

:lol: If you put your request in NOW he may be free by the time you get there. This may be a popular request. :eyes:

Indestructible
05-26-2010, 01:39 PM
Tim Ripper Owens - Man on the Silver mountain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NthXWSL5aNY

ChildrenofSodom
05-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Tim Ripper Owens - Man on the Silver mountain

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NthXWSL5aNY

Is he playing the Ruby Tuesdays circuit?

Derelict
05-26-2010, 02:57 PM
Is he playing the Ruby Tuesdays circuit?

TGI Fridays

The Green and Black
05-26-2010, 03:51 PM
TGI Fridays

Atleast it's not a seafood restaurant in NE Philly! :lol:

Sanitarium78
05-26-2010, 05:34 PM

Or some random resturant/bar here in Buffalo. Which would be much worse I think. Now that he's not making his name off of other established metal acts like Judas Priest and Iced Earth, his career has come full circle and he's now back to playing covers in front of 12 people again:D

The guy can sing though. He does a real good job with the song.

Derelict
05-26-2010, 05:43 PM

At a place with no stage

The Green and Black
05-27-2010, 06:36 AM
Or some random resturant/bar here in Buffalo. Which would be much worse I think. Now that he's not making his name off of other established metal acts like Judas Priest and Iced Earth, his career has come full circle and he's now back to playing covers in front of 12 people again:D

:party::party::party:

Finally! I totally agree. While I have no problem with Ripper and think he is a good singer, he is one of those guys who never really made his own mold, he is always riding someone's coat tails. I feel the same way about Chris Caffery. :tp:

Sanitarium78
05-27-2010, 10:21 AM
:party::party::party:

Finally! I totally agree. While I have no problem with Ripper and think he is a good singer, he is one of those guys who never really made his own mold, he is always riding someone's coat tails. I feel the same way about Chris Caffery. :tp:

I think most people just view Ripper as a Halford clone and nothing more. That's why he never broke out on his own at all. Though on 'Framing Armageddon' from Iced Earth he did do a great vocal job and was more than a Halford clone. I thought he had made his own idenity vocally on that album. But I haven't heard anything from him since then to know if he's kept that up.

Now before we get waaaaay off topic here. Wasn't Chris Caffery's first tour with Savatage opening for Dio on the Dream Evil tour?

The Green and Black
05-27-2010, 11:51 AM
I think most people just view Ripper as a Halford clone and nothing more. That's why he never broke out on his own at all. Though on 'Framing Armageddon' from Iced Earth he did do a great vocal job and was more than a Halford clone. I thought he had made his own idenity vocally on that album. But I haven't heard anything from him since then to know if he's kept that up.

Now before we get waaaaay off topic here. Wasn't Chris Caffery's first tour with Savatage opening for Dio on the Dream Evil tour?

Ripper is talented, but I have a problem with band whores! haha Judas Priest, Iced Earth, Yngwie Malmsteen, plus about 3 different projects going the past year or so, and I still don't think he has become his own, if you know what I mean. Charred Walls of the Damned (his new project, not sure if you have heard it) is actually good. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbXEUGU4ED4

As for Caffery, yes, he did that tour, only if anyone saw that tour, they would not know it. It was the Hall of the Mountain King tour for Savatage, and Caffery was not in the band officially, so he just played rhythm guitar from behind the stage. :lol:

Another add on to that statement, Criss Oliva was not comfortable having a second guitarist in the band, but when he finally wanted to give Caffery the credit he thought he deserved, and let Caff become a full member for Gutter Ballet, Caff quite by the next album, Streets. I mean I'm glad cause Streets in my favorite and I didn't really need him on that album, but still just felt like pointing that out. Then after Criss Oliva was killed, Caffery started carrying some torch like he loved and respected the guy so much, I'm not buying it. :tp:

PlaysWithKnives
05-27-2010, 08:05 PM

Sure is sickening. Don't these freaks realize that Dio was actually a great and well loved guy? Had his own charity for troubled kids and all. These people just got nothing better to do. Just trying to get themselves noticed. Mission accomplshied douchbags. RIP RJD

JRA
05-27-2010, 08:19 PM
Ripper Owens should be the new singer in Dragonforce.

I'm dead serious.

PlaysWithKnives
05-27-2010, 09:20 PM

I'm dead serious.
I agree. I think it would be a good fit. I'm not a huge fan of his or anything but Ripper gets a bad rap from some people

ravenheart
05-28-2010, 04:40 AM

I'm dead serious.

No. Dragonforce should just disband.

Sanitarium78
05-28-2010, 11:15 AM
Had his own charity for troubled kids and all.

Yeah the charity is called 'Children Of The Night'. They provide a shelter and funds to help run away or abandoned teenaged girls from being prostitutes. Ronnie always seemed quiet about his backing of it though. His wife Wendy is on the board of directors. Deffinately a cool thing he was involved with, I think. It deffinately gives new meaning to songs like Rock N Roll Children, One Night In The City and Throw Away Children.

Indestructible
05-31-2010, 04:42 PM
“Death is a natural part of life. Rejoice for those around you who transform into the Force. Mourn them do not.“Miss them do not. "

Master Yoda to Anakin Skywalker in Star Wars Episode III:Revenge of the sith

Indestructible
05-31-2010, 06:36 PM
Does anythink that someone carved the dio logo on Dios tombstone

Sanitarium78
05-31-2010, 08:15 PM
Does anythink that someone carved the dio logo on Dios tombstone

I wouldn't be surprised if the logo or something fancy was on the grave stone. In fact I pretty much expect it. I'm sure some pictures will surface of it online soon enough.

TonyD
05-31-2010, 08:24 PM
Did anyone here end up going to the service?

DethMaiden
06-01-2010, 09:46 AM
http://decibelmagazine.com/Content.aspx?ncid=373098

Enormous list of artist tributes gathered by Decibel, some good stuff.

Sanitarium78
06-02-2010, 06:36 PM
It's been reported on the Black Sabbath message board that Ronnie was finally laid to rest yesterday afternoon:(

Sanitarium78
06-06-2010, 10:20 AM
http://www.legacy.com/funerals/ForestLawn-California/obituary.aspx?n=DIO-RONNIE-JAMES&pid=142951986

I think this is from the cemetary where he's buried. You can sign the book here and leave a message if you want. I'm not sure if Ronnie's family will ever read any of it but I thought it was a pretty cool thing.