PDA

View Full Version : People give As I Lay Dying a hard time for being Christians. Why not other bands?

Travis The Dragon
05-14-2010, 01:09 PM
Dave Mustaine is a Christian.
Tom Araya is a Catholic.
Nicko McBrain is a Christian.

People always make jokes about AILD. Things like "Jesus would approve of this". Well, what about the 3 above bands? Since they also have Christian members, isn't it only fair to make the same statements about them? Just something to think about.

mankvill
05-14-2010, 01:11 PM
People give Dave Mustaine shit ALL the time for being a Christian.

Tom doesn't act like a dumbass when it comes to his religion.

Same with Nicko.

Dude, you're taking this shit way too seriously. :confused:

Cynicist
05-14-2010, 01:14 PM
Because As I Lay Dying sucks.

mankvill
05-14-2010, 01:18 PM

:lol: That's another possibility.

Travis The Dragon
05-14-2010, 01:27 PM
People give Dave Mustaine shit ALL the time for being a Christian.

Tom doesn't act like a dumbass when it comes to his religion.

Same with Nicko.

Dude, you're taking this shit way too seriously. :confused:

Ya, I am lately. I better chill out. :) :cool:

makethemsuffer12
05-14-2010, 01:30 PM
Ya, I am lately. I better chill out. :) :cool:

http://static.open.salon.com/files/jesus-thumps-up111248018906.jpg[

larvtard
05-14-2010, 01:34 PM
Dude, I think 95% of Americans are Christians (well, probably significantly less for metal bands, but still). Yeah, those guys are Christian, but so what? Slayer and Megadeth aren't Christian bands

MPF
05-14-2010, 01:45 PM
When I seen The Devil Wears Prada at Sounds of The Underground, they were pelted with water and beer bottles after they said they loved Jesus.

As for me, I'm a Lutheran, and I couldn't give a fuck less what religion someone is. I will not ignore abnad because they are Christian, or Jewish, or Satanic, etc. It all depends on the quality of the music being played.

rjturtle9
05-14-2010, 01:48 PM

:party:

elturtleboy
05-14-2010, 02:06 PM

Amen to that!

xStructualDefect
05-14-2010, 02:42 PM
someone who says AILD sucks apparently hasn't seen them live.

SomewhereInTime72
05-14-2010, 02:46 PM

saw them live 6 years ago, they suck

mastodon421
05-14-2010, 03:00 PM

Yep pretty much or haven't heard The Powerless Rise. Plus As I Lay Dying is a Christan Metal band but they aren't preachy about it and they don't even let it be known when they are on stage. Personally I love As I Lay Dying they fact they are Christan does not matter one bit.

b_halperin
05-14-2010, 03:45 PM
I agree that some bands do take a lot of shit for being christian and that its not always justified.

the only scenario where i could see myself hating a band because of they're religious beliefs is if they are preaching it through their music (not gonna mention any names, underoath...) because i really can't stand when anybody postulates their religious beliefs.

i dont think aild is that bad, i like some of their old material.

Edit: forgot to mention that AILD is not one of the bands that pushes religious beliefs on you (as far as i know)

IrritatedTrout
05-14-2010, 03:49 PM

I haven't yet I know for a fact they suck a bag of cocks.

ravenheart
05-14-2010, 03:55 PM
There's a HUGE difference between a band who are Christians, and a Christian Band.

Christian bands play songs about Christianity. They're basically exploiting a certain media, in this case music, to preach. Regardless of whether you're a Christian or not, I think that's plain wrong.

Bands with Christian members... who gives a fuck. That's up to them, let them be.

Travis The Dragon
05-14-2010, 04:05 PM
There's a HUGE difference between a band who are Christians, and a Christian Band.

Christian bands play songs about Christianity. They're basically exploiting a certain media, in this case music, to preach. Regardless of whether you're a Christian or not, I think that's plain wrong.

Bands with Christian members... who gives a fuck. That's up to them, let them be.

Exactly. AILD are Christians in a metal band, but you would never guess it from their lyrics and concert performance.

ravenheart
05-14-2010, 04:26 PM
Exactly. AILD are Christians in a metal band, but you would never guess it from their lyrics and concert performance.

I didn't even know that. Mostly because I don't care about the band...

Every other line of their songs could be "PRAISE THE LORD"... I still wouldn't care.

I've also never noticed anyone give them shit for it. Mind you, I don't frequent the kind of worthless websites where all the teenage members sum up their miserable existence by talking shit about everything they don't like either.

Wizzbang11
05-14-2010, 05:37 PM
I don't think people give them enough shit for being religious.
Or Tom Araya. Seriously, what the fuck. Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits and he's a Christian? Lame.
Same with Hirax. They get off easy.

Religion doesn't mean the music can't be good, but it certainly does mean that I loose a fuck ton of respect for the artist performing it, and that they deserve to be harassed about it. Same goes for Nazi bands, except a ton of Nazi bands are awesome, whereas most overtly religious bands suck.

SomewhereInTime72
05-14-2010, 05:59 PM
Atheism is a religion.

inb4angryposts

xStructualDefect
05-14-2010, 06:05 PM
I don't think people give them enough shit for being religious.
Or Tom Araya. Seriously, what the fuck. Show No Mercy and Hell Awaits and he's a Christian? Lame.
Same with Hirax. They get off easy.

Religion doesn't mean the music can't be good, but it certainly does mean that I loose a fuck ton of respect for the artist performing it, and that they deserve to be harassed about it. Same goes for Nazi bands, except a ton of Nazi bands are awesome, whereas most overtly religious bands suck.

are you fucking serious? what are like a 14 year old athiest? who cares if a band is christian but writes lyrics that go against it, they have fun writing about it. like Tom Araya said on God Hates Us All, "God doesn't hate us all, but it's an awesome fucking title" or somewhere along the lines of that.

Wizzbang11
05-14-2010, 06:18 PM
Atheism is a religion.

inb4angryposts

That's just retarded.

@xStructuralDefectx-I was clearly not 100% serious dude, relax. And yeah, it is disappointing that the creators of 'The Antichrist' are Christian, but I don't really care.

ravenheart
05-14-2010, 06:23 PM
That's just retarded.

@xStructuralDefectx-I was clearly not 100% serious dude, relax. And yeah, it is disappointing that the creators of 'The Antichrist' are Christian, but I don't really care.

It was pretty poorly delivered sarcasm, bro. Even I was struggling to pick it out.

larvtard
05-14-2010, 06:24 PM
OK, I've never given ALID a fair listen before, probably b/c of preconceived misconceptions (i.e. they're Christian- they must suck).

But I just listened to this song http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcf2yktEtNE from their new album and wow... I've been missing out :rocker:

Wizzbang11
05-14-2010, 06:26 PM
It was pretty poorly delivered sarcasm, bro. Even I was struggling to pick it out.

Wasn't really sarcasm, more annoyed over statement, if that makes any sense.

Oh, and the last half is completely serious.

SomewhereInTime72
05-14-2010, 06:40 PM
That's just retarded.
The belief that there is no God is a religious belief. :)

xStructualDefect
05-14-2010, 06:43 PM
That's just retarded.

athiestism is a relegion actually.

and okay but just saying 'cause i really think it's stupid for someone to lose respect for a band like Slayer because they are christians in real life. they're like in they're 40's and have families now they're not gonna be the same "satan-worshipping" people or w.e like they were back then when they wrote those albums.

Wizzbang11
05-14-2010, 06:44 PM
The belief that there is no God is a religious belief. :)

No. Atheism is the natural state of the human mind. Everyone is an atheist at birth, then becomes religious. Atheism is a lack of belief, not a belief itself. Religion also follows a philosophy, is organized, etc. etc. , all of which atheism does not.

Wizzbang11
05-14-2010, 06:45 PM
athiestism is a relegion actually.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
05-14-2010, 06:51 PM
Kerry King is a staunch atheist.

mankvill
05-14-2010, 07:02 PM
If you don't like someone because of solely their religious affiliation, you're a fucking dumbass.

cept for scientologists.

MPF
05-14-2010, 07:25 PM
I haven't yet I know for a fact they suck a bag of cocks.

I guess I don't understand this phrasse. Do they suck the actual bag or every cock inside the bag? :confused:....

:tongue: I watched a Louis C.K. stand up and that reminded me of it.

If you don't like someone because of solely their religious affiliation, you're a fucking dumbass.

cept for scientologists.

Abso-fucking-lutely!

SomewhereInTime72
05-14-2010, 07:33 PM
No. Atheism is the natural state of the human mind. Everyone is an atheist at birth, then becomes religious. Atheism is a lack of belief, not a belief itself.

LOLNO

a·the·ism
   /ˈeɪθiˌɪzəm/ Show Spelled[ey-thee-iz-uhm] Show IPA
–noun
the doctrine or belief that there is no god.

No one is born thinking anything about god and whether he is existent or nonexistent. Enjoy you're not understanding what atheism is.

edit: anyway, what manks said

Wizzbang11
05-14-2010, 07:52 PM
This sums it up better than I could.
http://atheism.about.com/library/FAQs/ath/blathm_rel_religion.htm

Read on from the dictionary.com definition.
a·the·ism (ā'thē-ĭz'əm)
n.

Disbelief in or denial of the existence of God or gods.

By your logic, would it be possible for someone not to be religious?
There is no philosophy, morale code, spiritual leaders or anything else found in all 'religions' within atheism, it is simply a lack of belief. Anyone who does not subscribe to a religion or believe in a higher power is not religious, so what are they?

Wizzbang11
05-14-2010, 07:56 PM

cept for scientologists.

Clear financial motives aside, there is nothing more ridiculous about scientology than Judaism, Christianity, Islam or any other religion. I don't "not like" people solely because of their religious affiliation, but I do have less respect for them, in the same way you do with scene kids, stoners and most of the other people you (justly) bitch about.

MPF
05-14-2010, 07:59 PM
I'm sorry but you are not born Atheist, just as much as you are not born Christian. Faith and Belief are not made at birth. They happen when the mind discovers religion, Then the person chooses to further their religious beliefs, or choose not to believe.

Say by some fucked up case that a person is born in the mountains and lives their life by themselves without anything but trying to survive. It doesn't make them Atheist if they do not know about religion. You have to know of religion and choose not to believe to be an Atheist.

*Sorry that's the best example I could think off on the spot*

And I like and agree with Devin Townsend said earlier this year...God, big fan, not of the fanclub.

daimonos
05-14-2010, 08:04 PM
I have no problem with the members of a band being Christians. But if I'm listening to Metal I don't wanna hear some Christian preaching to me. That's why I don't like Christian metal bands.

With most Satanic bands I've heard, most of the time the bands aren't being too serious about it, so it's a little bit different. And if they are, it's hard to take that seriously, whereas with a band singing about Christian themes it would. However, Reinkaos by Dissection, (which is a great fucking album), is basically all about actual Satanic spells and the Luciferian Order religion or whatnot. But I have no idea what the hell he is talking about, because it just sounds like some fantasy shit, and it's actually interesting. Also with bands that sing about Norse religions, such as Amon Amarth or Enslaved, or whatever Morbid Angel sings about half the time, it's not first nature for me to take that seriously, but for some reason with Christian bands it is. So now that I'm done typing this I'm kinda wondering why that is...

SomewhereInTime72
05-14-2010, 08:05 PM
"Atheism" and a lack of belief are two different things.
Atheism: Believe there is no god.
Agnosticism: Believe you cannot know for certain whether there is a god or not.
Both of these come with their own philosophies (e.g. "i must decide for myself what is right or wrong"), the difference between them and other religious beliefs is that they are not written down anywhere.

Having no beliefs whatsoever on the subject is known as irreligion or just being non-religious.

Though if you ask me, I think belief in God is usually just a way for insecure people to feel more "right." If you honestly believe that your morals and God's overlap, and that God is on your side, your worries about that sort of thing would be over pretty quickly.

:)

Honestly, I didn't even know AILD were christian until like, right before this thread. :eyes: I have no problem with Christian themes in music (heck I love TSO), as long as it's done well. Songs about how homosexuals shouldn't have marriage rights are not gonna appeal to me, but I think some songs that focus on the cooler aspects of whatever religion are totally acceptable. Heck, Iron freakin' Maiden have some songs with very christian themes (New Frontier comes to mind), so as with every philosophy/belief, it's cool to hear about as long as the speaker isn't being a douchemaster.

ChildrenofSodom
05-14-2010, 08:31 PM
1) I don't think AILD suck, I actually like them. Their personal beliefs have no effect on that. The singer is a really cool guy, giving young kids an opportunity to make music, adopted a kid from Africa, nice guy all around.

2) Atheism isn't a religion. Get over it. I took a class on the sociology of religion, and atheism, as the lack of belief in god or belief that there is no god, does not meet the qualification for religion. Humanism, maybe. But not atheism.

3) This thread is stupid. AILD don't get shit for being Christian. Two of my favorite metalcore bands, AILD and Demon Hunter, are Christian bands and I don't care.

bt11763
05-14-2010, 08:56 PM
cept for scientologists.

trufax :agree:

and don't worry fonz, i like AILD too ;)

Div
05-14-2010, 08:57 PM
http://img140.imageshack.us/img140/548/1250043036220.jpg

Derelict
05-14-2010, 09:06 PM
They are boringcore that I would make fun of anyway, the Christianity angle is just an extra thing to make fun of

edit: ok that was harsh, these guys are at least solid live. Christian thing doesn't really bother me, just trolling. Didn't know about the singer adopting, that is pretty admirable

TonyD
05-14-2010, 09:44 PM
Yeah I don't ever hear anybody say "I like this band but they're fucking Christians". What really bothered me was Underoath at the first Mayhem fest.
The stages were side by side, and while all of the Machine Head fans were gathering, drinking and smoking weed, Underoath was playing on the other side, and in between songs the singer said, "what's different between us and all of the other bands on this tour is that we're Christians and we're proud." Needless to say, the Machine-fucking-fans let em have it.

bt11763
05-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Yeah I don't ever hear anybody say "I like this band but they're fucking Christians". What really bothered me was Underoath at the first Mayhem fest.
The stages were side by side, and while all of the Machine Head fans were gathering, drinking and smoking weed, Underoath was playing on the other side, and in between songs the singer said, "what's different between us and all of the other bands on this tour is that we're Christians and we're proud." Needless to say, the Machine-fucking-fans let em have it.

weirdest christian band experience for me was SOTU 07, went from Goatwhore who ended their set with "HAIL FUCKING SATAN!!!" followed by The Devil Wears Prada who ended their set with "JUST REMEMBER THAT JESUS LOVES EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOU!!!"