PDA

View Full Version : Mastodon -- Eugene, OR -- May 10th, 2010

jotun2graveland
05-11-2010, 07:54 AM
Seeing as I haven't seen any reviews of the show in between the Oakland one and the one in Eugene last night, I figured I would update how the whole Mastodon thing was. The set for Mastodon, I believe, was the same 2 sets that they've been playing during their shows that didn't end early.

The show was at the McDonald's Theater, which is pretty much Eugene's theater for the few bigger names that occasionally stop by in Eugene. However, I figured that there wouldn't be that many people at this show, since Mastodon played in Portland during the first tour for CTS, as well as during the Dethklok tour. To my surprise though, it was actually incredibly packed.
Valient Thor were fun and Baroness just slayed as usual. I stayed in the lobby for BTBAM, as I'm not really big on them.

As for Mastodon, the band came on stage to a wave of cheers, and the first thing I looked for was to see if Brent was incredibly drunk or was going to be able to play well for the whole time. He definitely seemed to be nowhere near what it sounds he was like in Oakland so that was good to see. They then went on to play all of CTS, and the only time I saw Brent make any notion to the sound guys was during Oblivion, when it looked as though he just signaled him to turn something down. Other than that, I didn't see him complaining constantly about the sound. It wasn't the best sound I've heard, but the overall band's sound was still quite good. During all of CTS, Brent kind of just seemed to be playing and not really trying to make himself stand out over the rest of the band. After CTS, there was maybe a 5 minute break, tops, and then the band came back to a roar of cheers. They then went to play the second set, and Brent seemed to really be enjoying playing these songs. At the end of the show, Brann seemed incredibly pleased by the interactive and full crowd that came to see them and said they would be coming back to Eugene again at some point.

So, after seeing Mastodon's set last night, I'd say that either Brent has just been incredibly moody this tour, or that the band was able to somehow convince him to stop being a prima donna. Anyways, it was a much better show than I was expecting, due to Brent not acting up last night.

DethMaiden
05-11-2010, 07:55 AM
This is very good news, thanks for the report. :fist:

MPF
05-11-2010, 10:57 AM
That is great to hear. Maybe things will get back on the right track.

Crionics
05-11-2010, 11:50 AM
Good news :fist:

bt11763
05-11-2010, 11:55 AM
this is the mastodon i know and have witnessed both times i saw them :D

jotun2graveland
05-11-2010, 12:37 PM
I found this on the Mastodon forum, and this guy seems to explain the whole show even better, if you want a more descriptive write-up.
http://board.mastodonrocks.com/index.php?showtopic=6285

mastodon421
05-11-2010, 01:42 PM
Great news. Happy to hear Brent is back on track.

idrinkwine732
05-11-2010, 03:47 PM
I want a fucking make-up show then. That's bullshit.

Not to devalue your experience or anything, I'm happy you had a great time, and everything went well, but I feel cheated now...

TonyD
05-11-2010, 09:16 PM
I felt cheated in the first place. Had it not been for the addition of Priestess and High on Fire, I would have been throwing shit. Not to mention tickets were $10-15 more than the rest of the dates.

Nick_to_the_face
05-12-2010, 04:45 AM
Fuck ya, im happy. Hopefully he doesn't start throwning fits again anytime soon...or ever again