PDA

View Full Version : Songs you hate from bands you love

The Green and Black
05-09-2010, 01:59 AM
It's late, and I'm tired, so only these few come to mind right now. I'll add more later as I think of them.

Lavatory Love Machine - Edguy
Sure, it's a fun song, but it's a sore spot on an otherwise flawless album. And I wish they would stop playing it live. Enough!

Summertime Girls - Y&T
Again, sure it's a fun song, but weak compared to their other material, and sadly it's their only real hit, and the only song a lot of people know by them.

Silent Lucidity - Queensryche (not that I really LOVE Ryche anymore but still, I hate this song)
This one is a sleeping pill for me. I never liked it. And it's even worse when they play it live and it's the damn highlight of the show for 2/3 of the audience.

Ballad of Jane - LA Guns
Same reasons as Silent Lucidity above.

Old School - Overkill
Meh, it's catchy, and sure it's sorta fun, but come on, enough already.

Symphony of Life - Avantasia
This song is just terrible.

mankvill
05-09-2010, 02:09 AM
going through my last.fm:

1. Anaal Nathrakh - none ^_^
2. Iron Maiden - Can I Play With Madness (It's weird, SSOASS is probably like my 2nd favorite Maiden album, but I can't stand this song at all)
3. Slayer - Americon (FUCK NO, YOU HAVE THE WORST LYRICS OF ALL TIME)
4. Cannibal Corpse - none ^_^
5. Boris - the Altar album (Maybe I just need to listen to it again...)
6. Skeletonwitch - none ^_^
7. Judas Priest - none ^_^
8. Celtic Frost - Danse Macabre (It's just stupid.)
9. Daft Punk - Short Circuit (HOLY SHIT), Indo Silver Club (sounds weird to me)
10. Sodom - none ^_^

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 06:26 AM
It's late, and I'm tired, so only these few come to mind right now. I'll add more later as I think of them.

Lavatory Love Machine - Edguy
Sure, it's a fun song, but it's a sore spot on an otherwise flawless album. And I wish they would stop playing it live. Enough!

Summertime Girls - Y&T
Again, sure it's a fun song, but weak compared to their other material, and sadly it's their only real hit, and the only song a lot of people know by them.

Silent Lucidity - Queensryche (not that I really LOVE Ryche anymore but still, I hate this song)
This one is a sleeping pill for me. I never liked it. And it's even worse when they play it live and it's the damn highlight of the show for 2/3 of the audience.

Ballad of Jane - LA Guns
Same reasons as Silent Lucidity above.

:lol: yes, all of these!

Additionally:

Stuck Mojo - Yoko
Overkill - Old School
Black Sabbath - Who Are You
Cathedral - Cats, Incense, Candles & Wine
Queen - Bring Back That Leroy Brown

There are definitely loads more...

Cynicist
05-09-2010, 07:53 AM
Morbid Angel's entire Domination album, and most of Heretic
Megadeth - A Tout le Monde, with that scaby girl
Unleashed - Mediawhore

mastodon421
05-09-2010, 08:24 AM
Speaking Of Anaal Nakrath Mank did you hear one of their members is starting is a side project with the vocalist from Bleeding Through?

Crionics
05-09-2010, 08:26 AM

2. Iron Maiden - Can I Play With Madness (It's weird, SSOASS is probably like my 2nd favorite Maiden album, but I can't stand this song at all)
3. Slayer - Americon (FUCK NO, YOU HAVE THE WORST LYRICS OF ALL TIME)
5. Boris - the Altar album (Maybe I just need to listen to it again...)
8. Celtic Frost - Danse Macabre (It's just stupid.)
9. Daft Punk - Short Circuit (HOLY SHIT), Indo Silver Club (sounds weird to me)
10. Sodom - none ^_^

THIS!!!

makethemsuffer12
05-09-2010, 09:19 AM

:confused:

undergroundrage
05-09-2010, 09:24 AM
here is an easy one...

Metallica's entire St. Anger album.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 09:35 AM
here is an easy one...

Metallica's entire St. Anger album.

Nope.

undergroundrage
05-09-2010, 09:39 AM
Nope.

What?

Hey that works too.... Rob Zombie - What? ....man that song sucks.

Cynicist
05-09-2010, 09:58 AM

:confused:

Yep.

They went from Lord of All Fevers and Plague and The Ancient Ones, to Caesar's Palace and Where the Slime Live... really? c'mon now...

Trey himself has even stated that he didn't like the direction of the band at the time of that album.

Really scared of what the new one will sound like with all the "electronic music" talk.

Uncle_Meat1940
05-09-2010, 10:14 AM
I'm more excited for the tour than the album. But that's mainly cause I've never got to see them live.

Maiden33
05-09-2010, 10:20 AM
Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills. Enough said.

I'll work on a list later.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 10:39 AM
Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills

Nope.

Maiden33
05-09-2010, 10:41 AM
To clarify - Run to the Hills isn't my least favorite Maiden song, it wouldn't even make the bottom 15. But the stigma and misrepresentation of Maiden that song provides just makes me want to vomit. I hate that it's the only song 98% of all non-Maiden fans know, I hate that they are under some sort of obligation to play it live all the time, and I just don't like the song much to begin with.

ChildrenofSodom
05-09-2010, 10:58 AM
I hate that it's the only song 98% of all non-Maiden fans know,

I'm sorry the thing you like is accessible to other people.

Maiden33
05-09-2010, 11:07 AM
I'm sorry the thing you like is accessible to other people.

As usual, you're point is pretty irrelevant to what I said.

And it could be argued that technically the thing I like is NOT accessible to other people, for my point is derived from the fact that the only "hit" Maiden has is a song of theirs I don't even like.

Uncle_Meat1940
05-09-2010, 11:09 AM
Watch out man, he has an arsenal of really hurtful names. hahahaha

Crionics
05-09-2010, 11:48 AM
Yep.

They went from Lord of All Fevers and Plague and The Ancient Ones, to Caesar's Palace and Where the Slime Live... really? c'mon now...

Trey himself has even stated that he didn't like the direction of the band at the time of that album.

Really scared of what the new one will sound like with all the "electronic music" talk.

Huh?? When was this??

mankvill
05-09-2010, 11:50 AM
Speaking Of Anaal Nakrath Mank did you hear one of their members is starting is a side project with the vocalist from Bleeding Through?

Yeah, but I should be expecting that from Mick nowadays. I mean, Exploder was basically a throwback to Motley Crue-esque bands.

Cynicist
05-09-2010, 12:10 PM
Huh?? When was this??

With MORBID ANGEL being somewhat notorious for putting out different-sounding records, this record will again be unique. With Trey's [Azagthoth, guitar] writing and everything, there are actually some electronic songs, for those who don't know there will be a good handful of electronic tracks.

"We played the new song 'Nevemore' on the last tour and that kind of shows where our heads are at," he said. "I'd say it's like an assemblage of all sorts of stuff from the catalog and some new influences. I listen to a lot of hardcore [techno] music now the fuckin' serious, artistic stuff, not that crap you hear at the clubs. That stuff has impact and it's really extreme. Even if there's no guitar in it or no real drums, the energy coming out of the speakers is amazing."

:eyes:

Crionics
05-09-2010, 12:12 PM
:eyes:

Oh god..I liked Nevermore though but..let's hope this is exaggerated..

DethMaiden
05-09-2010, 12:25 PM
Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills. Enough said.

I'll work on a list later.

To clarify - Run to the Hills isn't my least favorite Maiden song, it wouldn't even make the bottom 15. But the stigma and misrepresentation of Maiden that song provides just makes me want to vomit. I hate that it's the only song 98% of all non-Maiden fans know, I hate that they are under some sort of obligation to play it live all the time, and I just don't like the song much to begin with.

I agree with all of this. That fucking chorus gave it all the radio play when The Number of the Beast would be a much better legacy for Iron Maiden to give to classic rock radio. And yeah, RTTH...just isn't a good song. The riff is bad, the chorus is annoying, it has the most stereotypical "Maiden gallop" ever without being interesting...worst song on NOTB, one of the worst of their Golden Era.

Worst Maiden song though? The Assassin. :barf:

idrinkwine732
05-09-2010, 12:26 PM
I heard Daft Punk is guesting on the new one.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Worst Maiden song though? The Assassin. :barf:

The Angel And The Gambler runs it close :tongue:

DethMaiden
05-09-2010, 12:31 PM
The Angel And The Gambler runs it close :tongue:

The Angel and the Gambler suffers from being too long, but somewhere in there, there's a great 4-and-a-half minute song.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 12:32 PM
The Angel and the Gambler suffers from being too long, but somewhere in there, there's a great 4-and-a-half minute song.

Maybe if you, I don't know, play it backwards and shuffle up the different parts in a random order? :confused:

DethMaiden
05-09-2010, 12:33 PM
Maybe if you, I don't know, play it backwards and shuffle up the different parts in a random order? :confused:

DON'T YOU THINK I'M A SAVIOUR
DON'T YOU THINK I CAN SAVE YA
DON'T YOU THINK I CAN SAVE YOUR LIFE
(x100000000000000)

mankvill
05-09-2010, 12:47 PM
I heard Daft Punk is guesting on the new one.

I would cum.

ChildrenofSodom
05-09-2010, 12:53 PM
As usual, you're point is pretty irrelevant to what I said.

What? My point is completely relevant. You said you don't like the song because it is every non-Maiden fans favorite Maiden song. You said that you hate it because Maiden feels obligated to play it live. You don't particularly like the song, but the fact that everyone else likes it makes you hate it.

ChildrenofSodom
05-09-2010, 01:00 PM
The riff is bad, the chorus is annoying, it has the most stereotypical "Maiden gallop" ever without being interesting.

Uh....Is that possible? For a song written in 1982, just two years and 3 albums since Maiden's debut, for something to be 'stereotypical'? Logically, that doens't make sense to me.

But whatever. Opinions are just opinions.

DethMaiden
05-09-2010, 01:02 PM
Uh....Is that possible? For a song written in 1982, just two years and 3 albums since Maiden's debut, for something to be 'stereotypical'? Logically, that doens't make sense to me.

But whatever. Opinions are just opinions.

Well, a lot of Maiden songs have that sort of trademark galloping feel, but most of them put it in a more interesting context, at least for me. I'm not calling it a blatant attempt at a radio hit, because for that, they've been more shameless. It's just not a very good song in my opinion.

Sanitarium78
05-09-2010, 01:09 PM
The list would be pretty long if I were to do this. Trust me, every band I love has songs that suck. Just because whoever is a great band doesn't mean they don't have their fair share of band stuff.

As for the Run To The Hills dicussion, without this song I porbably would never have become a Maiden fan. It's not that great of a song but it's far from a song I hate. Every band needs a few songs that are more commercial if they want to get any kind of fanbase at all. That's one of the reasons metal was so big back in the 80s. Most bands had a few songs you could play on the radio, unlike today where most of it has no place to be on any major radio station. Ultimately, it's all about raising awareness of your band among the music fans of the world. That's what a song like that does. I don't think it sucks that RTTH is the only Maiden song that non-Maiden fans know. Much the same way I don't think it sucks that Paranoid and Iron Man are the only Sabbath songs some know. Honestly, at least they're aware of the band because of those songs and that's way better than having no clue who they are If you ask me. It's better than saying "who?" when a band name comes up, like I often do with 80 percent of the band names I read around here:D

The Angel And The Gambler wouldn't be as bad if it wasn't extended so long. I honestly have no clue what Steve was trying to accomplish by doing that at all:confused: If the song had been cut down to around 5 mins it wouldn't have as much hate I don't think and would be much more tolerable.

ChildrenofSodom
05-09-2010, 01:21 PM
As for the Run To The Hills dicussion, without this song I porbably would never have become a Maiden fan. It's not that great of a song but it's far from a song I hate. Every band needs a few songs that are more commercial if they want to get any kind of fanbase at all. .

I'm not sure that happens as much as people say. Why is it that any band that pursues a certain sound, whether that is Maiden, Metallica, or In Flames, it is because they are trying to gain commercial success, and not because they legitimately like the sound? I think that effect may be acheived, but I'm not sure the motive was there beforehand. That excuse is just a way for fans to justify liking the unpopular songs and hating the popular songs.

Uncle_Meat1940
05-09-2010, 01:27 PM
:tp:

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 01:29 PM
It's better than saying "who?" when a band name comes up, like I often do with 80 percent of the band names I read around here:D

This is a very sorry state of affairs.

Sanitarium78
05-09-2010, 01:53 PM
This is a very sorry state of affairs.

I honestly don't see it that way. I've been listening to metal and music in general for so long now that i'm into enough bands, both new and old, to satisfy me for the rest of my life. If a new band comes around that impresses me, sure i'll deffinately check them out. Maybe i'm in the minority around here and I honestly don't care. But i'm past the point in my life where i'm searching the internet for bands and learning all their names and who the hell they are. I'm just don't give a shit about that anymore. There's more important things to worry about in life than knowing who every band is. Sure, I might miss out on a lot of good bands but I listen to enough good music that I don't consider it that big of a loss at all.

JRA
05-09-2010, 02:30 PM

me)
10. Sodom - none ^_^

:lol:

Led Zeppelin- Nobody's Fault But Mine
Slayer- Temptation & Dead Skin Mask
Metallica- Nothing Else Matters
Pantera- Good Friends & A Bottle of Pills
Black Sabbath- Walk Away
Overkill- Under One
Iron Maiden- Prodigal Son
Rush- Roll The Bones
Motorhead- Metropolis (seriously, why the fuck is this still being played live?)
Children of Bodom- In Your Face
Mastodon- Trilobite
The Who- Call Me Lightning
Judas Priest- United
Van Halen- I'll Wait
WASP- Ballcrusher
The Rolling Stones- Shattered

Also, to anyone who hates "Run To The Hills," please go google image "Babypaste."

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 02:39 PM
Led Zeppelin- Nobody's Fault But Mine
Slayer- Dead Skin Mask
Black Sabbath- Walk Away
Overkill- Under One
Motorhead- Metropolis
WASP- Ballcrusher

http://blacklabelsociety.net/modules/Forums/images/smiles/sad3.gif

undergroundrage
05-09-2010, 03:00 PM
I honestly don't see it that way. I've been listening to metal and music in general for so long now that i'm into enough bands, both new and old, to satisfy me for the rest of my life. If a new band comes around that impresses me, sure i'll deffinately check them out. Maybe i'm in the minority around here and I honestly don't care. But i'm past the point in my life where i'm searching the internet for bands and learning all their names and who the hell they are. I'm just don't give a shit about that anymore. There's more important things to worry about in life than knowing who every band is. Sure, I might miss out on a lot of good bands but I listen to enough good music that I don't consider it that big of a loss at all.

agreed. It sometimes feels like it's a contest around here to see who can search out the most obscure band they can find. Then once a band has any name value, they become throw away for the next band.

"oh shit, they have a music video, they must suck now!" :tp:

JRA
05-09-2010, 03:04 PM
http://blacklabelsociety.net/modules/Forums/images/smiles/sad3.gif

You like St. Anger. Your opinion is irrelevant.

undergroundrage
05-09-2010, 03:07 PM

THANK YOU!

Really tho ravenheart, I'd like to hear reasons as to why you disagree rather than a stupid 'smilies' reply.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 03:21 PM
I honestly don't see it that way.

Shame. I can't get behind "just having enough". New music is always being created and I want to hear it. And if I like it, I want to buy it and listen to it. It's not about obscurity, or whether a band charts or not. I couldn't care less. I just want to hear new music. If that comes from bands I already know, or bands I don't yet and need to find out about, I don't care. I especially don't want to hear bands making the same record every year.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 03:21 PM

Uhuh. Uhuh. 1 for 3. Getting better.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 03:23 PM
Really tho ravenheart, I'd like to hear reasons as to why you disagree rather than a stupid 'smilies' reply.

No need whatsoever. The smilie says all that needs to be said. All of those songs are great songs.

I think I'm actually most surprised by 'Nobody's Fault But Mine'... or maybe 'Dead Skin Mask'...

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 03:24 PM

Thanks to YouTube practically everyone makes videos now. Even underground bands. This is now an irrelevant and outdated statement, even when used ironically.

Wizzbang11
05-09-2010, 03:25 PM
Iron Maiden- Can I Play with Madness, Tailgunner, half of The X Factor and all of Virtual XI
GWAR- Pocket Pool
Carcass- No Love Lost

idrinkwine732
05-09-2010, 03:36 PM
Uhuh. Uhuh. 1 for 3. Getting better.

You liked St. Anger?

undergroundrage
05-09-2010, 03:38 PM
Thanks to YouTube practically everyone makes videos now. Even underground bands. This is now an irrelevant and outdated statement, even when used ironically.

Ok smart ass :tp:

undergroundrage
05-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Shame. I can't get behind "just having enough". New music is always being created and I want to hear it. And if I like it, I want to buy it and listen to it. It's not about obscurity, or whether a band charts or not. I couldn't care less. I just want to hear new music. If that comes from bands I already know, or bands I don't yet and need to find out about, I don't care. I especially don't want to hear bands making the same record every year.

I agree with this, but I don't feel the need to dig 600 ft down to find a band. I think once you clear the top few layers off a genre, the rest just comes off as "I've already heard this", even if the band is good.

IrritatedTrout
05-09-2010, 03:42 PM
The biggest offender is Sanctuary.

Fucking awful. Hate hate hate.

Sanitarium78
05-09-2010, 03:45 PM

That's cool though. I actually used to be like that as well. It's only been over the last year or so that I stopped doing it. It isn't about weather a band charts or not, it more has to do with most bands out there just not being very good. That's the bad side of the internet though. It gives a lot of bands no matter how bad they are a chance for everyone to hear them. Bands that really shouldn't be recording anything in the first place. I just don't feel like listening to all the garbage that's out there in hopes that I MIGHT hear something I like. It could be an age thing as well. Once you get to a certian age a lot of people start drifting away and not caring as much about what's new or who the latest underground metal sensation is. I tend to stick with my "old reliable" bands now because I know i'll always enjoy them. You can never listen to too much Iron Maiden anyways:D

Crionics
05-09-2010, 03:55 PM
WASP- Ballcrusher

Really? I like this song, and I only own 2 of WASPS albums.

DethMaiden
05-09-2010, 04:09 PM
agreed. It sometimes feels like it's a contest around here to see who can search out the most obscure band they can find. Then once a band has any name value, they become throw away for the next band.

NO ONE BELIEVES THIS!

Jesus, lose the victim mentality! No one seriously thinks like that! NO ONE! Not here, not anywhere!

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 04:13 PM
Really? I like this song, and I only own 2 of WASPS albums.

I do too (the first part), but when you think about it, the first three W.A.S.P. albums are complete bullshit in terms of songs. They're all catchy enough, but lyrically, seriously, what the fuck? They didn't get serious until the fourth album, and for me, much as I still enjoy the first three, they greatly improved and besides the horrible drop that was Helldorado, I've continued to enjoy them.

I just don't think that 'Ballcrusher', of all the stupid songs they wrote in that time, is the one to pick out as the worst.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 04:15 PM
That's the bad side of the internet though. It gives a lot of bands no matter how bad they are a chance for everyone to hear them. Bands that really shouldn't be recording anything in the first place

This is very true. I always say this to people who only listen to chart music and following along blindly to whatever the latest hot band is, there is a lot of much better new music out there, but finding it amongst the dross takes effort. And it's more effort than most of them are prepared to put in.

I am talking about teenagers and twenty-somethings though. They should seriously still have the time and energy to use their brain a bit more! :lol:

I also say it to people who complain "there's no good music around anymore". We all know that's bullshit and they just can't be bothered to look for it.

DethMaiden
05-09-2010, 04:15 PM
I guess mine would look something like this:

Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills, The Assassin, Fear Is The Key - the last two because they really do suck that much dick, the first one because, as discussed, it's not the worst song they ever did, but this asks what songs I "hate" and its reputation is more than enough to make me hate it. I'll sing along to it live, but I'll wish it was something else.

Clutch - Honestly, most of Jam Room. No other band that I love this much has ever released such an abortion. They know it, too - never seen anything from it live the four times I've seen them. :lol:

Opeth - Into the Frost of Winter...fortunately it never found its way onto an album, officially

Mastodon - Hmm...I don't hate any Mastodon songs. They only have five records, so I guess that shouldn't be too surprising, but I didn't realize it until now. Well done, boys!

Rush - Surprisingly, a lot. Like a good two or three songs from almost every record they've done since 1985. But they still make my top 5 on the sheer quantity of their output and the fact that every single album (except Power Windows) has a few absolutely fantastic songs that make the record worthwhile.

There's my top 5, too lazy to think about anyone else.

Crionics
05-09-2010, 04:16 PM
I do too (the first part), but when you think about it, the first three W.A.S.P. albums are complete bullshit in terms of songs. They're all catchy enough, but lyrically, seriously, what the fuck? They didn't get serious until the fourth album, and for me, much as I still enjoy the first three, they greatly improved and besides the horrible drop that was Helldorado, I've continued to enjoy them.

I just don't think that 'Ballcrusher', of all the stupid songs they wrote in that time, is the one to pick out as the worst.

Haha WASPS first 2 are the only one's I own..lyric wise, it's not serious, but It's fun I guess..musically, I like the riffs and strong structure etc..I'll have to look into their serious stuff sometime..what do you suggest?

JRA
05-09-2010, 04:18 PM
The biggest offender is Sanctuary.

While I don't hate it, I always treated it like it was The Clairvoyant of the first album. The riff sounds like car horns honking in rhythm. That being said, I felt Maiden33's schpiel about RTTH being overplayed live applies waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay more to Sanctuary. Seriously, why the hell do they still play that song? Say what you will about RTTH, but at least it has the distinction of being the most enduring hit song of their career. Whereas Sanctuary barely made it to the UK top 40. I mean if they played Running Free just as much we'd probably still be complaining, but they would Maiden would have the merit of "well it was our first big hit."

But chart nonsense aside, I'd rather hear Running Free live over Sanctuary anyday.

No need whatsoever. The smilie says all that needs to be said. All of those songs are great songs.

I think I'm actually most surprised by 'Nobody's Fault But Mine'... or maybe 'Dead Skin Mask'...

I don't know, the whole "AAAAA AAAA AH AH" shctick just sounded stupid to me. As for Dead Skin Mask, to me that was everything that the Reign In Blood kiddies should hate and be afraid of with regards to Slayer playing slow. South of Heaven was an ominous, opening tremor to what would unfold to be a violent masterpiece, and was unrightfully shit upon. Where as Dead Skin is just lame and has no menace to it whatsoever and it was unconditionally accepted to the point where the fucking band plays it live more than Seasons In The Abyss. An absolute travesty if there ever was one.

DethMaiden
05-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Haha WASPS first 2 are the only one's I own..lyric wise, it's not serious, but It's fun I guess..musically, I like the riffs and strong structure etc..I'll have to look into their serious stuff sometime..what do you suggest?

The Crimson Idol. Don't listen to ravenheart on this. Listen to the rest of the world. The Crimson Idol. The Crimson Fucking Idol.

JRA
05-09-2010, 04:21 PM
Carcass- No Love Lost

That's too bad.

undergroundrage
05-09-2010, 04:36 PM
NO ONE BELIEVES THIS!

Jesus, lose the victim mentality! No one seriously thinks like that! NO ONE! Not here, not anywhere!

Uh huh. Right.

Arguing with you is pretty much pointless. I don't remember ever agreeing with you about anything

ChildrenofSodom
05-09-2010, 04:37 PM
Uh huh. Right.

Arguing with you is pretty much pointless. I don't remember ever agreeing with you about anything

O no. Someone keep Brad away from the razor blades!!

DethMaiden
05-09-2010, 04:38 PM
Uh huh. Right.

I just want you to offer everyone here one shred of evidence that there's anyone who will not listen to something on the principle that it's mainstream, or perceived as mainstream. Hell, as far as I know, everyone here listens to Iron Maiden, and they're one the biggest corporations in music history!

You can't just say things. You have to defend them. Especially when they're completely fucking ridiculous.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 04:38 PM
I'll have to look into their serious stuff sometime..what do you suggest?

'The Headless Children' all day long.

If you want soft songs and the same riffs and verses repeated over and over, then yeah, go with 'The Crimson Idol'.

JRA
05-09-2010, 04:46 PM
'The Headless Children' all day long.

If you want soft songs and the same riffs and verses repeated over and over, then yeah, go with 'The Crimson Idol'.

You forgot the same drum fills repeated over and over.

The more I think about it, the more I hold this to be true. Looking back I'm very surprised that Ultraboris rated it as high as it did. Most of his love was for Arena of Pleasure and Chainsaw Charlie, both of which are FUCKING AWESOME songs, but he also claimed that Ram It Down was the greatest Priest song of all time and that album didn't get higher than an 80.

undergroundrage
05-09-2010, 04:58 PM
I just want you to offer everyone here one shred of evidence that there's anyone who will not listen to something on the principle that it's mainstream, or perceived as mainstream. Hell, as far as I know, everyone here listens to Iron Maiden, and they're one the biggest corporations in music history!

You can't just say things. You have to defend them. Especially when they're completely fucking ridiculous.

It seems to me that bands that came out before the 90's are immune to the popular rule. It also seems to me that people who mostly listen to bands from before the 90's have the biggest problem liking anything current.

It seems to me that the biggest (current) bands in metal, are the most hated bands around here. And the most liked bands here are the one's that you have to really dig deep to even find or hear about, and that was my whole point to begin with. I'm not saying anyone here truly hates a (newer) band just because they are popular, but it sure does come off that way...a lot...

For the record, you can say whatever you want and there is no law that says you have to defend it. I usually always defend my opinions, but I choose not to with you because you and I will never agree about anything.

And also, I'm not a big fan of Iron Maiden. I'd never say they suck, but they really only have a half-dozen or so songs that I like. I do admit that I probably haven't even heard 75% of their music, but their sound doesn't jump out and grab me anyway. With that said, I'd still like to see them live and mostly to hear Run to the Hills, so we further disagree...

Wizzbang11
05-09-2010, 05:04 PM
That's too bad.

I suppose it's not as bad as half of Swansong, but I really cannot stand it.

Indestructible
05-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Rush
Dog years and the songs ive heard from the self titled

Metallica - All of st.anger,Aint my bitch 2X4

Iron maiden - Bring your daughter to the slaughter and holy smoke

Fear Factory - Back the fuck up

Crionics
05-09-2010, 05:10 PM
From my Top 5..
AC/DC- What Do You Do For Money Honney (I don't know why..just do)
Slayer- Americon, Most of God Hates Us All and Diablous in Musica
Megadeth- Most of Risk and The World Needs a Hero
Celtic Frost- Cold Fucking Lake, Danse Macabre, One In Their Pride, Tristesses De la Lune,
Death- None :tongue:

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 05:13 PM
Looking back I'm very surprised that Ultraboris rated it as high as it did

I've never agreed with anything he's ever said, so I'm not surprised in the least.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 05:15 PM
there is no law that says

I don't know why, but I always find the use of this term hilarious.

Indestructible
05-09-2010, 05:17 PM
Iron Maiden - Everything from iron maiden and killers when dickinson is not on vocals. and sanctuary. Dickinson or dianno the song still sucks.

JRA
05-09-2010, 05:20 PM
It seems to me that bands that came out before the 90's are immune to the popular rule. It also seems to me that people who mostly listen to bands from before the 90's have the biggest problem liking anything current.

The reason for that was before 1990 the music (metal) still had roots in rock & roll and melody, they weren't quite these grating blasts of noise that you had to place under a microscope and listen to 1000 times in order to discern alot of the notes. That's one reason why you never see "greatest rock albums of the 90's lists" and when you do, it's always bands like Slipknot and Limp Bizkit that make the cut instead of things like Cannibal Corpse and Mayhem. Obviously I prefer the latter two, but the fact is it's borderline impossible for the untrained ear to make out what they're playing, where as with Slipknot and Limp Bizkit, at least you can make out what they play, even if what they play sounds terrible.

I own a Cannibal Corpse DVD but own none of the albums. At the time I didn't like their music, but I found the story and the people charming, so sue me. Now, I've since come to know quite a few songs of theirs, but the fact is, when listening to the live clips, the songs I didn't know, just sounded like a wall of undicsernable noise. Sometimes I wonder if they're so caught up in playing that they actually hear what they play. Even when they came to a song I was familiar with, I could barely make it out because of the acoustics of it. All those instruments going at full blast just cancel each other out.

Now, obviously, I like extreme metal. I like Bathory, Morbid Angel, Death, Carcass, Mastodon, Children of Bodom (well they're loud enough to be extreme), Celtic Frost and Mayhem. I also really like Pantera, but there is no reason whatsoever for a thousand different Far Beyond Driven clones to be all over MTV, ruling the airwaves, and be what the modern day perception of metal is. They should be one out of five bands played in playlist.

And as a way to forgive myself for not speaking up and being afraid of debate, I have to call out a quote from someone at metal club (who shall remain nameless)

"I remember an interview from Dave Mustaine saying 'people don't play guitar solos anymore' and just thinking 'dude shut up it's not 1985 anymore.'"

Fuck you, Fuck you, Fuck You. Yes it is 1985, and it should always be 1985. Whenever some asshole like Mike Patton hears a band like Gamma Ray and goes "UGH, what year is it?" you go "it's 1985 motherfucker!" and give them a wedgie.

It should always be 1985 because....all the great metal bands of the 70's and early 80's have been playing like it's 1985 since 1975!!

I am speaking strictly for the low common denominator of metal. Yes there should be that 30% of metal bands that expanding the genre (in ways that don't involve hardcore or hip hop, I think we've had enough of that for two eternites), but there is no reason that any other third rate metal ensemble should not have a) a singing voice, b) a recognizable riff as a hook, and c) a guitar solo, or a pretty fucking sweet middle eight of more riffs and melodies (see: Kashmir, A Skull Full of Maggots, Jesus Christ Pose, Cold Gin).

powerslave_85
05-09-2010, 05:23 PM
Top 5 bands:

Sleater-Kinney: None that I hate, but I'm not a huge fan of "It's Enough."
Iron Maiden: Hooks In You, Can I Play With Madness, The Assassin, The Apparition, Drifter
Bad Religion: Two Babies In the Dark, I Love My Computer, most of the New Maps of Hell album.
The Clash: Can't really think of any. There's a lot of forgettable stuff on Sandinista, but nothing I hate.
Green Day: Give Me Novacaine, Extraordinary Girl, 99% of 21st Century Breakdown.

IrritatedTrout
05-09-2010, 05:31 PM
The reason for that was before 1990 the music (metal) still had roots in rock & roll and melody, they weren't quite these grating blasts of noise that you had to place under a microscope and listen to 1000 times in order to discern alot of the notes. That's one reason why you never see "greatest rock albums of the 90's lists" and when you do, it's always bands like Slipknot and Limp Bizkit that make the cut instead of things like Cannibal Corpse and Mayhem. Obviously I prefer the latter two, but the fact is it's borderline impossible for the untrained ear to make out what they're playing, where as with Slipknot and Limp Bizkit, at least you can make out what they play, even if what they play sounds terrible.

I own a Cannibal Corpse DVD but own none of the albums. At the time I didn't like their music, but I found the story and the people charming, so sue me. Now, I've since come to know quite a few songs of theirs, but the fact is, when listening to the live clips, the songs I didn't know, just sounded like a wall of undicsernable noise. Sometimes I wonder if they're so caught up in playing that they actually hear what they play. Even when they came to a song I was familiar with, I could barely make it out because of the acoustics of it. All those instruments going at full blast just cancel each other out.

Now, obviously, I like extreme metal. I like Bathory, Morbid Angel, Death, Carcass, Mastodon, Children of Bodom (well they're loud enough to be extreme), Celtic Frost and Mayhem. I also really like Pantera, but there is no reason whatsoever for a thousand different Far Beyond Driven clones to be all over MTV, ruling the airwaves, and be what the modern day perception of metal is. They should be one out of five bands played in playlist.

And as a way to forgive myself for not speaking up and being afraid of debate, I have to call out a quote from someone at metal club (who shall remain nameless)

"I remember an interview from Dave Mustaine saying 'people don't play guitar solos anymore' and just thinking 'dude shut up it's not 1985 anymore.'"

Fuck you, Fuck you, Fuck You. Yes it is 1985, and it should always be 1985. Whenever some asshole like Mike Patton hears a band like Gamma Ray and goes "UGH, what year is it?" you go "it's 1985 motherfucker!" and give them a wedgie.

It should always be 1985 because....all the great metal bands of the 70's and early 80's have been playing like it's 1985 since 1975!!

I am speaking strictly for the low common denominator of metal. Yes there should be that 30% of metal bands that expanding the genre (in ways that don't involve hardcore or hip hop, I think we've had enough of that for two eternites), but there is no reason that any other third rate metal ensemble should not have a) a singing voice, b) a recognizable riff as a hook, and c) a guitar solo, or a pretty fucking sweet middle eight of more riffs and melodies (see: Kashmir, A Skull Full of Maggots, Jesus Christ Pose, Cold Gin).

:wow::fist: This is one of the best posts I've ever read here, the bolded part especially. Much respect.

youngandaspiring
05-09-2010, 05:33 PM
Green Day: Give Me Novacaine, Extraordinary Girl, 99% of 21st Century Breakdown.
What 1% of 21st Century did you enjoy?

undergroundrage
05-09-2010, 05:34 PM

Um, I agree but I'm not sure if this really had much to do with what you quoted or if it was just you going on a rant.

When I speak of popular bands, by the way, I'm not even really talking about shit that is that popular (like SlipKnot), just popular metal. Like...Lamb of God, or Trivium, or Chimaira. Those bands are not understood by people who have an untrained ear, and they are also hated by most of the people here because they are looked upon as generic metal, and I just don't see it...all of those bands apply to your A,B,C rule, and yet they are still hated on this forum. Which is my point, they are popular metal, not underground metal like Lazarus AD (who I like), but the difference between them and Lazarus is really not that big. So I just assume the others are hated because they are popular, or something along those lines.

It seems like if something isn't super technical, that a lot of people here just can't like it.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 05:35 PM
I thought of some more:

Ozzy Osbourne - Here For You, Goodbye To Romance, No Bone Movies
Fozzy - Broken Soul
KISS - Got To Choose, Yes I Know (Nobody's Perfect), most of Destroyer except 'God of Thunder' and 'Detroit Rock City'

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 05:36 PM
but the difference between them and Lazarus is really not that big

You were doing OK until this point. I like all of those bands you mentioned, and Lazarus AD, but they're totally different :lol:

undergroundrage
05-09-2010, 05:37 PM
You were doing OK until this point. I like all of those bands you mentioned, and Lazarus AD, but they're totally different :lol:

Not really. Other than the fact that Trivium has clean vocals half the time.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 05:39 PM
Some similarities to Trivium, musically, perhaps. But not many. And to Chimaira and Lamb of God? Absolutely not.

And I take it back, I don't like all of the bands you mentioned because I don't like Trivium (apart from some of the 'Shogun' album). But the other two, definitely.

jerry1013
05-09-2010, 05:41 PM
I thought of some more:

Ozzy Osbourne - No Bone Movies

KISS - Got To Choose

BOO! :nonono:

As for me,

KISS - Odyssey, Tomorrow And Tonight
AC/DC - You Shook Me All Night Long (Always have hated this one, gave it another chance after ditching radio stations that weren't my own)
Alice Cooper - I Never Cry
Motley Crue - Smokin' In The Boys Room

I'll add more as I think of them....

JRA
05-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Um, I agree but I'm not sure if this really had much to do with what you quoted or if it was just you going on a rant.

Well it started off as me talking about why there is a lack of love for post 1990 and then it kind of evolved into a rant. :lol: :eyes:

For the record, I don't like Lamb of God or Chimara just because of the vocals. If Randy Blythe sang like Rob Halford I'd totally swing from their nuts. :D

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 05:42 PM
BOO! :nonono:

I thought you'd take greater offence at the 'Destroyer' bit ;)

KISS - Tomorrow And Tonight

Oh yes, this one too.

Alice Cooper - I Never Cry

Oh, I think that's one of his better ballads.

Motley Crue - Smokin' In The Boys Room

That's a cover, but yeah, it sucks.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 05:43 PM
Well it started off as me talking about why there is a lack of love for post 1990 and then it kind of evolved into a rant. :lol: :eyes:

:lol: All the best rants are an evolution :D

undergroundrage
05-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Some similarities to Trivium, musically, perhaps. But not many. And to Chimaira and Lamb of God? Absolutely not.

And I take it back, I don't like all of the bands you mentioned because I don't like Trivium (apart from some of the 'Shogun' album). But the other two, definitely.

Before this goes too far, I just used these bands as examples. I'm not really sitting here trying to compare those specific bands. They were just the first ones to pop in my head.

But you don't see anything similar between say (lazarus ad) Absolute Power or Who I Really Am when comparing it to (lamb of god) Choke Sermon or well I guess Chimaira is more slowed down, but either way these are all just off the top of my head. I didn't mean for the bands to be taken literally.

JRA
05-09-2010, 05:46 PM
'God of Thunder'

I actually don't like that song very much. They sound like they're trying to be Black Sabbath, but the production is just too light.

undergroundrage
05-09-2010, 05:47 PM
For the record, I don't like Lamb of God or Chimara just because of the vocals. If Randy Blythe sang like Rob Halford I'd totally swing from their nuts. :D

I accept that. I couldn't get into them for a long time for that same reason.

jerry1013
05-09-2010, 05:48 PM
I thought you'd take greater offence at the 'Destroyer' bit ;)

Well I do love the two you mentioned plus King, Flaming Youth, and Shout It Out Loud. The rest I could live without.

Oh yes, this one too.

Even at a young age the line "Take it in the cellar, let me be your fella" Just bothered me :lol:

jerry1013
05-09-2010, 05:50 PM
I actually don't like that song very much. They sound like they're trying to be Black Sabbath, but the production is just too light.

Don't see the Sabbath part, I do see a lot of (Sabbath influence on Hotter Than Hell - the album). But yes the production is too light...I also hate the kids singing on it.

undergroundrage
05-09-2010, 05:51 PM
I don't like Trivium (apart from some of the 'Shogun' album).

On this subject, if you get past the clean vocals check out their new song Shattering the Skies Above. The breakdown (at 2:11) is really...crazy. It doesn't sound like Trivium at all, but that may be the new drummer's death metal roots. The usual Trivium guitar (which is awesome to me) kicks in after 20 seconds or so, but if that's a sign of things to come, I'm excited about their new album.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 05:51 PM
Even at a young age the line "Take it in the cellar, let me be your fella" Just bothered me :lol:

:lol: It's the chorus for me. It sounds like it should be the theme tune to a Sunday morning toddler's TV show, with some twat in a puffy animal costume clapping along.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 05:53 PM
On this subject, if you get past the clean vocals

That's easy, I'd rather they used clean vocals all the time.

My opinion of them though was compounded by seeing them live supporting Slayer. Not only were they really quite poor, Heafy's attitude was that it was his show, not Slayer's, and he came across as a complete tool.

jerry1013
05-09-2010, 05:55 PM
:lol: It's the chorus for me. It sounds like it should be the theme tune to a Sunday morning toddler's TV show, with some twat in a puffy animal costume clapping along.

:lol:

xStructualDefect
05-09-2010, 05:56 PM
I agree with this, but I don't feel the need to dig 600 ft down to find a band. I think once you clear the top few layers off a genre, the rest just comes off as "I've already heard this", even if the band is good.

definently agree with this.

powerslave_85
05-09-2010, 06:11 PM
What 1% of 21st Century did you enjoy?"Murder City" and "Horseshoes and Handgrenades" are the only two songs I like.

undergroundrage
05-09-2010, 06:15 PM
That's easy, I'd rather they used clean vocals all the time.

My opinion of them though was compounded by seeing them live supporting Slayer. Not only were they really quite poor, Heafy's attitude was that it was his show, not Slayer's, and he came across as a complete tool.

Odd, most people hate their clean vocals.

Also odd, I've never seen them anything other than great live. :confused:

DethMaiden
05-09-2010, 06:17 PM

I am that nameless person and I stand behind it 100%. A band should not feel obligated to play guitar solos just because it's what's always been done. That Dave Mustaine interview also involved him saying "thank God for bands like Avenged Sevenfold and Trivium bringing back the guitar solo."

Leviathan has two guitar solos. Count 'em, two. The bluegrassy thing in Megalodon and the bit towards the end of Hearts Alive. That is all it needs.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 06:18 PM
Odd, most people hate their clean vocals.

That's because people fear change ;)

Also odd, I've never seen them anything other than great live. :confused:

I think they were having a really off night. They were really flat and frankly boring. And then on top of that most of the Slayer fans were getting on their back.

Heafy's response to that was not very good, and the fact that Slayer had to race through their set because some genius gave Trivium and Slayer the same time on stage didn't help.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 06:22 PM
I am that nameless person and I stand behind it 100%. A band should not feel obligated to play guitar solos just because it's what's always been done. That Dave Mustaine interview also involved him saying "thank God for bands like Avenged Sevenfold and Trivium bringing back the guitar solo."

Leviathan has two guitar solos. Count 'em, two. The bluegrassy thing in Megalodon and the bit towards the end of Hearts Alive. That is all it needs.

I agree that people shouldn't play solos for the sake of playing solos, I also agree that some songs don't need them at all, but I do think there are a few bands who intentionally avoid playing them because they think it's cool and edgy not to (and there are certainly a buttload of fans who agree). These bands are wrong.

And I think there are a lot of cases where it's been deemed unnecessary to put a solo in a song and clearly there was a need for one, or at least including one wouldn't have harmed the song.

DethMaiden
05-09-2010, 06:23 PM
I agree that people shouldn't play solos for the sake of playing solos, I also agree that some songs don't need them at all, but I do think there are a few bands who intentionally avoid playing them because they think it's cool and edgy not to (and there are certainly a buttload of fans who agree). These bands are wrong.

And I think there are a lot of cases where it's been deemed unnecessary to put a solo in a song and clearly there was a need for one, or at least including one wouldn't have harmed the song.

I'll take one good riff over ten competent solos every day of the week.

JRA
05-09-2010, 06:37 PM

re-read c) of my post.

DethMaiden
05-09-2010, 06:41 PM
re-read c).

I still don't think anything should be forced to fulfill certain requirements, even if you loosen up what those requirements are. There's entire subgenres of metal where 80% of the music wouldn't meet your requirements.

JRA
05-09-2010, 06:46 PM
but I do think there are a few bands who intentionally avoid playing them because they think it's cool and edgy not to (and there are certainly a buttload of fans who agree). These bands are wrong.

I also completely agree with this.

and just to completely drive the point home that even I think solos are unnecessary sometimes, my favorite Mercyful Fate song of all time would have been Nightmare, but there's that incredibly stupid Hank Shermann solo at the end. Up until 5:23 that song was perfect. But then I guess Hank was having low self-esteem that day and decided he need to put his personal "stamp" on it. Because of him rather than the song coming to a glorious ending, at 5 and half minutes, we have to sit through 40 seconds of Hank's wankery and for those 40 seconds, we're thinking "is it done yet? is it done yet? is it done yet? FINALLY its done." That is not how a song should end.

But regardless, that's an exception.

I still don't think anything should be forced to fulfill certain requirements, even if you loosen up what those requirements are. There's entire subgenres of metal where 80% of the music wouldn't meet your requirements.

and those subgenres should be played either extremely sparingly or not at all. Loosening up those standards and not forcing people to do certain requirements is how we got awful shit like Nirvana, Slipknot and Limp Bizkit.

TonyD
05-09-2010, 07:18 PM
Holy shit this thread blew up

DethMaiden
05-09-2010, 07:19 PM
and those subgenres should be played either extremely sparingly or not at all. Loosening up those standards and not forcing people to do certain requirements is how we got awful shit like Nirvana, Slipknot and Limp Bizkit.

a) Nirvana is actually good.
b) Alright, I'll stop listening to post-metal and post-rock, sludge, and black metal. Oops, there goes most of the new stuff I like.

ChildrenofSodom
05-09-2010, 07:33 PM

Are there any (good) metal bands that don't have drums?

The Green and Black
05-09-2010, 07:36 PM
Cathedral - Cats, Incense, Candles & Wine

Not familiar with this song, but I love, love, love the title, sounds like an enjoyable evening to me. :lol:

:lol: yes, all of these!

Additionally:

Overkill - Old School

Yes! Ugh! How could I have forgotten this one. Just edited my original post.

DethMaiden
05-09-2010, 07:36 PM

Genghis Tron off the top of my head. And Wolves in the Throne Room and Pig Destroyer don't have bass players. But that's all beside the point. I was referring more to song structure. If you say "a band needs to put a guitar solo in their song" you might as well be saying "a band needs to go verse/chorus/verse/chorus/bridge/chorus/end."

ChildrenofSodom
05-09-2010, 07:38 PM
I would like to bring up the opposite in of the argument, and say that Dragonforce plays enough solos so other bands don't have to. Jesus, go kill yourself, everyone in that band (and ZP).

JRA
05-09-2010, 07:44 PM
b) Alright, I'll stop listening to post-metal and post-rock, sludge, and black metal. Oops, there goes most of the new stuff I like.

and that stuff should be the 10% exception to the rule...not the rule itself.

The Green and Black
05-09-2010, 07:48 PM

This is a false statement.

Wizzbang11
05-09-2010, 08:13 PM
And Wolves in the Throne Room and Pig Destroyer don't have bass players.

Wolves in the Throne Room, at least live, do.

Sunn O))) is an awesome metal(ish) band that doesnt have drums.

...and I can't think of any DF songs that are ruined by solos, so I think they are just fine.

JRA
05-09-2010, 08:29 PM
With the obvious exceptions, that's just proof that rock music doesn't give a shit about Bass players.

powerslave_85
05-09-2010, 08:34 PM
I'm pretty sure most of Agoraphobic Nosebleed's stuff uses a drum machine.

Maiden33
05-09-2010, 08:42 PM
Alright, way too much went on here while I was at work - so to just make the two main points I want to:

1) The Crimson Idol is "repetitive" for a reason. It is a concept album. The "repetition" you people are bitching about are recurring musical themes. That's why songs have sections borrowed from one another, and when you piece it together with the story it all makes sense.
It's not even a legitimate comment when you realize that most of WASP's albums (especially every one following The Crimson Idol), is just about as repetitive but for no gain whatsoever. I think in terms of musical themes and story building through music - "The Crimson Idol" "got" it the way 95% of all bands who have ever made a concept album didn't. I think it is about 3,000 miles ahead of every other WASP album, including the overrated Headless Children.

2) @ Cameron: Your point was irrelevant because I never said I disliked Run to the Hills BECAUSE it is popular. I dislike it because it's a bad song. If a song not among Maiden's worst songs (at the very least, of the golden era) had been their big "hit", you wouldn't hear me bitching. I have no problem embracing a song when it WAS a hit, I just have a problem with shitty songs becoming hits and giving people a false impression of the band.

Maiden33
05-09-2010, 08:44 PM
This is a false statement.

Amen. Seriously, among my 5 most hated bands of all-time, and it has nothing to do with the whole "Durr grunge killed metal" crap.

Wizzbang11
05-09-2010, 08:50 PM

Plus 99% of cybergrind, noisecore etc. bands and all sorts of 1 man bands spanning tons of genres, like Satanic Warmaster and Toxic Holocaust.

Dextrimental
05-09-2010, 09:02 PM
Ill do my top bands:

PanterA: Good friends and a bottle of pills, Im rarely in the mood for most of reinventing the steel too.

Slayer: About half of Diabolus in Musica, and I wouldnt be shouting for much off Christ Illusion at any of their shows either.

Lamb of God: Not much really, nothin i hate by them!

Slipknot: Again noth much from them either.

pretty straight forward, no surprises, make of it what you will.

Maiden33
05-09-2010, 09:04 PM
Alright, time for me to actually submit some sort of a list:

Iron Maiden - Run to the Hills, The Assassin, and Prodigal Son. There's honestly a few more I considered, for how much I love Maiden, they sure have made some crap here and there.

Savatage - She's in love, Complaint in the System
Edguy - lavatory love Machine. It's not actually my least favorite Edguy song, it'd take a backseat to "Trinidad", but it fucks up an otherwise perfect and amazing record and badly needs to be taken out of their live set, fun though it may be.
Queensryche - Gonna Get Close to You. Obviously I'm not even considering post-Promised land Queensryche. The songs I do like would be a shorter list. But GGCTY is, IMO the only bad (hell, less than great) song Queensryche released through Mindcrime.

Dungeon - Traumatized. The only song across 4 absolutely awesome albums that I don't really enjoy.
Nocturnal Rites - Cuts like a Knife. My least favorite Noc song, and I don't even HATE it, I just think it's really overrated, and again, needs to be taken out of their live set.
Avantasia - Carry Me Over, Symphony of life
Dream Theater - This Dying Soul, Repentance, The Dark Eternal Night. Again, I could probably nominate another couple, as much as I love some DT, I really hate a few songs. They're pretty much all on Six Degrees, Train of Thought, and Systematic Chaos.
Primal Fear - Carniwar. Totally fucks up the otherwise amazing "Seven Seals". It's just silly.
Sonata Arctica - Broken. Yeah, only counting first 4 Sonata albums for the same reason as Queensryche.

That's all I got for now. I'm sure I've already pissed someone off.

undergroundrage
05-09-2010, 09:07 PM
Ill do my top bands:
Lamb of God: Not much really, nothin i hate by them!

Well I will add to the topic based on this.

Burn the Priest is horrible shit.

idrinkwine732
05-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Well I will add to the topic based on this.

Burn the Priest is horrible shit.

Ah, not enough breakdowns or core riffs in there?

The Green and Black
05-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Savatage - She's in love

I have to give you shit about this one, since it was Criss Oliva's favorite song to play live. Although I know it's the lyrics, that you don't like about it and not necessarily the guitar.

Avantasia - Symphony of life

I'm gonna have to edit my list again, and add Symphony of Life. What Kind of Love is close to getting an ad as well.

undergroundrage
05-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Ah, not enough breakdowns or core riffs in there?

Considering LOG isn't core, by any shape of imagination, this comment is really ridiculous.

But if you want a reason, the Randy was horrible on that album. His vocals have changed a lot over the years, for the better.

Uncle_Meat1940
05-09-2010, 09:56 PM
Ummm... :tp:

ChildrenofSodom
05-10-2010, 04:29 AM

Yeah, so do Genghis Tron. Point is, its still drums. I'm not really making an argument, just busting Brad's balls because he said bands shouldn't have to meet certain requirements, and I think drums are a requirement.

ChildrenofSodom
05-10-2010, 04:32 AM
Considering LOG isn't core, by any shape of imagination, this comment is really ridiculous.

But if you want a reason, the Randy was horrible on that album. His vocals have changed a lot over the years, for the better.

1) Incorrect statement.
2) You can polish a turd...

Nick_to_the_face
05-10-2010, 05:45 AM

Ya his vocals are kinda fucked on the burn the preist stuff, but the music is still good so i like some of it

xStructualDefect
05-10-2010, 05:48 AM

LOG is actually a bit core, but that statement was pretty ignorant. another lame bash on LOG.

as for the topic, i really can't think of any. i know i don't like a lot of songs by bands i love, but if that's the case i most likely don't like the album as a whole.

SomewhereInTime72
05-10-2010, 06:36 AM
Edguy - lavatory love Machine. It's not actually my least favorite Edguy song, it'd take a backseat to "Trinidad", but it fucks up an otherwise perfect and amazing record and badly needs to be taken out of their live set, fun though it may be.

I think this song fits fine in the live set, cuz it's damn fun... but you're right about fitting on Hellfire Club... it doesn't.

The Green and Black
05-10-2010, 07:18 AM
I think this song fits fine in the live set, cuz it's damn fun... but you're right about fitting on Hellfire Club... it doesn't.

This song needs to go. They have much better material that could be played in it's place. For example, The Savage Poetry and Theatre of Salvation albums are practically ignored anymore. Not to mention all we get from Mandrake is the title track. I could do without Lavatory Love Machine in the set, and just about everything off of Rocket Ride.

SomewhereInTime72
05-10-2010, 07:23 AM
If they replace it, it better be with something awesome, though. Like. Nailed To the Wheel. :bouville:

The Green and Black
05-10-2010, 07:25 AM
If they replace it, it better be with something awesome, though. Like. Nailed To the Wheel. :bouville:

I just hope they mix the set up, for the better. Otherwise, I have zero desire to ever go see them live again.

ravenheart
05-10-2010, 08:23 AM
Queensryche - Gonna Get Close to You

How the fuck did I miss this? Worst 'ryche song ever.

Dream Theater - This Dying Soul, Repentance, The Dark Eternal Night. Again, I could probably nominate another couple, as much as I love some DT, I really hate a few songs. They're pretty much all on Six Degrees, Train of Thought, and Systematic Chaos

There is nothing off Six Degrees or TOT I wouldn't want to see, although I have seen all of the best stuff off both at least once except maybe the whole title track from Six Degrees. TOT is easily my favourite DT album and I would go to several shows if they were going to play all of it on a tour.

Octavarium, on the other hand...

Primal Fear - Carniwar. Totally fucks up the otherwise amazing "Seven Seals". It's just silly.

Yeah, silly, but I certainly don't hate it. That is their best album though, and they don't play enough from it.

ravenheart
05-10-2010, 08:29 AM
1) The Crimson Idol is "repetitive" for a reason. It is a concept album. The "repetition" you people are bitching about are recurring musical themes. That's why songs have sections borrowed from one another, and when you piece it together with the story it all makes sense.
It's not even a legitimate comment when you realize that most of WASP's albums (especially every one following The Crimson Idol), is just about as repetitive but for no gain whatsoever. I think in terms of musical themes and story building through music - "The Crimson Idol" "got" it the way 95% of all bands who have ever made a concept album didn't. I think it is about 3,000 miles ahead of every other WASP album, including the overrated Headless Children.

Recurring musical themes are fine, but there's no need to be that blatant, that boring, and that uncreative with them. Some songs are basically exactly the same track just repeated all over again. They went beyond recurring themes with some of that stuff.

Seeing it live was painful for me. It was so boring I just kept wishing for the second half of the set to hurry up so I could hear some songs that sounded different, only for Blackie to cop out and play just four more tracks.

W.A.S.P. are one of my top five bands of all time and to not enjoy a show THAT much was pretty horrible.

At least it's not as dull as the 'Neon God' albums... and the story is quite as bad either.

'The Headless Children' is criminally underrated, by no means overrated at all. Half the fans love the cheesy first three albums so much that 'The Headless Children' barely registers, and the other half can't see past 'The Crimson Idol'.

For me, W.A.S.P. is:

The Headless Children
Unholy Terror
KFD
Dying For The World
Still Not Black Enough
The Rest
Babylon
Helldorado

The Green and Black
05-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Queensryche - Gonna Get Close to You

How the fuck did I miss this? Worst 'ryche song ever.

I actually like this one. :eyes:
It's creepy! haha

ravenheart
05-10-2010, 08:36 AM
It's creepy! haha

So's Geoff Tate with a bald head, but we can all do without that too ;)

The Green and Black
05-10-2010, 08:38 AM
So's Geoff Tate with a bald head, but we can all do without that too ;)

Now why did you have to go there? :lol:
You win! hahahahahahaha

Sanitarium78
05-10-2010, 08:40 AM
It's creepy! haha

I like it to mainly because of how creepy it is. I guess we're just weird:confused: Also, Ravenheart needs to know that the song wasn't written by Queensryche. It was a cover of a song written by someone named Lisa Dalbello. She originally recorded it for her own band. I have no clue who she is and have never heard the original version. I don't think a cover should count as a bands worst song. Honestly, Queensryche has written their fair share of awful crap since HITNF. Plenty of stuff to choose from there before i'd say anything about Gonna Get Close To You.

ravenheart
05-10-2010, 08:41 AM
Not familiar with this song, but I love, love, love the title, sounds like an enjoyable evening to me. :lol:

:lol: me too, but it really is a terrible song. And they only bloody added it to the current setlist too.

Yes! Ugh! How could I have forgotten this one. Just edited my original post.

You hate 'Old School' too? That makes literally two of us in the entire Overkill fanbase. Everyone else fucking loves it. "It's fun!", no, it's shit.

powerslave_85
05-10-2010, 09:46 AM
Iron Maiden - Prodigal SonForgot about this one. I can't hit the skip button fast enough.

DethMaiden
05-10-2010, 09:50 AM
Damn, I like Prodigal Son.

Maiden33
05-10-2010, 10:03 AM
@ Ravenheart: I guess this is just where difference of perspective comes into play, but literally every WASP fan I know aside from like 3 or 4 of them claim the Headless Children is their favorite WASP album.

ravenheart
05-10-2010, 11:13 AM
@ Ravenheart: I guess this is just where difference of perspective comes into play, but literally every WASP fan I know aside from like 3 or 4 of them claim the Headless Children is their favorite WASP album.

That's rare. Most say 'The Crimson Idol'.

powerslave_85
05-10-2010, 12:03 PM
I like Di'Anno's other slower songs, but that one's a stinker IMO.

Crionics
05-10-2010, 01:26 PM
To update everyone on the WASP debate, I decided i will take a listen to both The Headless Children and The Crimson (Fucking(Haha Dethmaiden lolz)) Idol. Will tell you guys what I think of em when I get around to it.

ravenheart
05-10-2010, 02:04 PM
To update everyone on the WASP debate, I decided i will take a listen to both The Headless Children and The Crimson (Fucking(Haha Dethmaiden lolz)) Idol. Will tell you guys what I think of em when I get around to it.

The anticipation is killing me :hecho: ;)

Crionics
05-10-2010, 02:26 PM
The anticipation is killing me :hecho: ;)

o shite, cause i might not get around it till the weekend..High school :mad:

SomewhereInTime72
05-10-2010, 02:33 PM
It's definitely better than a few other songs on Killers, I think.
:cool:

undergroundrage
05-10-2010, 02:45 PM
o shite, cause i might not get around it till the weekend..High school :mad:

yeah we all know high school life just sucks. Enjoy it man, you will miss that shit 10 years from now.

Derelict
05-10-2010, 02:49 PM
yeah we all know high school life just sucks. Enjoy it man, you will miss that shit 10 years from now.

I can honestly say i dont miss a single thing about high school

having money >>>>>>>>>>>> not having money

mastodon421
05-10-2010, 02:50 PM
Iron Maiden-entire Dance Of Death Album

Maiden33
05-10-2010, 02:53 PM

I am out of high school but have less money than ever. :(

:tp:

Really? Even Paschendale?

ravenheart
05-10-2010, 02:55 PM

Yep. Money rocks :D

ravenheart
05-10-2010, 02:55 PM

:(

I love that album.

mastodon421
05-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Paschendale isn't bad but I just really,really don't like that record.

Crionics
05-10-2010, 03:01 PM
Okay, so now 10 years from now I will tell yall if I liked high school better or life after it :lol:

undergroundrage
05-10-2010, 05:42 PM

the stresses of the 'real world' are way worse than those you have in high school. I'd rather be broke, asking my mom for money than deal with the shit we have to deal with as an adult. But thats way off topic so lets move on.

ravenheart
05-10-2010, 05:49 PM
I'd rather be broke, asking my mom for money than deal with the shit we have to deal with as an adult. But thats way off topic so lets move on.

Not me. But then, money does fix a great deal of things...

DethMaiden
05-10-2010, 05:51 PM
Not me. But then, money does fix a great deal of things...

Damn near everything if you ask me. Money can't buy me love, but love can't stop the IRS from knocking on my door either.

ravenheart
05-10-2010, 05:57 PM
Damn near everything if you ask me. Money can't buy me love, but love can't stop the IRS from knocking on my door either.

Amen to that.

That said, I do miss uni life. Imagine uni with money :eek:

DethMaiden
05-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Amen to that.

That said, I do miss uni life. Imagine uni with money :eek:

Imagine is all I can do. :lol: :snivel:

ChildrenofSodom
05-10-2010, 06:05 PM

Don't worry man, as technology advances the price of fleshlights is sure to fall.

Div
05-10-2010, 06:12 PM

i dont miss high school at all, but i will miss college life.

makethemsuffer12
05-10-2010, 06:16 PM
Don't worry man, as technology advances the price of fleshlights is sure to fall.

Or if you're really hardcore/antisocial, you can save up for one of these:

http://www.hammeruncut.com/pics/realdoll2.jpg

SomewhereInTime72
05-10-2010, 06:46 PM
Or if you're really hardcore/antisocial, you can save up for one of these:

http://www.hammeruncut.com/pics/realdoll2.jpg

Dude thats fucked up what the hell man

....ONE?

ChildrenofSodom
05-10-2010, 07:59 PM
As as I would love to have a Real Doll, I think i have a better chance of getting a girlfriend then saving enough money to buy, ship, and maintain one of those things.

evildeadjedi
05-10-2010, 08:01 PM
While listening to Blind Guardian I always have to skip the stupid Barbara Ann, Mr Sandman, and Surfing USA covers.

The Green and Black
05-10-2010, 08:33 PM
:lol: me too, but it really is a terrible song. And they only bloody added it to the current setlist too.

I had to look this one up! Wow! You are right, THAT is bad! :wtf:

You hate 'Old School' too? That makes literally two of us in the entire Overkill fanbase. Everyone else fucking loves it. "It's fun!", no, it's shit.

:lol: :lol: :lol: I wish they would stop playing it live. Why is it a staple of the live set now? I can't tell if it's because the band enjoys it, or if they are doing it for the fans, or what. But it needs to stop! Atleast you arent subjected to the live onstage antics of Eddie Trunk, doing his little voiceover thing from the album, where you are, unless he rolls his ass to England once in awhile. :eyes:

undergroundrage
05-10-2010, 08:55 PM

I agree, and I'm in the 'broke as fuck' category now. Money is something you never have to worry about in HS really. It's something you want, but not worry about.

but shit this topic went way out there. Sex dolls and shit now? :confused:

ravenheart
05-11-2010, 12:52 PM
While listening to Blind Guardian I always have to skip the stupid Barbara Ann, Mr Sandman, and Surfing USA covers.

If you want to talk horrible covers:

Susperia - Sun Always Shines On TV
HammerFall - My Sharona
Brainstorm - Amarillo

powerslave_85
05-11-2010, 02:10 PM
That said, I do miss uni life. Imagine uni with money :eek:Ha, no shit.

Crionics
05-13-2010, 05:13 PM
Listened to The Crimson Idol a few hours ago, and I thought it was pretty damn good. Will listen to The Headless Children soon :rocker:

ravenheart
05-14-2010, 08:00 AM
Listened to The Crimson Idol a few hours ago, and I thought it was pretty damn good. Will listen to The Headless Children soon :rocker:

You should like it. It has actual riffs.

Div
05-14-2010, 10:35 AM
pretty much everything off the nostradamus album

ravenheart
05-14-2010, 10:54 AM
pretty much everything off the nostradamus album

Prophecy > you.

The Green and Black
05-14-2010, 11:21 AM
Prophecy > you.

:lol: Glad you are back, missed you the past few days! ;)
How was 1/2 of KISS? Or KI? Or did you see SS?

makethemsuffer12
05-14-2010, 11:46 AM
Prophecy > you.

And the title track.

JRA
05-14-2010, 11:50 AM
Prophecy always sounded too much like "Some Heads Are Gonna Roll," which in turn sounded too much like "Green Manilishi." :lol:

ravenheart
05-14-2010, 12:43 PM
:lol: Glad you are back, missed you the past few days! ;)
How was 1/2 of KISS? Or KI? Or did you see SS?

Come now, there were only ever two people in KISS. We all know this to be true. And they were superb. Far better than the first time I saw them a couple of years ago in Denmark.

I was in Germany on Wednesday, so no internets :D

Crionics
05-14-2010, 06:01 PM
Well I listened to both albums. And I'd have to say as of right now, due to my current mood, I'd say their about both on par with eachother. But on any other day, I'd probably say The Headless Children is better. Great riffs, nice drumming, some fantastic solos. However I will say, I think the best track of the two is Chainsaw Charlie from The Crimson Idol.

Both are great though :rocker:

ravenheart
05-14-2010, 07:16 PM
Yeah, Charlie rocks... bit run-of-the-mill though, in the W.A.S.P. catalogue. Not as unique as some others.

Div
05-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Prophecy always sounded too much like "Some Heads Are Gonna Roll," which in turn sounded too much like "Green Manilishi." :lol:

i never noticed that.

shit, youre like the priest guru around here

TonyD
05-14-2010, 11:03 PM

Wow, never put those together, and Priest is one of my favorite bands. They all have a different feel but now that I listen to them I see what you mean.

youngandaspiring
05-18-2010, 06:38 AM
"Murder City" and "Horseshoes and Handgrenades" are the only two songs I like.
Wow, those are two of my least favourites. Horseshoes especially, sounds note for note like the Hives.

You didn't like East Jesus, Peacemaker, Gloria? I thought those were fine songs, but then again, I prefer latter day Green Day.