PDA

View Full Version : non-metal bands you like that people on here would give you shit for...

Travis The Dragon
05-09-2010, 12:16 AM
Do you dare to admit to these? WTF? What are ya gonna do? Hunt me down and kill me? To the haters!: :finger2: :D

Some of mine include:
Backstreet Boys
Adam Lambert
Vanilla Ice
Christina Angulara(sp)
Madonna
Culture Club
Duran Duran
Men At Work
MC Hammer

Well, there's a few. How about you?

Maiden33
05-09-2010, 12:24 AM
For the record: These topics never work out well on here. Any time any one tries to ask about "guilty pleasures", you get a couple of people who argue that you shouldn't have any guilty pleasures or "blah blah open-mindedness blah".

For the record:
I really like a lot of stuff by the Foo Fighters and the Goo Goo Dolls. Also, I like a couple of musicals - don't tell anyone. I like other non-metal stuff, but frankly I don't feel like Classical music should be a guilty pleasure.

The Green and Black
05-09-2010, 12:29 AM
Do you dare to admit to these? WTF? What are ya gonna do? Hunt me down and kill me? To the haters!: :finger2: :D

Some of mine include:
Backstreet Boys
Adam Lambert
Vanilla Ice
Christina Angulara(sp)
Madonna
Culture Club
Duran Duran
Men At Work
MC Hammer

Well, there's a few. How about you?

It's hard to define a guilty pleasure around here since everyone likes such different stuff as it is. Although nothing I like is quite as bad as what's on your list. :lol:

mankvill
05-09-2010, 12:39 AM
I have no guilty pleasures. I post Ben Folds setlists on here all the time because it's still better than melodic metalcore.

idrinkwine732
05-09-2010, 12:52 AM
I'm an enormous Muse fan, but I don't consider it a guilty pleasure. But my friends who are into metal give me shit about it all the time.

mankvill
05-09-2010, 12:52 AM
I'm an enormous Muse fan, but I don't consider it a guilty pleasure. But my friends who are into metal give me shit about it all the time.

Muse is fucking awesome and more heavy than most bands that pass for "metal" today.

idrinkwine732
05-09-2010, 12:55 AM
Muse is fucking awesome and more heavy than most bands that pass for "metal" today.

Songs like Knights of Cydonia and Stockholm Syndrome are so much heavier every one of the bands on the metaphorical metal fence.

mankvill
05-09-2010, 01:00 AM
Songs like Knights of Cydonia and Stockholm Syndrome are so much heavier every one of the bands on the metaphorical metal fence.

:light:

JuuKun
05-09-2010, 08:04 AM
Yeah, guilty pleasures blah blah open-mindedness, blah blah.

But, on topic: blink-182, Katy Perry, Avril Lavigne, and a bunch of musicals. Also more or less falls into that last one, but I've made no secret of my love for Disney movies & the music in them. Most days I'd rather drive and listen to, say, the Little Mermaid soundtrack than I would a metal band. Lot less likely to get a speeding ticket that way, too. :)

mastodon421
05-09-2010, 08:21 AM
Thirded on Muse they are incredible. For me I like a couple of strange bands like Vampire Weekend and Interpol.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm not sure about getting shit for them, so you tell me:

Paul Weller
Depeche Mode
Days of The New
Ray Wilson
Damian Wilson
Bon Jovi
Emma Rugg
Tinsley Ellis
Ten Years After
Montgomery Gentry
Bryan Adams
Whiskey Falls
Edwin McCain
Steve Morgan
The Lost Gecko
Oasis
Rose Hill Drive
Gov't Mule
Seasick Steve
The Planets
Pat Travers
The Quireboys
Brian Vander Ark
Stevei Ray Vaughan
Ricky Warwick
Hank Williams Jr.
Muddy Waters
Johnny Winter
Jon Amor
Badmagick
The Black Crowes
Bourbon Crow
The Highwaymen
Steve Von Till
Rob Tognoni
Scott Kelly
Oli Brown
Scott McKeown
Waylon Jennings
Willie Nelson
Bowes & Morley
Drive-By Truckers
The Duke
Soulsavers
Levon Helm
Aynsley Lister
Jace Everett
Danny Bryant
Simon McBride
Zac Brown Band
Joe Bonamassa
Van Zant
North Mississippi Allstars
Blackberry Smoke
John Mayall
Jason Fresta
The Hoax
Tony Joe White
Todd Wolfe
Scott Henderson
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Rory Gallagher
Luther Allison
Imperial Crowns
Indiginous
Robin Trower
Walter Trout
Little Freddie King
Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Richie Kotzen
Freddie King
Buddy Guy
Robert Johnson
Eric Gales
Michael Katon
Eric Sardinas
Michael Landau Group
Joanne Shaw Taylor
Live
Crosby Loggins
Lance Lopez
Blindstone

Maiden33
05-09-2010, 10:23 AM
I am one of those people who hates Muse. There are few bands on this planet I dislike more - but more than the music, it's the fans. More specifically Mike Portnoy-junkies who believe that somehow, Muse is a progressive rock band. Give me a fucking break. It's pop music. Maybe experimental, indie pop music at that - but it's pop music. Now I'm not saying pop music is necessarily a bad thing, but I can't stand people who try to pass it off for something it's not - and I hate that with any kind of music trying to be passed for anything else that it's not.

And yeah, I just don't get what people are talking about when they say they're "so heavy" - I mean, yeah, I've heard songs with riffs and heavy distorted guitars - but it still didn't really change the big picture for me.

Oh yeah, and I've spent so much time telling people that frankly I don't hear a lot of difference between Muse and bands like Coldplay and The Killers, and they all treated me like I was fucking crazy, so I looked at their last.fm page.
Artists similar to Muse:

Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, Coldplay, Radiohead, 30 Seconds to Mars, Keane, and The Arctic Monkeys.

Yes, but I'm the one who's crazy. :tp:

Uncle_Meat1940
05-09-2010, 10:29 AM
I *gags* agree

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 10:33 AM
I am one of those people who hates Muse. There are few bands on this planet I dislike more - but more than the music, it's the fans. More specifically Mike Portnoy-junkies who believe that somehow, Muse is a progressive rock band. Give me a fucking break. It's pop music. Maybe experimental, indie pop music at that - but it's pop music. Now I'm not saying pop music is necessarily a bad thing, but I can't stand people who try to pass it off for something it's not - and I hate that with any kind of music trying to be passed for anything else that it's not.

And yeah, I just don't get what people are talking about when they say they're "so heavy" - I mean, yeah, I've heard songs with riffs and heavy distorted guitars - but it still didn't really change the big picture for me.

More or less this, but Knights of Cydonia still rocks hard (and therefore Uprising by proxy because it's THE SAME FUCKING SONG).

But yeah, they are not heavy, they are not progressive, and even calling them a rock band only holds true from time to time. Experimental Indie Pop sounds like the most fitting description around. That's not to say they aren't good at what they do, clearly they are and I'm told they are excellent live, but the constant mis-labelling and desperate claims by indie pop fans to claim they're rock fans because they listen to Muse is pathetic.

idrinkwine732
05-09-2010, 10:56 AM

Oh yeah, and I've spent so much time telling people that frankly I don't hear a lot of difference between Muse and bands like Coldplay and The Killers, and they all treated me like I was fucking crazy, so I looked at their last.fm page.
Artists similar to Muse:

Franz Ferdinand, The Killers, Coldplay, Radiohead, 30 Seconds to Mars, Keane, and The Arctic Monkeys.

It's progressive to most of the listeners, which is where they get that label from. I agree with you, that label is pretty misplaced, but I still consider them a rock band, that occasionally change it around a bit.

evildeadjedi
05-09-2010, 11:27 AM
I'm not sure guess it depends on the person:

Social Distortion
Dixie Witch
Molly Hatchet
Johnny Cash
Hank Williams and Jr
The Outlaws
The Mashall Tucker Band
The Steve Miller Band
Minor Threat
Outkast
Willie Nelson
The Allman Brothers Band
Lynyrd Skynyrd
NWA
Cream
Johnny Paycheck
Kris Kristofferson
Neil Young
Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young
Jack Johnson
Leonard Cohen
Muddy Waters
The Charlie Daniels Band
Ekoostic Hookah
David Allan Coe
Uruah Heep
Joe Walsh
Dead Kennedys
Buffalo Springfield
BB King
Anti-Flag
Eric Clapton
Howlin Wolf
John Lee Hooker
Left Lane Cruiser
The Roots
Jurassic 5
Bob Dylan
De La Soul
Operation Ivy
Woody Guthrie
Rancid
Merle Haggard
The Vandals
2Pac
Fleetwood Mac
Shooter Jennings
Oingo Boingo
Depeche Mode
Duran Duran
The Talking Heads
The Ramones
A tribe Called Quest
Bob Marley
Peeping Tom
Loverage

idrinkwine732
05-09-2010, 11:46 AM
NWA

Yo Ren, tell em where your from

mankvill
05-09-2010, 11:49 AM
Yo Ren, tell em where your from

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ooarT3cn8_o

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 11:51 AM
Dixie Witch
Molly Hatchet
The Allman Brothers Band
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Left Lane Cruiser
Shooter Jennings

Yes, all of these. Although I didn't think including the southern bands and Shooter, who rocks hard, was necessary. But in case it is, also:

Honeytribe
Blackfoot
Preacher Stone
Freedom Hawk

evildeadjedi
05-09-2010, 12:08 PM
Yes, all of these. Although I didn't think including the southern bands and Shooter, who rocks hard, was necessary. But in case it is, also:

Honeytribe
Blackfoot
Preacher Stone
Freedom Hawk

It definitely depends on the person and in the case of me and you it's a lot of blues and regular rock bands (which you also named some I forgot).

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 12:29 PM
I just don't normally consider bands like Skynyrd when asked about non-metal tastes. They're so well-liked by metal fans I just don't think of them like that.

evildeadjedi
05-09-2010, 12:31 PM
I just don't normally consider bands like Skynyrd when asked about non-metal tastes. They're so well-liked by metal fans I just don't think of them like that.

I know some people who refuse to listen to anything not from at least the 90's. Very sad individuals they are.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 12:33 PM
I know some people who refuse to listen to anything not from at least the 90's. Very sad individuals they are.

The ones how annoy me are the ones who refuse to listen to any Skynyrd recorded after the plane crash.

Sanitarium78
05-09-2010, 12:49 PM
A quick scroll through my iPOD reveals the following non-metal artists:

Alter Bridge
Billy Joel
Bon Jovi (80s stuff only)
Collective Soul
Def Leppard
Huey Lewis & The News (first ever rock concert I went to when I was 9)
Meat Loaf
Our Lady Peace (old stuff)
The Rolling Stones
Rush (even though many metal fans like them, they're not metal)
The Tea Party
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers
"Weird" Al Yankovic
ZZ Top

evildeadjedi
05-09-2010, 12:51 PM
The ones how annoy me are the ones who refuse to listen to any Skynyrd recorded after the plane crash.

I don't refuse I just prefer the original line up but Van Zandt's brother certainly has some great pipes.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 01:27 PM

Alter Bridge
Def Leppard
Meat Loaf
The Rolling Stones
The Tea Party
ZZ Top

Lol, if we're going to start including rock bands in this then I could fill several pages :lol:

Uncle_Meat1940
05-09-2010, 01:48 PM
Non metal bands currently on my iPod (probably missed a couple since it was a single scroll-through.)

Al Di Meola
The Allman Brothers Band
Beardfish
Bela Fleck
Bill Keith
Bob Dylan
Camel
Chick Corea
Cornmeal
Courtney Pine
Django Reinhardt
Dumpstaphunk
Eloy
EOTO
Eric Clapton
Frank Zappa
Funkadelic
Gov't Mule
The Grateful Dead
Grobschnitt
Hot Buttered Rum
Jaco Pastorius
John McLaughlin
Langrene Birelli
Larry Adler
Lee Konitz
Leo Kottke
Les Claypool
Lotus
The Macpodz
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Michel Colombier
Mike Stern
Miles Davis
moe.
The New Mastersounds
Oysterhead
Papadosio
Parliament
Phish
Pink Floyd
Puscifer
Return to Forever
The Revels
Roine Stolt
Rush
S.M.V.
Secret Chiefs 3
STS9
Stanley Clarke
Tal Farlow
That 1 Guy
Tony Levin
Tony Trischka
Trampled by Turtles
Trey Anastasio
Victor Wooten
Weather Report
Yes

xStructualDefect
05-09-2010, 02:59 PM
i think everyone on this board has gotten the point awhile ago that Maiden33 hates Muse.

anyways:
Glassjaw
Incubus
Hoobastank (first album)
LMFAO
Papa Roach (first 2 albums)
Trapt (first 2 albums)
Yellowcard

and also A Day To Remember happens to be one of my favorite bands.

undergroundrage
05-09-2010, 03:05 PM
Most of the bands that fit into this category, I can't say that I necessarily 'like'. They just have anywhere between 1-10 songs I like. if that makes any sense. Oh and Limp Bizkit falls into that category for me, so shoot me now. It has more to do with the memories of better days that it brings back as opposed to anything else (and that could be said about any of the bands I'll mention when I scroll through the iPod later and reply). I know they suck, but I can't help but enjoy hearing those first two albums. Whatever. And I know it's coming, so fuck you too to anyone who laughs about it. :allan:

JRA
05-09-2010, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure about getting shit for them, so you tell me:

Paul Weller
Depeche Mode
Days of The New
Ray Wilson
Damian Wilson
Bon Jovi
Emma Rugg
Tinsley Ellis
Ten Years After
Montgomery Gentry
Bryan Adams
Whiskey Falls
Edwin McCain
Steve Morgan
The Lost Gecko
Oasis
Rose Hill Drive
Gov't Mule
Seasick Steve
The Planets
Pat Travers
The Quireboys
Brian Vander Ark
Stevei Ray Vaughan
Ricky Warwick
Hank Williams Jr.
Muddy Waters
Johnny Winter
Jon Amor
Badmagick
The Black Crowes
Bourbon Crow
The Highwaymen
Steve Von Till
Rob Tognoni
Scott Kelly
Oli Brown
Scott McKeown
Waylon Jennings
Willie Nelson
Bowes & Morley
Drive-By Truckers
The Duke
Soulsavers
Levon Helm
Aynsley Lister
Jace Everett
Danny Bryant
Simon McBride
Zac Brown Band
Joe Bonamassa
Van Zant
North Mississippi Allstars
Blackberry Smoke
John Mayall
Jason Fresta
The Hoax
Tony Joe White
Todd Wolfe
Scott Henderson
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Rory Gallagher
Luther Allison
Imperial Crowns
Indiginous
Robin Trower
Walter Trout
Little Freddie King
Paul Butterfield Blues Band
Richie Kotzen
Freddie King
Buddy Guy
Robert Johnson
Eric Gales
Michael Katon
Eric Sardinas
Michael Landau Group
Joanne Shaw Taylor
Live
Crosby Loggins
Lance Lopez
Blindstone

Meh, the worst from this bunch is Bon Jovi, and I probably wouldn't have as much contempt for them if there wasn't this faggot troll on Metal Sludge who worshipped them.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Meh, the worst from this bunch is Bon Jovi

You might not say that if you knew what certain individuals in that list sounded like... :lol:

IrritatedTrout
05-09-2010, 03:34 PM
Brad Paisley
Carrie Underwood
Taylor Swift
The Black Eyed Peas
Iyaz
Jason Derulo
Kid Cudi
Lady Gaga
Michael Jackson
Rick Astley
Akon
Jay Sean
Lil Jon
Lil Wayne
Snoop Dogg
T-Pain
Trey Songz
Young Money
James Horner

Usually just 1 song from each of them with a few exceptions like MJ and Carrie Underwood.

Edit: Plus all the stuff like Zep, Rainbow, Cooper, etc. that's not metal but is pretty close.

undergroundrage
05-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Ok so here we go, keep in mind most of these bands only have a few songs I like (some only have one), and I KNOW most of them (technically) suck dick. I created a 'special' folder on iTunes for crap like this, it's called 'random artists' and it rarely ever gets plays. But it's good for parties because everyone knows the songs in the folder.

Aerosmith
Alanis Morissette
Audioslave
Audiovent
Atreyu
Beautiful Creatures
The Black Crowes
Blindside
Blind melon
Blur
Bob Marley
Breaking Benjamin
Bush
Cage the Elephant
Coal Chamber
Cold
Coldplay
Collective Soul
Creed
Crossfade
Damian Marley
Dope
Dropkick Murphys
Drowning Pool
Dry Kill Logic
Earshot
Endo
Evanescence
Everlast
Filter
Finger Eleven
Flaw
Flyleaf
Foo Fighters
Fuel
Godsmack
Goo Goo Dolls
Gorillaz
Green Day
Helmet
Hole
Hollywood Undead
Hoobastank
Incubus
Jet
Johnny Cash
Kid Rock
Lacuna Coil
Lenny Kravitz
Linkin Park
Live
Lords of Acid
Memento
Nickelback
Nine Inch Nails
Nirvana
No Doubt
No Warning
Nonpoint
Nothingface
Oasis
The Offspring
Our Lady Peace
Orgy
Payable On Death (P.O.D)
Papa Roach
Pearl Jam
Powerman 5000
The Presidents of the USA
Prodigy
Project 86
Puddle of Mudd
Pulse Ultra
RA
REM
Rise Against
Saliva
Seether
Sevendust
Shinedown
Smashing Pumpkins
Snot
Spineshank
Staind
Stone Sour
Stone Temple Pilots
Sublime
Taproot
Temple of the Dog
Three Days Grace
Tonic
Train
Trans Siberian Orchestra
U2
Velvet Revolver
Weezer
The White Stripes
3 Doors Down
30 Seconds to Mars
40 Below Summer

Man, that's the biggest list of radio friendly shit I have wrote in awhile. I also have a 'Rap' folder, an 'I Love The 80s' folder and a 'Classic Rock' folder, but I don't think I will get nearly as much shit for what's in those than what's in this one. You could say I never delete anything, ever. All that music combine really only takes up about 5% of my iTunes, so whatever...flame on...

Oh, here is a band I really like that I'll get shit for - Chevelle, and another - Red Hot Chili Peppers

Wizzbang11
05-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Irritated Trout- do you un-ironically like Rick Astley?

IrritatedTrout
05-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Irritated Trout- do you un-ironically like Rick Astley?

Not really. I enjoy Never Gonna Give You Up but if it hadn't got big the way it did I'm not sure I'd enjoy it the way I do now.

Indestructible
05-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Nothing im ashamed off. Other metal fans probaly listen to these bands

Billy Joel(Loved Billy Joel since I was 4 or 5 and will never change)
Bon Jovi(all i have in my ipod is new jersey and slippery when wet. The few songs ive heard from those albums arent bad)

Green Day(Punk fans give people shit for liking green day. i wonder how much shit ill get here)

Huey Lewis And The News(Sports is a great album)

Public Enemy(I might get shit for this but atleast its real rap with meaning)

Tears for fears(I have a greatest hits in my ipod havent listened to it all yet but Everybody wants to rule the world and shout are good songs)

youngandaspiring
05-09-2010, 05:38 PM

Artists similar to Muse:

Define progressive, and then we'll see if Muse fit the criteria.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 05:40 PM
Define progressive, and then we'll see if Muse fit the criteria.

It doesn't mean making songs in lots of different styles with lots of different sounds... which is what Muse do. Quite well, actually.

youngandaspiring
05-09-2010, 05:41 PM
It doesn't mean making songs in lots of different styles with lots of different sounds... which is what Muse do. Quite well, actually.
I disagree with that, but let's assume it to be true. Fine, you've defined what progressive rock isn't. That doesn't help.

jerry1013
05-09-2010, 05:45 PM
Bon Jovi
Def Leppard
Meat Loaf
The Rolling Stones
"Weird" Al Yankovic
ZZ Top

I second these...

I dig Miley Cyrus :eyes:

And Journey! :party:

jerry1013
05-09-2010, 05:46 PM
Oh yeah, I went through a Nickelback phase.

I still like some of the early stuff.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 05:48 PM
I disagree with that, but let's assume it to be true. Fine, you've defined what progressive rock isn't. That doesn't help.

I'll leave this to Maiden33. He probably cares more than I do.

I'm still sticking with what Muse does is no more than "varied".

youngandaspiring
05-09-2010, 05:54 PM
I'll leave this to Maiden33. He probably cares more than I do.

I'm still sticking with what Muse does is no more than "varied".
I'm just going to be lame and take the wikipedia definition as truth.

"Progressive rock bands pushed "rock's technical and compositional boundaries" by going beyond the standard rock or popular verse-chorus-based song structures. The Oxford Companion to Music states that progressive rock bands "...explored extended musical structures which involved intricate instrumental patterns and textures and often esoteric subject matter."[3] Additionally, the arrangements often incorporated elements drawn from classical, jazz, and world music. Instrumentals were common, while songs with lyrics were sometimes conceptual, abstract, or based in fantasy. Progressive rock bands sometimes used "concept albums that made unified statements, usually telling an epic story or tackling a grand overarching theme." [2] Progressive rock developed from late 1960s psychedelic rock, as part of a wide-ranging tendency in rock music of this era to draw inspiration from ever more diverse influences. The term was initially applied to the music of bands such as King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Soft Machine, and Emerson, Lake & Palmer,[2] and reached its peak of popularity in the mid 1970s."

To fit in with the idea of intricate instrumental patterns and textures, I give you Butterflies and Hurricanes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hucz0qsXEUQ

To give esoteric subject matter, Thoughts of a Dying Atheist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OsNr5mCeWYA

For epic storyline, Exogenesis.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ZD0yp-E0rw

Actually, the song Exogenesis could be seen as a microcosm of Muse - 13 minutes long, symphonic classical elements, time signature changes, long instrumental sections, lyrics about goodness knows what, the list goes on.

Point being, if I wanted to define Muse as prog rock, nothing can stop me from doing it. Which ultimately makes music genres somewhat pointless, which makes this debate pointless. Why I brought it up, I don't know, studying for finals is lame.

jerry1013
05-09-2010, 05:56 PM
I'll add The Who too my list.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 05:58 PM
Roine Stolt

Wall Street Voodoo :drool:

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm just going to be lame and take the wikipedia definition as truth.

:lol:

Point being, if I wanted to define Muse as prog rock, nothing can stop me from doing it.

The correct way to do this is "there's no law to say I can't..." :lol:

I will accept your examples, for sure. I'm not going to listen to them because I've sampled more than enough Muse to know I don't like them. However, a few examples of progressive songs doesn't make them a progressive band. The vast majority of their catalogue seems to me to be 3-5 minute pop songs. That's not to say it's not possible to be progressive even in a five minute song, but most of the time they aren't.

So they may very well be capable of, and willing to, make some progressive songs, but they are not a progressive band if they spend 90% of their time not making progressive songs.

I'd certainly like to see them make a properly progressive album. That would be kinda fun.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 06:04 PM
I am not using the word progressive again after this post for at least a couple of days. I think I've used up my quota.

undergroundrage
05-09-2010, 06:06 PM

The correct way to do this is "there's no law to say I can't..." :lol:

This is funny, and I wonder if anyone other than you and I really know why.

ravenheart
05-09-2010, 06:11 PM
This is funny, and I wonder if anyone other than you and I really know why.

I'm just glad you picked up on it ;)

SomewhereInTime72
05-09-2010, 06:17 PM
Too many to even begin...

Uncle_Meat1940
05-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Wall Street Voodoo :drool:

We've been agreeing too much lately. haha

Indestructible
05-09-2010, 06:29 PM
I might get shit for Shinedown and Three Days Grace because of how mainstream they are.

Natrlhi
05-09-2010, 07:12 PM
First of all, there are a bunch of bands mentioned here that really shouldn't be, because many metal fans either like them straight up, or at least wouldn't give anybody shit about liking them...Ravenheart or someone else mentioned Lynyrd Skynrd, I think - I saw a bunch of hard rock legends mentioned such as Led Zeppelin, The Who, Rush, etc. - ya know, stuff like that. Nobody's giving you shit about those - they're just "non-metal" bands you like, but they don't really fit this thread. The only reason I make this clarification is not to give anybody grief for posting those band names, but because the next list of bands I'm going to post don't fit into that category. You'll see what I mean in a second...just bear with me.

So, I'm taking a different approach to this thread, just to try and make for an interesting post. If it doesn't work out that way...oh well, I tried. :eyes:

Bands who have been posted in this thread so far, that if anybody gives you shit for listening to them, let me know and I will kick their ass and let you watch for free:
Collective Soul
Muse
Live
Depeche Mode
The White Stripes
U2
NWA
Bob Marley
Bela Fleck
Secret Chiefs 3
STS9
Les Claypool (or any of his numerous incarnations)
The Prodigy
Filter
Nine Inch Nails
Public Enemy

The Green and Black
05-09-2010, 07:19 PM

Artists similar to Muse:

:party::party::party: Well said!

I fucking HATE Muse as well. Overrated and have no business being in the category with anything Rock, Metal, or Progressive.

DethMaiden
05-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Not sure how Muse isn't even "rock." Feel free to say they aren't metal or prog, because they're not. But they're definitely rock...or else I'm not totally sure what rock is.

The Green and Black
05-09-2010, 07:22 PM

"Weird" Al Yankovic

Yes! :lol:
I love Weird Al. I have even seen him in concert! :eyes:

Natrlhi
05-09-2010, 07:23 PM
:party::party::party: Well said!

I fucking HATE Muse as well. Overrated and have no business being in the category with anything Rock, Metal, or Progressive.

Didn't you read my post? Now I have to beat up a girl!

Oh, wait...you didn't give anybody shit for listening to them (at least not yet). Shoosh. ;)

Uncle_Meat1940
05-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Yes! :lol:
I love Weird Al. I have even seen him in concert! :eyes:

Haha I'm seeing him in the next couple months

DethMaiden
05-09-2010, 07:24 PM
Didn't you read my post? Now I have to beat up a girl!

Oh, wait...you didn't give anybody shit for listening to them (at least not yet). Shoosh. ;)

NAT'S COMING TO CLUTCH IN TOLEDO! :party: :party:

See you there, man!

Natrlhi
05-09-2010, 07:28 PM
NAT'S COMING TO CLUTCH IN TOLEDO! :party: :party:

See you there, man!

I'm hoping to come to Clutch in Toledo. :snivel: :fingerscrossed:

EDIT: If it works out, we have to get pancakes this time. ;)

The Green and Black
05-09-2010, 07:28 PM
Not sure how Muse isn't even "rock." Feel free to say they aren't metal or prog, because they're not. But they're definitely rock...or else I'm not totally sure what rock is.

Meh, I always thought of them more of a pop band. Rock is a term used too loosely anymore, it seems. I'll give you Pop-Rock for Muse, but that's as far as I'm going. Hell, there are people who consider Madonna Rock, so this is why I don't like titles, genres, sub genres etc.

Maiden33
05-09-2010, 09:15 PM

I'm OK with calling Muse a Pop/Rock band, but not a rock band on it's own. I mean, I wouldn't get mad at someone for doing it, but I don't agree. Pop music isn't just one thing - I've heard music from pure pop artists that is actually heavier than some Muse, but no one gets a bug up their ass about calling it Pop/Rock instead of just Pop.

bt11763
05-09-2010, 09:24 PM
a-hem. ^^^^

300%_Density
05-10-2010, 03:36 PM
Haha not sure if they count or not but I can listen to Deadsy's "Commencement" album front to back. I don't know why necessarily but god I love that album. I suppose it's "non-metal".

Div
05-10-2010, 03:40 PM
Opeth

ravenheart
05-10-2010, 03:41 PM
Live
Depeche Mode

:D

Don't care about any of the rest.

ravenheart
05-10-2010, 03:41 PM
I might get shit for Shinedown and Three Days Grace because of how mainstream they are.

Shinedown rock. Well, they do now. Didn't care for them much before the newest album.

Three Days Grace do not ;)

ravenheart
05-10-2010, 03:42 PM
Too many to even begin...

I would have said the same if I'd realised we were including rock bands ;)

Div
05-10-2010, 03:45 PM
shinedown's cover of 'simple man' was good, otherwise... :eyes:

ravenheart
05-10-2010, 04:05 PM
shinedown's cover of 'simple man' was good, otherwise... :eyes:

There are some great tracks on the newest disc. Some proper southern groove in there. Before that, lame pop-rock.

mankvill
05-10-2010, 04:21 PM
DEVOW-WAH

DEVOW-WAH

SUFFOCATE YOAH FINAL OW-WAH

b_halperin
05-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Just a few scrolling through my itunes.. Not sure whether or not you guys have grudges against the following, but many metalheads probably don't like them.

Gnarls Barkley
Modest Mouse
Smashing Pumpkins
Fishbone
MGMT
The Killers
Gorillaz
Rise Against
Old Green Day
The Shins
Old Weezer
The Offspring
Pennywise

The Green and Black
05-10-2010, 08:59 PM
My favorite non metal band!

http://www.therealmusician.com/images/eric-cartman-faith-plus-one.jpg

Uncle_Meat1940
05-10-2010, 09:01 PM
:party:

mankvill
05-10-2010, 10:42 PM
Gnarls Barkley
Modest Mouse
Gorillaz
Old Green Day
The Shins
Old Weezer
Pennywise

These are all really good and I'm proud of you, son.

rjturtle9
05-10-2010, 10:49 PM
My favorite non metal band!

http://www.therealmusician.com/images/eric-cartman-faith-plus-one.jpg

Didn't see that one coming.

bt11763
05-10-2010, 11:12 PM
I'm a free bitch, baby

powerslave_85
05-10-2010, 11:41 PM
*posts entire iTunes library*

Actually, I think the only thing in there that anyone here would be particularly surprised by is Kelly Clarkson. It's not something I listen to on a regular basis, but she has a great voice and some really catchy songs, so whatever.

Maiden33
05-10-2010, 11:43 PM
*posts entire iTunes library*

Actually, I think the only thing in there that anyone here would be particularly surprised by is Kelly Clarkson. It's not something I listen to on a regular basis, but she has a great voice and some really catchy songs, so whatever.

No shame in admitting this: I'd rather listen to Kelly Clarkson than a lot of the metal people around here listen to. :eyes:

powerslave_85
05-10-2010, 11:45 PM
I'd sure as shit listen to her before Lady Gaga (though I'll concede that Gaga is an entertaining performer).

youngandaspiring
05-10-2010, 11:50 PM
I'm a free bitch, baby
:fist:

bt11763
05-11-2010, 12:09 AM
I'd sure as shit listen to her before Lady Gaga (though I'll concede that Gaga is an entertaining performer).

:nonono:

fuck kelly clarkson, that bitch has no sense of syncopation whatsoever, and her voice is shitty and generic at its best.

Maiden33
05-11-2010, 01:10 AM
fuck kelly clarkson, that bitch has no sense of syncopation whatsoever, and her voice is shitty and generic at its best.

:tp:
I wouldn't even give this a second thought if I didn't know you wanted to blow Lady Gaga.

Fe Maiden
05-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Styx
Journey
REO Speedwagon
Yanni
Def Leppard
Yes
Moody Blues
Santana

And a shitload of others!

bt11763
05-11-2010, 12:54 PM
:tp:
I wouldn't even give this a second thought if I didn't know you wanted to blow Lady Gaga.

jealous? :D

ravenheart
05-11-2010, 12:58 PM
No shame in admitting this: I'd rather listen to Kelly Clarkson than a lot of the metal people around here listen to. :eyes:

That's because you're only a pretend metal fan ;)

mastodon421
05-11-2010, 02:46 PM
In addition to what I posted earlier I listen to a pretty good amount of rap. Mostly old-school and underground but I am really not ashamed of any of it so I did not post it.

I am also a fan of A Day To Remember and Incubus which is pretty shameful

larvtard
05-11-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm confused; didn't the title say 'bands that people would give you shit for'? most of the bands that have been posted here are legit/great classic rock bands or hip hop groups IMO

The only band I can think of for me, though, is Limp Bizkit

I've been a huge fan of them since like the 6th grade. I admit they do suck and Fred Durt's a wigger douche, but I still [somewhat] love them...

makethemsuffer12
05-11-2010, 04:13 PM
In addition to what I posted earlier I listen to a pretty good amount of rap. Mostly old-school and underground but I am really not ashamed of any of it so I did not post it.

http://eastanyhow.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/mom3.jpg

bt11763
05-11-2010, 04:19 PM

WHO THE FUCK THINKS INCUBUS IS SHAMEFUL

JuuKun
05-12-2010, 07:40 PM
Oh, yeah, how did I forget this the first time around

http://www.lkwdpl.org/potters/potterslogo.jpg

The Green and Black
05-12-2010, 08:14 PM
WHO THE FUCK THINKS INCUBUS IS SHAMEFUL

Me!

Maiden33
05-12-2010, 08:52 PM
I have a feeling there might be some confusion here as there are multiple bands with the name Incubus.

TonyD
05-12-2010, 08:59 PM
Gentle Giant?

bt11763
05-12-2010, 09:19 PM
Me!

http://reactionface.com/index.php?q=/image/2183.jpg

b_halperin
05-12-2010, 10:00 PM
the thrash band incubus is tight

bt11763
05-12-2010, 10:20 PM
i wasn't even aware of there being multiple incubii :eyes:

mastodon421
05-13-2010, 04:36 AM

I know I know they make catchy music that I find enjoyable.

xStructualDefect
05-13-2010, 05:01 AM

there is no shame in liking ADTR and Incubus. yeah sure ADTR has a lot of breakdowns and they're poppy, but they're also a lot fun to listen to. i used to hate them a 2 years ago but then i saw them live and it changed my mind. they are A LOT of fun live, i wasn't really a fan when i saw them but i had more fun seeing them than seeing most metal bands i love. they're actually one of my most listened to bands now.

as for Incubus, they may be really mainstream, but that doesn't mean anything. they're a great band. i've been a big fan since '02 or '03.

The Green and Black
05-13-2010, 07:44 AM
http://reactionface.com/index.php?q=/image/2183.jpg

That really made me laugh, like a lot! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Epidemic Reign
05-14-2010, 09:22 AM
I like a lot of bands that aren't metal, but I think the only one that might be considered shameful is The Birthday Massacre.

JudasPriest89
06-12-2010, 12:38 PM
The Beatles
The Rolling Stones
Muse
Bob Marley
Bob Dylan
Bon Jovi
Fleetwood Mac
Cheap Trick
B.B. King
Buddy Guy
Tina Turner
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Molly Hatchet
Counting Crows
Aerosmith
Elton John
Billy Joel
Joe Bonamassa
The Sweet
Mott The Hoople
T.REX
etc, etc

InPatient5100
06-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Alice in Chains and Soundgarden for me!

b_halperin
06-12-2010, 02:29 PM
Alice in Chains and Soundgarden for me!

i dont think anyone would give you shit for those here.

elturtleboy
06-12-2010, 05:55 PM
Dr.Acula
Green Day
Job For A Cowboy
The Prodigy
Korn/Disturbed/some nu metal
Sepultura with the new guy
Alkaline Trio
Linkin Park
Gwen Stafani/No Doubt
Unwritten LAw
Adam And The Ants
The Casualties
DEVO:dance:
Glassjaw
Hole
Moby
a lot of 80s new wave

elturtleboy
06-12-2010, 05:57 PM
Just a few scrolling through my itunes.. Not sure whether or not you guys have grudges against the following, but many metalheads probably don't like them.

Fishbone

:party:

JLRedWing13
06-12-2010, 07:35 PM
For the record:
I really like a lot of stuff by the Foo Fighters and the Goo Goo Dolls. Also, I like a couple of musicals - don't tell anyone. I like other non-metal stuff, but frankly I don't feel like Classical music should be a guilty pleasure.

Those are two of my favorite bands....you have earned more respect from me. :D

I don't have any guilty pleasures, really. I listen to a lot of non-metal.

JLRedWing13
06-12-2010, 07:45 PM
Oh, and Muse is one of my favorite bands too, and I find them hard to categorize. They have their poppy songs, and they have their rock songs. Not progressive though. I do think that if you don't like a band because of their fans, you should give it an honest listen anyway.

Muse's live show is definitely one of the best I've ever seen, too.

InPatient5100
06-12-2010, 11:58 PM
This one kid I new considered Muse "metal"

Derelict
06-13-2010, 01:42 AM
This one kid I new considered Muse "metal"

Cool
story
bro

InPatient5100
06-13-2010, 03:14 AM
but then for sum reason they were telling me Chimaira is not metal

InPatient5100
06-13-2010, 05:46 AM
I like all those bands as well!

maidenpriest
06-14-2010, 02:39 PM
hmm..non metal on my ipod

Alter Bridge
Shinedown
Seether
Breaking Benjamin
Lady Gaga
Michael Jackson
Def Leppard
Journey
Bon Jovi
a bunch of musicals
Foo Fighters
Muse
Neil Young
Fleetwood Mac
some Beatles lol
Bush
Credence Clearwater Revival
Evanescence
Golden Earring
Nickelback
Oasis
Pearl Jam
Puddle of Mudd
Queen
Rush
Scorpions
Soundgarden
STP
Nirvana
Kansas
Yes
Emerson, Lake and Palmer
Cream
Led Zeppelin
U2
Whitesnake
3 Doors Down
Hoobastank
Aerosmith
Elton John
Incubus
Green Day (pre American Idiot for the most part)
The Who
Foreigner

InPatient5100
06-14-2010, 03:01 PM
I also Maroon 5 and Foo Fighters on mine hehe

youngandaspiring
06-14-2010, 04:36 PM
I am actually in love with Kesha's track 'Take it Off'. I've been listening to so much pop music it's crazy...

Natrlhi
08-19-2010, 09:28 AM
I am actually in love with Kesha's track 'Take it Off'. I've been listening to so much pop music it's crazy...Ke$ha represents many things that people don't like about pop these days. She's auto-tuned to the bejeezus. She's more slutty than she should be for her age, and certainly for her target demographic. Many people on here despise her and / or her work immensely, and to tell you the truth, I can understand some of that.

That said, I can't seem to get enough of her song "Your Love Is My Drug". That joynt is just so damn catchy it just makes me fucking sick (and at the same time, I just seem to want more and more). It's a perfect pop song - it's quite simply addicting and unforgettable, and it makes you want to dance. Her performance of that song on SNL (http://thehypefactor.com/kesha-performing-tik-tok-and-your-love-is-my-drug-live-on-saturday-night-live/) a few months ago was pretty cool, too - what with the fluorescent body paint and all.

Indestructible
08-19-2010, 09:29 AM
Garth Brooks

xStructualDefect
08-19-2010, 11:07 AM
add Four Year Strong to my list. they've become one of my new favorite and most listened to bands in the past few months. the heavy pop punk bands with a lot of hardcore influence have been attracting to me lately.

Indestructible
08-19-2010, 11:12 AM
I like Huey Lewis and The News and Tears For Fears. You cant go wrong listening to walking on a thin line or the power of love(Huey Lewis) and Everybody wants to Rule the world(tears for fears)

evildeadjedi
08-19-2010, 12:47 PM
I like many 80's one hit wonders and such.

Natrlhi
08-19-2010, 12:50 PM
I like many 80's one hit wonders and such.
:agree: Guilty.

powerslave_85
08-19-2010, 03:15 PM
Ke$ha represents many things that people don't like about pop these days. She's auto-tuned to the bejeezus. She's more slutty than she should be for her age, and certainly for her target demographic. Many people on here despise her and / or her work immensely, and to tell you the truth, I can understand some of that.

That said, I can't seem to get enough of her song "Your Love Is My Drug". That joynt is just so damn catchy it just makes me fucking sick (and at the same time, I just seem to want more and more). It's a perfect pop song - it's quite simply addicting and unforgettable, and it makes you want to dance. Her performance of that song on SNL (http://thehypefactor.com/kesha-performing-tik-tok-and-your-love-is-my-drug-live-on-saturday-night-live/) a few months ago was pretty cool, too - what with the fluorescent body paint and all.
Plus, that picture leaked of her covered in some dude's baby batter, so, um...there's that.

JRA
08-19-2010, 03:20 PM
Kesha is music for rich cunts, by rich cunts.

So is the music of the Millionaires

mankvill
08-19-2010, 03:24 PM
Ke$ha and Katy Perry have both made literally some of the worst music ever. I mean, it's the kind of music that corrupts cultures and is completely devoid of talent. I'm absolutely 100% confident that Suicide Silence, Insane Clown Posse, Masonna and John Cage's "4'33" have more talent than "California Gurls" and "Your Love Is My Drug"/"Take It Off".

The only difference is that Katy Perry is actually attractive.

Crionics
08-19-2010, 03:45 PM
I like Huey Lewis & The News..but I don't feel guilty listening to him :confused:

InPatient5100
08-19-2010, 03:56 PM
I like Huey Lewis & The News..but I don't feel. guilty listening to him :confused:

American Psycho?

makethemsuffer12
08-19-2010, 04:44 PM
So is the music of the Millionaires

lets get fuked up
giv me my alcoholllll

InPatient5100
08-22-2010, 03:33 AM
Would you guys consider Ozzy non-metal?

ShatteredFlame
08-22-2010, 09:18 AM
I don't even think most of you consider half the stuff I listen to is metal. http://www.last.fm/user/ShatteredFlame

But yeah I don't even consider myself a metalhead at all nor would I like to be

InPatient5100
08-23-2010, 05:51 PM
I don't even think most of you consider half the stuff I listen to is metal. http://www.last.fm/user/ShatteredFlame

Yeah man, ur def not a metal-head.

JRA
08-23-2010, 07:03 PM

You have a real life portrait of one of the koopa kids as your avatar, so you've got that going for ya.

Natrlhi
08-24-2010, 06:53 AM
Would you guys consider Ozzy non-metal?
What kind of a question is this? Are you that starved for attention?

evildeadjedi
08-24-2010, 09:22 AM
Prince, what can I say I'm a child of the 80's.

Indestructible
08-29-2010, 06:24 PM
pink