PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man 2

powerslave_85
05-08-2010, 10:14 PM
Totally awesome. Sam Rockwell is really great, and Scarlett Johannson is super hot (and kicks some major ass too). I do agree with one review, though, that said sometimes it feels like it's one big set-up for the Avengers movies.

DethMaiden
05-08-2010, 10:23 PM
I thought it was really good. Wasn't a huge fan of subbing in Cheadle for Howard, but the War Machine scenes were so good that it didn't matter. All the new stars were great, even if it seemed like Sam Rockwell's character was written to act exactly how Justin Theroux (who wrote the script) would play it. Great action scenes, plenty of funny dialogue, and a formidable stopgap movie while we await the Avengers...sweet Christ, I can't wait to see that movie. :drool:

I thought the Captain America shield joke was awesome, too. :lol:

JRA
05-08-2010, 10:26 PM
I'd like to call it Iron Man 2: Attack of the Clones, the last 20 minutes were awesome, but it sure took it's sweet time getting there.

Spoiler, scroll over if you want to see it:Honestly, I was underwhelmed by the sight of Thor's Hammer, especially since that Gossip Girl faggot is going to be playing him.

mankvill
05-08-2010, 10:28 PM
As someone who's never read a single comic book in his life, and who likes Superhero movies more like the first two Spider-Man movies than, say, Superman movies, would I like it?

DethMaiden
05-08-2010, 10:29 PM
As someone who's never read a single comic book in his life, and who likes Superhero movies more like the first two Spider-Man movies than, say, Superman movies, would I like it?

Yep, it was definitely made more for folks like you than comic nerds.

mankvill
05-08-2010, 10:37 PM
Yep, it was definitely made more for folks like you than comic nerds.

Cool. I was kinda nervous because I thought it'd be all "CHECK OUT ALL THIS FLASH AND NO SUBSTANCE! HERE'S RANDOM SCARLET JOHANSSON KICKING THIS GUYS ASS, ISN'T SHE SEXY?"

I dunno, I'm more into superhero movies where the superhero is troubled, has real life problems, etc. Tony Stark...doesn't seem like that to me. :lol:

I kinda liked the first one.

makethemsuffer12
05-09-2010, 05:11 AM
Cool. I was kinda nervous because I thought it'd be all "CHECK OUT ALL THIS FLASH AND NO SUBSTANCE! HERE'S RANDOM SCARLET JOHANSSON KICKING THIS GUYS ASS, ISN'T SHE SEXY?"

I dunno, I'm more into superhero movies where the superhero is troubled, has real life problems, etc. Tony Stark...doesn't seem like that to me. :lol:

I kinda liked the first one.

Well in the comics he was an alcoholic, but I don't know if they touch upon that in the movie. I still have to see it. I loved the first one.

mastodon421
05-09-2010, 06:05 AM
Saw it on Friday. It was very good. I didn't like as much as the first one but it is defintely worth checking out.

DethMaiden
05-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Well in the comics he was an alcoholic, but I don't know if they touch upon that in the movie. I still have to see it. I loved the first one.

In the comics, there is one particular storyline - Demon in a Bottle - where he is an alcoholic. It's false to look at the entire Iron Man run and say "Tony Stark is an alcoholic." And no, they don't bring that into the movie.

makethemsuffer12
05-09-2010, 07:10 AM
In the comics, there is one particular storyline - Demon in a Bottle - where he is an alcoholic. It's false to look at the entire Iron Man run and say "Tony Stark is an alcoholic." And no, they don't bring that into the movie.

My bad, I'm not a big comic nerd, I just knew that Stark was an alcoholic at one point or another.

DethMaiden
05-09-2010, 07:10 AM
My bad, I'm not a big comic nerd, I just knew that Stark was an alcoholic at one point or another.

It's cool, I am. :tongue:

powerslave_85
05-09-2010, 08:37 AM
The thing I like about the Iron Man movies is the lightheartedness. Yes, most of my favorite comic book movies are the grittier, darker ones, but sometimes I just need something that's fun, and not splattered in blood and moral ambiguity.

JRA
05-09-2010, 04:40 PM
The thing I like about the Iron Man movies is the lightheartedness. Yes, most of my favorite comic book movies are the grittier, darker ones, but sometimes I just need something that's fun, and not splattered in blood and moral ambiguity.

True, but don't you think there should be room made to show what makes Tony Stark really tick?

powerslave_85
05-09-2010, 05:22 PM
I think they've been doing a good job with that, unless there are aspects of his personality from the comics that didn't make it into the movies.

SomewhereInTime72
05-09-2010, 05:29 PM
Good movie.

Natrlhi
05-09-2010, 06:21 PM
I liked it quite a bit, too.

ChildrenofSodom
05-09-2010, 06:26 PM
Well, the public turns against him and he is dying, so that might be the 'trouble' he faces. Besides the bad guys anyway.

And I didn't bother to stay after the credits, but when I found out what happened, I was kicking myself. CAN'T WAIT!!! Loved the Cap shield and Avengers Initiative references. Super excited.

powerslave_85
05-10-2010, 11:13 AM
Wasn't a huge fan of subbing in Cheadle for Howard, but the War Machine scenes were so good that it didn't matter. Yeah, I'm still not sure how I felt about Cheadle. Maybe they just didn't give him enough interaction with Tony until the end, but his performance seemed a little weak. War Machine rocks, though (and is one of the most bad-ass character names ever, IMO).

I hope in the next movie the "easter egg" after the credits is just Nick Fury looking at the camera going "What the fuck are you still doing here? There isn't anything else! Go the fuck home, nerds."

I should also note that this is probably the only performance by Gwyneth Paltrow I've ever enjoyed. She's a good fit for the role.

ChildrenofSodom
05-10-2010, 04:04 PM
True, but don't you think there should be room made to show what makes Tony Stark really tick?

Yeah, they bring up his Palladium heart device thing. That is what makes him tick.

JuuKun
05-10-2010, 04:22 PM
I hope in the next movie the "easter egg" after the credits is just Nick Fury looking at the camera going "What the fuck are you still doing here? There isn't anything else! Go the fuck home, nerds."

I think this would be hilarious, but I'd appreciate it a lot more if it was done for the Deadpool movie if it ever actually gets made, since Deadpool breaks the fourth wall anyways.

Liked the movie. Was pleasantly surprised with Mickey Rourke, and thought that Scarlett as Black Widow was a nice touch. In all of my comic book nerd glory, I was amused when I found out Scarlett Jo was playing BW, with her being married to Ryan Reynolds and all. (For those less nerdy: Ryan Reynolds played Deadpool in the Wolverine movie. Deadpool is convinced Black Widow is in love with him.)

SomewhereInTime72
05-10-2010, 05:48 PM
I think this would be hilarious, but I'd appreciate it a lot more if it was done for the Deadpool movie if it ever actually gets made, since Deadpool breaks the fourth wall anyways.

Liked the movie. Was pleasantly surprised with Mickey Rourke, and thought that Scarlett as Black Widow was a nice touch. In all of my comic book nerd glory, I was amused when I found out Scarlett Jo was playing BW, with her being married to Ryan Reynolds and all. (For those less nerdy: Ryan Reynolds played Deadpool in the Wolverine movie. Deadpool is convinced Black Widow is in love with him.)
..........Deadpool was in the wolverine movie?

Maybe I should have seen it after all.

DethMaiden
05-10-2010, 05:50 PM
..........Deadpool was in the wolverine movie?

Maybe I should have seen it after all.

No, you shouldn't have. It was terrible. Deadpool was done terribly. Even Jackman, whose Wolverine is probably the best collective performance in comic book movies, couldn't even begin to save it. Awful film.

On topic but not really: I dreamed I saw Iron Maiden live (I have this dream a lot) and instead of playing an encore after they left the stage it was the Easter egg from the Iron Man 2 post-credits on their video screen. Yep.

SomewhereInTime72
05-10-2010, 05:57 PM
No, you shouldn't have. It was terrible. Deadpool was done terribly. Even Jackman, whose Wolverine is probably the best collective performance in comic book movies, couldn't even begin to save it. Awful film.

On topic but not really: I dreamed I saw Iron Maiden live (I have this dream a lot) and instead of playing an encore after they left the stage it was the Easter egg from the Iron Man 2 post-credits on their video screen. Yep.

Damn. That was my initial impression of the movie. :bouville:

Epidemic Reign
05-14-2010, 02:12 AM
Mickey Rourke as Whiplash was way better than Heath Ledger as the Joker, and Scarlett Johansson was the best part of the movie. Or any movie I've seen so far this year for that matter.