PDA

View Full Version : Top Ten Bands You Are Most Happy/Proud You've Seen

Maiden33
05-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Basically a parallel thread to my other recent thread. Basically, it's pretty simple. These are NOT supposed to be the ten best shows you've seen, but the ten bands you are most happy/proud/satisfied that you have seen at least once. Whether it be because they broke up since, because they rarely tour (at least anywhere near you), or because they are just THAT good live - list 'em.

Mine:
01.Edguy (technically 4x, but this just because I saw them on the original Hellfire Club tour in 2004)
02.Saxon (took about six years of waiting, but it finally happened and it was worth the whole wait and the cancellations)
03.Tad Morose
04.Pagan's Mind
05.Blind Guardian
06.Gamma Ray
07.Firewind (x2)
08.Jon Oliva's Pain (x2)
09.UFO
10.Primal Fear (x2 in two weeks)

Also a big runner up to Jag Panzer.

Derelict
05-06-2010, 10:13 AM
Off the top of my head, while at work

Death
At The Gates (reunion)
In Flames when they were good (1999)
Pantera (1997)
Type O Negative (i'd have to check, been at least ten times)
Carnivore (2006 reunion)

TonyD
05-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Black Sabbath :cool:

powerslave_85
05-06-2010, 10:55 AM
The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Propagandhi. Their US tours are very rare and very short, so I feel really lucky to have seen them.

Fires Of Sedition
05-06-2010, 10:59 AM
I don't think any band that I really care about that I've seen has since broken up or anything like that. Just Still Remains and The Agony Scene :eyes:

The Green and Black
05-06-2010, 11:08 AM
01.Edguy (just because I saw them on the original Hellfire Club tour in 2004).

This! The reason Edguy is included on my list as well, not really in any particular order, and some of these bands I have seen a few times.

1) Savatage
2) Angra
3) Sentenced
4) Tad Morose
5) Edguy
6) Blind Guardian
7) Gamma Ray
8) Pagan's Mind
9) Y&T
10)Grank Funk Railroad (original line up Earth Day 1998) :D

Moonsorrow would have made my list, but due to the ever increasing popularity of Viking Death/Black Metal around here (which I don't understand) I am not sure how valid their place on this list would be as time goes on.

Derelict
05-06-2010, 11:09 AM
This! The reason Edguy is included on my list as well, not really in any particular order, and some of these bands I have seen a few times.

1) Savatage
2) Angra
3) Sentenced
4) Tad Morose
5) Edguy
6) Blind Guardian
7) Gamma Ray
8) Pagan's Mind
9) Y&T
10)Grank Funk Railroad (original line up Earth Day 1998) :D

Moonsorrow would have made my list, but due to the ever increasing popularity of Viking Death/Black Metal around here (which I don't understand) I am not sure how valid their place on this list would be as time goes on.

Sentenced? I'm jealous

The Green and Black
05-06-2010, 11:15 AM
Sentenced? I'm jealous

Yes! It was at the Troc actually. With In Flames and Dark Tranquility.

Killswitch Engage was on the bill also, but not a fan, so I blocked them out.

Derelict
05-06-2010, 11:23 AM
Yes! It was at the Troc actually. With In Flames and Dark Tranquility.

Killswitch Engage was on the bill also, but not a fan, so I blocked them out.

Was that 2002? I seem to remember missing that due to being on second shift at the time, and not having any vacation days due to being in a new job.

mankvill
05-06-2010, 11:59 AM
Hmm.

Celtic Frost
Decapitated with Coven and Vitek
ChthoniC
Dark Funeral
Naglfar
Boris
Impaled
Phobia
Kill The Client
Illogicist
Unleashed
Suicidal Tendencies
Quo Vadis on their 2nd ever US show
Megadeth in a really small venue
Magrudergrind
Witchaven
Weedeater

Cynicist
05-06-2010, 12:22 PM
Emperor
Borknagar
Witchery
Morbid Angel with Steve Tucker, and with Jared Anderson
Gorguts, before this reformed incarnation with different people
Destiny's End
Exhumed
Cryptopsy when they were still good
Divine Empire
Iced Earth, when Barlow had hair

The Green and Black
05-06-2010, 12:33 PM
Iced Earth, when Barlow had hair

I was going to say the same about Blind Guardian, well in regards to Hansi :D

mankvill
05-06-2010, 12:56 PM
Oh yeah! I'll add Iced Earth with Matt Barlow too. :D

Sanitarium78
05-06-2010, 12:57 PM
1. Black Sabbath - 1992, 1995, 1999. Dio, Martin and Ozzy. Seen them with all three Sabbath singers that counted which i'm most proud of.

2. Dio -1997, 1998. Given his recent health issues who knows if any of us will see him live again.

3. Alice In Chains- Opening for Ozzy in 1992, R.I.P. Layne.

4. Anthrax - 2003. They're pretty much dead as a band now and I probably won't get a chance to see them again.

5. Iron Maiden - 2000. The comeback tour with Dickinson. It was a pretty huge deal everywhere. It's been ten years but i'm finally seeing them again this summer:rocker:

6. Page & Plant - 1995. As close to seeing Zeppelin live as i'll ever get.

7. Ozzy - 1992. The 'No More Tours Tour' pretty much the last tour Ozzy ever did in top form. Have seen him live many times since then though.

8. Guns N Roses/Metallica/Faith No More - 1992 stadium tour and my first ever metal show. All three bands were on top of their game live and all were riding the biggest waves of popularity they had in their careers. It's really hard to beat this one.

9. Type O Negative - 1993, 2007, 2008. It's never gonna happen again so i'm glad I caught them when I did. R.I.P. Pete.

10. The Rolling Stones - 1998. At Madison Square Garden it really dosen't get much better than this and it's one of the shows I like to say i'm most proud of that i've seen.

Wizzbang11
05-06-2010, 04:17 PM
Jungle Rot- Wanted to see them for years before I did, were one of my favorite bands almost since I first heard them, they never ever tour the US, etc.

Ghoul- Love Ghoul, they probably won't be playing much more, on top of the already small amount of shows they play, and I have been lucky enough to see them twice

General Surgery- Fucking awesome, Swedish goregrind bands don't come here to often

Abscess- at the time I did not appreciate this for what it was, but Abscess only do a handful of one off shows, and they rule, so to see them was awesome

Carcass- Arguably my favorite band, most likely the only chance I will get to see them

Iron Maiden- I realize everyone saw SBIT, but I love Maiden, and c'mon, that set was historic

Dragonforce- Because maybe one day seeing ZP will be like having seen Di'Anno

Turisas- First American tour

SomewhereInTime72
05-06-2010, 05:33 PM
1. Iron Maiden - The specific reason I list them is because ever since I got into Maiden, I've seen them at least once on every US tour they've done (starting with GMETID). So, I'm proud of that.
2. King Crimson - Mostly inactive since 2004, save for a few select shows with Gavin Harrison as the 2nd drummer. I saw two.
3. Amorphis - Not such a big deal for Euro-people maybe, but they don't exactly come to the US regularly, y'know.
4. Helloween (with Gamma Ray) - Getting to see Gamma Ray and Helloween in the same night, and then the encore with Kai doing Helloween songs: awesome tour.
5. Queensryche - Not rare as a touring band or anything, but the Mindcrime (+ Mindcrime II) shows were damn awesome and I'm not sure if they'll be doing that again.
6. Opeth - Also not rare. But I've only seen them twice - On shows that were very rare. The chronology shows, and the recent 20th anniversary shows. :D
7. Heaven and Hell - They played a ton of shows, yeah. But the whole thing was pretty unique and felt special. Especially now that it's possible that the whole thing is over. :(
8. Mucc - Only played 2 headliners in the US ever.
9. Judas Priest - Just 'cause they're that awesome
10. Hiromi's Sonicbloom - Mostly just 'cause of awesome, but also because the show was actually in an NYU theater that was all amounts of kickass, instead of Blue Note.

idrinkwine732
05-06-2010, 05:46 PM
A few of these shows must have happened before I was alive...

I don't really have 10 bands that I'm super happy to have seen, because I haven't been going to shows for that long...

ravenheart
05-06-2010, 05:48 PM
Guns N' Roses do a theatre warm-up show.
Opeth at the Royal Albert Hall.
Arena do an "evening with" in London.
Roadsaw do a Kyuss covers set.
Jon Oliva's Pain play more or less all of 'Streets' as a one-off.
Celtic Frost (twice)
The More I See (why? because it was in my home town and I've never seen a metal gig in my town before or since, and because they played to literally five people and still turned it on)
Metallica ('Death Magnetic' album launch show, of which there were two Worldwide)
Thunder (last ever headline show)
Iron Maiden (Clive Burr benefit show in a theatre)

Ask me again in a month and I'll say Evergrey play an acoustic set.

And in two months and I'll say Devin Townsend play all of 'Ziltoid The Omniscient'.

ravenheart
05-06-2010, 06:00 PM
4. Helloween (with Gamma Ray) - Getting to see Gamma Ray and Helloween in the same night, and then the encore with Kai doing Helloween songs: awesome tour.
5. Queensryche - Not rare as a touring band or anything, but the Mindcrime (+ Mindcrime II) shows were damn awesome and I'm not sure if they'll be doing that again.
6. Opeth - Also not rare. But I've only seen them twice - On shows that were very rare. The chronology shows, and the recent 20th anniversary shows. :D
7. Heaven and Hell - They played a ton of shows, yeah. But the whole thing was pretty unique and felt special. Especially now that it's possible that the whole thing is over. :(
9. Judas Priest - Just 'cause they're that awesome

Saw all of these :D

ravenheart
05-06-2010, 06:01 PM
I was going to say the same about Blind Guardian, well in regards to Hansi :D

Haha, yep. Saw them before and twice after ;)

Will see them again in September.

SomewhereInTime72
05-06-2010, 06:07 PM
Saw all of these :D

:horns: :party:

Dextrimental
05-06-2010, 06:21 PM
Hmmmm.... In no particular order..

The Big 4 - At different occasions of course, but I am still immensely proud to say iv seen all four of them :D

Trivium - Now that Travis is gone it wont feel the same anymore, and I seen them on the ascendancy tour, which is still one of my favorite gigs ever.

Still Remains - They've broken up since, so its cool I got to see them before that.

Down - Evening with show in support of 'Over The Under', INCREDIBLE show, very proud to say I seen it, considering it may not happen again.

Heaven and Hell - Because it simple might not ever happen again.

Journey - Just because.

Tenacious D - Again, just because.

I will be adding KISS to this as of tomorrow night :D

makethemsuffer12
05-06-2010, 06:33 PM
System of a Down
Sanctity (Sucks that they broke up, I thought they had a lot of potential)
Into Eternity (Love this band, sucks that they've been doing practically nothing lately)
Overkill ('Twas awesome to see such a legendary band)
Metallica (Favorite band of all time, seeing them for the first time on their first US tour since '04)
Slayer (Missed 'em a couple of times, so it was great so finally see the legendary SLAYER)
Iron Maiden ('nuff said)
Heaven and Hell
Van Halen (It's one of my least favorite concert experiences, mainly due to the shitty seats/crowd, but to see Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth onstage together was awesome.)
Symphony X (Being in the presence of one of the most talented bands of all time was mind blowing)

Honorable mentions:
Megadeth
Cannibal Corpse
Deep Purple
Joe Satriani
Thin Lizzy (Post-Lynott obviously, but still cool to see, even though I don't remember the show one bit)
Judas Priest
Whitesnake

ChildrenofSodom
05-06-2010, 06:43 PM
Can we make a Top Ten Favorite Top Ten/Favorite Threads? Jesus Kriminey.....

daimonos
05-06-2010, 06:51 PM
System of a Down
Sanctity (Sucks that they broke up, I thought they had a lot of potential)
Into Eternity (Love this band, sucks that they've been doing practically nothing lately)
Overkill ('Twas awesome to see such a legendary band)
Metallica (Favorite band of all time, seeing them for the first time on their first US tour since '04)
Slayer (Missed 'em a couple of times, so it was great so finally see the legendary SLAYER)
Iron Maiden ('nuff said)
Heaven and Hell
Van Halen (It's one of my least favorite concert experiences, mainly due to the shitty seats/crowd, but to see Eddie Van Halen and David Lee Roth onstage together was awesome.)
Symphony X (Being in the presence of one of the most talented bands of all time was mind blowing)

Honorable mentions:
Megadeth
Cannibal Corpse
Deep Purple
Joe Satriani
Thin Lizzy (Post-Lynott obviously, but still cool to see, even though I don't remember the show one bit)
Judas Priest
Whitesnake

I thought Sanctity was awesome whenever I saw them. They're also the band that broke the barrier for extreme vocals with me too, and opened the door for everything I listen to today. I still think Road to Bloodshed is an amazing album. I really would have liked to see them continue.

IrritatedTrout
05-06-2010, 07:28 PM
Iron Maiden on every tour since I've been a fan (Early Days tour) and both 08 and 09 SBIT shows
Black Sabbath with both Ozzy (once) and Dio (3 times)
The Metal Master Tour (Priest, Sabbath, Motorhead, Testament:drool:)
Bolt Thrower (twice)
Carcass
Candlemass (first US tour in 17 years)

xStructualDefect
05-06-2010, 08:04 PM
At The Gates
Metallica
Slayer and Megadeth (not a big fan of both but glad to say i've seen them.)
Blind Guardian
Symphony X

Natrlhi
05-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Slayer
Death
Bolt Thrower
Carcass
TOOL
Baroness
Isis
Metallica
Russian Circles
Giant Squid / Grayceon
Burst

Fuck, that's eleven. Oh well - I'm not taking any one of those off the list...deal with it. :D

EDIT: I'm already having writer's regret that I didn't have Meshuggah and Arch Enemy on there. This shit is way to hard. Damn you, Jeff.

EDIT2: High on Fire, Made Out of Babies, Pig Destroyer...damn you, Jeff.

b_halperin
05-06-2010, 09:11 PM
Hmmmm... a few off the top of my head:

Gojira (First US headlining tour, greatest show i've ever been to)
Slayer
Skeletonwitch (Show in cramped record store with no more than 15 people, really awesome to watch)
Sonata Arctica
Hammerfall (First time here in 5 years, before I was into metal)
Cannibal Corpse
Suidakra (offdate headlining show from Orphaned Land Tour)
Turisas
Goatwhore (Awesome small headlining gig at the Knit factory rip)

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
05-06-2010, 09:23 PM
I've seen all the big Metal bands over the years. Usually more than once.

Most proud of:

Celtic Frost - circa 1987
Black Sabbath w/Dio - 1992
Slayer - 4 months after Reign in Blood came out 1987
Soundgarden and Pearl Jam - 1992
Pagan's Mind last year at ProgPower X

just off the top of my head.

mankvill
05-06-2010, 10:06 PM

J
E
A
L
O
U
S

Setlist plz ;)

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
05-06-2010, 10:46 PM
Setlist plz ;)

No clue. It was CF, Exodus and Anthrax at the Bronco Bowl in December of 1987. I was not going to be denied. I was a huge CF fan at the time. Lied and told my brother I had a ride home so he'd take me. Not fun calling my dad to come pick me up after the show. Totally worth it though.

I remember reading in recent years that that was the last show of the tour and they broke up right after. Then came the infamous Cold Lake album/line-up.

Maiden33
05-07-2010, 01:38 AM
Can we make a Top Ten Favorite Top Ten/Favorite Threads? Jesus Kriminey.....

I've never seen people complain about similar threads like they do around here. Jesus, do people realize what it's like to be on virtually any board that's actually ACTIVE? Two topics with similar but different concepts existing at the same time is not a crime. Especially since around here threads tend to turn from their original intent and either into extended side-discussion or off-topic stuff after about 4 pages.

I would totally understand your point if the board was so busy it was difficult to keep up with and we wanted to minimize confusion - but as it is, who cares?

Maiden33
05-07-2010, 01:42 AM
Ask me again in a month and I'll say Evergrey play an acoustic set.

DAMN YOU!!! UNFAIR!

I have longed to see Evergrey at all for so fucking long at this point, I even had tickets to travel 160 miles round-trip to see them but it got canceled. I was actually just talking tonight about how I'd really love to see them do an acoustic show, because I think they do a brilliant job with acoustic adaptations of their songs.

ChildrenofSodom
05-07-2010, 04:57 AM
I've never seen people complain about similar threads like they do around here. Jesus, do people realize what it's like to be on virtually any board that's actually ACTIVE? Two topics with similar but different concepts existing at the same time is not a crime. Especially since around here threads tend to turn from their original intent and either into extended side-discussion or off-topic stuff after about 4 pages.

I would totally understand your point if the board was so busy it was difficult to keep up with and we wanted to minimize confusion - but as it is, who cares?

tl;dr

Derelict
05-07-2010, 05:02 AM
DAMN YOU!!! UNFAIR!

I have longed to see Evergrey at all for so fucking long at this point, I even had tickets to travel 160 miles round-trip to see them but it got canceled. I was actually just talking tonight about how I'd really love to see them do an acoustic show, because I think they do a brilliant job with acoustic adaptations of their songs.

I remember seeing them open for Iced Earth at the Troc not that long ago - 2004 maybe?

The Green and Black
05-07-2010, 07:18 AM
I remember seeing them open for Iced Earth at the Troc not that long ago - 2004 maybe?

Yes! I was there! Evergrey, Children of Bodom and Iced Earth!

Oh and to answer your other question I somehow missed, yes, the Sentenced show at the Troc was in 2002! Sept 25th 2002 to be exact.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
05-07-2010, 07:19 AM

I saw that tour in Dallas. I think it may have been earlier than '04. It was IE, evergrey and children of bodom. I remember the singer for COB kept spitting on the stage.

Derelict
05-07-2010, 07:20 AM
Yes! I was there! Evergrey, Children of Bodom and Iced Earth!

Oh and to answer your other question I somehow missed, yes, the Sentenced show at the Troc was in 2002! Sept 25th 2002 to be exact.

Yeah, that was the lineup, awesome show. And yep, thats why I missed sentenced, 2nd shift with no vacation days. Argh.

JuuKun
05-07-2010, 07:23 AM
1. After Forever, only a few months before they went on hiatus & then broke up.
2. At the Gates
3. Pagan's Mind
4. Decapitated, pre-accident with Vitek & Covan.
5. Heaven and Hell
6. Saint Vitus
7. Amon Amarth in 2007 (First headlining tour, and still the best setlist they've done in the States)
8. Freak Kitchen
9. Ministry
10. Strapping Young Lad (SYL gets the nod over the Devin Townsend Band because Devy plays some DTB material live.)

Super unbelievably jealous of The Green and Black for having seen Sentenced. :mad: What makes it worse is that I just looked up the tourdates, and that tour hit PROVIDENCE. Sentenced were ten minutes from my house, and I didn't know who they were at the time :mad:

Derelict
05-07-2010, 07:29 AM
Forgot one - SYL on their first ever US tour in 1997, them and Stuck Mojo were opening for Testament. We hung out with SYL at their $100 touring van after the show, Devin drew caricatures for us

The Green and Black
05-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Forgot one - SYL on their first ever US tour in 1997, them and Stuck Mojo were opening for Testament. We hung out with SYL at their $100 touring van after the show, Devin drew caricatures for us

YES!!!!!!!!! I was going to include this one in my list as well, but could not remember the details! SYL ruled that night! Although I thought Nevermore played too?

Edit: So I looked it up, no Nevermore on that date. But then Nevermore must have played that same week or something, because I remember them playing a lot from In Memory. Who did Nevermore play with? I wish I remembered all this stuff. I should keep notes! haha

Derelict
05-07-2010, 07:53 AM
YES!!!!!!!!! I was going to include this one in my list as well, but could not remember the details! SYL ruled that night! Although I thought Nevermore played too?

I don't believe so, pretty sure it was just those 3. That was September of 1997, would have to check my list at home for the exact date. Looks like we have been to a bunch of the same shows

The Green and Black
05-07-2010, 07:56 AM
I don't believe so, pretty sure it was just those 3. That was September of 1997, would have to check my list at home for the exact date. Looks like we have been to a bunch of the same shows

I just edited my original post, yes you are right. Then who did Nevermore play with? It had to be that same week or month.

Maiden33
05-07-2010, 09:30 AM
DAMN YOU!!! UNFAIR!

For the record, this was supposed to say 1600 miles round-trip. :eyes:

JRA
05-07-2010, 09:51 AM
Iron Maiden
Ozzy (while he was still salvagable)
Judas Priest
Black Sabbath (ozzy & dio)
Megadeth
Overkill

that's all I got.

Fe Maiden
05-07-2010, 09:52 AM
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Black Sabbath
Blue Oyster Cult
RUSH
BOSTON
Deep Purple
Iron Maiden
Fates Warning
Yes

In no particular order except maybe Led Zep

daimonos
05-07-2010, 10:20 AM
I am proud to have seen Strapping Young Lad on their last tour ever on Ozzfest 2006, but it pisses me off to an extreme extent that I, at the time, had no idea who any of the bands were on the entire festival except for BLS and Ozzy...

Today SYL is one of my favorite bands, and it drives me insane that I've seen them before.... I would kill to be able to see them now.

Also I saw Black Sabbath on what is probably going to be their last ever tour with Ozzy, which was Ozzfest 2005.

And Opeth of course.

Derelict
05-07-2010, 10:24 AM
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
Black Sabbath
Blue Oyster Cult
RUSH
BOSTON
Deep Purple
Iron Maiden
Fates Warning
Yes

In no particular order except maybe Led Zep

Who all was in Pink Floyd at the time?

makethemsuffer12
05-07-2010, 12:16 PM
I am proud to have seen Strapping Young Lad on their last tour ever on Ozzfest 2006, but it pisses me off to an extreme extent that I, at the time, had no idea who any of the bands were on the entire festival except for BLS and Ozzy...

Today SYL is one of my favorite bands, and it drives me insane that I've seen them before.... I would kill to be able to see them now.

Also I saw Black Sabbath on what is probably going to be their last ever tour with Ozzy, which was Ozzfest 2005.

And Opeth of course.

What drives me crazy is that I went to Ozzfest '06, but came later in the day, so I missed SYL. I didn't even know of them back then, but now that I do, and knowing that it was their last tour, I'm pretty pissed that I didn't see them.

daimonos
05-07-2010, 12:23 PM
What drives me crazy is that I went to Ozzfest '06, but came later in the day, so I missed SYL. I didn't even know of them back then, but now that I do, and knowing that it was their last tour, I'm pretty pissed that I didn't see them.

Yeah I'm pissed because I didn't like metal further than Ozzy, Sabbath, BLS, Dio, and Maiden back then, so I don't even have any memory of seeing alot of the bands that were on the second stage. I watch live videos of SYL all the time and think "Damn, I saw something like this, but have no memory of it. Fuck."

evildeadjedi
05-07-2010, 12:52 PM
No particular order

Blind Guardian - Because they awesome and great in concert.
Cult of Luna - These guys threw me for a loop opening for Mastodon and actually destroyed them. :eek:
At The Drive In - Because they no longer are a band and had tons of energy on stage.
ACDC - Because I always wanted to see them and finally got the chance in 08.
Slayer - Still Raining Tour because they played the entire Reign in Blood album.
Sepultura - Chaos A.D. Tour because they were still Sepultura.
Mastodon - Crack the Skye Tour cause I really love the album.
King Diamond - Because they don't seem to tour anymore and are great live!
Van Halen - I saw them back in '87 sure it was after the Roth split but it's still a show I'm proud I got to see.
White Zombie - It was my second show without my parents and I went with my sister and here boyfriend.

ChildrenofSodom
05-07-2010, 02:53 PM
I saw Death.

idrinkwine732
05-07-2010, 03:42 PM
I saw Death.

Fuck you.

mankvill
05-07-2010, 03:57 PM
Fuck you.

He's lying.

Or he means the african-american protopunk band.

ravenheart
05-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Or he had a near-death experience...

idrinkwine732
05-07-2010, 04:41 PM
You can't joke about that shit around me. If I had a time machine, that would hands down be one of the first things I do.

SomewhereInTime72
05-07-2010, 05:06 PM
You can't joke about that shit around me. If I had a time machine, that would hands down be one of the first things I do.

Same, but mostly because I probably wouldn't be able to do it after I used time travel to alter history entirely.

MPF
05-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Not in any particular order

1. Dredg (Because now I know the guys)
2. Torche (One of the beast damn bands live ever)
3. Atheist (Because last year was their first MN appearance since the early 90's)
4. Novembers Doom (Because they rarely play shows)
5. Opeth (seen before Opeth got cooler in the metal community)
6. Iced Earth (My favorite Metal band)
7. Dream Theater (My favorite band)
8. Mastodon (Seen Crack The SKy live)
9. Between The Buried And Me (Seen Colors live)
10.Redemption (Because I named their live DVD)

Maiden33
05-07-2010, 08:39 PM
10.Redemption (Because I named their live DVD)

Haha, no shit? That was you? Really cool title, by the way. Did you see them just opening for DT?

MPF
05-07-2010, 08:53 PM
Haha, no shit? That was you? Really cool title, by the way. Did you see them just opening for DT?

Yup that was me. Memory is my favorite Redemption song I knew I had to include it in some way. I didn't think I had a chance, but it turns out I had what NVD, Ray and the boys wanted. Here's some pics of my DVD to prove it:

http://c2.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/7/l_bf99be755c6a4e48bb3ed85fa3b5659d.jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/54/l_af2cff584acd461aaab4d5a2580b4ee0.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/3/l_5c68c22edb614cfda9b091a00395b246.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/57/l_04bca0cd5d4642f897c725f3fecf3897.jpg

http://c3.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/23/l_415172e9d854487aa57dca9eb52efcbe.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/1/l_3327190359954b0a823033787cbbf49f.jpg

http://c4.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/49/l_cbff29a1440d49d2b0a66df88dc5137f.jpg

*I also got a personal thank you from NVD on his personal stationary. We had a few good email chats while I found out I won. I guess in one review of the DVD he actually used my review, but I can't find it anywhere on the net.

Yes I did Chaos In Motion tour 2007. Minneapolis, MN Such a great set. I really hope they'll make it back here sometime, as unlikely as it is.

Maiden33
05-07-2010, 09:17 PM
That's so cool. NVD and Sean Andrews are two of the nicest musicians I've ever met - hell, people I've ever met, period. The night my radio show had the two of them in chat and played "Snowfall on Judgment Day" in its entirety was easily the funnest an most successful show we've ever done. It was so cool that they stuck around in chat for over an hour after we played the album and just talked music with us and our listeners - and NVD did a Q&A Interview for us as well. I think in terms of talented bands that deserve to make it much bigger than they probably ever will, they are at the top of that list.

I wish NVD the best of luck in the future and am so incredibly happy his personal life seems to be looking up. I can only hope at some point I can eventually see them, as unlikely as it looks right now.

MPF
05-07-2010, 09:40 PM
That is incredible. That is definitely my kinda radio show.

When I talked with NVD through email, he seemed so down to earth and a great guy to talk to. I hope it will happen one day where I can meet NVD and the rest of the guys after a show shake their hands and thank them once again for putting together one of the greatest Prog Metal bands the world will ever know, and that in a small way, letting me be apart of it.

Seeing them live was simple awe-inspiring. even if it was a short 45 minute set. It was one of, if not the best under an hour sets I've ever witnessed.

Crionics
05-08-2010, 05:28 AM
You guys make me jealous..

The Green and Black
05-08-2010, 11:59 PM
I am proud to have seen Strapping Young Lad on their last tour ever on Ozzfest 2006

I am proud to have seen Strapping Young Lad on their first tour ever in the US in 1997 :D

The Green and Black
05-09-2010, 12:11 AM
Not on my original list, but should have been, Rhapsody!

And also honorable mentions for Pantera (RIP Dime) and Quiet Riot (RIP Kevin)

HackedUpForBBQ
05-26-2010, 06:04 AM
1. Danzig w/ Behemoth - Blackest of the Black Tour '05 - First time seeing both Danzig and Behemoth, and during Danzig's set Doyle came out and they did 9 Misfits songs. AMAZING, that's probably never going to happen again

2. Ministry w/ RevCo - MasterbaTour '06 - Not only was this my first and last time seeing Ministry, but I was treated to a double Al Jourgensen set as he played live in both bands that night. The setlist was superb as well..... I got NWO, Just One Fix, Thieves, So What, Stigmata and Psalm 69

3. Ozzfest '05 - Rob Zombie, BLS, Iron Maiden, Sabbath w/ Ozzy

4. Both times seeing Heaven and Hell were amazing.... RIP Dio! The first was in '07 w/ Alice Cooper and the second was in '08 w/ Motorhead and Testament. Sign of the Southern Cross will always be one of the best live songs of all time

5. Both times seeing Type O Negative.... RIP Pete

6. Slayer in a fucking club on the Jagermeister Tour '05

7. Both times seeing Megadeth in a club, more notably the most recent time on the Rust In Peace Tour. Megadeth, Testament, Exodus!

8. The Gruesome Twosome Tour w/ Alice Cooper and Rob Zombie. AMAZING day the whole way around, and seeing these two perform on the same stage I walked across when I graduated was absolutely insane

9. An Evening With Down in '08 - the opening video was awesome and they played for almost 2 1/2 hours

10. Immortal on the All Shall Fall Tour - first time seeing one of my favorite bands... it was one of only four North American shows. They NEVER play around here

Honorable mentions:
-The Rock Never Stops Tour in '05 (I believe) with Cinderella, Ratt, Quiet Riot and Firehouse. RIP Kevin Dubrow
-Every time seeing Cannibal Corpse, especially in '06 w/ Dying Fetus and '09 w/ Behemoth
-Deicide in '06
-Every time seeing Gwar
-Both times seeing Metallica
-Both times seeing Opeth
-Vital Remains in '07 when Dave Suzuki was still with them

Indestructible
05-26-2010, 06:10 AM
Rush
Megadeth
Aice Cooper
Lamb Of God
Metallica
Shadows Fall
Type O Negative
Disturbed
Dream Theater
AC/DC

Natrlhi
05-26-2010, 08:07 AM
I saw Death.

Fuck you.

He's lying.

Or he means the african-american protopunk band.

Or he had a near-death experience...

You can't joke about that shit around me. If I had a time machine, that would hands down be one of the first things I do.I did see Death. The actual death metal band. With Chuck Schuldiner. THREE FUCKING TIMES.

:party: :rocker: :blaze: :bliss: :drool: :grim: :lovedup: :fingers: :dfork: :dgrin: :666: :headoff: :bricks:

Natrlhi
05-26-2010, 08:10 AM
Cult of Luna - These guys threw me for a loop opening for Mastodon and actually destroyed them. :eek:I'm jealous as fuck. :mad: I love them, and I've never seen them. They rarely tour here.

evildeadjedi
05-26-2010, 12:51 PM
I did see Death. The actual death metal band. With Chuck Schuldiner. THREE FUCKING TIMES.

:party: :rocker: :blaze: :bliss: :drool: :grim: :lovedup: :fingers: :dfork: :dgrin: :666: :headoff: :bricks:

I'm jealous as well!!!! Seeing Death three times easily trumps seeing Cult of Luna once. Truly awesome man! :party:

Fe Maiden
05-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Led Zeppelin
Pink Floyd
UFO
Boston
Iron Maiden
RUSH
Triumph
Journey
Scorpions
Deep Purple

mastodon421
05-26-2010, 03:13 PM
I did see Death. The actual death metal band. With Chuck Schuldiner. THREE FUCKING TIMES.

I can't even express with words how jealous I am.

Derelict
05-26-2010, 03:15 PM

I saw them once in 1998 - when did you see them?

That's completely awesome btw

Crionics
05-26-2010, 03:29 PM

http://img130.imageshack.us/img130/630/boratverynicew.jpg (http://img130.imageshack.us/i/boratverynicew.jpg/)

IrritatedTrout
05-26-2010, 03:34 PM
Led Zeppelin

:drool::drool::drool:

How was this show?

Natrlhi
05-26-2010, 08:47 PM
I saw them once in 1998 - when did you see them?

That's completely awesome btw

Definitely earlier than you did. I wanna say it was the tours for Leprosy, Spiritual Healing and Human. And yes, it was awesome. All I remember is being in the pit right in front of Chuck, who always played front and center, and at least one of the shows had basically no security and the stage was pretty much at floor level. I was screaming the lyrics to the Leprosy songs at the top of my lungs and right into Chuck's face, so loudly that I was making myself get out of breath. I couldn't talk for days after that. Good fucking times. :party::rocker::party:

idrinkwine732
05-26-2010, 09:59 PM
Definitely earlier than you did. I wanna say it was the tours for Leprosy, Spiritual Healing and Human. And yes, it was awesome. All I remember is being in the pit right in front of Chuck, who always played front and center, and at least one of the shows had basically no security and the stage was pretty much at floor level. I was screaming the lyrics to the Leprosy songs at the top of my lungs and right into Chuck's face, so loudly that I was making myself get out of breath. I couldn't talk for days after that. Good fucking times. :party::rocker::party:

I just shed a single tear in jealousy.

Fe Maiden
05-27-2010, 10:08 AM
:drool::drool::drool:

How was this show?My first concert ever and it was incredible!

idrinkwine732
05-27-2010, 01:32 PM
Same, but mostly because I probably wouldn't be able to do it after I used time travel to alter history entirely.

I think the only possible good explanation for fucking up history would be me going back to see a Death show.

jhdeity
05-30-2010, 11:13 PM
No particular order

Blind Guardian - Because they awesome and great in concert.
Cult of Luna - These guys threw me for a loop opening for Mastodon and actually destroyed them. :eek:
At The Drive In - Because they no longer are a band and had tons of energy on stage.
ACDC - Because I always wanted to see them and finally got the chance in 08.
Slayer - Still Raining Tour because they played the entire Reign in Blood album.
Sepultura - Chaos A.D. Tour because they were still Sepultura.
Mastodon - Crack the Skye Tour cause I really love the album.
King Diamond - Because they don't seem to tour anymore and are great live!
Van Halen - I saw them back in '87 sure it was after the Roth split but it's still a show I'm proud I got to see.
White Zombie - It was my second show without my parents and I went with my sister and here boyfriend.

I remember Sadus opening for Sepultura on that tour. Sadus is still to this day the best speed metal band I've ever heard. Definitely one of my 3 favorite shows even though I wasn't really into Obituary then.

evildeadjedi
05-31-2010, 10:17 AM
I remember Sadus opening for Sepultura on that tour. Sadus is still to this day the best speed metal band I've ever heard. Definitely one of my 3 favorite shows even though I wasn't really into Obituary then.

Sadus and Obituary was not on that tour I think you are thinking of the Beneath the Remains Tour in 90' (when you have seen so many shows I know it can be challenging to keep them straight :lol: ) I attended this was my lineup:

Clutch, Fear Factory, Fudge Tunnel Mar 21, 1994 they were supposed to play Columbus again Aug 7, 1994 but after the Atlanta, GA Aug, 05 1994 date Max had to have knee surgery so the rest of the US tour was cancelled. The supporting acts were Pantera and Prong for the this leg, which I really wanted to see!! :mad: Granted, I had already seen Prong before but I really wanted to see Pantera and this was one of the examples of why I never got the chance. :(

JLRedWing13
05-31-2010, 11:04 AM
I don't have ten yet, but.....

Metallica
Judas Priest
Slayer
Heaven and Hell
Cynic
Kreator

Iron Maiden and Megadeth will be added by the end of the summer. :D

Butcher of Birth
05-31-2010, 02:35 PM
Iron Maiden
Black Sabbath
Motorhead
Iced Earth
Carcass
Hate Eternal
Strapping Young Lad
Turisas
Ozzy
Slipknot

Uncle_Meat1940
06-03-2010, 02:33 PM
Only ones that stick out at the moment

In alphabetical order:

Atheist - First time they've came to Mn since I was born
Bob Dylan - I don't believe I need to say anything
Ozzy Osbourne - Seeing Ozzy is like the Mecca of heavy metal...
Project/Object w/ Ike Willis and Ray White - First time they've toured together in over 25 years
Robert Plant - I don't believe I need to say anything
The Rolling Stones - I don't believe I need to say anything

Soon to be added

In order of when they're coming:

Parliament Funkadelic - George Clinton could be kicking it soon, dude's like 70 years old and that's up there for a normal person. It's funked up that Bootsy won't be with them though...
Pestilence - Never come around
Iron Maiden - .....
Primus - Never come around and I missed them the last time
Phish (2 days) - Never come around, especially to the Midwest
Rush - They are my favorite band that I can actually still see live
Roger Waters playing 'The Wall' - Hasn't happened in 30 years, and it probably won't happen again.

JLRedWing13
06-03-2010, 02:38 PM
I am very happy that I saw Obituary last night...

JudasPriest89
06-18-2010, 02:50 PM
01.Judas Priest
02.Def Leppard
03.Slayer
04.Megadeth
05.Alice Cooper
06.Heaven & Hell
07.AC/DC
08.KISS
09.ZZ Top (Not really Metal but I still REALLY like them)
10.Eric Clapton (Same thing with above)

JLRedWing13
06-18-2010, 02:56 PM
I want to see Eric Clapton....

xStructualDefect
06-18-2010, 03:31 PM
i'm not sure if i've written in this thread yet but;

At The Gates
Metallica
Megadeth
Slayer

makethemsuffer12
06-18-2010, 03:33 PM
i'm not sure if i've written in this thread yet but;

At The Gates

Hey,

FUCK YOU
:finger2:

xStructualDefect
06-18-2010, 05:27 PM
Hey,

FUCK YOU

:lol: should've saw them on their last US tour 2 years ago. one of the best live bands i've seen.

300%_Density
06-20-2010, 06:37 PM
Not sure if I can get 10 but what the hell.

1) ZZ Top 5x
2) A Perfect Circle (Don't really tour regularly anymore)
3) Candiria - Phenomenal band that don't get credit they deserve, based on my user name I'm bias a little obviously :)
4) Helmet - Same as Candiria
5) Eric Clapton 2x
6) Meshuggah - They def don't travel in this area of the country that often
7) Napalm Death
8) NIN on their "Wave Goodbye" Tour
9) Prong
10) Ozzy

brutal_descent
08-05-2011, 01:44 AM
Gojira
Meshuggah
Exhumed
Odd Future
Electric Wizard
Kvelertak
Opeth
ZZ Top
Public Enemy
Fleshgod Apocalypse
Judas Priest
Dillinger Escape Plan (Headlining)
Kylesa
Watain

Eyehategod, Arcade Fire, Fucked Up, and Cannabis Corpse will be on this by the end of August.

ravenheart
08-05-2011, 04:47 AM
Hmm... not sure I can limit this to ten anymore...

Opeth's Royal Albert Hall DVD recording
Opeth's Roundhouse DVD recording
Dio's Holy Diver Live DVD recording
Thunder's final headlining show
Evergrey acoustic
Devin Townsend playing Ziltoid
Jon Oliva's Pain playing Streets
Testament playing The Legacy and The New Order
Metallica's Death Magnetic launch
Guns N' Roses theatre warm-up
Celtic Frost
Arena evening with
Iron Maiden Clive Burr benefit theatre show
Roadsaw playing Kyuss covers
Dio Memorial Gala in Helsinki
Heaven & Hell's Dio Tribute set
Black Country Communion album showcase studio set
Alice Cooper's Hammersmith DVD recording
Iced Earth on the final tour with Barlow
Warren Haynes evening with
Paradise Lost anniversary DVD recording
Katatonia anniversary evening with
My Dying Bride anniversary
TSO's first ever London show
Both of The Duke's only London shows

Too many cool shows.

More to come too. Cathedral's last ever show and Pentagram's first ever UK show, both in December. Deep Purple with an orchestra in November.

NickLed19
08-05-2011, 04:57 AM
Maiden
Metallica
Rush
U2
Priest
Kiss
Ozzy
Bob Seger
Scorpions
Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

zgodt
08-05-2011, 07:01 AM
I've seen a lot of the metal heavyweights around their prime -- Dio on the Dream Evil tour with Megadeth opening; Ozzy on the No Rest for the Wicked tour with Anthrax and Helloween opening; Maiden on the SiT tour (among others); Metallica on the AJFA tour...

Also saw Nirvana on the Nevermind tour; Pearl Jam on the Ten tour; Nine Inch Nails on their Pretty Hate Machine tour; Primus on their Sailing the Seas of Cheese tour; Soundgarden on the Badmotorfinger tour.

Saw Bob Mould and Soul Asylum when they were good. Killing Joke at a small club in downtown Ann Arbor on tour for Extremities, Dirt, and Various Repressed Emotions.

Sleater-Kinney at the Magic Stick in Detroit! Now that they've broken up, that's maybe the one I'm gladdest to have caught.

GarageMetal468
08-05-2011, 07:27 AM
Cathedral (last U.S. show)
Skinless (last show ever)
Exhumed (first U.S. show in 6 years)
Exhorder
Necrophagist
Destruction
Immortal
Symphony X
Suffocation
Overkill
Possessed

Epidemic Reign
08-05-2011, 09:01 AM
Paradise Lost anniversary DVD recording

Is that the one where they played Draconian Times in its entirety?

I wanted to see that so damn bad, but I couldn't afford the trip.
Oh well... at least I can watch the DVD.

ravenheart
08-05-2011, 09:04 AM
Is that the one where they played Draconian Times in its entirety?

I wanted to see that so damn bad, but I couldn't afford the trip.
Oh well... at least I can watch the DVD.

That's the one. Pretty sweet show.

DVD will be out soon. Cover art and details were released last week.

Solarian13
08-05-2011, 10:33 AM
In no particular order except for Pantera (the rest are just numbered for the sake of organization).

1. Pantera
2. Sleep
3. High on Fire 5 times - front row in front of Matt Pike 4 of those times, second row in front of him the other time
4. Strapping Young Lad
5. Heaven and Hell
6. Iced Earth w/ Matt Barlow
7. Iron Maiden on the Somewhere Back In Time Tour
8. GWAR 6 times
9. Opeth 3 times (hopefully 4 this fall)
10. Nevermore just before Jeff Loomis and Van Williams left

Triggz
08-05-2011, 01:47 PM
(In no real order)

1. Judas Priest
2. Despised Icon (since they've disbanded)
3. Marilyn Manson
4. GWAR
5. Cannibal Corpse
6. Fleshgod Apocalypse (since it was on their first US tour)
7. Motorhead
8. Nine Inch Nails (their "final" US tour)
9. System of a Down (their final tour before the hiatus)
10. Slayer

brutal_descent
08-05-2011, 01:56 PM
Going to re-do my list.

Judas Priest (Farewell tour)
Gojira (First band I ever saw live)
Megadeth (All of Rust In Peace)
The Dillinger Escape Plan (Headlining show)
Iron Maiden (First date of the Final Frontier European tour)
Iron Maiden (First show in Tampa FL area in 20 years or so)
Roger Waters (All of The Wall)
The Black Dahlia Murder (First time songs from Ritual get played live)
Beady Eye (First tour)
Fleshgod Apocalypse (First US tour)
System of a Down (Reunion tour)
Exhumed (Reunion tour)
Soundgarden (Reunion tour)

And bands that I'm just glad I saw:
Public Enemy
The Exploited
Electric Wizard
Meshuggah
Testament
Kvelertak
Kylesa
Watain
OFWGKTA
Opeth
ZZ Top

+ Eyehategod, Arcade Fire, Fucked Up by the end of the month.

christopher
08-05-2011, 02:23 PM
Saint Vitus(Their first headlining show in LA in about 20 years)

A Perfect Circle(I can't describe how amazing it was. I had the perfect company with me, it was such a great show)

Roger Waters(He's performed all of the Wall and it was such a great experience)

Low Threat Profile(Their only LA show ever, I wish they didn't break up)

Hank III(Fucking III is one of the best live performers imo, I love everything he puts out)

Weezer(Saw them on the beach last summer, it was just an amazing time getting fucked up in the sun watching Rivers sing Kids/Poker Face)

Marilyn Manson(The tour in 08 when Twiggy first got back in the band and they did nothing but old shit)

Black Sabbath(ozzfest 2005)

Muse(They're just awesome live)

Sage Francis(My favorite rapper)

Next month I'm going to see The Goddamn Gallows with Jayke Orvis and James Hunnicutt and I already know it'll be the best show I go to.

LAXdef16
08-05-2011, 03:59 PM
1. Iron Maiden
2. Weezer
3. Megadeth
4. Terror
5. Social Distortion
6. Despised Icon (last tour)
7. Van Halen (in '08 and it was my first rock show)
8. Slipknot (when I was really into them freshman year and they had Paul)

That's all I can really think of at the moment

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
08-05-2011, 07:56 PM
Proud I got to see the Firm back in '86. It's not Led Zep, but I got to see Jimmy Page still in his prime along with the greatness of Paul Rodgers, Chris Slade and Tony Franklin.

Butcher of Birth
08-05-2011, 09:50 PM
1. Black Sabbath
2. Carcass
3. Strapping Young Lad
4. Kataklysm (headlining my Summer Slaughter date :rocker:)
5. Mastodon (Crack the Skye)
6. Testament (1st Florida show in 10 years)
7. Iron Maiden (1st show with Bruce in Florida since 1992)
8. Star Wars in Concert
9. Blind Guardian (in support of Edge of Time, AMAZING set)
10. Sevendust (1st show back with Clint)

orlandodavis
08-05-2011, 09:53 PM
Need to see Ozzy before he dies.

Christen
08-06-2011, 03:05 AM
No particular order here.

KISS - Part of the reason I am into rock/metal music today and I never ever thought I'd get a chance to see them. One of the happiest moments in my life.

AC/DC - See KISS.

Iron Maiden - I had missed them the last time they came through here and was lucky enough to catch them on the 2010 tour.

Dream Theater - I feel lucky I got a chance to see them shortly before Mike Portnoy quit.

Ozzy Osbourne - The man is a legend, plain and simple. I may not have gotten to see him in his prime but hearing so many metal anthems was amazing.

Any time I've seen Rob Zombie - He puts on a fantastic show each time and he puts in so much energy. Always a good experience.

Megadeth - I'm putting the Rust in Peace tour in here and not when I saw them on the 2008 Gigantour. Rust in Peace is one of my top favorite metal albums and it was awesome to hear it live in it's entirety. Exodus and Testament were a nice bonus as well.

Alice Cooper - Another rock n' roll legend. Fantastic experience hearing all his rock anthems and the show he puts on is great.

Children of Bodom - This was my first show in a smaller club setting, along with Devin Townsend, Obscura and Septic Flesh. It was great seeing these guys in a more intimate setting with a smaller crowd.

Slayer - It's fucking Slayer. I don't need to say anything more.

Honorable mention goes to Motley Crue since it was my first real rock show.

I'll get to add Judas Priest to this list when I finally see them on the farewell tour. I also NEED to see Metallica at least once before they call it quits.

LAXdef16
08-06-2011, 03:41 PM
Oh yeah I forgot about Dream Theater. I'm glad I saw them before Portnoy quit as well

slapguitarer
08-06-2011, 03:44 PM
The Fall Of Troy
Sleep
Soundgarden
System Of A Down

adamclark52
08-06-2011, 04:48 PM
I saw In Flames in 1999 on the tour for COLONY at a really small venue in Toronto called the Kathedral, probably only a few hundred people there.

Mr. Bungle on their last tour in 1999.

And although I'm not too proud of it I've seen bands as opening acts only for them to become MUCH bigger than the bands they were opening for. Incubus and Finger Eleven opening for Primus come to mind.

adamclark52
08-06-2011, 04:49 PM
I saw In Flames in 1999 on the tour for COLONY at a really small venue in Toronto called the Kathedral, probably only a few hundred people there.

Mr. Bungle on their last tour in 1999.

And although I'm not too proud of it I've seen bands as opening acts only for them to become MUCH bigger than the bands they were opening for. Incubus and Finger Eleven opening for Primus come to mind.

Didn't notice this was a "top ten" thread.

metallicbrian666
08-06-2011, 05:47 PM
Sacred Reich
D.R.I.
Rotten Sound
2nd time I saw Ozzy was in the pit at Ozzfest 2010, Shot in The Dark was like a religious experience. Didn't have to pay for the wristbands either, my friend's uncle left early so we had pit for Ozzy and Crue for 28 bucks.

The best will be October 7th when I see Danzig Legacy :rocker:

GarageMetal468
08-07-2011, 12:36 AM
Sacred Reich

FUCK how did I forget them as well? I'm very grateful that they picked Chicago as the one U.S. show they did this year.

Sepultura69
08-07-2011, 12:39 AM
Warbringer........................................ .....

:eyes:

treghet
08-07-2011, 12:44 AM
Carcass, NIN, and Opeth on their 20th Anniversary tour.

makethemsuffer12
08-07-2011, 12:10 PM
Warbringer........................................ .....

:eyes:

You're really not using this as another chance to say

I SAW METALLICA AT A SMALL ASS VENUE
?

Sepultura69
08-07-2011, 02:01 PM
You're really not using this as another chance to say

I SAW METALLICA AT A SMALL ASS VENUE
?

Holy shit!!!! I didn't even think of that!!! How the hell did that slip past my radar???.

Well OK OK ok people, jokes aside. If I had to truly name a couple of bands that I am proud to have seen

-Carcass at California Metal Fest with Suffocation and Exodus as direct support. The best part about this show was that me and all my friends got into the show for FREE :D

- I think this one is pretty cliche but whatever......Slayer @ The Long Beach Arena August 30th/2010. Probably will go down as my 2nd favorite metal show of all time. A great way to end the summer for sure.

-What Makethemsuffer12 said. :D

But yeah, thats sadly all I can think of it. Pretty pathetic but oh well. Those 3 are the only ones I can think of...... :eyes

treghet
08-07-2011, 04:25 PM
-Carcass at California Metal Fest with Suffocation and Exodus as direct support. The best part about this show was that me and all my friends got into the show for FREE :D

Don't forget Repulsion! That was my favorite show I've been to.

daimonos
08-08-2011, 09:23 AM
I feel like I can add Necrophagia to the list, seeing as they don't really play in America.

Natrlhi
08-08-2011, 02:43 PM
I'd have to think about this a bit, but I know for sure that TOOL would be on the list (suck it, Manks :fingers:). So would Isis and Burst, because they're both awesome as fuck and because they both no longer exist. Same with Death, obviously. Slayer would have to be on there, too, I think (primarily because I saw them in their prime...i.e., on tour for South of Heaven). Metallica, definitely - if for no other reason that the fact that they are of truly legendary status. Speaking of which...U2 has to be on the list - for so many reasons - as well. Bolt Thrower has got to be another one, probably.

So that leaves what, like two more? How the shit do I do that? I've seen Primus, Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode, Carcass, High on Fire, Baroness, Kylesa, Clutch, Russian Circles, Meshuggah, Giant Squid, Grayceon, Mastodon, Voivod, Exodus (in their prime), Destruction (in their prime), Motorhead, Nile, Behemoth...

No. I'm not gonna do it. Fuck that. I shouldn't have even posted in this stupid fucking thread in the first place...

(;))

mankvill
08-08-2011, 03:02 PM
I'd have to think about this a bit, but I know for sure that TOOL would be on the list (suck it, Manks :fingers:). So would Isis and Burst, because they're both awesome as fuck and because they both no longer exist. Same with Death, obviously. Slayer would have to be on there, too, I think (primarily because I saw them in their prime...i.e., on tour for South of Heaven). Metallica, definitely - if for no other reason that the fact that they are of truly legendary status. Speaking of which...U2 has to be on the list - for so many reasons - as well. Bolt Thrower has got to be another one, probably.

So that leaves what, like two more? How the shit do I do that? I've seen Primus, Nine Inch Nails, Depeche Mode, Carcass, High on Fire, Baroness, Kylesa, Clutch, Russian Circles, Meshuggah, Giant Squid, Grayceon, Mastodon, Voivod, Exodus (in their prime), Destruction (in their prime), Motorhead, Nile, Behemoth...

No. I'm not gonna do it. Fuck that. I shouldn't have even posted in this stupid fucking thread in the first place...

(;))

Do I have you beat by seeing Celtic Frost?!

DethMaiden
08-08-2011, 03:13 PM
I've been to exactly 100 gigs now, so I guess I'll make my first contribution to this thread:

1. My Dying Bride - They never, never, never play the States. Haven't since like '94. A friend from home flew to England just for the show. 'Nuff said.
2. Carcass - Never thought I'd get the chance to see them but then they reunited and I did. Best death metal band ever, one of the best shows I've ever seen.
3. Anaal Nathrakh - Similarly difficult to My Dying Bride to see in the States. Also saw in London.
4. Sparrows Swarm and Sing - They didn't exist for long, and I still hold that of the hundreds of live sets I've seen, theirs is my favorite ever.
5. Romance of Young Tigers - Saw them four times before they broke up, the last being my 18th birthday. Maybe my favorite post-rock band of all time.
6. Alcest - At the time I saw them they had only done a handful of shows total and only one or two others in America. Can't wait to see them again.
7. Isis - Saw them on their last tour before they broke up.
8. Immortal - Got into them a little too late to have seen them before they broke up, really really glad I got to see the reunion.
9. Wolves in the Throne Room - Suddenly easy to see with their extensive fall tour announced, but at the time (2007, right after Two Hunters dropped) this wasn't the case.
10. Iron Maiden - Not hard to see at all but each of the three times I've seen them has been a religious experience, reminding me why I love music. Toronto in 2008 especially stands out.

Natrlhi
08-08-2011, 03:27 PM
Do I have you beat by seeing Celtic Frost?!I didn't realize it was a contest, but considering I've seen Triptykon (who also should've been on my list, BTW), I'm gonna say no. :finger:

mankvill
08-08-2011, 03:28 PM
I didn't realize it was a contest, but considering I've seen Triptykon (who also should've been on my list, BTW), I'm gonna say no. :finger:

Psh, Triptykon ain't Celtic Frost!

slapguitarer
08-08-2011, 03:33 PM
TOOL
Metallica,
High on Fire, Baroness, Kylesa, Giant Squid, Mastodon...

Seen 'em

Cormorant too.

Natrlhi
08-08-2011, 03:33 PM
2. Carcass - Never thought I'd get the chance to see them but then they reunited and I did. Best death metal band ever, one of the best shows I've ever seen.
Eh, it was aight. ;)

Natrlhi
08-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Psh, Triptykon ain't Celtic Frost!

True, but they are close.

...and did you notice that Death was on my list?

Negro, please.

brutal_descent
08-08-2011, 03:44 PM
Slayer
Metallica
Kylesa, Meshuggah, Mastodon, Destruction

Been there, done that.

Natrlhi
08-08-2011, 03:59 PM
Slayer
Metallica
DestructionBeen there, done that.
Not in the 80's, you haven't. That why these three bands are on the list, son.

Doze set lists... :bowdown: :drool:

Again...negro, please. :rolleyes:

mankvill
08-08-2011, 04:00 PM
Not in the 80's, you haven't. That why these three bands are on the list, son.

Doze set lists... :bowdown: :drool:

Again...negro, please. :rolleyes:

OH YEAH

WELL

I'VE SEEN

SUICIDE SILENC EAND WHITECHAPEL

beat that old timer

treghet
08-08-2011, 04:03 PM
OH YEAH

WELL

I'VE SEEN

beat that old timer

Don't forget the time you saw Carnifex open for those shitty old bands.

300%_Density
08-08-2011, 04:05 PM
OH YEAH

WELL

I'VE SEEN

beat that old timer

I haz seen Emmure and their hxc flat New Era hats 2x now. Troo HXC

mankvill
08-08-2011, 04:05 PM
Don't forget the time you saw Carnifex open for those shitty old bands.

:bouville:

My friend was at that concert solely for Carnifex. I talked to him a few days later and he said he stayed for about 2 songs of Unleashed and didn't like them.

- A-;;;

Natrlhi
08-08-2011, 04:18 PM
Seen 'em

Cormorant too.
I've stared Death in the eye (literally) on three separate, glorious occasions, and you try to make me jelly with CORMORANT?!?

In the words of Count Dooku:

"Master Kenobi, you disappoint me. Yoda holds you in such high esteem. Surely you can do better!"

In other words...negro, please.

slapguitarer
08-08-2011, 04:20 PM
I've stared Death in the eye on three separate., glorious occasions, and you try to make me jelly with CORMORANT?!?

In the words of Count Dooku:

"Young Master Skywalker...you disappoint me. Surely you can do better."

In other words...negro, please.

:bouville:

brutal_descent
08-08-2011, 04:38 PM
:tp:

I'm not going to whine about how I should've been born 10-20 years earlier. I've seen some pretty fucking awesome bands, and I'm going to continue seeing them as such. :fist:

DethMaiden
08-08-2011, 04:41 PM

I'm not going to whine about how I should've been born 10-20 years earlier. I've seen some pretty fucking awesome bands, and I'm going to continue seeing them as such. :fist:

That's the attitude. Fuck nostalgia. :rocker:

brutal_descent
08-08-2011, 04:49 PM
That's the attitude. Fuck nostalgia. :rocker:

I could talk about how stale Metallica is now, and how I started listening to Nine Inch Nails too late, and that I never saw Anal Cunt but what's the point? No deity is listening to me and considering teleporting me 15 years back. :lol:

DethMaiden
08-08-2011, 04:51 PM
I could talk about how stale Metallica is now, and how I started listening to Nine Inch Nails too late, and that I never saw Anal Cunt but what's the point? No deity is listening to me and considering teleporting me 15 years back. :lol:

Exactly, man. You should read this book. (http://www.amazon.com/Retromania-Pop-Cultures-Addiction-Past/dp/0865479941/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310430960&sr=8-1)

brutal_descent
08-08-2011, 04:54 PM
Exactly, man. You should read this book. (http://www.amazon.com/Retromania-Pop-Cultures-Addiction-Past/dp/0865479941/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1310430960&sr=8-1)

If you say it's good, I'll order it.

When I'm old like Nat I'll be able to brag about seeing Arcade Fire, OFWGKTA, Mastodon, Kylesa, Ghost, Fleshgod Apocalypse, among others back in the day. :tongue:

BloodoftheKings
08-08-2011, 05:28 PM
When I'm old like Nat I'll be able to brag about seeing Arcade Fire, OFWGKTA, Mastodon, Kylesa, Ghost, Fleshgod Apocalypse, among others back in the day. :tongue:

Don't get me wrong, I like them, but something tells me this won't be something to brag about in the future.

Sepultura69
08-08-2011, 11:25 PM
Slayer would have to be on there, too, I think (primarily because I saw them in their prime...i.e., on tour for South of Heaven).

:wow::bowdown:

Natrlhi
08-09-2011, 07:53 AM
OH YEAH

WELL

I'VE SEEN

beat that old timerI was going to say, "I didn't see either one of them, so I win."

However, I did see Suicide Silence once, but it was opening for Carcass. I still haven't seen Whitechapel, and don't ever plan to.

So yeah, I still win. ;)

:bouville:Well I fucked up the Star Wars quote slightly, so I guess you can make fun of me for that.

THE POINT

YOUR HEAD

Epidemic Reign
08-09-2011, 04:41 PM
In no order...

Paradise Lost
Katatonia
Nightwish
Epica
Scar Symmetry
Dark Tranquillity
Soilwork
Vader
Malevolent Creation
Electric Six

GarageMetal468
08-09-2011, 11:34 PM
Cathedral (last U.S. show)
Skinless (last show ever)
Exhumed (first U.S. show in 6 years)
Exhorder
Necrophagist
Destruction
Immortal
Symphony X
Suffocation
Overkill
Possessed

Eh I may as well add on the rest of the bands I'm happy/proud I saw

Sacred Reich
Atheist
Deicide
Agalloch
Buddy Guy
Santana
Hail of Bullets
Incantation
Kreator

MetalIsArt
09-03-2011, 04:58 AM
Aerosmith, Forest Hills, 1999: first ever concert, by my then favourite band. Pretty awesome, played some covers (snippets from Zep e.g.)

Metallica, Rock Werchter, 2004: first time seeing my heroes, amazing experience, many old songs, only two from St. Anger (title track & Frantic). Ideal weather, LOTS of people.

Slash, Graspop Metal Meeting 2010: made me realise how bad GNR is without him, and how great Myles Kennedy is.

Other bands I'm happy about for various reasons:

Fear Factory
Carcass
Machine Head
Motörhead
Dio
Jon Oliva's Pain
Sengir (belgian gothic metalband who made only one or two albums and disbanded shortly after I saw them)

JRA
09-03-2011, 10:25 AM
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Immortal
Heaven & Hell
High On Fire
Slayer
Megadeth
Anthrax
Overkill
Ozzy

christopher
09-04-2011, 04:36 PM
Corrupted
Asunder
Graves at Sea
Goat Wizard

OraclesofAgony
09-05-2011, 01:58 AM
To anyone who's seen Carcass, I fucking envy you so much.

christopher
09-05-2011, 02:06 AM

Why? They weren't that good and charged 40 something bucks for each time. They played way too much material from Heartwork. I believe they only played two songs from Reek, a few from Symphonies and a few from Necroticism. It was fucking awesome seeing Bill Steer do the lead vocals for Exhumed to Consume, but that's pretty much it. The overall shows were awesome though. First time it was with Suffocation, 1349 and Aborted. Second time was with Exodus, Suffocation, Repulsion, Toxic Holocaust, Psycroptic, Gravehill and a bunch of other cool shit.

ravenheart
09-05-2011, 02:22 AM
Slash, Graspop Metal Meeting 2010: made me realise how bad GNR is without him, and how great Myles Kennedy is.

To be honest, I think Myles is getting worse as the years go on. I've seen him in total five or six times with Alter Bridge and Slash, and every time he gets flatter and more whiny. He sounded best on the first AB album and hasn't sounded as good since.

As for Slash. Always loved his music; the Slash's Snakepit albums are two of my all-time favourite rock records. But he really doesn't bring that much to the stage. He's not particularly entertaining to watch (seen him three times in total with Velvet Revolver and solo), especially compared to DJ Ashba, and he's nowhere near as good a player as Ron Thal.

I'm probably the biggest GN'R fan here, and in absolute honesty, I wouldn't care if he did or didn't reunite with them. People get too hung up on the image and reputation of Slash in GN'R, when he really isn't that important.

I'll still go see him whenever he comes through, because I still love all of his music, but I go to a Slash show now to see the songs, particularly the Snakepit songs I never got a chance to see, not really for the performance, because that aspect isn't all that good.

Epidemic Reign
09-05-2011, 04:30 AM

I was at a Carcass show once, and I was really looking forward to seeing them, but I was deep in fucking relationship issues at the time and I drank myself into oblivion before they hit the stage :lol: I was semi-conscious on the venue patio when I recognized the intro to Incarnated Solvent Abuse, and I rushed in to watch, and then their set was over. Not one of my favorite memories overall.

moobys37
09-05-2011, 11:24 AM
In no particular order:

Godspeed You! Black Emperor
Agalloch
Celtic Frost
Triptykon
Type O Negative
Baroness
Porcupine Tree
Bolt Thrower
Isis
Mogwai

ravenheart
09-05-2011, 01:17 PM
Triptykon

Next year! Fucking finally!

Wizzbang11
09-05-2011, 02:04 PM
Why? They weren't that good and charged 40 something bucks for each time. They played way too much material from Heartwork. I believe they only played two songs from Reek, a few from Symphonies and a few from Necroticism. It was fucking awesome seeing Bill Steer do the lead vocals for Exhumed to Consume, but that's pretty much it. The overall shows were awesome though. First time it was with Suffocation, 1349 and Aborted. Second time was with Exodus, Suffocation, Repulsion, Toxic Holocaust, Psycroptic, Gravehill and a bunch of other cool shit.

Idk dude, Carcass is one of the best shows I've ever seen. I saw em on the first leg of Exhume to Consume, and while there was a bit much from Heartwork, they played most of Necroticism and a decent number off the first two, and they played them excellently. It was $30 at my venue but totally worth it.

ravenheart
09-05-2011, 02:10 PM
You haven't seen Bill Steer until you've seen Firebird :finger:

HackedUpForBBQ
09-05-2011, 03:22 PM
-Danzig w/ Doyle
-Black Sabbath w/ Dio
-Black Sabbath w/ Ozzy
-Type O Negative
-Roger Waters
-Possessed
-Immortal
-Anthrax w/ Joey Belladonna
-Ministry
-Pentagram

Honorable Mentions: Iron Maiden, Motorhead, Alice Cooper, Opeth, Megadeth on the Rust In Peace tour

mankvill
09-05-2011, 05:34 PM
Top ten bands I would brag about seeing in rough order:

1. Celtic Frost
2. Saint Vitus
3. Destroyer 666
4. Diamond Head
5. Quo Vadis on their 2nd ever US show
6. Naglfar on their 1st ever US tour
7. Unleashed
8. Swallow The Sun
9. Ares Kingdom
10. Decapitated with Coven and Vitek

Wizzbang11
09-05-2011, 05:47 PM
Jungle Rot- Wanted to see them for years before I did, were one of my favorite bands almost since I first heard them, they never ever tour the US, etc.

Ghoul- Love Ghoul, they probably won't be playing much more, on top of the already small amount of shows they play, and I have been lucky enough to see them twice

General Surgery- Fucking awesome, Swedish goregrind bands don't come here to often

Abscess- at the time I did not appreciate this for what it was, but Abscess only do a handful of one off shows, and they rule, so to see them was awesome

Carcass- Arguably my favorite band, most likely the only chance I will get to see them

Iron Maiden- I realize everyone saw SBIT, but I love Maiden, and c'mon, that set was historic

Dragonforce- Because maybe one day seeing ZP will be like having seen Di'Anno

Turisas- First American tour

This needs some alteration . Jungle Rot aren't really good anymore and have toured a bunch, but at the time it was rare and awesome.
Ghoul should be replaced because they too aren't as good as they once were and after lots of CA shows and an upcoming big tour, it won't be that awesomely special. But the first time I saw Ghoul 4 years ago was, so I guess that stays. Mayyyybe replace them with Impaled since they now fill the "Ghoul spot". Dragonforce didn't pan out the way I maybe thought it did when I wrote this, so they are off. And who gives a fuck about Turisas, also off.

Adding in Portal, Roger Waters, Murder Junkies, Cannabis Corpse (because the show is the live performance in the Skull Full of Bonghits music video) and Agalloch because that still seems to be a big deal.

After December the entire list will probably be redone :D

xStructualDefect
09-05-2011, 05:56 PM
The only one I'm most happy and proud of seeing is At The Gates, which was on their reunion tour 3 years ago. One of the best performances I've ever seen.

Natrlhi
09-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Why? They weren't that good and charged 40 something bucks for each time. They played way too much material from Heartwork. I believe they only played two songs from Reek, a few from Symphonies and a few from Necroticism.This statement is full of sour grapes and fail. I saw Carcass a few years ago - the show which ultimately led from me being a simple lurker on here to one of the top twenty posters (although it's more about quantity that quality in my case, I'm sure ;)) - and the show was pretty damned awesome. In fact, it was so awesome that I didn't even mind that I had to stand through the monumentally awful Suicide Silence in order to witness it. The ticket cost was nowhere near $40 (less than $30, as I recall), and they played plenty of old songs (about half the set was composed of material from the first three albums).

y u mad, bro?

Natrlhi
09-05-2011, 07:26 PM
Oh, and on the subject of this thread:

Man's Gin and Bruce Lamont are now on my list. :fist: :cool:

The Colonel
09-06-2011, 12:54 AM
Carcass - One of my all time favorite bands who I never got to see back in the day. Saw them twice on the reunion tour, both times with Suffocation, plus Rotten Sound at the Hollywood show. The setlist was awesome.

Morbid Angel - My first death metal show when I was 13. Covenant had just come out and David Vincent still ruled. I believe this was also their first show with Erik Rutan on guitar. Seen them twice since with different line ups, but that first time was a life changing event.

Avail - My all time favorite hardcore band. Saw them 8 times before they split up and every one of those shows was amazing. Technically "on hiatus" but I've heard some things that make me believe they're done. I wish I could see them one more time though.

Dystopia - Another band who never officially broke up, but they won't play shows unless Todd is able to. Seems unlikely to ever happen. Saw them 6 times between 1997-2000. Got to share the stage with them the last time I saw them, at Gilman St. in June 2000.

His Hero Is Gone - Saw them play in Matt Martinez's(Landmine Marathon bassist) living room on what wound up being their last U.S. tour. The cops showed up to break the show up, but HHIG played anyway. They played their whole set as fast as they could without stopping and finished before the pigs could come back.

Mr. Bungle - Saw them at an outdoor headlining show on two hits of acid right after California came out. A storm broke out after Dillinger Escape Plan's set and the show almost got rained out. Bungle wound up going on about an hour late, but they were phenomenal. The acid and lightning definitely added to the whole experience.

Nirvana - Saw them at the AZ State Fair about 4 months before Cobain died. Not only was it an awesome performance, but I had just moved here and made some life long friends that night. I'll also never forget the opening salvo of songs, Radio Friendly Unit Shifter, Breed, Drain You, my 3 favorite Nirvana songs!

Pantera - Saw them about a month after Far Beyond Driven came out. Crowbar opened. Pantera were on fire that night. Probably the last tour they did where they played relatively small venues. Never got to see them again after that.

Emperor - On the last(only?) U.S. tour they did before their initial breakup, right after Equillibrium came out. They played the Rialto Theater in Tucson, which is a rad venue, with Witchery, Borknagar, and Peccatum. One of the few black metal bands I like, and definitely the only one that was worth a shit live.

Regurgitate - At MDF in '05 and '07. One of my favorite grind bands, a definite influence on many of the bands I've been in. From what I hear they're not going to be a live band anymore, so I'm glad I got to see them when I did.

christopher
09-06-2011, 01:01 AM
Was Todd the reason Dystopia won't play? I thought it was Matt? I'm seeing Mange and Ghoul in a few weeks and Dino and Todd are playing sets that weekend.

MetalIsArt
09-06-2011, 01:13 AM
This statement is full of sour grapes and fail. I saw Carcass a few years ago - the show which ultimately led from me being a simple lurker on here to one of the top twenty posters (although it's more about quantity that quality in my case, I'm sure ;)) - and the show was pretty damned awesome. In fact, it was so awesome that I didn't even mind that I had to stand through the monumentally awful Suicide Silence in order to witness it. The ticket cost was nowhere near $40 (less than $30, as I recall), and they played plenty of old songs (about half the set was composed of material from the first three albums).

y u mad, bro?

They played a lot from Heartwork at GMM 2010 too, but that was one mighty brutal show.

So I'm with ya here.

christopher
09-06-2011, 03:14 AM
This statement is full of sour grapes and fail. I saw Carcass a few years ago - the show which ultimately led from me being a simple lurker on here to one of the top twenty posters (although it's more about quantity that quality in my case, I'm sure ;)) - and the show was pretty damned awesome. In fact, it was so awesome that I didn't even mind that I had to stand through the monumentally awful Suicide Silence in order to witness it. The ticket cost was nowhere near $40 (less than $30, as I recall), and they played plenty of old songs (about half the set was composed of material from the first three albums).

y u mad, bro?

Ok. I just looked at my ticket stubs. The show at the House of Blues with Suffo, 1349 and Aborted was $51.50(41.50 plus $10 service charge) and the California Metalfest with all the other bands I listed was $35 before service charges, but I was able to buy a ticket from Rhett of Gravehill one extremely rainy night for $30. Here's the setlist I got for both shows(the first one didn't have Empathological Necroticism)

Inpropagation
Buried Dreams
Corporal Jigsore Quandary
Carnal Forge
Empathological Necroticism
Incarnated Solvent Abuse
No Love Lost
Edge Of Darkness
This Mortal Coil
Embodiment
Reek Of Putrefaction
Keep On Rotting In The Free World
Genital Grinder
Rotten To The Gore
Death Certificate
Exhume To Consume
Ruptured In Purulence / Heartwork / Carneous Cacoffiny

That is a great selection of the non Heartwork and Swansong songs, but there is way too much Heartwork. That's also fucked up that Ruptured in Purulence and Carneous Cacoffiny were cock teases and played as a medley for Heartwork. Seven songs from Heartwork, two too many from Swansong, three full songs from Necroticism, three full songs from Symphonies and two songs from Reek.

ravenheart
09-06-2011, 03:25 AM
So, what the old man said about the set was right then. "About half" from the first three albums. 8/17 is about half.

christopher
09-06-2011, 03:30 AM
So, what the old man said about the set was right then. "About half" from the first three albums. 8/17 is about half.

I never said he was lying for that point ;) I just feel they were a disappointment for playing too much of the melodic death metal songs when I went to hear some goregrind.

ravenheart
09-06-2011, 03:41 AM
I never said he was lying for that point ;) I just feel they were a disappointment for playing too much of the melodic death metal songs when I went to hear some goregrind.

I was more reaffirming him. Old people need that from time to time ;)

The Colonel
09-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Was Todd the reason Dystopia won't play? I thought it was Matt? I'm seeing Mange and Ghoul in a few weeks and Dino and Todd are playing sets that weekend.

To the best of my knowledge, Todd is not in Mange anymore. I could be wrong about that. Matt is currently playing in the band Kicker. As I understand it, Todd is extremely fucked up on drugs and has some mental health issues. Dystopia won't play until he has his shit sorted out. I haven't seen him in about 5 years and last time I did he was sitting out front of the Blvd trying to sell records. I've met him countless times before that, but he seemed to have no idea who I was. Really sad. I hope he's getting better.

The Colonel
09-06-2011, 09:53 AM
Ok. I just looked at my ticket stubs. The show at the House of Blues with Suffo, 1349 and Aborted was $51.50(41.50 plus $10 service charge) and the California Metalfest with all the other bands I listed was $35 before service charges, but I was able to buy a ticket from Rhett of Gravehill one extremely rainy night for $30. Here's the setlist I got for both shows(the first one didn't have Empathological Necroticism)

Inpropagation
Buried Dreams
Carnal Forge
Incarnated Solvent Abuse
No Love Lost
Edge Of Darkness
This Mortal Coil
Embodiment
Reek Of Putrefaction
Genital Grinder
Rotten To The Gore
Death Certificate
Exhume To Consume

That is a great selection of the non Heartwork and Swansong songs, but there is way too much Heartwork. That's also fucked up that Ruptured in Purulence and Carneous Cacoffiny were cock teases and played as a medley for Heartwork. Seven songs from Heartwork, two too many from Swansong, three full songs from Necroticism, three full songs from Symphonies and two songs from Reek.

Not to nitpick, but I was at that House of Blues show, as well as their show in Tempe, and they did not play all of Edge Of Darkness. They played the intro to it leading into Mortal Coil, just like they did with Ruptured into Heartwork. I was really happy with this setlist. When I left I was thinking that if they added Empathological Necroticism into the set it would be damn near perfect, so I was stoked when they added that in at the Tempe show. Did you miss Rotten Sound at that show? They were the first band that night and they fucking killed!

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-06-2011, 10:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Witchcraft

J
E
A
L
O
U
S

Setlist plz ;)

Probably something close to this since I saw them later that month:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/celtic-frost/1987/harpos-detroit-mi-43d52367.html

The Usurper
Mexican Radio
Inner Sanctum
Visions of Mortality
Dethroned Emperor
Mesmerized
Morbid Tales
Procreation (of the Wicked)

Sounds about right if I recall.

brutal_descent
09-06-2011, 10:10 AM
My Dying Bride, Vreid, Napalm Death, Between The Buried And Me, Inquisition, and Altar Of Plagues are all going on my list by the end of the year. :)

mankvill
09-06-2011, 10:19 AM
Probably something close to this since I saw them later that month:

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/celtic-frost/1987/harpos-detroit-mi-43d52367.html

The Usurper
Mexican Radio
Inner Sanctum
Visions of Mortality
Dethroned Emperor
Mesmerized
Morbid Tales
Procreation (of the Wicked)

Sounds about right if I recall.

Hmm, what was the running order of that show? With that set, I'd assume Celtic Frost didn't headline.

Also Procreation (Of The Wicked) was pretty much the heaviest song I'd ever heard when they opened with it in 2006.

larvtard
09-06-2011, 10:34 AM
I dunno what your guys' problem is with Heartwork. That album is fucking incredible. Their goregrind shit does nothing for me.

MetalIsArt
09-06-2011, 10:44 AM
I dunno what your guys' problem is with Heartwork. That album is fucking incredible. Their goregrind shit does nothing for me.

Apart from their first, I like all Carcass albums.

Dunno what the problem was here.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
09-06-2011, 10:59 AM
Hmm, what was the running order of that show? With that set, I'd assume Celtic Frost didn't headline.

Also Procreation (Of The Wicked) was pretty much the heaviest song I'd ever heard when they opened with it in 2006.

Anthrax was the headliner and CF and Exodus were the openers. I can't recall who went on first. I think CF.

xStructualDefect
09-06-2011, 01:01 PM

This

treghet
09-06-2011, 06:35 PM

Just because you don't like it doesn't mean other people don't want to hear it. I love Heartwork, but it would be awesome if they threw in another song or two from Reek of Putrefaction.

larvtard
09-06-2011, 06:42 PM
Just because you don't like it doesn't mean other people don't want to hear it. I love Heartwork, but it would be awesome if they threw in another song or two from Reek of Putrefaction.

:violin:

Actually, I'm listening to Necroticism right now and this shit is phenomenal! So disregard my previous statement.

JRA
09-06-2011, 06:46 PM
I think Reek is super overrated but I'd love it if they brought Suppuration or Burnt To A Crisp into the setlist.

treghet
09-06-2011, 06:51 PM
:violin:

Actually, I'm listening to Necroticism right now and this shit is phenomenal! So disregard my previous statement.

You know that's not goregrind, right? But yes, it's phenomenal. :rocker:

larvtard
09-06-2011, 06:53 PM
You know that's not goregrind, right? But yes, it's phenomenal. :rocker:

Yeah, what I meant before was I didn't like any pre-Heartwork Carcass. I kinda hate Reek of Putrefaction, though.

GarageMetal468
09-06-2011, 07:08 PM
Yeah, what I meant before was I didn't like any pre-Heartwork Carcass. I kinda hate Reek of Putrefaction, though.

Yeah Reek is pretty much noise. Necroticism is my favorite Carcass album, but Symphonies of Sickness is another awesome one

OraclesofAgony
09-06-2011, 11:21 PM

Inpropagation
Buried Dreams
Carnal Forge
Incarnated Solvent Abuse
No Love Lost
Edge Of Darkness
This Mortal Coil
Embodiment
Reek Of Putrefaction
Genital Grinder
Rotten To The Gore
Death Certificate
Exhume To Consume

I wish I had been able to get into this conversation earlier but since I fried my laptop with beer last week I've been out of the loop recently. I'll be back in a couple days. :lol:

This setlist just makes me even more pissed off that I missed them.

Inpropogation! Fucking Corporal Jigsore Quandary! Reek Of Fucking Putrefaction (the song :tongue:)! I love every fucking song on this list (except for no love lost, that one's kinda meh).

And yes, Necroticism makes me jizz everywhere. One of my favorite death metal albums ever.

I would've gladly paid 50 bucks to see this. (Although the California Metalfest show was the one I actually had a chance to go to, if I had my driver's license at the time :mad: ).

The Colonel
09-07-2011, 12:51 PM
Just for the record, I absolutely love everything Carcass has ever done, Swan Song and Wake Up... included. I was stoked on the set they played the two times I saw them and wouldn't have taken out anything. In fact, I would've added more Necroticism and Swan Song.

Sepultura69
09-08-2011, 01:36 AM
I would've gladly paid 50 bucks to see this. (Although the California Metalfest show was the one I actually had a chance to go to, if I had my driver's license at the time :mad: ).

Me and my friends saw Carcass at the Anahiem California Metal Festival.....FOR FREE, MUTHA FUCKA. I don't know what Vegantopher is talking about but I thought they were absolutley FUCKING AMAZING. HOLY FUCKING TRIZZLEZ :rocker: :rocker:

HackedUpForBBQ
09-11-2011, 07:55 AM
Forgot to mention Quiet Riot on my original list. RIP, Kevin Dubrow

beyondtheblack
10-15-2011, 02:13 PM
Next year! Fucking finally!

http://www.gigantic.com/g~affiliate=gettothefront~g/gigantic/home_destroyers_of_the_faith.html

brutal_descent
10-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Forgotten Tomb
Electric Wizard
Triptykon
Eyehategod
Impaled
Meshuggah
Judas Priest
Watain
Inquisition
Exhumed
Dark Castle
Napalm Death
Kvelertak
and Yob

mankvill
10-15-2011, 02:59 PM
I can definitely add Diamond Head to my list.

Akumu
10-15-2011, 06:14 PM
Hmmm...

Therion
Avantasia
Ihsahn
Seventh Wonder
Oceans of Sadness
Primordial
Circus Maximus
Vanden Plas
Haken
Leprous

+ Fates Warning, Tarot.

IrritatedTrout
10-16-2011, 01:51 AM
1. Iron Maiden x10 (Specifically happy to have seen the AMOLAD tour)
2. Black Sabbath x4 (3 times with Dio, once with Ozzy)
3. The Metal Masters Tour in 2008 (Priest, Sabbath, Motorhead, Testament)

Those are what I'm most proud of but that doesn't include seeing a ton of great bands sometimes up to 6 times just because it's not all that uncommon for them to tour.

Epidemic Reign
10-16-2011, 01:55 AM
3. The Metal Masters Tour in 2008 (Priest, Sabbath, Motorhead, Testament)

Fuck you, Big 4!

Epidemic Reign
10-16-2011, 02:38 AM
Honestly, I can't say I'm more happy/proud about seeig anything as much as the very first time Electric Six played "Clusterfuck!" live. I WAS THERE :D

http://youtu.be/TMvOazvo2lM

MPF
10-16-2011, 02:48 AM
I guess I can update this again in no particular order:

Devin Townsend
Dream Theater
Evergrey
Sabaton
Nevermore
Atheist
Novembers Doom
Dredg
Metallica
Fair To Midland

Jasonic
10-17-2011, 07:50 AM
I can definitely add Diamond Head to my list.

Yep, I feel very fortunate to have catch this tour as well.
Even without Sean Harris, it was a good time.
I consider it a once in a lifetime opportunity, because unless Metallica or Megadeth bring them out as a support act, their chances of returning to the States is slim to none.

mankvill
10-17-2011, 11:52 AM
Yep, I feel very fortunate to have catch this tour as well.
Even without Sean Harris, it was a good time.
I consider it a once in a lifetime opportunity, because unless Metallica or Megadeth bring them out as a support act, their chances of returning to the States is slim to none.

:fist:

It was so awesome. Saw them at a little outdoor place and there was maybe less than fifty people there, but the guys had a great time.

illuminatus917
10-17-2011, 11:16 PM
Whoever it was that said they saw Sigur Rós at Bonnaroo in '08 at like 1:00 in the morning, and that it was the most magical show ever... that's probably the ultimate show you should be proud of seeing. I can't think of any show I'd rather have seen than that one, except maybe Pink Floyd when they did Pulse.

I just looked up the setlist for that show, and holy god...
http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidwatts1978/2583970818/

There's a rumor Sigur Rós is writing a new album and possibly touring next year, though.

Maiden33
10-18-2011, 11:30 PM
Avantasia
Seventh Wonder
Circus Maximus
Vanden Plas
Fates Warning

So, so jealous right now. If I were to make a "Top 10 bands I want to see", I think all 5 of these would be on it.

Jasonic
10-19-2011, 06:15 AM
Avail - My all time favorite hardcore band. Saw them 8 times before they split up and every one of those shows was amazing. Technically "on hiatus" but I've heard some things that make me believe they're done. I wish I could see them one more time though.

GREAT band! I have seen them countless times during the 90s.

My list would be enormous if I were to include non-metal bands as well.

Since you mentioned a hardcore band, I will post a few select punk/HC bands I am proud to say I was able to see in their prime:

7 Seconds
Toxic Reasons
Poison Idea
Bad Brains
Naked Raygun
Screeching Weasel
Fugazi

KillerCannabis
10-20-2011, 02:44 PM
I saw Danzig play with the "classic" lineup on Halloween night 1994 in Irvine. Type O Negative opened.

White Zombie, 1996, Halloween show (technically done on 10/28) in Irvine.

TonyD
10-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Didn't Kyuss open that tour?

Jochen
10-25-2011, 12:34 AM
1. Type O Negative - twice. I saw Jaegermeister 2008, which was okay, and the last show I saw was their third-to-last show ever, also one of the best setlists I've seen. I was never more excited for a show than that one. They were (and still are) my favorite band of all time, and there's nothing like seeing your absolute favorite band in concert.

2. Danzig - three times. I saw the 20th Anniversary Tour, DRS 2011, and the Legacy set in Chicago, best show ever. I never thought I'd have the chance to see him, with all his nonsense about retiring, so I can really appreciate the shows I've seen..

3. Roger Waters doing Dark Side of the Moon in 2007. I know he toured pretty extensively for this, but with him doing The Wall now, DSOTM will never happen again.

4. Gojira. Three times. The first time was opening for Lamb of God in 2007, I hadn't heard them prior to that, and they blew me away. Then I saw the open for In Flames in 2008. Last time I saw them they headlined a bar in 2009 on an off-date of the Death Magnetic tour, it was one of the best shows I've ever seen.

5. Napalm Death - 2008, opening for Devildriver. they haven't toured the US in a while, kind of a life-changing performance.

6. Slayer - four times. 2006, 2007, 2009, 2010. I got to see them before they stopped playing songs from Hell Awaits, but, it was when they stopped doing real headlining shows in the US and started co-headlining every tour. But, they were all great shows, especially Unholy Alliance 2006, which was also my first GA metal show.

7. Megadeth - five times. Gigantour 2006, 2007, Gigantour 2008, 2009, 2010. Best show was the RIP tour, one of my favorite albums of all time.

8. Metallica - twice. 2005, 2009. Both times were great, but the first time was pretty unique. 11/15/05.

9. Immolation - 2010. My favorite death metal band. Even though they've been touring steadily for the past two years, they seem to have pretty poor attendance at their shows, which makes me worry that they'll hang it up after the next album or two.

10. Cynic - 2009. I saw their first US tour post-reunion. I remember it seemed liked like forever since I started liking them before I finally got to see them. Unfortunately, I haven't seen them since, but I'll try to catch them this November.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-02-2011, 02:30 AM
In alphabetical order:

Athiest

Bela Fleck and the Flecktones (Original Lineup)

Black Uhuru

Buffalo Springfield

Halucinogen

Huey Lewis and the rUMors (one time only show, Huey with Umphrey's McGee as his band plus Mad Dog's Filthy Little Secret Horn Section and Two Backup Signers.)

Iron Maiden

Pestilence

Return to Forever

Thievery Corporation

Welder

Pretty decent list for a 20 year old I'd like to think.

MPF
12-02-2011, 03:53 AM
Atheist

Minnesota Metalfest by chance?

TheGrandWazoo40
12-02-2011, 09:35 AM
DING DING!

Were you one of the like, 75, people that showed up? hahaha

That was the first time they came to Mn since the year I was born!

hb420
12-02-2011, 03:00 PM
The greatest show to ever come by Albuquerque has to be Carcass in March '09. :drool: It was such a shame that Suicide Silence opened up for them. All the fucking scene kids who comprised like 2/3s of the crowd, left right after their set. Jeff Walker called them all a bunch of pussies and said now that they were gone real metal could be played. :lol:

TheGrandWazoo40
12-02-2011, 03:03 PM
Hahahaha Awesome...

MPF
12-02-2011, 03:13 PM
DING DING!

Were you one of the like, 75, people that showed up? hahaha

That was the first time they came to Mn since the year I was born!

Haha yes I was. it was such a great lineup, Primal Fear, Atheist, Novembers Doom, Destroy Destroy Destroy Gnostic, and all the local bands.

Being born in 88, It was my first time ever seeing them. With the way things are going, probably only time. Even if it was technically a supporting set.

TheGrandWazoo40
12-02-2011, 03:14 PM
They still got damn near an hour and a half if I'm not mistaken. They said they were coming back soon, but that hasn't happened. : /

Oh well, once is better than never.

ImmortalEmperor
12-02-2011, 03:15 PM
Return to Forever

The 2008 tour with Di Meola or the one this year with Frank Gambale?

Both were outstanding...

TheGrandWazoo40
12-02-2011, 03:17 PM
Psh.. Frank Gambale? You mean Jean Luc Ponty with Frank Gambale trying to keep up? hahaha

I saw them this summer. :P

BlackDiamond
12-02-2011, 07:59 PM
Black Sabbath and Judas Priest on the same bill
Black Sabbath and Iron Maiden on the same bill

Metallica

Bruce Dickinson on the Accident of Birth tour back in 1997. It was my first time seeing Bruce and he played 4 Maiden songs, Two Minutes to Midnight, Powerslave, Flight Of Icarus and ended the show with The Prisoner. Still one of my favorite shows of all time. Best part is I paid $7 for the ticket to see this show.

I forget what year it was but I got to see Mastodon open up for Gwar during the Remission tour. It was a 5 band bill and they were either the 2nd or 3rd band on. I had no clue who they were but I was really impressed by them, at times they sounded like a train wreck and at times awesome. Since I had no clue who they where I had no clue about any of the songs but there was one song stuck out that night that made me love this band. That song I later found out was called March Of The Fire Ants :rocker:

Rocco44
12-03-2011, 12:03 AM
At The Gates
Black Sabbath with Ozzy and Dio
Iron Maiden
Judas Priest
Opeth - seen them a bunch of times but they are so good live and the anniversary shows remain some of my favorites ever
Saint Vitus
Yob
Primordial
Porcupine Tree
Russian Circles

hb420
12-03-2011, 12:09 AM
Saint Vitus
Yob
Primordial
Porcupine Tree
Russian Circles

I'm completely jealous of these. Is Primordial really good live? I wonder when was the last time they came to the states.

Rocco44
12-03-2011, 12:36 AM
I'm completely jealous of these. Is Primordial really good live? I wonder when was the last time they came to the states.

Yeah, sorry to say I thought they were incredible. I saw them at the House of Blues and then at a small venue in San Marcos. What a difference a venue makes because it gave me the opportunity to witness one of my favorite all time vocalists up close, so close in fact that I nearly hit his mic while headbanging. An amazing experience I will never forget.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SCtcF0VsmRE

Can't figure out how to embed haha, but this is a pretty good video of "Coffin Ships" from that show.

toolfansat
03-22-2013, 08:02 AM
1. Stevie Ray Vaughan (3x) - once in a shitty little club when nobody knew who he was, then is a small theater, and on his last tour - with Jeff Beck). All amazing.

2. Metallica (3x) Including The Big 4 show at Yankee Stadium in NYC.

3. Aerosmith (5x), but mostly happy I got to see them in their prime in '77/'78 before they a) got completely fucked up and b) went soft.

4. KISS - (6x) again, in their prime in '77 with the 4 original members. Also taking my kids to their first show to see them from the 10th row was something they (and I) will never forget!

5. Roger Waters doing The Wall. Jaw-dropping performance. The most $$$ I ever paid for a show and worth every penny.

6. Rammstein (3x) - always amazing and worth the money.

7. Joe Perry Project in a small venue after the Aerosmith "Train Wreck 2010" tour fell apart.

8. Foo Fighters - great show, but took my daughter for her 18th birthday and she loves them, so that was a great night for me!

9. Motorhead from the rail at the House of Blues in Las Vegas

10. Ace Frehley from the rail in a small venue. Loudest show I've ever been to.

WOLVERINEKILLS
03-22-2013, 06:49 PM
It would have to be bands with line ups that you are unable to see now or are unlikely to see again:

Pantera
Alice In Chains w/ Layne & Starr
Black Sabbath w/ Bill Ward
Type O Negative
Judas Priest w/ KK & Halford
Ozzy Osbourne No More Tears line up w/ Castillo, Wylde & Inez
White Zombie
Megadeth w/ Friedman & Menza
Slayer w/ Hanneman & Lombardo
Sepultura w/ Cavalera bros, Kisser and Paulo

Honorable mention:
The Ramones w/ CJ, Marky, Joey & Johnny
Superjoint Ritual
Down w/ Rex Brown
Machine Head w/ Flynn, Duce, Mader and Kontos
Deftones w/ Chi

ravenheart
03-23-2013, 05:39 AM

Yes, they're awesome. I've seen them twice; last time they were absolutely fucking flawless.

IrritatedTrout
03-23-2013, 12:05 PM
New list:

1. Iron Maiden, soon to be 17 times.

2. Black Sabbath with all four original members once and with Dio and Vinny 3 times.

3. The Metal Masters tour with Judas Priest, Heaven and Hell, Motorhead, and Testament. Seriously, I don't know that a better line-up is possible.

4. Slayer / Megadeth / Anthrax was another one of those near perfect lineups.

5. Nothing too impressive but I'm glad to have seen a lot of bands a good number of times, Motorhead 4 times, Mastodon 4 times, Alice Cooper 7 times, Megadeth 8 times, Testament 4 times, Rush, AiC, and Kiss 3 times, etc.

RampinUp46
03-24-2013, 12:32 AM
Slayer - I feel very fortunate for seeing all four original members at this show as well. My mom escorted me to the show when I was 13 because she didn't know what went on at metal shows and wanted to know what I was into.

...Let's just say she started letting me go by myself from then on after seeing Slayer. :lol:

Iron Maiden - No explanation necessary.

Eyehategod - Mike IX was a huge inspiration to me as a vocalist and as a musician, and I've been a huge fan since I was 13, so meeting him (and seeing him twice + getting his signature tattooed on my arm) was pretty cool, to say the least.

Morbid Angel - David Vincent was the reason why I picked up bass along with the guitar, plus Altars of Madness is probably my favorite death metal record ever. Hearing "Lord of All Fevers and Plague" live sent chills down my spine.

Rammstein - It's the band that got me into rock/metal, plus they brought back years of German I had forgotten. Huge nostalgia factor there.

Skinny Puppy - Before I was into metal, I was into electronic music, and Skinny Puppy was one of my favorite groups, so seeing them live was really cool.

D.R.I. - They got me into harder music and harder pits and away from all the "false bullshit" I was listening to at the time.

Cannibal Corpse - They may be "baby's first metal band" for some people, but for a kid that grew up in a shitty town with no way to access the life in Austin only a few miles away, this was the band to see/listen to if you liked metal - not to imply that that's the only reason why I got into them or anything.

GWAR - Flattus Maximus was still alive, they played in a tiny little club the size of an apartment, and the barrier broke during the second song. Money well spent!

Exhumed - They changed a lot about what I considered metal to be (after the D.R.I. show, of course). Everyone kept telling me about Exhumed, "Oh man, ya gotta check them out!", "Dude, Exhumed is the shit man!", and so on. I decided to give them a shot, but I didn't know what to find on YouTube, so I forgot about it. Around a month later, I remember grabbing one of their records (I want to say either "Slaughtercult" or "Gore Metal"; I've since lost this record) and it blew my fucking mind.

...Man, I miss that record. :bouville:

Onioner
03-24-2013, 01:38 AM
Metal Masters Tour - Judas Priest w/ KK, Heaven & Hell, Motorhead and Testament. Nuff said.

Saxon - One of the best shows I have ever seen, and who knows when they'll tour again.

Iron Maiden - Somewhere Back in Time and Maiden England tours, the greatest setlists ever.

Cormorant - got to see a phenomenal set and chat with everyone from the band before Arthur left. I've still got some good times lined up for the summer with Matt, Nick and Brennan though! ;)

Kyuss Lives - The Wiltern show that I saw had both Scott and Nick play bass and the band did a 2 hour+ set. Definitely something I'll brag about for awhile.

Exodus - First time I saw them they played for over 2 hours in the best venue in the bay, Slim's. The third time I saw them they played all of Bonded by Blood and had reunions with Rick Hunolt, Jeff Andrews and Kirk Hammett. Yeah.

Megadeth - They played My Last fucking Words. NO ONE ELSE GOT THAT SHIT BUT US.

Forbidden - I saw one of their last shows before Russ got all sadface and the band went on hiatus.

Sleep - These guys don't exactly tour like dogs, so I consider myself super lucky to have seen them once. It was a holy experience.

Pentagram - Now that Victor Griffin is no longer with them, I feel fortunate as fuck to have seen them with him.

Dimebag_Rusty
03-24-2013, 03:40 AM
Carcass
Arsis
Necrophagist
W.A.S.P (crimson idol anniversary tour)
Norther before Petri left
Heaven and Hell
System of a Down
Arch Enemy with Chris Amott
Mantic Ritual (sucks they broke up)

I may think of some more later

PVH5150
03-24-2013, 11:08 AM
Van Halen (3x)
Rammstein
Opeth
Michael Schenker Group
Judas Priest (2x)
Motorhead (3x)
Sunn O)))
Scorpions
Rush (3x)
Whitesnake (3x)

elturtleboy
03-25-2013, 10:53 PM
Honorable mention:
The Ramones w/ CJ, Marky, Joey & Johnny

Honorable????? You have no idea how extremely jealous iam of that.

WOLVERINEKILLS
03-25-2013, 11:09 PM
Honorable????? You have no idea how extremely jealous iam of that.

It was an honor but the truth is I am not a big fan of punk. But even I know that it was cool to see those guys!!! It was Lollapalooza 96 with Screaming Trees, Rancid, RATM, The Ramones, Soundgarden & Metallica.