PDA

View Full Version : The Top Ten (Active) Bands You Want to See

Maiden33
05-05-2010, 08:42 PM
Recently inspired by a conversation with ButcherofBirth via Facbeook:

Who are the top 10 bands that you haven't seen live that you want to see? For the purposes of logic, please omit any bands that are either broken up, are indefinitely inactive (at least live), or are studio-only projects.

As usual, I'll post mine in a little while.

Wizzbang11
05-05-2010, 08:52 PM
1.Barathrum
2.Blood Freak
3.Midnight
4.Bolt Thrower
5.Revenge
6.Sodom
7.King Diamond
8.Impaled
9.Nunslaughter
10.Immortal

yeah, Blood Freak over King Diamond :eyes:

mankvill
05-05-2010, 08:55 PM
In no real order:

1. Sodom
2. Iron Maiden
3. Impaled Nazarene
4. Radiohead
5. Absu
6. King Diamond/Mercyful Fate
7. Rhapsody Of Fire
8. Blind Guardian
9. Rage Against The Machine
10. Antaeus (I still have hope)

Maiden33
05-05-2010, 09:02 PM
In a rough order:

01.Evergrey
02.Fates Warning
03.Dio (Still have hope that I will get a chance)
04.Riot
05.LORD
06.Redemption
07.Royal Hunt
08.Angra
09.Circus Maximus
10.Journey

Also nods to Whitesnake, Pink Cream 69, and Vanishing Point.

Nocturnal Rites would actually top this list but... I'm finally fucking seeing them in September!!! :party: :dance: :rocker:

And for the record, the bands that would be in this category if not for my disclaimer:
Savatage, Avantasia, Bruce Dickinson, and Dungeon.

mankvill
05-05-2010, 09:06 PM
10.Journey

Yeeeeessssssssssssssssssssss

JRA
05-05-2010, 09:17 PM
No order:

Rush
Van Halen
Gamma Ray
Morbid Angel
Carcass
Baroness
Mastodon
Children of Bodom
Overkill
Motorhead

DethMaiden
05-05-2010, 09:29 PM
I've done a pretty good job of seeing bands I love when the opportunity pops up, but that still leaves quite a few out in the cold. Here's a rough ten:

1. My Dying Bride
2. Nevermore
3. King Diamond
4. Immortal
5. Explosions in the Sky
6. Peter Gabriel
7. David Gilmour
8. Slough Feg
9. Cobalt
10. Atheist

Thought about putting Slayer and Metallica but I've skipped them both countless times so I guess experience shows that I apparently don't want to see them all that fucking bad. MDB make the list whether they ever play the States again or not, because I'll fly to see them if they say it's gonna be their last show or whatever. King Diamond, Peter Gabriel, and David Gilmour all make it on the assumption that they actually plan to tour ever again - none have said they wouldn't, but they also haven't...y'know, toured in quite some time. Cobalt make it on the assumption that Phil isn't talking out of his ass when he says they'll do some shows in late 2010 or 2011.

mankvill
05-05-2010, 09:40 PM
Morbid Angel

This too!

5. Explosions in the Sky

:finger:

TonyD
05-05-2010, 09:43 PM
I'm assuming this means bands you haven't already seen...

Big Business
Devin Townsend Project
Gojira
Kiss
Motorhead
Queens of the Stone Age
Stones - Probably won't cause it's just too damn expensive
Sleep
Soundgarden
Torche

DethMaiden
05-05-2010, 09:43 PM

You fucker, you saw them, didn't you? I've seen basically every post-rock/post-metal band of consequence except for them now, and it sucks because they're very possibly the best one. :bouville:

idrinkwine732
05-05-2010, 09:47 PM
I can't really value them, but I think that list would definitely have to include Agalloch, Immortal, Giant Squid, Cobalt, Carcass, and Cormorant...oh wait...

mankvill
05-05-2010, 09:48 PM
You fucker, you saw them, didn't you? I've seen basically every post-rock/post-metal band of consequence except for them now, and it sucks because they're very possibly the best one. :bouville:

Yep! Went without ever hearing them beforehand too. They were really good.

Big Business
Motorhead
Torche

TonyD
05-05-2010, 09:52 PM
^ seen em?

DethMaiden
05-05-2010, 09:54 PM
3.Midnight

Awesome live. :horns:

2. Iron Maiden

Awesome live x1000. :horns:

Rush
Carcass
Baroness
Mastodon
Overkill

Awesome live, awesome live, awesome live, meh live, meh live.

Big Business
Devin Townsend Project
Motorhead

Decent live, awesome live, terrible live.

mankvill
05-05-2010, 09:55 PM
^ seen em?

Yeah! Big Business was opening for the Melvins and really, all that happened was Buzz Osbourne came out when Big Business was playing and started doing Melvins songs, so I'm not entirely sure who the lineup of Big Business/Melvins actually is. :lol:

Torche opened for Boris. Heavy and awesome.

Motorhead was loud as fuck, kinda underwhelming, but I thought they kicked copious amounts of ass. Rev. Horton Heat opened and was awesome.

JRA
05-05-2010, 09:58 PM
fuck fuck fuck how did i forget about about motorhead?!?

brad: "eduuuuhhhhh they suck therefore you forgot" shut your whore mouth!

DethMaiden
05-05-2010, 10:01 PM
fuck fuck fuck how did i forget about about motorhead?!?

brad: "eduuuuhhhhh they suck therefore you forgot" shut your whore mouth!

They're bad on record, but they're sooooooooooo bad live. ;)

MPF
05-05-2010, 10:01 PM
Top 10 That I haven't seen:

Devin Townsend
Iron Maiden
Porcupine Tree
Fates Warning
Evergrey
Clutch
Nevermore
Symphony X
Carcass
Godspeed You! Black Emperor

TonyD
05-05-2010, 10:43 PM
I've seen Motorhead
Memorable performance :lol:

xStructualDefect
05-05-2010, 11:04 PM
Kalmah, Wintersun, and Equilibrium (when they finally tour the US)
Deftones and A Day To Remember (headlining sets)
Parkway Drive (will this warped tour)
Glassjaw
All Shall Perish (will on summer slaughter this yr)

i've pretty much seen all the bands i like live in the past 5 years.

Fires Of Sedition
05-05-2010, 11:51 PM
1. Children Of Bodom (headline)
2. Arch Enemy (headline)
3. Kalmah
4. Mors Principium Est
5. Necrophagist
6. Dying Fetus
7. Insomnium
8. Into Eternity (headline)
9. Bloodbath
10. Steel Panther

Honorable mentions: Ensiferum, Divine Heresy, Decapitated, Deicide, Vital Remains, Diablo, Kataklysm, Odious Mortem, Origin, Austrian Death Machine, Unearth, Dark Tranquillity (headline), Daath, Eluveitie, Carcass, Archeon, Becoming The Archetype, Ignominious Incarceration.

Damn...I need to see a lot of bands.

powerslave_85
05-06-2010, 12:03 AM
Mastodon
Pig Destroyer
Converge
Dillinger Four
Green Day
Clutch
Lemuria
Polar Bear Club
Banner Pilot
Off With Their Heads

Cynicist
05-06-2010, 05:30 AM
Amorphis
Athiest
Elvenking
Nocturnal Rites
Sigh
Sodom
Tankard
Thyrfing
Watchtower
Wolf

The Green and Black
05-06-2010, 07:02 AM
In a rough order:

01.Evergrey
02.Fates Warning
03.Dio (Still have hope that I will get a chance)
08.Angra
Whitesnake
Savatage

I have seen all of these! :D

My list, well, there really arent too many bands I care about who are still active that I have not already seen, but there are a few. I love seeing any band I have never seen before, as along as they are good. So here's my list, not really in order except the top 3 are priority.

1) Andre Matos :drool:
2) Avantasia (I don't see why you said this can't be included, they have toured and heard they might be touring again, so it's possible.)
3) Gotthard
4) Immortal
5) Rainbow w/ Joe Lynn Turner and Jurgen Blackmore (Touring as Over The Rainbow)
6) Wolf
7) Foreigner (Kelly Hansen! Yes!)
8) Nocturnal Rites
9) Lillian Axe
10 Elvenking

And who wants to wager that Ravenheart has seen all of the bands on my list, whether he likes them or not. :lol:

xStructualDefect
05-06-2010, 07:10 AM
1. Children Of Bodom (headline)
2. Arch Enemy (headline)
3. Kalmah
4. Mors Principium Est
8. Into Eternity (headline)

Ensiferum, Austrian Death Machine, Unearth, Dark Tranquillity (headline), Eluveitie

oh shit i didn't know anyone else besides me listens to Mors Principium Est lol. i'd love to see them but can't imagine them coming to the US any time soon. Into Eternity headlining and Kalmah would be sweet too. COB, Arch Enemy, Unearth, Eluveitie, Austrian Death Machine, Dark Tranquillity, and Ensiferum sets are all a lot of fun, especially COB and Unearth.

Natrlhi
05-06-2010, 08:06 AM
4.Bolt Thrower
That will be tough, but it isn't outside the realm of possibility. BTW, they are fucking phenomenal. ::party::rocker::party:

Carcass
Baroness
Mastodon
MotorheadCarcass and Baroness are incredible live. Mastodon was good when I saw them, but this tour has been very hit-and-miss from what I've heard, due mainly to shenanigans on Brent's part (shocker). Motorhead was loud as fuck and very good when I saw them twenty-odd years ago, but I have no idea about them now. Obviously, I wouldn't take the opinions of any Motorhead haters very seriously, though... :eyes:

Big Business
Gojira
Motorhead
Queens of the Stone Age
TorcheI've caught small snippets of sets by the first two, and what I heard was excellent. Motorhead is discussed above. QotSA kinda sucked ass when I saw them open for Tool - I expected much better. Torche is awesome live. When I saw them, they still had Juan Montoya, who has left the band. Don't know if that makes a big difference or not.

Giant Squid, Cobalt, Carcass, and Cormorant...oh wait...Yes you do, yes we do, yes you do, yes we do. Squid and Carcass are both seriously awesome.

Clutch
Carcass
Godspeed You! Black EmperorClutch is surreal. So good. Carcass I've discussed already. I've heard GY!BE is off the chain, if you're into them. I want to see them live, too.

2. Arch Enemy (headline)
5. Necrophagist
6. Dying Fetus

Ensiferum, Origin, Carcass
Arch Enemy is so good live. I saw them headline last winter. Awesome. I saw both Necrophagist and Dying Fetus at Summer Slaughter last year. Necrophagist is awesome, but their stage show is not really all that high-energy. They just play like demons, and you get to watch. Still cool in my book. Dying Fetus was really good if you're a fan of theirs. I saw Ensiferum that night as well. They are a ton of fun, and very good live. Origin was also there, although I'd seen them before. They were tits. Now with a new lead vocalist, who knows? Probably still pretty good. Carcass, again, has been explained already. You need to do that shit, son!

Mastodon
Pig Destroyer
Converge
ClutchI've already discussed Mastodon and Clutch above. I've seen Pig Destroyer live twice, and while it was awesome, you really have to be a fan of theirs and familiar with their stuff to truly appreciate it. Otherwise, it sounds like just a bunch of noise. If you're a big fan and you know their stuff, then go and prepare to be destroyed! Converge was pretty decent both times I saw them, but they're the same story as Pig Destroyer. It all sounds like noise unless you know what you're hearing - perhaps even more so than with Pig Destroyer (believe it or not). But if they're your thing, have at it - I doubt you'll be disappointed. :D

Derelict
05-06-2010, 08:13 AM
Honestly, after I see Faith No More this summer, i'll have seen pretty much all the active bands I care about seeing :)

Natrlhi
05-06-2010, 08:15 AM
Yeah! Big Business was opening for the Melvins and really, all that happened was Buzz Osbourne came out when Big Business was playing and started doing Melvins songs, so I'm not entirely sure who the lineup of Big Business/Melvins actually is. :lol:The Melvins lineup has changed quite a bit over the years, but right now it is Buzz Osborne (lead vocals, guitar, founder), Coady Willis on drums and Jared Warren on bass. Coady and Jared were the sole members of Big Business, up until recently when they added Toshi Kasai on guitar. He probably wasn't there when you saw them. Neither was Dale Crover, who was the drummer for the Melvins back in the day, and who isn't officially out of the band as far as I know. He's also part of Shrinebuilder now, has been a part of Nirvana for a short time, was married to Lori S. of Acid King, and has even played with Big Business before. Dude gets around.

So basically, they're the same group except for Buzz. More or less. :lol:

Natrlhi
05-06-2010, 08:30 AM
I've seen basically every post-rock/post-metal band of consequence except for them now, and it sucks because they're very possibly the best one. :bouville:So you've seen Russian Circles, Isis, Neurosis, Mogwai, This Will Destroy You, God Is an Astronaut, Caspian, Gifts from Enola, If These Trees Could Talk, Disappearer, Minsk, Mono, Irepress, Battles, Braveyoung, North, La Fin du Monde, Rosetta, Cult of Luna, IntrOnaut and Red Sparowes? You lucky boy!

(Actually I think you may have seen Isis and Gifts, and maybe Trees, but I wasn't sure so they went into the list for effect...:D)

SomewhereInTime72
05-06-2010, 08:34 AM
1. Anthrax (not sure if this counts because they still don't have a line-up any more, but if they ever got their shit together I would REALLY want to see them)
2. Genesis (also not sure if this counts 'cause they just toured 3 years ago, but now I don't know if anything else is happening with them whatsoever since Phil Collins apparently can't drum now)
3. Kreator
4. My Dying Bride
5. KMFDM
6. Dark Tranquillity
7. Heaven and Hell (they still count as active, as far as I'm concerned) edit: WTF MASSIVE BRAIN FART, I HAVE SEEN THEM TWICE AND COUNT THOSE AS SOME OF THE BEST SHOWS IVE EVER SEEN WTF
8. Depeche Mode
9. M83
10. Clutch

runner up: Overkill

The Green and Black
05-06-2010, 08:48 AM
runner up: Overkill

This is the band I have seen the most. First time was in 1998 during the From the Underground and Below tour, and then every show in the NY, NJ, PA area since then. :D

Natrlhi
05-06-2010, 08:59 AM
Top ten is pretty difficult, even if I limit it to just metal-related bands. Here's my best shot:

Primus
Morbid Angel
Cobalt
Cult of Luna
Neurosis
Celtic Frost / Triptykon
This Will Destroy You
65daysofstatic
Amon Amarth
The Mars Volta

Honorable Mentions
Immortal
5ive
Sodom
God Is an Astronaut
North
La Fin du Monde
Mogwai
Doomriders
Unearth
Unleashed
Ludicra
GY!BE / ASMZ / Esmerine
Cormorant
Jex Thoth
Chthonic
Zozobra
Indian

Natrlhi
05-06-2010, 09:02 AM
Depeche Mode
DM is fucking awesome live these days. I've seen them about five times, and they were somewhat disappointing a few of those times as compared to others (mainly because of Dave's personal problems, which have since been resolved), but as of late (for example, last year's Lollapalooza and Touring the Angel in 2005), they've been great. It's always a really big spectacle with them, because they're huge. If you're a DM fan, you owe it to yourself to go at least once. :fist:

DethMaiden
05-06-2010, 09:16 AM
So you've seen Russian Circles, Isis, Neurosis, Mogwai, This Will Destroy You, God Is an Astronaut, Caspian, Gifts from Enola, If These Trees Could Talk, Disappearer, Minsk, Mono, Irepress, Battles, Braveyoung, North, La Fin du Monde, Rosetta, Cult of Luna, IntrOnaut and Red Sparowes? You lucky boy!

(Actually I think you may have seen Isis and Gifts, and maybe Trees, but I wasn't sure so they went into the list for effect...:D)

:lol: Fuck you, so I've only seen Isis and Russian Circles from that list, but I have seen a lot of shows of that kind, and Explosions would probably be totally transcendent. :D

Maiden33
05-06-2010, 09:46 AM
2) Avantasia (I don't see why you said this can't be included, they have toured and heard they might be touring again, so it's possible.)
5) Rainbow w/ Joe Lynn Turner and Jurgen Blackmore (Touring as Over the Rainbow)

Well as of this point, Tobi says he doesn't plan to do another Avantasia tour, and I've pretty much been told that if it that happens, it's NOT coming to America. Maybe Canada, in which case I'd make the trip, but US visa policies make it pretty much impossible for them to ever tour here unless they basically scale it back to be just the backing band and Tobias Sammet, in which case... not nearly as exciting.

And I saw Over the Rainbow last summer. :D

Maiden33
05-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Also, I'm pretty happy to say I've seen a whole bunch of bands people in this thread have mentioned - I'm thinking about creating a parallel thread: "Top Ten Bands You're Most Happy/Proud You've Seen.

Also, I find it hilarious that someone wants to see Into Eternity. I don't like them at all but have seen them live six times. I think I have seen them collectively play almost 3 hours of music. :(

IrritatedTrout
05-06-2010, 09:54 AM
1. Rush
2. Blaze Bayley
3. Slayer
4. Dio
5. Agalloch
6. Ozzy
7. Jethro Tull
8. Blind Guardian
9. Deep Purple
10. Halford

Got tickets to see Slayer and Rush this summer/fall. Bidding on a Tull ticket right now and hopefully Halford will announce a date near me sometime soon.:party:

The Green and Black
05-06-2010, 09:56 AM
Also, I'm pretty happy to say I've seen a whole bunch of bands people in this thread have mentioned - I'm thinking about creating a parallel thread: "Top Ten Bands You're Most Happy/Proud You've Seen.

Also, I find it hilarious that someone wants to see Into Eternity. I don't like them at all but have seen them live six times. I think I have seen them collectively play almost 3 hours of music. :(

Yes! Do it! I was thinking the same thing. Oh and I have seen Into Eternity and Warbringer both more times than I can count or care to.

Well as of this point, Tobi says he doesn't plan to do another Avantasia tour, and I've pretty much been told that if it that happens, it's NOT coming to America. Maybe Canada, in which case I'd make the trip, but US visa policies make it pretty much impossible for them to ever tour here unless they basically scale it back to be just the backing band and Tobias Sammet, in which case... not nearly as exciting.

And I saw Over the Rainbow last summer.:(

I would go to Canada, so I'm keeping this on my list. :D

As for you already seeing Over the Rainbow, I'm super jealous! :tongue:

undergroundrage
05-06-2010, 10:10 AM
My 'must see' list -
Rammstein
Amon Amarth
Lazarus A.D.
Cavalera Conspiracy
Lay Down Rotten
This Ending

Other's I'd like to see -
Children of Bodom
Alice in Chains
Divine Heresy
Rage Against the Machine
Black Label Society
Bleeding Through
Woe Of Tyrants

Fires Of Sedition
05-06-2010, 10:11 AM
Arch Enemy is so good live. I saw them headline last winter. Awesome. I saw both Necrophagist and Dying Fetus at Summer Slaughter last year. Necrophagist is awesome, but their stage show is not really all that high-energy. They just play like demons, and you get to watch. Still cool in my book. Dying Fetus was really good if you're a fan of theirs. I saw Ensiferum that night as well. They are a ton of fun, and very good live. Origin was also there, although I'd seen them before. They were tits. Now with a new lead vocalist, who knows? Probably still pretty good. Carcass, again, has been explained already. You need to do that shit, son!

I've seen Arch Enemy before, which is why I added the headline portion. Saw them at Gigantour in..2006 I think. They got to play like five songs and I absolutely hate the amphitheater where they played. I don't think they've been back to Oklahoma since :(. Whenever Necrophagist comes within four hours of me, I'll be there. They're incredible, and even if their stage presence sucks, I know I'll have a good time. I had the chance to see Dying Fetus a few months ago on that Hatebreed tour but they were like the second opener, which is total shit. Ensiferum is catchy as shit. I recently found out they were at The Marquee in Tulsa not too long ago :mad:. I've wanted to see Origin ever since my cousin brought over Antithesis and exclaimed "YOU HAVE TO HEAR THIS SHIT!" Carcass was also in Tulsa not too long ago, but I didn't hear about the show until afterward :(.

I saw Into Eternity the same day I saw Arch Enemy. I hadn't really liked their on album stuff but seeing them live was great, even though they got an extremely short set. I've wanted to see them headline ever since and I think they've only been in Oklahoma once since Gigantour, and I didn't feel like driving all the way to OKC to see them with a bunch of awful openers.

oh shit i didn't know anyone else besides me listens to Mors Principium Est lol. i'd love to see them but can't imagine them coming to the US any time soon. Into Eternity headlining and Kalmah would be sweet too. COB, Arch Enemy, Unearth, Eluveitie, Austrian Death Machine, Dark Tranquillity, and Ensiferum sets are all a lot of fun, especially COB and Unearth.

One of my friends downloads new music all the time and when he found Mors Principium Est he immediately had another friend and I drive over to hear it. I can't get enough of them. It really sucks that a ton of bands I want to see hardly EVER leave Europe. I've seen Children Of Bodom but it was when Alexi had recently broken his shoulder and he messed up a few times on his solos, wasn't moving around much at all, and you could obviously tell he was in pain. Their set was also way too short. Same thing with Dark Tranquillity. Saw them open for bands not as good as them and played a small set.

Derelict
05-06-2010, 10:15 AM
I've seen Children Of Bodom but it was when Alexi had recently broken his shoulder and he messed up a few times on his solos, wasn't moving around much at all, and you could obviously tell he was in pain. Their set was also way too short. Same thing with Dark Tranquillity. Saw them open for bands not as good as them and played a small set.

He usually messes up a lot, only its generally due to intoxication, not being injured.

Fires Of Sedition
05-06-2010, 10:44 AM
He usually messes up a lot, only its generally due to intoxication, not being injured.

Dammit. I thought he sounded pretty good on the Chaos Ridden Years DVD.

Crionics
05-06-2010, 12:52 PM
1. Fuckin' Slayer
2. Skeletonwitch
3. Triptykon
4. Exodus
5. Heaven & Hell
6. Immortal
7. Mayhem
8. Judas Priest
9. Morbid Angel
10. Sodom
Worthy mention..although i'll probably see them soon cause their a local for me.
11. Municipal Waste

mankvill
05-06-2010, 01:02 PM
Dammit. I thought he sounded pretty good on the Chaos Ridden Years DVD.

I saw them a couple months prior to that Lamb of God show on a headlining tour with BTBAM and Brack Dahria Murrer and they were awesome and Alexi was tits as hell.

ADD
05-06-2010, 01:44 PM
Cobalt
Slayer
Slough Feg
Bible of the Devil
Akimbo
Sleep
Blue Oyster Cult
Colour Haze
The Devil's Blood
Weedeater
Neurosis

Wizzbang11
05-06-2010, 04:07 PM
I'm confused as to how so many people missed Carcass.
I mean, didn't the 2 Exhumed to Consume tours cover most of the US?
It's not like they are that likely to keep touring...

idrinkwine732
05-06-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm confused as to how so many people missed Carcass.
I mean, didn't the 2 Exhumed to Consume tours cover most of the US?
It's not like they are that likely to keep touring...

I was still in Britain the first time (I think...) and then I was moving back day of the second one.

Wizzbang11
05-06-2010, 04:43 PM
That will be tough, but it isn't outside the realm of possibility. BTW, they are fucking phenomenal. ::party::rocker::party:

I'm not at all above blowing all my money on going to Europe someday to see them should the right lineup present itself.

elturtleboy
05-06-2010, 04:58 PM
1.Anthrax(hopfully with Joey)
2.Black Sabbath(ozzy or DIo)
3.DIO:violin:
4.Anal Cunt:egrin:
5.Brutal Truth:stoned:
6.Napalm Death
7.Metallica:money:
8.Brujeria
9.Motorhead
10.Venom

SomewhereInTime72
05-06-2010, 05:05 PM
I saw them a couple months prior to that Lamb of God show on a headlining tour with BTBAM and Brack Dahria Murrer and they were awesome and Alexi was tits as hell.

My impression is that Alexi is really hit-or-miss. First time I saw Bodom, they rocked so hard that I shat a minivan :fist. The second time.... Alexi was drunk off his ass and sucked at everything. :(

This is the band I have seen the most. First time was in 1998 during the From the Underground and Below tour, and then every show in the NY, NJ, PA area since then. :D

They've come to this area so often I actually don't know how I've managed not to see them yet. :eyes:

ravenheart
05-06-2010, 05:43 PM
Errrmm...

Rob Zombie
Circle II Circle
Ray Wilson
Symphorce
Bruce Dickinson
King Diamond
Gojira
Halford

That's all I can think of right now.

Triptykon I guess, but I'm no really considering bands that have only existed for five minutes.

DethMaiden
05-06-2010, 05:44 PM
Ray Wilson

Nice. :fist: I might the only person on Earth who thinks Calling All Stations is a solid Genesis record.

ravenheart
05-06-2010, 05:46 PM
I can't say I've heard it because it costs a fucking fortune in this country. But I have, and love, all of Ray's solo studio and live albums, plus of course Stiltskin.

DethMaiden
05-06-2010, 05:47 PM
I can't say I've heard it because it costs a fucking fortune in this country. But I have, and love, all of Ray's solo studio and live albums, plus of course Stiltskin.

Shit, man. There's like ten copies for 3 dollars each in every used record store in America, remind me and I'll bring you one next summer.

idrinkwine732
05-06-2010, 05:49 PM
I'm not at all above blowing all my money on going to Europe someday to see them should the right lineup present itself.

I hate to ruin your day, but that lineup may have happened not too long ago...

Neurotic Deathfest with Carcass, Bolt Thrower, Origin, Napalm Death and a shit load of other killer bands.

makethemsuffer12
05-06-2010, 05:59 PM
In no particular order:

Morbid Angel
Anthrax (as much as I don't even give a shit about them anymore, I do want to see them at least once.)
Dio
Nevermore
Blind Guardian
Carcass (Sucks that I wasn't into them when they came around, same goes for At The Gates)
Nile
Iced Earth
Opeth
Alice In Chains

Wizzbang11
05-06-2010, 06:11 PM
I hate to ruin your day, but that lineup may have happened not too long ago...

Neurotic Deathfest with Carcass, Bolt Thrower, Origin, Napalm Death and a shit load of other killer bands.

And Maryland Deathfest, etc.

I am well aware of all the awesome shows they play, I just can't go and see them whenever, what with school and all :)

Wizzbang11
05-06-2010, 06:13 PM
I was still in Britain the first time (I think...) and then I was moving back day of the second one.

That really sucks, kind of like what is going to happen with me to Autopsy in 22 days :(.
Although I am pretty sure they played some UK dates :bliss:

Sanitarium78
05-06-2010, 06:14 PM
There isn't too many bands left that i've wanted to see live that I haven't yet. Which I guess is a fortunate thing but there's still a few left to add to the list:

King Diamond
Mercyful Fate
Judas Priest
Iced Earth
Soundgarden

That's really about it. I'm not sure how exactly I haven't managed to see Judas Priest at least once already. They don't come around my area to often and the few times they did I wasn't able to make it. Still, I should've seen them by now.

Dextrimental
05-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Carcass
AC/DC
Soundgarden
Morbid Angel
Nofx
The Offspring
Rancid
Aerosmith
Motorhead

Plus a good lot more to be honest, scratching alot off the list this year at Graspop :D

xStructualDefect
05-06-2010, 09:02 PM
Kalmah, Wintersun, and Equilibrium (when they finally tour the US)
Deftones and A Day To Remember (headlining sets)
Parkway Drive (will this warped tour)
Glassjaw
All Shall Perish (will on summer slaughter this yr)

i've pretty much seen all the bands i like live in the past 5 years.

add Opeth to that list.

Natrlhi
05-06-2010, 10:10 PM
Carcass
AC/DC
Soundgarden
Morbid Angel
Nofx
The Offspring
Rancid
Aerosmith
MotorheadI have to say, it disturbs me a bit to see the last band I highlighted on any list which includes the other two I highlighted, regardless of what the purpose of said list may be.

It makes me want to throw up a little. :snivel:

xStructualDefect
05-06-2010, 10:11 PM
I have to say, it disturbs me a bit to see the last band I highlighted on any list which includes the other two I highlighted, regardless of what the purpose of said list may be.

??
The Offspring are a great band, great live also.

Natrlhi
05-06-2010, 10:31 PM
??
The Offspring are a great band, great live also.

:barf: Now look what you did.

xStructualDefect
05-06-2010, 10:39 PM
:barf: Now look what you did.

well everyone has their own perspectives and tastes.

undergroundrage
05-06-2010, 11:09 PM
I have to say, it disturbs me a bit to see the last band I highlighted on any list which includes the other two I highlighted, regardless of what the purpose of said list may be.

I guess it's not allowed around here for someone to like different kinds of music... :tp:

idrinkwine732
05-06-2010, 11:40 PM
well everyone has their own perspectives and tastes.

And yours is dead wrong. :D

I guess it's not allowed around here for someone to like different kinds of music... :tp:

See? This guy's got it.

Fires Of Sedition
05-06-2010, 11:59 PM

YAY! :party:

Also, add Behemoth to my honorable mentions.

xStructualDefect
05-07-2010, 12:06 AM

oh yeah i forgot all about that. my mistake, i guess i lose metalhead points now.

Maiden33
05-07-2010, 01:35 AM
They've come to this area so often I actually don't know how I've managed not to see them yet. :eyes:

Yes, and you were at my band's one and only show in NYC thus far. :D

SomewhereInTime72
05-07-2010, 06:11 AM

right i forgot that because it's an opinion that means people aren't allowed to disagree or think badly of it
Yes, and you were at my band's one and only show in NYC thus far. :D

Well, you know, I guess the rarer the show is, the more I'm likely to go. ;) :D

The Green and Black
05-07-2010, 07:10 AM
There isn't too many bands left that i've wanted to see live that I haven't yet. Which I guess is a fortunate thing but there's still a few left to add to the list:

King Diamond
Mercyful Fate
Judas Priest
Iced Earth
Soundgarden

That's really about it. I'm not sure how exactly I haven't managed to see Judas Priest at least once already. They don't come around my area to often and the few times they did I wasn't able to make it. Still, I should've seen them by now.

JuuKun
05-07-2010, 07:37 AM
1. Tarot
2. Billy Idol
3. Impaled Nazarene
4. Bolt Thrower (Had a ticket argh)
5. Therion
6. Amorphis
7. Orphaned Land
8. Haggard
9. Nevermore
10. Angra

Morgana Lefay would be in the very top spot if they weren't on a break right now.

Billy & OL will come off this list in September :party:. Wish I could say the same about Tarot, though.

IrritatedTrout
05-07-2010, 09:52 AM
oh yeah i forgot all about that. my mistake, i guess i lose metalhead points now.

yes u do

daimonos
05-07-2010, 10:12 AM
These are some of the first ones I could think of, in no order:

Enslaved (Headlining show)
Children of Bodom
Dark Tranquillity
High on Fire
Immortal
Machine Head (Headlining Show)
Morbid Angel
Opeth (I've seen them before, but I really want to see them again...)
Sleep
Vital Remains

Sanitarium78
05-07-2010, 11:38 AM

What years did you see King Diamond and Mercyful Fate? I know King hasn't played my area in ages. In think the last time may have been in the early 90s before I got into his stuff. That's the main reason I haven't seen him at all. I may have to see if I can look up somehwere exactly when it was he last played my town.

Iced Earth is the same. I can't honestly recall them ever playing a show around here, not even as an opener for someone:eek: Soundgarden broke up before I got to see them, maybe on their reunion tour they'll come around.

The Green and Black
05-07-2010, 12:08 PM
What years did you see King Diamond and Mercyful Fate? I know King hasn't played my area in ages. In think the last time may have been in the early 90s before I got into his stuff. That's the main reason I haven't seen him at all. I may have to see if I can look up somehwere exactly when it was he last played my town.

Iced Earth is the same. I can't honestly recall them ever playing a show around here, not even as an opener for someone:eek: Soundgarden broke up before I got to see them, maybe on their reunion tour they'll come around.

I love this thread! It's forcing me to look up and recall events I may have previously forgotten about! My memory stinks! :lol:
I saw them each atleast once, possibly more though, here are the two I remember vividly.

Mercyful Fate 10/09/99 at the Trocadero in Phila PA
King Diamond 11/13/03 at the Trocadero in Phila PA

Oh and not sure if you know this, I have talked about it here before though, but Soundgarden was my first concert in 1994!
I have seen Iced Earth with both Ripper and Barlow. I know Ripper was at The Troc. I am thinking the Barlow show was as well.

Edit: Check out this website for all things King Diamond and Mercyful Fate. It lists every show ever played!
http://www.mfkdfaq.com/

I found it quite helpful, may save you some time searching for dates past in your town!

Derelict
05-07-2010, 12:16 PM

pretty sure i was at one of those - did Shadows Fall and Babylon Whores open one of them by chance?

The Green and Black
05-07-2010, 12:33 PM
pretty sure i was at one of those - did Shadows Fall and Babylon Whores open one of them by chance?

I am thinking that was the King Diamond show in 2000 also at the Troc.
And trying to remember if I was there or not. :lol:

Also, I'm still trying to figure out -

1)who Nevermore was playing with when SYL played with Testament?
2) If Overkill AND Nevermore both opened for Mercyful Fate at Troc 1999?

Derelict
05-07-2010, 12:39 PM
I am thinking that was the King Diamond show in 2000 also at the Troc.
And trying to remember if I was there or not. :lol:

Also, I'm still trying to figure out -

1)who Nevermore was playing with when SYL played with Testament?
2) If Overkill AND Nevermore both opened for Mercyful Fate at Troc 1999?

Its hard to remember this stuff with my old, deteriorating brain.

1 - no idea, didnt see Nevermore until 2001
2 - that sounds familiar

Did you go to the march metal meltdown in 1999 in jersey?

Sanitarium78
05-07-2010, 12:43 PM
I love this thread! It's forcing me to look up and recall events I may have previously forgotten about! My memory stinks! :lol:
I saw them each atleast once, possibly more though, here are the two I remember vividly.

Oh and not sure if you know this, I have talked about it here before though, but Soundgarden was my first concert in 1994!
I have seen Iced Earth with both Ripper and Barlow. I know Ripper was at The Troc. I am thinking the Barlow show was as well.

Edit: Check out this website for all things King Diamond and Mercyful Fate. It lists every show ever played!
http://www.mfkdfaq.com/

I found it quite helpful, may save you some time searching for dates past in your town!

Yeah, I can never remember exact dates either anymore. I can usually remember the year though. But when you've been going to metal shows for 18 years now like I have, exact dates are not as important as who you've actually seen live:D Thanks for the link the the MF/KD faq it actually did help a bit. The last time King played here solo was 1988 when he toured for 'Them':eek: The last time he was here with Fate was in 1996 and just my luck this around the time I was getting into him so I just missed this:mad:

Other than that he hasn't come around here to often at all through the years. He does however seems to make a stop in Rochester, NY on almost every tour. That's only an hour drive from here so if he ever tours again i'll have to check and see if he's playing there or not.

Now i've just gotta find if there's an Iced Earth tour archieve to see if they've ever played here at all:lol:

evildeadjedi
05-07-2010, 12:57 PM
Electric Wizard
Iron Maiden
Megadeath
Metallica
Dream Theater
Iced Earth
Kreator
Motorhead
Lord Weird Slough Feg

mastodon421
05-07-2010, 01:01 PM
In no particular order:

Iron Maiden
Megadeth
Morbid Angel
Gojira
Korn
Rob Zombie
Baroness
High On Fire
The Dillinger Escape Plan
Rammstien

Honorable Mentions:
Darkest Hour
Converge
Metallica
Muse
Protest The Hero
Goatwhore
Arsis
Testament
Arch Enemy
Lazarus A.D
Shadows Fall
Vader
Enisferum

ravenheart
05-07-2010, 01:13 PM
Korn

Prepare to be disappointed.

mankvill
05-07-2010, 01:38 PM
Nokturnal Mortum! :D

makethemsuffer12
05-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Prepare to be disappointed.

Korn are awesome live. I'm not even a real fan anymore but I'm still somewhat looking forward to seeing them on Mayhem this year.

ravenheart
05-07-2010, 04:32 PM
Korn are awesome live. I'm not even a real fan anymore but I'm still somewhat looking forward to seeing them on Mayhem this year.

I saw them, erm, year before last? Fucking dreadful. Worst headlining band I've ever seen. I arrived late and they were so bad I left early.

mankvill
05-08-2010, 11:35 PM
Just thought of another one.

The Hives. So bad. BLARG.

The Green and Black
05-09-2010, 12:18 AM
Now i've just gotta find if there's an Iced Earth tour archieve to see if they've ever played here at all:lol:

Yeah, I wish I could find this! I still can't remember when the hell I have seen them with Barlow, and I know I have.

I can't remember a lot of shows I went to. Like you said, I remember WHO I have seen, of course, but the WHEN and WERE gets a little sketchy. haha It might help me if I dig out some of my photo albums.

The Green and Black
05-09-2010, 12:24 AM
I saw them, erm, year before last? Fucking dreadful. Worst headlining band I've ever seen. I arrived late and they were so bad I left early.

I saw them in 1995 opening for Ozzy, on his Retirement Sucks Tour and they were horrible. I think I might have fallen asleep during their set, they were so bad. But I was of course, NEVER a fan of Korn. Little did I know then that in 15 years they would still be around and there would still be people who actually want to see them. :lol:

Sanitarium78
05-09-2010, 01:19 PM
Yeah, I wish I could find this! I still can't remember when the hell I have seen them with Barlow, and I know I have.

I did a quick search and didn't find anything with past Iced Earth tour dates. What I find helpful sometimes in these situations is to try and remember what songs the band did. That way you might at least be able to come up with the year you saw them.

The Green and Black
05-09-2010, 07:58 PM
I did a quick search and didn't find anything with past Iced Earth tour dates. What I find helpful sometimes in these situations is to try and remember what songs the band did. That way you might at least be able to come up with the year you saw them.

Hey! This has helped me narrow it down a bit! :lol:
It was 2002 during Horror Show Tour. I even have a Horror Show Shirt, which makes sense. :lol: In Flames was the support. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Exact date is Apr. 13, 2002 The Trocadero - Philadelphia, PA with Iced Earth, In Flames and Jag Panzer! yes!

Other dates from that tour are as follows -
The final dates from the Iced Earth, Jag Panzer and In Flames US Tour are out...

Apr. 08 - Emerson Theater - Indianapolis, IN
Apr. 09 - Jaxx - Springfield, VA
Apr. 10 - The World @ The WWF Café - New York, NY
Apr. 12 - Birch Hill - Old Bridge, NJ
Apr. 13 - The Trocadero - Philadelphia, PA
Apr. 14 - The Medley - Montreal, QU
Apr. 15 - Opera House - Toronto, ON
Apr. 16 - Newport Music Hall - Columbus, OH
Apr. 17 - Metro - Chicago, IL
Apr. 18 - Club Laga - Pittsburgh, PA
Apr. 19 - Agora Theater - Cleveland, OH
Apr. 20 - Harpo's - Detroit, MI
Apr. 21 - The Rave - Milwaukee, WI
Apr. 22 - The Lab - St. Paul, MN
Apr. 24 - Ogden Theater - Denver, CO
Apr. 26 - Croatian Cultural Center - Vancouver, BC
Apr. 27 - Graceland - Seattle, WA
Apr. 28 - Roseland - Portland, OR
Apr. 29 - Great American Music Hall - San Francisco, CA
Apr. 30 - The Palace - Los Angeles, CA
May 02 - Backroom - Austin, TX

Derelict
05-09-2010, 08:05 PM
Hey! This has helped me narrow it down a bit! :lol:
It was 2002 during Horror Show Tour. I even have a Horror Show Shirt, which makes sense. :lol: In Flames was the support. Yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: Exact date is Apr. 13, 2002 The Trocadero - Philadelphia, PA with Iced Earth, In Flames and Jag Panzer! yes!

Other dates from that tour are as follows -
The final dates from the Iced Earth, Jag Panzer and In Flames US Tour are out...

Apr. 08 - Emerson Theater - Indianapolis, IN
Apr. 09 - Jaxx - Springfield, VA
Apr. 10 - The World @ The WWF Café - New York, NY
Apr. 12 - Birch Hill - Old Bridge, NJ
Apr. 13 - The Trocadero - Philadelphia, PA
Apr. 14 - The Medley - Montreal, QU
Apr. 15 - Opera House - Toronto, ON
Apr. 16 - Newport Music Hall - Columbus, OH
Apr. 17 - Metro - Chicago, IL
Apr. 18 - Club Laga - Pittsburgh, PA
Apr. 19 - Agora Theater - Cleveland, OH
Apr. 20 - Harpo's - Detroit, MI
Apr. 21 - The Rave - Milwaukee, WI
Apr. 22 - The Lab - St. Paul, MN
Apr. 24 - Ogden Theater - Denver, CO
Apr. 26 - Croatian Cultural Center - Vancouver, BC
Apr. 27 - Graceland - Seattle, WA
Apr. 28 - Roseland - Portland, OR
Apr. 29 - Great American Music Hall - San Francisco, CA
Apr. 30 - The Palace - Los Angeles, CA
May 02 - Backroom - Austin, TX

I was at the Birch Hill (RIP) and the troc shows - got to see Iced Earth do the entire Dark Saga and Something Wicked trilogies between the two shows. Thems was the days...

Also read an interview with Anders from In Flames after this tour where he basically said Schaeffer treated them like ass since they weren't american - truly shocking.

EDIT: here's the interview: http://www.metalunderground.com/news/details.cfm?newsid=8013

Uncle_Meat1940
05-09-2010, 08:35 PM
I'm seeing a lot of bands I've been wanting to see for a long time this summer, so I had to think about this one a little bit.

1. Humanoid
2. Gorgoroth
3. Carcass
4. The Grande Mothers
5. Return to Forever
6. Porcupine Tree
7. At the Gates
8. King Crimson
9. Beardfish
10. Toxic Holocaust

The Green and Black
05-10-2010, 07:10 AM
I was at the Birch Hill (RIP)

I miss that place. :(

The last show I saw there (may have been the last show there ever?) was Overkill. We knew it was closing, so I made Blitz pose with the Birch Hill sign and I took a picture. He told me he never felt so gay! :lol: But he still did it for me! haha

Derelict
05-10-2010, 07:31 AM
I miss that place. :(

The last show I saw there (may have been the last show there ever?) was Overkill. We knew it was closing, so I made Blitz pose with the Birch Hill sign and I took a picture. He told me he never felt so gay! :lol: But he still did it for me! haha

Thats amazing - I met Testament and the Haunted at the pool there in 99 at a pre-show bbq

The Green and Black
05-10-2010, 08:42 AM
Thats amazing - I met Testament and the Haunted at the pool there in 99 at a pre-show bbq

Yes! I was there! Only I was not at the pre-show bbq. Another fun Birch Hill memory was seeing Flotsam and Jetsam there in 1999, hanging out with them most of the night, even convincing them to add Monster to their set, then after the show, Jason Ward wrote me a trippy story on the back of a magazine. It's the strangest peice of rock memorabilia in my collection. :lol:

Derelict
05-10-2010, 08:51 AM
Yes! I was there! Only I was not at the pre-show bbq. Another fun Birch Hill memory was seeing Flotsam and Jetsam there in 1999, hanging out with them most of the night, even convincing them to add Monster to their set, then after the show, Jason Ward wrote me a trippy story on the back of a magazine. It's the strangest peice of rock memorabilia in my collection. :lol:

Thats pretty cool. I miss that place - we did a lot of back to back Birch Hill/Troc shows