PDA

View Full Version : A7X drummer for Uproar tour

WOLVERINEKILLS
05-04-2010, 06:37 AM
It's gonna be Mike Portnoy. Uproar starts after the Maiden tour ends. Sounds like he and the A7X guys are good friends now, wouldn't be suprised if he doesn't join the band permanently from what I am hearing.

bt11763
05-04-2010, 07:15 AM
sweet, that's what i was hoping to hear. gonna be interesting.

Chyck
05-04-2010, 07:28 AM
It's gonna be Mike Portnoy. Uproar starts after the Maiden tour ends. Sounds like he and the A7X guys are good friends now, wouldn't be suprised if he doesn't join the band permanently from what I am hearing.

~blinks~ That's really, really surreal. I wonder what his setup will look like?

MPF
05-04-2010, 10:22 AM
It is official now or is it unofficial right now?

Not doubting you one bit, it's just that I'm on MP's forum a lot and I haven't seen the announcement yet.

mastodon421
05-04-2010, 12:10 PM
I wonder who is going to drum on the one off Mayhem date they are doing?

Uncle_Meat1940
05-04-2010, 01:23 PM
This little stint has made me loose so much respect for Portnoy. *shakes head*

Chyck
05-04-2010, 01:32 PM
This little stint has made me lose so much respect for Portnoy. *shakes head*

Not me. I mean, yeah, A7X isn't my cup of tea, but I think that it's really cool of him to help them out. He gets to play something different just for kicks, and does a bit to bridge the gap between metalheads and... whatever A7X fans consider themselves / are. It's nice to see that he's willing to put himself out there like this even if he gets flak for it.

Uncle_Meat1940
05-04-2010, 01:36 PM
Portnoy has all kinds of side projects for shits and giggles. I don't know about the rest of the metalheads, but I really don't want that bridge to get made. haha

Chyck
05-04-2010, 01:43 PM
Portnoy has all kinds of side projects for shits and giggles. I don't know about the rest of the metalheads, but I really don't want that bridge to get made. haha

Fair enough, and I kind of figured you might think that as I was typing it out. I've always been a "reach out" kind of person. Like, if people are willing to give different music a chance, I'm not going to be an asshole. If a handful of kids find Dream Theatre through Portnoy because of this and get exposed to good music, then I'm happy.

Uncle_Meat1940
05-04-2010, 01:57 PM
I don't think the children that listen to A7X will do much with Portnoy's name aside from some them knowing them as the guy who filled in for a while. That's just my opinion though, I know there may be some outliars and if they decide to stop listening to shitty music because Mike Portnoy played with a shitty band, more power to them.

Chyck
05-04-2010, 02:01 PM
I don't think the children that listen to A7X will do much with Portnoy's name aside from some them knowing them as the guy who filled in for a while.

You're probably right, but...

POWER TO THE OUTLIERS!

And, because I never get to use this smiley...

:chair:

mastodon421
05-04-2010, 02:03 PM
I like A7X and Dream Theater. So I am aware of who Mike Portnoy is and not seeing him "the guy who did the fill-on on the new album"

edit:This was kind of a douchey comment to make sorry I am not trying to start any shit.

Uncle_Meat1940
05-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Well obviously if you know him from other bands already you wouldn't know him for only one thing he did with one band...

mastodon421
05-04-2010, 02:24 PM
Well obviously if you know him from other bands already you wouldn't know him for only one thing he did with one band...

True sorry i'm stupid and read what you said kind of fast.

Uncle_Meat1940
05-04-2010, 02:25 PM
haha, whatever dude, we all do it. This site wouldn't be the same if you didn't have people hastily read your post and then try to comment on it. haha

Maiden33
05-04-2010, 02:34 PM
Portnoy should join AX7 and quit Dream Theater. :D

Never going to happen (actually it's pretty much impossible), but I'm gonna be honest, I'd be optimistic about it.

Uncle_Meat1940
05-04-2010, 02:35 PM
Really???... O.o *backs away slowly*

MPF
05-04-2010, 03:40 PM
This little stint has made me loose so much respect for Portnoy. *shakes head*

Really?

A7X was one of the first Non-Metallica Metal bands I ever got into. I was actually into A7x before I even knew about Dream Theater (Who are my favorite band). I admit I'm not a huge fan of A7X now, but I am happy for the guys. They are continuing on after losing the best part of their band, and found the best possible drummer to replicate what The Rev does.

Don't get me wrong I never want Mike to quite Dream Theater for A7X but hey, it's great exposure for both parties and I really cant complain about Dream Theater getting more exposure.

MPF
05-04-2010, 04:26 PM
It's official!

For Immediate Release - May 2010

MIKE PORTNOY TO TOUR WITH AVENGED SEVENFOLD THROUGHOUT 2010

After having had such an amazing experience recording my drum tracks for the new Avenged Sevenfold album, we all knew it would be awesome if I'd be able to do some touring with the band after its release...

I am happy to say that the timing worked out perfectly that my touring cycle with Dream Theater (and Transatlantic) was coming to an end just as A7X's was scheduled begin!
(well, perfect for everyone except my poor family!) : )

Although I wish I could stay on board with A7X in a more permanent capacity, the reality is that I am commited to Dream Theater as my main priority (that is my baby afterall!), and I will need to resume work with DT to start a new album at some point in 2011....

However, I will be able to join my brothers in Avenged Sevenfold for at least the duration of their touring throughout 2010...and hopefully this will give them the time to continue to heal and get comfortable back on the road....

You can look at me like the band's "rebound drummer" to buy them some time until they are comfortable and ready to make a commitment to somebody new for full-time relationship in their future!

In the meantime, I am real excited to hit the road with the boys...to bring my drumming from their new album to life on stage and to honor The Rev with all of their older material....

(Hey, do I get to have a cool, bad-ass stage name now???) : )

C-ya out there,
MP

maidenpriest
05-05-2010, 12:54 AM
It's official!

For Immediate Release - May 2010

MIKE PORTNOY TO TOUR WITH AVENGED SEVENFOLD THROUGHOUT 2010

After having had such an amazing experience recording my drum tracks for the new Avenged Sevenfold album, we all knew it would be awesome if I'd be able to do some touring with the band after its release...

I am happy to say that the timing worked out perfectly that my touring cycle with Dream Theater (and Transatlantic) was coming to an end just as A7X's was scheduled begin!
(well, perfect for everyone except my poor family!) : )

Although I wish I could stay on board with A7X in a more permanent capacity, the reality is that I am commited to Dream Theater as my main priority (that is my baby afterall!), and I will need to resume work with DT to start a new album at some point in 2011....

However, I will be able to join my brothers in Avenged Sevenfold for at least the duration of their touring throughout 2010...and hopefully this will give them the time to continue to heal and get comfortable back on the road....

You can look at me like the band's "rebound drummer" to buy them some time until they are comfortable and ready to make a commitment to somebody new for full-time relationship in their future!

In the meantime, I am real excited to hit the road with the boys...to bring my drumming from their new album to life on stage and to honor The Rev with all of their older material....

(Hey, do I get to have a cool, bad-ass stage name now???) : )

C-ya out there,
MP

hell yeah! get to see Mike Portnoy twice in one year!! :D