PDA

View Full Version : As I Lay Dying - The Powerless Rise

undergroundrage
05-01-2010, 09:37 PM
So I scored a copy today finally. After a few listens, I will say this - it's fucking awesome! If you're a fan of the last album, this picks up right where that left off. One could even call it An Ocean Between Us II. :rocker:

Makes me want to go see them live again, even if I have to sit through a dozen shitty bands to get to them.

(EDIT) After a few more listens, some stand out songs - Beyond Our Suffering, Without Conclusion, The Plague, Upside Down Kingdom

idrinkwine732
05-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Fucking sucked if you ask me

undergroundrage
05-01-2010, 09:49 PM
Fucking sucked if you ask me

Did you like the last album?

idrinkwine732
05-01-2010, 09:55 PM
Did you like the last album?

I did, quite a bit, I thought they found something they could work with, but this album was a mess.

undergroundrage
05-01-2010, 10:02 PM
I did, quite a bit, I thought they found something they could work with, but this album was a mess.

It basically sounds exactly the same, so I'm not getting why you don't like it then. Have you heard the whole thing or you basing that on one or two songs?

idrinkwine732
05-01-2010, 10:50 PM
I couldn't make it past like the 5th or 6th track...

undergroundrage
05-02-2010, 05:08 AM
I couldn't make it past like the 5th or 6th track...

Give it another chance, all the way through. I don't see how you could like the last album so much and turn this one off. They really do sound like they could be 1a and 1b, very very similar albums.

mastodon421
05-02-2010, 07:44 AM
It leaked? Hell yes! Going to download it right now.

DethMaiden
05-02-2010, 08:24 AM
Give it another chance, all the way through. I don't see how you could like the last album so much and turn this one off. They really do sound like they could be 1a and 1b, very very similar albums.

Sometimes your tastes shift between albums and the old one doesn't suck because there's some nostalgia there but with the new one you realize that the style you thought was good actually blows. I suspect that's what happened to Wine here.

mastodon421
05-02-2010, 08:57 AM
Just finished listening. Holy shit! Absoultey fantastic record. The riffs are great/catchy the solos are blistering and the vocals are better than ever. This is a very,very impressive record and the best As I Lay Dying record yet.

idrinkwine732
05-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Sometimes your tastes shift between albums and the old one doesn't suck because there's some nostalgia there but with the new one you realize that the style you thought was good actually blows. I suspect that's what happened to Wine here.

Wouldn't surprise me. I haven't listened to the last one in about a year or so, and when I listened to this one I hated it.

SerpentineVIVIVI
05-02-2010, 11:17 AM
I actually wanna give this a spin sometime. I only liked three or four tracks on the past album, but those tracks were fucking amazing. I thought the album as a whole was fundamentally weak, but those standout tracks made me not even care. I wonder how this one would be for me...

Derelict
05-02-2010, 12:55 PM
Jesus approves of this album

Travis The Dragon
05-05-2010, 05:06 PM
Amazing album! Right up their with AOBU.

MPF
05-05-2010, 06:49 PM
Musically and Scream-wise it's fantastic. The clean vocals are a bit whiney for my taste. Much whinier then AOBU.

idrinkwine732
05-05-2010, 07:12 PM
Listened to it again

It sucked :deadhorse:

Dextrimental
05-06-2010, 05:29 PM
Just checked it out, I like it :D not as good as AOBU, but its up there, I give it an 8/10

Fires Of Sedition
05-06-2010, 11:16 PM
Musically and Scream-wise it's fantastic. The clean vocals are a bit whiney for my taste. Much whinier then AOBU.

:agree:

bassmasta257
05-08-2010, 07:23 PM

i agree, all of it is fucking awesome, but the clean vocals honestly suck a lot, it sounds like shitty alternative emo girl kinda singing if you get my drift :D i liked the singing on AOBU but not this album, its still good tho, and ill have a fun time seeing them tuesday, even though all the other bands SUCK BALLSACK

Jman
05-15-2010, 03:59 PM
I thought this was a great record. On everyalbum they do, they get heavier and better musically. I really don't like the clean vocals, but I'll get over it. Meeting the band a few days ago made me like them even more.

RustinPeace1113
06-22-2010, 12:11 PM
If it weren't for the clean vocals this would be my favorite album of theirs.

hubub454
08-24-2010, 10:05 PM
I bought this the day it came out, and listened to it a lot. I hate it. I love every other As I Lay Dying album, pretty much every song they released is great, and this album, technically, is incredible. Did their guitarist learn to solo? since when is the drummer THAT good? but for some reason, this album sucks. Ocean Between Us is the best album of 08 or whenever it came out imo, and then this came out, and it has the same sound, production is just as great, if not better, it just didnt get me like their previous releases. i listened to it the other day, and halfway through decided id listen to AOBU instead. sorry AILD :'[