PDA

View Full Version : TOOL: First tour dates announced!!

DementedX14
04-27-2010, 09:30 AM
TOOL is planning on hitting the road this summer. The following dates have been announced so far:

June 19 - New Orleans, LA - UNO Lakefront Arena
June 20 - Houston, TX - Toyota Center
June 22 - Cedar Park, TX - Cedar Park Center
June 23 - Oklahoma City, OK - Ford Center
July 01 - Saint Paul, MN - Xcel Energy Center
July 04 - Winnipeg, MB - MTS Centre
July 05 - Regina, SK - Brandt Centre/Evraz Place
July 07 - Edmonton, AB - Rexall Place
July 09 - Vancouver, BC - General Motors Place
July 12 - San Francisco, CA - Bill Graham Civic Auditorium

:wow:

Can't wait for the rest to be announced.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=139213

Uncle_Meat1940
04-27-2010, 09:39 AM
I they come to Mn and it sells out again before I get a ticket... I'm gonna kill somebody :flame:

mankvill
04-27-2010, 11:10 AM
:barf:

HugeRockStar
04-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Let's hope they at least change up the setlist this time.

Natrlhi
04-27-2010, 11:18 AM
Okay, this happens every year, and I watch it and say nothing. Not this year.

THIS IS NOT A FUCKING PROPER TOUR. There is no album to tour around. It is merely a couple of random dates like they tend to do every summer, most of which are festivals and the like. They are still in the writing process for a new record, so they can't afford to be out on a full tour and still have any continuity for that process. The album will probably drop sometime in 2011, so hopefully every little announcement that has the word "TOOL" in it won't become fodder for a bunch of frothing at the mouth and conjecture - although that's precisely what will probably happen.

The new album is coming. It will probably be another year or so - maybe less. When the album drops, they will do a proper tour for it. Then after that, they will probably tour again (because they always do). Then, they will go back to the mode of doing a few mini-tours and random dates here and there, and eventually, hopefully, write another record. The typical cycle for them is about five years long.

1993 Undertow
1996 Aenima (4 years)
2001 Lateralus (5 years)
2006 10,000 Days (5 years)
2011 New Album (5 years)

Got it? OK, now cool it, you crazy kids. :rolleyes:

Dissimulate
04-27-2010, 11:43 AM
No way am I going to pay the ridiculous cost and put up with fucking Tool fans for this.

Natrlhi
04-27-2010, 11:49 AM

I was wondering how long it would take you to get here and do that.

I'm sad for you on this count - I truly am. Not getting it is one thing, but having pure hatred for something you don't even really know anything about is just...I don't know...it worries me. The worst part is, you probably have no idea what you're missing. I suspect that every time you've ever tried to listen to this band (which I assume is very rarely, if ever), you've been mind-blocked by your own overblown preconceived notions about what this band is all about, to be able to hear what they're really capable of.

I've heard people say, "they're not my cup of tea", and I get that. Complicated, proggy alt-metal isn't for everybody. Fair enough.

I've heard people say, "their fans are dicks", and I get that, too. Of course, every band has fans that are dicks, so I don't know why that should even matter anyway...plus, it has zero effect whatsoever on the content a band puts out. How is the content on an album affected by a handful of the folks who choose to listen to it? If you think all their fans are dicks, stay away from their show, then - but don't rail on the band because of it. How is the band responsible for the actions of their fans? I mean, if it was Randy Blythe of LoG trying to get everybody incited to create a violent circle pit that ends up getting people hurt, then maybe I could see your point - but how does that analogy relate to this band? It doesn't. Tool encourages their fans to think for themselves, make their own interpretations of their art, use their fucking brains and above all, NOT BE DOUCHEBAGS. If some of them choose to not listen, or never get the message in the first place, that's not Tool's problem. That's humanity being humanity.

I've heard people say they don't like Maynard. I get that, too. Maynard is, like many other supremely talented individuals, a bit eccentric in his own right. I happen to think he's a genius, but that's not the reason why I like the music the he and three other guys that call themselves Tool create. I like the music because the music is incredibly deep, heavy, intricate, odd, powerful, beautiful, creepy, haunting, memorable, unique, and technically superior to almost anything out there today or ever.

You don't have to like their music, but if you choose to consistently rail on the band and their music every time their name is mentioned, I'd really like to hear some intelligent reasons why. Don't say, "It's just not my thing", because that's how I feel about BTBAM and Opeth and a million other bands that get discussed around here, but you don't see me running to every thread that has their name in the title and posting the barf smiley. Brad doesn't like Dying Fetus, and he makes some good arguments for it. Many of us don't like Lamb of God, and we've all made our solid arguments (and a few funny ones). But I've yet to see a single person give me a real, bona fide, defensible reason as to why they think this band sucks.

I'm not saying they're perfect, and I'm not saying you have to like them, or you're not cool enough for me. I'm just asking, "WHAT UP WITH THE HATE, MY BROTHA?"

You know I :lovedup: you man, but seriously - this is the one thing between you and me that really makes me sad. I mean it. :(

DementedX14
04-27-2010, 11:55 AM

(_)

TonyD
04-27-2010, 11:57 AM
I was wondering how long it would take you to get here and do that.

I'm sad for you on this count - I truly am. Not getting it is one thing, but having pure hatred for something you don't even really know anything about is just...I don't know...it worries me. The worst part is, you probably have no idea what you're missing. I suspect that every time you've ever tried to listen to this band (which I assume is very rarely, if ever), you've been mind-blocked by your own overblown preconceived notions about what this band is all about, to be able to hear what they're really capable of.

I've heard people say, "they're not my cup of tea", and I get that. Complicated, proggy alt-metal isn't for everybody. Fair enough.

I've heard people say, "their fans are dicks", and I get that, too. Of course, every band has fans that are dicks, so I don't know why that should even matter anyway...plus, it has zero effect whatsoever on the content a band puts out. How is the content on an album affected by a handful of the folks who choose to listen to it? If you think all their fans are dicks, stay away from their show, then - but don't rail on the band because of it. How is the band responsible for the actions of their fans? I mean, if it was Randy Blythe of LoG trying to get everybody incited to create a violent circle pit that ends up getting people hurt, then maybe I could see your point - but how does that analogy relate to this band? It doesn't. Tool encourages their fans to think for themselves, make their own interpretations of their art, use their fucking brains and above all, NOT BE DOUCHEBAGS. If some of them choose to not listen, or never get the message in the first place, that's not Tool's problem. That's humanity being humanity.

I've heard people say they don't like Maynard. I get that, too. Maynard is, like many other supremely talented individuals, a bit eccentric in his own right. I happen to think he's a genius, but that's not the reason why I like the music the he and three other guys that call themselves Tool create. I like the music because the music is incredibly deep, heavy, intricate, odd, powerful, beautiful, creepy, haunting, memorable, unique, and technically superior to almost anything out there today or ever.

You don't have to like their music, but if you choose to consistently rail on the band and their music every time their name is mentioned, I'd really like to hear some intelligent reasons why. Don't say, "It's just not my thing", because that's how I feel about BTBAM and Opeth and a million other bands that get discussed around here, but you don't see me running to every thread that has their name in the title and posting the barf smiley. Brad doesn't like Dying Fetus, and he makes some good arguments for it. Many of us don't like Lamb of God, and we've all made our solid arguments (and a few funny ones). But I've yet to see a single person give me a real, bona fide, defensible reason as to why they think this band sucks.

I'm not saying they're perfect, and I'm not saying you have to like them, or you're not cool enough for me. I'm just asking, "WHAT UP WITH THE HATE, MY BROTHA?"

You know I :lovedup: you man, but seriously - this is the one thing between you and me that really makes me sad. I mean it. :(

YEAH!
I'm still amazed how big they are, because of what they are. That might have something to do with it.

Natrlhi
04-27-2010, 12:07 PM
YEAH!
I'm still amazed how big they are, because of what they are. That might have something to do with it.

You mean it might be a jealousy thing?

ADD
04-27-2010, 12:12 PM
I like the music because the music is incredibly deep, heavy, intricate, odd, powerful, beautiful, creepy, haunting, memorable, unique, and technically superior to almost anything out there today or ever.

Don't say, "It's just not my thing", because that's how I feel about BTBAM and Opeth and a million other bands that get discussed around here, but you don't see me running to every thread that has their name in the title and posting the barf smiley.

Motions seconded.

I could potentially see Maiden, Rush, and Tool this summer. What a trip.

TonyD
04-27-2010, 12:16 PM
You mean it might be a jealousy thing?

Not as much as something like
"Everybody listens to ___"
"___ sucks"
You can fill in the blanks with a number of bands.

ADD
04-27-2010, 12:21 PM
Tony where's that quote under your name from?

TonyD
04-27-2010, 12:27 PM
Black Dynamite (http://www.blackdynamitemovie.com/)
I'll let the trailer do the talking.

mastodon421
04-27-2010, 01:01 PM
I'll let the trailer do the talking.

Such a funny-ass movie. The last 10 minutes are proably the most priceless thing I have seen in a film in a long time.

DethMaiden
04-27-2010, 01:03 PM
I probably won't see them again just because the time I did see them it was over 60 bucks to be pretty fucking far from the stage, but I'm definitely not sorry I went.

Natrlhi
04-27-2010, 01:33 PM
Not as much as something like
"Everybody listens to ___"
"___ sucks"
You can fill in the blanks with a number of bands.Oh, so it's my other pet peeve. Normally, Manks is not a big offender on that one, though. Normally, it's the approval-seeking kids who are trying to be cool who pull that shit. Manks is already cool, he's just EXTREMELY misguided about one particular band, is all. ;) (It's just a bitch that it happens to be one of the best bands ever.)

I'll let the trailer do the talking.Oh, snap! It's Undercover Brother all over again, and better! I gots ta add dat badness ta my Blockbusta queue!

http://www.cinemablend.com/images/news_img/14643/14643.jpg
You mess with the fro,
YOU GOTS TO GO!!!

mankvill
04-27-2010, 02:59 PM
I don't like tool cuz i think their songs are boring

the radio plays them all the time, i've tried to listen to songs on the youtubes, and hell i've even suffered through a 3 song set of theirs in Guitar Hero

it's just supa boring to me

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/2248/shrug4.gif

JRA
04-27-2010, 03:56 PM

This is exactly how I feel, and Tool used to be in regular listening rotation for me. There's still a couple of exceptions, but some of their lengthier songs go on for far too long, that I'll just randomly go of in a brief daze about something and then 4 minutes later I'm like "What the fuck, this is still on this same groove?" Third Eye and Reflection come to mind.

That being said, I certainly hope Tool change their setlist around.

TonyD
04-27-2010, 04:21 PM

the radio plays them all the time, i've tried to listen to songs on the youtubes, and hell i've even suffered through a 3 song set of theirs in Guitar Hero

it's just supa boring to me

http://img704.imageshack.us/img704/2248/shrug4.gif

How the hell do you like Sleep?

idrinkwine732
04-27-2010, 04:27 PM
Think we'll get a show on this one Tony?

mankvill
04-27-2010, 04:28 PM

Awesome riffs, unparalleled heaviness, perfect mix of guitar/bass/drums/vocals, doesn't get boring. I can listen to 63 minutes of Dopesmoker but barely make it through one Tool song on the radio.

TonyD
04-27-2010, 04:54 PM
Think we'll get a show on this one Tony?

I would assume yes, pretty much a guaranteed sell out. It would probably be in the 2 weeks between Oklahoma and Canada. I wouldn't be going anyway, I'm not much of a fan.

JRA
04-27-2010, 05:19 PM

Because they're smart enough to change the riff/groove every once in awhile.

bt11763
04-27-2010, 08:43 PM
Not pissing into the wind with this discussion but i will say fuck all of you I love Tool more than most of my family.

the radio plays them all the time

really?? i never hear tool around here.
TOOL is planning on hitting the road this summer.

i just wanted to let you know that your avatar is hilarious

but i'm pumped saw them for free last summer, it was the single greatest concert experience of my life. and they can definitely add a tri state date in between oklahoma and canada :party:

mankvill
04-27-2010, 08:51 PM
Yeah, the rock station here plays them quite a bit actually.

idrinkwine732
04-27-2010, 08:58 PM
I would assume yes, pretty much a guaranteed sell out. It would probably be in the 2 weeks between Oklahoma and Canada. I wouldn't be going anyway, I'm not much of a fan.

WAAAAAAHHHH??

That's fine, more space for me and my fellow Tool fans.

undergroundrage
04-27-2010, 09:15 PM
Hope they get a Florida date. TOOL is one band I would travel 4+ hours to see.

TonyD
04-27-2010, 09:28 PM
Radio here is pure shit. I wish they would play anything other than classic rock (with few or no b-side type tracks), or mainstream hard rock.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
04-27-2010, 09:31 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Tool again. Saw them on the Aenima tour in '96. Maynard was dressed only in a loin cloth and was painted head to toe in blue.

Natrlhi
04-28-2010, 10:20 AM
Boring. That's your explanation? Sorry, I'm not buying it. I find 2,375,481,247,215,476 bands out there quite boring, but I don't seek out threads about them on the Internet and post smileys of guys barfing or shaking their finger at someone who posts about them. There's more to your story that you're not telling, whether you realize it or not. You act like the guys from Tool repeatedly beat you up and stole your lunch money when you were a kid. It just does not compute. I guess we'll never really know exactly why you dislike this band so much, unless you have an epihany of actual truth someday and decide to share it with us.

...and by the way, to call these guys boring is just absurd. Whoever said they never change the riffs is just out of their fucking head. Take the song "Roseta Stoned", for example. They change riffs - and in fact, they change entire time signatures - so often in that song, that you'd think they had collective ADHD when they wrote it. The thing that makes it totally badass though, is that despite all the time signature changes, and despite the fact that not one of the many time signatures used is 4/4 or something BORING like that, would lead one to believe that the music would sound like a bunch of discordant noise...yet it flows as smooth as silk (another sublime example of this is the song Lateralus - the main chorus is a repetition of measures of 9/8, 8/8 and 7/8). Name for me another band who can do that as well as Tool. I dare you.

Boring, my ass. As I postulated in my earlier e-mail, you just don't listen deep enough, because of some preconceived notion that you have that they suck, and it isn't worth your time. The real beauty of Tool is that when you listen carefully, you keep discovering new things like peeling away the layers of an onion. It's really quite beautiful stuff (that's still badass at the same time), and it makes you think, but it takes some patience...something which not everybody has, I guess.

mankvill
04-28-2010, 11:11 AM
Yeah, boring.

I have no preconceived prejudices against them, some bully didn't beat me up wearing a Tool shirt (starting to sound a bit like jhdeity there, Nat. :nonono: ) and I don't hate them because of their fans or anything. All the songs I've heard are boring, not heavy, and Maynard has a terrible voice IMO. It's all droning (not the good kind) and never goes anywhere for me. It's almost like they sacrifice what makes a good song to be "different". I get that they have crazy time signatures and all that and I like Dillinger Escape Plan who has even CRAZIER time signatures, so it's not that. It's just the combination of boring music and terrible vocals to me.

Sorry. ;_;

edit: and I seeked out this thread to post a barfing smiley because I knew it'd get you all flustered, and you know how I like it when you're all flustered :lovedup:

undergroundrage
04-28-2010, 12:13 PM
I always thought of Tool as the universal band that everyone loves, but I have found a few over the years who don't like them and oddly enough, not one of these people can explain or pin point what it is that they don't like.

Natrlhi's last post pretty much hits it on the head. The more you listen to Tool, and 'peal apart the onion' (as he said), the better they get. There is just so much to them, musically and lyrically. Boring is the last word I would ever use in reference to Tool. And their live show is one of the best you will ever see.

mankvill
04-28-2010, 12:23 PM
not one of these people can explain or pin point what it is that they don't like.

i just did

bt11763
04-28-2010, 12:30 PM
It's all droning (not the good kind)

It's just the combination of boring music and terrible vocals to me.

i'm surprised you feel that way to be honest.

the vocal part i can kind of understand, i know a lot of people who love a huge spectrum of heavy music but can't get into clean singing of any kind.

but i'm surprised you don't like the droning nature of tool.

oh well :tp:

undergroundrage
04-28-2010, 12:33 PM
i just did

Uh huh...really? I mean, you're saying Maynard's 'voice is terrible'....really? :confused: They 'sacrifice what makes a good song to be 'different' ...really? :tp: And 'All the songs I've heard are boring'....so what songs have you heard, exactly? Maybe this is the problem. Then again, you and I don't seem to agree on anything when it comes to music and I still have yet to figure out what it is that you like.

mankvill
04-28-2010, 01:37 PM
Uh huh...really? I mean, you're saying Maynard's 'voice is terrible'....really? :confused: They 'sacrifice what makes a good song to be 'different' ...really? :tp: And 'All the songs I've heard are boring'....so what songs have you heard, exactly? Maybe this is the problem. Then again, you and I don't seem to agree on anything when it comes to music and I still have yet to figure out what it is that you like.

You're asking me to specifically tell you which Tool songs I've heard on the radio and that I've looked up on Youtube? :lol: Good luck with that. I just either hear it on the radio or youtube "tool" and listen there. I don't remember what the songs were called. :tongue:

Yes, I think Maynard's voice is horrendous.

edit: I'm not saying Tool is a bad band by any stretch, it's just not my bag. Same with Pink Floyd. I'd be stupid to truly believe Pink Floyd is a bad band, but I just don't like them.

DethMaiden
04-28-2010, 01:40 PM
edit: I'm not saying Tool is a bad band by any stretch, it's just not my bag. Same with Pink Floyd. I'd be stupid to truly believe Pink Floyd is a bad band, but I just don't like them.

I don't know how anyone can argue with manks when this is his opinion. He's being pretty damn respectful of the bands that he dislikes, even though HE WRONG!

mankvill
04-28-2010, 01:42 PM
I don't know how anyone can argue with manks when this is his opinion. He's being pretty damn respectful of the bands that he dislikes, even though HE WRONG!

No, YOU and XStructualDefect WRONG!

undergroundrage
04-28-2010, 02:12 PM
You're asking me to specifically tell you which Tool songs I've heard on the radio and that I've looked up on Youtube? :lol: Good luck with that. I just either hear it on the radio or youtube "tool" and listen there. I don't remember what the songs were called. :tongue:

Yes, I think Maynard's voice is horrendous.

Ok, since you know they are amazing, and wouldn't say they are bad, I'll let you slide this time. :rocker: But you're missing out...

Uncle_Meat1940
04-29-2010, 06:18 PM
Name for me another band who can do that as well as Tool. I dare you.

Zappa.

ADD
04-29-2010, 07:15 PM
It's understandable that Maynard's voice might be disagreeable to some, and since most of the music in their songs (the riffs) are all in the same key or the same couple of keys (hella songs in D mainly) primarily that makes it all sound similar or "boring" in a sense. No one can deny the power of their rhythm section though. As for the lyrics and aesthetic you either relate to it or not, and I've found that those who do relate to it strongly.

Natrlhi
04-29-2010, 09:06 PM
I've been away for a while, and I avoided this thread for even longer than that, just because the discussion got me so twisted up and I hate it when that happens. Let me try and say a few things here as objectively as possible, and hopefully anybody who has an opinion will appreciate that I'm trying to be as real and honest as I can be, so I hope you can return the respect:

I don't know how anyone can argue with manks when this is his opinion. He's being pretty damn respectful of the bands that he dislikes, even though HE WRONG!Yeah, but you see, he isn't being that respectful. That's what got my undies in a bunch to begin with. I mean, nobody knows better than I do that Manks is a jokester. I get it - but this seems to go deeper than that. He posts that fucking barf smiley or something similar...like clockwork, every time the name of the band is even mentioned. It almost doesn't matter what's being said - if the person seems to like Tool in the least, he's posting the barfy guy or the guy with the shaking finger, as if to say, "liking that band is a big no-no in my book". It just gets old, and he does it with so much utter consistency, that for me it's just like "enough is enough, already! Why all the hate, bro? Do you have any idea how awesome the band you're mocking really is?"

I always thought of Tool as the universal band that everyone lovesNow even I know that's not true, because I didn't like them myself at one point. But then I evolved. ;)

not one of these people can explain or pin point what it is that they don't like.I've experienced the same thing. That's why I threw down the challenge - and although Manks didn't exactly sound like an idiot (because he's not) trying to explain his position, he didn't exactly convince me, either. More on that later.

The more you listen to Tool, and 'peal apart the onion' (as he said), the better they get. There is just so much to them, musically and lyrically. Boring is the last word I would ever use in reference to Tool. And their live show is one of the best you will ever see.Agree with all of this, and not just because some of it is just paraphrasing what I said. They really are a complex band, and their work reflects that. Also, their live show is nothing short of phenomenal. Honestly, it makes me sad to think that Manks may never get to experience it because of whatever his hangups are with these guys. I would so love to compare notes with him someday on how awesome the Tool show was that he saw - but alas. :(

i just didYeah, but I'm still not buying it. Well, not all of it, anyway. The vocals...I guess. The "boring" comment? No. But I've already replied to that, so I'll leave that part alone. The rest of what you said was just sort of thrown in there to add to the argument, I think - those first two were your main points, and together they just don't add up to a hell of a lot. The argument just seems too weakly made when compared to the apparent strength of your feelings about bashing them every chance you get. It just doesn't add up. It's like killing flies with a bazooka. :confused:

You're asking me to specifically tell you which Tool songs I've heard on the radio and that I've looked up on Youtube? :lol: Good luck with that. I just either hear it on the radio or youtube "tool" and listen there. I don't remember what the songs were called.This is perhaps part of the problem. Radio and YouTube are two of the shittiest ways to really check out a band...MySpace samples being the third. There's no audio fidelity there, and a band like Tool almost demands that. Part of their appeal is how intricate yet clean and tight they are. They are all extraordinarily talented musicians - especially Danny. He is one of the best drummers alive, and there are hordes of professional drummers in other really good bands who freely acknowledge that. Another part of their appeal is that the quiet interludes can sometimes be as interesting as the thundering parts. Radio and samples just don't give you an appreciation of this. What one really needs to listen to Tool properly is a decent stereo and their CD's...purchased, preferably, but burned works too in a pinch. Headphones are also highly recommended.

The fact that you don't remember a single song title (or at least you claim that you don't), says to me that you never really gave a fuck and probably never really gave them a chance. That's another reason why it bugs me so much that you bash them so. If you really haven't listened, then how can you claim to have a truly informed opinion?

Zappa.Close. I'll give you that. Close, but still not quite there. Nice try, though. ;)

All right, I'm done. I think I might have carpal tunnel syndrome now, but at least I feel better. Somebody let me know if you actually had the stones to read this whole thing. If so, you get a cookie. :D

undergroundrage
04-29-2010, 09:41 PM
I read it... :party:

mankvill
04-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Tool

:barf: :nonono:

:D

Fires Of Sedition
04-30-2010, 12:01 AM
my friends call me gay for liking Tool :(

Natrlhi
04-30-2010, 07:41 AM
I read it... :party:

Well, a promise is a promise:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_53oMB4-fxXM/SVZZdJntnPI/AAAAAAAAAAM/vXEtrdBFtqI/s1600-R/cookie.gif

my friends call me gay for liking Tool :(

Tell your friends their mothers are gay. ;)

Fires Of Sedition
04-30-2010, 07:46 AM
Tell your friends their mothers are gay. ;)

I just secretly bone their mothers.

idrinkwine732
04-30-2010, 07:46 AM
The first time a your mom joke was used, it must have been fucking hilarious.

Fires Of Sedition
04-30-2010, 08:02 AM
The first time a your mom joke was used, it must have been fucking hilarious.

I hate using a headset on Xbox Live because all I hear is "well I fucked your mom last night OHHHHH"

TonyD
04-30-2010, 11:06 AM
I hate using a headset on Xbox Live because all I hear is "well I fucked your mom last night OHHHHH"

If it's sarcastic, that's mildly funny :lol:

mankvill
05-03-2010, 11:47 AM
On the way: Tool
This announcement arrived early this morning: Tool at Sprint Center on June 25, a Friday. Tickets will be $49.50 and $59.50 and go on sale at 10 a.m. Saturday.

:bouville:

Uncle_Meat1940
05-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Close?!?!? hahahaha, you don't even know man. You don't even know.. unless you too have every single studio album and have listened to them all as many times as I have.

MPF
05-03-2010, 12:41 PM
Tool's coming to Minnesota July 1st. Didn't hear where. I'm ASSuming it's the Excel or Target Center. Tickets go on Sale May 7th.