PDA

View Full Version : What bands are "Universally" liked by Metal fans?

Crionics
04-25-2010, 12:23 PM
This thought hit me a while ago. Every fan has their own taste in metal. Some will like extreme, some will like power, traditional, etc. Now, what bands seem to be "universally" liked by metalheads? Now ofcourse, universal is a loose term, as no band is universally liked. By universal, I would say a good 85/90% of metalheads enjoy.

The names that come to my mind include Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Megadeth (atleast their earlier material), Slayer (see Megadeth), and Death. Discuss.

bt11763
04-25-2010, 12:25 PM
hm that's a good question.

i'd have to say, without a doubt, the two biggest names that come to mind are Slipknot and Suicide Silence :horns:

Crionics
04-25-2010, 12:26 PM
hm that's a good question.

i'd have to say, without a doubt, the two biggest names that come to mind are Slipknot and Suicide Silence :horns:

dont forgot attack attack

b_halperin
04-25-2010, 12:26 PM
POWERGLOVE.

Maiden33
04-25-2010, 12:27 PM
This thought hit me a while ago. Every fan has their own taste in metal. Some will like extreme, some will like power, traditional, etc. Now, what bands seem to be "universally" liked by metalheads? Now ofcourse, universal is a loose term, as no band is universally liked. By universal, I would say a good 85/90% of metalheads enjoy.

The names that come to my mind include Iron Maiden, Black Sabbath, Megadeth (atleast their earlier material), Slayer (see Megadeth), and Death. Discuss.

Yes, Yes (non-Ozzy eras the most), Somewhat, No, No.

I am abnormal though.

Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Metallica (pre-Black Album), and to a lesser extent, Motorhead were always pretty much the "Big 5" of Universal Metal Fanship to my knowledge.

b_halperin
04-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Nickelback

DethMaiden
04-25-2010, 12:29 PM
There's really no universally agreed upon metal bands because I know metalheads who dislike just about every "classic" band, but I'd say Maiden/Priest/Sabbath has to have the most appeal across the metal spectra.

Crionics
04-25-2010, 12:30 PM
Yes, Yes (non-Ozzy eras the most), Somewhat, No, No.

I am abnormal though.

Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Black Sabbath, Metallica (pre-Black Album), and to a lesser extent, Motorhead were always pretty much the "Big 5" of Universal Metal Fanship to my knowledge.

Ah yes, Motorhead is pretty widely liked. Also another point I've brought up to myself is bands like Blind Guardian. Their well liked, however I wonder if they are well known enough to be considered universal.

Maiden33
04-25-2010, 12:30 PM
There's really no universally agreed upon metal bands because I know metalheads who dislike just about every "classic" band, but I'd say Maiden/Priest/Sabbath has to have the most appeal across the metal spectra.

Yeah, this.

Maiden33
04-25-2010, 12:31 PM
Ah yes, Motorhead is pretty widely liked. Also another point I've brought up to myself is bands like Blind Guardian. Their well liked, however I wonder if they are well known enough to be considered universal.

Certainly not, but they and Helloween are easily the two most popular and universally respected power metal bands. Iced Earth are in this category for popularity as well, if you consider them power metal, which I do not.

ravenheart
04-25-2010, 12:33 PM
I wouldn't have picked Death simply because they're not known well enough.

ravenheart
04-25-2010, 12:33 PM
Certainly not, but they and Helloween are easily the two most popular and universally respected power metal bands. Iced Earth are in this category for popularity as well, if you consider them power metal, which I do not.

In Europe, Hammerfall are in this group as well.

Crionics
04-25-2010, 12:34 PM
I wouldn't have picked Death simply because they're not known well enough.

Yeah, I just thought of that right now..I don't think any Death/Black band could really fit this now actually.

SomewhereInTime72
04-25-2010, 12:37 PM
Maiden, Priest, and Sabbath. I would say they are the Holy Trinity of metal. Just about everyone that likes metal is a fan of those three.

Crionics
04-25-2010, 12:38 PM
Judas Priest is interesting, because I have a few met metal fans who say their not into them, for the most part I'd say their well liked, but I'm not sure about universal.

Maiden33
04-25-2010, 12:43 PM
In Europe, Hammerfall are in this group as well.

Yeah, to be fair they're not incredibly far in America, they certainly have some status. As with the three I mentioned, they are pretty much "Power Metal bands that people who don't like power metal will listen to".

evildeadjedi
04-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Probably the closest to universally accepted is Maiden and Sabbath.

ravenheart
04-25-2010, 12:58 PM
Probably the closest to universally accepted is Maiden and Sabbath.

But as Maiden33 said, only Sabbath with Ozzy. Most have that stubbornly meat-headed "No Ozzy = No Sabbath" thing going on.

evildeadjedi
04-25-2010, 01:06 PM
But as Maiden33 said, only Sabbath with Ozzy. Most have that stubbornly meat-headed "No Ozzy = No Sabbath" thing going on.

Very true so probably the closest is Sabbath with Ozzy along with Maiden.

ChildrenofSodom
04-25-2010, 01:09 PM
Well, non-metalheads seem to think all metalheads like Slipknot, so I'd say that.

Akumu
04-25-2010, 01:20 PM
Not a "classic" band, but everyone seems to love Blind Guardian.

TonyD
04-25-2010, 01:26 PM

Meat headed? No.
I'm not saying post-Ozzy is bad, but it's a different band, and the majority belief is that the original is better.
I'm pretty sure that they tried changing their name at the time of Born Again but the record company wouldn't have it, and I'm really pleased that they're touring and releasing under H&H now.

ravenheart
04-25-2010, 01:28 PM
Tony wanted to put Seventh Star out as a solo record and they wouldn't let him.

I don't go with the change of members = different band thing though.

And I've seen a lot of people insist on referring to H&H as Black Sabbath.

Things are whatever the artist wants them to be called. All of the other line-ups of the band are still Black Sabbath to me. And I call Heaven & Hell but its correct name too. Things are what they are.

Maiden33
04-25-2010, 01:31 PM
And I've seen a lot of people insist on referring to H&H as Black Sabbath.

Me. :D

JRA
04-25-2010, 01:35 PM
I do believe I already made a thread regarding this topic:

http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=9908&highlight=tier+list
:D

I also don't think Sabbath post Ozzy is tr00 Sabbath (sans Dehumanizer). It's not that the lack of Ozzy crippled the sound as much as it is Dio -being the control freak he is- trying to turn the band into Rainbow.

Maiden33
04-25-2010, 01:37 PM
It's not that the lack of Ozzy crippled the sound as much as it is Dio -being the control freak he is- trying to turn the band into Rainbow.

http://rofl.wheresthebeef.co.uk/Rolleyes%20Puking%20Rolleyes.gif

JRA
04-25-2010, 01:39 PM
http://rofl.wheresthebeef.co.uk/Rolleyes%20Puking%20Rolleyes.gif

It's the absolute truth. A large chunk of people Dio have worked with have said the same thing.

mankvill
04-25-2010, 01:42 PM
Anyone who says they don't like the first 4 Metallica records is someone just trying to be cool.

Maiden33
04-25-2010, 01:43 PM
It's the absolute truth. A large chunk of people Dio have worked with have said the same thing.

1) No it's not, even if you have all the evidence to back it up. For the record, I'd be interested in seeing some.

2) If it was "all Dio's fault", why did Tony & Co. not start making more dark/doomy records when Dio left? The Tony Martin stuff (especially Headless Cross and TYR) sounds even more melodic, keyboard-heavy, and power metal-y than a lot of the Dio stuff.

JRA
04-25-2010, 01:51 PM
1) No it's not, even if you have all the evidence to back it up. For the record, I'd be interested in seeing some.

2) If it was "all Dio's fault", why did Tony & Co. not start making more dark/doomy records when Dio left? The Tony Martin stuff (especially Headless Cross and TYR) sounds even more melodic, keyboard-heavy, and power metal-y than a lot of the Dio stuff.

If Tony had has way he probably would have stopped using the band's name in 1986, freeing him of all pretentions from making doomy music.

Maiden33
04-25-2010, 01:52 PM
If Tony had has way he probably would have stopped using the band's name in 1986, freeing him of all pretentions from making doomy music.

True, but that doesn't prove your point.

JRA
04-25-2010, 02:06 PM
True, but that doesn't prove your point.

The point that it stopped being Black Sabbath after Ozzy left? Yea it does.

Maiden33
04-25-2010, 03:19 PM
The point that it stopped being Black Sabbath after Ozzy left? Yea it does.

If that had been your originally point, I'd agree - but you seemed more concerned about the fact that Dio was bending the rest of the band to his will, and that was the reason why they changed in the first place. As I said, regardless of name, Tony never seemed to have a problem with the changes and continued to make the style of music long after Dio left - which somewhat disproves what you were suggesting. I'm not trying to make the case for post-Ozzy Sabbath being the "same band".

Dextrimental
04-25-2010, 04:00 PM
I think Sabbath, Priest and Maiden are about right, as well as early era-Metallica, in fact early era of the big four in general.

Pantera get alot of love in the metal world as well, obviously its not universal, but they would be up there in terms of consideration.

ravenheart
04-25-2010, 04:43 PM
To quote Tony Iommi literally last week "I never thought I'd play under a different name". I don't think he had that much of a problem calling the band Black Sabbath at all.

ravenheart
04-25-2010, 04:47 PM
It's not that the lack of Ozzy crippled the sound as much as it is Dio -being the control freak he is- trying to turn the band into Rainbow.

If that were even remotely true, and I don't agree that it is, what of the music made with Martin, Gillan and Hughes? Dio had no influence on that at all, so that argument doesn't hold for that not being "tr00" Sabbath at all.

"Tr00" Sabbath is whatever Tony wants to put the name Black Sabbath on. If he'd put it on the Fused album and said that was a reformed Iommi/Hughes Black Sabbath, then that's what it is.

DethMaiden
04-25-2010, 05:31 PM
"Tr00" Sabbath is whatever Tony wants to put the name Black Sabbath on. If he'd put it on the Fused album and said that was a reformed Iommi/Hughes Black Sabbath, then that's what it is.

Precisely. Whatever the name on the package is, that's what the band is. Bands change in sound. It doesn't make one era real and another fake. It can make one era good and another bad, but it can't illegitimize one or the other.

JRA
04-25-2010, 06:37 PM
Precisely. Whatever the name on the package is, that's what the band is. Bands change in sound. It doesn't make one era real and another fake. It can make one era good and another bad, but it can't illegitimize one or the other.

It can illegitimize them if they start putting out crappy songs like Walk Away, Country Girl, and just about every song on Eternal Idol that isn't Anno Mundi.

Maiden33
04-25-2010, 09:00 PM
It can illegitimize them if they start putting out crappy songs like Walk Away, Country Girl, and just about every song on Eternal Idol that isn't Anno Mundi.

Ahem... Anno Mundi is on TYR (which rules pretty much from start to finish IMO). I'm not gonna argue that Walk Away and Country Girl suck - but every band is entitled to some filler.

JRA
04-25-2010, 11:04 PM
Ahem... Anno Mundi is on TYR (which rules pretty much from start to finish IMO). I'm not gonna argue that Walk Away and Country Girl suck - but every band is entitled to some filler.

ARRRGHFUCKFUCKFUCKFUCK I meant The Shining.

Yes every band is entitled to filler. That's what Wishing Well, Lady Evil, Over and Over, Changes and Rat Salad are. But Walk Away is pure unmitigated diaper AIDS.

DethMaiden
04-25-2010, 11:05 PM

Yes every band is entitled to filler. That's what Wishing Well, Lady Evil, Over and Over, Am I Going Insane and Rat Salad are. But Walk Away is pure unmitigated diaper AIDS.

You just lost your talking about Sabbath privileges.

Maiden33
04-25-2010, 11:12 PM

Yes every band is entitled to filler. That's what Wishing Well, Lady Evil, Over and Over, Changes and Rat Salad are. But Walk Away is pure unmitigated diaper AIDS.

I think Wishing Well and Over and Over are easily the two most underrated songs of Dio-Sabbath. :D

TonyD
04-26-2010, 01:19 AM

Breakin ma balls

The Green and Black
04-26-2010, 07:02 AM
Yes every band is entitled to filler. That's what Wishing Well

Are you high? Wishing Well Rules.

ravenheart
04-26-2010, 07:07 AM
Are you high? Wishing Well Rules.

Agreed. I love Lady Evil and Over And Over too.

If you want to talk filler, 'Laguna Sunrise', 'Am I Going Insane?', 'Who Are You', 'FX', 'Breakout' and frankly 'Planet Caravan'.

JRA
04-26-2010, 07:53 AM

If you want to talk filler, 'Laguna Sunrise', 'Am I Going Insane?', 'Who Are You', 'FX', 'Breakout' and frankly 'Planet Caravan'.

I was gonna list Who Are You, but that's almost as bad as Walk Away.

ravenheart
04-26-2010, 07:54 AM
I was gonna list Who Are You, but that's almost as bad as Walk Away.

Lol. Walk Away destroys it in every way.

JRA
04-26-2010, 07:55 AM
Lol. Walk Away destroys it in every way.

You like Sammy Hagar, so you probably masturbate to the fact that Tony Iommi is writing his type of song. ;)

Sanitarium78
04-26-2010, 12:08 PM
I also don't think Sabbath post Ozzy is tr00 Sabbath (sans Dehumanizer). It's not that the lack of Ozzy crippled the sound as much as it is Dio -being the control freak he is- trying to turn the band into Rainbow.

Sabbath changed their sound a lot on Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die before Dio came along. So he's not completely to blame for the sound change. Sabbath is Iommi's band plain and simple, and he wouldn't have let Dio in the band if he didn't want to go in that direction. I'm sure Iommi was aware of who Dio was when they decided to work together and what he brought to the table songwritting wise. I don't think Dio was trying to be as bad of a control freak as you think. Dio has a distinctive songwritting style and so does Sabbath and they put together both sounds very well on H&H and TMR.

As much as I love Iommi, he's the one who's the real control freak if you ask me. Everyone has left him, and in some cases, comeback and left again through the years. Yes, Dio has had band members come and go as well but nothing like Sabbath. I'm not doubting that Dio isn't a control freak but if you're gonna call Dio that you've also gotta acknowledge that Iommi is one as well. Tony is probably one of the worst offenders of all time when it comes to ultimate control over his band.

Now for the original topic. I will argee with others who've mentioned Maiden, Priest and Ozzy era Sabbath as some of the most universally liked metal. I will also agree with who mentioned the early stuff from The Big Four being liked by everyone as well. Dio also seems to have everyone's approval. But i'm not sure how much that has to do with his music sometimes or if it's just how awesome of a guy he is. Either way Ronnie seems to have an endless love coming from the metal world.

ravenheart
04-26-2010, 12:16 PM
You like Sammy Hagar, so you probably masturbate to the fact that Tony Iommi is writing his type of song. ;)

Er, actually, I don't. Just that one album I bought a while back. Which has proven to be no more than better than average. I dislike most of his stuff, and most of what he's been involved in.

makethemsuffer12
04-26-2010, 12:23 PM

FUCK YOU!! :finger2:

ADD
04-27-2010, 12:15 PM
Manilla Road

TonyD
04-27-2010, 12:23 PM

Who Are You is the only one there I see as filler. Laguna Sunrise was obviously meant to be there and isn't a bad track at all. Am I Going Insane was an attempt at a radio hit. FX is an interlude, and the product of way too much cocaine. Most of Never Say Die is filler itself. But Planet Caravan is crossing the line.

I think you're going for "Sabbath songs I don't like".

ravenheart
04-27-2010, 12:51 PM
Nope, I'm sticking with 'Planet Caravan' as filler. There was no need for that to be there and it's not very good. The definition of filler. It's the only song I skip on that album.

Interlude=filler. There is no other purpose for an interlude outside of a concept album, and even then they're usually not necessary.

The only ones I potentially see as filler on 'Never Say Die' are 'Swinging The Chain' and 'Breakout'. The rest are good, worthwhile songs. Especially 'Shockwave', which is ridiculously underrated. Although I don't like 'A Hard Road' very much.

JRA
04-27-2010, 01:00 PM
Manilla Road

haha not funny.

mankvill
04-27-2010, 03:40 PM
Manilla Road

:punk: