PDA

View Full Version : An interesting thing to think about

Maiden33
04-24-2010, 10:04 AM
Metal-Archives allows you to sort bands by general subgenre, which basically organizes every band on the site under 11 blanket categories, which I think pretty much sums up a lot of what was said in our topic about "Too many subgenres", that all forms of metal, no matter how eclectic, can more or less be put under one of about ten general subgenres.

Now, the reason I posted this is that when you sort by subgenre, it shows you how many bands the website has under that particular heading. The results were honestly pretty surprising to me. From most-to-least popular, they are:

Death - 25,542
Black - 18,039
Speed/Thrash - 17,699
Heavy/Traditional - 12,190
Doom - 5,411
Gothic - 2,556
Power - 5,250
Progressive - 4,943
Orchestral/Symphonic - 1,328
Folk/Viking - 1,200
Electronic - 822

Just something I thought might lead to some interesting discussion. So... discuss.

ravenheart
04-24-2010, 10:06 AM
This makes quite a lot of sense to me. Two things, really.

a) those genres nearest the top are the ones in which there's the most copycatting going on while remaining popular despite that (a lot goes on in power metal too, but it's not quite so highly regarded because it's not brooootaaall (!!!!) enough, and therefore not as "cool"), they're also the easiest to start a band in and attain moderate success while being ordinary

b) anything with extreme vocals gets called death metal, so I'm not surprised that's at the top

The Green and Black
04-24-2010, 10:25 AM
I would be curious to know if the genres repeat, meaning like say Finntroll would be considered Viking Folk and also Death. Same with a lot of Black Metal bands can overlap with Death Metal and be counted possible twice, doubling the numbers.

Maiden33
04-24-2010, 10:27 AM
I would be curious to know if the genres repeat, meaning like say Finntroll would be considered Viking Folk and also Death. Same with a lot of Black Metal bands can overlap with Death Metal and be counted possible twice, doubling the numbers.

True, it's quite possible, I didn't check. I think there's still a lot of validity in the numbers even if it's true.

powerslave_85
04-24-2010, 11:55 AM
WTF is "gothic" metal?

Maiden33
04-24-2010, 11:58 AM
WTF is "gothic" metal?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_metal

It's far from the only aspect, but...

All those annoying bands with chick singers, lots of symphonic elements and boring chugga-chugga riffs? Yep.

ravenheart
04-24-2010, 12:00 PM
The stuff with Danzig-esque vocals like, erm, early The 69 Eyes or something, that gets referred too as Goth Metal too.

Oddly so does Paradise Lost and My Dying Bride...

mankvill
04-24-2010, 12:10 PM
Not nearly enough thrash.

powerslave_85
04-24-2010, 12:35 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gothic_metal

It's far from the only aspect, but...

All those annoying bands with chick singers, lots of symphonic elements and boring chugga-chugga riffs? Yep.
Oh. I usually refer to that as "shit."

JuuKun
04-24-2010, 12:54 PM
Sentenced > All other Gothic Metal.

I'm not surprised at all that Death and Black are the highest, because there's so much room for being a cookie-cutter Death or Black band and still get some sort of attention. Originality is sacrificed for brutality.

I am atleast a little surprised that there's a full 20,000 more Death Metal bands than there are Power.

Cynicist
04-24-2010, 01:23 PM
True, it's quite possible, I didn't check. I think there's still a lot of validity in the numbers even if it's true.

Death shows up in Death Metal and Progressive

ravenheart
04-24-2010, 03:31 PM
Death shows up in Death Metal and Progressive

Right, so anything with extreme vocals, even if it belongs in another genre, will get put in death or black.

Div
04-24-2010, 03:42 PM
WTF is "gothic" metal?

cradle of filth?

The Green and Black
04-25-2010, 08:55 AM
Right, so anything with extreme vocals, even if it belongs in another genre, will get put in death or black.

Right, which also goes back to what I said earlier about the numbers being so high for Death and Black, because they are doubled up. A lot of extreme vocals bands are classified as both these days. So I'm not so sure those numbers are entirely accurate.

mastodon421
04-25-2010, 10:06 AM
I hate Metal Archives.

mankvill
04-25-2010, 11:37 AM
I hate Metal Archives.

y?