PDA

View Full Version : 4/20 is the Worst Holiday Ever

ChildrenofSodom
04-21-2010, 02:48 PM
So, yesterday I'm sure alot of people here, and elsewhere in the world, consumed cannabinoids in observance of the holiday. I am all for personal choice, and frankly, I think marijuana should be decriminalized because its effects are less lethal than those of other drugs, and our prisons are overflowing with nonviolent offenders. That being said....

I hate having friends that smoke (at least 3 times a week, lets say) because they are the least dependable, most forgetful, most excuse-creating people on the planet. I'm not talking about the 'occasionally' folks, I'm talking the people who don't do it enough to be called a 'pothead' or to say that they are 'addicted', but do it enough to annoy the fuck out of everyone around them. Heres a tip: do your drugs in your house and don't fucking leave! Don't come out into society for me to have to deal with you. If you're like my friend who "toked up" 6 times yesterday, and can barely function as a human being when its in his lungs/on his mind/in his pocket, then kindly fuck off and leave me out of your business. I made plans with said friend, which were promptly forgotten as soon as the bong hit his lips. Instead, he played Counterstrike with some other high douchebag because he was "too tired to walk outside."

It is very annoying when someone is high (and you aren't) and the habits, subculture, rationale of the same person are just as obnoxious when they are preparing to smoke or talking about past experiences smoking. If anyone reading this smokes, I'm not trying to bash you, because maybe you are different. But in my experiences, weed is a mood/friendship-killer.

GRRRRRRRRRR [/rant]

I'm just butthurt, sorry. Carry on. :tongue:

mankvill
04-21-2010, 02:53 PM
It's not a holiday, just an excuse for stoners to shove their hobby in your face even more, as if they didn't enough. Someone made a good point yesterday (I dunno if it was here or elsewhere): you don't see heroin addicts glorifying it. They don't have posters on their walls of poppy and they don't have all this technical jargon for it. 4/20 is lame because it just amps up how annoying stoners can be by 10,000. I only have like 2 friends who smoke weed that don't constantly talk about it/have to get high before a concert/have to smoke weed before they go out on the weekend/etc. Every other person I've come into contact with who smokes weed regularly is fucking annoying. :mad:

edit: Living in a college town (and one of the only blue counties in the state), I'm subject to fucking hippies touting how good hemp is and how harmless weed is. Holy fucking shit, they never shut the fuck up.

xStructualDefect
04-21-2010, 02:54 PM
i smoke weed sometimes but i get what you're saying. the ones who do it constantly all day everyday can be lame like how you described. that's why when i smoke weed i usually only do it with around people who are only gonna be smoking it.

IrritatedTrout
04-21-2010, 03:05 PM
:stoned::hippie::stoned:

mankvill
04-21-2010, 03:10 PM
:stoned::hippie::stoned:

:stoned:

DROP

OUUUUUUUUUUUT

OF LIFE

WITH

BEYOOOOOONG

IIIIINNNN

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAND

See, if every stoner celebrated 4/20 by getting high while listening to Dopesmoker instead of blasting Lil' Wayne from their cars while they smoked, the world would be an amazing place.

ChildrenofSodom
04-21-2010, 03:13 PM
People act like smoking weed is an accomplishment. "Woah dude, you smoked THAT much? Awesome brah!"

mankvill
04-21-2010, 03:14 PM
People act like smoking weed is an accomplishment. "Woah dude, you smoked THAT much? Awesome brah!"

Achievement Unlocked: Brag to 200 people who don't give a shit about how you smoke weed!

ChildrenofSodom
04-21-2010, 03:16 PM
And....the whole subculture is stupid. I don't put posters of all the different kinds of powerade I like to drink.

undergroundrage
04-21-2010, 03:23 PM
Not all stoners are the same. Some actual function, hold down jobs, and live their life just fine. It has little to do with the drug and mostly to do with the type of person you're dealing with to begin with.

Crionics
04-21-2010, 03:44 PM
I have some friends who smoke occasionaly, and that's fine, but those who take part in the whole "St0n3r f0r l1f3" shit annoy me.

ADD
04-21-2010, 03:48 PM
Some people who smoke are like those you described. Others smoke everyday, multiple times a day, and still hang out with people, pass classes, converse with family, create and absorb music, etc. Most people suck, thusly it should follow that most people who smoke suck.

SomewhereInTime72
04-21-2010, 04:42 PM
I've probably said this on here before, but I don't really have a problem with 'stoners' in the sense of people who smoke a lot of weed; but I do dislike people who try to be 'stoners' to fit into a subculture and just annoyingly talk about it all the time.

fun thing i noticed; it's a lot more fun to listen to 'high' stories by people who aren't regulars/don't fit the stereotypes/etc. than the people who are usually the ones to tell these sorts of stories....:zzz:

DethMaiden
04-21-2010, 04:43 PM
fun thing i noticed; it's a lot more fun to listen to 'high' stories by people who aren't regulars/don't fit the stereotypes/etc. than the people who are usually the ones to tell these sorts of stories....:zzz:

Stories like this?

http://www.theonion.com/articles/stoner-regales-friends-with-tale-of-this-one-bong,1612/

Indestructible
04-21-2010, 04:51 PM
Im fine with pot smokers and im fine with 4/20.

TonyD
04-21-2010, 05:04 PM
Whatever man... :stoned:
Actually, I'm pretty much just a drinker.

idrinkwine732
04-21-2010, 05:11 PM
I don't really like to brag about smoking weed, I don't think it's anything to brag about.

I don't see 4/20 as a day to brag to your other friends about smoking, I see it as a day for those of us who do smoke to all get together and smoke outside of our regular circles.

Chyck
04-21-2010, 05:16 PM
I'd just like to note that I've heard far more people such as yourselves bitching ... and bitching... and bitching... about 4/20 than I have about people actually celebrating it. And I must say, I'm sick and tired of the whining. Ya'll can feel free to get annoyed at people that get in your faces, but ya'll are getting in stoners' faces just as much. I'm of a live-and-let-live perspective, and I just wish everyone from both sides would do the same.

Div
04-21-2010, 05:40 PM
It has little to do with the drug and mostly to do with the type of person you're dealing with to begin with.

this.

id also like to add that alcohol distorts your mind way more than weed does. ive never acted violently or sexually harassed anyone after hitting a blunt.

JRA
04-21-2010, 06:22 PM
I've neva hit a nigga afta hittin da blunt. But I have on occasion hit niggas before I hit the blunt.

:D

ChildrenofSodom
04-21-2010, 06:24 PM
I'd just like to note that I've heard far more people such as yourselves bitching ... and bitching... and bitching... about 4/20 than I have about people actually celebrating it. And I must say, I'm sick and tired of the whining. Ya'll can feel free to get annoyed at people that get in your faces, but ya'll are getting in stoners' faces just as much. I'm of a live-and-let-live perspective, and I just wish everyone from both sides would do the same.

I live on a college campus, mind you, so my exposure to boneheads in general is higher, as well as my exposure to high boneheads.

Another thing I hate is that once my one friend finds out that anyone smokes, he wants to be their friend. "Dude you smoke? Thats so cool!" I don't walk around asking peope if they visit prostitutes or run red lights (illegal things) and hand out high fives, nor do I ask someone to 'hang out some time' once I found out that Red is their favorite kind of Powerade.

....And this isn't something new. I've been thinking about the pot subculture for a while now, this time of year is just a good time to vent, man.

Wizzbang11
04-21-2010, 07:22 PM

I completely agree (well not really the last part so much, but the first 75% certainly.)

Also, you don't see heroin addicts bragging, but you DO see people doing the same, if not more, with alcohol, which as far as I am concerned is worse in every way than marijuana, and there usually aren't hordes of people bitchin come St. Patrick's day. Just sayin.

ChildrenofSodom
04-21-2010, 07:45 PM
I completely agree (well not really the last part so much, but the first 75% certainly.)

Also, you don't see heroin addicts bragging, but you DO see people doing the same, if not more, with alcohol, which as far as I am concerned is worse in every way than marijuana, and there usually aren't hordes of people bitchin come St. Patrick's day. Just sayin.

I actually was bitching on St. Patrick's Day. I think excess is bad no matter what it is. I'm not going to legislate it or walk up and badmouth them, but I certainly will point it out, say I'm annoyed, and say "I'm not going to do that."

That being said, I'm a bit of a hypocrite because I like to drink (not 'get fucked up' or 'party, brah)

mankvill
04-21-2010, 07:57 PM

Stoners are like a 9 on the annoyance scale a few times a year, but people who drink a lot are like a 7 constantly. :flame:

undergroundrage
04-21-2010, 08:01 PM
Stoners are like a 9 on the annoyance scale a few times a year, but people who drink a lot are like a 7 constantly. :flame:

and people at wal-mart are a 10, all day, every day.

Wizzbang11
04-21-2010, 08:09 PM

I'd rather be around high people regardless of the time of year, perhaps annoying, but not belligerent.

DethMaiden
04-21-2010, 08:10 PM
I'd rather be alone than with drunk OR high people.

Which is why I usually am. :lol:

SomewhereInTime72
04-21-2010, 09:02 PM

:forcedsmilethroughtears:

idrinkwine732
04-21-2010, 09:10 PM

You can't tell me you haven't had fun at a high person's expense. That's like a cornerstone to my stuff I find funny pyramid.

DethMaiden
04-21-2010, 09:12 PM
You can't tell me you haven't had fun at a high person's expense. That's like a cornerstone to my stuff I find funny pyramid.

I find being with a high person tedious and generally unimpressive. I've got better things to do with my time.

undergroundrage
04-21-2010, 09:26 PM
I find being with a high person tedious and generally unimpressive. I've got better things to do with my time.

You'd never even know it if I was totally blitzed sitting in a room having a one on one conversation with you. Like I said, it all depends on the person. It's not the drug. Just like anything else in life.

bt11763
04-21-2010, 09:30 PM
i didn't read any of this thread but

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnO5bKvYYMk"

anywho, i don't smoke a lot at all actually, but i enjoy the fuck out of it :stoned:

i could get into the reasons but i just got home from work and i'm tired as hell so meh.

undergroundrage
04-21-2010, 09:46 PM
I will also add that there is nothing like zoning out into a song and having it take you on a crazy ride when you're totally blitzed.

SomewhereInTime72
04-21-2010, 09:52 PM
I do that normally fairly often. :eyes:

DethMaiden
04-21-2010, 09:53 PM
I do that normally fairly often. :eyes:

Normally, or NORMLy? :eyes:

http://www.michiganmedicalmarijuanacertification.com/images/NORML.jpg

rjturtle9
04-21-2010, 09:54 PM
I just recently started smoking marijuana again about 2 weeks ago. I think 4/20 is a stupid holiday but to each his own.

SomewhereInTime72
04-21-2010, 10:15 PM
Normally, or NORMLy? :eyes:

http://www.michiganmedicalmarijuanacertification.com/images/NORML.jpg

i prefer things to be illegal so that i can be one of the cool kids if i do it

Div
04-21-2010, 10:22 PM
i prefer things to be illegal so that i can be one of the cool kids if i do it

http://images.encyclopediadramatica.com/images/5/54/Fuck-yeah-meme-oc.jpg

b_halperin
04-21-2010, 10:42 PM
the way i see it, why do gay people have a day of silence? why do black people get their own month? why do pranksters get april 1? same reason stoners get 420.

ok, i admit that's a horrible example. watevs :stoned:

xStructualDefect
04-21-2010, 10:43 PM
I will also add that there is nothing like zoning out into a song and having it take you on a crazy ride when you're totally blitzed.

this. i've learned to appreciate and like many artists like this, The Beatles and Tool being the main ones.

and like you said it's the person not the drug. usually if they're annoying when high they are most likely annoying in general.

rjturtle9
04-21-2010, 10:52 PM
the way i see it, why do gay people have a day of silence? why do black people get their own month? why do pranksters get april 1? same reason stoners get 420.

:lol:

Maiden33
04-21-2010, 11:00 PM
I'm pretty much with Brad on this one. If you smoke pot? Ok, whatever - as long as you don't do it around me or shove it my face, I won't think less of you. But otherwise, get the fuck away from me please, I have better things to do with my time. I can't stand a lot of "stoners" because much like social-alcoholics (especially in the 18-22 age bracket), they act like they CAN'T have a good time without the substance, and if you DON'T do it, you can't possibly have as much fun as those who do. I'm sorry, my friends are interesting enough that I don't need to have distorted sensory perception to enjoy spending time with them. The same can be said of the music I listen to and enjoying it.

Also, regarding "Well they have days for the awareness of everything":
True, but I am against most of them. I think the only things we should have any days for them are groups or people who have done or are doing a positive thing for the collective public. Anything regarding human rights is perfectly fine with me. I wouldn't care that much about stupid stuff like "4/20" if it was mostly about the push for the legalization/decriminalization of pot, but as it stands, it's just an excuse for hipsters to act more like hipsters who won't shut up.

mankvill
04-21-2010, 11:01 PM

holy shit, dude. :lol: :lol: :lol:

bt11763
04-21-2010, 11:22 PM

+1 for effort.

but i see where you're coming from :eyes:

IrritatedTrout
04-22-2010, 09:41 AM
I've never smoked pot before. I wouldn't mind trying it once but I don't really go out of my way to find it.

Natrlhi
04-22-2010, 10:10 AM
I like to remember the good times I've had, as I recently explained here (http://www.metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=13183&page=4).

That said, to each his or her own. In other words, what Chyck said.

evildeadjedi
04-22-2010, 12:19 PM
I used to smoke heavy in high school yet I still got good grades. After high school I became the occasional smoker since I had actual responsibilities. I have never experienced the "peer pressure" effect to do recreational substances. Basically someone offered something if I wanted to try it fine, if not then more for the other people. Honestly, I didn't really know about "4/20 the holiday" until about five years ago (however I always knew about 4:20 the time to get high). I believe all things should be done in moderation and as long as you stick to that you should normally be fine.

ChildrenofSodom
04-22-2010, 12:33 PM
I do agree that it depends on the person. I just happen to always be around douchebags. I have a theory about bad things happening when you drink (sex, saying bad things, thinking bad thoughts)...Alcohol doesn't create those desires/thoughts/ideas...it just makes it easier for you to do it without feeling bad.

ADD
04-22-2010, 03:15 PM
I have a theory about bad things happening when you drink (sex, saying bad things, thinking bad thoughts)..

:scared:

Div
04-22-2010, 04:45 PM
:scared:

yea, not sure if that was meant as sarcasm or...

ChildrenofSodom
04-22-2010, 04:56 PM
yea, not sure if that was meant as sarcasm or...

People always bitch about how they end up doing something stupid when they're drunk. On campus, for example, girls and some guys complain about having sex with people they dont know when they get drunk.

Fuck you guys, by the way. You're acting like what I'm saying is completely irrational. If it doesn't apply to you, then go on your way. Don't bust my nuts.

Div
04-22-2010, 05:11 PM
but in this short, fleeting time we have on the planet, who can truely say what is "bad" and "good"?

SomewhereInTime72
04-22-2010, 05:44 PM
but in this short, fleeting time we have on the planet, who can truely say what is "bad" and "good"?

me

JRA
04-22-2010, 10:15 PM
I say as long as you don't wake up dead or with a turd on your chest, it's all "good."

Natrlhi
04-22-2010, 11:00 PM
I say as long as you don't wake up ... with a turd on your chest, it's all "good."Usually you pay double for that kind of action, Cotton.

http://www.smokingtree.net/images/dodgeball6.jpg

EDIT: Eat your heart out, B-Rad.

Uncle_Meat1940
04-23-2010, 05:49 PM
I've been smoking pot since I was 11 or 12 years old. I use it both for recreation and to help curb my anxiety.

Here's where I really blow your minds (ready?!?!)

I've be holding a job since I was 15 years old, I write music and practice guitar at least 3 hours a day every day, I graduated high school early, and I was ranked in the top percentile for test scores in my school district.

I'm not just a light smoker either, I'm what you people would consider a stoner/pothead/whatthefuckever. I think I'm cool because I smoke pot just about as much as I think I'm cool for being able to make a sandwich. It's just a hobby of mine and nothing more, I don't impose anything on anybody. I have plenty of friends who don't smoke and they call me to hang out and don't give two jiggles of a jackrabbit's ass if I smoke pot in their presence or am high while I do things with them.

I agree that 4/20 is a stupid holiday, I don't feel a need to take a day to do something I do everyday anyway. I too hate people that brag/think they're cool just because they smoke weed, but I hate people that think they're better than people who smoke just because they don't smoke weed 100,000,000,000,000,000 times more

The thing is, there are lazy people that don't smoke pot, there are forgetful people that don't smoke pot, there are plenty of stupid people that don't smoke pot, and there are annoying people that don't smoke pot. *sarcastic gasp* So don't say you don't like someone because they smoke pot, because it may very well be that you just don't like their personalities/quirks.

Truth is, 99.9% of people are fucking sheep who conform to stereotypes just have a false sense of security and acceptance, the real problem you guys are talking about goes far beyond cannabis use.

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2010, 09:29 PM
:stoned::hippie: Lets just - Maybe I over-reacted.

Maiden33
04-23-2010, 09:37 PM
@ UncleMeat - Fair enough. Doesn't really change how I feel and what I said in my original post here, I've never had my mind made up that potheads are bad people or always stupid/forgetful/etc, I've known many who aren't.

But seriously? Since you were 11 or 12? :eyes:

DethMaiden
04-23-2010, 09:39 PM
But seriously? Since you were 11 or 12? :eyes:

:lol: :lol: Yeah man, I've got an 11 year old brother and I'm pretty sure he doesn't know what marijuana means.

ChildrenofSodom
04-23-2010, 10:06 PM
My Uncle shoots heroin,
my father used to do cocaine,
my mom's used to smoke weed with her friends when i was 8,
smoke weed when i was 12,
sold weed at 14,

Ill Bill for life.

undergroundrage
04-23-2010, 11:15 PM
:lol: :lol: Yeah man, I've got an 11 year old brother and I'm pretty sure he doesn't know what marijuana means.

I'm pretty sure, unless he's been sheltered, he knows. I was by no means a bad kid, but I started experimenting with it at 12-13 and most everyone I knew and went to school with did as well. I know, it seems odd. Being 25 now and having people in the family that are in the 12-13 age group it seems like there is no way these kids are doing it, but then I think back to everything I did when I was that age and they don't seem so innocent anymore.

DethMaiden
04-24-2010, 07:59 AM
I'm pretty sure, unless he's been sheltered, he knows. I was by no means a bad kid, but I started experimenting with it at 12-13 and most everyone I knew and went to school with did as well. I know, it seems odd. Being 25 now and having people in the family that are in the 12-13 age group it seems like there is no way these kids are doing it, but then I think back to everything I did when I was that age and they don't seem so innocent anymore.

11 is pretty damn young, though. He's gonna turn 12 in July and be a sixth grader next fall...there's no fucking way that when I was in sixth grade I knew people who were smoking/drinking/having sex. Sure, I guess I knew what they were because of the D.A.R.E. program, but it wasn't relevant to my life.

undergroundrage
04-24-2010, 08:11 AM
11 is pretty damn young, though. He's gonna turn 12 in July and be a sixth grader next fall...there's no fucking way that when I was in sixth grade I knew people who were smoking/drinking/having sex. Sure, I guess I knew what they were because of the D.A.R.E. program, but it wasn't relevant to my life.

How old are you now? 12 is a bit young, I guess....but 13 is only a year later and that age is not unheard of by any means.

DethMaiden
04-24-2010, 08:15 AM
How old are you now? 12 is a bit young, I guess....but 13 is only a year later and that age is not unheard of by any means.

I'm 19 now. I don't doubt that it happens, but yeah, I guess you can call me sheltered, even though I don't really see it that way.

ravenheart
04-24-2010, 08:20 AM
Well, I didn't even know this "awareness" day existed until last week. It doesn't really exist, lets be honest. It's just something the stoners invented for themselves and it's grown enough that they can use it as an excuse for day.

So yeah, I'm with Jeff, Brad and whoever else said fuck off and die. Seriously, don't even talk to me.

Feel free to call me intolerant. You're right, I am consistently and without exception intolerant of all stupidity, and I don't care ;)

Not that smoking shit is actually that big a problem here.

Spiral_Slave
04-24-2010, 08:34 AM
I never realized how dumb so many people here are.

b_halperin
04-24-2010, 09:12 AM
It's not just a holiday stoners invented so that they could have an excuse to toke. At least that's not the way I view it. I see it as a way to raise awareness to the debate on the legalization of marijuana.

A lot of people, however, who use the holiday just to be douchebags, are ruining what I think should be the main goal of the day.

just my 2 cents

DethMaiden
04-24-2010, 09:14 AM
I think you should be issued a license that allows you to smoke marijuana if and only if you can write a killer riff when you're blazed. :stoned: ;)

undergroundrage
04-24-2010, 09:16 AM
I would like to add that G4 (the gaming/tech network) had 420 something on the bottom of their screen like it was a real holiday and played stoner movies almost all day. Now THAT was annoying to me.

ravenheart
04-24-2010, 09:19 AM
It's not just a holiday stoners invented so that they could have an excuse to toke. At least that's not the way I view it. I see it as a way to raise awareness to the debate on the legalization of marijuana.

Shouldn't be a debate...

Maiden33
04-24-2010, 10:00 AM
I never realized how dumb so many people here are.

1) What took you so long?

2) What exactly are you talking about?

Uncle_Meat1940
04-24-2010, 02:13 PM
Feel free to call me intolerant. You're right, I am consistently and without exception intolerant of all stupidity, and I don't care ;)

I can't even fathom how you can label all the people who smoke pot as stupid and consider yourself to be an intelligent person. By saying that you merely made yourself look like an ignorant cocksucker in my eyes. I'm the same way as you what with the whole zero tolerance policy for stupidity, but people who act like you are in that category for me as well.

ADD
04-24-2010, 07:50 PM
I think you should be issued a license that allows you to smoke marijuana if and only if you can write a killer riff when you're blazed. :stoned: ;)
:lol: I like :D

ravenheart
04-25-2010, 04:25 AM
I can't even fathom how you can label all the people who smoke pot as stupid and consider yourself to be an intelligent person. By saying that you merely made yourself look like an ignorant cocksucker in my eyes. I'm the same way as you what with the whole zero tolerance policy for stupidity, but people who act like you are in that category for me as well.

Well reasoned. Congratulations.

You genuinely can't understand why I have no respect for people who intentionally, knowing the effects and consequences, alter their feelings and perceptions by putting themselves under the influence of some kind of substance? Why they feel the need to FAKE, to themselves or to those around them(mostly to themselves) how they feel and behave? That's not ignorant. People really need to stop throwing that word around in situations where it isn't applicable. I think deciding to put yourself under the influence of anything is a stupid thing to do.

People should be entirely themselves at all times, uninfluenced by anyone or anything, and if they can't or don't want to, for any reason at all, then they have a problem. And that includes the ones who just "do it for fun". Their problem is a less obvious, but no less existent one. No balanced person should need to do it, and no intelligent one should want to.

ChildrenofSodom
04-25-2010, 06:43 AM
What Ravenheart says is what my original intent for this thread was. Smoking pot here and there would be fine, but the existence of a holiday and a subculture and symbols/icons and lingo and all that bullshit is completely unnecessary and juvenile. Frankly, I think it hurts the legalization movement. It becomes an 'Us vs Them' battle of cultures. And someone mentioned earlier that I was being too judgmental and I should just let people be who they are.....Can anyone else besides me and probably Brad and Jeff attest to the phenomenon of a pothead friend relentlessly asking you "Dude, why don't you want to smoke? Why won't you even try it? Its not that bad, bro. You just need to chill and have some fun...just smoke some." That shit gets fucking annoying. If I can respect your decision to smoke your balls off, then you should respect my decision to be a crab and not smoke.

A common argument from the movement is "It grows in the ground, it must be okay." So do poppy seeds, poison ivy, and Venus fly traps but i don't smoke that shit either.

ravenheart
04-25-2010, 06:55 AM
Can anyone else besides me and probably Brad and Jeff attest to the phenomenon of a pothead friend relentlessly asking you "Dude, why don't you want to smoke? Why won't you even try it? Its not that bad, bro. You just need to chill and have some fun...just smoke some." That shit gets fucking annoying.

Yes, at uni. And he tried all those bullshit cliches like "it's safer than alcohol" etc. too.

undergroundrage
04-25-2010, 06:55 AM
Can anyone else besides me and probably Brad and Jeff attest to the phenomenon of a pothead friend relentlessly asking you "Dude, why don't you want to smoke? Why won't you even try it? Its not that bad, bro. You just need to chill and have some fun...just smoke some." That shit gets fucking annoying. If I can respect your decision to smoke your balls off, then you should respect my decision to be a crab and not smoke.

You just need to stop hanging out with douche bags. NONE of my friends have ever pressured me, or anyone else like that. Then again, you are in college, land of the douche bags and the hopeless idiots. (not saying you're one)

ravenheart
04-25-2010, 06:56 AM
You just need to stop hanging out with douche bags.

:lol:

undergroundrage
04-25-2010, 07:16 AM
Well reasoned. Congratulations.

You genuinely can't understand why I have no respect for people who intentionally, knowing the effects and consequences, alter their feelings and perceptions by putting themselves under the influence of some kind of substance? Why they feel the need to FAKE, to themselves or to those around them(mostly to themselves) how they feel and behave? That's not ignorant. People really need to stop throwing that word around in situations where it isn't applicable. I think deciding to put yourself under the influence of anything is a stupid thing to do.

People should be entirely themselves at all times, uninfluenced by anyone or anything, and if they can't or don't want to, for any reason at all, then they have a problem. And that includes the ones who just "do it for fun". Their problem is a less obvious, but no less existent one. No balanced person should need to do it, and no intelligent one should want to.

This logic is just stupid, and I don't even feel like going into why because I don't even know where to start.

As much as you hate people pushing pot on you, I hate people like you who are so ignorantly (there is that word again for you) against it. And you're worse than most because you think people shouldn't be under the influence of anything....which would include natural highs like adrenaline. Other uppers like energy drinks or coffee that millions of people drink just to operate like robots in their day to day lives. And what about prescription drugs that some people need just to function? The person who is sick and needs some nyquil? Oh yeah, I'm sorry, these are all acceptable things, right?...even tho they all alter your mood and actions. You're so fucking stupid and close minded.

Do me a favor, since you think no intelligent person should ever be under the influence of anything. NEVER listen to music again, because 90% of great music was created while the artist was under the influence, this is a fact.

I was never mad in this topic until now.

undergroundrage
04-25-2010, 07:18 AM
You know what makes me more mad? I just realized who I was replying to and you're normally not a total idiot so I don't know where this whole close-minded shit came from.

ravenheart
04-25-2010, 07:54 AM
As much as you don't understand my view, I don't understand yours.

I'm ignoring the presciption drugs bit because clearly that's irrelevant. Of course those are OK. I mean, duh!

Being against the use of any drug is not in the least ignorant or closed minded. Why does no one know what the word ignorant actually means? It means you don't know things you should know. I know what these substance are, I know how they affect people, and I know why they want to take them. So I'm not ignorant. Capiche?

Based on my knowledge of these things I think anyone who, knowing these things too, chooses to still take them, is an idiot.

And I take the point about energy drinks and so forth. But you shouldn't be needing those either. They're temporary chemical fixes to a bigger problem. Fix the fucking problem, not postpone its effects.

None of this is closed minded either. Again, completely incorrect use of the term, and always the one the pro-drug people roll out when someone's against them. That means you refuse to accept something different out of hand, with no research or information. I've looked into these things before forming my view. In doing so, I was willing to accept that they may be a legitimate argument for them. If I wasn't willing to accept that there'd be no point doing the research, would there? I'd just make an opinion anyway and stick to it. And the outcome in my view is that there is no legitimate argument.

I hate anything fake. Absolutely anything. Fake tans, drum machines (whose only use is for scratch demos), "recreational" drugs, I hate people pretending to be something they're not, I hate false pleasentries. You name it. If it's not genuine it's not for me. And the way people behave and feel under the influence of drugs is fake. You CANNOT argue that. Their entire point is to create a false feeling, a false perception.

I agree with what you said a page or two ago about how assholes on drugs are normally still assholes off them. Absolutely. What I'm saying is if you need that fake "high" to do whatever it is you're wanting to do. Get through something, enjoy something, enhance something, whatever. It's still fake and you're not tackling the real issue.

If you need it to be better at something, get fucking better at it. If it's sport or music, train harder, practice more. If it's some personal emotional problem or event, getting high won't fix it. It'll be there when you come down again, and then what? If you don't enjoy the people you're with or the event you're at without getting high, go somewhere else and find better people to be with.

Even something as apparently simple and innocuous and sitting with some good buddies smoking to feel good. Why do you need to do that? What's wrong with you all that you aren't already enjoying yourselves together enough? It may seem like just another recreational thing to do, like playing a video game or spinning an album, but is it? Or is it helping you create a feeling that really isn't there? And if it's not there, why not? Fix it, don't masque it.

That's how I see it. I normally don't wade into these length arguments because frankly I just don't care what other people's views are on things I've informed myself about and made my mind up on, but I object immediately to being called an idiot when so far I've articulated my entirely valid views perfectly well enough.

I'm interested in whether you agree. It's clear that you don't. But it irritates me that you can't take another view on board. Is it just because I used the word "stupid"? If I'd just said I'm against it, here's why, and not called people idiots, it would have been cool? Shame. I'm bored now. This is getting dumb.

Please note the use of "you" throughout the above is the royal version.

ChildrenofSodom
04-25-2010, 08:02 AM
Learning, or I guess realizing, that alot of music and art and poetry was the result of drug use hurt my feelings a little bit. I mean, we hold up these things are wonderful creations of an inventive, imaginative mind...the pinacle of human creativity....but they aren't. I think that cheapens art for me. I'm not sure why, and maybe someone can make a comment that changes my mind....but it would seem like you could throw a hundred monkeys in a room with guitars, drums, a bass, a few microphones, some LSD, pot, and whiskey, and they would eventually re-create Mastodon's discography.

ravenheart
04-25-2010, 08:07 AM
I know what you mean entirely. Although I don't think it's quite as true as people make out. It certainly isn't now. Far more musicians do their thing clean now than back in the '60s and '70s.

But I also don't think it quite has the effect people think either. I mean, take your friends who do whatever drug, when they do, do they seem capable of creating anything more to you than they normally would? I think the ones who created great music/art/poetry etc. on something could have done without, and it was all about confidence.

That's for sure why people like Alice Cooper and Ace Frehley used to get hammered before every show.

Which goes back to my point, they should really have fixed the confidence issue, not tried to suppress it long enough to get by.

I am bored of this thread now, though. There's not enough of this kind of rational view-giving going on. I'm out; I've wasted enough of my time arguing. Do carry on without me ;)

undergroundrage
04-25-2010, 08:28 AM
I'm ignoring the presciption drugs bit because clearly that's irrelevant. Of course those are OK. I mean, duh!

Actually, they are worse in most cases. Far more addictive and harmful.

I agree with what you said a page or two ago about how assholes on drugs are normally still assholes off them. Absolutely. What I'm saying is if you need that fake "high" to do whatever it is you're wanting to do. Get through something, enjoy something, enhance something, whatever. It's still fake and you're not tackling the real issue.

(Everything in between these quotes I will just agree to totally disagree 100% with you and leave it at that.)

So what would be the real issue in the case of someone who is just doing it to enjoy things more? When there is no real issue and it's just used to enhance things? That's all I ever did it for. It's not that any of the things I was doing were boring or than I couldn't enjoy them being sober, but being under the influence just made it ten times better, and I have never been one to throw it up in peoples faces how fucked up I may or may not be.

Even something as apparently simple and innocuous and sitting with some good buddies smoking to feel good. Why do you need to do that? What's wrong with you all that you aren't already enjoying yourselves together enough? It may seem like just another recreational thing to do, like playing a video game or spinning an album, but is it? Or is it helping you create a feeling that really isn't there? And if it's not there, why not? Fix it, don't masque it.

I would say the feeling is there always, the drugs just make you more open to understanding what that feeling is. Some say we only use 10% of our brain, so what's the other 90% doing and who are you to say that the drugs aren't opening your mind up to that?

The rest of your reply I'm not really going to comment on, because I'm agreeing to disagree, as I said before. And it's not that I wouldn't consider your idea, or whatever, it's that I think the idea is totally close-minded and reminds me of mormon views or something and I think they too are ignorant people, but that's another subject.

undergroundrage
04-25-2010, 08:31 AM
I know what you mean entirely. Although I don't think it's quite as true as people make out. It certainly isn't now. Far more musicians do their thing clean now than back in the '60s and '70s.

Not in the type of music we talk about on this forum...

But I also don't think it quite has the effect people think either. I mean, take your friends who do whatever drug, when they do, do they seem capable of creating anything more to you than they normally would? I think the ones who created great music/art/poetry etc. on something could have done without, and it was all about confidence.

Could of? Maybe. This all, once again, depends on the person. If they are lazy, then of course the drug isn't going to do shit. If they are motivated people, then the drug opens up their mind to being more creative. That's from my experience anyway...

Uncle_Meat1940
04-25-2010, 10:25 AM
I dont even know where to begin with all the IGNORANT (using that in by your definition as well), hypocritical, drivel that this guy is spewing out. I'm not even gonna touch this thing anymore, obviously undergroundrage is the only guy here that has actually done more research on this topic than looking at government reports from the 1050s and 60s.

ChildrenofSodom
04-25-2010, 10:40 AM
I dont even know where to begin with all the IGNORANT (using that in by your definition as well), hypocritical, drivel that this guy is spewing out. I'm not even gonna touch this thing anymore, obviously undergroundrage is the only guy here that has actually done more research on this topic than looking at government reports from the 1050s and 60s.

Are you high? You're a moron, sorry. You're still using 'ignorant' incorrectly. I think you may be ignorant of your own ignorance. And which government report from the 1050s would that be? Edmund the Old's ascension to the Swedish throne? Get real, dude. Is 'more research' code for 'smoked more drugs'?

Uncle_Meat1940
04-25-2010, 10:47 AM
Right back at ya buddy.

I'm talking about all the "studies" that the gov't did on cannabis during that time that are still used as their (and many others) facts about cannabis.

I meant to say 1950s and 60s though. You should have been able to piece that together though considering that we weren't even on the map in 1050. Yes, of course more research is code for "smoked more drugs", what else could it mean? :tp:

evildeadjedi
04-25-2010, 10:51 AM

So does this include the use of pot medically?

Uncle_Meat1940
04-25-2010, 10:53 AM
Of course not, cause that would be "fake" :tp:

He's probably only talking about reputable scripts like Vicoden, Oxycontin, Percocet, and others. :tp:

undergroundrage
04-25-2010, 11:15 AM
He's probably only talking about reputable scripts like Vicoden, Oxycontin, Percocet, and others. :tp:

Yeah, we all know those are perfectly harmless. Especially that Oxy...aka synthetic heroin (basically)

b_halperin
04-25-2010, 11:16 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWl22VyUmvU

Uncle_Meat1940
04-25-2010, 11:27 AM
The definitions of "Ignorant"

1. Destitute of knowledge; uninstructed or uninformed; untaught; unenlightened. [1913 Webster]

He that doth not know those things which are of use for him to know, is but an ignorant man, whatever he may know besides. --Tillotson. [1913 Webster]

2. Unacquainted with; unconscious or unaware; -- used with of. [1913 Webster]

Ignorant of guilt, I fear not shame. --Dryden. [1913 Webster]

3. Unknown; undiscovered. [Obs.]

[1913 Webster]

Ignorant concealment. --Shak. [1913 Webster]

Alas, what ignorant sin have I committed? --Shak. [1913 Webster]

4. Resulting from ignorance; foolish; silly. [1913 Webster]

His shipping, Poor ignorant baubles! -- on our terrible seas, Like eggshells moved. --Shak.

Pretty sure I've been using that word in context. :finger:

SomewhereInTime72
04-25-2010, 11:36 AM
Wanted to stay out of the shitstorm, but what the hey
And the way people behave and feel under the influence of drugs is fake. You CANNOT argue that. Their entire point is to create a false feeling, a false perception.

LOL. I guess I CANNOT argue that I've never behaved or felt 'fake' under the influence of drugs. When I'm high, I do the exact same things with my friends that I do normally. Though the appreciation I have for things gets increased a bit, I still feel happy hanging out with my friends, and doing things that normally make me happy. Nothing about what I like doing changes; talking to people while playing Geometry Wars or something is still gonna be fun, and sitting around doing nothing is still going to be boring.

But I guess those feelings and behaviors are all fake even though they're the same as my normal feelings and behaviors. I guess my perception is false, because those things that make me happy while I'm high, would obviously leave me upset if I did them sober. Because no one would ever do any drugs if they didn't have issues they were covering up for.

Smoking weed never creates new feelings. It merely boosts or dampens things that are already there (just like alcohol! except that one pretty much just boosts). For example: if you're sitting around with your friends, playing some album and smoking, chances are you'll find yourself enjoying the time slightly more than you normally would. If you were doing absolutely nothing, it would probably make you a little less impatient about it. I fail to see what about that is "fake." If you were just hanging out with friends and doing nothing, you could still be happy from the presence of your friends. But putting on some good music to listen to in the background would enhance that feeling, would it not? But I guess music isn't fake because you can't smoke it. (i mean you can't even hold it)

That's how I see it. I normally don't wade into these length arguments because frankly I just don't care what other people's views are on things I've informed myself about and made my mind up on, but I object immediately to being called an idiot when so far I've articulated* my entirely valid** views perfectly well enough.
You sure you did it in that order?

Also:
*Yes, you certainly did.
**No, they certainly are not.

Trying to say you understand the reasons for, motivations for, and effects of something you don't do or deal with is just nonsensical. What you've done is the same as trying to tell someone with severe depression that you know how they feel and understand their position, while never actually having felt that way before yourself. The same as when people who only listen to pop music tell you that metal is all just screaming.

I cannot make any truthful statement about anything of the motivations and effects of cocaine. It would be contrived, and a lie. Fake; as you would say. I cannot possible claim to know anything about that, since it's not something I do. The only thing I can truthfully state is that it's not something I'm interested in. I mean, I won't put down on things I have no grasp on, to make myself seem 'above' it. I already think of myself as better than people, so I don't need to resort to something so "fake" to feel that way. ;)

DethMaiden
04-25-2010, 11:39 AM
I don't have a long drawn-out explanation for why I don't care to do drugs. I'm just really not that interested. I appreciate the music, movies, books, and art they've given us, and I pay them back by not wasting any on myself. :D

Maiden33
04-25-2010, 11:40 AM
What I'm saying is if you need that fake "high" to do whatever it is you're wanting to do. Get through something, enjoy something, enhance something, whatever. It's still fake and you're not tackling the real issue.

If you need it to be better at something, get fucking better at it. If it's sport or music, train harder, practice more. If it's some personal emotional problem or event, getting high won't fix it. It'll be there when you come down again, and then what? If you don't enjoy the people you're with or the event you're at without getting high, go somewhere else and find better people to be with.

100% Agree with everything here.

SomewhereInTime72
04-25-2010, 11:46 AM
@Music blah blah would never be there without drugs blah blah because musicians were high etc.

As someone who has written music extensively under both conditions, I would not really put that much weight into this at all. I don't know about anyone else, but for me it's never anything like "LOL OMG IM SO HIGH *shits a riff*, *repeat until song is written*" The only difference I've noticed during the process of writing is that when high I'm more likely to finish the process in one go, whereas normally it would take me a few days to piece together all of my ideas, because I would get more frustrated and tired of something if I spent too long on it. End-product wise, there's no real difference in any of my compositions.

With the exception of songs directly inspired by drugs, I would say it's safe to say that the same musicians would still have had similar ideas.

Uncle_Meat1940
04-25-2010, 11:56 AM
I'm so glad you decided to join somewhereintime. I was beginning to think I was the only one who understands. :)

Chyck
04-25-2010, 12:07 PM
Overall, the argument that ravenheart made at 10:54 AM is logical and exactly what I believed before I started smoking. However, some of his points make me sad :(

I know what these substance are, I know how they affect people, and I know why they want to take them. So I'm not ignorant. Capiche?

Some of peoples' irritation may stem from the fact that you have not mentioned if you tried recreational drugs at some point (and if you did, I apologize as I missed it). There is a significant difference between knowing how drugs affect people and knowing how they affect you, specifically. Having that first-person experience moves you from the realm of judgmental into the realm of knowledgeable, in my opinion.

I am not, of course, advocating that you go get high to prove a point. I'm merely theorizing why the word ignorant is getting thrown around so much.

It is difficult for those of us that enjoy cannabis to fathom why someone else wouldn't, which is probably why Cameron and Brad's friends harass them. While they should respect your boundaries, college aged people aren't always tactful nor do all of them have the life experience to know tact is useful. Honestly, the best path in this situation might be to find friends who won't pressure you like that. No one should have to feel like that amongst their peers.

Based on my knowledge of these things I think anyone who, knowing these things too, chooses to still take them, is an idiot.

This sentence probably hurts me more than anything on this thread, because I now know that I can never have a conversation with you without you thinking I am a fool. That really sucks, because I've been looking forward to hearing Exhibit B for months now and talking to you about it when I finally get to experience it in its entirety.

One fact about a person does not a personality make. I would hope that smoking weed wouldn't immediately make you write someone off.

Example of my own prejudice: While trying to warn some very small kids out of the pit yesterday, I noticed a man with the largest White Chapel tattoo I'd ever seen. I despise White Chapel, and (single fact) think their fans are assholes. However, I tend to be pretty non-confrontational in person and so said nothing. 20 minutes later the pit got nasty, and said White Chapel fan threw himself behind the kids to protect them, then helped me convince them to go to a safer place. When I thanked him in the kids' stead, he just shrugged and said that someone had to do it. (Personality) White Chapel fan was a tough but caring individual. I was wrong. He wasn't an asshole.

Yes, that was a bit of a tangent, but I'm just trying to say don't write someone off due to one facet of their personality and life.

Even something as apparently simple and innocuous and sitting with some good buddies smoking to feel good. Why do you need to do that? What's wrong with you all that you aren't already enjoying yourselves together enough?

All I can say in response to this is that it's enjoyable on occasion, and I don't believe that there's anything wrong with it as long as it doesn't hurt anyone. Yes, I know it hurts my lungs, but going to shows hurts my hearing. Living kills :tongue:

Also, as a general point, some of us that enjoy cannabis really do use cannabis because it's fun and feels good, and not as the compensating tool that you believe. This is probably a point that we're not going to resolve.

mankvill
04-25-2010, 12:20 PM
http://img39.imageshack.us/img39/1852/1268804286167.png