PDA

View Full Version : Iced Earth NA dates

IrritatedTrout
04-21-2010, 07:43 AM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=138886

Sep. 10 - Washington DC - 9:30 Club
Sep. 21 - Chicago IL - House of Blues
Sep. 23 - New York NY - Nokia Theater Times Square
Sep. 25 - West Hollywood CA - House of Blues

I'll probably be at the DC show.

Derelict
04-21-2010, 07:46 AM
Annoying. And they are selling VIP tickets for this.

Derelict
04-21-2010, 07:47 AM
Also, this might be the most pretentious thing I've read in a long long time

"While ICED EARTH's 1998 album "Something Wicked This Way Comes" provided a general overview of the story guitarist/songwriter Jon Schaffer has been conceptualizing for well over a decade, the saga was fully brought to life with the release of the back-to-back conceptual albums "Framing Armageddon" and "The Crucible of Man". The albums provided answers to mysteries the previous releases created, and the timeliness of the story in today's world were guaranteed to keep people thinking and guessing. Schaffer's ability to convey the central themes and events of the story without always revealing exactly "why" characters' decisions are made and "how" events come to pass will keep fans of the saga coming back as future mediums for the "Something Wicked" storyline are revealed. "

The Green and Black
04-21-2010, 08:10 AM
Not sure I understand the problem here?

JuuKun
04-21-2010, 09:00 AM
The NYC show is on a Thursday...Not likely, but maybe.

ChildrenofSodom
04-21-2010, 09:39 AM
For having such a huge America boner, Jon sure doesn't like to travel very extensively.

Is Son of Liberty busy touring with Sarah Palin, or what?

mankvill
04-21-2010, 10:59 AM
Glad I got to see them when I did.

Maiden33
04-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Would like to go, but it's in NYC less than 2 weeks after I come back from ProgPower in Atlanta - so not likely. Also - fuck Sons of liberty.

Still, it's a thought. If there's enough interest among my friends, maybe.

Derelict
04-21-2010, 11:04 AM
Not sure I understand the problem here?

An active American band doing a 4 date US tour. They aren't a destination band, or a festival, get over yourselves.

makethemsuffer12
04-21-2010, 11:45 AM
WHY A FUCKING THURSDAY????!!!!!!

Maiden33
04-21-2010, 11:54 AM
Unless you would either have to road trip or have a job that would fire you for missing a day, I don't really see how day-of-the-week really plays heavily into a decision to go to a show. I went to tons of shows all throughout high school. More often than not I would actually cut school the day OF the show, so I could make the hour or two drive and then wait in line and such, and then just get home late and tough it out the next day. With all the days I missed, I still got through school more than fine. And yeah, if you have a job that you can either request off for (like mine, as long as I have a few weeks notice), or call in sick once in a while, it's not a big problem.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
04-21-2010, 11:58 AM
Fuck all these bands that play 2-4 dates on each coast and have the nerve to call it a "tour".

Except for Fates Warning who never tour anyway. At least they are coming to Texas.

The Green and Black
04-21-2010, 12:07 PM
Unless you would either have to road trip or have a job that would fire you for missing a day, I don't really see how day-of-the-week really plays heavily into a decision to go to a show. I went to tons of shows all throughout high school. More often than not I would actually cut school the day OF the show, so I could make the hour or two drive and then wait in line and such, and then just get home late and tough it out the next day. With all the days I missed, I still got through school more than fine. And yeah, if you have a job that you can either request off for (like mine, as long as I have a few weeks notice), or call in sick once in a while, it's not a big problem.

Yeah, I don't get it either. I went to 5 shows in the course of one week earlier this month, and didn't miss a day or work. Two shows were back to back. But when I went to Scranton for Megadeth in March, I planned ahead and I took two days off. :confused: When Strat and Pagan's Mind played Nokia in NY, one of my friends texted me the day of the show and asked if I wanted to go, he picked me up after work and we headed to NYC, didn't get home until maybe 3am, was back at work the next morning, but that's just me.

Derelict
04-21-2010, 12:07 PM

I'm with you on that one man

makethemsuffer12
04-21-2010, 12:13 PM

Did it even cross your mind that some people might not be allowed to go to shows on a school night? If it were up to me I'd go to every show I can, but unfortunately that isn't the case.

Sanitarium78
04-21-2010, 12:26 PM
Also, this might be the most pretentious thing I've read in a long long time

"While ICED EARTH's 1998 album "Something Wicked This Way Comes" provided a general overview of the story guitarist/songwriter Jon Schaffer has been conceptualizing for well over a decade, the saga was fully brought to life with the release of the back-to-back conceptual albums "Framing Armageddon" and "The Crucible of Man". The albums provided answers to mysteries the previous releases created, and the timeliness of the story in today's world were guaranteed to keep people thinking and guessing. Schaffer's ability to convey the central themes and events of the story without always revealing exactly "why" characters' decisions are made and "how" events come to pass will keep fans of the saga coming back as future mediums for the "Something Wicked" storyline are revealed. "

I actually liked the last two albums but what I never got is what mystery did the original Something Wicked Trilogy leave to be revealed? The story always seemed pretty straight forward to me and didn't need any elaborating at all. But maybe that was just me. I don't recall other fans wanting to know more about it at all:confused: Oh, well.

None of these shows are near me so I won't be seeing any of them. Hopefully they can do a full tour and get somewhere close by. Now, on to the whole "what day of the week it's on" debate I personally don't see the problem. If you have to get off for work odds are you can just ask for it off or switch a shift (if that's possible at your job) with another worker. As for having school the next day, I went to shows during high school and you just have to make the best of it the next day if you're tired. It might suck a little but it won't be that bad. In high school my parents were cool enough to come up with a bullshit excuse to tell the school that morning if they knew I was gonna be late coming in because of a show the previous night:) If you're in college and you have an early class the following day you can skip it, it's not like they give a shit if you show up or not anyways. There really are simple solutions here. Don't make the situation more complicated than it really is.

makethemsuffer12
04-21-2010, 12:31 PM
In high school my parents were cool enough to come up with a bullshit excuse to tell the school that morning if they knew I was gonna be late coming in because of a show the previous night:)

Unfortunately not my situation.

Sanitarium78
04-21-2010, 12:42 PM
Unfortunately not my situation.

Try talking to them now about it and work something out. If you let them know well enough in advance and come up with a plan it might work. My parents were fine with me going somewhere on a school night as long as they knew where I was and when I'd be back. The consequences of the next day were all on me and they knew that I understood that, so they never had a problem with it.

JuuKun
04-21-2010, 12:43 PM
An active American band doing a 4 date US tour. They aren't a destination band, or a festival, get over yourselves.

Well, it's meant to be a few dates to get out of the studio, and I'm pretty sure Matt's still a cop, or firefighter, or whatever he is. I'm sure that factors into how much they can tour.

@Maiden33: Day of the week really only effects me because it's almost a 4 hour drive to NYC from here. Not far to go on a weeknight for any of my favorite bands, but I'm not entirely sure I would count IE among my favorites. I definitely want to see them, and I honestly feel like they've only got an album or two left in them, so this sort of 'Greatest Hits' set they mentioned would be the ideal time to see them. Starting college in September, so it really depends on how my schedule works out.

makethemsuffer12
04-21-2010, 12:51 PM
Try talking to them now about it and work something out. If you let them know well enough in advance and come up with a plan it might work. My parents were fine with me going somewhere on a school night as long as they knew where I was and when I'd be back. The consequences of the next day were all on me and they knew that I understood that, so they never had a problem with it.

I've tried, but to no avail. The main thing with my mom is that she has to get up early for work, and she can't fall asleep without me being home. And I'm not doing particularly great in school, which doesn't exactly help my situation.

It just really pisses me off sometimes. I've missed so many great shows because of this (Bodom/Testament, Opeth 20th anniversary, Behemoth/Devildriver, Iced Earth on their last tour, and many others).

Sanitarium78
04-21-2010, 01:16 PM
I've tried, but to no avail. The main thing with my mom is that she has to get up early for work, and she can't fall asleep without me being home. And I'm not doing particularly great in school, which doesn't exactly help my situation.

It just really pisses me off sometimes. I've missed so many great shows because of this (Bodom/Testament, Opeth 20th anniversary, Behemoth/Devildriver, Iced Earth on their last tour, and many others).

To be honest this won't be the only time in your life you'll be missing a lot of good shows. Once you get out on your own money is gonna be tight for awhile and you'll miss a lot of shit for a few years there. Not to mention if you wanna get married and have kids that'll put a monkey wrench in things as well. But somewhere along the way your money situation will improve and going to more shows is possible it might take some time though. My first metal show was in 1992 and i've gone to plenty since then but have missed many more than that. There's always something that can prevent you from seeing a show no matter how old you are. You just gotta become more particular about who you see and who you don't. It will suck to miss some good ones but it's part of life and something you can't always avoid unfortunately.

The Green and Black
04-21-2010, 01:17 PM

Sorry you are having such a hard time. :(

When I was in school my dad would drop me off and pick me up from shows. Sometimes he would even go to the shows with me.

The Green and Black
04-21-2010, 01:21 PM
Not to mention if you wanna get married and have kids that'll put a monkey wrench in things as well.

Marriage and kids ruin everything. Run away!

Natrlhi
04-21-2010, 01:24 PM
Marriage and kids ruin everything.

:agree: This woman speaketh the truth (although I would substitute the word "change" for the word "ruin" :D).

However, oddly, I wouldn't have things any other way. :fist:

Sanitarium78
04-21-2010, 01:27 PM
Sorry you are having such a hard time. :(

When I was in school my dad would drop me off and pick me up from shows. Sometimes he would even go to the shows with me.

My dad was like that to. He grew up with the rock of the 60s and 70s and didn't mind taking my older brother and me to shows before we had our own cars. He looked a little out of place sometimes but he always enjoyed the concert experiences. Most people if they noticed him thought it was cool that some guy in his early 40s was at a metal show:rocker: That's not to uncommon to see that at some metal shows now but back in the early to mid 90s it deffinately was.

The Green and Black
04-21-2010, 01:41 PM
My dad was like that to. He grew up with the rock of the 60s and 70s and didn't mind taking my older brother and me to shows before we had our own cars. He looked a little out of place sometimes but he always enjoyed the concert experiences. Most people if they noticed him thought it was cool that some guy in his early 40s was at a metal show:rocker: That's not to uncommon to see that at some metal shows now but back in the early to mid 90s it deffinately was.

Agreed! Shows seem to be overflowing with kids and parents these days. I often wonder how many of them (the parents) are actually into it!

makethemsuffer12
04-21-2010, 01:57 PM
My dad is cool, it's my mom that really restricts me. And considering my parents are divorced and I live with my mom, it makes pretty much no difference.

Blackened12
04-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Never thought I'd get to see these guys:D
Fell in love with this band after hearing The Coming Curse.

ravenheart
04-28-2010, 10:24 AM
These dates are definitely it until a new album.

Iced Earth have just re-signed to Century Media and these dates are four special "Escape From The Studio" shows.

Schaffer has also signed his Sons of Liberty Project of Ultimate Gayness to CM.