PDA

View Full Version : Concert Regrets

mankvill
04-18-2010, 04:02 PM
No, not that thread again.

Do you regret going to a certain concert? For whatever reason.

My closest to being a regret was when I went to a JFAC show to see Hate Eternal. If they weren't so spot on and had a really awesome set, it would've crushed me at how terrible the experience was.

You?

Wizzbang11
04-18-2010, 04:04 PM
Besides local shows, I wouldn't say I have regretted any.

However, Viva La Bands and Slaughter by the Water were not good concerts, and in both cases I would probably have regretted going to them had it not been for 1 band in each instance (GWAR/Toxic Holocaust)

DethMaiden
04-18-2010, 04:05 PM
Slave to the System in Columbus has to be the top of the list. I went to see them mainly because Scott Rockenfield (Queensryche) was their drummer and I wanted to see him up close in an intimate venue and meet him afterwards. He didn't show, they had some random local fill in. They were also pretty terrible live.

TonyD
04-18-2010, 06:39 PM
Besides local shows, I wouldn't say I have regretted any.

However, Viva La Bands and Slaughter by the Water were not good concerts, and in both cases I would probably have regretted going to them had it not been for 1 band in each instance (GWAR/Toxic Holocaust)

I'm glad I didn't show for that one. I actually went to Viva La Bands for CKY and Gwar, it wasn't too bad but the opener sucked major balls and CKY only played for 30 mins.

MPF
04-18-2010, 07:08 PM
Besides shows with my band playing with some shitty Deathcore bands, I can't say there has been a concert I ever regretted going to.

mastodon421
04-19-2010, 04:12 AM
I really dont have any regrets. The closet thing I have to a regret was Thrash and Burn last year.

bt11763
04-19-2010, 11:22 AM
I'm glad I didn't show for that one. I actually went to Viva La Bands for CKY and Gwar, it wasn't too bad but the opener sucked major balls and CKY only played for 30 mins.

my date didn't have cky because they had to drop off, but i had a great time at that show, GWAR was really good that night they had a great set.

and i like Cradle of Filth, so that helped too.

i don't have any reral regrets, except for the first "metal" show i tried to go to was on the water the day of a hurricane, which would ahve been crazy if the stage wasn''t undewater by the end and they had to cancel.

Maiden33
04-19-2010, 11:28 AM
Dragonforce @ The Trocadero - May 2006. Only headlining show I ever paid to see the headliner and walked out on them.

mankvill
04-19-2010, 11:32 AM
Dragonforce @ The Trocadero - May 2006. Only headlining show I ever paid to see the headliner and walked out on them.

:flame:

bt11763
04-19-2010, 11:35 AM
:flame:

dragonforce really does suck d00d

Derelict
04-19-2010, 11:55 AM

Hm, that reminds me, I walked out on Testament in either 99 or 2000 at the (RIP) Birch Hill in Jersey. They were so drunk they could barely play. Night was salvaged because the Haunted opened, met all of them, got the members that were in At the Gates to sign Slaughter of the Soul for me, and they covered Blinded by Fear.

mankvill
04-19-2010, 12:00 PM
dragonforce really does suck d00d

:tongue: they put on one of the best performances I've seen last year.

DethMaiden
04-19-2010, 12:01 PM

I can attest to that. They're not a good band, and I rarely listen to them at home, but they are fucking FUN live.

Maiden33
04-19-2010, 12:15 PM
I can attest to that. They're not a good band, and I rarely listen to them at home, but they are fucking FUN live.

I just didn't find them that fun... I just found them... dumb, actually kind of embarrassing - not aided by their incredible sloppiness.

bt11763
04-19-2010, 12:37 PM

ehhhhhhhh well i didn't hate them live, but their performance was certainly marred by the fact that for some reason i chose to stay and watch them instead of machine head (mayhem 08). THAT i most certainly regret.

Hm, that reminds me, I walked out on Testament in either 99 or 2000 at the (RIP) Birch Hill in Jersey. They were so drunk they could barely play. Night was salvaged because the Haunted opened, met all of them, got the members that were in At the Gates to sign Slaughter of the Soul for me, and they covered Blinded by Fear.

that's crazy.

mankvill
04-19-2010, 12:49 PM
I listen to them often at home (one of the few power metal bands I enjoy regularly) and I've heard that their live show has gotten better as of late, but yeah, I understand why people don't like them.

makethemsuffer12
04-19-2010, 01:53 PM
ehhhhhhhh well i didn't hate them live, but their performance was certainly marred by the fact that for some reason i chose to stay and watch them instead of machine head (mayhem 08). THAT i most certainly regret.

Ouch. MH played a killer set that day.

Chyck
04-19-2010, 02:01 PM
I listen to them often at home (one of the few power metal bands I enjoy regularly) and I've heard that their live show has gotten better as of late, but yeah, I understand why people don't like them.

I continue to be completely embarrassed by the fact that I listen to them. They're just so cheesy. They performed very well when I saw them live (no discernible screw-ups whatsoever), but the crowd sucked. Not sure if I'd see them again.

mastodon421
04-19-2010, 02:18 PM
I hate Dragonforce and when I saw them they were really bad. Granted I only saw the last 3 songs due to meeting Mastodon and watching Machine Head but I just really can't stand them.

The Green and Black
04-19-2010, 02:19 PM
If you guys find Dragonforce embarassing, you must hate Powerglove! :lol:

bt11763
04-19-2010, 02:25 PM
Ouch. MH played a killer set that day.

ugh yeah that was like two weeks before i got like fully into them, i hate myself for that decision. i was mostly worried about not making it back on the floor, because i didn't realize that they were letting everyone come and go.

If you guys find Dragonforce embarassing, you must hate Powerglove! :lol:

haha no way powerglove fucking rules!

undergroundrage
04-19-2010, 04:09 PM
I once bought a ticket to see Lamb of God, Machine Head, Trivium & Gojira...and ended up NOT going for stupid reasons. I heard it was a killer show.

I also regret only going to the Tampa TOOL show back in 07. It was such am amazing show and I could of went the very next night (or the night before?) to the Orlando show, but I didn't. Oh well...

IrritatedTrout
04-20-2010, 08:29 AM
Meshuggah / Cynic 09 @ Recher Theater, Towson, MD - Cynic was underwhelming and Meshuggah was boring. Walked out halfway through their set. The venue, drive, staff, and everything else sucked hard too.

Wino 09 @ 9:30 Club, Washington DC - No Vitus tunes, skipped the one truly great song off his solo record, his solo's were mostly just a bunch of noise, zero crowd interaction.

Only two I've ever regretted.

Natrlhi
04-20-2010, 08:39 AM
Meshuggah / Cynic 09 @ Recher Theater, Towson, MD - Cynic was underwhelming and Meshuggah was boring. Walked out halfway through their set. The venue, drive, staff, and everything else sucked hard too.I can see why you might say Cynic was underwhelming - I like them a lot, and I felt the same way when I saw them on this tour - but how anyone could call Meshuggah "boring" is beyond me. Not your cup of tea? Perhaps, but "boring"? Really? That's like calling a tornado or a tsunami "boring"...? :confused:

This puzzle me. I confuse.

IrritatedTrout
04-20-2010, 08:43 AM
They all just stood there. Not even the frontman moved. Hell, most of the crowd seemed bored too because even though it was sold out hardly anyone was moshing or even being loud. The frontman commented a few times that he saw a lot of people but didn't hear a lot of people.

Oh, and Cynic were fantastic a few months later when I saw them headline. Don't want to sell them short with the above post.

Natrlhi
04-20-2010, 08:48 AM
They all just stood there. Not even the frontman moved. Hell, most of the crowd seemed bored too because even though it was sold out hardly anyone was moshing or even being loud. The frontman commented a few times that he saw a lot of people but didn't hear a lot of people.

Oh, and Cynic were fantastic a few months later when I saw them headline. Don't want to sell them short with the above post.
Well that clarifies some things. Yeah, Meshuiggah is notorious for standing on one place while they play, but any time I've seen them, they do bang theirs heads a whole lot. Also, Jens (the vocalist) is more active than the rest, but he doesn't exactly run around the stage, either. My guess is that the crowd wasn't feeling them, so they had no energy to feed from, and hence put on a slightly low energy show (compared to what they might have done if the crowd were totally amped to be hearing them play). I'm still a bit confused, as they would have been the headliner, so why wouldn't the crowd have been into them? Oh well - they've knocked my fucking socks off the two times I've seen 'em, and I can't wait to go again. I was just watching their "Alive" DVD the other day, and it made me feel all nostalgic and shit. :D

Cynicist
04-20-2010, 09:23 AM
haha no way powerglove fucking rules!

seriously?

How in the world can anyone take Powerglove seriously. :lol: I mean, they were novel online...but good grief, after seeing them live...I never want to see or hear them again.

and wtf is up with throwing out starburst?