PDA

View Full Version : So Peter Steele might be dead...

Jochen
04-14-2010, 10:27 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=138511

"TYPE O NEGATIVE frontman Peter Steele is rumored to have died of heart failure earlier today (Wednesday, April 14).

Mistress Juliya of Fuse TV wrote on her Twitter page earlier tonight that she spoke to TYPE O NEGATIVE guitarist Kenny Hickey just before midnight New York time, and that Kenny confirmed that the rumors were true.

Revolver magazine's editor-in-chief Brandon Geist also posted on Twitter that he has heard reports of Steele's passing. "Hoping [the rumors] are not true, but the source is good," he wrote.

It should be noted that there ***has been no official statement*** released by TYPE O NEGATIVE or the band's management corroborating these reports.

Steele was born Petrus T. Ratajczyk on January 4, 1962 in Brooklyn, New York. He stood 6' 7" (201 cm) tall, and had a low, bass-heavy voice, which was one of the most recognizable features in TYPE O NEGATIVE's music.

Before forming TYPE O NEGATIVE, Steele played for the metal group FALLOUT and the thrash band CARNIVORE."

and the entire Type O Negative forum is currently locked.

I hope this isn't true.

bt11763
04-14-2010, 10:28 PM
i don't think i can handle this being true.

Wizzbang11
04-14-2010, 10:30 PM
Type O Negative was pretty terrible and the reunited Carnivore was semi disappointing, but damn, those 2 Carnivore records were some of the best thrash albums ever! Not to mention the greatness of Batteries Not Included and Rock Hard, always wished Fallout had done more.
:(

Jochen
04-14-2010, 10:31 PM
i don't think i can handle this being true.

Neither can I

bt11763
04-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Type O Negative was pretty terrible

if i wasn't so upset i'd kill you :bouville:

Wizzbang11
04-14-2010, 10:34 PM
if i wasn't so upset i'd kill you :bouville:

If he was less of a douche and I had never heard Carnivore or Fallout maybe I could stomach it more. Gothic rock is not my thing, and then comparing a song like Sex & Violence or Male Supremacy to any of Type O Negatives material is not even fair.

I like the keyboard into to My Girlfriend's Girlfriend though...:eyes:

mankvill
04-14-2010, 10:36 PM
Wow, what the fuck? I was just getting into them...

Wizzbang11
04-14-2010, 10:49 PM
Just listened to the Fallout single for the first time in months (I overplayed the hell out of it) and wow, this makes me feel awful.
:'(

Wizzbang11
04-14-2010, 11:00 PM
The Gauntlet claims it was confirmed at 10:52 PST.

bt11763
04-14-2010, 11:02 PM
The Gauntlet claims it was confirmed at 10:52 PST.

yeah a friend of mine heard about it around that time.

Div
04-14-2010, 11:43 PM
nooooooo

mankvill
04-15-2010, 12:38 AM
smnnews.com is confirming it.

:(

300%_Density
04-15-2010, 12:39 AM
http://www.fasterlouder.com.au/news/international/23321/Type-O-Negative-frontman-dead.htm

Goddamnit. Think it's true. Not a Type O fan but metal tragedy is still sad. This blows.

mankvill
04-15-2010, 12:54 AM
Absolutely one of the biggest and saddest metal musicians to pass in the last ten years. Up there with Quorthon, Chuck Schuldiner and Dimebag.

300%_Density
04-15-2010, 12:59 AM
Absolutely one of the biggest and saddest metal musicians to pass in the last ten years. Up there with Quorthon, Chuck Schuldiner and Dimebag.

And Vitek from Decapitated. I might go find me some Type O to listen to.

mankvill
04-15-2010, 01:01 AM
And Vitek from Decapitated. I might go find me some Type O to listen to.

Yeah, Vitek too for sure.

mankvill
04-15-2010, 01:31 AM
Please don't dress in black
When you're at his wake
Don't go there to mourn
But to celebrate

:light:

JuuKun
04-15-2010, 03:06 AM
God damnit, WHY DID I HAVE TO LEAVE BEFORE TYPE O NEGATIVE IN OCTOBER?!?!?! :bouville:

This is awful. R.I.P. :(

Derelict
04-15-2010, 04:03 AM
Everyone I love is dead....

What a shame, this is one of my all time favorites bands/frontmen

Derelict
04-15-2010, 04:12 AM
I'm curious if this will be "just" a heart attack, Pete has written about 59 songs about killing himself.

Favorite Pete quote: "The only thing that sucks worse than we do is your mother with her falsies out."

mastodon421
04-15-2010, 04:18 AM
R.I.P Peter this is a shock and you will me missed.

Derelict
04-15-2010, 05:19 AM
Favorite lyric from Pete

SUCK
I won't change for anyone
MY
I'll keep fighting til I'm done
DICK
I got a right to be myself
and you can go fuck yourself

Jochen
04-15-2010, 05:21 AM
It's true, this sucks camel dick, RIP

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=138519

AnataFan4Life
04-15-2010, 06:48 AM
:bawling:

This just ruined my week, seriously

Jochen
04-15-2010, 08:20 AM
This ruined my year.

Natrlhi
04-15-2010, 08:35 AM
Damn, I just mentioned him yesterday in the "Your Favorite Voices in Metal / Rock" thread, too. He was one of the greats.

This is a significant loss to the metal world. RIP Peter - you will be missed.

DethMaiden
04-15-2010, 09:01 AM
:bouville: :( This is a huge loss. Never got to see Type O. :snivel:

R.I.P. Pete. :light:

bt11763
04-15-2010, 09:32 AM
i never got a chance to see them either, and i never had a chance to realize how much of a huge influence Pete was on me until now. I'm literally welling up with tears.

RIP Peter, now they are truly having a Halloween in Heaven :boohoo:

Derelict
04-15-2010, 10:09 AM
Another fond Type O memory - Saw them at Ozzfest 1997, Phil from Pantera came out and did vocals for them on "Kill all the white people." Phil went over and took a chug from Peters bottle of red wine (which he was drinking during the set, a whole bottle). Peter went over, gave a look of utter disgust at the bottle, then spent a minute or two wiping off the mouth of the bottle on his shirt, getting the Phil off of it. I'm sure it was preplanned, but pretty funny nonetheless.

Indestructible
04-15-2010, 10:16 AM
I'm curious if this will be "just" a heart attack, Pete has written about 59 songs about killing himself.

He could of done something to him self to that triggered the heart attack or he could of just had a heart attack and thats it. We will never know 100%.
Glade I got to see them live twice.
R.I.P Peter Steele one great Musician.

TonyD
04-15-2010, 10:21 AM
He could of done something to him self to that triggered the heart attack or he could of just had a heart attack and thats it. We will never know 100%.

...yeah we will. He just died yesterday, they're probably doing an autopsy/toxicology report this week.

Either way shitty news, RIP.

mankvill
04-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Tons of people commenting on his passing, including Mille Petrozza and Cristina Scabbia.

Crionics
04-15-2010, 11:25 AM
I was just starting to open to these guys..RIP

Div
04-15-2010, 11:33 AM
:realchug:everyone must play Retaliation today in his honor

Derelict
04-15-2010, 11:37 AM

Done and done

MPF
04-15-2010, 11:43 AM
FUCK!!!

Peter Steele was one of the few musicians left that I really wanted to meet that I might of actually had the chance to meet.

As poserish as it sounds I Don't Wanna Be Me was my favorite Type O Negative song. Especially the video, it helped me realize what modern culture was at the time and helped me to escape from it and become a better person.

I'm pretty sure this will affect me for a while. DAMN!

R.I.P.

Natrlhi
04-15-2010, 11:57 AM
Also done (to "Retaliation" being played, not the drinking part ;)).

Sanitarium78
04-15-2010, 11:59 AM
This is some very sad news for me personally.

I've been a big Type O fan ever since I saw them open for Motley Crue back around when Bloody Kisses first came out. That's when I became a fan and i've been one ever since. I also saw them headline in 2007 and in 2008 when they toured with Hatebreed. The 2007 show was my favorite they played over 2 hours that night and I was right up in front for it all. The album World Coming Down came out while I was going through the darkest point of my life and I listened to it a lot and it helped me through it. It made me realise that even though Pete was a well known musician he still suffered through a lot of the pain and personal demons that we all do and that money and success doesn't always bring the happiness you think it will.

I know a lot of people say this when someone famous passes away but goddamit I mean this with all my heart, Peter Steele was one of the most unique and individual talents in the metal world. His voice, and his song writting style were truely special and always made Type O Negative stand out from everyone else. Another great accomplishment is that Bloody Kisses went platinum in the US and October Rust went gold. For a band that didn't have any mainsteam sounding stuff this is a true testament to how Peter Steele's music affected and got through to people. His music means more to me than I can really put into words. I'm gonna stop writting now before I start bawling my eyes out:(

R.I.P. Peter Steele

Truley one of a kind, you will be missed:bowdown:

ADD
04-15-2010, 12:01 PM
:light:

Indestructible
04-15-2010, 12:14 PM

I know nothing from Carnivor but I will be playing Type O all day and the rest that follow.

ChildrenofSodom
04-15-2010, 12:42 PM
aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnndddddddddddddd.............I will just continue my lifestyle of not listening to any music this guy ever made. Sorry to be a debbie downer, but other people have said it before: there is usually an influx of interest in someone's work once they die. I, however, never cared about Type O Negative or Carnivore, so I'm not going to pretend to do so now that Steele is dead.

That being said, Rest in Peace.

EDIT - Or maybe I will give a listen. Can't hurt. Whatever. RIP.

mankvill
04-15-2010, 12:49 PM
aaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnndddddddddddddd.............I will just continue my lifestyle of not listening to any music this guy ever made. Sorry to be a debbie downer, but other people have said it before: there is usually an influx of interest in someone's work once they die. I, however, never cared about Type O Negative or Carnivore, so I'm not going to pretend to do so now that Steele is dead.

Listen to all of Carnivore, Bloody Kisses, Life Is Killing Me...hell, just listen to all of Type O too. I was just getting into them a couple months ago, and this makes me want to get all their CD's now! ;o;

Derelict
04-15-2010, 01:03 PM
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5805/petecarnivore.jpg

Shot I took on my phone from when I saw Carnivore in 2006

Bloodcurse
04-15-2010, 01:18 PM
http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/5805/petecarnivore.jpg

Shot I took on my phone from when I saw Carnivore in 2006

I was there...Allentown right? That was when I first met Peter. And he was the most kind and polite musician.

Derelict
04-15-2010, 01:20 PM
I was there...Allentown right? That was when I first met Peter. And he was the most kind and polite musician.

Yep, that was at Croc Rock. And thats awesome you get to meet him, never had the pleasure.

Natrlhi
04-15-2010, 01:30 PM

OK, we all give you fifty integrity points for not gushing about a guy you never really knew about.

Now go learn. Carnivore was rad as fuck.

(Some folks might say the same about Type O, but I really never got into them, so give me ten of your integrity points for not insisting that you should listen to them. ;))

DethMaiden
04-15-2010, 01:32 PM
(Some folks might say the same about Type O, but I really never got into them, so give me ten of your integrity points for not insisting that you should listen to them. ;))

Type O is really fantastic, man. Not sure how you evaded interest in them for all these years.

evildeadjedi
04-15-2010, 01:34 PM
RIP Peter sad to see you go so soon. I used to listen to "Bloody Kisses" and "October Rust" all the time in high school. Since goth chicks worshiped type O it became part of my soundtrack for debauchery :D. I also checked out Carnivore when I got back into thrash metal awesome stuff! :rocker:

Natrlhi
04-15-2010, 01:47 PM
Type O is really fantastic, man. Not sure how you evaded interest in them for all these years.Not an active choice, really - just that nothing by them ever really grabbed me. I listened to some of World Coming Down, and found it...OK. :shrug:

mankvill
04-15-2010, 01:48 PM
Not an active choice, really - just that nothing by them ever really grabbed me. I listened to some of World Downfall, and found it...OK. :shrug:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXIWRan3XGY

Jochen
04-15-2010, 03:28 PM
This is where it's at...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JN_BlF9Vtvw

ChildrenofSodom
04-15-2010, 03:37 PM
Yet in the dark, still we scream your name.
Nights living death with witch rhymes insane.
Ten years amassed, para toda mi vida?
Lost man in time, was his name Peter?

converge241
04-15-2010, 04:26 PM
I got to meet Peter twice, nice guy great band R.I.P.

Travis The Dragon
04-15-2010, 04:53 PM
http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c352/fonzbear2000/TON.jpg

Wizzbang11
04-15-2010, 05:37 PM
Some of the more moving Pete quotes:

Don't call me your brother
'cause I ain't your fucking brother
we fell from different cunts
and your skins an ugly color

Between my legs I've got what it takes to be called a man
Fighting, feasting, fucking all I can

If you can't eat it, or fuck it...then kill it!

My eyes full of lust my balls
gonna bust give yourself to me
thirst I can't quench c'mere you wench
there's something that I need

You don't like the clothes I wear
I'll shave my head or grow my hair
What makes you look over here
What are you queer?
Suck my dick!

A spineless yellow faggot
A bunch of stiking slobs
Hiding behind masks
Show yourself 'ya maggot
United we stand
Divided we fall
And that's the way it's gonna be
Don't ever for liberty
All the bullshit countries
Who think they'll beat the giant
World peace on upheaval
We'll nuke'em to the stoneage
Send the message clear
'Ya don't fuck with the eagle

and lets not forget his finest hour in photography:
NSFW (http://helios.et.put.poznan.pl/~malina/foto/peter_steele_nude/big/peter_steele_nude_036.jpg)

Indestructible
04-15-2010, 06:35 PM
http://typeonegative.net/index.php

Official Statement about Peter Steele

Sanitarium78
04-15-2010, 06:44 PM
Since some of us are doing lyrical tributes, here's one of my favorite Type O Negative songs:

WORLD COMING DOWN (1999)

"She thinks i'm iron man, that I don't feel pain
I don't understand why joy must be feigned
I'm so fortunate yet filled with self hate
that the mirror shows me an ingrate

I could easily start pointing fingers
since the blame is mine it always lingers
That the truth it lies in my reflection
though this can't go on there's no question

Yeah I know that my world is coming down
I know, I know i'm the one who brought it down
Brought it down, bring it on down

How quickly pass the days, long is the night
lying awake in bed bathed in stralight
Better to live as king of beasts
than as a lamb scared and weak

I will deny my role as a human
holding myself hostage with no demands
It's better to burn quickly and bright
than slowly and dull, without a fight

Well, I know that my world is coming down
Now I know, I know that i'm the one who brought it down
Brought it down, bring it on down"

Indestructible
04-15-2010, 06:50 PM
Ive been listening to Type o for a little over 4 years this has always been my favorite song from them.

All Hallows Eve

Fall fires burning neath black twisted boughs
Sacrifice to above
Smoke swirling quickly towards misting clouds
Offering of this blood
Into the flames and without shame
Consumed with howls and screams
Pumpkins grin in their despair on all

Hallow's eve
Hallow's eve

Cruel be the wind as it quells my words
I shout out to the rain
Incantations I so hope you've heard
That you live again
From deep earth brings forth rebirth
Witness but I shan't believe
From below a chilling glow on all

Hallow's eve
Hallow's eve

Be spiderwebbed and glazed in frost
She wears death beautifully
More stunning now than in her life
On a bed of autumn leaves
Into her eyes and quite surprised
I whispered don't you leave
Sing macabre songs and we'll dance til dawn on all

Hallow's eve
Hallow's eve

Saint Lucifer hear me praying to thee
On this eve of all saints
High be the price but then nothing is free
My soul I'll gladly trade

Ahhh
Hallow's eve
Ahhh
Hallow's eve

Cold is the night in so many ways
Luna round full and bright
Deep be the mud on the fresh dug graves
On yours I recite
An ancient spell I know so well
Success is guaranteed
I'll bring you back from where you've gone on all

Hallow's eve
Hallow's eve

Saint Lucifer hear me praying to thee
On this eve of all saints
High be the price but then nothing is free
My soul I'll gladly trade

Ahhh
Hallow's eve
Ahhh
Hallow's eve

Wrathchild_84
04-15-2010, 07:02 PM
Next Friday my band is gonna cover a Carnivore track in his honor. Pete was such a great funny guy and I'm really sad to see him gone.

bt11763
04-15-2010, 09:22 PM
Next Friday my band is gonna cover a Carnivore track in his honor. Pete was such a great funny guy and I'm really sad to see him gone.

yeah my band is going to do an excerpt from Unsuccessfully Coping With The Natural Beauty Of Infidelity. and i'm working with another band for guest vocals on Profits of Doom. fuck man, i'm so strung out from this.

Indestructible
04-16-2010, 03:01 PM
para toda mi vida?

What is the english translation of that.

davidis138
04-16-2010, 03:14 PM
What is the english translation of that.

all my life

ravenheart
04-16-2010, 04:57 PM
Some of the more moving Pete quotes:

By "moving" you presumably meant "juvenile"?

I liked Type O, but that stuff is pure rap music.

Wizzbang11
04-16-2010, 06:17 PM
By "moving" you presumably meant "juvenile"?

Yep. Racist...homophobic..etc.

As far as I can tell Pete Steele wasn't the awesome nice guy people seem to be making him out to be.
Made great songs, but he was a macho dick.

DethMaiden
04-16-2010, 06:22 PM
Yep. Racist...homophobic..etc.

As far as I can tell Pete Steele wasn't the awesome nice guy people seem to be making him out to be.
Made great songs, but he was a macho dick.

I'm kinda guessing the racism, homophobia and misogyny were part of a shtick that he mostly dropped by the time Type O came to fruition. Not trying to justify it because the jokes were fairly offensive, but I'm thinking that's all they were: jokes.

Wizzbang11
04-16-2010, 06:27 PM
I'm kinda guessing the racism, homophobia and misogyny were part of a shtick that he mostly dropped by the time Type O came to fruition. Not trying to justify it because the jokes were fairly offensive, but I'm thinking that's all they were: jokes.

Racism dropped, but he kept the homophobia and misogyny, at least in character, outside of Carnivore.

Carnivore is fantastic, the lyrics are tongue in cheek, but he was not a great person, at least in his public image.

Sanitarium78
04-17-2010, 12:58 PM
Carnivore is fantastic, the lyrics are tongue in cheek, but he was not a great person, at least in his public image.

None of us can really say what kind of person he was if we didn't know him at all. Otherwise you're just making an assumption based on some interviews which is really no fair to the man. With most of his interviews he was alsways cracking jokes about stuff and even making fun of himself and his band mates. I never tried to take stuff he said like that too seriously, the guy was just goofing around most of the time.

In the end it doesn't really matter what kind of person he was, all that matters is the great music he left behind. Weather you preferred Type O or Canivore or liked them both his legacy will be his music and how it touched so many fans lives. Not weather or not he was a great person.