PDA

View Full Version : Roger Waters "The Wall" 30th Anniversary Tour

mankvill
04-12-2010, 11:24 AM
ZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZzzz (http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2010/04/12/roger-waters-announces-30th-anniversary-tour-for-the-wall/)

Sept. 15 Toronto, ON @ Air Canada Centre
Sept. 20 Chicago, IL @ United Center
Sept. 21 Chicago, IL @ United Center
Sept. 26 Pittsburgh, PA @ Consol Energy Center
Sept. 28 Cleveland, OH @ Quicken Loans Arena
Sept. 30 Boston, MA @ TD Garden
Oct. 5 New York, NY @ Madison Square Garden
Oct. 8 Buffalo, NY @ HSBC Arena
Oct. 10 Washington, DC @ Verizon Center
Oct. 12 Uniondale, NY @ Nassau Coliseum
Oct. 15 Hartford, CT @ XL Center
Oct. 17 Ottawa, ON @ ScotiaBank Place
Oct. 19 Montreal, QC @ Bell Centre
Oct. 22 Columbus, OH @ Schottenstein Center
Oct. 24 Detroit, MI @ Palace of Auburn Hills
Oct. 26 Omaha, NE @ Qwest Center
Oct. 27 St Paul, MN @ Xcel Energy Center
Oct. 29 St. Louis, MO @ Scottrade Center
Oct. 30 Kansas City, MO @ Sprint Center
Nov. 3 New York, NY @ Izod Center
Nov. 8 Philadelphia, PA @ Wachovia Center
Nov. 9 Philadelphia, PA @ Wachovia Center
Nov. 13 Fort Lauderdale, FL @ Bank Atlantic Center
Nov. 16 Tampa, FL @ St. Pete Times Forum
Nov. 18 Atlanta, GA @ Philips Arena
Nov. 20 Houston, TX @ Toyota Center
Nov. 21 Dallas, TX @ American Airlines Center
Nov. 23 Denver, CO @ Pepsi Center
Nov. 26 Las Vegas, NV @ MGM Grand Garden Arena
Nov. 27 Phoenix, AZ @ US Airways Center
Nov. 29 Los Angeles, CA @ The Forum
Dec. 6 San Jose, CA @ HP Pavilion
Dec. 10 Vancouver, BC @ General Motors Place
Dec. 11 Tacoma, WA @ Tacoma Dome
Dec. 13 Anaheim, CA @ Honda Center

DethMaiden
04-12-2010, 11:27 AM
I'll hold out for Gilmour.

Derelict
04-12-2010, 11:43 AM
I've seen him do all of dark side of the moon before, was pretty good

evildeadjedi
04-12-2010, 12:01 PM
Hmmm I will have to keep an eye out for ticket prices. I have been wanting to see any Pink Floyd performance and "The Wall" is one my favorite albums of all time. Gilmour would be great but he is semi retired so who knows when he will tour again. I would love a reunion tour but who knows when or if that will happen.

SomewhereInTime72
04-12-2010, 12:01 PM
I'll hold out for Gilmour.

:fist:

Uncle_Meat1940
04-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I love David Gilmour as well, but The Wall is Roger's baby so I'll probably go see it.

DethMaiden
04-12-2010, 12:14 PM
I love David Gilmour as well, but The Wall is Roger's baby so I'll probably go see it.

The fact that The Wall is Roger's baby is why it's the worst Floyd album from 1971 on. ;)

Fe Maiden
04-12-2010, 12:20 PM
The fact that The Wall is Roger's baby is why it's the worst Floyd album from 1971 on. ;)Although it contains one of the best guitar solos ever (Comfortably Numb) which I know is Gilmour but still. The Wall has some great songs on it and some really bizzare boring shit as well.

DethMaiden
04-12-2010, 12:22 PM
Although it contains one of the best guitar solos ever (Comfortably Numb) which I know is Gilmour but still. The Wall has some great songs on it and some really bizzare boring shit as well.

Comfortably Numb might be my favorite Floyd song and has my favorite Floyd solo, and there's a half dozen really good songs on there, but Jesus, it's an hour and a half long and half of that is interludes and intros. Roger was waaaaay too full of himself to make a good album at that point.

Jochen
04-12-2010, 12:25 PM
If this came to Milwaukee next year I'd consider seeing it. When he did DSOTM in 07 that was awesome. With Rick Wright dead, they can't reunite (imo), and who knows if David Gilmour will do anything again, so I'd see this.

Uncle_Meat1940
04-12-2010, 12:38 PM
The fact that The Wall is Roger's baby is why it's the worst Floyd album from 1971 on. ;)

Ok, for one, why is your time frame from 1971 and on when 'The Wall' was released in 1979? Oh, I get it, so you could have real albums to compare it to, since 'The Final Cut' and the two albums with no Roger Waters were complete shit and were the only albums released after 'The Wall'

The sad thing is that you kids bash the fuck out of Roger for no reason saying he made Pink Floyd suck when in reality he wrote most of the songs you hold near and dear to your heart. What is your favorite Floyd album of all time? I bet you that Waters wrote and/or was included in the process of writing more songs on that album than Gimour. Why do I make such a bold bet? Probably cause its true on every album! (excluding their first album and their last two albums of course)

Without Roger Waters, there would be no Pink Floyd. Not that I don't think that for David as well, but its to much less of an extent.

DethMaiden
04-12-2010, 12:41 PM
Ok, for one, why is your time frame from 1971 and on when 'The Wall' was released in 1979? Oh, I get it, so you could have real albums to compare it to, since 'The Final Cut' and the two albums with no Roger Waters were complete shit and were the only albums released after 'The Wall'

The sad thing is that you kids bash the fuck out of Roger for no reason saying he made Pink Floyd suck when in reality he wrote most of the songs you hold near and dear to your heart. What is your favorite Floyd album of all time? I bet you that Waters wrote and/or was included in the process of writing more songs on that album than Gimour. Why do I make such a bold bet? Probably cause its true on every album! (excluding their first album and their last two albums of course)

Without Roger Waters, there would be no Pink Floyd. Not that I don't think that for David as well, but its to much less of an extent.

If you think A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell are pure shit then I feel very sorry for you. :(

Look, I'm not saying I hate Roger, I understand how important he was to the band. I know Animals was just as much a Roger album as The Wall, but the difference is Animals was very, very good.

And I disagree that it was "less of an extent" with David because his playing is what really attracts me to Pink Floyd's music, and I think the albums that he plays on and Roger doesn't are quite good, and I like his solo shit, which I can't say about Roger.

JRA
04-12-2010, 12:52 PM
The sad thing is that you kids bash the fuck out of Roger for no reason saying he made Pink Floyd suck when in reality he wrote most of the songs you hold near and dear to your heart.

Um...no. Not true at all. Yea Roger did take part in the writing, but he also let his band mates write with him. He released they were a collaborative team rather than his backing band. The Wall is when that notion completely ended.

Uncle_Meat1940
04-12-2010, 01:00 PM
If you think A Momentary Lapse of Reason and The Division Bell are pure shit then I feel very sorry for you. :(

Look, I'm not saying I hate Roger, I understand how important he was to the band. I know Animals was just as much a Roger album as The Wall, but the difference is Animals was very, very good.

And I disagree that it was "less of an extent" with David because his playing is what really attracts me to Pink Floyd's music, and I think the albums that he plays on and Roger doesn't are quite good, and I like his solo shit, which I can't say about Roger.

1. I may have been going a little overboard by saying the were PURE shit, but they aren't on my top list of Floyd albums by any means and never will be when compared to their releases with Roger.

2. Darkside of the Moon as well. ;) I'd very much like to hear your opinion as to why 'The Wall' isn't a good album. Another thing, PLEASE DON'T THINK THE WALL IS MY FAVORITE ALBUM BY PINK FLOYD considering that it's not by any means. There are quite a few that hold higher places but I still think 'The Wall' is a great album that has rightfully deserved it's place as one of the better albums that they made. I'm just sick of everyone talking out of their ass about how terrible Roger Waters is and blah blah blah. Not saying that you personally are talking out of your ass mind you, I'm just talking about Pink Floyd "fans" in general.

3. While he may be a good player, take a step back and think about who was choosing his notes and rhythms on many songs. He wrote for himself on albums as well, but Roger did write a fair amount of the guitar parts too. I don't like either of their solo efforts so I really don't take that into consideration.

The truth is, one single member didn't "ruin" Pink Floyd, they all had a hand in their demise.

Uncle_Meat1940
04-12-2010, 01:09 PM
Um...no. Not true at all. Yea Roger did take part in the writing, but he also let his band mates write with him. He released they were a collaborative team rather than his backing band. The Wall is when that notion completely ended.

Read a little further sweetie, I know that was a long post but it helps to read things in their entirety. Ill help you out. ;) I even capitalized what I wanted you to read in case it was still too many words. :)

I said:

"The sad thing is that you kids bash the fuck out of Roger for no reason saying he made Pink Floyd suck when in reality he wrote most of the songs you hold near and dear to your heart. What is your favorite Floyd album of all time? I BET YOU THAT WATERS WROTE AND/OR WAS INCLUDED IN THE PROCESS OF WRITING MORE SONGS ON THAT ALBUM THAN GILMOUR. Why do I make such a bold bet? Probably cause its true on every album! (excluding their first album and their last two albums of course)"

Uncle_Meat1940
04-12-2010, 01:12 PM
error. hehe

mankvill
04-12-2010, 01:23 PM
I wish there was no Pink Floyd. :bouville:

girnny777
04-12-2010, 01:50 PM
Depending on ticket prices I will probably see this. Fuck the haters, The Wall rules.

Fe Maiden
04-12-2010, 02:03 PM
Comfortably Numb might be my favorite Floyd song and has my favorite Floyd solo, and there's a half dozen really good songs on there, but Jesus, it's an hour and a half long and half of that is interludes and intros. Roger was waaaaay too full of himself to make a good album at that point.Mother
Young Lust
Hey You
Comfortably Numb
Run Like Hell
Another Brick In The Wall 1-3

The rest: Meh!

DethMaiden
04-12-2010, 02:05 PM
Mother
Young Lust
Hey You
Comfortably Numb
Run Like Hell

I quite like Nobody Home, but I don't particularly like the Another Brick in the Wall tracks.

Div
04-12-2010, 03:09 PM
i guess he accepted the challenge from metallica.

also, the wall rules and floyd sucked after waters left. the only part of the wall that i dislike is the very last verse,
"the bleeding hearts and artists make their stand" :barf: :hippie:

Uncle_Meat1940
04-12-2010, 03:27 PM
Mother
Young Lust
Hey You
Comfortably Numb
Run Like Hell

The only songs I truly like off that list are 'Mother' and 'Run Like Hell' it's all about the deep cuts man.

What about 'In the Flesh', 'Goodbye Blue Sky', 'Nobody Home', 'Wating For the Worms', and 'The Trial'???

Personally, I listen to albums in full, especially albums like this. The main reason is cause I buy my music on vinyl, but that's beside the point. Those songs are merely highlights off this album in my opinion, I love all the little interludes and everything else as well. As a matter of fact I'm gonna go give this one a spin since I haven't listened to it in months.

andrew_metalhead
04-12-2010, 08:53 PM
Fuckin A. November 29th!!!! Can't wait!!!!! My purpose in life is slowly getting fulfilled day by day, and seeing this show will serve as a major step towards achieving that :D

Pastulio_
04-12-2010, 09:07 PM
The only songs I truly like off that list are 'Mother' and 'Run Like Hell' it's all about the deep cuts man.

What about 'In the Flesh', 'Goodbye Blue Sky', 'Nobody Home', 'Wating For the Worms', and 'The Trial'???

What he said. The Trial might very well be the coolest thing ever written.

Uncle_Meat1940
04-13-2010, 07:05 AM
I tip my hat to you sir! *tips hat*

Natrlhi
04-13-2010, 08:30 AM
I arrived a bit late to this debate, and that makes me sad because I could have saved several of you a lot of time and energy by pointing out the following:

FACT: Pink Floyd is awesome.

FACT: Roger Waters did write most of Pink Floyd's material, therefore he is essential to the band being what they are / were.

FACT: Roger Waters is, however, a flaming douche, a tool, and an arrogant prick.

FACT: The above truths can (and do) coexist in the same space-time continuum.

[/thread]

Sanitarium78
04-13-2010, 09:14 AM
Pink Floyd rules and The Wall is great. Fuck any of the haters here. The Wall, while unusal, does have a lot of original and creative things song writting wise on it. I always thought the album told a good story. It's sad some people don't like it or get it because I think the album is really something special and a standout in classic rock. There are some pointless interludes there but all the "real" songs on there are very good. I agree with what was said above about The Trial being one of the coolest things ever written.

Also, I think the concept of the album people can connect with. I can't speak for everyone, but I know there's been times in my life where people and the world have pissed me off so much that I decide to put up "A Wall" and disconnect from the world. Eventually I come back around but at least for me I can identify with the story somewhat.

This show is coming to my city and i'm more than likely gonna go. I never had the chance to see Pink Floyd live so this may be as close as I can get to it. It will suck to not hear Gilmour playing the guitar solo on Comfortably Numb but it should still be a good show to see.

Fe Maiden
04-13-2010, 09:35 AM

In The Flesh Is good, I like Goodbye Blue Sky and even Is There Anybody Out There bbut do not like them as much as the others I listed. I actually dislike The Trial and Wating For The Worms. Everyone's taste is different!

Uncle_Meat1940
04-13-2010, 11:38 AM
I arrived a bit late to this debate, and that makes me sad because I could have saved several of you a lot of time and energy by pointing out the following:

FACT: Pink Floyd is awesome.

FACT: Roger Waters did write most of Pink Floyd's material, therefore he is essential to the band being what they are / were.

OPINION: Roger Waters is, however, a flaming douche, a tool, and an arrogant prick.

FACT: The above truths can (and do) coexist in the same space-time continuum.

[/thread]

Fixed. ;)

1. Thank you so much for pointing that out, I seriously didn't know that.

2. Thanks for restating one of my main points of the argument, that really cleared things up for me as well.

3. Same goes for Gilmour, and he's a marketing whore on top of that, which is one of my least favorite traits in a musician.

4. *insert random shit here*

Natrlhi
04-13-2010, 11:41 AM
Fixed. ;)Nah, I think that third point I made is actually a fact. Look it up. ;)

Uncle_Meat1940
04-13-2010, 11:52 AM
You may consider it a fact. But your going off of the OPINIONS of others, unless you have actually met him. What defines one as an asshole/douche/cocksucker/etc. changes from person to person. You can't tell me you don't know people who are considered assholes by some and nice dudes by others. Another thing, who cares if the dude can be a dick to people? In my OPINION the dude has earned the right to tell any one he wants to fuck off.

Natrlhi
04-13-2010, 12:43 PM
You may consider it a fact. But your going off of the OPINIONS of others, unless you have actually met him. What defines one as an asshole/douche/cocksucker/etc. changes from person to person. You can't tell me you don't know people who are considered assholes by some and nice dudes by others. Another thing, who cares if the dude can be a dick to people? In my OPINION the dude has earned the right to tell any one he wants to fuck off.

Fair enough. I was mostly kidding anyways.

DethMaiden
04-13-2010, 12:48 PM
I'm really fucking tired of someone having a big long post on every other thread about the difference between fact and opinion. Look, we get it, but no one should have to qualify what they say as "just my opinion" because if they're saying it, it's obviously their opinion, even if it includes the word "fact" in it. I don't come here to get lessons in semantics.

Natrlhi
04-13-2010, 12:57 PM
I'm really fucking tired of someone having a big long post on every other thread about the difference between fact and opinion. Look, we get it, but no one should have to qualify what they say as "just my opinion" because if they're saying it, it's obviously their opinion, even if it includes the word "fact" in it. I don't come here to get lessons in semantics.
In his defense, I did label it as a fact, mostly because I was being a smartass, which I guess wasn't obvious...maybe he just doesn't know how I roll yet.

However, I do agree with what you're saying.

Uncle_Meat1940
04-13-2010, 01:21 PM

That's the great thing about being able to make choices, you choose not to read things. :)

In his defense, I did label it as a fact, mostly because I was being a smartass, which I guess wasn't obvious...maybe he just doesn't know how I roll yet.

However, I do agree with what you're saying.

That's my biggest pet peeve about talking on the internet, you can't get the tone of voice of the person your talking to. haha

Div
04-13-2010, 03:56 PM

:agree:

not like anyone should be bothered by something said on the internet enough to write a 3 page response anyway...

tdunks523
04-13-2010, 07:08 PM
i wanna see him do the first pink floyd album even tho he never will, thatd be cool

Uncle_Meat1940
04-13-2010, 07:23 PM
I personally would like to see Meddle, Dark Side, and Animals. Any album he was on would be cool though.

es156
04-13-2010, 10:24 PM
I personally would like to see Meddle, Dark Side, and Animals. Any album he was on would be cool though.

I got to see Gilmour do Echoes and Waters do Dark Side and Sheep. I am sure that is as close as I will ever get.

The Wall is amazing. I can't believe all of the grief it is getting in this thread. What is wrong with you people?! I will definitely be catching this tour at least once. Maybe twice.

Also, Chick Corea. There is a name that I never thought I would see here. Very nice. I saw him live twice back in the early 90's, primarily because of his drummer at the time, Dave Weckl. One of the best drummers I have ever seen.

PowerMaiden
04-13-2010, 11:23 PM
The Wall is amazing. I can't believe all of the grief it is getting in this thread. What is wrong with you people?!

+1

I saw Roger 3 times live and it's as good if not better than the remains of Floyd was in '94.I'll be catching the Montreal show for sure, Roger Waters Is Pink Floyd

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Natrlhi
04-14-2010, 06:26 AM
The Wall is amazing. I can't believe all of the grief it is getting in this thread. What is wrong with you people?!:agree: Exactly this. My suspicion is that it is yet another example of "I'm too cool to like The Wall - everybody else does, but I'm edgy and I won't conform!" :rolleyes:

Uncle_Meat1940
04-14-2010, 07:30 AM
Also, Chick Corea. There is a name that I never thought I would see here. Very nice. I saw him live twice back in the early 90's, primarily because of his drummer at the time, Dave Weckl. One of the best drummers I have ever seen.

Ya, Jazz is tied with Metal and Prog. for my favorite genre. I've never seen Chick before and he is one of my favorite composers/pianists of all time. Hoping to get my vinyl copy of Miles Davis' 'In a Silent Way' signed along with my copies of 'The Chick Corea Elektric Band' and 'Three Quartets' its at a pretty small venue so I think I have a pretty good chance. :)

SomewhereInTime72
04-14-2010, 07:54 AM
:agree: Exactly this. My suspicion is that it is yet another example of "I'm too cool to like The Wall - everybody else does, but I'm edgy and I won't conform!" :rolleyes:

http://dgamers.net/images/smilies/giant_rolleyes.gif

Come on man. The moment you admit you like Pink Floyd at all, you have conformed. And it's not nearly as highly regarded as, say, Dark Side... It's just not that good at all.

Pink Floyd studio albums better than The Wall:

A Saucerful of Secrets
Ummagumma
Atom Heart Mother
Meddle
The Dark Side of the Moon
Wish You Were Here
Animals
A Momentary Lapse of Reason
The Division Bell

Yeah... that's about right. There are 9 Floyd albums I care about more than The Wall. The Wall is (relatively) boring.

DethMaiden
04-14-2010, 07:55 AM

Come on man. The moment you admit you like Pink Floyd at all, you have conformed. And it's not nearly as highly regarded as, say, Dark Side... It's just not that good at all.

A Saucerful of Secrets
Ummagumma
Atom Heart Mother
Meddle
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Division Bell

Yeah... that's about right. There are 9 Floyd albums I care about more than The Wall. The Wall is (relatively) boring.

:agree: @ all of this.

mankvill
04-14-2010, 10:09 AM
Lemme listen to some albums to see what Pink Floyd I like

Okay, here goes the first one

Hmm, I guess it soun-:zzz:

Natrlhi
04-14-2010, 10:16 AM
I never said the other albums were worse than The Wall, or better - I only said The Wall doesn't suck - and it doesn't.

EDIT: ...and I definitely don't buy into the comment about conforming the minute one admits that one likes Pink Floyd, because that's just another flavor of the same old tired fucking elitist argument that once a band is huge it's not "hip" or "cool" to like them anymore. Sorry Pink Floyd got big. I like still them. :rolleyes:

Div
04-14-2010, 11:02 AM

A Saucerful of Secrets
Ummagumma
Atom Heart Mother
Meddle
Wish You Were Here
Animals
The Division Bell

you really think that syd barret shit is better than the wall?

Natrlhi
04-14-2010, 11:23 AM
No, but they're going to say so, because on here, making a point is more important than telling the truth. ;)

DethMaiden
04-14-2010, 11:25 AM
No, but they're going to say so, because on here, making a point is more important than telling the truth. ;)

The Wall is better than the Barret stuff, but it's worse than the rest of it except The Final Cut. Listen, I don't hate The Wall, I own it, and I listen to some of the songs on it every now and again. I'm not making a point, I just genuinely don't see how the fuck you can look at the Wall next to ESPECIALLY the four albums that came before it and say it's even at a similar level of quality. And Roger Waters DID become a giant fuckwad, and I would NOT want to go see him masturbate his ego for two hours when it was Gilmour who made me love Floyd in the first place.

JuuKun
04-14-2010, 12:20 PM
So...am I "making a point" by saying I don't like Pink Floyd?

Cause, y'know, I don't.

SomewhereInTime72
04-14-2010, 12:27 PM

I think A Saucerful of Secrets is better than about half of the albums I listed. For the record, Syd Barrett is awesome, and has the best non-Floyd material besides Gilmour.
...and I definitely don't buy into the comment about conforming the minute one admits that one likes Pink Floyd, because that's just another flavor of the same old tired fucking elitist argument that once a band is huge it's not "hip" or "cool" to like them anymore. Sorry Pink Floyd got big. I like still them. :rolleyes:

This is true though. I personally do not care what people think, but liking Pink Floyd is like liking Nirvana. You're not going to get any coolness points for doing it - because almost everyone does.
http://www.enregistrersous.com/images/74054168420070605194002.jpg

Natrlhi
04-14-2010, 12:50 PM
The Wall is better than the Barret stuff, but it's worse than the rest of it except The Final Cut. Listen, I don't hate The Wall, I own it, and I listen to some of the songs on it every now and again. I'm not making a point, I just genuinely don't see how the fuck you can look at the Wall next to ESPECIALLY the four albums that came before it and say it's even at a similar level of quality. And Roger Waters DID become a giant fuckwad, and I would NOT want to go see him masturbate his ego for two hours when it was Gilmour who made me love Floyd in the first place.I'm cool with all of this - especially the last sentence. My thoughts exactly.

So...am I "making a point" by saying I don't like Pink Floyd?

Cause, y'know, I don't.No. You're being honest. Either you misinterpreted something I said, or I mis-stated it. :lol:

I think A Saucerful of Secrets is better than about half of the albums I listed. For the record, Syd Barrett is awesome, and has the best non-Floyd material besides Gilmour.

This is true though. I personally do not care what people think, but liking Pink Floyd is like liking Nirvana. You're not going to get any coolness points for doing it - because almost everyone does.

http://www.enregistrersous.com/images/74054168420070605194002.jpgDon't know the Saucerful album very well, but I generally only marginally like the Syd Barrett stuff. I don't disagree with the Nirvana comment, I guess. I can't see the photo you posted at work, but I'm guessing my response would be either :lol: or :finger:, so I'm gonna go with this: :fingers:

:D