PDA

View Full Version : Mouth of the Architect -- Cleveland, OH -- April 10th, 2010

Natrlhi
04-11-2010, 07:37 PM
Venue: Now That's Class
Source: Me

The opening acts were New York's punkified sludge duo Sonorous Gale; Columbus, Ohio's stoner trio Red Sun and Akron, Ohio's ultra-heavy Mockingbird. All three openers were quite solid. Sonorous Gale's drummer was a beast, and he whaled on his kit relentlessly whilst wearing absolutely nothing on his feet. Interesting. The other guy did vocals and played bass. That's right, kiddies - no guitar at all - but these cats made one hell of a lot of noise, let me tell you. All low end, but it was pretty sweet. Red Sun sounded a bit like the Melvins, but with a bit faster pace on the average. Their drummer was barefoot also. Puzzling. Mockingbird was, as I said, heavy as fuck. They are still somewhat of a fledgling band, and have yet to fully develop their flow as a confident stage act such as the headliners of this show are, but they are very competent musicians with some crushingly heavy riffs, and I can definitely imagine them going places. Their drummer wore shoes. :eyes:

Finally, at long last (at nearly 1:00 AM!), the inimitable Mouth of the Architect took the stage. They were absolutely killer. Their hour-long set was as follows:

The Violence Beneath (new)
Hate and Heartache :rocker:
Buried Hopes (new)
Baobab* :rocker::rocker:
A Vivid Chaos / A Beautiful Corpse :rocker:

* - At yours truly's request!

After playing a new song off their upcoming EP (which was for sale at the show, and you bet your ass I bought it!), followed by one of my fav tracks from their most recent full-length (complete with intro sample from the movie "Network" :metal:), and another new song from the EP, they paused a bit before continuing their set. I could tell by the banter I overheard through the mics that they had a couple of songs they planned on finishing with, but they had time for another tune in the middle of the set, and they were trying to figure out what to play next. At one point, frontman Steve Brooks looked out at the audience and asked, "what do you guys want to hear?" to which I immediately blurted out "BAOBAB!" (partly because it's one of my older favorites of theirs, and partly because it's much easier to blurt out than many of their other uber-multi-syllabic song titles :D). Steve looked back at the band and said, "Baobab - wanna play Baobab? Let's play Baobab." Nice! I was pumped. The closing number was their classic "A Vivid Chaos" from their first album, at the end of which they launched non-stop into the crushing track "A Beautiful Corpse", which is a perfect set-closer with the repeatedly screamed / chanted lyrics, SWEETER THAN HONEY AND LIES!" :rocker:

I had a chance to meet a couple of the MotA dudes before and after their set, and they all seemed to be really chill, down-to-earth guys - especially frontman Steve Brooks, who I chatted with multiple times about bands they know / have toured with, bands we both like, MotA's plans for the future, and a million other little tidbits. Turns out, Steve is in the military now like our friend SSgt. Phil McSorley, and so touring, writing and recording will be a bit more difficult for him in the future - but here's hoping the MotA project stays strong and keeps pumping out beautiful noise like what I heard last night. These cats are definitely worth checking out live, although you'll have to wait for this summer to do that, due to their upcoming European headlining tour. Best of luck for a successful run on the other side of the big pond, boys - and thanks for the aural ass-kicking. ;)

The only thing that would have made this show sweeter is if MotA had played for about another hour, or if they had brought Joe Lester of IntrOnaut - who plays bass on the new EP - along with them as a touring bassist (what a beast that guy is!).

Peace,
The Nat :horns:

DethMaiden
04-12-2010, 04:43 AM
:horns: Baobab absolutely crushes live, haven't seen them do that since '06. Always a great show, glad you had a good time. Nice review.

Fires Of Sedition
04-12-2010, 05:57 AM
Sonorous Gale's drummer was a beast, and he whaled on his kit relentlessly whilst wearing absolutely nothing on his feet. Interesting. The other guy did vocals and played bass. That's right, kiddies - no guitar at all - but these cats made one hell of a lot of noise, let me tell you. All low end, but it was pretty sweet. Red Sun sounded a bit like the Melvins, but with a bit faster pace on the average. Their drummer was barefoot also. Puzzling. Mockingbird was, as I said, heavy as fuck. They are still somewhat of a fledgling band, and have yet to fully develop their flow as a confident stage act such as the headliners of this show are, but they are very competent musicians with some crushingly heavy riffs, and I can definitely imagine them going places. Their drummer wore shoes. :eyes:

I'm not very good at drums, but when I attempt to play I can't do double bass AT ALL unless I'm barefoot.

DethMaiden
04-26-2010, 07:29 PM
Hey Nat, did they play ALL of A Vivid Chaos before A Beautiful Corpse?

ChildrenofSodom
04-26-2010, 08:05 PM
I'm in Columbus I had never heard of Red Sun. They are playing my hometown soon after I get back for the summer. Neat.

Natrlhi
04-27-2010, 05:24 AM
Hey Nat, did they play ALL of A Vivid Chaos before A Beautiful Corpse?
Hmmm...that's a really good question. Combined, the two tracks should be around twenty minutes long - and although they jammed out on their final piece, I don't think it was quite that long so I'm gonna have to guess "no". However, I'm listening to "A Vivid Chaos" right now, and for the life of me, I can't remember what part they left out / scaled back. All I know is that their final session before finishing up was long and sweet and crushing (duh ;)).

@ Cameron: Yeah, Red Sun was not too bad at all. Like I said, kinda crusty and Melvins-like, so if that's your thing, give them a try.