PDA

View Full Version : Concert Regrets

The Green and Black
04-10-2010, 11:56 AM
Anything you regret doing (or not doing) regarding live shows? I have a few here and there, but these are the two significant ones that I really regret.

1) Being too young and not knowing bands actually toured, and not attending my first concert until 1994. Savatage played Philadelphia in 1993 and I had no idea this was even happening. Criss Oliva was later killed in 1993.

2) Not going with my friends to see this "cool new European metal band that's opening for Death" at the Trocadero in Philly in 1998. That band ended up being Hammerfall, who I had later got into on my own around 2000 when I discovered the magic that is power metal. I have seen Hammerfall live a few times since then, but how cool would it have been to see their first tour in the US? Not to mention the real part I regret is that tour was Death's last right before Chuck Schuldiner became ill, then died in 2001.

:wallbang: :bawling:

DethMaiden
04-10-2010, 11:57 AM
Here's mine (and lots of other people's) ;)

http://metalsetlists.com/showthread.php?t=12039&highlight=missed+concert+regrets

The Green and Black
04-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Oops! I'm still new here, didn't realize this was already a thread. I should have known almost any possible metal topic has already been started and discussed!
:D

DethMaiden
04-10-2010, 12:00 PM
Oops! I'm still new here, didn't realize this was already a thread. I should have known almost any possible metal topic has already been started and discussed!
:D

I think when I started that thread it was determined that someone had already done it too. So you're third. :eyes:

But that Death show would have been something else. Chuck died when I was 11, so there was basically no way I ever would have seen them live. So sad. :light:

mankvill
04-10-2010, 12:58 PM
I'll say mine again. Because it still hurts to think about.

Waited too long to get tix to see Celtic Frost with Type O Negative on what would be their last US tour ever.

Fuck... :(

I mean, I saw them on their reunion tour...but still.

Derelict
04-10-2010, 01:16 PM
2) Not going with my friends to see this "cool new European metal band that's opening for Death" at the Trocadero in Philly in 1998. That band ended up being Hammerfall, who I had later got into on my own around 2000 when I discovered the magic that is power metal. I have seen Hammerfall live a few times since then, but how cool would it have been to see their first tour in the US? Not to mention the real part I regret is that tour was Death's last right before Chuck Schuldiner became ill, then died in 2001.

:wallbang: :bawling:

I was at that show - most of the crowd was in hysterics laughing at Hammerfall.

Maiden33
04-10-2010, 01:25 PM
1) All ProgPowers since 2004 (aka since I became aware of them). Particularly"
2004 (V) - Edguy, Weapons of Mass Destruction (Savatage), Wuthering Heights, Tad Morose
2006 (VII) - Jorn, Evergrey, Vision Divine, Thunderstone
2007 (VIII) - Redemption, Primal Fear, Threshold, Firewind
2009 (X) - Fates Warning, Royal Hunt, Circus Maximus, Pagan's Mind

2) Dream Theater @ Radio City Music Hall - April 1st, 2006 (Score was filmed that night)

3) Gigantour 2005 - Two bands I love (SX and DT), I like Megadeth, and I'm sure I'd enjoy seeing Nevermore - and tickets were cheap.

4) In September 2005, Jon Oliva's Pain and Chris Caffery's band played a gig in New York - I didn't go. I really, really should have, but I was just getting into Savatage around that time.

5) Stratovarius in NYC in October 2006. Saw the setlist, it ruled. And from what I heard it somewhat redeemed the crappy 2005 tour.

6) Riot at some small club in New Jersey in February 2006. Again, was relatively new to the band at the time. This was one of the last shows of the Mike Dimeo era, aka my favorite of the band.

7) Dio solo tour of 2004. The last one in the US? Hopefully not.

8) Whitesnake tour of summer 2005. The lineup that recorded the "live in the Still of the Night" DVD, which I fucking love. Haven't done a proper US headlining tour since.

9) Gamma Ray/Helloween in NYC - September 2008. A show I would've loved to have seen, just didn't have the money at the time.

10) Nocturnal Rites @ Chicago Powerfest in spring 2006. I will finally be redeeming this one in September when I see them at ProgPower! :dance:

I think those are the only big ones I can think of.

xStructualDefect
04-10-2010, 01:29 PM
pretty much all Ozzfests (primarily '05)
all Sounds of the Undergrounds
In flames headline tour 2006
arch enemy / dark tranquillity tour 2008
unearth w/ darkest hour, august burns red, suicide silence (unearth recorded their dvd at my date)
log / aild / cob tour 2009

evildeadjedi
04-11-2010, 08:08 AM
Missing

Ozzfest with Maiden
Not going to Wacken as of yet.
Missing Motorhead with Maiden
Missing Metallica and Pantera

mastodon421
04-11-2010, 08:13 AM
I have one already this year and one coming up that I know that I can't go to.

Devildriver/Behemoth/Suffocation/Goatwhore/Thy Will Be Done

and
the upcoming Mastodon/BTBAM/Baroness tour :bawling::pissed::(

JuuKun
04-11-2010, 09:22 AM
I definitely have to say my biggest active regret is the fact that I didn't start going to shows until December 05. I missed Therion playing in Worcester by three months. Of course, I didn't know who Therion was at the time - but at the time of my first show (Children of Bodom) I didn't know who CoB was, had only heard the name a few times from other people and wanted to give them a shot.

Also, due to age (And not knowing about the festival until after the fact), I missed Morgana Lefay at Chicago Powerfests 05 and 06. :mad: 05 is a bigger regret than 06, because Tad Morose played 05 as well, and Charles was sick in 06 so the performance suffered.

On to active regrets, that I actually missed with full awareness of them:

1) ProgPower USA IX. Riverside, Andromeda, Iron Savior, Jon Oliva's Pain, Elvenking, Iced Earth, Amorphis, and also Manticora at the pre-party. I had a ticket and everything, but couldn't make it in the end.

2) Maryland Deathfest 2009. BOLT THROWER, and a bunch of other bands I wanted to see. Again, had a ticket. Even had my bus fare all paid for and everything...and had to cancel my plans the weekend before the show.

3) ProgPower USA X. Didn't have a ticket to this one, but, god damn. Crimson Glory, Fates Warning, Pagan's Mind, Orphaned Land, Sabaton, Royal Hunt...it always seems like every year there's so many bands I'd want to see.

4) Destroyer 666 & Vital Remains, and Obituary in September 2009. If I remember correctly, these were both the same night. It's a no brainer which I would have picked (D666 and VR), but couldn't make it to either. I think I had my wisdom teeth taken out that day, and didn't feel much like doing anything but sleeping.

5) Vital Remains & Deicide in February 2009. I think it was originally on a Saturday, and I had every intention of going, but we had some bad weather and it had to be rescheduled, and ended up being on a weeknight. Stupid excuse to miss something this close to my house, but I ended up missing it

6) Opeth & Enslaved, and Gojira in May 2009. Again, they were both the same night. I remember not wanting to drive into Boston for some reason, but couldn't get an accurate route for taking the train & subway (everyone I asked gave me completely different answers), so I skipped on Opeth. I was also too tired from Paganfest the night before, and decided not to take the drive to Worcester for Gojira. I'm an idiot. I really wish I had made it to one of these, now.

7) Leaving before The Misfits and Type O Negative played last year at Rock & Shock. I was there primarily for God Dethroned anyways, and Saint Vitus had just kicked my ass. It was only a week after I had had surgery, and was still in some pain, plus my friend was exhausted and sick. He offered to just call up his mom and let her come get him, but being a good friend, I brought him home. I wanted to see Misfits and Type O, but I was seeing Moonspell the next day in NYC so I figured it would even out. He's become a prick since then, and now I regret doing anything remotely considerate for him and missing two bands for the jackass.

Div
04-11-2010, 07:35 PM
i shouldve seen priest last summer :(

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
04-11-2010, 08:05 PM
Don't really have any concert regrets that I can think of. After going to metal concerts for almost 26 years, I've seen just about every group I've wanted to. Usually multiple times.

I still want to see the Crown. Don't recall them ever coming to Dallas. Now that they're back together, maybe I'll get to.

Akumu
04-11-2010, 08:09 PM
- Blind Guardian in 2006. I had juust seen my first metal show two months prior to this and was itching for another one, but I couldn't make it. Arrgh.

- After Forever in 2007. The closest they played was to forty people at an 18+ club in New Hampshire. I was sixteen at the time. I thought, "Oh, well, they'll come back!" ... and then they broke up. FAIL. :( It's still one of my life goals to see Floor live. (ReVamp tour? maybe? :eyes:)

- Paganfest 2008. Although it was probably a good thing I missed this, considering that all the bands got shafted because of NEMHF, I got into most of these bands last year and severely regret not at least making an effort to go.

- Basically every ProgPower lineup ever.

And I still come across tour dates now and then that make me go "WHAT THE FUCK, WHY DIDN'T I KNOW ABOUT THEM AT THE TIME :mad:". It's not a very nice feeling.

ADD
04-11-2010, 08:29 PM
i shouldve seen priest last summer :(

Better that you didnt they sucked.

IrritatedTrout
04-11-2010, 08:30 PM
Shame that you didnt they kicked ass.

:cool:

ADD
04-11-2010, 08:38 PM
:cool:
Must've been the particular gig.

Latest gig I'm bummed about missing was last nights Slough Feg/Bible of the Devil shred fest here in LA, 21+ :( Last few months of dealing with it.

Maiden33
04-11-2010, 08:40 PM
Frankly I think Priest live sucks all the time. Not in terms of technical performances but in terms of entertainment value. Both times I saw them I was ridiculously bored.

xStructualDefect
04-11-2010, 08:43 PM
i remember reading in the last thread many people regretted not seeing At The Gates. so glad i saw the show here in LA. one of the best shows i've seen.

also: i regret not seeing Carcass on both reunion tours. i mean the only album i really like from them is Heartwork, but from reviews it sounded like they were amazing live.

IrritatedTrout
04-12-2010, 07:17 AM
also: i regret not seeing Carcass on both reunion tours. i mean the only album i really like from them is Heartwork, but from reviews it sounded like they were amazing live.

They were, drove 7 hours to Kentucky to see them and I'm so glad I did.

Frankly I think Priest live sucks all the time. Not in terms of technical performances but in terms of entertainment value. Both times I saw them I was ridiculously bored.

I guess it just depends on how much you like them. They're my second favorite band and both times I've seen them I was entertained to the max. Hell, the first time I saw them was one of my best concerts ever (of course having Testament, Motorhead, and Sabbath on the bill helped).

Uncle_Meat1940
04-12-2010, 07:27 PM
My biggest concert regret of all time was going to Dying Fetus, Necrophagist, and Cannibal Corpse instead of seeing Primus that night. I still don't know what I was thinking. I had tickets before Primus got announced and I didn't want to waste the tickets since I couldn't find anyone to buy them. I've been beating myself up every day since.

Second is Steve Vai, I could have gone to the taping of 'Where the Wild Things Are' that and he hasn't came back since

Third is missing Rush any time they have came since I've been of concert attending age

Fourth is Zappa Plays Zappa's first tour. I am really against the Zappa Family Trust and at the time I didn't want to give them any of my money what so ever. Later I found out who was in the line up. I would have loved to see Steve Vai, Napoleon Murphy Brock, and Terry Bozzio one one stage...

Those are the big ones I can think of for now. I'm still beating myself up for not seeing Prog. Nation 2008 as well cause I've never seen Opeth. : /

Every single one of these shows were due to my being a poor bastard. :(

The Green and Black
04-13-2010, 08:07 AM
I was at that show - most of the crowd was in hysterics laughing at Hammerfall.

I am a fan of Hammerfall and Death, but yeah, I am not surprised that happened. :lame:

Div
04-13-2010, 04:28 PM

are u arguing in favor of theatrics over performance?

Maiden33
04-13-2010, 04:54 PM
are u arguing in favor of theatrics over performance?

No, I'm arguing for their equality in terms of live music value. For example:

Maiden is not a particularly tight live band. Not to say they're sloppy per se, but they're average - some mistakes, but overall a good show. Now take Dream Theater - musically they are absolutely flawless and mind-numbingly tight live. But in the eyes of most (including myself) they are pretty god damn boring. If given the choice, I'd rather see Maiden - because I would rather see an OK live band that makes up for it with theatrics and entertainment than a 100% perfect band that simply stands there and makes me wish I had saved my $50-a-ticket (or whatever) by staying home and just watching a live DVD.

xStructualDefect
04-13-2010, 05:21 PM

Maiden is not a particularly tight live band. Not to say they're sloppy per se, but they're average - some mistakes, but overall a good show. Now take Dream Theater - musically they are absolutely flawless and mind-numbingly tight live. But in the eyes of most (including myself) they are pretty god damn boring. If given the choice, I'd rather see Maiden - because I would rather see an OK live band that makes up for it with theatrics and entertainment than a 100% perfect band that simply stands there and makes me wish I had saved my $50-a-ticket (or whatever) by staying home and just watching a live DVD.

i see what you're saying. when i saw Necrophagist on Summer Slaughter last year they played flawless, but i got bored after awhile. when i saw DragonForce in '06, before all the guitar hero nerds discovered them, the crowd went apeshit for them and were tons of fun, despite how sloppy they were back then.

The Green and Black
04-14-2010, 05:34 AM

i see what you're saying. when i saw Necrophagist on Summer Slaughter last year they played flawless, but i got bored after awhile. when i saw DragonForce in '06, before all the guitar hero nerds discovered them, the crowd went apeshit for them and were tons of fun, despite how sloppy they were back.

Fates Warning is a band I have always really liked, however live I find them quite boring.

Maiden33
04-14-2010, 06:43 AM
Fates Warning is a band I have always really liked, however live I find them quite boring.

I can't wait to be disappointed in that case, haha. I'm driving 4 hours each way to Hartford, CT on June 4th to finally see them.

The Green and Black
04-14-2010, 06:49 AM
I can't wait to be disappointed in that case, haha. I'm driving 4 hours each way to Hartford, CT on June 4th to finally see them.

Oh! That's cool! The last time I saw Fates was when they opened for Savatage on the Poets and Madmen tour. :D