PDA

View Full Version : Peace Sells: progressive record?

TonyD
04-08-2010, 04:27 PM
Discuss.

makethemsuffer12
04-08-2010, 04:46 PM
No.

AnataFan4Life
04-08-2010, 05:05 PM
If anything Rust in Peace would be their "progressive" record

JRA
04-08-2010, 05:51 PM
If anything Rust in Peace would be their "progressive" record

This. Peace Sells was absolutely an evolution, and a brilliant one at that, but progressive?

I'd say the most progressive record of 86 was Somewhere In Time.

DethMaiden
04-08-2010, 05:53 PM
This. Peace Sells was absolutely an evolution, and a brilliant one at that, but progressive?

I'd say the most progressive record of 86 was Somewhere In Time.

If by "the most progressive" you mean "out of Master of Puppets, Peace Sells, Reign in Blood, and Somewhere in Time, the most progressive," but even then I might argue with you on MoP. There was still prog coming out in '86. Hell, Rage for Order by Queensryche is their proggiest record and they're actually a prog metal band.

JRA
04-08-2010, 06:00 PM
Dammit! Caught before I could change it back to Pleasure.

Proggressive isn't supposed to represent a sound consisting of non-stop atmospheric keyboards and guitars, it's supposed to be a synonym for avant- garde. For instance Into The Pandemonium is a progressive record to me. All the "prog bands" of the 70's, they were avant garde for their time.

DethMaiden
04-08-2010, 06:01 PM
Dammit! Caught before I could change it back to Pleasure.

Proggressive isn't supposed to represent a sound consisting of non-stop atmospheric keyboards and guitars, it's supposed to mean pushing metal forward. For instance Into The Pandemonium is a progressive record to me.

Maybe that definition flew in 1969 but I think it's pretty widely accepted what "progressive" means, and it ain't that.

mankvill
04-08-2010, 06:03 PM
Naw.

Sanitarium78
04-08-2010, 06:20 PM
I don't think the album is progressive at all. It doesn't fit into the sound of the genre. But is was a "progression" for Megadeth. On their first album I feel they hadn't quite figured out their sound yet. But with this one they did. When you compare the first two albums this is one of the best and most positive progression's musically a band has made from one album to the next.

So in some ways it is, but it shouldn't be considered part of the prog metal genre.

ADD
04-08-2010, 07:21 PM
Prog as shit. Lemme at whatever your smokin Tony

TonyD
04-08-2010, 08:02 PM
Ok, I wanted to see what everybody had to say before I did my bit, and it looks like pretty much a no. This probably should have gone in the musical truth thread but whatever...

Obviously they're one of the "big four" and the first thing that comes to everybody's mind is "naww dude |v|egadet|-| is thrash". It's a thrash record and if the answer to the thread is yes, I'm not gonna start inserting Dave Mustaine in the same sentence as Rick Wakeman and Frank Zappa. It doesn't have a rediculous concept cover, there aren't synthesizers and the lyrics are pretty much straight forward, but the music is there.

If you throw out the title track and I Ain't Superstitious we can start talking.

ADD
04-08-2010, 08:07 PM
Yeah for sure, it's more progressive musically than SFSGSW, but less than RIP. Gar Samuelson deserves a lot of praise for the jazziness/proginess of earlier Megadeth.

JRA
04-08-2010, 09:42 PM
Ok, I wanted to see what everybody had to say before I did my bit, and it looks like pretty much a no. This probably should have gone in the musical truth thread but whatever...

Obviously they're one of the "big four" and the first thing that comes to everybody's mind is "naww dude |v|egadet|-| is thrash". It's a thrash record and if the answer to the thread is yes, I'm not gonna start inserting Dave Mustaine in the same sentence as Rick Wakeman and Frank Zappa. It doesn't have a rediculous concept cover, there aren't synthesizers and the lyrics are pretty much straight forward, but the music is there.

If you throw out the title track and I Ain't Superstitious we can start talking.

Why the title track?

TonyD
04-08-2010, 09:58 PM
It's basically 2 parts in the same key, not much going on music wise. Still a great song.

Also: 2:18 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wne4yUJp4do)

The Green and Black
04-09-2010, 07:04 AM
Dave Mustaine is not a fish! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry to interrupt, but I found that incredibly funny.
Carry on!

JRA
04-09-2010, 12:36 PM
Dave Mustaine is not a fish! :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Sorry to interrupt, but I found that incredibly funny.
Carry on!

I don't get that at all. Is that supposed to be a reference to the fishsticks South Park episode?

ADD
04-09-2010, 12:37 PM
I don't get that at all. Is that supposed to be a reference to the fishsticks South Park episode?
Hook In Mouth :wallbang:

JRA
04-09-2010, 12:39 PM
Hook In Mouth :wallbang:

OOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHH.

I guess I just haven't heard that song in awhile.:eyes:

zgodt
04-11-2010, 07:11 PM
For my money, Peace Sells is the most musically daring thrash record by Megadeth or anyone. I think it pushes the envelope more than R.I.P. for sure. I don't know what prog means, really. I mean Peace Sells doesn't sound like Yes. But in terms of pushing things forward in new ways, it's an unrivaled masterpiece of the time, second only to Powerslave among 80s metal albums.

ADD
04-11-2010, 09:35 PM
For my money, Peace Sells is the most musically daring thrash record by Megadeth or anyone. I think it pushes the envelope more than R.I.P. for sure. I don't know what prog means, really. I mean Peace Sells doesn't sound like Yes. But in terms of pushing things forward in new ways, it's an unrivaled masterpiece of the time, second only to Powerslave among 80s metal albums.
You hold it in pretty high esteem. It's my favorite Megadeth album too, but I think Rust In Peace is more daring in terms of song arrangements, while perhaps it is true that the individual pieces of the songs on Peace Sells are more progressive/daring. Gnarly riffs/tempo changes on this album, not to mention the leads, not to mention the outstanding drumming. Lyrically it's a cut above the majority of RIP as well.

JRA
04-11-2010, 09:44 PM
but I think Rust In Peace is more daring in terms of song arrangements.

I also think this, but I think the reason why so many people hold Peace Sells in higher esteem than Rust is because on that album, the brutality that was once on Peace was sacrificed for more technical chops. I've only recently come to understand this, but my response is if I want brutality, I'll listen to Kreator.

ADD
04-11-2010, 09:53 PM
I also think this, but I think the reason why so many people hold Peace Sells in higher esteem than Rust is because on that album, the brutality that was once on Peace was sacrificed for more technical chops. I've only recently come to understand this, but my response is if I want brutality, I'll listen to Kreator.
Peace Sells and RIP are different (t)rips than Pleasure to Kill, Terrible Certainty, etc so they each have their place for me.

JRA
04-11-2010, 09:56 PM
Peace Sells and RIP are different (t)rips.

That's exactly my point. People complain "oh there's too much guitar masturbation on Rust," that shit has been a trademark in Megadeth from day one, why the hell were you listening to them in the first place?

I for one, am glad that Dave, in his artistic evolution, didn't sacrifice the chops for more brutality, otherwise he'd be a Slayer clone.

ADD
04-11-2010, 10:06 PM
That's exactly my point. People complain "oh there's too much guitar masturbation on Rust," that shit has been a trademark in Megadeth from day one, why the hell were you listening to them in the first place?

I for one, am glad that Dave, in his artistic evolution, didn't sacrifice the chops for more brutality, otherwise he'd be a Slayer clone.
Yeah, you're right about that too, but it's kinda like inspiration-less Dave 10 good songs, inspiration-less Slayer 3 good songs, might've been better for all involved had they relegated themselves to touring acts primarily and adhered to a strict "quality over quantity" approach.

JRA
04-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Yeah, you're right about that too, but it's kinda like inspiration-less Dave 10 good songs, inspiration-less Slayer 3 good songs, might've been better for all involved had they relegated themselves to touring acts primarily and adhered to a strict "quality over quantity" approach.

Not quite sure what you mean here.