PDA

View Full Version : Musical truths you've recently gleaned

Pages : [1] 2 3

ADD
04-02-2010, 10:37 AM
"Recently" is a relative term, 4 years, 1 day, don't matter, what has been revealed to you as supreme musical truth?

-The Number of the Beast deserves its acclaim as one of the classic heavy metal albums of all time (this was not clear to me until last night)
-Bonham made Zeppelin Zeppelin, Page and Plant suck
-the only classic Priest studio album is Stained Class
-Captain Beyond's "Mesmerization Eclipse" could've and should've been an FM radio staple and you should be sick of hearing it on your local classic rock station
-CCR > Skynyrd
-Freebird > Stairway
-good sober rock doesn't exist exception possibly being Maiden (see the Bill Hicks quote on the subject)

Truth! :D ;)

TonyD
04-02-2010, 10:40 AM
-CCR > Skynyrd

This

-the only classic Priest studio album is Stained Class
-Freebird > Stairway

That's like, your opinion man.

ADD
04-02-2010, 10:43 AM
Aite :cool:

Another one, quite obvious but worth stating that ZZ Top were only ZZ Mothafuckin TOP before the snowstorm synth drum heart attack killed them.

And, Uli Roth > Michael Schenker

mankvill
04-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Slaughter Of The Soul is really, really awesome and probably At The Gates' best record.

IMO, of course.

edit: made the realization of The Number Of The Beast a couple months ago too!

Indestructible
04-02-2010, 11:02 AM

How is saying one of the greatest guitarists ever(Jimmy Page) Didnt help make one of the greatest bands ever(Led Zeppelin) one of the greatest bands ever a musical truth.

IrritatedTrout
04-02-2010, 11:04 AM
Well, most of these (all) are opinions but yeah, we can call em "supreme musical truth" if ya want.;)

- Modern metal fucking sucks.

- Extreme metal (with a few exceptions, Carcass, Mayhem, Bolt Thrower, Immortal, etc) fucking sucks. I used to love black/death metal but within the past year or so I've come to realize that virtually none of it can hold my attention for an entire album. Much of it is so monotonous and the lack of originality is unbearable.

-Led Zep is god tier. I used to dislike them but now I see that was stupid.

- I have a very hard time getting into new bands or recently released albums. I'm very happy with the music I have so when I go to try out a new band if they're not really great my thought is "Fuck this, I could be listening to Mob Rules or South of Heaven right now."

-Pop music is enjoyable if you just listen for the catchy hooks and pretend that other people don't actually believe it takes talent to perform some of those songs (lookin at you, Trey Songz).

-AC/DC doesn't suck. Sure many songs are very samey but when they get it right, they get it right.

-Alice in Chains rules. That is all.

-Hendrix is overrated. Sure he's got a ton of talent but meh, he's not quite as good as everyone says.

-Kiss is god tier as well. I used to subscribe to the whole "Ki$$ is a brand, not a band" mentality but then I saw them live.:drool: Amazing performance. Sure, their songs aren't overly technical by any means, the lyrics are kinda dumb, and they usually play it "safe". You know what you're getting when you spin a Kiss album for the first time, but even so, nobody does it like they do. Oh, and Creatures of the Night is the best Kiss album.:blaze:

-Metallica are still a force to be reckoned with live. Yeah, Lars sucks and James can't sing well anymore but I've never seen a band interact so well with their fans and just act like they're having the time of their lives even though it had to have been the millionth time they've stood on a stage and played those same songs. Much respect.

That was a lot longer than I expected.:eyes: My taste has changed drastically within the past two years so I guess that'd be why.

Indestructible
04-02-2010, 11:04 AM
"-the only classic Priest studio album is Stained Class

And Hell bent for leather,British Steel and Screaming for vengance arent classics.

Indestructible
04-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Most Screaming and growling metal is fucking awful. there is my musical truth.

Natrlhi
04-02-2010, 11:08 AM

No one saw that coming. :rolleyes:

Most Screaming and growling metal is fucking awful. there is my musical opinion.
Fixed.

IrritatedTrout
04-02-2010, 11:10 AM
And Hell bent for leather,British Steel and Screaming for vengance arent classics.

Not that I agree with him but this whole thread is just opinions, no real point in arguing about it.

IrritatedTrout
04-02-2010, 11:13 AM
-The Number of the Beast deserves its acclaim as one of the classic heavy metal albums of all time (this was not clear to me until last night)

Some days I agree with this one and some days I don't. I dunno what it is but I really can't decide how I feel about the album. Of course I love it but I just don't understand how so many people place it above something like 7th Son.

Natrlhi
04-02-2010, 11:13 AM
Mods, please change thread title to "If You Feel Like Starting a Flame War, Post Here". Thanks.

bt11763
04-02-2010, 11:17 AM

I would like to point out your avatar, your argument is invalid.

ChildrenofSodom
04-02-2010, 11:20 AM
Here is my 'musical truths'

-Iron Maiden fanboys, and most other fanboys of anything, really fucking piss me off.
-Led Zeppelin, early Sabbath, Ozzy Osbourne, and every other band that played anything resembling early metal is over-rated.
-People that hate things because they are new are douchebags.
-Power Metal and Progressive Metal and Progressive Power Metal really aren't that different. (sorry Jeff.)
-I really like their music, but I can't tell any Pelican, God is An Astronaut, Red Sparrowes, or Isis songs apart from each other unless I can see the title.
- I don't "get" Burzum.
- I recently realized that most of the bands and musicians I like, particularly Mastodon, are frequent users of drugs that I do not use, and I have a difficult time reconciling that fact. I would love to say that I don't judge them, but something about the fact that they use drugs, and some fans use drugs, to enhance their musical creativity and enjoyment deminishes the music itself to my sober mind.
- I love Iron Maiden, but I tend to feel disgusted when people compliment me on one of their t-shirts. Oh, really, you like the best, most popular metal band of all time? Cool, bro. And this is especially true when that person then goes on to tell me how much they love Guns N Roses, Korn, or Disturbed.

[/off-the-top of the head, douchebag comments.]

EDIT -

- In my increasing nihilism and misanthropy, I have realized how utterly pointless it is, at any point in time, to argue about music.

Maiden33
04-02-2010, 11:23 AM
No one saw that coming. :rolleyes:

I agree with him. :D

The only difference is that I wouldn't have said it here, and if I had, I would've said "I hate most screaming and growling metal" - not that it sucks, in a factual sense. Mercenary rules though, love that band.

makethemsuffer12
04-02-2010, 11:23 AM

Troof.

And Jimmy Page is the most overrated guitar player of all time.

Maiden33
04-02-2010, 11:24 AM
Some days I agree with this one and some days I don't. I dunno what it is but I really can't decide how I feel about the album. Of course I love it but I just don't understand how so many people place it above something like 7th Son.

...or moreso, Somewhere In Time and/or Powerslave.

makethemsuffer12
04-02-2010, 11:36 AM
Another thing I realized is even though Metallica are my favorite band, Metallica fanboys piss me off to no end. You know, the kind of person that thinks "LARS IS DA BEST DRUMMER EVARRR!!!!11" and whose next favorite band is probably Slipknot.

IrritatedTrout
04-02-2010, 11:44 AM
...or moreso, Somewhere In Time and/or Powerslave.

Yeah, basically.

What is it? I can't tell.

makethemsuffer12
04-02-2010, 11:46 AM
What is it? I can't tell.

Five Finger Dick Punch

IrritatedTrout
04-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Five Finger Dick Punch

Gotcha.

JRA
04-02-2010, 11:52 AM
Most Screaming and growling metal is fucking awful.

If you ever quote another line from my diary I will kill you.

Here's my musical truth: In what is commonly referred to as the rock & roll music/songwriting/performing arts industry/business, the idea of "playing for yourself" is complete and utter bullshit. Does not exist. Nope, zero, nada, zilch, fuck you punk rock/hardcore astehtics/Henry Rollins. Does not exist. If you pick up an instrument and are going to play places outside of your house and charge people for it/expect to make a living off it, you play for other people, and you have no business whatsoever playing anything than what your fans tell you to do.

TonyD
04-02-2010, 12:10 PM
Musical truth: I am a motherfucker.

Maiden33
04-02-2010, 12:13 PM
If you ever quote another line from my diary I will kill you.

Here's my musical truth: In what is commonly referred to as the rock & roll music/songwriting/performing arts industry/business, the idea of "playing for yourself" is complete and utter bullshit. Does not exist. Nope, zero, nada, zilch, fuck you punk rock/hardcore astehtics/Henry Rollins. Does not exist. If you pick up an instrument and are going to play places outside of your house and charge people for it/expect to make a living off it, you play for other people, and you have no business whatsoever playing anything than what your fans tell you to do.

I agree with what you just said, except for what I bolded, which I don't agree with at all.

Fires Of Sedition
04-02-2010, 12:18 PM
I've realized that The Offspring is the heaviest band of all time

mankvill
04-02-2010, 12:19 PM
I also think I've come to realize that melodic metalcore is worse than deathcore.

ChildrenofSodom
04-02-2010, 12:27 PM
I also think I've come to realize that melodic metalcore is worse than deathcore.

Examples?

Fires Of Sedition
04-02-2010, 12:28 PM
Also, Five Finger Death Punch have the best lyrics I've ever heard.

mankvill
04-02-2010, 12:30 PM
Examples?

It's just a personal preference, but most melodic metalcore is so predictable with "heavy verses" and "soaring chorus with clean vocals" with some stupid breakdowns thrown in there.

They're both unbearable, but I think it'd take me longer to kill myself at a Suicide Silence performance than a Killswitch Engage performance.

ChildrenofSodom
04-02-2010, 12:46 PM
It's just a personal preference, but most melodic metalcore is so predictable with "heavy verses" and "soaring chorus with clean vocals" with some stupid breakdowns thrown in there.

They're both unbearable, but I think it'd take me longer to kill myself at a Suicide Silence performance than a Killswitch Engage performance.

You're kidding, right? All deathcore sounds the same. All the breakdowns are the same...they are all 'brutal'....so bad.

Sanitarium78
04-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Well, most of these (all) are opinions but yeah, we can call em "supreme musical truth" if ya want.;)

- Modern metal fucking sucks.

- Extreme metal (with a few exceptions, Carcass, Mayhem, Bolt Thrower, Immortal, etc) fucking sucks. I used to love black/death metal but within the past year or so I've come to realize that virtually none of it can hold my attention for an entire album. Much of it is so monotonous and the lack of originality is unbearable.

-Led Zep is god tier. I used to dislike them but now I see that was stupid.

- I have a very hard time getting into new bands or recently released albums. I'm very happy with the music I have so when I go to try out a new band if they're not really great my thought is "Fuck this, I could be listening to Mob Rules or South of Heaven right now."

-AC/DC doesn't suck. Sure many songs are very samey but when they get it right, they get it right.

-Alice in Chains rules. That is all.

-Hendrix is overrated. Sure he's got a ton of talent but meh, he's not quite as good as everyone says.

-Metallica are still a force to be reckoned with live. Yeah, Lars sucks and James can't sing well anymore but I've never seen a band interact so well with their fans and just act like they're having the time of their lives even though it had to have been the millionth time they've stood on a stage and played those same songs. Much respect.

I agree with most of what you've said here. Just a few random thoughts on each one.

Mordern Metal: Has a handful of bands I do like but there isn't anything that impresses the hell out of me too much. Too many bands sounding the same and hardly anyone is creating an individual idenity musically or vocally.

Extreme Metal: The same thing you said. I'll just add that just because something is heavy and brutal doesn't make it good. You have to have good songs in all aspects. Writting something fast and heavy and nothing else doesn't automatically make a song good. There's so much more to song writting than that. You've got singers doing their best cookie monster impression on the mic instead of concentrating on good melodies and hooks to get you into a song. Did any of these guys ever hear of Dickinson, Dio or Halford? WTF?

Led Zeppelin: Are deffinately in a class of their own. Without them and Sabbath we wouldn't have hard rock/metal around as we know it today.

Getting into new bands: I to have a hard time with that. Some stuff just takes time to sink in though. But mostly when I try to listen to some newer bands i'm just like you. I turn it off a lot and just end up listening to so Maiden or something.

AC/DC: They don't suck. Sure they've written the same album for the last 35 years but they still sell millions of records and sell out arenas and stadiums around the world. They're the prime example of the pharase "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

Alice In Chains: Yes, they do rule. They have since the early 90s.

Jimi Hendrix: Was a very good an innovative guitar player. He died young and that's why people hold him so high. That tends to happen when a famous musician dies. People think "what could've been" when it comes to him. He didn't reach his full potential as a muscian when he died at age 27. He didn't accomplish what he "could've" or "should've" and those are the reasons he's praised so much.

Metallica: Always have and always will be a force live. As bad as the Loads and St. Anger were they still killed it live on those tours. They play with more energy than a lot of acts 15-20 years younger than them. When I saw them last year I couldn't believe the energy they put into the show. Considering these guys are gonna be pushing 50 in a few years, that's something for them to be proud of.

mankvill
04-02-2010, 12:48 PM
You're kidding, right? All deathcore sounds the same. All the breakdowns are the same...they are all 'brutal'....so bad.

Meh. I just really hate the clean vocals in melodic metalcore.

6 to 1, half dozen, etc.

makethemsuffer12
04-02-2010, 12:54 PM
I've realized that The Offspring is the heaviest band of all time

Also, Five Finger Death Punch have the best lyrics I've ever heard.

April Fools was yesterday, dude.

Fires Of Sedition
04-02-2010, 12:55 PM
April Fools was yesterday, dude.

I was at work for the majority of yesterday, I'm playing catch up.

IrritatedTrout
04-02-2010, 12:58 PM
I agree with most of what you've said here. Just a few random thoughts on each one.

:agree: I like you.

Indestructible
04-02-2010, 01:33 PM

Atleast when Ivan(Five Finger Death Punch Vocals) Screams you actually know what he is saying.

TonyD
04-02-2010, 01:39 PM
Atleast when Ivan(Five Finger Death Punch Vocals) Screams you actually know what he is saying.

No, but I understand the message.
We're a shitty band

larvtard
04-02-2010, 02:03 PM
...who ever said AC/DC sucks?

JRA
04-02-2010, 02:10 PM
I've recently come to concede that Reign in Blood is Slayer's finest moment. With a couple of stipulations.

1) Show No Mercy comes, very, very, close to matching it in quality.
2) Greatest metal album of all time? No.
3) Most certainly does not excuse Slayer for all the awful trend hoping they did from 1995-2005.

mankvill
04-02-2010, 02:16 PM
I've recently come to concede that Reign in Blood is Slayer's finest moment. With a couple of stipulations.

Me and you have differing opinions!

idrinkwine732
04-02-2010, 02:20 PM
You people are crazy

IrritatedTrout
04-02-2010, 02:31 PM

I've heard quite a few people say it, I used to think it myself.

powerslave_85
04-02-2010, 03:32 PM

1) Show No Mercy comes, very, very, close to matching it in quality.
2) Greatest metal album of all time? No.
3) Most certainly does not excuse Slayer for all the awful trend hoping they did from 1995-2005.
Agreed on all points.

Maiden33
04-02-2010, 03:56 PM

Me, for one.

AC/DC sucks.

SirLardsAlot
04-02-2010, 04:21 PM
I have a boner. Truth.

larvtard
04-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Me, for one.

AC/DC sucks.

Explain.

Maiden33
04-02-2010, 04:37 PM
Explain.

I didn't think this needed much explanation. I could've composed the better part of their entire discography within my first year or playing guitar. Every member of the band is incredibly overrated at what they do, their songs are boring and they all sound the same, generally speaking. There is no band that quite bores/annoys me like them. It should be noted that with only a few exceptions, I basically hate all 70s "Classic Rock".

larvtard
04-02-2010, 04:44 PM
I didn't think this needed much explanation. I could've composed the better part of their entire discography within my first year or playing guitar. Every member of the band is incredibly overrated at what they do, their songs are boring and they all sound the same, generally speaking. There is no band that quite bores/annoys me like them. It should be noted that with only a few exceptions, I basically hate all 70s "Classic Rock".

Just because a band's songs all sound the same doesn't mean the band is bad. If the songs are good, then what's the problem?

But I do realize that's not the only reason you don't like them. They bore you- well, I do admit that's subjective. A song that bores one person may not bore another. I cannot see anybody being bored by AC/DC, but whatever

Maiden33
04-02-2010, 04:51 PM
Just because a band's songs all sound the same doesn't mean the band is bad. If the songs are good, then what's the problem?

But I do realize that's not the only reason you don't like them. They bore you- well, I do admit that's subjective. A song that bores one person may not bore another. I cannot see anybody being bored by AC/DC, but whatever

1) It doesn't necessarily mean the band is BAD, but it does mean the band is uncreative and one-dimensional. Not necessarily by lack of skill, maybe just by choice or not caring.

2) This is why I am bored by AC/DC's music: It's more or less just 4 chords over and over and over -and simple power chords at that. In addition to that it's mind-numbingly simple drumming, non-existent bass playing, and in my opinion incredible overrated simple blues-based lead guitar. For someone who has several years of music theory classes behind them and a lot of knowledge of how the intricacies of music work, to listen to what AC/DC does can really just sound like child's play.

That's about the long and the short of it for me. And I'm not a n00b, I've heard several full-length AC/DC albums, I'm not just judging by the 3 or 4 most popular radio hits.

larvtard
04-02-2010, 05:54 PM
1) It doesn't necessarily mean the band is BAD, but it does mean the band is uncreative and one-dimensional. Not necessarily by lack of skill, maybe just by choice or not caring.

2) This is why I am bored by AC/DC's music: It's more or less just 4 chords over and over and over -and simple power chords at that. In addition to that it's mind-numbingly simple drumming, non-existent bass playing, and in my opinion incredible overrated simple blues-based lead guitar. For someone who has several years of music theory classes behind them and a lot of knowledge of how the intricacies of music work, to listen to what AC/DC does can really just sound like child's play.

That's about the long and the short of it for me. And I'm not a n00b, I've heard several full-length AC/DC albums, I'm not just judging by the 3 or 4 most popular radio hits.

yet they make songs that people can remember...IMO a true sign of musical genius

Maiden33
04-02-2010, 05:58 PM
yet they make songs that people can remember...IMO a true sign of songwriting genius

Fixed. Still not saying I agree, but what you're describing is a songwriting trait, not a musical technicality trait.

bt11763
04-02-2010, 06:31 PM

Yeah tell me about it, i wish that i couldn't :tp:

and that's not a musical truth thats a preference, and a retarded one at that.

EDIT: and he's not screaming thats more of a bark. or a mediocre growl. or a queef.

yeah, a queef is a good way to describe it.

larvtard
04-02-2010, 06:36 PM
Fixed. Still not saying I agree, but what you're describing is a songwriting trait, not a musical technicality trait.

oh yeah, that's what I meant :D
because, you know, Katy Perry isn't a musical genius...

Div
04-02-2010, 07:37 PM
blaze sucks

SomewhereInTime72
04-02-2010, 07:41 PM
i have nothing to contribute to this thread because i already gained the knowledge of all musical truths at my origination at the dawn of time, where i acquiesced and mercifully judged all that will become

TonyD
04-03-2010, 01:18 AM
If you're trying to explain why AC/DC sucks, you've missed the point completeley.
And directly to Maiden33, your taste in metal is pretty exclusive which ends up in arguing apples and oranges too often.

makethemsuffer12
04-03-2010, 04:51 AM
blaze sucks

:agree:

ChildrenofSodom
04-03-2010, 07:21 AM
blaze sucks

If we're speaking our minds here, I never really "got" why people liked Blaze. There is really no comparison to Bruce Dickinson.

mastodon421
04-03-2010, 07:34 AM
Alright i'll join these are more taste preference than facts but whatever.

AC/DC does suck. They are the single most overated band of all time.
Morbid Angel is the single best death metal band of all time.
There are a limted amount of deathcore bands that do the genre justice and the rest rape it horribly.
Rose Funeral is intolerent to card games
(somewhat recent) Behemoth is amazing I don't understand why I used to hate them.
Warbringer never changes their setlist.
The Faceless is the best up and coming band.

JuuKun
04-03-2010, 07:50 AM
"To the Nameless Dead" is a fucking masterpiece, and Primordial deserve to be the biggest, most relatively "successful" band in all of Folk Metal.

Natrlhi
04-03-2010, 08:14 AM
So, in summary - the only actual facts stated thus far in this thread are as follows:

I am a motherfucker.

You people are crazy

I have a boner.

...and none of those have anything to do with music.

:party: Nice work, everyone! ;)

Natrlhi
04-03-2010, 08:37 AM
I've recently come to concede that Reign in Blood is Slayer's finest moment.HOLY FUCK. I think I just felt a rip in the space time continuum. (Or it could just be gas - I don't know.)

ravenheart
04-03-2010, 08:38 AM
"To the Nameless Dead" is a fucking masterpiece, and Primordial deserve to be the biggest, most relatively "successful" band in all of Folk Metal.

I agree with the first part, but not the second, mostly based on them not really being folk metal...

ravenheart
04-03-2010, 08:41 AM
I've recently come to concede that Reign in Blood is Slayer's finest moment.

I still haven't.

SomewhereInTime72
04-03-2010, 09:08 AM
If we're speaking our minds here, I never really "got" why people liked Blaze. There is really no comparison to Bruce Dickinson.

This is pretty much exactly why he's good. Those two albums would have sucked major ass with a Bruce-clone... or even with Bruce possibly.

ChildrenofSodom
04-03-2010, 09:24 AM
This is pretty much exactly why he's good. Those two albums would have sucked major ass with a Bruce-clone... or even with Bruce possibly.

What? I don't like the Blaze albums, or even the first two, nearly as much as the Bruce stuff. Again, my first truth i posted here was that I hate Maiden fanboys, and I will catch hell for this...but when I think Iron Maiden, and when most of the world think Iron Maiden, I don't think The Clansmen or Sign of the Cross (those songs are alright...not saying they are bad.) But I listen to and love Maiden because Bruce finishes the package. Steve and Adrian and Dave and Nicko are/were always awesome....but Bruce seals the deal for me. Do the non-Bruce songs have a place in the catalogue? Absolutely, but I just don't think it compares to Bruce Dickinson.

That being said, I have only listened to a few Bruce solo albums and never really got into them....so maybe I'm just a bitch. :D

powerslave_85
04-03-2010, 09:35 AM
That being said, I have only listened to a few Bruce solo albums and never really got into them....so maybe I'm just a bitch. :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGz3uyCNZCM

ravenheart
04-03-2010, 09:42 AM
Blaze's solo albums are great. 'The X Factor' is great. All of Bruce's solo albums are great.

Does Blaze compare to Bruce as a vocalist? No. Is Blaze still a great vocalist? Yes. Is the Blaze-era Maiden stuff as good as the Bruce-era stuff? Some of it. Not all. Is it as good as the Di'Anno-era stuff? Most of it, not all.

The three things should always be considered separately. Unless you're Journey and try to hire a clone of your most popular singer, when you change vocalist you change your sound, and the new sound should be considered on its own with one simple question "is it a good album?" The question of "is this as good as the old albums?" should never be asked when considering the quality of the album, only as a discussion point.

And that's why 'Death Magnetic' is awesome, and you all suck.

Wait... different argument ;)

ChildrenofSodom
04-03-2010, 09:47 AM
The three things should always be considered separately.

I don't think you can that though. Yes, all three singers are different....but it is mostly the same musicians (Steve at least). I am not saying Dianno and Blaze are terrible singers, but in the big picture of IRON MAIDEN, Bruce is the best of the three.

JuuKun
04-03-2010, 10:11 AM
I agree with the first part, but not the second, mostly based on them not really being folk metal...

Yeah, I wasn't sure exactly how to say it, but they're not really a Black Metal band either. They're not Folk in the sense that a lot of people consider Folk Metal, more of a Celtic Folk type of deal, but I wouldn't really classify anything but the old stuff Black Metal.

xStructualDefect
04-03-2010, 11:30 AM
let's see how many flame wars i start.

- i realized pretty much all death metal bands bore me. sure they slay live (Dying Fetus, Cannibal Corpse, Behemoth, Suffocation) but after trying so many times i can't get into the studio work. it bores me quickly and makes me want to change it. weird thing is that sometimes deathcore bands appeal to me more than actual death metal bands.

- metalheads need to realize that everyone has different music tastes. not everyone is has the same musical tastes. for example I would rather listen to Korn than Iron Maiden. Maiden are gods and are very talented, but Korn appeals to me a lot more, probably for them being my favorite band for 10 years and my gateway to metal. i would also rather listen to Suicide Silence than Cannibal Corpse. i know CC are death metal gods and are very talented, and that SS isn't creative at all, but i find SS more fun to listen to.

- my musical tastes expand as time goes by. for example i used to be able to not stand any extreme metal but now i love a lot of extreme metal bands. but for the most part it's either the band interests me or not. because even though i like a lot of extreme metal there's a lot of extreme metal bands that can't hold my attention for a minute. maybe in a year or so i'll be able to listen to death metal without it boring me.

- i also realized that even if a band is extremely talented, the band may still bore me. what catches my attention is a hook for the most part, or a memorable riff. for example i can't listen to death metal without it boring me. Necrophagist fucking shreds and are very talented, but their music bores me after a bit. Decrepit Birth on the other hand shreds and their riffs are very memorable IMO.

- i also realized i really don't like listening to metal when i'm at a party or any type of drinking situatiion with friends, unless i'm drinking with only guys who also like metal. if you play metal at a party or drinking sitatuion it sets an akward vibe because not everyone likes it. i would much rather listen to Lady Gaga or LFMAO than any metal band at a party or kickback.

ChildrenofSodom
04-03-2010, 11:37 AM
- i also realized i really don't like listening to metal when i'm at a party or any type of drinking situatiion with friends, unless i'm drinking with only guys who also like metal. if you play metal at a party or drinking sitatuion it sets an akward vibe because not everyone likes it. i would much rather listen to Lady Gaga or LFMAO than any metal band at a party or kickback.

I've never wanted to drink to a metal song...just thought about that...weird.

xStructualDefect
04-03-2010, 11:43 AM
I've never wanted to drink to a metal song...just thought about that...weird.

when you're drinking with friends who also like metal it's fun and gets you pumped, but when it's with friends who don't like it it sets a very akward vibe.

DethMaiden
04-03-2010, 12:12 PM
tl;dr @ thread

My belief is that there is no musical truth. More than any other thing that people might enjoy, it comes down to taste. People who like a billion kinds of music can agree that certain movies, TV shows, books, etc. are great, but you will never convince me that metal isn't the greatest music genre of all time. Why? Because I love listening to metal more than anything else. I sat in a car on a trip to St. Louis for about nine hours round trip and about six or seven songs came on that I liked that entire time, and there was music constantly playing. The other four people in the car sang along to every goddamn song that I hated/had never heard. However, when "The Number of the Beast", "Thick As a Brick", "Roundabout", "The Spirit of Radio", and "Tom Sawyer" came on, I was singing all alone. That has to be evidence that there is no supreme musical truth.

Oh, my other musical truth is that Lamb of God fucking sucks. :)

DethMaiden
04-03-2010, 12:21 PM
-good sober rock doesn't exist exception possibly being Maiden (see the Bill Hicks quote on the subject)

From the Tool song? It's a funny quote, but I disagree wholeheartedly. I don't know which bands I like do drugs when they write and which don't, but I have NEVER taken in music in an impaired state, and I would argue that I love music more than most.

(didn't really wanna fight but had to say something sorry :D)

Sanitarium78
04-03-2010, 12:36 PM
I've come to realise that Cannibal Corpse is EXTREMELY OVERRATED by their fans. The lyrics for all their songs are the same. How many times can you write about murder, necrophilia and eating dead bodies? There's only so many ways you can do that before it gets boring and they reached that by their fourth album. We get it you're trying to be controversial and shocking. The only problem is though they're not at all. What they write about isn't anything I haven't seen in some cheesy horror movie before and that's all their lyrics are is cheesy horror. I've seen them live before and I didn't feel this whole "musical brutality" they're supposed to have all the time. I was paying attention to and trying to give them a chance but I felt nothing at all.

I used to think Brave New World was better than Dance Of Death. Mainly because BNW was so huge for Maiden being their come back with Bruce and being the Iron Maiden everyone wanted them to be again. It held a special place for me a long time. Recently though i've noticed that DOD is a better album, Not that I ever thought it was a bad album to begin with. But there's a few on BNW I can do without (TM, TFA and OOTSP) when I listen to it but DOD doesn't have a track I would skip. Begining to end it's the better album and while it took me a few years to realize this i've come around to the beleif that it's the better album.

Paschendale is such an awesome song I almost cry every time I hear it. That is all.

ADD
04-03-2010, 01:02 PM
8 pages

idrinkwine732
04-03-2010, 01:03 PM
From the Tool song? It's a funny quote, but I disagree wholeheartedly. I don't know which bands I like do drugs when they write and which don't, but I have NEVER taken in music in an impaired state, and I would argue that I love music more than most.

(didn't really wanna fight but had to say something sorry :D)

What quote is this?

mankvill
04-03-2010, 01:04 PM
That xStructuralDefect is always WRONG!

ADD
04-03-2010, 01:04 PM
What quote is this?
"See I think drugs have done some good things for us. If you don't think drugs have done good things for us then do me a favor. Go home tonight and take all of your records, tapes and all your CD's and burn them. Because, you know all those musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreal fucking high on drugs, man."

Indestructible
04-03-2010, 01:13 PM
I've come to realise that Cannibal Corpse is EXTREMELY OVERRATED by their fans. The lyrics for all their songs are the same. How many times can you write about murder, necrophilia and eating dead bodies? There's only so many ways you can do that before it gets boring and they reached that by their fourth album. We get it you're trying to be controversial and shocking. The only problem is though they're not at all.

They might be shocking and controversial if they used clean vocals.

SerpentineVIVIVI
04-03-2010, 01:18 PM

Shutup.

xStructualDefect
04-03-2010, 01:19 PM
That xStructuralDefect is always WRONG!

That mankvill doesn't understand another person's perspective and gets mad when someone has a different perspective than his own.

ADD
04-03-2010, 01:20 PM
I've come to realise that Cannibal Corpse is EXTREMELY OVERRATED by their fans. The lyrics for all their songs are the same. How many times can you write about murder, necrophilia and eating dead bodies? There's only so many ways you can do that before it gets boring and they reached that by their fourth album. We get it you're trying to be controversial and shocking. The only problem is though they're not at all. What they write about isn't anything I haven't seen in some cheesy horror movie before and that's all their lyrics are is cheesy horror. I've seen them live before and I didn't feel this whole "musical brutality" they're supposed to have all the time. I was paying attention to and trying to give them a chance but I felt nothing at all.

So what if their lyrics are all the same, how many rock/metal songs are about war or social injustice or death or partying or rock n roll, some people are fascinated by gore and the visceral side of nature, let them exploit it explore it and enjoy it, while you can go cry over a song about a war.

"Laying low in a blood filled trench" vs. "Getting blown by a blood sucking wench", its all good

xStructualDefect
04-03-2010, 01:21 PM
"See I think drugs have done some good things for us. If you don't think drugs have done good things for us then do me a favor. Go home tonight and take all of your records, tapes and all your CD's and burn them. Because, you know all those musicians who made all that great music that's enhanced your lives throughout the years? Rrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreal fucking high on drugs, man."

Third Eye, great song. and i definently agree with this quote. not with all bands, but there's a good amount from the past.

SomewhereInTime72
04-03-2010, 01:33 PM

You know, I can understand death vocals just fine. I don't understand how you can say the lyrics are impossible to understand, unless you don't actually listen to the music at all...

Maiden33
04-03-2010, 01:45 PM
You know, I can understand death vocals just fine. I don't understand how you can say the lyrics are impossible to understand, unless you don't actually listen to the music at all...

I don't know, I gotta disagree. I guess it's just because of my lack of exposure, but I have massive trouble understanding most death vocals, with only a few exceptions. As I said - it probably has more to do with the fact that I never listen to them than anything else.

mankvill
04-03-2010, 01:52 PM
I don't know, I gotta disagree. I guess it's just because of my lack of exposure, but I have massive trouble understanding most death vocals, with only a few exceptions. As I said - it probably has more to do with the fact that I never listen to them than anything else.

I think it is lack of exposure. Back in the day I couldn't understand death metal at all. Now, I can understand Anaal Nathrakh.

idrinkwine732
04-03-2010, 02:10 PM
I think it is lack of exposure. Back in the day I couldn't understand death metal at all. Now, I can understand Anaal Nathrakh.

I have death metal vox down, but I can't get Nathrakh at all

mastodon421
04-03-2010, 02:35 PM
When it comes to death vocals there are only very few I can't understand now. Most notably Barnes-era Cannibal Corpse and Pig Destroyer.

ChildrenofSodom
04-03-2010, 02:38 PM

There was another comedian that was arguing that people always say we need to stop drugs to 'save the kids'....but drugs have done wonders for music...so there has to be a trade off. How kid lives is Darkside of the Moon worth? 50?

xStructualDefect
04-03-2010, 02:40 PM
i've realized metalheads on the internet are fucking douchebags. on almost every metal youtube video or on websites like blabbermouth, metalsucks, smnnews, everyone is talking shit saying what bands aren't true metal and that the fans are retarted for listening to something that's not true metal. some people need to shut the fuck up and let people listen to what they want. one can only act so tough behind a keyboard.

JRA
04-03-2010, 02:53 PM

Bill Hicks wouldn't like 80's hardcore very much. (at least not Minor Threat.)

This.

Damn, I thought the only people left who liked CCR were my Mom and Dad. :hecho:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VaJ47l1y9Y

This > all CCR songs.

SomewhereInTime72
04-03-2010, 02:58 PM

It's probably lack of exposure, I guess. But it's the same thing as a person with an accent though really. I've had math professors in school that had absurdly thick Russian accents, which didn't faze me whatsoever (lol brooklyn) - but the kids from Long Island who hadn't ever really dealt with that before, they spend the entire first half of the semester complaining I CANT UNDERSTAND ANYTHING HE SAYS THIS SUUUUUCKS. I think death vocals are pretty much the same way. Because of that, I can totally understand not liking them because of the sound itself, but complaining that they're impossible to understand is like hating certain power metal singers because their finnish accents are hard to understand. :tongue:
i've realized metalheads on the internet are fucking douchebags. on almost every metal youtube video or on websites like blabbermouth, metalsucks, smnnews, everyone is talking shit saying what bands aren't true metal and that the fans are retarted for listening to something that's not true metal. some people need to shut the fuck up and let people listen to what they want. one can only act so tough behind a keyboard.

It's not just the internet.

xStructualDefect
04-03-2010, 03:15 PM
It's not just the internet.

it happens the most on the internet though. i noticed most people only talk shit on the internet but rarely do it in person.

powerslave_85
04-03-2010, 03:28 PM
I will not tolerate any CCR bashing.

JRA
04-03-2010, 04:02 PM
I will not tolerate any CCR bashing.

Dammit, you too?

ravenheart
04-03-2010, 04:27 PM
I don't think you can that though. Yes, all three singers are different....but it is mostly the same musicians (Steve at least). I am not saying Dianno and Blaze are terrible singers, but in the big picture of IRON MAIDEN, Bruce is the best of the three.

Agree. But that doesn't make the other two bad, or the albums Maiden made with the other two bad. And because of that, I totally get why people like Blaze, which was your original point.

Bruce is better and I doubt many people would deny that. But the material with Blaze was still good (most of it anyway), so it doesn't matter that better material exists (with Bruce), that stuff is still good.

Plus, his solo stuff is excellent.

ADD
04-03-2010, 04:29 PM
Bill Hicks wouldn't like 80's hardcore very much. (at least not Minor Threat.)

I have a feeling he would've liked them very much, or probably he did like them.

Damn, I thought the only people left who liked CCR were my Mom and Dad. :hecho:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VaJ47l1y9Y

This > all CCR songs.

That shit is weak as fuck, get real http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_y-CHghv3w

JRA
04-03-2010, 04:30 PM
Someday, I will get myself a Blaze solo album. He was a good singer in his own right and doesn't deserve half the crap he gets.

ravenheart
04-03-2010, 04:33 PM
Someday, I will get myself a Blaze solo album. He was a good singer in his own right and doesn't deserve half the crap he gets.

'The Tenth Dimension' was always my favourite.

ravenheart
04-03-2010, 04:33 PM

Truth.

That's why I never read what anyone has to say on those sites. In fact, I never even read those sites.

ADD
04-03-2010, 04:35 PM
Unfortunately metalheads are stupid just like most people. Just because someone has good taste in music doesn't mean we'll get along.

ravenheart
04-03-2010, 04:35 PM
let's see how many flame wars i start.

- i realized pretty much all death metal bands bore me. sure they slay live (Dying Fetus, Cannibal Corpse, Behemoth, Suffocation) but after trying so many times i can't get into the studio work. it bores me quickly and makes me want to change it. weird thing is that sometimes deathcore bands appeal to me more than actual death metal bands.

- metalheads need to realize that everyone has different music tastes. not everyone is has the same musical tastes. for example I would rather listen to Korn than Iron Maiden. Maiden are gods and are very talented, but Korn appeals to me a lot more, probably for them being my favorite band for 10 years and my gateway to metal. i would also rather listen to Suicide Silence than Cannibal Corpse. i know CC are death metal gods and are very talented, and that SS isn't creative at all, but i find SS more fun to listen to.

- my musical tastes expand as time goes by. for example i used to be able to not stand any extreme metal but now i love a lot of extreme metal bands. but for the most part it's either the band interests me or not. because even though i like a lot of extreme metal there's a lot of extreme metal bands that can't hold my attention for a minute. maybe in a year or so i'll be able to listen to death metal without it boring me.

- i also realized that even if a band is extremely talented, the band may still bore me. what catches my attention is a hook for the most part, or a memorable riff. for example i can't listen to death metal without it boring me. Necrophagist fucking shreds and are very talented, but their music bores me after a bit. Decrepit Birth on the other hand shreds and their riffs are very memorable IMO.

I think I agree with almost everything here. Except the last bit, because no music makes me want to drink. Including metal. I just don't equate the two things.

Drinking isn't a hobby. Learn this.

ravenheart
04-03-2010, 04:36 PM
Unfortunately metalheads are stupid just like most people.

Yes. I hate people. Seriously. Almost all of them.

ADD
04-03-2010, 04:43 PM
A good memory of my early high school years was when my friend and I blasted Slayer and Darkthrone over the expensive rented sound system this chick had at her fancy classy birthday party, back then though it was about being contrarian and pissing off all these people we hated, now it's different but I still hate em just the same :D

SomewhereInTime72
04-03-2010, 04:43 PM
Drinking isn't a hobby. Learn this.
there goes all the wine and beer aficionados out there...

ravenheart
04-03-2010, 04:44 PM
there goes all the wine and beer aficionados out there...

An attempt at finding an acceptable term for "alcoholic".

ADD
04-03-2010, 04:45 PM
No shit man don't we all. Love em all and hate em all at the same time. Hate what they often choose to be, love the potential for what they can be and love those who are.

es156
04-03-2010, 04:46 PM

Same here. It just gets worse the older I get.

ADD
04-03-2010, 04:46 PM
No some people dig good brew and fine wine, they ain't alcoholics, they're "aficionados" :D

SomewhereInTime72
04-03-2010, 04:50 PM
As an alcoholic drink, wine can affect the consumer's judgment. As such, at formal tastings, where dozens of wines may be assessed, wine tasters generally spit the wine out after they have assessed its quality.

Sanitarium78
04-03-2010, 06:27 PM
So what if their lyrics are all the same, how many rock/metal songs are about war or social injustice or death or partying or rock n roll, some people are fascinated by gore and the visceral side of nature, let them exploit it explore it and enjoy it, while you can go cry over a song about a war.

"Laying low in a blood filled trench" vs. "Getting blown by a blood sucking wench", its all good

I guess it's just the way the song are arranged. Even though Maiden has written numerous songs about war, all of the songs sound original and have a genuine individuality to them. I don't feel that at all, not only about Cannibal Corpse but with the Death Metal genre as a whole. Much like a lot of the modern day metal bands there's way too many bands sounding the same and not enough of them creating their own idenity to seperate themselves from the pack at all.

The main reason a song like Paschendale gets that kind of emotion out of me is because my grandfather is a WW II veteran. Yes, I know the song is about a battle in WW I but he faced the simular hardships when he served as well. When I hear songs about war like that I think about the stories he's told me about his service and the sacrifices he made and how lucky he was to have survived and made it home and to still be alive today. That's why I don't think it's a big deal to admit a song like that gets me a little choked up.

bt11763
04-03-2010, 07:43 PM
Same here. It just gets worse the older I get.

Personally, misanthropy has made my life so much better.

es156
04-03-2010, 08:33 PM
Personally, misanthropy has made my life so much better.

I guess I thought I would get more tolerant of people as I got older, but that has certainly not been the case.

:mad:

ChildrenofSodom
04-03-2010, 08:55 PM
People suck. Alot.

bt11763
04-03-2010, 09:35 PM
I guess I thought I would get more tolerant of people as I got older, but that has certainly not been the case.

i can attest to that lol.

i like to seek out grief or just general and even mild misfortune on those whom i have to be around and can't stand. i mean i hate them anyway, so i might as well make the best of it :demonwing

idrinkwine732
04-03-2010, 10:06 PM
All the good shows come here, but only on days where it's absolutley impossible for me to go.

daimonos
04-04-2010, 05:37 AM
After listening to the "Alien" album by Strapping Young Lad, I can tell you that Devin Townsend is a production genius!

ChildrenofSodom
04-04-2010, 07:37 AM
After listening to the "Alien" album by Strapping Young Lad, I can tell you that Devin Townsend is a production genius!

I've heard a rumor (someone here can confirm or dispell this) but I heard Devin hates his SYL work and is on a sabbatical from music because he did all that music while he was drugs/drunk....he is supposedly pissed about that, and now he is trying to write music sober.

Sanitarium78
04-04-2010, 09:25 AM

The same here. I'll be 32 this summer and ever since i've been about 20, year after year i've become less tolerant of people in general. That's the big reason I do the overnight shift at my job. The less contact i have with the world in general the happier I seem to be.

Maiden33
04-04-2010, 09:48 AM
The two best things in this thread have definitely been the nearly universal hatred of people and Ravenheart's thoughts about drinking.

jerry1013
04-04-2010, 10:06 AM
Fergie sings the best song on Slash's new album....

TonyD
04-04-2010, 10:10 AM
I've heard a rumor (someone here can confirm or dispell this) but I heard Devin hates his SYL work and is on a sabbatical from music because he did all that music while he was drugs/drunk....he is supposedly pissed about that, and now he is trying to write music sober.

He doesn't hate it, he realized it was a step in his life to get where he is now. I don't think he's proud of the fact that he either was under the influence or intentionally cutting himself off from his medication to treat bipolar disorder. He said The New Black was kind of a joke because unlike City or Alien, it was just heavy for the sake of being heavy instead of representing what he was going through at the time, and any more SYL material would have been the same.

This is all from what I've heard in interviews or whatnot so I'm pretty sure about this, but Devin might be able to correct me.

Also, I've been thinking about the Stairway vs. Freebird thing again. The consensus last time was "Freebird is blues based, Stairway is for neo-classical faries", but I'm 100% sure I'll take Stairway any day because it has an actual progression to it instead of 3 minutes of soft, 3 minutes of loud, 3 minutes of louder.

ADD
04-04-2010, 10:35 AM
Also, I've been thinking about the Stairway vs. Freebird thing again. The consensus last time was "Freebird is blues based, Stairway is for neo-classical faries", but I'm 100% sure I'll take Stairway any day because it has an actual progression to it instead of 3 minutes of soft, 3 minutes of loud, 3 minutes of louder.

Legit point.

mastodon421
04-04-2010, 12:25 PM
Here is an actual truth...

I would go to more shows in Worcester if I lived closer.

rjturtle9
04-04-2010, 12:41 PM
Musical truth: The medics at the Hollywood Palladium are some of the nicest people ever :hug:

ravenheart
04-04-2010, 04:01 PM
Hate what they often choose to be, love the potential for what they can be and love those who are.

No truer statement in this thread. Or any other.

And how many do we each know who are? Ten? Tops?

Wizzbang11
04-04-2010, 04:31 PM
-With the sole exception of Municipal Waste, not one good (or even decent) thrash metal band was formed in the 2000-2010 decade.
-99% of 1 man black metal bands suck. 80% of black metal is awful.
-Anything metal that is commonly described as "new", "technical", "progressive", "groove", "-core" or "melodic" is probably unlistenably bad.

makethemsuffer12
04-04-2010, 04:34 PM
-With the sole exception of Municipal Waste, not one good (or even decent) thrash metal band was formed in the 2000-2010 decade.

http://www.metalinjection.net/photos/warbringer_warwithoutend.jpg

Shut the fuck up.

Wizzbang11
04-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Warbringer's first album was good.
The next one sucked.
Even at their best they were still tired run of the mill thrash.
They would have been much better sticking to Cirith Ungo covers.

DethMaiden
04-04-2010, 04:39 PM
New thrash facts:
-Municipal Waste is bad because "party thrash" is bad.
-Toxic Holocaust is good because nobody else is doing that sound and it actually kicks ass.
-Skeletonwitch is fantastic but shouldn't be lumped in new thrash.
-The rest aren't even worth talking about they're so insincere.

Wizzbang11
04-04-2010, 04:44 PM
New thrash facts:
-Toxic Holocaust is good because nobody else is doing that sound and it actually kicks ass.

Correct, except there are quite a few people doing the TH sound (really just 80's blackened thrash mixed with punk), just no one gives a shit about them because they aren't on relapse and you can't buy their shirts at Hot Topic.

Party thrash is bad, but Municipal Waste makes great music. At least they did for 3 albums.

mankvill
04-04-2010, 04:44 PM
My new thrash revelations:

- I love new thrash, even if it is a gimmick.
- I think Warbringer is the best new thrash band, live and in studio.
- Skeletonwitch shouldn't be lumped in with new thrash bands.
- Blackened thrash metal is my new favorite genre.
- The only time I don't like new thrash bands is when the bands try and imitate Baloff vocals (sup Gama Bomb).

mastodon421
04-04-2010, 04:46 PM

- The only time I don't like new thrash bands is when the bands try and imitate Baloff vocals (sup Gama Bomb).

This very well put. The only think I disagree with is Warbringer being the best. They are very good but I don't think they are the best.

mankvill
04-04-2010, 04:47 PM
This very well put. The only think I disagree with is Warbringer being the best. They are very good but I don't think they are the best.

I just love their energy on record and especially on stage. I also think the vocals are pretty good too.

Wizzbang11
04-04-2010, 04:48 PM

Aggghh.
It's a gimmick and I hate it and the people who like it make me want to not like the few new thrash bands I do like. They are as bad a scene kids, their music is just slightly better. I'm going to a Thrash festival Saturday and the only tolerable bands is Toxic Holocaust, it's really going to test my patience with people.

mankvill
04-04-2010, 04:51 PM
Aggghh.
It's a gimmick and I hate it and the people who like it make me want to not like the few new thrash bands I do like. They are as bad a scene kids, their music is just slightly better. I'm going to a Thrash festival Saturday and the only tolerable bands is Toxic Holocaust, it's really going to test my patience with people.

Bonded By Blood and Fueled By Fire are on it too and they'd be fun. Just take it for what it is and try and have fun headbanging. :D

mastodon421
I just love their energy on record and especially on stage. I also think the vocals are pretty good too.

They are a great live band. Saw them last year with Kreator and Exodous. Now if they would only switch up their setlist a bit:eyes:

Indestructible
The same here. I'll be 32 this summer and ever since i've been about 20, year after year i've become less tolerant of people in general. That's the big reason I do the overnight shift at my job. The less contact i have with the world in general the happier I seem to be.

You can be tolerant of other people and be happy with more contact with the world if you choose to be. If you choose to be intolerant and have little contact with the outside world than thats how it will be. If you choose to be tolerant and enjoy the contact you have with the outside world than that will make life very easy and happy. I know people your age who say they enjoy less contact with others and they might a little but inside I think they would enjoy a little more human contact because it would make for a better,easier and happier life I think they would be better off enjoying everything instead of hating it. Im 17 and I use to be intolerant and hate alot of people but after about 4 1/2 years of hating things and meeting a few new people I have realized I want to be tolerant of others and enjoy the world with human contact not hate it I dont know who you are so I cant really say if you hate the world or not Im just judging from what you said about you being happier with the less contact you have with the world and from experience with people I know. If you understand my point then maybe it can help you.

That being said lets get back on topic with musical truths. I have found that there is to much screaming and growling in metal these days and not enough clean vocals. Some bands that scream and growl I like and listen to(Lamb Of God,In Flames,Shadows Fall). Some bands that scream and growl are just awful and I think they disgrace the great metal genre(Cannibal Corpse,Behemoth,Whitechaple). I also hate when bands that scream and growl cover Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath songs because all they do is scream and growl threw it. When a screaming and or growling band covers Sabbath and Maiden they disgrace the two bands who helped/influenced them to play. Also some modern bands I like do sound the same vocally. Bands like killswitch and All that Remains who combine the screaming and clean singing sound the same. We need something a little bit new in modern metal that is diffrent from that.

Wizzbang11
04-04-2010, 04:52 PM
Bonded By Blood and Fueled By Fire are on it too and they'd be fun. Just take it for what it is and try and have fun headbanging. :D

Fueled By Fire I can deal with, Bonded by Blood....might as well be Evile or any other awful retro melodic thrash band. No.

mankvill
04-04-2010, 04:54 PM
They are a great live band. Saw them last year with Kreator and Exodous. Now if they would only switch up their setlist a bit:eyes:

WAR
TO END
ALL
WARS!

KILL
WITH NO
REMORSE!

@Wizzbang: Just try and have fun ya grump. :finger:

Symbolic
04-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Musical Truth: Slayers best album is Hell Awaits

Wizzbang11
04-04-2010, 04:55 PM
@Wizzbang: Just try and have fun ya grump. :finger:

Oh, I will have fun!

for the last hour of it
Even if it's just 40 min of Toxic Holocaust it's worth the $15 and I think seeing any sort of band is usually better than doing nothing.

mankvill
04-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Oh, I will have fun!

for the last hour of it

I'll hop on a plane and come down for it and make you circle pit with me to EVERY

SINGLE

BAND

Indestructible
04-04-2010, 04:57 PM
Musical Truth: Slayers best album is Hell Awaits

Good album but slayer really only had 3 great albums. Reign In Blood,South of heaven and Seasons in the Abyss. The other albums are good to just not great. While the albums after seasons are good they arent that great at all.

makethemsuffer12
04-04-2010, 05:07 PM
Some bands that scream and growl are just awful and I think they disgrace the great metal genre(Cannibal Corpse,Behemoth,Whitechaple).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3y3QoFnqZc

And how dare you group Cannibal Corpse and Behemoth with poser shit like Whitechapel. Shame on you.:nonono:

Indestructible
04-04-2010, 05:18 PM

And how dare you group Cannibal Corpse and Behemoth with poser shit like Whitechapel. Shame on you.:nonono:

Does it really matter when all they do is scream and growl. Where is the melody. Sometimes when I listen to bands like that im waiting and just hoping there is a melodic part in the song but there isnt. Melodic singing is one key part that makes the metal genre.

Wizzbang11
04-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Does it really matter when all they do is scream and growl. Where is the melody. Sometimes when I listen to bands like that im waiting and just hoping there is a melodic part in the song but there isnt. Melodic singing is one key part that makes the metal genre.

What the fuck are you talking about.

SomewhereInTime72
04-04-2010, 05:37 PM
Where is the melody.

A) There is melody. Pay attention when you're listening. I bet you can sing at least sing the riff that's being played. Not to mention that pigeonholing any instrument to one specific role, vocals included, is boring.

B) This is a question and you should end it with a question mark.

Indestructible
04-04-2010, 05:38 PM
What the fuck are you talking about.

To sum it up I hate mostly all screaming and growling.

Indestructible
04-04-2010, 05:40 PM
A) There is melody. Pay attention when you're listening. I bet you can sing at least sing the riff that's being played. Not to mention that pigeonholing any instrument to one specific role, vocals included, is boring.

I like melodic singing. I assume when the growling and screaming thing dirst started they wanted to do something with vocals that hasnt been done before but for alot of bands that turned out to be a bad idea.

ADD
04-04-2010, 06:00 PM
New thrash facts:

There are issues here. 1st, "party thrash" is bad? You don't like to party and you don't like to thrash, nor do you like combining the two? That ain't right. Its got its time and place like everything. 2nd, nobody else is doing the "Toxic Holocaust sound" ( :lol: )? That ain't right either, nor do they have a unique sound by any stretch. Skeletonwitch ain't fantastic, they're mediocre power metal with those kinda vocals instead of falsetto, and they shouldn't be lumped in with new thrash because they ain't thrash. Finally, what is "sincere"? If growing your hair long and living in a van and making no money playing music that 99% of the world is oblivious to in some dive bar each night is insincere then I don't wanna know sincereity.

ADD
04-04-2010, 06:03 PM
No truer statement in this thread. Or any other.

And how many do we each know who are? Ten? Tops?
I love those who choose their way and live by it regardless of whether I personally agree with their way or not, for I have my own that they may not agree with either. Too many people eschew their freedom of choice, or think that things are only one way.

DethMaiden
04-04-2010, 06:12 PM
There are issues here. 1st, "party thrash" is bad? You don't like to party and you don't like to thrash, nor do you like combining the two? That ain't right. Its got its time and place like everything. 2nd, nobody else is doing the "Toxic Holocaust sound" ( :lol: )? That ain't right either, nor do they have a unique sound by any stretch. Skeletonwitch ain't fantastic, they're mediocre power metal with those kinda vocals instead of falsetto, and they shouldn't be lumped in with new thrash because they ain't thrash. Finally, what is "sincere"? If growing your hair long and living in a van and making no money playing music that 99% of the world is oblivious to in some dive bar each night is insincere then I don't wanna know sincereity.

:lol: Yeah, you pretty much tore down everything I said with that one. I don't care enough about any of it to argue, so I'll just keep doing what I'm doing. :cool:

Indestructible
04-04-2010, 06:21 PM

People suck but try to find some people that you can tolerate.

Sanitarium78
04-04-2010, 06:48 PM
You can be tolerant of other people and be happy with more contact with the world if you choose to be. If you choose to be intolerant and have little contact with the outside world than thats how it will be. If you choose to be tolerant and enjoy the contact you have with the outside world than that will make life very easy and happy. I know people your age who say they enjoy less contact with others and they might a little but inside I think they would enjoy a little more human contact because it would make for a better,easier and happier life I think they would be better off enjoying everything instead of hating it. Im 17 and I use to be intolerant and hate alot of people but after about 4 1/2 years of hating things and meeting a few new people I have realized I want to be tolerant of others and enjoy the world with human contact not hate it I dont know who you are so I cant really say if you hate the world or not Im just judging from what you said about you being happier with the less contact you have with the world and from experience with people I know. If you understand my point then maybe it can help you.

I get your point though you took the long way to get there. Honestly, I am tolerant of most people weather they're different than me or not. I just choose to have less contact with people because it's just my personal preference. I know people who make friends with everyone. That's who they are and i'm fine with that. I've tried to be the nice friendly guy before in life and I wasn't that comfortable with it. So I just stuck with what felt right to me. The pharase "to each his own" comes to mind here.

Now onto the whole screaming/growling vocal debate. It's not my thing at all. The only band with a full time growler I listen to is Lamb Of God. But what you need to keep in mind is that when some people were first exposed to metal it may not have been a band with clean vocals. If a band like Behemoth was your first taste of metal, you're gonna favor that vocal style because that's what opened your eyes to the metal world. I on the other hand grew up as a little kid in the 80s hearing the metal that my older brother and his friends were listening to. So naturally, when I started collecting metal albums, I gravitated towards band like Maiden and the big four among others. That's what I knew to be metal so that's what I went with and that's what I stick with today. The same can be said for someone who got into metal by first hearing growlers, when they go to collect albums they're also looking for bands the same style becasue that's metal as they know it to be.

Just because someone prefers growling over clean doesn't make them less of a metal fan. They're just going with the style that got them into it and that's not wrong in anyway. Even if they don't like the same metal as you, all that matters is that they're at least a metal fan.

Metal_Head
04-04-2010, 07:06 PM
Here is an actual truth...

I would go to more shows in Worcester if I lived closer.

So. Fucking. True. All the metal tours that hit MA hit The Palladium. I live an hour away, I rarely get out to shows I'd love to go to.

Maiden33
04-04-2010, 07:12 PM
So. Fucking. True. All the metal tours that hit MA hit The Palladium. I live an hour away, I rarely get out to shows I'd love to go to.

This is going to incite a large amount of PMS - so first this disclaimer:
I apologize if you are either really broke or too young to go to shows on your own and don't know any friends with similar interests - or any other configuration of stuff you have no control over...

But that being said, an hour is nothing. Unless you live in a real city, if you expect most bands to come much closer, you're pretty crazy. Aside from a random club here or there that maybe books less than half-a-dozen shows in a year I'd even consider going to - all the shows I really care about going to are either in Philadelphia (80 minutes), or New York City (a little under 2 hours). It's not that far. I'm driving 3.5 hours to see Maiden, 4 hours to see Fates Warning, and 13 hours to go to ProgPower USA XI this year alone.

idrinkwine732
04-04-2010, 07:28 PM
I drive an hour and a half to get into the city at least 90% of the time, unless it's in Oakland.

rjturtle9
04-04-2010, 08:52 PM
Oh, I will have fun!

for the last hour of it
Even if it's just 40 min of Toxic Holocaust it's worth the $15 and I think seeing any sort of band is usually better than doing nothing.

So I see your going to Slaughter by the Water

Wizzbang11
04-04-2010, 09:23 PM
Correct!

idrinkwine732
04-04-2010, 09:26 PM
I'd be there if I wasn't flyin out that day...

rjturtle9
04-04-2010, 09:34 PM
I was supposed to go for my birthday but i just don't have the money to fund the trip anymore :(

TonyD
04-04-2010, 09:44 PM
I might go for shits n giggles.

rjturtle9
04-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Damn i should go :bouville:

idrinkwine732
04-04-2010, 09:50 PM
I like that venue too.

TonyD
04-04-2010, 09:54 PM
The Metro? I haven't been to the new one, but I played at the old one. It was small, you could fall through the stage at any given moment and the bathrooms made a dumpster look like a clean place to do your business. Good times.

ravenheart
04-05-2010, 05:07 AM
New thrash facts:

Happy with points 1 and 3 (not that I actually like Skeletonwitch). Not so sure about 2, I don't see anything unique in their sound at all.

And definitely disagree with 4. There are a shitload of young thrash bands making terrific albums. Definitely wrong.

ADD
04-05-2010, 10:18 AM
The Metro? I haven't been to the new one, but I played at the old one. It was small, you could fall through the stage at any given moment and the bathrooms made a dumpster look like a clean place to do your business. Good times.
Yeah that place sucks, shitty sound too.

mastodon421
04-05-2010, 10:53 AM

Are you going to NEMHF?

Dextrimental
04-05-2010, 11:37 AM
OK, musical truths? Well, music is art, and therefore subjective, which means everyone has a different opinion on the matter, no matter what the band or style of music. There are no absolute in terms of the music itself, there are absolute when it comes to the composition/circumstances which allowed the music to be e.g. AC/DC, Angus is a blues guitarist. Fact. Malcolm is the regarded by everyone who knows the band personally as the better guitarist, and helps Angus write his solos. Fact. After that, its an opinion therefore not a truth.

If we are talking opinions, my recent discovery is that PanterA are still my favorite band, I still love listening to Motorhead and KISS while getting wasted and that discussing music is still a fruitless discussion becuase people will not change their opinions on the actual musi just because the person who made it studied theory for years, or was a huge fan of your favorite band.

ADD
04-05-2010, 11:59 AM
[QUOTE=Dextrimental;261861]OK, musical truths? Well, music is art, and therefore subjective, which means everyone has a different opinion on the matter, no matter what the band or style of music. There are no absolute in terms of the music itself, there are absolute when it comes to the composition/circumstances which allowed the music to be e.g. AC/DC, Angus is a blues guitarist. Fact. Malcolm is the regarded by everyone who knows the band personally as the better guitarist, and helps Angus write his solos. Fact. After that, its an opinion therefore not a truth.

QUOTE]

Hmm....:eyes:

IrritatedTrout
04-05-2010, 01:11 PM
This is going to incite a large amount of PMS - so first this disclaimer:
I apologize if you are either really broke or too young to go to shows on your own and don't know any friends with similar interests - or any other configuration of stuff you have no control over...

But that being said, an hour is nothing. Unless you live in a real city, if you expect most bands to come much closer, you're pretty crazy. Aside from a random club here or there that maybe books less than half-a-dozen shows in a year I'd even consider going to - all the shows I really care about going to are either in Philadelphia (80 minutes), or New York City (a little under 2 hours). It's not that far. I'm driving 3.5 hours to see Maiden, 4 hours to see Fates Warning, and 13 hours to go to ProgPower USA XI this year alone.

Virtually every show I go to is at least 2 hours away. It's awesome when I'm home and go to a show in Norfolk because it's only a 20 minute drive.

xStructualDefect
04-05-2010, 01:26 PM

poser shit like Whitechapel? they're a great band. just because a band is deathcore doesn't make them posers.

bt11763
04-05-2010, 01:57 PM
poser shit like Whitechapel? they're a great band. just because a band is deathcore doesn't make them posers.

you're missing the point.

i *sigh* actually like whitechapel, but i wouldn't go as far as to call them a "great" band.

xStructualDefect
04-05-2010, 02:14 PM
you're missing the point.

i *sigh* actually like whitechapel, but i wouldn't go as far as to call them a "great" band.

hm well i think they're a great band. definently one of the only good deathcore bands out there.

Div
04-05-2010, 03:22 PM
musical truth: in viewing the full spectrum of their career, priest define metal more than maiden.

discuss?

ADD
04-05-2010, 03:40 PM
musical truth: in viewing the full spectrum of their career, priest define metal more than maiden.

discuss?

Agreed. Maiden are one of the rare heavy rock/metal/whatever bands whose bread n butter isn't The Riff, but rather The Melody or The Hook, and that sets them apart.

bt11763
04-05-2010, 04:17 PM

discuss?

agreed, i am more of a maiden fan, but you're right.

especially towards the whole "image"

ravenheart
04-05-2010, 04:41 PM
Virtually every show I go to is at least 2 hours away. It's awesome when I'm home and go to a show in Norfolk because it's only a 20 minute drive.

I live an hour from London, where every single show I go to is. That's just to get to London. Then if the venue is somewhere like Camden or Islington, then add another 20 minutes to get there. If it's Hammersmith, Shepherd's Bush, Brixton, something like that, then it's at least another 40 minutes.

Today it took me nearly 2.5 hours to get back from Opeth.

So yeah, I agree, 1-2 hours for any show is absolutely nothing.

I think so far the longest journeys I've done for a show are Sweden Rock Festival, which takes something like 7 hours to eventually get to, but that's with waiting periods between modes of transport, so the longest straight travelling is probably the Hard Rock Hell festival last year, which I guess took 5 hours door to door.

DethMaiden
04-05-2010, 04:45 PM

discuss?

If this is true it's only because they overcompensate with image. Maiden don't dress particularly metal or run around calling themselves metal or write songs that reference metal. They just are metal.

JRA
04-05-2010, 05:54 PM
If this is true it's only because they overcompensate with image. Maiden don't dress particularly metal or run around calling themselves metal or write songs that reference metal. They just are metal.

No it has to do with sound as well. Priest always sounded heavier and had more of a crunch in their sound.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
04-05-2010, 06:18 PM

Most shows I go to are local, but I don't mind driving/flying if it's a band I want to see bad enough. I go to some shows in FT Worth, which is an hour away, and I flew to Atlanta just to see Fates Warning and Pagan's Mind. This summer I'm driving 5 hours to San Antonio to see Fates Warning again.

mankvill
04-05-2010, 06:26 PM
Shows in Lawrence = 1 minute down the road.
Shows in Kansas City = 30 minutes away.

Furthest I've ever driven for a concert is 3 hours in Nebraska.

And I flew to Baltimore for Quo Vadis.

JRA
04-05-2010, 06:44 PM
I can't stand Dokken's music, but George Lynch deserves all the praise he gets as a guitar god.

Maiden33
04-05-2010, 06:59 PM
Priest may define metal more than Maiden, but they also define average music and boring live shows far more often.

Yeah, that's right, I said it.

SomewhereInTime72
04-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Bill Bruford is a better drummer than any in the entire genre of metal.

mankvill
04-05-2010, 09:10 PM
Saint Vitus is fucking awesome.

Reagers Vitus > Wino Vitus

powerslave_85
04-05-2010, 09:15 PM
I've always been bored to tears by Priest. They just do nothing for me.

bt11763
04-05-2010, 09:26 PM
I've always been bored to tears by Priest. They just do nothing for me.

really? not a thing? :eek:

i don't know about anyone else, but just thinking of the opening drums to "Painkiller" gets me fucking PUMPED:rocker:

idrinkwine732
04-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Priest are one of those bands that just no matter what mood I'm in, I just feel alive.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
04-05-2010, 09:57 PM
Something I've known for 25 years:

Dio/Sabbath > All other Black Sabbath.

Too bad the new Heaven and Hell material is crap.

mankvill
04-05-2010, 10:22 PM
One more:

Sleep is my new favorite band :stoned:

rjturtle9
04-05-2010, 11:35 PM

I agree with the first part, but I actually like the new album.

mankvill
04-05-2010, 11:38 PM

Not for me anymore. In fact, it's not really even close.

ravenheart
04-06-2010, 05:25 AM

I don't know. I used to be in that camp, then I swerved wildly to the Tony Martin camp, now to be honest, I enjoy the first six Ozzy record, the Tony Martin records, and the Dio records all pretty evenly. Throw in the Glenn Hughes one too, that's awesome. And I don't hate the Gillan one or the other two Ozzy ones either.

To be honest, despite the line-up changes, Sabbath easily go down as the most consistently great band for me, given their long run of albums.

I like the H&H one too, albeit not as much after about the fourth track.

Blitzkrieg Witchcraft
04-06-2010, 06:50 AM
Save for a handful of songs, I never was big on the Tony Martin era material. I'm in the minority with you, I love Seventh Star. The Ozzy stuff is classic, but I never have cared for his vocals. Born Again has some good tunes. I'd like to have heard another Ian Gillan Sabbath album.

JRA
04-06-2010, 07:01 AM

:lol:

Nat was right, the longer this thread goes on, the more it turns into flame war fodder.

TonyD
04-06-2010, 09:27 AM

Spoken like a true Sleeper :stoned:

JRA
04-06-2010, 11:05 AM
Spoken like a true Sleeper :stoned:

http://www.icanhasforce.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/star-wars-anonymous-rebel-pilot-sees-what-u-did-there.jpg

Metal_Head
04-06-2010, 11:16 AM
Are you going to NEMHF?

I'm trying hard to make it to the second date. Solid lineup, but of course there's some shit bands. You down for a game of Uno during Rose Funeral?

ADD
04-06-2010, 11:42 AM
If there was ever a time that was any different, you ain't a true Sleeper, not that we didn't already know that ya straightedge midwestern death mehtaller :nutkick:

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Carmelo-Anthony---Slam-Dunk-Over-Jerome-Williams-Photograph-C11813154.jpeg

mankvill
04-06-2010, 12:17 PM
If there was ever a time that was any different, you ain't a true Sleeper, not that we didn't already know that ya straightedge midwestern death mehtaller :nutkick:

http://artfiles.art.com/images/-/Carmelo-Anthony---Slam-Dunk-Over-Jerome-Williams-Photograph-C11813154.jpeg

niggaplz, everyone goes through stages.

I can still jam some TURN UP THE NIIIIIHIIIIIIGHT but as soon as I hear the riff to N.I.B. it's just a clear choice to me then.

ravenheart
04-06-2010, 12:31 PM
I'd like to have heard another Ian Gillan Sabbath album.

Well, Tony and Ian are recording a new song together, so who knows.

ravenheart
04-06-2010, 12:33 PM

Nat was right, the longer this thread goes on, the more it turns into flame war fodder.

Every opinion is flame war fodder. The test is whether or not the people reading it will be juvenile enough to start flaming, or simply debate.

mankvill
04-06-2010, 12:37 PM
Every opinion is flame war fodder. The test is whether or not the people reading it will be juvenile enough to start flaming, or simply debate.

GO EAT BANGERS AND MASH

:jima:

ravenheart
04-06-2010, 12:42 PM
GO EAT BANGERS AND MASH

:jima:

See? ;)

The feel of April 1 hasn't really worn off for you yet, has it?

mastodon421
04-06-2010, 01:35 PM
I'm trying hard to make it to the second date. Solid lineup, but of course there's some shit bands. You down for a game of Uno during Rose Funeral?

Absoultey I am getting an Uno deck especially for the occasion.

Indestructible
04-08-2010, 06:26 PM
Musical Truth:
Grindcore is the worst genre in the history of the entire universe. Grindcore is not music and for it to be called music is a disgrace to every great thing music is. I dont what is so fasinating about someone growling and doing blast beats for 30 seconds.

ADD
04-08-2010, 06:38 PM
Most recent truth discovered: pre-Clutch Clutch is excellent, perhaps even better than post-Blast Tyrant Clutch.

mankvill
04-08-2010, 07:00 PM
Musical Truth:
Grindcore is the worst genre in the history of the entire universe. Grindcore is not music and for it to be called music is a disgrace to every great thing music is. I dont what is so fasinating about someone growling and doing blast beats for 30 seconds.

Musical Truth:
Grindcore is too deep for people who don't know how to spell "fascinating".

TonyD
04-08-2010, 07:03 PM
Most recent truth discovered: pre-Clutch Clutch is excellent, perhaps even better than post-Blast Tyrant Clutch.

:eek: took you that long?
http://www.icanhasforce.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/star-wars-anonymous-rebel-pilot-sees-what-u-did-there.jpg

ADD
04-08-2010, 07:05 PM
:eek: took you that long?

Yeah never really checked that stuff out before tonight besides a few songs here and there, it's sweet though.

TonyD
04-08-2010, 07:13 PM
Best simile ever?
Like a fly to doodoo.

ADD
04-08-2010, 07:15 PM
Best simile ever?
Like a fly to doodoo.
:D

DethMaiden
04-08-2010, 07:20 PM

Ehhhh...you've just got the EPs and Transnational vs. Robot Hive, Beale Street, and the new one...I'm not so sure. It's definitely great stuff, though.

evildeadjedi
04-08-2010, 07:24 PM
Yeah never really checked that stuff out before tonight besides a few songs here and there, it's sweet though.

I bet you realize what you've been missing out on all these years.

Clutch in my opinion has not made a bad album. Some have been amazing (S/T, Elephant Riders, PRF, Blast Tyrant, Robot Hive Exodus). While others good (TSL, Slow Hole to China, FBSTO, SCTW, Jam Room, Pitchfork, Passive Restraints).

DethMaiden
04-08-2010, 07:28 PM
I bet you realize what you've been missing out on all these years.

Clutch in my opinion has not made a bad album. Some have been amazing (S/T, Elephant Riders, PRF, Blast Tyrant, Robot Hive Exodus). While others good (TSL, Slow Hole to China, FBSTO, SCTW, Jam Room, Pitchfork, Passive Restraints).

I would classify the Clutch albums as follows:

Amazing: Clutch, Elephant Riders, Blast Tyrant, Beale Street
Very Good: Robot Hive, Pure Rock Fury, Strange Cousins, Slow Hole
Good: Transnational Speedway League, all the EP stuff
What the fuck, this sucks: Jam Room

evildeadjedi
04-08-2010, 07:38 PM
I would classify the Clutch albums as follows:

Amazing: Clutch, Elephant Riders, Blast Tyrant, Beale Street
Very Good: Robot Hive, Pure Rock Fury, Strange Cousins, Slow Hole
Good: Transnational Speedway League, all the EP stuff
What the fuck, this sucks: Jam Room

What do you have against Jam Room?

DethMaiden
04-08-2010, 07:39 PM
What do you have against Jam Room?

Other than the fact that it's terrible? It seriously sounds like a parody of Clutch to me. They're my second favorite band after Maiden but I can't get behind that one...I don't really like any of it. I kinda like One Eye Dollar but the Beale Street version puts it to shame.

Butcher of Birth
04-08-2010, 07:41 PM
Dimebag, Hendrix, and Slash are not even close to being Guitar Greats... Not with people like Via, Satch, and Shawn Lane. Shawn Lane was the man!

Also, fan boys suck and can ruin a band's image. (i.e. Bodom and Pantera, the new fans blow).

All in all, I don't see one good thing about Pantera.

DethMaiden
04-08-2010, 07:43 PM
Dimebag, Hendrix, and Slash are not even close to being Guitar Greats... Not with people like Via, Satch, and Shawn Lane. Shawn Lane was the man!

Also, fan boys suck and can ruin a band's image. (i.e. Bodom and Pantera, the new fans blow).

All in all, I don't see one good thing about Pantera.

Wow, I disagree with basically all of this. Maybe not the fanboys thing, but Hendrix DID do new things with an electric guitar that had never been done, Slash and Dimebag WERE some of the greatest solo writers ever (Dimebag even wrote great riffs!), and Pantera WERE a great band.

evildeadjedi
04-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Other than the fact that it's terrible? It seriously sounds like a parody of Clutch to me. They're my second favorite band after Maiden but I can't get behind that one...I don't really like any of it. I kinda like One Eye Dollar but the Beale Street version puts it to shame.

Can't even get into Release the Kraken, Raised by Horses, or Basket of Eggs? However, I see what you're saying about the parody thing it is a rather strange album overall.

DethMaiden
04-08-2010, 07:44 PM
Wait you don't like Release the Kraken, Raised by Horses, or Basket of Eggs?

Maybe I need to revisit them as it's been quite a while, but no, I don't think I do. I'm more surprised at how surprised you are than anything, I kind of thought it was widely accepted that Jam Room sucked. :lol:

evildeadjedi
04-08-2010, 07:51 PM
Maybe I need to revisit them as it's been quite a while, but no, I don't think I do. I'm more surprised at how surprised you are than anything, I kind of thought it was widely accepted that Jam Room sucked. :lol:

Well I can't say it sucks cause I love Basket of Eggs, Raised By Horses, and Release the Kraken but its the weakest of all the albums no doubt.

powerslave_85
04-08-2010, 08:00 PM
Dimebag, Hendrix, and Slash are not even close to being Guitar Greats... Not with people like Via, Satch, and Shawn Lane. Shawn Lane was the man! http://www.justpressplay.net/images/stories/facepalm.jpg

Maiden33
04-08-2010, 08:01 PM
Regarding the guitarists thing:

Dimebag, Hendrix, and Slash are all very good guitarists, no doubt. But they are all overrated, no question - and they are NOT gods of the instruments.

Hendrix must be respected for the revolutionary effect he had on electric guitar, he is no doubt one of the most influential and iconic players to have ever picked up the instrument. But by the standard's of everything that's out there, he's only solid - not amazing. If you're one of those people who thinks influence = automatic god-status, great - but I am not.

Slash is honestly completely overrated and underrated at the same time, a very rare thing. I do have a lot of respect for him, being a die-hard les Paul fanatic and a great, soulful, blues-based guitarist. But he's not incredible.

Dimebag was no doubt an amazing guitarist (though IMO his easily best solo goes completely unnoticed), but he was not absolute god-status - but he died, thus everyone grew a massive boner for him, which I hate. I won't talk any crap or negativity about him, despite how much I hate a lot of later Pantera, and how much I hate the whole stigma attached to the whole thing.

But essentially I agree with Butcher of Birth. None of these guys even begins to hold a candle to guys like Paul Gilbert, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci, Criss Oliva, Steve Vai, Joe Stump, or Vinnie Moore.

TonyD
04-08-2010, 08:27 PM
(though IMO his easily best solo goes completely unnoticed)

I'm gonna take a wild guess and say one from the 80's?

Hendrix might be an over rated "guitarist", but he was a fucking musician. I know the feel over chops argument is cliche but he is the ultimate example. The Strat and Marshall were his pen an paper, brush and canvas, etc. Metal in particular puts way too much emphasis on the tools because most people who start playing can't get creative so they rely on playing faster/better and being more br00tal/epic.

Not taking anything away from Satch, Vai and Gilbert. Petrucci is kind of a tool though.

ADD
04-08-2010, 08:29 PM
Metal in particular puts way too much emphasis on the tools because most people who start playing can't get creative so they rely on playing faster/better and being more br00tal/epic.

:money:

Maiden33
04-08-2010, 08:33 PM
I'm gonna take a wild guess and say one from the 80's?

Hendrix might be an over rated "guitarist", but he was a fucking musician. I know the feel over chops argument is cliche but he is the ultimate example. The Strat and Marshall were his pen an paper, brush and canvas, etc. Metal in particular puts way too much emphasis on the tools because most people who start playing can't get creative so they rely on playing faster/better and being more br00tal/epic.

Not taking anything away from Satch, Vai and Gilbert. Petrucci is kind of a tool though.

1) Yes. The solo I'm talking about is on "We'll Meet Again". Probably one of my favorite guitar solos period.

2) You're right about gear - the right gear can easily make mediocre players sound great... to a degree. A great player shouldn't need all the "trimmings" to sound great, which is why most of those who truly are great won't just play one style or one "sound" all the time. My case to the contrary is actually me vs. my band's old second guitarist. He spend like $1,000 to basically buy my entire set up because he loved my tone so much - well, he failed miserably with virtually the same exact gear. The majority of guitar tone itself (not distortion, but technique, feel, and style) is all in the player, not the equipment.

3) If you think Petrucci's a tool, you've probably heard all the wrong stuff. When I only was casually familiar with Dream Theater years ago, I thought he was overrated and really wanky. But after being exposed to a wider variety of what he's capable of, I think he is absolutely :bowdown:-worthy. But if you hate Dream Theater (which I remember correctly, you do), it's probably a waste of time to try to change your mind.

TonyD
04-08-2010, 08:43 PM
I wasn't talking about any gear in particular, I'm talking about guitars and amps in general, he just favored Strats and Marshalls.

Dream Theater is kind of a love/hate thing for me. Even on the same album I hear great things, and in other places it's a huge facepalm. But I have a pretty low tolerance for wanky and cheesy music.

JRA
04-08-2010, 08:44 PM
http://www.justpressplay.net/images/stories/facepalm.jpg

and Picard can only stare on in shock at the faggotry.

If you think Hendrix isn't a god, I'm going to whip out a long lost classic called "I will shit down your throat."

Maiden33
04-08-2010, 08:49 PM
I wasn't talking about any gear in particular, I'm talking about guitars and amps in general, he just favored Strats and Marshalls.

Dream Theater is kind of a love/hate thing for me. Even on the same album I hear great things, and in other places it's a huge facepalm. But I have a pretty low tolerance for wanky and cheesy music.

I wasn't talking about anything in particular either - I was just saying: Yes, a lot of times in metal you have mediocre-at-best players who just use heavy distortions and over-done effects to cover up their mediocrity - However that can only go so far.

Fair enough abut DT. I don't know what you've heard, but even as a pretty big fan, they have a lot of songs I don't care for. Their past 5 albums have been entirely hit/miss for me.

powerslave_85
04-08-2010, 09:04 PM
I just can't fathom people calling Hendrix "overrated."

idrinkwine732
04-08-2010, 09:15 PM
I just can't fathom people calling Hendrix "overrated."

I believe him to be overrated, but still probably the greatest guitarist of all time.

Natrlhi
04-08-2010, 09:24 PM
I just can't fathom people calling Hendrix "overrated."Sheeit. It's easy to fathom, when you think about it.

It's a classic example of someone taking something that almost everybody accepts as truth, and then disagreeing with it. They think it makes them look cool and edgy, that they're willing to "buck the norm". "Ooooohhhh what a rebel that guy must be - he thinks somebody like Hendrix is overrated. I think I want to suck that guy's cock."

Please.

...and people do that kind of shit on here all the fucking time.

Some of my most famous debates are with people who tried that crap, and I was in the wrong (or right, depending on how you look at it :D) mood that day, and I called them out for it.

I hate that shit. It's just so fucking lame. :rolleyes:

Hendrix, overrated?

YOUR MOTHER IS OVERRATED. :bigfinger

idrinkwine732
04-08-2010, 09:29 PM
Sheeit. It's easy to fathom, when you think about it.

It's a classic example of someone taking something that almost everybody accepts as truth, and then disagreeing with it. They think it makes them look cool and edgy, that they're willing to "buck the norm". "Ooooohhhh what a rebel that guy must be - he thinks somebody like Hendrix is overrated. I think I want to suck that guy's cock."

A shit load of people also go with the flow on this shit. Everyone says Hendrix is the best, therefore he must be the best. I'll be cool if I say Hendrix is the greatest guitarist ever, and if I make a total hyperbole, people will think I know what I'm talking about. I've come to the conclusion that I like a few other guitarists music more than his, but it is no reflection on him as a guitarist. So many people don't understand that when I say he's overrated, I'm not talking about his skills, I'm talking about his music. I think that's all that matters...

Maiden33
04-08-2010, 09:50 PM
Sheeit. It's easy to fathom, when you think about it.

Please.

...and people do that kind of shit on here all the fucking time.

Some of my most famous debates are with people who tried that crap, and I was in the wrong (or right, depending on how you look at it :D) mood that day, and I called them out for it.

I hate that shit. It's just so fucking lame. :rolleyes:

Hendrix, overrated?

YOUR MOTHER IS OVERRATED. :bigfinger

If you're going to say I'm just playing the "disagreement for the sake of disagreement" card - you can kiss my ass, because it's NOT the case. I think I fully explained myself, and I said - I'm willing to give him a lot of credit, but I just don't think he's quite the absolute god most people make him out to be. Dissenting opinion sometimes exist because people actually have different opinions and aren't just trying to be "hip".

ADD
04-08-2010, 10:12 PM
Jimi was a god like anyone else, just that he knew it :cool:

powerslave_85
04-08-2010, 10:14 PM
I know this has no impact on your opinion whatsoever, but I'm pretty sure that if you told someone like Joe Satriani or Steve Vai that Hendrix is overrated, they would stare at you in stunned silence too.

Natrlhi
04-08-2010, 10:15 PM
If you're going to say I'm just playing the "disagreement for the sake of disagreement" card - you can kiss my ass, because it's NOT the case.

Dude, relax. I wasn't calling you out. If and when I do, you'll know it. I'll quote you, and then I'll lay into you directly. I don't have to fuck around and be a passive-aggressive nancy-boy...you know that as well as anyone.

You have to admit, though, my primary point is valid - and that point simply was that many folks on this board have done exactly what you described - "disagreement for the sake of disagreement" (or according to my theory, because they think it makes them look cool). You know it's true. If you deny it, then you're probably just disagreeing with me for the sake of disagreement, and then I'm probably going to have to call you out. :D

Dissenting opinion sometimes exist because people actually have different opinions and aren't just trying to be "hip".In your case, this one time? Maybe. With a lot of other folks on here? Fuck no. If you want, I'll wait until I read a post where it happens, and then I'll send you a quote as a private message. It should take about a day or so, tops. I see it almost every day on here.

mankvill
04-08-2010, 10:22 PM
Herman Ri is da best?

Natrlhi
04-08-2010, 10:23 PM
Herman Ri is da best?

NNNNNNNo.

TonyD
04-08-2010, 10:36 PM
NNNNNNNo.

What are you smoking?

Natrlhi
04-08-2010, 10:48 PM
What are you smoking?

I was half-way joking, and I think maybe Manks was, too. But now that I think about it, Muhammed Suicmez is probably better than Herman Li, so yeah. I mean, don't get me wrong - Li is really damn good. But "the best"?

NNNNNNNo.

Sorry.

NNNNNNNo.

mankvill
04-08-2010, 10:54 PM
So when I was in junior high and high school and stuff, I was like "damn, i can't wait until I move out of my house and I can drink and smoke pot and all this stuff" so I never did it.

Then I moved out to college.

And then I heard Minor Threat.

:fist:

sXe hardcore punk is da best

TonyD
04-08-2010, 11:35 PM
NNNNNNNo.

I'm totally kidding, Herman Ri is a joke on guitar and a dick.

sXe hardcore punk is da best

What happened to the Sleep kick, pussy?

Fires Of Sedition
04-09-2010, 12:20 AM

Never fall in love.
or reproduce

ravenheart
04-09-2010, 12:40 AM
Wow, I disagree with basically all of this. Maybe not the fanboys thing, but Hendrix DID do new things with an electric guitar that had never been done, Slash and Dimebag WERE some of the greatest solo writers ever (Dimebag even wrote great riffs!), and Pantera WERE a great band.

Everything here is true. Everything Butcher said before it isn't. Except the fan boys sucking part. They do suck. Especially Maiden fanboys ;)