PDA

View Full Version : Rush has about 6 songs written and plans to start touring in the middle of June

Travis The Dragon
03-26-2010, 05:02 PM
James Bradshaw of The Globe and Mail recently conducted an interview with RUSH guitarist Alex Lifeson. A couple of excerpts from the chat follow below.

The Globe and Mail: You've said you're not concerned whether RUSH gets into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Is that still true?

Lifeson: Honestly, I really, really don't care about it. There's so many politics involved in that. I think there are so many other bands that are deserving to be in there, even before us, bands that we looked up to and were influenced by. They've got a lot of bands in there that I don't think should really be in there. It's fine, they can do whatever they want it's their hall of fame and whatever. Personally, in the long run, I'd prefer that we don't get the offer, because I'm not so sure I'd want to go. Our fans are very insulted that we've been passed over so many times, but honestly, it doesn't matter to us.

The Globe and Mail: Has your songwriting role changed over the years?

Lifeson: I think, essentially, it's the same it always has been. We bring different things to it obviously Neil [Peart] brings lyrics and Geddy [Lee] and I write all the music. Geddy and I have very different approaches to writing. I have a low attention span, whereas he's much more methodical. So when we're writing, we really have a nice balance in our process. I tend to throw things out I'm always kind of noodling in the corner, and he'll hear something, and say, "Let's put that down right away!" because he understands me.

It's a funny thing with writing: You fall in love with these things and you're so excited about them, you can't wait to start working on them the next day, and then you reach a point where you just hate them and you're not sure if they're any good. And you get away from them for a few days and then you fall in love with them again. It's this crazy yo-yo relationship you have with new material.

The Globe and Mail: How far off is the next album?

Lifeson: We were off for a year and a half, and now it's just pouring. Everything is totally crazy and there's not a minute left in the day. We've got these half-dozen songs, and we'll probably go in the studio and work on a couple of them and see how it goes, perhaps release something and I say perhaps and then we plan on being on the road in the middle of June. Ideally, we'd like to showcase a couple of these songs on the tour, come off tour in mid-October, go back in the studio and continue writing, then record through late this year and early next year, and then release the album in the spring of 2011 on a slightly more substantial tour. This [year's] tour will probably be about 45 dates. Most likely summer, 2011, would be more like 70.

The Globe and Mail: With the advent of iPods and downloading, is live performance more central for you?

Lifeson: I would say that it's a little more relevant. It used to be that you made an album and then you went on the road to promote that album, hoping for good record sales. Well, good record sales basically don't exist any more, and the emphasis has been more on the live show. We're fortunate that we've got a good track record of being a live act. We feel very, very comfortable in that arena, and we're always looking to expand and try new things in the stage show.

So it's challenging and exciting for us, and I think we deliver. We tend to rehearse for a few weeks on our own, then we do four weeks of full-band rehearsal, and then we do two weeks of full-production rehearsal where we treat it as a show. That's primarily for the crew, but we play the set every day, sometimes twice a day, so we're so ready by the time we hit that first gig.

Read the entire interview at The Gobe and Mail.Source: http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=137479

YES! YES! YES! :party: :party: :party: :party: :party:

I can't wait to hear some new material and see this SUPER AMAZING band in concert for the 4th time!

Pastulio_
03-26-2010, 05:08 PM
Excellent! Rush's 3 hour shows are so worth the $$$

rjturtle9
03-26-2010, 08:44 PM
One band I have yet to see live that I really want to see live. I cannot wait for the tour to be announced.

mankvill
03-26-2010, 08:49 PM
Heard a rumor they're playing here on July 2. Would love to see Rush.

DethMaiden
03-26-2010, 08:50 PM
This could serve to fill the gap in my summer concert schedule...I really need to see Rush again, they were great three years back even from the lawn.

Uncle_Meat1940
03-26-2010, 09:07 PM
*looks down*

Oh my god.... These pants are just..... oh my god they're ruined... I'm so fucking excited, I've been a Rush fan since I was a wee one, but I've never had the funds to go see them when they came. NOW! I will!

I'm gonna go scream into a pillow now. haha

bt11763
03-26-2010, 11:02 PM
i too am yet to see rush

idrinkwine732
03-26-2010, 11:04 PM
Yet another show for me to go to.

es156
03-27-2010, 07:15 AM
*Please don't conflict with Maiden dates!!*

:snivel:

IrritatedTrout
03-27-2010, 07:33 AM
One band I have yet to see live that I really want to see live. I cannot wait for the tour to be announced.

Same here. Very excited about this news.

idrinkwine732
03-27-2010, 08:19 AM

*gasp*

This could be a problem....

mankvill
03-27-2010, 08:22 AM

I hope I get Rush while you're at Maiden. :mad:

AnataFan4Life
03-27-2010, 08:42 AM
I've always wanted to see Rush as well. I think Porcupine Tree are gonna be in my area soon as well.

Hooray for prog rock :party:

Uncle_Meat1940
03-27-2010, 11:24 AM
Porcupine never comes to Minnesota. :(

Sanitarium78
03-27-2010, 11:49 AM
Excellent news!!!

Rush never misses my area at all. It looks like i'll be seeing them for a seventh time this summer:party:

There's no better band to see live. It's only them playing which is one of the things that makes it so great. You don't have to sit through three or four opening bands that aren't worth shit to begin with. All bands that have 30 years or better of great material and are able to aford it should do the "Evening With" format, it just makes sense as far as i'm concerned.

rjturtle9
03-27-2010, 12:08 PM

:eek:

Damn if it does, I will hate life!

I would probably just road trip it to see them at the next or previous date though.

Travis The Dragon
03-27-2010, 12:50 PM
Excellent news!!!

Rush never misses my area at all. It looks like i'll be seeing them for a seventh time this summer:party:

Iron Maiden is the only better band to see live. It's only them playing which is one of the things that makes it so great. You don't have to sit through three or four opening bands that aren't worth shit to begin with. All bands that have 30 years or better of great material and are able to aford it should do the "Evening With" format, it just makes sense as far as i'm concerned.

Fixed! :D

rjturtle9
03-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Fixed! :D

:lol:

Too be honest though, judging only from their live DVDs since i have never seen Rush live, it will be a hard fight between which is the better live band.

Pastulio_
03-27-2010, 02:21 PM
:lol:

Too be honest though, judging only from their live DVDs since i have never seen Rush live, it will be a hard fight between which is the better live band.

2 years ago I saw both Rush and Iron Maiden within 30 days. Maiden's stage presence is far better. Rush gets brownie points for stage time and technicality, but in terms of purely who puts on a better show, it goes to Maiden.

TonyD
03-27-2010, 02:44 PM
I've always wanted to see Rush as well. I think Porcupine Tree are gonna be in my area soon as well.

Hooray for prog rock :party:

:blaze:

maidenpriest
03-28-2010, 12:35 AM
yet another show to go to!!! would be seeing Rush for the third time, hoping for more 70s material this time around. Snakes and Arrows tour was definitely lacking in that department

Sanitarium78
03-28-2010, 12:45 PM
yet another show to go to!!! would be seeing Rush for the third time, hoping for more 70s material this time around. Snakes and Arrows tour was definitely lacking in that department

Don't hold your breath on more 70s stuff. The main reason they don't do that stuff now is because Geddy's voice can't handle doing that singing range a lot anymore. He'll be 57 this summer so I doubt he's thinking "hey, let's do more songs from when my voice used to be ball squeezing high":lol: They can tune the guitar's down to fit is lower vocal range now but most stuff from the 70s they do now sounds a little off when they do that.

Also, depite FonzBear2000's "fix" of my post I stand by my stament that Rush is the best band to see live. Maiden is great no doubt, and do have a better stage presence but Rush kills them when it comes to setlists selections. They play 5 or 6 big hits and the rest of the set is made up of a lot of deep cuts and they always switch the rare songs they do each tour. As much as I love them Maiden is among the worst when it comes to putting setlists together. They have no variety in the old material they play and it never seems like they put much effort into creating a set. Seriously, how many times do we have to hear below average songs like Running Free, Sanctuary and Wrathchild? How bout something different off their best album POM instead of The Trooper all the time? I can keep going on here but it won't end so i'll stop.

A great show is awesome but the songs you choose to play go a long way in making a great live band. That's what makes Rush so much better than everyone else.

Fe Maiden
03-29-2010, 07:13 AM
I've seen RUSH countless times and I am excited at the prospect of seeing them again!

Live they do put on one hell of a terrific show and are sort of a toss up as to who is better live when compared to Maiden. Different stage shows though to be sure. Rush has the lasers and vidoes and all that are pretty damn impressive to me! Their live sound is usually crystal clear as well.

Travis The Dragon
03-29-2010, 06:12 PM
Don't hold your breath on more 70s stuff. The main reason they don't do that stuff now is because Geddy's voice can't handle doing that singing range a lot anymore. He'll be 57 this summer so I doubt he's thinking "hey, let's do more songs from when my voice used to be ball squeezing high":lol: They can tune the guitar's down to fit is lower vocal range now but most stuff from the 70s they do now sounds a little off when they do that.

Also, depite FonzBear2000's "fix" of my post I stand by my stament that Rush is the best band to see live. Maiden is great no doubt, and do have a better stage presence but Rush kills them when it comes to setlists selections. They play 5 or 6 big hits and the rest of the set is made up of a lot of deep cuts and they always switch the rare songs they do each tour. As much as I love them Maiden is among the worst when it comes to putting setlists together. They have no variety in the old material they play and it never seems like they put much effort into creating a set. Seriously, how many times do we have to hear below average songs like Running Free, Sanctuary and Wrathchild? How bout something different off their best album POM instead of The Trooper all the time? I can keep going on here but it won't end so i'll stop.

A great show is awesome but the songs you choose to play go a long way in making a great live band. That's what makes Rush so much better than everyone else.Ya, I know exactly what you mean about Maiden's setlist. At least they've had a few surprises in the last 6 years or so. The Early Days tour with Murders In The Rue Morgue, POTO, and Drifter, doing all of AMOLAD and FINALLY dropping a few overplayed classics and the recent SBIT tour with Moonchild and ROTAM, but there's still room for improvement. I'd love to see them do a 3 hour show like Rush, but UNLIKE Rush, they put a LOT of energy into their performance and doing a show that long would be way too draining for them unless they just stood there like robots and didn't move around the stage, but who wants to see them do that? Surely not me. Either way, both bands are AMAZING live in their own ways! :party:

Sanitarium78
03-30-2010, 10:46 AM
I'd love to see them do a 3 hour show like Rush, but UNLIKE Rush, they put a LOT of energy into their performance and doing a show that long would be way too draining for them unless they just stood there like robots and didn't move around the stage, but who wants to see them do that? Surely not me. Either way, both bands are AMAZING live in their own ways! :party:

I never thought Rush lacked energy at all live. Also, you can't really compare the bands that way. Maiden has 5 of 6 guys that can roam the stage and make it seem more active but Rush only has 2 out of the 3 guys who can move around. Since Rush has a less band members there's more for them to concetrate on musically, so while it might not seem like they have energy I most certainly think they do.

Rush has a lot of sound effects to activate live as well in order to recreate everything exactly how it is in the studio. All three have pedals that they step on to do that if the song requires it. So they sometimes have to stick close to "their base" so to speak. Look at Geddy Lee, simultainously playing bass, keyboards and singing on a good number of the songs. This is where he spends his energy instead of roaming the stage. All three are doing more than you know live and it causes them to have less freedom in walking around the stage.

Still looking forward to whenever these tour dates are announced:party:

Travis The Dragon
03-30-2010, 11:59 AM
I never thought Rush lacked energy at all live. Also, you can't really compare the bands that way. Maiden has 5 of 6 guys that can roam the stage and make it seem more active but Rush only has 2 out of the 3 guys who can move around. Since Rush has a less band members there's more for them to concetrate on musically, so while it might not seem like they have energy I most certainly think they do.

Rush has a lot of sound effects to activate live as well in order to recreate everything exactly how it is in the studio. All three have pedals that they step on to do that if the song requires it. So they sometimes have to stick close to "their base" so to speak. Look at Geddy Lee, simultainously playing bass, keyboards and singing on a good number of the songs. This is where he spends his energy instead of roaming the stage. All three are doing more than you know live and it causes them to have less freedom in walking around the stage.

Still looking forward to whenever these tour dates are announced:party:

Exactly. And because of that, Rush doesn't put as much physical energy into their shows as Maiden, but if they did, they probably couldn't pull off 3 hour shows.

IrritatedTrout
04-06-2010, 12:02 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=138037

Good chance that tour dates are coming Thursday morning.

mankvill
04-06-2010, 12:16 PM
Crossing fangers for a date at Sandstone here, but it'll probably be at Starlight. Bah.

DethMaiden
04-06-2010, 12:17 PM
I'm guessing it will be at Riverbend in Cincy just like every time they play Ohio, but seriously, fuck Riverbend. I would seriously consider skipping if it goes there, or just driving farther.