PDA

View Full Version : Okay, okay. I'll try again.

DethMaiden
03-23-2010, 04:58 PM
As a minor flame war in Now Playing shows, there are some bands that I don't like because I tried to like them a long time ago and something never clicked, then it never interested me to go back and try to listen to them again. Some of this stuff I dismissed in junior high school and cling to the belief that it sucks, so, here's a list of bands I'm going to listen to albums from, re-evaluate, and post my findings on. If there's anyone else you suspect I hate that I shouldn't, let me know and I'll consider adding them.

(early) Celtic Frost
Venom
Motorhead
first Bathory record

mankvill
03-23-2010, 05:04 PM
TBA, first Bathory record is radically different from his other albums, but there's still some good cuts on it. SACRIFICE!

Morbid Tales
Emperor's Return
To Mega Therion

Will make you a great night of headbanging. :fist:

As for Motorhead or Venom, I dunno what to tell you. :cool:

DethMaiden
03-23-2010, 05:05 PM
TBA, first Bathory record is radically different from his other albums, but there's still some good cuts on it. SACRIFICE!

Morbid Tales
Emperor's Return
To Mega Therion

Will make you a great night of headbanging. :fist:

As for Motorhead or Venom, I dunno what to tell you. :cool:

Yeah, I know the first Bathory is different, but it's "important" or whatever. I like Under the Sign of the Black Mark (don't love it, like it) but I thought I should give the eponymous one another shot.

ravenheart
03-23-2010, 05:09 PM
As a minor flame war in Now Playing shows, there are some bands that I don't like because I tried to like them a long time ago and something never clicked, then it never interested me to go back and try to listen to them again. Some of this stuff I dismissed in junior high school and cling to the belief that it sucks, so, here's a list of bands I'm going to listen to albums from, re-evaluate, and post my findings on.

I got into most of the metal I love by doing exactly this. Stuff sounds different the more educated on the subject you become.

I didn't like Black Sabbath the first time I listened to them.

mankvill
03-23-2010, 05:11 PM
I got into most of the metal I love by doing exactly this. Stuff sounds different the more educated on the subject you become.

Same here, really.

I dismissed Saint Vitus at first because I thought it was hipster shit.

:lol: :bricks:

ravenheart
03-23-2010, 05:12 PM
Motorhead

All Motorhead, or just the early stuff? The early stuff is monotony in the extreme. I love Motorhead. I have every album and have probably seen them live more than any other band except possibly Thunder. But, the "big three" albums are dull. I never listen to them.

If you've dismissed all other Motorhead based on those three, I recommend investigating '1916', 'Inferno', 'Hammered' and 'March Or Die'.

DethMaiden
03-23-2010, 05:15 PM
All Motorhead, or just the early stuff? The early stuff is monotony in the extreme. I love Motorhead. I have every album and have probably seen them live more than any other band except possibly Thunder. But, the "big three" albums are dull. I never listen to them.

If you've dismissed all other Motorhead based on those three, I recommend investigating '1916', 'Inferno', 'Hammered' and 'March Or Die'.

Well, I'm not really familiar with them beyond the Ace of Spades album, and I moderated like the title track, but they were terrible live in 2008 in my opinion and the performance didn't exactly inspire me to go check out their stuff. They're the least likely on that list to get me to start liking them, but I'll look into those albums you're praising, thanks. :fist:

JRA
03-23-2010, 06:48 PM
If you've dismissed all other Motorhead based on those three, I recommend investigating '1916', 'Inferno

These two are damn good. Although I actually like Overkill and Ace, I consider 1916 to be the quintessential Motorhead album.

add these to your list-

AC/DC
Led Zeppelin

Also, when did you hear the first Bathory album?

mankvill
03-23-2010, 06:54 PM
penultimate

Don't think you got the right definition there, chief.

DethMaiden
03-23-2010, 06:55 PM
These two are damn good. Although I actually like Overkill and Ace, I consider 1916 to be the penultimate Motorhead album.

add these to your list-

AC/DC
Led Zeppelin

Also, when did you hear the first Bathory album?

I dunno, around when Brady was pimping it with his avatar for the first time.

I refuse to add AC/DC and Zeppelin to my list. I have classic rock radio, I know what AC/DC and Zeppelin sound like, and don't give me bullshit about "deep album cuts" - if I don't like the 15-20 songs I know very well, they're not worth another chance. And I do own Led Zeppelin IV, I just don't really listen to it.

Also, I'm going to self-add Styx. I keep hearing songs on the radio that I think are awesome, asking my dad who it's by, and he says Styx. So yeah, I need to figure out what those songs are.

DethMaiden
03-23-2010, 06:56 PM
Don't think you got the right definition there, chief.

:lol: Should I listen to the penultimate Celtic Frost album? No one really talks about it.

Maiden33
03-23-2010, 07:21 PM
I have nothing off the top of my head, but I know there's shit that you don't listen to that bothers the crap out of me. I just can't think of any specifics right now.

I also disapprove of how you will quite like an embrace an album from a band, but persist to ignore the rest of their catalog.

Natrlhi
03-23-2010, 07:24 PM
If you do this, then Mankvill has to listen to every Tool album (hell there are only four LP's anyway) from start to finish, putting aside his personal feelings about Maynard (because I suspect that's where his problem with the band lies), and then report back to us and tell us he still hates them through and through, and there's no redeeming qualities to their music whatsoever.

The gauntlet has been thrown down, Manks. Sack up. If Brad can do it, so can you. :horns:

EDIT:

Oh, and this.

The man is right. I have discovered some really good shit by doing the "second chance" thing as well. :D

DethMaiden
03-23-2010, 07:28 PM
I also disapprove of how you will quite like an embrace an album from a band, but persist to ignore the rest of their catalog.

Well, that's generally because I checked something out on a whim, liked it, and really remained totally uncurious about the rest of their stuff. It happens, and it'll probably continue to happen. Not every band inspires me to familiarize myself with their whole catalog - hell, I don't even have every album from three of my top ten bands yet (working on it though :D).

TonyD
03-23-2010, 07:31 PM
I hated Metallica... not sure but my friends might have been playing St. Anger at the time. I also hated "metal" because I didn't there was anything other than hair metal and death metal.

powerslave_85
03-23-2010, 07:41 PM
*Throws gas on the fire*

I've never listened to Venom or Bathory, and didn't like what I heard from Celtic Frost.

Maiden33
03-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Well, that's generally because I checked something out on a whim, liked it, and really remained totally uncurious about the rest of their stuff. It happens, and it'll probably continue to happen. Not every band inspires me to familiarize myself with their whole catalog - hell, I don't even have every album from three of my top ten bands yet (working on it though :D).

For the record, if you just gave older Evergrey (In Search of Truth and Recreation Day) the chance they deserve, I would probably just shut my mouth. :D

Natrlhi
03-23-2010, 07:46 PM
For the record, if you just gave older Evergrey (In Search of Truth and Recreation Day) the chance they deserve, I would probably just shut my mouth. :D

In general, or just about Evergrey? ;)

Maiden33
03-23-2010, 07:47 PM
In general, or just about Evergrey? ;)

Technically speaking, it's been shut the whole time. I don't "talk" my posts as I'm typing them. :D

Actually, nevermind, I'm eating some pretzels at the moment, my mouth is actually open. :eyes:

JRA
03-23-2010, 07:48 PM
I will say it did take me a while to get into Celtic Frost, in fact I remember telling Brady online once that the reason I didn't like them was "I didn't hear any memorable riffs," just large downtuned chunks.

mankvill
03-23-2010, 07:51 PM
:lol: Should I listen to the penultimate Celtic Frost album? No one really talks about it.

It's...okay. There's still remnants of Cold Lake there, but it's just fine.

mankvill
03-23-2010, 07:53 PM
personal feelings about Maynard (because I suspect that's where his problem with the band lies)

No! I just hate his voice immensely. Nothing about the guy itself.

That, and I think every song is either way too long and boring or sounds the same.

xStructualDefect
03-23-2010, 08:16 PM
That, and I think every song is either way too long and boring or sounds the same.

i used to think the same. then i listened to them really stoned one day. i learned to appreciate and respect their music much more after that day.

DethMaiden
03-23-2010, 08:36 PM
i used to think the same. then i listened to them really stoned one day. i learned to appreciate and respect their music much more after that day.

I promise that that ain't gonna sell Manks on Tool.

But I will also say that I have never been high in my life and I love Tool as well.

idrinkwine732
03-23-2010, 08:41 PM
Tool are more fun high, but I think they're awesome sober as well.

SomewhereInTime72
03-23-2010, 08:44 PM
WHYYYYYYYYYY CANT I LIKE TOOL SOBER

DethMaiden
03-23-2010, 08:44 PM
WHYYYYYYYYYY CANT I LIKE TOOL SOBER

:lol: :lol: Perfect.

ChildrenofSodom
03-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Listen to Kyle Cease.

DethMaiden
03-23-2010, 09:01 PM
Listen to Kyle Cease.

I did look him up! And he wasn't funny. :snivel:

Div
03-23-2010, 11:30 PM
How could anyone appreciate maiden and priest and not find the groove in bomber or to mega therion?

ravenheart
03-24-2010, 05:39 AM
How could anyone appreciate maiden and priest and not find the groove in bomber or to mega therion?

Because the only similarities are the fact that they use guitars...?

JRA
03-24-2010, 06:19 AM

They also play fast from time to time. :tp:

Brad, didn't you say that Death didn't do much for you? Add them to the list perhaps?

DethMaiden
03-24-2010, 07:06 AM

:fist: :lol:

Brad, didn't you say that Death didn't do much for you? Add them to the list perhaps?

Eh, I like Death, I just don't see what everyone else apparently does. Love The Sound of Perseverance, not crazy about the rest of what I've heard. I own Scream Bloody Gore as well and I basically never want to listen to it.

Natrlhi
03-24-2010, 07:24 AM
I own Scream Bloody Gore as well and I basically never want to listen to it.

:confused: Does not compute.

Also, :boohoo:

DethMaiden
03-24-2010, 07:28 AM
:confused: Does not compute.

Also, :boohoo:

:( It has a few awesome cuts but it's just not something I ever really think about listening to. I didn't get into death metal through the early, primitive stuff, so it doesn't have the same effect on me as it did for you. Hell, I like Tomb of the Mutilated and Cause of Death more, but even those are fairly "meh" considering where death metal went, imo.

Fe Maiden
03-24-2010, 08:42 AM
I dunno, around when Brady was pimping it with his avatar for the first time.

I refuse to add AC/DC and Zeppelin to my list. I have classic rock radio, I know what AC/DC and Zeppelin sound like, and don't give me bullshit about "deep album cuts" - if I don't like the 15-20 songs I know very well, they're not worth another chance. And I do own Led Zeppelin IV, I just don't really listen to it.

Also, I'm going to self-add Styx. I keep hearing songs on the radio that I think are awesome, asking my dad who it's by, and he says Styx. So yeah, I need to figure out what those songs are.STYX are quite a good band and live are quite amazing!

ADD
03-24-2010, 09:36 AM
No way, its all rock n roll to varying degrees, Frost taking it a degree further than Maiden who are further than Priest who are further than Motorhead, in terms of distance from the blues rock roots of heavy metal. Brad I think you'll find yourself reevaluating Celtic Frost and Bathory to an extent but probably wont change your mind on Venom or Motorhead.

DethMaiden
03-24-2010, 10:47 AM
No way, its all rock n roll to varying degrees, Frost taking it a degree further than Maiden who are further than Priest who are further than Motorhead, in terms of distance from the blues rock roots of heavy metal. Brad I think you'll find yourself reevaluating Celtic Frost and Bathory to an extent but probably wont change your mind on Venom or Motorhead.

That's kinda what I suspect. I like the song "Black Metal," but that probably came from playing whichever Tony Hawk game it was in too much. :eyes:

makethemsuffer12
03-24-2010, 11:24 AM
That's kinda what I suspect. I like the song "Black Metal," but that probably came from playing whichever Tony Hawk game it was in too much. :eyes:

American Wasteland, I believe.

DethMaiden
03-24-2010, 11:29 AM
American Wasteland, I believe.

Yep, that's the one. The last Tony Hawk game I played, actually. I played THPS3, THPS4, THUG, THUG2, and that one.

ADD
03-24-2010, 11:59 AM
Just saw this week marks the 31st anniversary of Motorhead's Overkill, you know what ta do :cool: :agree: :rocker: :realchug: :stoned: :scared: :punk:

Natrlhi
03-24-2010, 12:22 PM
Ya know what else you could do, Brad? Grab yourself a copy of "No Remorse" - it's a 2-CD greatest hits album that is prety much the best "old Motorhead" compilation I've ever heard. That'll get you into the meat & potatoes without messing around with filler tracks and the like real quick like. Just a thought.

EDIT: It's missing stuff like "Deaf Forever", "Built for Speed" and the mighty "Orgasmatron", but that's because it came out before Orgasmatron existed. Still, it's a good album.

ravenheart
03-24-2010, 01:53 PM

And Death take it a step further, and Marduk (random insanely extreme metal band) take it a step further and OH MY GOD EVERYONE'S THE SAME GENRE.

No. Sorry. Fail.

ADD
03-24-2010, 02:55 PM
Just picture a tree.

JRA
03-24-2010, 03:50 PM
If Bouville was still here, this thread would basically be a Schindler's List of who to ban. :eyes:

Oh Nemisis?

es156
03-24-2010, 03:57 PM
If Bouville was still here, this thread would basically be a Schindler's List of who to ban. :eyes:

Oh Nemisis?

:lol:

ADD
03-24-2010, 06:59 PM
Damn where is dude? Still excavating in the mountains of Peru? :D

DethMaiden
03-24-2010, 07:00 PM
Damn where is dude? Still excavating in the mountains of Peru? :D

Very nice reference. :allan:

ADD
03-24-2010, 07:02 PM
Very nice reference. :allan:
:stoned: :eyes: :radar:

DethMaiden
03-24-2010, 07:03 PM
:stoned: :eyes: :radar:

Dunno what any of those mean, but still, any Clutch reference is fine by me. :cool:

youngandaspiring
03-24-2010, 07:36 PM
As a minor flame war in Now Playing shows, there are some bands that I don't like because I tried to like them a long time ago and something never clicked, then it never interested me to go back and try to listen to them again. Some of this stuff I dismissed in junior high school and cling to the belief that it sucks, so, here's a list of bands I'm going to listen to albums from, re-evaluate, and post my findings on. If there's anyone else you suspect I hate that I shouldn't, let me know and I'll consider adding them.

(early) Celtic Frost
Venom
Motorhead
first Bathory record
I didn't like the first Bathory album but they became great towards the Hammerheart days. Into Mega Therion is a beastly record, I don't know if that counts as 'early' Frost though, didn't like their experimental side towards the middle of their career.

And how could any rock fan not love Motorhead???

JRA
03-24-2010, 08:20 PM
And how could any rock fan not love Motorhead???

I've been barking up that tree for 4 years dude.

Bouville didn't like Motorhead either. That's...really weird.

ravenheart
03-25-2010, 10:51 AM
Just picture a tree.

And by the time you get out to the end of the branches bands on opposite sides of the centre bear no relevance to each other.

ravenheart
03-25-2010, 10:52 AM
Bouville didn't like Motorhead either. That's...really weird.

I don't think it's that weird. They aren't that good.

DethMaiden
03-25-2010, 11:56 AM
I really hardly think of anyone in metal except Maiden and Sabbath as good enough to be shocked by someone not liking them.

JRA
03-25-2010, 12:15 PM
I don't think it's that weird. They aren't that good.

Shut up. You didn't even know the guy. He pretty much had love for every extreme metal major player there was. Fuck, a couple of years ago he kept chanting that Mayhem's Ordo Ab Chao would revolutionize metal. He's also quoted that the first metal band he was into was Iron Maiden, and from there he went straight to Possessed, Death, Slayer, and other 80's extreme metal bands, "unlike [us] pussies."

So, for that guy to not like Motorhead, that is weird.

Maiden33
03-25-2010, 12:25 PM
I really hardly think of anyone in metal except Maiden and Sabbath as good enough to be shocked by someone not liking them.

Word. I would say Priest too - but hey, look at me. Not that I don't like them, but well, you and I have been down this road before.

powerslave_85
03-25-2010, 04:46 PM
and from there he went straight to Possessed, Death, Slayer, and other 80's extreme metal bands, "unlike [us] pussies.":lol: I miss that son of a bitch.

youngandaspiring
03-28-2010, 08:34 PM
Never liked Sabbath. too slow and plodding for my taste.

JRA
03-28-2010, 08:39 PM

:ass:

Maiden33
03-28-2010, 09:57 PM

I don't suppose you've heard the non-Ozzy eras of Sabbath then?

youngandaspiring
03-29-2010, 12:08 AM
I don't suppose you've heard the non-Ozzy eras of Sabbath then?
I have, and while I enjoyed TYR, I wouldn't place any of their albums on a pedestal.

I didn't like the Dio albums - I'm just not a fan of his voice. I'm not too big on 70s/early 80s Metal anyway, I prefer the more complex approach it developed during the mid 80s onwards.