PDA

View Full Version : Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones

Crionics
03-23-2010, 11:59 AM
Holy shit this is one mammoth of an album. I don't see any album this year topping it. "Goetia" is a fantastic opener, very heavy. Tom's voice (or is this Santura's?) made me shit a brick on "In Shrouds Decayed." "A Thousand Lies" sounds somewhat like the early Frost..."The Prolonging" sounds like an earthquake. All the songs are fabulous though, I would recomend it to any metal fan. Thoughts?

MPF
03-23-2010, 02:16 PM
Like I posted in another thread....THIS ALBUM IS FUCKING BRUTAL!!!

Ihsahn is still my favorite metal release so far, but god DAMN this one is just simply stunning!

DethMaiden
03-23-2010, 02:24 PM
I accidentally really liked this. I didn't expect it to be good, but lo and behold, it is. Might not be top 10 material for me, but it's probably something I'll buy and spend a lot of time with. It's kind of Double-Plus Monotheist, which is boring and bad but similar stylistically.

ravenheart
03-23-2010, 02:33 PM
Check, check and check.

http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2010/triptykon-eparistera-daimones/

SomewhereInTime72
03-23-2010, 02:37 PM
This has entered my queue of 2010 albums to check out, but probably wont get around to doing until a month after they're released. :eyes: Definitely interested.

ADD
03-23-2010, 03:03 PM
Checked it out, this is some major mehtal :zzz:

JRA
03-23-2010, 03:14 PM
Check, check and check.

"Refreshingly" and "long" should not be put next to each other when talking about album length.

Crionics
03-23-2010, 03:27 PM
Check, check and check.

Nice review, n yeah Tom's voice on Shrouds is pretty dark, atm I can't think of any flaws with this album, sure it's somewhat long, but I don't mind that.

ravenheart
03-23-2010, 04:56 PM
"Refreshingly" and "long" should not be put next to each other when talking about album length.

Only if you have ADHD.

Too many albums coming out right now are too short. Ergo, a long one, especially one which is good, is refreshing. Capiche?

ravenheart
03-23-2010, 04:57 PM
sure it's somewhat long, but I don't mind that.

Me either, because it's a good thing.

JRA
03-23-2010, 04:59 PM
Me either, because it's a good thing.

Fuck no it isn't. Albums should never be longer than an hour, and that's being extremely generous.

idrinkwine732
03-23-2010, 05:07 PM
I love this album.

ravenheart
03-23-2010, 05:15 PM
Fuck no it isn't. Albums should never be longer than an hour, and that's being extremely generous.

Bull, and indeed, shit. I have a craptonne of albums over an hour that I love. When they're done well there is absolutely not reason whatsoever why albums should be shortened to anything less than what they're intended to be just to accommodate listeners who can't concentrate for that long. Hell, Ayreon's 'The Human Equation' is flawless from start to finish, nothing should be cut, and it's over two hours long.

Try some Jedi meditation to focus your mind.

Or listen to Hatebreed albums.

mankvill
03-23-2010, 05:41 PM
Checked it out, this is some major mehtal :zzz:

Nigga what

ADD
03-23-2010, 05:42 PM
Damn :lol: I've heard few albums that are longer than an hour that are great all the way through, if a band can succeed in putting together 360 consecutive minutes of great music together than bring on the octuple LP, I don't care, but I'd say 99% of all records I'd consider essential are on the short side of 60 mins.

mankvill
03-23-2010, 05:43 PM
I guess Metalsetlists has found it's "Gin" of 2k10 :lol:

DethMaiden
03-23-2010, 05:45 PM
I guess Metalsetlists has found it's "Gin" of 2k10 :lol:

Easy there, cowboy. ;) I like it a lot but come on.

ADD
03-23-2010, 05:46 PM
This is who listens to Triptykon http://pix.motivatedphotos.com/2009/10/22/633917804254607735-beefeatersgin.jpg

mankvill
03-23-2010, 05:48 PM
Easy there, cowboy. ;) I like it a lot but come on.

I mean that it's divisive. I know someone here didn't get the hype behind Gin last year.

Also: u jus mad cuz Tom G Warrior stylin on u

DethMaiden
03-23-2010, 05:51 PM
I mean that it's divisive. I know someone here didn't get the hype behind Gin last year.

Also: u jus mad cuz Tom G Warrior stylin on u

Yeah, that's true. I think I'm gonna end up right down that division line when it's all said and done. It has some immediate impact but it doesn't feel like a grower; quite the contrary. I'll judge it more thoroughly after listen #2.

ravenheart
03-23-2010, 06:07 PM
I'd say 99% of all records I'd consider essential are on the short side of 60 mins.

That's because 99% of all albums are on the short side of 60 mins...

Maiden33
03-23-2010, 08:41 PM

True.

Generally speaking, I'm with you. Obviously I think there are exceptions to every rule - albums can rule at virtually any length. But I think an album that manages to be amazing at a longer length ultimately will trump an album which rules at 35 minutes. If you can write twice the amount of music and not drop off in quality, my hat is off to you.

I think it's important to sight a difference - and that is that I don't think yu can fault band that makes a 35 or 40-minute album because they happen to just write short, to-the-point songs. If a band turns out a 10-track album where almost all the tracks are only 3-minutes and change, it's going to be short, even if it fires on cylinders and maximizes all the opportunities. But the one thing I can't stand is when a band is able and willing to write average-to-long length tracks, but will turn in an album with 9 tracks, two of which are interludes, and the whole thing clocks in around 40 minutes. It's annoying, and usually feels like the band just isn't trying hard enough, or they're afraid they don't have enough depth of songwriting to write a longer album.

Natrlhi
03-24-2010, 09:46 AM

This statement, like others made by certain folks around here with that oh-so-familiar (and oh-so-erroneous) all-or-nothing mentality, is just ludicrous. It screams "fallacy" as it's rolling off your very tongue, don't you get that? You're basically saying that no album longer than an hour can ever be a good album, regardless of what's on it. How could that possibly be true?!?

You're a smart guy, Josh, but some of the things you say just make me scratch my head. I've noticed that most of the time this happens, it's when you're arguing with your emotions instead of your mind. Just an observation.

If you'd have simply said, "this album is too long for my taste", nobody would have argued with you.

ADD
03-24-2010, 10:31 AM

Good point :lol:

JRA
03-24-2010, 10:50 AM
This statement, like others made by certain folks around here with that oh-so-familiar (and oh-so-erroneous) all-or-nothing mentality, is just ludicrous. It screams "fallacy" as it's rolling off your very tongue, don't you get that? You're basically saying that no album longer than an hour can ever be a good album, regardless of what's on it. How could that possibly be true?!?

You're a smart guy, Josh, but some of the things you say just make me scratch my head. I've noticed that most of the time this happens, it's when you're arguing with your emotions instead of your mind. Just an observation.

If you'd have simply said, "this album is too long for my taste", nobody would have argued with you.

I meant to say no album by the average band should be longer than an hour. What I was getting at was it should be the exception rather than the rule.

The greatest double album of all time, Electric Ladyland, is 75 minutes long. I have yet to hear a studio album longer than that which is consistently great the whole way through, therefore, going past that point is where my "all or nothing" blah blah blah mentality kicks in. But usually if an album is longer than an hour, I think it's because the artist's ego has grown way the fuck too big. "Oh we have so much great new music" shut the fuck up, no you don't. And for those of you wondering "well you just said Jimi Hendrix got away with it..."

YOU ARE NOT JIMI HENDRIX, ASSHOLE.

daimonos
03-24-2010, 03:54 PM
I've listened to it multiple times since it came out yesterday and I gotta say I'm really enjoying it.

And it's not about the length of the album, it's about the album in general, and I think that the length compliments the material that's on the album. It really didn't seem that long every time I listened to it.

idrinkwine732
03-24-2010, 04:23 PM
If it stays consistent, I don't think length matters too much.

Also, I'm 90% sure "LORD HAVE MERCY UPON ME" is this year's "THERE IS NO GOD BUT GOD"

JRA
03-24-2010, 04:46 PM
Also, I'm 90% sure "LORD HAVE MERCY UPON ME" is this year's "THERE IS NO GOD BUT GOD"

Don't you mean "OH GOD WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME"?

idrinkwine732
03-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Don't you mean "OH GOD WHY HAVE YOU FORSAKEN ME"?

In Goetia? Pretty sure it's have mercy.

daimonos
03-24-2010, 05:10 PM
In Goetia? Pretty sure it's have mercy.

He's referring to "Ground" from Monotheist I believe.

But personally I prefer the "Lie after lie, mankind shall die" line :rocker:

Crionics
03-24-2010, 05:21 PM

:rocker:

JRA
03-24-2010, 05:28 PM

Yup.

DethMaiden
03-24-2010, 05:29 PM
If it stays consistent, I don't think length matters too much.

Ha, interesting comparison. THERE IS NO GOD BUT GOD is fucking fantastic.

idrinkwine732
03-24-2010, 06:02 PM

My bad. That entire chorus is rockin if you ask me.

Crionics
03-24-2010, 06:56 PM
My bad. That entire chorus is rockin if you ask me.

Goetia=Sex okay? :D