PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Computer Program

ChildrenofSodom
03-22-2010, 07:53 AM
So, I am working on a project with my aunt to update my family genealogy. My cousin wrote a book 30 years ago and we are trying to update it and include some new stuff. One of my ideas was to provide some statistics about our family, such as average age of marriage, age of death, number of kids, most common names for men and women, list of other surnames that married into ours, etc. There are hundreds of people in the book, however, and it would be very cumbersome to do it all by hand. So, I figured I could type all the info into an excel sheet and do it from there.

Does anyone know of a good program that I can just plug in data, in excel format preferably, and pop out stats? Preferably free and online. I may be able to do what I want in excel, but I know there are other programs out there that can do it a lot easier. Someone told me Mac has a program that would do the job, but I have a PC.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

EDIT: Excel does all that stuff. Nevermind. Close please.

ravenheart
03-22-2010, 10:50 AM
So's your family famous/important? Would I have heard of them?

I mean, clearly they are to you, but as the subject of a book? Or is the book actually about genealogy just using our family as the case study?

ChildrenofSodom
03-22-2010, 11:01 AM
So's your family famous/important? Would I have heard of them?

I mean, clearly they are to you, but as the subject of a book? Or is the book actually about genealogy just using our family as the case study?

Its a book about my family's history and lineage, tracing back to 3 dudes born in the late 1800s. Its just for us. By book, I meant "a bunch of papers glued together and sold at cost" so that people in our family can learn more about themselves.

mankvill
03-22-2010, 11:30 AM
I'M RELATED TO JOHN HANCOCK C:

DethMaiden
03-22-2010, 11:31 AM

I'm related to John Wilkes Booth, motherfucker.

Natrlhi
03-22-2010, 11:33 AM
The real John Hancock, who signed the Declaration of Independence, or your creepy uncle John who always walks around with his hands down his pants?

Natrlhi
03-22-2010, 11:34 AM
I'm related to John Wilkes Booth, motherfucker.Well, I have his body.

DethMaiden
03-22-2010, 11:34 AM
Well, I have his body.

:D Yes, it's true.

Derelict
03-22-2010, 11:35 AM
Well, I have his body.

Beat me to it prick

ChildrenofSodom
03-22-2010, 11:41 AM
My great great grandfathers name was David Crocket Quillen.

And he was from Kentucky.

Div
03-22-2010, 11:42 AM
im somewhat related to andy warhol

mankvill
03-22-2010, 11:53 AM
I'm related to John Wilkes Booth, motherfucker.

Everyone in grade school said they were related to John Wilkes Booth. Maybe he was a gigolo or something.

DethMaiden
03-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Everyone in grade school said they were related to John Wilkes Booth. Maybe he was a gigolo or something.

:lol: Someone up the chain of great-great-grandmothers married his brother, it's not super-related. ;)

mankvill
03-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Oh wait:

http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.booth/1813/mb.ashx

DethMaiden
03-22-2010, 11:57 AM
Oh wait:

http://boards.ancestry.com/surnames.booth/1813/mb.ashx

Yeah, I think one of those wives of a brother is my grandma's great-grandma or something, but I don't recall exactly. My last name isn't Booth, obviously, so it probably wasn't a direct link.

mankvill
03-22-2010, 12:00 PM
Yeah, I think one of those wives of a brother is my grandma's great-grandma or something, but I don't recall exactly. My last name isn't Booth, obviously, so it probably wasn't a direct link.

That's awesome. :party:

SomewhereInTime72
03-22-2010, 12:55 PM
John Petrucci is in my family tree somewhere. :radar: