10.Rock Hard, Ride Free
11.Night Comes Down
12.The Hellion
13.Electric Eye
14.Heavy Duty
15.Defenders Of The Faith
16.Freewheel Burning
17.Victim Of Changes
18.The Green Manalishi (With The Two Pronged Crown)
--------------------------------
19.Hell Bent For Leather
20.Living After Midnight
--------------------------------
21.You've Got Another Thing Coming

TonyD
03-21-2010, 12:40 PM
That's a fucking awesome set, even though there are only 4 pre-1980 songs.

es156
03-21-2010, 12:53 PM
When I was a freshman in high school I really wanted to see this tour, but there was no way I could make it. What a great set list.

JudasPriest89
03-21-2010, 01:15 PM
When I was a freshman in high school I really wanted to see this tour, but there was no way I could make it. What a great set list.

That sucks man,But you're lucky you lived in that generation,Because this one fucking sucks

Maiden33
03-21-2010, 01:18 PM
That sucks man,But you're lucky you lived in that generation,Because this one fucking sucks

:tp:

This generation has a shit-ton of great bands. I'm obviously willing to concede that the popularity of GOOD metal is nowhere near what it used to be, but popularity can kiss my ass. So what if the bands I love today are playing half empty clubs instead of sold-out arenas and amphitheaters? The music is still alive, and there are countless bands out there today keeping great metal live. I don't like this attitude from people like "Oh metal was amazing in the 80s but it sucks now" - it's no different, it's just that what people like us considering "good" metal is nowhere near as popular as it once was outside of a few bands, and shitty metal is popular these days.

JudasPriest89
03-21-2010, 01:42 PM
:tp:

This generation has a shit-ton of great bands. I'm obviously willing to concede that the popularity of GOOD metal is nowhere near what it used to be, but popularity can kiss my ass. So what if the bands I love today are playing half empty clubs instead of sold-out arenas and amphitheaters? The music is still alive, and there are countless bands out there today keeping great metal live. I don't like this attitude from people like "Oh metal was amazing in the 80s but it sucks now" - it's no different, it's just that what people like us considering "good" metal is nowhere near as popular as it once was outside of a few bands, and shitty metal is popular these days.

I'm not bashing modern METAL,because I like quite a few modern metal bands,I'm talking about these shitty pop bands like the fucking "Jonas Brothers"...ugh.... it makes me SICK!:barf:

bt11763
03-21-2010, 01:51 PM
I'm not bashing modern METAL,because I like quite a few modern metal bands,I'm talking about these shitty pop bands like the fucking "Jonas Brothers"...ugh.... it makes me SICK!:barf:

You do realize that every generation had their own crap like the Jonas Brothers right? Especially the 70's and 80's, they had a notable abundance of shit pop.

LRN2 Music history/trends

idrinkwine732
03-21-2010, 02:32 PM
I like that I can go see my favorite band play a bar instead of an arena. The intimate feeling can't really happen in an arena. I think I actually prefer it...

Sanitarium78
03-21-2010, 02:34 PM

You honestly think pop music today is worse than what it was in the 80s? As someone who was a little kid back then, I suggest for educational purposes you listen to some of the garbage churned out by such 80s acts as Culture Club, Wham, Chicago, Richard Marx and The Go-Gos. Then tell me that todays pop is any worse than this crap.

It wasn't just all metal that was popular back then. Metal thrieved in the mainstream during this decade but it didn't dominate the charts as much as some people think it did. Bands like The Big Four, Ozzy, Dio, Priest and Maiden sold very well and are the main artists responsible for it's popularity then. But besides those bands most other metal acts weren't topping the charts and getting gold and platinum records. While it was popular it wasn't the only thing people were listening to then.

TonyD
03-21-2010, 03:01 PM
I like that I can go see my favorite band play a bar instead of an arena. The intimate feeling can't really happen in an arena. I think I actually prefer it...

Or at least a theater. I think it's better because it optimizes the tradeoff between sound/intensity and intimacy.

Dextrimental
03-21-2010, 04:08 PM
I agree with the statement about metal being better back then for one reason, and thats the boundaries that were pushed and the way in which which they were pushed. Bands were really trying to be different and merge sounds together alot than today, then again if you look underground there is still alot of different things being done, its just that the BIG changes were made in the 'golden' era of metal. Nowadays you hafta be more obscene than cannibal corpse for your artwork and heavier than, well, essentially a wall of noise to top whats been done. But, as I said, there are still great pioneers in every style and genre pushing things forward in the right way and what not.

SomewhereInTime72
03-21-2010, 06:26 PM
Actually, 80s pop music was awesome.

Maiden33
03-21-2010, 07:01 PM

Word. Pop music today is absolutely garbage, but I'm not ashamed to admit there was a lot of decent 80s pop. That was back when pop music actually had a sound that was definitively "pop music" - not just shitty electronic noises, hip-hop beats, and autotuned vocals.

DethMaiden
03-21-2010, 07:01 PM

That's a pretty fucking general statement. Pretty sure pop music from every decade has been a decent mix of good and crap.

Maiden33
03-21-2010, 07:04 PM
That's a pretty fucking general statement. Pretty sure pop music from every decade has been a decent mix of good and crap.

There is no pop music from this decade (at least the last quite a few years) that I like - or even really can tolerate. Even 90s pop music as a collective shits on current pop music, and I think 80s definitely does. If you were to compile a list of 100 random successful pop songs from the 80s and 100 random successful pop songs from the past 5 or 10 years, and I guarantee you the number of songs I somewhat enjoy would be about 10x higher on the 80s list. I would guarantee it.

DethMaiden
03-21-2010, 07:07 PM
There is no pop music from this decade (at least the last quite a few years) that I like - or even really can tolerate. Even 90s pop music as a collective shits on current pop music, and I think 80s definitely does. If you were to compile a list of 100 random successful pop songs from the 80s and 100 random successful pop songs from the past 5 or 10 years, and I guarantee you the number of songs I somewhat enjoy would be about 10x higher on the 80s list. I would guarantee it.

Alright. Definitely a taste thing, though. There's about a half dozen pop artists right now that I absolutely adore and I think a good bit of 80s pop sounds painfully dated.

Maiden33
03-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Alright. Definitely a taste thing, though. There's about a half dozen pop artists right now that I absolutely adore and I think a good bit of 80s pop sounds painfully dated.

Figures. I think lady Gaga is absolutely fucking terrible, and abomination to music as a whole. Every time I see her, I throw up in my mouth a little bit, haha.

DethMaiden
03-21-2010, 07:10 PM
Figures. I think lady Gaga is absolutely fucking terrible, and abomination to music as a whole. Every time I see her, I throw up in my mouth a little bit, haha.

I'd link you to videos of her performing "Speechless" or "Paparazzi" live, but since it would be a waste of my time, I will agree to disagree. ;)

Maiden33
03-21-2010, 07:13 PM
I'd link you to videos of her performing "Speechless" or "Paparazzi" live, but since it would be a waste of my time, I will agree to disagree. ;)

If this is to convince me about the live spectacle that pop music is, I don't need to have it proven - I've seen enough to know. But that being said, there is absolutely no way on earth I will ever concede that they have any relevance to someone who truly cares about musical integrity and musical performance. If I want a spectacle, I'll go to the circus.

DethMaiden
03-21-2010, 07:14 PM
If this is to convince me about the live spectacle that pop music is, I don't need to have it proven - I've seen enough to know. But that being said, there is absolutely no way on earth I will ever concede that they have any relevance to someone who truly cares about musical integrity and musical performance. If I want a spectacle, I'll go to the circus.

The opposite, actually. She does those at a piano with nothing but the keys and her voice. I knew you would have that precise reaction to the rest of her set. ;)

Maiden33
03-21-2010, 07:17 PM
The opposite, actually. She does those at a piano with nothing but the keys and her voice. I knew you would have that precise reaction to the rest of her set. ;)

Well, I guess you learn something new every day. I mean, I guess I have gained a small bit of respect, though it's not exactly a bigass deal to play the piano. Nevertheless - I may hate her a small amount less now.

DethMaiden
03-21-2010, 07:18 PM
Well, I guess you learn something new every day. I mean, I guess I have gained a small bit of respect, though it's not exactly a bigass deal to play the piano. Nevertheless - I may hate her a small amount less now.

Then my work here is done. It's time for me to go back to listening to my pussy, manufactured pop music now. :tongue:

SomewhereInTime72
03-21-2010, 07:24 PM

Yeah, but there was a sound to 80s pop that was really distinct, and it's a good one. You can identify 80s pop by those sounds, just like you can identify late 90s pop by the boy-band sounds, and last five years by autotune abuse. ;) Relatively speaking compared to the phases that pop has been through over the years, the 80s were awesome.

I mean, Thriller, dude. Thriller!

youngandaspiring
03-22-2010, 01:56 AM
Rather than making uninformed judgments based on hearsay, I recommend you:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q0M2u-cu0so

Yes, she does look somewhat ridiculously pompous, but so did Mercury and Halford.

Edit - Priest!

Natrlhi
03-22-2010, 07:25 AM
I'm so glad I clicked on the link to this Judas Priest thread, because I was looking forward to some good discussion on that topic. :eyes:

JudasPriest89
03-24-2010, 02:45 PM
You do realize that every generation had their own crap like the Jonas Brothers right? Especially the 70's and 80's, they had a notable abundance of shit pop.

True,But I think this generations is probablly the worst