PDA

View Full Version : Metallica plotting 2011 tour "to rival 'The Wall' tour"

Pastulio_
03-16-2010, 02:59 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/upcoming_tours/metallica_plotting_2011_tour_to_rival_pinks_floyds _the_wall.html

No one can rival Pink Floyd and their theatrics, but if that's what this short tour is about, I'm curious to see what they come up with. 10 epic 'Evening With' style dates around the world with full albums being played, including rare songs that have never been played before perhaps? Could be amazing. If there's a US date I'll probably make the trip to see it.

idrinkwine732
03-16-2010, 03:09 PM
I'd travel a bit if it were what it claims to be.

mankvill
03-16-2010, 03:11 PM
Ride The Lightning in its entirety!

DethMaiden
03-16-2010, 03:11 PM
This would be a cool way to check them off my list, and if it hit London in the summer that would be wicked convenient since I'll be there for an internship.

ravenheart
03-16-2010, 03:13 PM

It will be Puppets and you know it.

Read this yesterday/day before. London is bound to be included, so I'll be there.

mankvill
03-16-2010, 03:18 PM
It will be Puppets and you know it.

Read this yesterday/day before. London is bound to be included, so I'll be there.

They've done puppets in its entirety before a couple years back, so maybe they'll do others? I mean, they just about play nearly every song off of Ride The Lightning already.

TonyD
03-16-2010, 03:22 PM

I'd shit

JRA
03-16-2010, 03:23 PM
It should be Ride The Lightning, but I'm not sure how great of a stage show that would be.

Who the fuck goes to Metallica shows for stage shows anyway?

powerslave_85
03-16-2010, 03:23 PM
THISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHISTHIS

ravenheart
03-16-2010, 03:26 PM
Who the fuck goes to Metallica shows for stage shows anyway?

That's what makes it special.

makethemsuffer12
03-16-2010, 03:29 PM
I'm really hoping there will be an East Coast date of sorts.

bt11763
03-16-2010, 03:31 PM
I'm really hoping there will be an East Coast date of sorts.

you and me are in the same boat bro.

Uncle_Meat1940
03-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Metallica is nowhere near as good as Pink Floyd in any way, shape, or form.

Kirk Whammit and James Hetfield aren't even worthy of cleaning the shit off the bottom of David Gilmour's shoes with their tongues. The fact that they even thought about comparing themselves to Floyd just makes me hate Metallica even more.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Cliff Burton Band, but Metallica sucks.

TonyD
03-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Metallica is nowhere near as good as Pink Floyd in any way, shape, or form.

Kirk Whammit and James Hetfield aren't even worthy of cleaning the shit off the bottom of David Gilmour's shoes with their tongues. The fact that they even thought about comparing themselves to Floyd just makes me hate Metallica even more.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Cliff Burton Band, but Metallica sucks.

Apples and oranges... :tp:

Sanitarium78
03-16-2010, 04:14 PM
They've done puppets in its entirety before a couple years back, so maybe they'll do others? I mean, they just about play nearly every song off of Ride The Lightning already.

Yes, they did but they only did it at a handful of shows. Whatever this show is supposed to be it's deffinately gonna include MOP in full. If anyone doubts this is the case, just know that next year marks the 25th anniversary of the album.

Uncle_Meat1940
03-16-2010, 04:18 PM
Apples and oranges... :tp:

That's why I was so surprised they used that comparison in the first place since there are plenty of heavier bands that are renowned for their stage shows as well. haha

AnthG
03-16-2010, 06:18 PM
2011 is the 20th anniversary of the Black album

AAnnnnddd everyone is no longer excited.

SomewhereInTime72
03-16-2010, 09:45 PM

Was about to post this.

rjturtle9
03-16-2010, 09:56 PM

What a boner kill :bouville:

idrinkwine732
03-16-2010, 10:26 PM
Ah shit.

TonyD
03-16-2010, 10:52 PM
Wow elephant in the room :lol:
It might actually be cool. If it's gonna be as awesome as they're making it sound, it should be worth it just to see. Not to mention Holier Than Thou, Of Wolf and Man and a couple others.

Natrlhi
03-17-2010, 06:20 AM
Not to mention Holier Than Thou, Of Wolf and Man and a couple others.Yeah, I've always kinda liked "Don't Tread on Me" as well. Is that so wrong? :eyes:

Maiden33
03-17-2010, 08:20 AM
The problem with this is that no matter what they do, Metallica's still going to be performing...

:D

Just kidding - nobody start a flame war.

The_jman
03-17-2010, 09:52 AM
black in its entirety would be amazing just saying, don't tread on me, my friend of misery, struggle within, god that failed, through the never, not to mention the classics from that album. mop and black live in the same show?

DethMaiden
03-17-2010, 09:58 AM
black in its entirety would be amazing just saying, don't tread on me, my friend of misery, struggle within, god that failed, through the never, not to mention the classics from that album. mop and black live in the same show?

I can actually see that happening, and what a special experience that would be. :drool:

ravenheart
03-17-2010, 10:18 AM
What a boner kill :bouville:

It's still a good album.

Crionics
03-17-2010, 10:24 AM
eh Black is a decent album, had some good songs, but I wouldn't want to hear all of it live

Uncle_Meat1940
03-17-2010, 12:46 PM
I would only be willing to travel (odds are the couple dates won't be in MN) if they were playing Kill Em All and Ride the Lightning. MAYBE if it was one of those and Puppets, otherwise I wouldn't catch that. Im already traveling to Summer Camp 2010 in May, Iron Maiden and The Central Illinois Metalfest in July, and Phish in August. haha

ravenheart
03-17-2010, 12:58 PM
I think we can pretty much narrow down the cities to ten from:

New York
London
Paris
Tokyo
Helsinki
Stockholm
Dublin
San Francisco
Copenhagen
Montreal
Moscow
Madrid
Barcelona

Etc.

Uncle_Meat1940
03-17-2010, 01:00 PM
Ya, I'm not nearly a big enough Metallica fan to travel even a couple states over, let alone half the country. haha

idrinkwine732
03-17-2010, 03:48 PM
San Francisco

I actually feel pretty secure in getting a date if this does happen, as they found their home here in the 80s. Plus there are a lot of older people in the crowd who still know how to thrash.

JuuKun
03-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Yeah. I don't care nearly enough about Metallica to go out of my way to see them. Probably the closest date would be NYC, and I highly doubt I'd go that far for them.

Pastulio_
03-17-2010, 05:55 PM
I really hope it's not Black in full. Remember, it's also the 25th anniversary of Puppets.

SerpentineVIVIVI
03-17-2010, 05:58 PM
I wouldn't go to this even if someone payed me. No matter what album they perform in its entirety, no matter what they pull out of their assess, it just will not sound anything like the original. It will be a shitty, second hand version of the masterpiece original. James' shitty voice, Kirk's meh playing and Lars' abysmal drumming overpower any setlist they could ever come up with. A legit cover band could play ANY Metallica song better than they could themselves.

ravenheart
03-17-2010, 07:45 PM
I wouldn't go to this even if someone payed me. No matter what album they perform in its entirety, no matter what they pull out of their assess, it just will not sound anything like the original. It will be a shitty, second hand version of the masterpiece original. James' shitty voice, Kirk's meh playing and Lars' abysmal drumming overpower any setlist they could ever come up with. A legit cover band could play ANY Metallica song better than they could themselves.

So you wasted your time joining in this thread why, exactly?

SerpentineVIVIVI
03-17-2010, 07:49 PM
So you wasted your time joining in this thread why, exactly?

Because I see all these debates about Metallica and they all are so ridiculous. This album, this one, play this song, etc. It just gets real tedious to have to see the same thing over and over again, so I felt like demonstrating my own opinion on this internet forum about metal music.

Is that good enough for you? If not, freedom of speech should do just fine.

Maiden33
03-17-2010, 07:54 PM

I am so with you it's not even funny.

DethMaiden
03-17-2010, 07:56 PM
It's a fair point, mostly because of James singing like a redneck nowadays instead of using his awesome thrash bark, but for an event like this, I think I'd go.

idrinkwine732
03-17-2010, 08:01 PM
I just want to see them again, but it's not like I'll be catching them every time they come around.

Natrlhi
03-18-2010, 05:55 AM

It's a fair point, mostly because of James singing like a redneck nowadays instead of using his awesome thrash bark, but for an event like this, I think I'd go.

I agree with Brad that it's a fair point, but only to the extent that the "fair point" in question is simply that Metallica isn't as good as they used to be. However, Serpentine takes things a little too far, I think, when he says that any legit Metallica cover band could play the songs better than Metallica themselves. That just doesn't make sense. They are the ones who invented the riffs and solos and vocals and such - and even if they don't do as good of a job at execution as they once did - and I'll get to why that is in a second - they are still the ones who created the music in the first place. Who else would know it better than them? Who else would understand where the accents should be? Where you should sing out, or jam extra hard, or throw in a little creative variation here or there? The ones that created the songs in the first place, that's who.

As a case in point, I refer back to only five days ago to the Voivod set I saw in Columbus. While they certainly don't sound the same as they did on the Nothingface album (which was released more than TWO FUCKING DECADES AGO), they still sounded awesome. Nobody does Voivod like Voivod.

...and nobody does Metallica like Metallica.

As to why they don't sound exactly the same now as they did back then, I should think the answer to that would be rather obvious, but apparently I have to explain it. The answer is simply age, and what it does to your body. Forget mental attitude - the best of the best still have it...Voivod, Metallica, Slayer - hell, even Ozzy and Dio, for that matter.

You "young punks" will understand all too well what I am talking about one day. Even though I still try very hard to take care of myself physically, and in some ways, I'm in the best shape of my life, there are just some things I can no longer do anymore, and as much as I hate to face up to that fact, it's true. The same goes for musicians. As hard as they may try to keep their skills up, the years of wear and tear on joints and ligaments in the fingers and feet - and especially vocal cords - is inevitable and unavoidable.

When I saw Metallica last October, I was very happy to see that those guys still have that much energy at their age, and as an "almost-forty", I can really appreciate that. They are slightly older than me, and they were doing things that I probably couldn't do - and they were doing it every couple of days. I take my hat off to them, and any other band who still manages to stay relevant as long as they have.

I'll be the first to admit, there are bands that should just know when to hang it up (ahem - Rolling Stones - cough, cough), but luckily for us fans who still long for a piece of the good ol' days, bands like Slayer and Metallica still have a bit left in the tank for another run or two. ...and luckily for all of you Maiden fanatics, so does that band, by the looks of what I've seen in their Flight 666 video.

So quit your bitching and enjoy the founding fathers while they are still around to share their amazing and hugely influential art with you.

...or, you could just shut the fuck up - which was pretty much Ravenheart's point, I think. ;)

:soapbox:

SerpentineVIVIVI
03-18-2010, 06:25 AM
Very valid point. There's one problem I always have with the age argument though, and that's that other bands who have still stayed relevant and are as old (if not older) as Metallica do what they do 100x better than they do. Dio, while not sounding exactly like he did back in his Rainbow days (or his early solo days), still has a monster voice. Rob Halford still has a killer voice, Bruce Dickinson is arguably in his prime, the list can go on. And all the aforementioned have been around longer than have Metallica.

And if you want to go more relevant to their time period, Chuck Billy absolutely slays, and while Dave Mustaine doesn't sound exactly like he did circa R.I.P. era, he still sounds quite good enough to be giving justice to his old material. And we could go on and on about Kirk's playing style and how practically every band in that same period still piss on him, and even more extremely does that apply with Lars. I don't think I even need to mention that, and I certainly don't want to.

Where I'm getting at is simply there's too much evidence to defend Metallica with age. I understand they are the original creators, they should be given some props for still doing their thing, but I don't see it that way (fully). While it is admirable that they are still doing this and giving shows and making albums, there is a balance. And the balance has most definitely shown that it is in the negative, at least for me. Weak playing, weak voice, and weak showcasing of classic material that I hold dear to my metal heart compared to a kudos for still doing what they do. That's my scale.

Natrlhi
03-18-2010, 08:05 AM
^ Fair enough. ;)

JRA
03-18-2010, 08:18 AM
If ticket prices weren't a million fucking dollars, I'd go see the Stones live over Metallica any day. They may look old as balls, but at least they still sound like the Rolling Stones.

ADD
03-18-2010, 09:12 AM
If ticket prices weren't a million fucking dollars, I'd go see the Stones live over Metallica any day. They may look old as balls, but at least they still sound like the Rolling Stones.
Which is to say, they still sound old as balls.

SomewhereInTime72
03-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Which is to say, they still sound old as balls.

:lol: :lol: :D

mankvill
03-18-2010, 10:37 AM
I'd see the Rolling Stones if they played the Elite Beat Agents version of Jumpin' Jack Flash.

Uncle_Meat1940
03-18-2010, 01:31 PM

I paid like, 50 some dollars when I saw them in '05

makethemsuffer12
03-18-2010, 02:56 PM
Here to add to the whole Metallica sounding like crap thing. In all truth and honestly, we have to be real here, they really don't sound all that great nowadays, especially when listening to recorded audio or live videos. But when you are actually there at the show and in the moment, the quality of their playing almost takes a backseat to what it probably the most important thing in a live atmosphere: the energy. Long story short, it's just fun, plain and simple. Are they best live band out there? Far from it. Are their shows an absolutly terrible experience? Not at all. The way I see it, the shows are a celebration of the band's great musical career with everyone just having a good time (even you Rodrigo/Serpentine, don't deny it), regardless whether their actually playing is top notch or not. Do cover/tribute bands play Metallica's songs better than they do? In the best cases, most likely yes. But I think most people can agree that there is something special about seeing the songs played by the ones who actually created and perfected them. That's just my view on the whole thing.

RattleHead26
03-20-2010, 02:16 PM
god, i hope they play st. anger in its entirety.. :D

/sarcasm

someone had to say it, right?

tdunks523
03-22-2010, 04:42 PM
how could metallica rival the wall when metallica suck and pink floyd are amazing?

mankvill
03-22-2010, 05:12 PM
how could metallica rival the wall when metallica suck and pink floyd are amazing?

I'd rather see Brokencyde than see Pink Floyd.

IrritatedTrout
03-22-2010, 05:13 PM
So what made The Wall tour that amazing? I don't know anything about Floyd.

mankvill
03-22-2010, 05:20 PM
So what made The Wall tour that amazing? I don't know anything about Floyd.

Bunch of fucking hippies tripping for 3 hours on acid while boring space rock played, of course they're gonna orgasm.

TonyD
03-22-2010, 05:50 PM
You're a butthole

idrinkwine732
03-22-2010, 05:57 PM

Bunch of fucking hippies tripping for 3 hours on acid while boring space rock played, of course they're gonna orgasm.

Have I ever told you how sad you make me sometimes?

mankvill
03-22-2010, 06:01 PM
Have I ever told you how sad you make me sometimes?

:D you love me

DethMaiden
03-22-2010, 06:13 PM
Manks, your vitriol for Pink Floyd and Tool fucking baffles me, dude. I just don't see how you can waste so much active hate on them, even if you don't like them.

es156
03-22-2010, 06:31 PM

:mad:

:bricks:

Div
03-22-2010, 06:33 PM

srsly brah, srsly

TonyD
03-22-2010, 06:36 PM
Ya'll need to go do some drugs.

mankvill
03-22-2010, 06:41 PM
srsly brah, srsly

okay, maybe not brokencyde

attack attack definitely tho

300%_Density
03-22-2010, 07:03 PM
Damnit I was gonna attack about the Brokencyde comment, I got beat to it. I don't get the Pink Floyd hate either. I'm sure I would hate a band that actually for a headling show actually plays... god forbid... a 3 hour set. What a crime.

tdunks523
03-26-2010, 08:15 PM

your an idiot then

TonyD
03-26-2010, 08:17 PM
your an idiot then

What about his an idiot?

Natrlhi
03-26-2010, 08:22 PM
your an idiot then

Says the guy who can't tell sarcasm from his ass (or spell "you're" correctly).

mankvill
03-26-2010, 08:39 PM
your an idiot then

My idiot is nothing what you say he is, sir.

rjturtle9
03-26-2010, 08:46 PM
My idiot is nothing what you say he is, sir.

Took me a while, but I get it. Looks like im the idiot :tongue: