PDA

View Full Version : How My Summer Was Ruined

Butcher of Birth
03-16-2010, 03:51 PM
So while I was at school and my father was at work our Credit Card companies called. "We would like to ask you about some odd and questionable purchases," that's what the voicemail said on the Home Telephone. Turns out that someone out there in the Internet World got a hold of our card numbers and using the old expiration dates to buy "Computer Hardware" and items from "Hobby Toys" so they cancelled our cards.

So at 10am tomorrow, I can't buy any pre-sale tickets, one of the main reasons, if not THE main reason I joined the Iron Maiden Fan Club was those pre-sale tickets. And now Iron Maiden and Ticketmaster wanna join forces and Royally SCREW The fans. Since the only way I can buy tickets AND go to the concert is to be the holder of the Credit Card. It was suppose to be My father, 2 friends, and myself, all fans of Maiden. I am 17 years old, still in High School, and living under my father's roof, why the hell would I need a Credit Card?!

Iron Maiden always talks about how "oh the fans are getting younger and younger, we love seeing new and young generations," so does that mean that expect their Parents to want to see Iron Maiden or walk their sons or daughters to the Venue Doors? NO!

Let It Be Known: Ticket-less Tickets FUCKS over the fans, because now I don't have a Card, and I can't ask someone in my family to let me us their cards because THEY ARE NOT GOING!

I had the perfect summer planned... See Iron Maiden in DC and then fly to Wacken and see them, but now there is a chance I won't be able to do either if my father can't get a credit card soon to pay for those Airline Fares.

I would rather face scalpers and still be able to go then not go at all...

Thanks a Bunch Ticketmaster (and slightly you too Rod Smallwood)

ravenheart
03-16-2010, 03:56 PM
You can't use a debit card...?

SirLardsAlot
03-16-2010, 03:57 PM
I feel your pain, however, there are a few flaws.

1. It's LiveNation for this tour, not TicketMaster.

2. Maiden isn't the only band that does their tickets online, it's ALL bands.

DethMaiden
03-16-2010, 03:58 PM
You can't use a debit card...?

Not if he isn't 18, at least if Florida is anything like Ohio.

And this sucks majorly dude. I remember before I turned 18 I'd always physically go to a Ticketmaster outlet, pay in cash, and walk out with a physical ticket. Moving away from that definitely hurts young people the most.

ravenheart
03-16-2010, 04:03 PM
Oh... different here. I had a debit card when I was about 14.

Well that sucks.

ravenheart
03-16-2010, 04:09 PM

Same company.

powerslave_85
03-16-2010, 04:25 PM
So you can't get a physical ticket, even if you want to?

ravenheart
03-16-2010, 04:27 PM
So you can't get a physical ticket, even if you want to?

That's the way it's going. A few venues here no longer produce physical tickets and just have a list on the door. Which blows.

mankvill
03-16-2010, 04:46 PM
I know the Sprint Center does ticketless entry here, but so far I've only seen it done for AC/DC, bands like Bon Jovi and random country acts.

I do find it kind of odd for metal bands to be ticketless, because most fans would wanna keep their tickets!

Maiden33
03-16-2010, 05:01 PM

Exactly. This stupid Paperless Ticketing horeshit is LiveNation's shtick. I fucking hate it too, and it has nothing to do with Maiden, they're merely jumping on a hot bandwagon.

I'm not going to say there aren't pros to this Paperless Ticketing thing, but the cons easily cancel them out. People need to protest this. It will never change anything, but at least unified decent might make us feel better.

Sanitarium78
03-16-2010, 05:06 PM
My first metal concert was in 1992 and this tour is the first i've ever heard about this paperless ticket thing. It just sounds really fucked up to me. Does someone know exactly how this works? If you don't have an actual ticket how the fuck are supposed to know where you're sitting if it's a reserved seating venue? Or more importantly how are you granted acess into the venue without one?

Uncle_Meat1940
03-16-2010, 05:07 PM
Hell ya man.

My biggest problem with them is that I like to keep my stubs. If I dont get to have a stub from the time I road tripped 2 states over to see two of my favorite bands I'm gonna be pissed. haha

Maiden33
03-16-2010, 05:11 PM
I just created a "People Against Paperless Ticketing" group on Facebook. I invited all of you that I'm friends with, but otherwise, here's the link:

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=10150158977710641

@ Butcher of Birth: If you don't mind, I can take your story and post it in the group, as a class example of WHY this system is bullshit.

ChildrenofSodom
03-16-2010, 05:12 PM
Lady Gaga tickets are around $300, I've heard. Iron Maiden tickets may be expensive compared to other metal shows, but I'd say we are lucky.

TonyD
03-16-2010, 05:28 PM
Exactly. This stupid Paperless Ticketing horeshit is LiveNation's shtick. I fucking hate it too, and it has nothing to do with Maiden, they're merely jumping on a hot bandwagon.

I'm not going to say there aren't pros to this Paperless Ticketing thing, but the cons easily cancel them out. People need to protest this. It will never change anything, but at least unified decent might make us feel better.

I think the fact that scalpers can't get a hold of the best tickets and turn them around for profit (usually 100% or more) outweighs the cons greatly.
You CAN use a debit card unless there is a weird state law... I've had one since I was 16.
And if all else fails, get a Ticketmaster gift card. They're available at most supermarkets now, and I would make sure to get more than enough worth to make sure you can cover all the fees. It's not like you won't be using the rest of it anyway...
If all of your shit clears up, you should be able to get another credit card in a week or two no problem.

TonyD
03-16-2010, 05:34 PM
My first metal concert was in 1992 and this tour is the first i've ever heard about this paperless ticket thing. It just sounds really fucked up to me. Does someone know exactly how this works? If you don't have an actual ticket how the fuck are supposed to know where you're sitting if it's a reserved seating venue? Or more importantly how are you granted acess into the venue without one?

Hell ya man.

My biggest problem with them is that I like to keep my stubs. If I dont get to have a stub from the time I road tripped 2 states over to see two of my favorite bands I'm gonna be pissed. haha
Usually the paperless tickets are only for premium seats (first few rows, pit, etc.) and there is a separate entrance for paperless tickets. You bring the credit card you purchased with and your ID matching the card, they should let you in if it's not yours as long as they match. They scan your credit card and print out a ticket right there (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA5GZeix5eo&feature=related). It's a little different from a regular ticket but still has the nostalgia/whatever value.

Maiden33
03-16-2010, 05:37 PM
I think the fact that scalpers can't get a hold of the best tickets and turn them around for profit (usually 100% or more) outweighs the cons greatly.

... No.

To my knowledge scalping is not that big of a problem, and NO ONE gets hurt by it except for the fans who are willing to pay for those scalped tickets. No one has a gun to their head, it's their decision. It seems to me that the reason this is being done is that venues and big-name acts are butt-hurt that someone else might be making a few extra bucks. They make the same amount of money either way - and as I said, the only fans scalping hurts are the ones who choose to be victimized by it. Shows like these will continue to be corrupt no matter how much you try to fix them - the only previous show in which I dealt with this system was one of the worst, most corrupt shows I've ever encountered.

Stories like this one are exactly why this system is flawed, and a bad idea. The small amount of scalping this system prevents is NOT worth the absolute fucking of the every-man who just wants to see a show.

IrritatedTrout
03-16-2010, 05:41 PM
More info on paperless ticket:

http://www.ticketmaster.com/h/help.html?tm_link=tm_ql_4

Also, the pit at the Nissan (refuse to call it that stupid new name:finger:) is huge so I'm sure there will still be pit tickets for sale on Saturday when the general public sale starts so maybe your dad can get another card by then?

TonyD
03-16-2010, 05:44 PM
I got fucked for Alice in Chains because tickets went on sale in less than a weeks notice, and basically ended up paying double what I would have at the venue.
If you don't like it all you can do is bitch an moan, because I know you're not about to boycott the show, and if you do, somebody else will be happy to take your place. Ticketmaster is a private company and isn't about to change anything unless profits drop.
I've avoided TM at all costs by getting out of bed early on Sunday mornings and going to the venue all but about 2 times this year, not including this. I save little or no money, but it's the principal.

Sanitarium78
03-16-2010, 05:45 PM
Usually the paperless tickets are only for premium seats (first few rows, pit, etc.) and there is a separate entrance for paperless tickets. You bring the credit card you purchased with and your ID matching the card, they should let you in if it's not yours as long as they match. They scan your credit card and print out a ticket right there (http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2007/01/26/ticket-device.jpg). It's a little different from a regular ticket but still has the nostalgia/whatever value.

Ok, now that it's been explained it kinda makes sense. But it still seems like a lot to go through once you get to the venue. It would be easier and it would save a few steps if they just mailed you the tickets after you ordered them. What if something happens like you lose your card or it gets cancelled or whatever before the show are you pretty much screwed then?

TonyD
03-16-2010, 05:50 PM
It's not that big of a deal. It slows down getting in just a bit, but the line is shorter because the entrance is only for the good seats, so it takes the same amount of time as it normally would.
I'm pretty sure if anything happens to your credit card you can contact them and resolve it. If they don't, there will be a clear record that they didn't print out your tickets and I would assume if they fucked up that bad they would at least refund your money.

Butcher of Birth
03-16-2010, 06:05 PM
I'll figure this out...

IrritatedTrout
03-16-2010, 06:08 PM
Your dad must surely have a debit card, right? So then, as long as he has enough in the bank, couldn't he just use that?

Butcher of Birth
03-16-2010, 07:04 PM
No just Credit Cards lol

IrritatedTrout
03-16-2010, 07:53 PM
So how does he use ATMs then?:confused: Strange.

idrinkwine732
03-16-2010, 08:01 PM
I have a debit card and I'm 17, but I seriously am sorry for this situation. Have you called ticketmaster to try and find a way around this? What about your 2 friends, do they have cards?

Butcher of Birth
03-16-2010, 08:22 PM
One has a debit card and the earliest we can use it is Thursday night if we all give him money for his account. So I am gonna have to Ghetto-Rig Maiden Tickets...

This tour better fucking be amazing... AND HAVE ALEXANDER THE GREAT! :flame:

ravenheart
03-17-2010, 11:31 AM
the only fans scalping hurts are the ones who choose to be victimized by it.

Not true. The ones hurt by it are the ones who couldn't get tickets by normal means because the scalpers already bought them, and can't afford or won't pay the inflated prices.

Is scalping illegal for concerts in the US? It isn't here, only for Premier League football matches.

For me it should be illegal everywhere.

Back to the original story...

No just Credit Cards lol

This is a serious fuck-up. Sorry, but what the fuck? I totally feel the pain with not being able to get tickets, and the wasted IMFC membership etc, but I'm not sure you'll ever be able to explain to me adequately why your Dad doesn't have a debit card... lol

By the way, despite above statements, I am totally against FORCED paperless ticketing because I too collect my tickets. We have paperless ticketing on all by the smallest shows here, but it's optional and you pay lower fees if you choose it.

I'm even pissed at the High Voltage Festival in London this year who aren't producing tickets at all and entry will be with a coded wristband they will scan at the gate. Sorry, but I want my ticket.

Uncle_Meat1940
03-17-2010, 02:54 PM
]They scan your credit card and print out a ticket right there[/URL]. It's a little different from a regular ticket but still has the nostalgia/whatever value.

Really? I didn't know that. huh...

Just keep the wristband Ravenhart, that's what I do when I get them. haha

idrinkwine732
03-17-2010, 04:42 PM
. Is scalping illegal for concerts in the US? It isn't here, only for Premier League football matches.

It's legal, but not on venue property. Paperless is a great system, but occasionally things like this happen.

es156
03-17-2010, 05:28 PM
Usually the paperless tickets are only for premium seats (first few rows, pit, etc.) and there is a separate entrance for paperless tickets. You bring the credit card you purchased with and your ID matching the card, they should let you in if it's not yours as long as they match. They scan your credit card and print out a ticket right there (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA5GZeix5eo&feature=related). It's a little different from a regular ticket but still has the nostalgia/whatever value.

When I went to see AC/DC with the paperless ticket system I went home with a receipt. They did not print any tickets or anything remotely resembling a ticket. It was just a little credit card receipt like you would get at a convenience store.

:mad:

idrinkwine732
03-17-2010, 05:34 PM
I always wanted to have a stub for my first Maiden show, but at least I get to see them...