PDA

View Full Version : Shrinebuilder -- New York, NY -- March 11th, 2010

bt11763
03-14-2010, 08:30 PM
Fucking awesome show, run by NYU's student activities board or something like that. Tickets were $5 for non-students, and $2 for NYU students. I had a hookup, and it will forever be the best $2 I will ever spend.

The title of the show was "Almost the Ides of March: Et tu Brut(al)?"

Ha! Clever.

The bill was Salome, Wolves in the Throne Room, and Shrinebuilder.

I don't know much of Salome, so I can't give you a set list, but they kicked fucking ass. Purely disgusting sludge.

Up next was the one of best live bands I have ever experienced, Wolves in the fucking Throne Room. I say experienced rather seen because they are truly an experience. I physically felt their music flowing through my body and put me in a trance. They turned the lights all the way down and just barreled through their whole set. And goddamn did they sound spot on.

Their set, in no particular order (and I believe one is missing):
Queen of the Borrowed Light
Ahrimanic Trance
Vastness and Sorrow
?

Shrinebuilder was fucking amazing. For those who don't know them, they are a supergroup of doom and stoner metal consisting of Scott fucking Wino (Spirit Caravan, Saint Vitus, The Obsessed), Al Cisneros (Om, Sleep, Asbestosdeath), Scott Kelly (Neurosis), and Dale Crover (The Melvins). They sounded amazing, you could feel the heaviness shake you to your bones.

Their set list was the same as their other recent shows, considering they only have one album:

Science of Anger
The Architect
Blind for All to See
-New Song-
Solar Benediction
Pyramid of the Moon

I highly suggest seeing every one of these bands. One of the better shows I have been to, even though it could have been run better (they wouldnt allow non-students to buy anymore tickets by the time I got there, even though it wasn't sold out!)

jotun2graveland
03-15-2010, 02:17 AM
Depending on how long WITTR's set was, there's a good chance that they played "I Will Lay Down My Bones Among the Rocks and Roots" or at least a condensed version of it. That song seems to have become a staple of their's.

bt11763
03-15-2010, 08:07 AM
yeah that's what i was thinking

ADD
03-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Hope they keep Queen of Borrowed Light in the set on their next tour.

bootscoot
03-15-2010, 05:58 PM
I'm jealous as fuck, I'd give my left nut to see Shrinebuilder. And yeah, odds are the missing song was I Will Lay Down My Bones. I saw WITTR headline last year and it was one of the most phenomenal musical experiences of my life, if you aren't familiar with them you need to do yourself a favor and listen to any of their material.