PDA

View Full Version : Scion Rock Fest -- Columbus, OH -- March 13th, 2010

DethMaiden
03-14-2010, 11:39 AM
Alright, if anyone has setlists that I don't (and I know some of you do :D) pass them along and I'll edit them into the original post. Here goes:

Struck By Lightning:
Bottomless Pit
Widowmaker
Tightening the Noose
The Watchful Eye
Becoming Earth
Nothing Sacred
False Hope
Silent and Still

Pelican:
Dead Between the Walls
The Creeper
March to the Sea
Strung Up from the Sky
Embedding the Moss
Ephemeral

Shrinebuilder:
Science of Anger
The Architect
Blind for All to See
(no idea, unannounced)
(new song on forthcoming LP, live debut!)
Solar Benediction
Pyramid of the Moon

Awesome night. Good to meet some of y'all - and sincerest apologies for the horrible miscommunication and chaos after the gig, but hey, we tried. For the record, the bands that I saw were:

Black Tusk - didn't know much about them but they ROCKED and I'll definitely be hearing their new one on Relapse when it drops in May
Struck By Lightning - Dirty, disgusting, and absolutely fantastic. "Nothing Sacred" was a highlight of the night.
Acrassicauda - Mad props that they made it here from Iraq and all, but I hate to admit their generic-ness and occasional -core leanings really come out live, and it was pretty meh. Fun, but not something I'd see twice.
Pelican - Band of the night for me, as well as the only one I'd seen before. Something really clicked last night in their set. Easily the best set I've seen so far in 2010.
YOB - Can someone tell these guys when the song is over? Sorry, but 20 minutes of two riffs is not for me.
Shrinebuilder - Technical difficulties for Wino all night culminating in him basically air-guitaring half of Pyramid of the Moon, but a crushing set. Amazing to see four guys of equal, massive talent on stage at once.

idrinkwine732
03-14-2010, 12:18 PM
That's a good Struck by Lightning setlist, and I didn't even know Black Tusk was playing this, that would have made me want to go more...

DethMaiden
03-14-2010, 12:26 PM
That's a good Struck by Lightning setlist, and I didn't even know Black Tusk was playing this, that would have made me want to go more...

If they swapped out False Hope for Supercell, it would be absolutely perfect. Black Tusk were sweet but I wasn't familiar with them at all. They made me want to be, though.

TonyD
03-14-2010, 12:26 PM
They're doing Missing Link right?

DethMaiden
03-14-2010, 12:30 PM
They're doing Missing Link right?

No idea, bro. Didn't know a damn one of their songs and wasn't listening for lyrics.

TonyD
03-14-2010, 12:50 PM
http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2758/4378925805_b2ceda38a8.jpg
They're not, but they're playing SF at the beginning of spring break. Maybe I'll go.

DethMaiden
03-14-2010, 12:54 PM
They're not, but they're playing SF at the beginning of spring break. Maybe I'll go.

I thought "Missing Link" was a song by Black Tusk. :bliss:

idrinkwine732
03-14-2010, 01:01 PM

It's at the Elbo Room, which I'm pretty sure is 21+...:mad:

Did you get your tickets to that hipsterpalooza '10 yet?

TonyD
03-14-2010, 01:20 PM
Yeah, I don't think it's gonna be hipsters as much as Dong heads.

illninoese
03-14-2010, 03:48 PM

God, that poster is pretty sick

Chyck
03-14-2010, 05:58 PM
The whole night kicked ass, from meeting some of ya'll to being front & center for every band to getting to meet most of Ludicra. I’m glad I made the trip.

Sets (Photographed & Guaranteed):

Acrassicauda
Message from Baghdad
Tyrant’s Philosophy
Massacre
Garden of Stones
Unholy Lie
Life is Just a Day and Night
Poison
Unknown

Absu
Terminus / Swords and Leather
The Coming of War
The Thrice is Greatest to Ninnigal
13 Globes
Voor / Magic(k) Square Garden
Intro / Manannan
Highland Tyrant Attack
Night Fire Canonization
An Involution of Thorns / Descent to Archeron
Never Blow out the Eastern Candle
--encore—
Tara / Pillars of Mercy
Four Crossed Wands

Mini reviews (Although I could write a book on the night):

Black Tusk – Tons of fun. Their performance quality is stellar for a 3-person band. They were a great opener.
Swords of Lightning – Dang. Decent. Very decent. I would totally see them again. They sounded great, though I could have preferred a little more action on stage.
Acrassicauda – I have the same feeling as Maiden. Their set was fun and all, but not that impressive.
Ludicra – Wow. I am officially a huge Ludicra fan now. Frontwoman Laurie never stops throwing herself around like a crazy woman… even when she gets brained with a guitar head and blood starts streaming into her eye. The rest of the band plays beautifully. Off stage, they also turn out to be the nicest, most accommodating band in the world… even when the fan they’re talking to is very, very star struck.
Absu – Definitely the performance of the night. They had it all – talent, timing, brutality, performance, killer set… I couldn’t have asked for more.

Acquired:
Guitar picks from both Ludicra and Absu
Absu T-shirt for $10
A new appreciation for basement gigs (yeah Bernie's!)
The knowledge that Natty has no sense of direction

mankvill
03-14-2010, 06:05 PM
THESE ARE THE PILLARS OF MERCY!

DethMaiden
03-14-2010, 06:17 PM
The knowledge that Natty has no sense of direction

:lol: Total failure.

I definitely couldn't have gone out of my way though. I got home at 5 AM as it was. :snivel:

Natrlhi
03-14-2010, 08:04 PM
The knowledge that Natty has no sense of direction:mad: I got your sense of direction right here. :allan:

@ Brad, I checked the notes I took on my Blackberry, and your set lists for Struck by Lightning and Pelican are both correct (but you knew that already ;)). I'm 100% certain that was Embedding the Moss and not Bliss in Concrete in the second-to-last slot for Pelican.

Here are some other set lists that I saw:

Landmine Marathon
25th Hour :rocker:
Exist (new)
Bile Towers :rocker:
Shadows Fed to Tyrants (new)
Skin from Skull
Crisscross Thoughts :rocker:
Foul Revolt (new)
Justify the Suffering (new)
Red Days
Rise with the Tide (new)

Angela Gossow may be a hell of a vocalist (and pretty easy on the eyes), and Julie Christmas may just be straight up fucking crazy, but neither of those chicks has a thing on Grace Perry from Landmine Marathon. This woman can belt out the death metal / grindcore screams like no other. She is a serious badass, and so is the rest of the band. Their riffs are heavy and catchy, like something from one of the more recent Bolt Thrower albums. If you've never seen these cats live, DO IT. They will be touring soon for their new album which drops Tuesday (they were selling it at this show, and you bet your ass I bought it), so watch your radar screens and do yourselves a favor. See Landmine Marathon.

Voivod
Voivod
The Unknown Knows
Ripping Headaches
Overreaction
Tribal Convictions
Global Warning
Tornado
Missing Sequences :rocker:
Astronomy Domine (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAD8xrrFoR8) (dedicated to Piggy) :light:

Holy shit, do these guys still have it. My cousin saw them at Peabody's last Wednesday, and called me the next day to tell me that if I missed them he would have to kill me. Chyck told me something similar when I met her at the beginning of the day. I went. They kicked ass. I shouted my damn fool head off, headbanged, fist-pumped and got the t-shirt (Nothingface album cover for a cool twenty-spot :cool:). Awesome.

Cannibal Corpse
Scalding Hail
Unleashing the Bloodthirsty
Murder Worship
Sentenced to Burn
I Cum Blood
Fucked With a Knife
Shatter Their Bones
Make Them Suffer
Pit of Zombies
Vomit the Soul
Priests of Sodom
A Skull Full of Maggots
Hammer Smashed Face :rocker:
Stripped, Raped and Strangled :rocker:

I've always known these guys were (are) heavy as fuck, but I was always kinda lukewarm on seeing them live. I figured I'd get around to it someday. Yesterday was finally that day. I'm sorry I waited. Holy fucking shitballs are these guys awesome live...fast, tight and most definitely LOUD :eek:. Also, their frontman is one of the most awesomely obnoxious dudes at the helm of any death metal band today. Best line of the festival, by far, was: "This song is about SHOOTING BLOOD FROM YOUR COCK!!!" (intro to "I Cum Blood"). No true brutal death metal fan could see these guys live and be left wanting for anything. They bring it all.

Oh, and the main riff in "Hammer Smashed Face" is one of the quintessential awesome things in all of metal. There are very few things in this world that are better than that. Holy shit. There's one more thing that's not gonna have to go on my "bucket list", if I ever make one. ;)

---

@ Lynne, Brad, Cameron: It was really nice to meet all you guys, and I regret the crossed wires at the end of the night as well. I'm blaming it on the dingbat chick I spoke to on the phone at the Waffle House, though - she told me to go north from Columbus to get to I-70 West, and judging by the uncertainty I could hear in her voice, I knew I should have looked at a map or just done the opposite of what she said. ;)

I'm seriously considering returning to the Cbus on April 3 for either Clutch at the Newport or High on Fire/Black Cobra/Priestess/Bison B.C. at Skully's. Let me know if any of you hoodlums is up for one of those gigs.

idrinkwine732
03-14-2010, 09:46 PM
so watch your radar screens and do yourselves a favor. See Landmine Marathon.
That good huh? I've always heard really good things about them, but I just was too lazy to check them out. They aren't going to be in CA anytime soon, but I'll keep an eye out.

"This song is about SHOOTING BLOOD FROM YOUR COCK!!!" (intro to "I Cum Blood"). If you hadn't said that bit at the end there, I might not have known what you were talking about...:)

TonyD
03-14-2010, 10:18 PM
Here's hoping SRF keeps going west...

DethMaiden
03-14-2010, 10:28 PM
Here's hoping SRF keeps going west...

Here's hoping it was super successful in Columbus and it ain't going anywhere! :D

Also,
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/03/15/arts/music/15scion.html?pagewanted=1

rjturtle9
03-15-2010, 12:37 AM
So nobody saw 3 Inches of Blood, Hate Eternal, or D.R.I.

gilpdawg
03-15-2010, 02:14 AM
I would have seen 3IOB and DRI had I been able to make it. Got forced to work, and would have fought it, but it's not like I paid for the ticket or anything.

Chyck
03-15-2010, 06:44 AM
I'm blaming it on the dingbat chick I spoke to on the phone at the Waffle House, though

Yes, but the parking lot detour was hilarious. "No metal van, no! Don't turn towards the Gentleman's Club!" :tongue:

So nobody saw 3 Inches of Blood, Hate Eternal, or D.R.I.

As much as I wanted to see 3IOB, I decided to check out bands that are harder to catch. I think everyone else chose that path, too.

Natrlhi
03-15-2010, 07:21 AM
Yes, but the parking lot detour was hilarious. "No metal van, no! Don't turn towards the Gentleman's Club!" :tongue:
:lol: Ya got me there. That was funny (and semi-retarded). :D

I decided to check out bands that are harder to catch. I think everyone else chose that path, too.Absolutely. There were times when I wish I could have been in two or three places at once during this thing, but I had to make some tough decisions. The hardest were the decisions to miss Ludicra and Shrinebuilder, but I'm not sorry I did. I definitely have to catch them later, though. I got back to Skully's in time for Shrinebuilder's last song, and it was a crusher. :blaze:

Natrlhi
03-16-2010, 10:27 AM
VOIVOD - ASTRONOMY DOMINE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAD8xrrFoR8)

EDIT: At 3:30 or so...lighters up, bitches! PIGGY!!!

mastodon421
03-20-2010, 05:54 AM
Nat second everything you said about Landmine. Everyone on here should go see them if they get the chance to they crush live. Sounds like a fucking awesome time. If it stays in Ohio next year i might have to hit it up.

Chyck
03-20-2010, 09:41 AM
Nat second everything you said about Landmine. Everyone on here should go see them if they get the chance to they crush live. Sounds like a fucking awesome time. If it stays in Ohio next year i might have to hit it up.

We could have carpooled this year, but noooooo... I had to drive 11 hours all by my lonesome. Actually, the drive was pretty rad. I like going 85 past truckers while screaming Pig Destroyer lyrics.

Hey Natty - do you have facebook? I'm probably going to be posting the shots (crappy as they are) from Scion on there tonight or tomorrow... not that we actually got a group shot or anything.

Natrlhi
03-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Hey Natty - do you have facebook? I'm probably going to be posting the shots (crappy as they are) from Scion on there tonight or tomorrow... not that we actually got a group shot or anything.No, but I've been thinking about it for ages. Give me a reason, and maybe then I'll bump it up the priority list and finally make it happen. ;)

Chyck
03-28-2010, 06:36 PM
ZOMBIE THREAD!

No, but I've been thinking about it for ages. Give me a reason, and maybe then I'll bump it up the priority list and finally make it happen. ;)

Well, there's pics of you on my fb now whether you wanted them there or not.

Another article about Scion. Totally wouldn't have posted this except there's a million pics and Cameron and Brad are in at least one of them.
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2010/03/scion_rock_fest_3.html

DethMaiden
03-28-2010, 06:41 PM
ZOMBIE THREAD!

Well, there's pics of you on my fb now whether you wanted them there or not.

Another article about Scion. Totally wouldn't have posted this except there's a million pics and Cameron and Brad are in at least one of them.
http://www.brooklynvegan.com/archives/2010/03/scion_rock_fest_3.html

Ha, saw us in the YOB pic, with "are they still on that riff?" looks on our faces. ;)

Natrlhi
03-30-2010, 09:19 PM
Well, there's pics of you on my fb now whether you wanted them there or not.OK, so I joined. PM me and tell me how to find you, cuz I didn't finally do that shit for nothin'!

DethMaiden
03-30-2010, 09:21 PM
OK, so I joined. PM me and tell me how to find you, cuz I didn't finally do that shit for nothin'!

Lynne, suggest me as a friend! I want to be friends with the immortal Natty on Facebook! :party: ;)