HOLLOW YEARS :rocker:
KEYBOARD SOLO
PROPHETS OF WAR
WITHER
THE DANCE OF ETERNITY
ONE LAST TIME :drool:
THE SPIRIT CARRIES ON
IN THE NAME OF GOD

My 3rd time seeing DT....and was great but honestly I was waiting some songs that they've been playing throughout this tour...THE MIRROR/LIE...instead of Keyboard Solo and Prophets of War
The Spirit Carries On was played here in 2005...bu was played yesterday as a gift to the fans and our country after all the tragedy of the earthquake, and pay and homage to the victims..really amazing and emotional

Bigelf, was fucking amazing!

I took pics with LaBrie and Rudess, signed my acoustic guitar..and Petrucci also signed it, I'm fucking happy

Uncle_Meat1940
03-13-2010, 07:26 PM
Good shit man, sounds like a mix of the sets I saw in Minnesota and Wisconson in 09. I met everyone but Mike, surprisingly nice guys am I right?

Maiden33
03-13-2010, 07:33 PM
Any Dream Theater set where the oldest song is from Falling Into Infnity = Bad Idea. This isn't terrible, but if they had taken out Prophets of War for something off Awake and then closed with Metropolis or something, it would've been so much better.

Uncle_Meat1940
03-13-2010, 07:45 PM
The best DT concert I went to had nothing off Awake of I&W in the set. Of course, I did see 3 songs off those albums the next night.

You can only fit so much into an hour and a half when your songs average around 15 minutes. haha

Maiden33
03-13-2010, 07:57 PM
You can only fit so much into an hour and a half when your songs average around 15 minutes. haha

That being said, they could've planned their setlists out much better. It's hard to act like the victim of short sets when you do feature solos and extended jams/arrangements, as they have done in virtually every set on this tour.

cristianrock
03-13-2010, 08:29 PM
Good shit man, sounds like a mix of the sets I saw in Minnesota and Wisconson in 09. I met everyone but Mike, surprisingly nice guys am I right?

Yeah, I had luck because I went to the hotel, and unfortunely the presidents from other countries arrived to this hotel, to the change of president in my country..so, a lot of security, they kick us out, and suddenly a girl, told us that James and Jordan went to lunch outside, we took a bus, and in 10 minutes were in the restraurant, and catch them..it was cool

And John was arriving to the hotel, the next day and he was hurry, no autographs and photos and I stood in front of him, and said

Me: "John, can you sign my guitar please?"
John: " Oh, I can`t resist a guitar (sign it)"

xDDDD very happy
XD

Uncle_Meat1940
03-13-2010, 09:55 PM
That being said, they could've planned their setlists out much better. It's hard to act like the victim of short sets when you do feature solos and extended jams/arrangements, as they have done in virtually every set on this tour.

How can you say the sets are/were poorly planned just because they couldn't/decided not to play a song off of every album on every date of the tour? What about the flow from song to song? The mix of softer and heavier songs? Incorporating new songs into their live repertoire regardless of their age?

The biggest thing for their PN sets that you have to keep in mind is that they were touring to promote BC&SL so ya, there are gonna be some sacrifices in order to promote the new material. The shorter sets were incorporated to give time for two supporting acts and an amazing co-headliner.

A great man once said, "you can't always get what you want." This may be hard to believe, but sometimes bands aren't gonna play every single song you want to hear every single time. It's even happened to me a couple times *feigns shock*

I would take an entire set of jamming over I&W and Awake in their entirety so I don't see how you can even fathom bitching about that. If you prefer to hear pre-written material over music that's right off the top of the musicians' head, then you don't know what live music is about. Not trying to be an ass, but seriously.

Uncle_Meat1940
03-13-2010, 10:00 PM
Yeah, I had luck because I went to the hotel, and unfortunely the presidents from other countries arrived to this hotel, to the change of president in my country..so, a lot of security, they kick us out, and suddenly a girl, told us that James and Jordan went to lunch outside, we took a bus, and in 10 minutes were in the restraurant, and catch them..it was cool

And John was arriving to the hotel, the next day and he was hurry, no autographs and photos and I stood in front of him, and said

Me: "John, can you sign my guitar please?"
John: " Oh, I can`t resist a guitar (sign it)"

xDDDD very happy
XD

That's cool, I waited outside the stage exit for like 45 mins after to meet John Petrucci and accidentally met Myung in the process (even got a picture with him). I got to talk to John long enough to tell him how big of an influence he is on my playing and what not, and he said that it meant alot to him and actually shook MY hand, not vice versa, it was on his own volition. Then I got a picture with him. It was probably the greatest moment of my life. haha

Petrucci is the only guitar player in my top 3 that's still alive so it was pretty big for me.

PowerMaiden
03-14-2010, 06:54 AM
I'm probably again on my own but this bands is sooooo boring to me, not saying they are not talented but fuck I almost fell asleep the time they were playing on gigantour, just a bunch of long long never ending boring songs ... anyway awful awful band to be opening for the mighty Maiden this upcoming tour imho

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

JudasPriest89
03-14-2010, 07:35 AM
A NIGHTMARE TO REMEMBER
A RITE OF PASSAGE
HOLLOW YEARS :rocker:
KEYBOARD SOLO
PROPHETS OF WAR
WITHER
THE DANCE OF ETERNITY
ONE LAST TIME :drool:
THE SPIRIT CARRIES ON
IN THE NAME OF GOD

A little to short,but overall a good setlist

Maiden33
03-14-2010, 09:17 AM
How can you say the sets are/were poorly planned just because they couldn't/decided not to play a song off of every album on every date of the tour? What about the flow from song to song? The mix of softer and heavier songs? Incorporating new songs into their live repertoire regardless of their age?

The biggest thing for their PN sets that you have to keep in mind is that they were touring to promote BC&SL so ya, there are gonna be some sacrifices in order to promote the new material. The shorter sets were incorporated to give time for two supporting acts and an amazing co-headliner.

A great man once said, "you can't always get what you want." This may be hard to believe, but sometimes bands aren't gonna play every single song you want to hear every single time. It's even happened to me a couple times *feigns shock*

I would take an entire set of jamming over I&W and Awake in their entirety so I don't see how you can even fathom bitching about that. If you prefer to hear pre-written material over music that's right off the top of the musicians' head, then you don't know what live music is about. Not trying to be an ass, but seriously.

If you don't mean to be an ass, you're doing a terrible job.

1) I didn't say their setlists needed to feature a song from every album. The debut record is my third favorite but I understand why they never play anything off it. But Images and Awake are BY FAR the two fan-favorite Dream Theater records, so to do a setlist where they feature no songs off of them is ridiculous to me. I'm not bitching about this setlist's lack of Octvarium or Six Degrees material either - my point is that for how much people love those two albums, and how many people don't care for newer Dream Theater, they aren't exactly smart for doing a setlist where the earliest song comes off Falling Into Infinity.

2) I realize band's can't always play what I want, I'm not a moron. I'm not sitting here bitching: "This specific song shouldn't be here, and these 3 specific songs should, and this setlist sucks as a result of that, and wouldn't be good unless it did". I have never seen a show with a setlist exactly as I would've picked it, but that doesn't mean I haven't seen a lot of shows I loved.

3) Your last comment is irrelevant, because none of DT's "Jamming" is true jamming. Watch some videos sometime, it's all pre-planned. It's not really jamming, it's just extended arrangements, there's little-to-no improvisation at all.

4) And don't attempt to tell me I "don't know what live music is about", I've played over 60 live shows myself for starters, and that's just a ridiculous claim to make to someone you don't even know based on such a small piece of opinion.

Uncle_Meat1940
03-14-2010, 10:16 AM
If you don't mean to be an ass, you're doing a terrible job.

1) I didn't say their setlists needed to feature a song from every album. The debut record is my third favorite but I understand why they never play anything off it. But Images and Awake are BY FAR the two fan-favorite Dream Theater records, so to do a setlist where they feature no songs off of them is ridiculous to me. I'm not bitching about this setlist's lack of Octvarium or Six Degrees material either - my point is that for how much people love those two albums, and how many people don't care for newer Dream Theater, they aren't exactly smart for doing a setlist where the earliest song comes off Falling Into Infinity.

2) I realize band's can't always play what I want, I'm not a moron. I'm not sitting here bitching: "This specific song shouldn't be here, and these 3 specific songs should, and this setlist sucks as a result of that, and wouldn't be good unless it did". I have never seen a show with a setlist exactly as I would've picked it, but that doesn't mean I haven't seen a lot of shows I loved.

3) Your last comment is irrelevant, because none of DT's "Jamming" is true jamming. Watch some videos sometime, it's all pre-planned. It's not really jamming, it's just extended arrangements, there's little-to-no improvisation at all.

4) And don't attempt to tell me I "don't know what live music is about", I've played over 60 live shows myself for starters, and that's just a ridiculous claim to make to someone you don't even know based on such a small piece of opinion.

I wasn't trying very hard.

1) Your not grasping the concept that there are DT fans who enjoy an album other than I&W or Awake as their favorite. I personally only know one DT fan who's #1 is one of those two albums. PEOPLE HAVE DIFFERENT TASTE!

2) You may not be saying certain songs should be there, but you are judging as to which ones shouldn't be there which, in my opinion, is damn near the same thing. Especially since your saying which albums should be used in that spot, true it isn't a specific song, but it's pretty close.

3) True jamming or not man, I would rather see and hear music that's not on an album.

4) Pretty ridiculous to say you know just because your little bar band has played a couple 7 person crowds alone and maybe opened up for a few bands. ; )

Uncle_Meat1940
03-14-2010, 10:29 AM
Really man, this isn't worth either of our time. It seems like we have a tiny bit of similar taste in music so we should be geeking out about that and not bickering over some shit as trivial as this. haha I tend to get a bit loose with my words from time to time, and for that you have my apologies sir.

I just get a little defensive when people speak ill of bands that can do no wrong in my eyes. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. ; P

Maiden33
03-14-2010, 11:11 AM
Dude, you're just being a jackass.

1) If I payed my money to see jamming and music I hadn't heard before, I'd be wasting my time to shell out the money to see a band like Dream Theater. There are countless music venues and clubs where I could see countless bands playing music I've never heard before. I pay my money to see the songs I know and love, at least to some extent, and it's been my personal experience that most of the rest of the world feels the same.

2) I realize people have different taste, but it's been my experience that the two most favored DT albums (BY FAR) are those two records, and I've seen a lot of criticism from other people that they do shows with no songs from either album.

3) Who are you to judge my own musical experience? I'm not saying I've played loads of high profile gigs, but I have had the opportunity of opening for a lot of national acts that I do really love and respect, been invited to play with bands, and even had the honor of playing two gigs on-stage with guitarist Chris Caffery, of my second-favorite band, Savatage. I've played a number of shows to sizable crowds.

But why should I try to make my case? You're obviously not interested in what I have to say. You can stick all the smileys and "no offense" comments into what you're saying, but you're post just reeks of elitist bullshit. You may not believe it, but people tend to take offense when you insult their knowledge, common sense, and musical integrity - which is exactly what you did, whether you intended to or not.

Uncle_Meat1940
03-14-2010, 11:33 AM
1) Well then I'm an outliar, cause I prefer improvisational music over recoded all day. FYI the opinions of the masses aren't always the most reputable. ; )

2) THAT'S BECAUSE PEOPLE LIKE TO BITCH ABOUT EVERY LITTLE THING NO MATTER WHAT THE SUBJECT IS. If they played a bunch of stuff off those albums people would just bitch about songs from other albums not being played.

3) That still doesn't mean you know what your talking about. They're are plenty of musicians who suck harder than a prostitute on nickel night with a five dollar rebate that have opened for national acts in my town, IM NOT SAYING YOUR ONE OF THEM, I'm just saying it doesn't add or subtract any weight from your argument on this subject.

"your post reeks of elitist bullshit" - he who smelt it, dealt it man

I admitted to and explained my less civil comments, and I tried to apologize man, it's your choice not to take it. If I wasn't interested in your opinion on the matter I wouldn't have replied to any of your posts.

Maiden33
03-14-2010, 11:36 AM
"He who smelt it, dealt it."

:tp:

Alrighty then, whatever. This isn't worth arguing about, and got blown entirely out of proportion.

Uncle_Meat1940
03-14-2010, 12:19 PM
"He who smelt it, dealt it."

:tp:

Alrighty then, whatever. This isn't worth arguing about, and got blown entirely out of proportion.

hahaha agreed. Truce?

Apologies again, I tend to sound like an asshole when I'm talking about music even when I don't want to. I love debate and have very strong opinions and it tends to get me in trouble. haha

Sanitarium78
03-14-2010, 01:22 PM
My major problem with DT now live, besides sometimes not doing anything off I&W and Awake is they're only doing 90 minutes now. 90 minutes for a band who's average song length is close to 10 minutes? 90 mins for a band that used to play 3 hour plus shows regularly? What exactly changed with them? They're really painting themselves into a corner with their sets now. Now more than ever they need the "evening with" format again and they're not doing it. Look at ANTR and COT, those two songs total time takes up almost half the set now:eek: That's fuckin crazy. Even if they did two hours like in 2007 i'd be alright with that but they're are just playing way too short now. Their songs scream three hour sets but they're ignoring that now and it's starting to hurt their reputation as a great live act for a lot of people.

Uncle_Meat1940
03-14-2010, 01:27 PM
Well, the main reason for the short sets lately is due to PN 08 & 09. I watched an interview around that time with Mike stating that they do plan on doing An Evening With tour if not a tour with one, maybe two, openers and a longer DT set. But that changed when Iron Maiden gave them the offer to open (No one in their right mind wouldn't take that), I would expect it on their next tour. Ill try to find the exact interview.

Maiden33
03-14-2010, 01:28 PM
They could be more time-conscious though. Sure, Dream Theater has tons of long songs, but they also have recorded their fair share of shorter numbers. Granted, ANTR and TCOT are staples of every set, so there's nothing they can do. This setlist wasn't too bad, but I mean take In the Name of God - it's about 14 minutes long. Even if they wanted to still represent Train of Thought, if they canned it for As I Am and then put in something like 6:00 or any of the many shorter (6-minute) songs off Awake, it would take up about the same amount of time. Also, the version of Hollow Years they play now is a few minutes longer than the studio version, but I'm hesitant to criticize it because I do love Petrucci's solo in it.

It's definitely true that can't do much with 90 minutes, but as I said, I think they could be doing better than they are in terms of picking more time-conscious songs.

(Please, please, please don't let this start some other argument)

Uncle_Meat1940
03-14-2010, 01:37 PM
They could be more time-conscious though. Sure, Dream Theater has tons of long songs, but they also have recorded their fair share of shorter numbers. Granted, ANTR and TCOT are staples of every set, so there's nothing they can do. This setlist wasn't too bad, but I mean take In the Name of God - it's about 14 minutes long. Even if they wanted to still represent Train of Thought, if they canned it for As I Am and then put in something like 6:00 or any of the many shorter (6-minute) songs off Awake, it would take up about the same amount of time. Also, the version of Hollow Years they play now is a few minutes longer than the studio version, but I'm hesitant to criticize it because I do love Petrucci's solo in it.

It's definitely true that can't do much with 90 minutes, but as I said, I think they could be doing better than they are in terms of picking more time-conscious songs.

(Please, please, please don't let this start some other argument)

Hahaha, no worries

6:00 wouldn't work, they refuse to play it anymore since Kevin Moore wrote it. I really wish they would, cause it's a great song.

I would be so pissed if they Scraped ITNOG for As I Am, I almost cried when I heard John playing those opening notes, seriously, im not even kidding. haha

I have more to say but my ride to Kreator just arrived. *runs away*

But ill be back *shakes fist* haha

Maiden33
03-14-2010, 01:40 PM
I actually never knew that about 6:00, that sucks. But anyway, as I said, Awake has a lot of shorter songs on it - Caught in a Web, Innocence Faded, The Mirror, Lie...

Arnold Layne
03-14-2010, 04:44 PM
I'm sure I remember reading a quote from Kevin Moore years ago when he said 6:00 was his "resignation statement". It was too long ago for me to remember specifics now so take it with the proverbial "grain of salt" if you wish.

Sanitarium78
03-14-2010, 05:14 PM
I'm sure I remember reading a quote from Kevin Moore years ago when he said 6:00 was his "resignation statement". It was too long ago for me to remember specifics now so take it with the proverbial "grain of salt" if you wish.

6:00 was indeed written as Kevin Moore's resignation. He wrote the lyrics when he made the descision to leave the band. He didn't even stay for that tour. He finished the recording and was done with them. They got Derek Sharinian to replace him for the tour and the next album.

If DT does bring back the "evening with" format I would have no problem with them. Right now that's my main issue and the only problem i've ever had with them to be honest. I understand doing the Prog Nation tours to help get some other newer bands noticed, but they're taking away what makes them a special live act by doing that.

Indestructible
03-14-2010, 05:36 PM
I dont think DT knows how to manage doing 90 minute sets if this is the first tour they have shorten the sets like this then this is still very new to them. If they did there songs that are 9 minutes or under that would fine. Instead of solos all the time they could just keep in Erotomania or do Hells Kitchen. They could do a little better with sets but nothing to make a big deal about unless they start doing something like this when they open for Maiden.

cristianrock
03-14-2010, 10:09 PM
Well guys, we must wait until the next album and the next tour

Portnoy confirmed that the next tour will be again.. "an evening with DT"...so the three hour shows will return, and I think and I hope that this desition is to play the whole AA Saga, and also a lot of songs....The Glass Prison/This Dying Soul and the rest of it.

DethMaiden
03-14-2010, 10:23 PM
I must be the only one but I would be fucking BORED by a three hour Dream Theater show, and I love Dream Theater. By far the worst thing about them solos and jams. Most of their albums are full of great songs, why do shit in saga/medley/jam/wankfest form? If they choose their setlist well, this opening spot for Maiden will be the best thing that ever happened to them.

Uncle_Meat1940
03-15-2010, 08:23 AM
I actually never knew that about 6:00, that sucks. But anyway, as I said, Awake has a lot of shorter songs on it - Caught in a Web, Innocence Faded, The Mirror, Lie...

Fair enough, the worst thing DT ever did to me involving Awake or I&W was the second time I saw them they played Erotomania and Voices, BUT NO SILENT MAN! Whats the point of doing 2 parts of a 3 part song?? haha

At least they closed with Metropolis. hehe