PDA

View Full Version : Best & Worst Set-list Bands

TonyD
03-02-2010, 03:36 PM
Since the usual tune of this site is either bitching or praising (mostly bitching) of set lists, who do you think does the best/worst?
What I think should be taken into account:
1. How does a band change their set every tour, since you aren't likely to see them more than once.
2. How does it change nightly to keep everyone on their toes, since the set is almost always up on the internet before you go to see your show.
3. How do they represent their catalog and how often they pull a surprise out of the bag.

Go.

Wizzbang11
03-02-2010, 03:51 PM
Best:
Sodom- They rotate songs around and don't play very much from their lame period, never seen a bad set.
Metallica- While some nights are really shitty sets they make up for it by pulling out awesome old songs the next night.
GWAR- Every tour cycle has pretty different sets, granted night to night is completely rehearsed and never varies, but tour to tour they keep it interesting, and don't even always play Sick of You anymore. Of course I could do with little to no "new stuff."

Worst:
Behemoth- Not only do they always play the same songs, the only one of their songs from their best musical period that has survived the years is From the Pagan Vastlands.
Iron Maiden- Totally predictable.
3 Inches of Blood- As far as I can tell they have always played the same songs, the few "hits", never anything else.

All I can think of off hand.

jhdeity
03-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Best:
Sodom
Metallica
GWAR

Worst:
Behemoth
Iron Maiden
3 Inches of Blood

All I can think of off hand.

I have to give Behemoth credit for bringing Christians to the Lions back so I can't agree with them as the worst. Sodom has been virtually ignoring some of their fastest and best songs off the 1st 4 albums so I would never put them in the Top. When they bust out Deathlike Silence, Nuclear Winter, My Atonement, Christ Passion & Baptism of Fire and stop playing fukkin Motorhead and Tank covers I'll have more respect for their setlists. Just my 2 cents.

Wizzbang11
03-02-2010, 04:12 PM
I have to give Behemoth credit for bringing Christians to the Lions back so I can't agree with them as the worst. Sodom has been virtually ignoring some of their fastest and best songs off the 1st 4 albums so I would never put them in the Top. When they bust out Deathlike Silence, Nuclear Winter, My Atonement, Christ Passion & Baptism of Fire and stop playing fukkin Motorhead and Tank covers I'll have more respect for their setlists. Just my 2 cents.

Behemoth is up there because I have seen them 3 times in the course of 3 years, and there has been about a 4 song difference total between the sets. Sodom switch it up night to night and always seem to have pretty solid sets. Sure more of (or at least some of)Obsessed by Cruelty and Persecution Mania would be good, but that doesnt ruin the sets. Also, I might be wrong but I thought Nuclear Winter has been played recently. And there is nothing wrong with Tank covers.

Sanitarium78
03-02-2010, 04:50 PM
Best:
Rush - still do the big hits but always bust out a number a rarities each tour.

Metallica - are always good at rotating 4 or 5 old school songs a night.

Alice In Chains - put on long sets and always rotate a few songs every show.

Alice Cooper - much like Rush he does the big hits but always seems to bust out a number of deep cuts each tour to please the diehards.

Worst:
Dream Theater - mostly because of how bad the sets were this tour.

Iron Maiden - except for the SBIT set which was excellent they need to switch up some of the 80s shit they do a little more often.

Lamb Of God - been playing the same set for a whole year now, time to throw a few different ones in.

Lacuna Coil - they completely ignore their first two albums and act like they never existed.

Ozzy - been playing the same set for about 15 years now, you've done enough enjoy the carefree life retirement offers.

Megadeth - it wouldn't kill them to drop WUD or SOMT for a tour or two and do something different from those two albums.

Maiden33
03-02-2010, 04:57 PM
First ones that jumped to mind:

Best:
-Saxon - Gotta love a band without tour setlists. They change things up dramatically night to night, including loads of spontaneous songs not on the physical setlist, shows usually topping out around 20-22 songs.
-Dream Theater - Notorious for their randomness, which can be horrible if you're a casual fan. More recently they've been "normalizing", but I still think back in their heyday of 3-hour shows, they were amazing.
-Blind Guardian - Night to night rotations and a truly unparalleled notion of what fans consider their best songs. See the Imaginations Through the looking Glass DVD for proof of the fact that they are beasts at picking their own best songs out for setlists - and yeah, the night to night rotations are nice.
-Symphony X - Again, great perception of a lot of their best songs. No night-to-night rotation, but every tour leg they always switch things up a bit, and their live shows are just top notch I think.
-Tesla - Seen them 7 times, never seen a boring setlist. Actually, I have seen more of their discography than I haven't seen. Still haven't seen a few of my favorites, but for them to break out songs like "last Action Hero" for the first time EVER last October, 15 years after its release - points must be awarded.

Worst:
-WASP - They only play for 75 minutes, and 80% of that setlist never, ever changes. They have tons and tons of material that never sees the light of day.
-Edguy - Again, pretty averse to lengthy shows, and absolutely horrible at set list variation. I actually sat out their last US tour out of disappointment (as well as lack funds). It's just the same 5 pre-Hellfire Club songs, the same 2 Hellfire Club songs (maybe 3), no epics, no surprises - it's just boring. DAMN shame because they're my third favorite band and have dozens of songs I love.
-Sonata Arctica - Some of this attributed to the crapiness of their newer stuff, flooding recent set lists. But more than that, the selections off of the older albums never change, and they never play Replica on proper US tours.
-Iron Maiden - Had this discussion many, many times before. Aside from the A Matter of life and Death tour and some rare other occasions, they just seem completely unable to take a chance. For a band with such an amazing back catalog, they constantly avoid bringing out gems and unplayed songs, which most of their fanbase would love them for if they did.

Dextrimental
03-02-2010, 05:09 PM
Best:

Dream Theater: Look at their evening with tours evening to evening, nuff said really.

Alice In Chains: Always rotate songs and play lenghty shows, you get a show worth every penny.

Worst:

Kiss
Motorhead
Iron Maiden

All three of these bands seem incapable of taking risks with the setlists, Kiss and Motorhead being major offenders.

DethMaiden
03-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Best - Clutch - Different every night of the tour and by different I don't mean a core of fifteen songs with five that change, I mean they might do twenty songs one night and twenty different songs the next.
Worst - Iron Maiden - Seriously, grow a pair. If you do ANY song from the 80s with a very few exceptions, it's gonna go off great. Look at "Moonchild" from SBIT.

My two favorite bands though so whatev. :bliss:

ADD
03-02-2010, 08:29 PM
Clutch and Metallica are good examples for touring bands to follow in this regard.

JRA
03-02-2010, 08:36 PM
With Maiden, it's like they think they're gonna get arrested if they play any other song from Piece of Mind than the Trooper on an album tour.

The best setlist I saw live was Megadeth. The worst was Slayer.

Div
03-02-2010, 10:30 PM
i personally wouldnt mind if maiden threw out the trooper, i think its kinda overrated. i get its flashy to see bruce run around in the red coat and wave the flag around, but it just never hit me as one of their best songs.

mankvill
03-02-2010, 10:54 PM
Worst: AC/DC holy shit

mastodon421
03-03-2010, 10:55 AM
Best: Between The Buried and Me

Worst: Children Of Bodom

Derelict
03-03-2010, 11:13 AM
Clutch is the best that I have seen. Case in point: saw them two nights in a row in NYC in October at the same venue, 38 songs played between the two shows, one repeat (spacegrass).

JRA
03-03-2010, 11:40 AM
Worst: Children Of Bodom

Enh, they aren't perfect, but the worst? No.

DethMaiden
03-03-2010, 11:42 AM
Best: Between The Buried and Me

I'll second that. The third time I saw them it was a headlining set and they did ZERO songs I had seen them do before. :eek:

Opeth too. They've started to stagnate within tours which they didn't do when Lopez and Lindgren were in the band, but every tour has a radically different setlist from the previous one.

Derelict
03-03-2010, 11:54 AM
Opeth too. They've started to stagnate within tours which they didn't do when Lopez and Lindgren were in the band, but every tour has a radically different setlist from the previous one.

Man, back in 2003, they did a specific "we've had the same setlist for awhile, so we are going to do shit we havent done in the US before." I got to see April Ethereal, Blackwater Park, Master's Apprentices, and Godheads Lament, none of which i had seen before. So good.

ravenheart
03-03-2010, 12:06 PM
Best: Gov't Mule. Hands down, no contest. No other band mentioned in this thread will come close on setlists. Ever.
Worst: KISS, W.A.S.P.

ADD
03-03-2010, 12:14 PM
Best: Gov't Mule. Hands down, no contest. No other band mentioned in this thread will come close on setlists. Ever.

Clutch obviously took more than just musical influence from those cats.

jhdeity
03-03-2010, 12:33 PM
Worst:
-WASP - They only play for 75 minutes, and 80% of that setlist never, ever changes. They have tons and tons of material that never sees the light of day.

God is that true. I have a free ticket and ride to Jaxx to see them and the recent setlists are so bad I might not even go. Plus if you add in worst opening acts WASP would win every time. Who the fuck are these clowns they have opening for them?

jhdeity
03-03-2010, 12:56 PM
As much as it pains me some of my favorite bands are guilty of terrible setlists.

Worst:

Hed PE - Even when they headline they only play 50 min and there is way too much bullshit ranting between songs. Shut up and fucking play!

Lamb of God - 11th Hour, Vigil, Ruin & Fake Messiah need to be incorporated STAT!

WASP - I know I'm old school but their 1st 2 cd's are incredible to me. Playing only 2 or 3 songs total off these albums is blasphemy!

Iron Maiden - I saw them three times in a 4 year span and got the same exact show all 3 times. Couldn't they at least mix up the encores?

Marilyn Manson - I still have a bootleg of the Antichrist Superstar Tour show I went to. That was a perfect setlist if I ever saw one.

Best:

Pearl Jam - Only seen them twice but the 2nd time was the night Kurt Cobain died. We didn't think they would even play and instead they came out and played 2:45 and blew me away. One of the 3 best concert experiences I've ever had and I'll never forget Eddie Vedder's opening speech and his incredible version of Indifference to open the show.

Alice in Chains - It pains me to bail on their show tonight but I'm going to wait until they're closer, healthier and I can really enjoy them.

Metallica - Other than playing shitty Nothing Else Matters every show they do a great job of mixing it up.

Rush - When they brought back Natural Science I lost my mind

Alice Cooper - Always plays 25+ songs and the theatrics are worth the price of admission alone. Manson should take notes...

Honorable mention: Clutch - As good of a job as they do covering their albums they continue to ignore Transnational Speedway and I can't forgive them for that. Binge & Purge and Shotgun named Marcus are still 2 of my 5 favorite Clutch songs and they rarely play Shotgun and NEVER play Binge.

ravenheart
03-03-2010, 01:12 PM
WASP - I know I'm old school but their 1st 2 cd's are incredible to me. Playing only 2 or 3 songs total off these albums is blasphemy!

They've got much bigger problems with their setlists than that.

jhdeity
03-03-2010, 01:30 PM
They've got much bigger problems with their setlists than that.

True but that pisses me off more than anything. I could handle a shorter set if there were zero covers and 4-5 songs off these 2 albums

jerry1013
03-11-2010, 07:04 AM
BEST
----------
Alice Cooper and Rush for reasons mentioned above.
Metallica - I've never really had a problem with any set.

Also I'll add Bruce Springsteen (sp?), I'm not a fan of his at all but to change the set like he does is pretty cool.

Worst
-----------
AC/DC
KISS 1998-2003, then 2008-now (pending on upcoming Euro tour)

The current lineup is the best for changes in the setlist, they can actually play the 80's material and they have the ability to add a rare song at any show....the only problem is they don't, at least haven't since 2006 (Love Em Leave Em, Kissin' Time, Take Me, All American Man)

Uncle_Meat1940
03-13-2010, 05:52 PM
Best:
Worst:
Dream Theater - mostly because of how bad the sets were this tour.

Obviously you didnt go to the right show. PN09 in MN was one of the best shows I've ever seen in my life.

Sanitarium78
03-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Obviously you didnt go to the right show. PN09 in MN was one of the best shows I've ever seen in my life.

I don't doubt for a second they're not putting on good shows. It's just their setlists for this tour and the 2007 tour are just "blah" to me. I just don't get that special feeling reading their setlists now since they aren't doing the "evening with" format the last few years. Their sets were great up until they decided to shorten their set times. They really brought the criticism on themselves, they know they can't do sets that short and get away with it for too long before fans start complaining.

I've heard that they're bringing back the "evening with" format for their next tour in 2011. Which is very good. They'll be bringing back what makes them such a great live band. I think they've lost their live mystic a bit the last few tours by not doing that.

Uncle_Meat1940
03-15-2010, 12:27 PM
Yup. It would probably be going on right now or in the summer if Iron Maiden didn't give them an offer they couldn't refuse. haha

Am I the only one who this this would be a really good time for them to bring out The Twelve Step Suite? I mean, come on, it's just about an hour in length so it would be the perfect length for an opening set. I doubt it will happen, but it would be pretty suite. (pun intended)

Maiden33
03-15-2010, 12:42 PM
I would be PISSED if DT did that for these Maiden shows. I only genuinely love one of the 5 songs, and 2 of the others I really don't care for.

Uncle_Meat1940
03-16-2010, 12:29 PM
I would be happy with it. The only song in it that bugs me a little bit is The Glass Prison, I love the music but I hate the bible thumper lyrics at the end ( I know it's a part of AA but still, come on Mike ).

If they don't do that I hope they go with the older stuff like you were saying since their older stuff has more of a similar sound to Maiden than the newer stuff.

If its true that their set is 50 mins, going off the average song length of 10 mins or so, I think a good ratio would be 3/5 older stuff and 2/5 should incorporate some of their heavier numbers. I just don't see how they can make a truely good 50 min set. We'll have to wait and see I suppose

I know it's going to happen, but I really really hope that they don't play ANYTHING off BC&SL. I like the album, don't get me wrong, but If they're that strapped for time I want to hear songs that I haven't already heard live twice this year. I swear, if I have to sit through ANtR again Ill flip a tit cause that's probably my least favorite song off the album and I've already wasted half an hour of my live DT experiences on that fucking song.

It would be cool if they played their cover of To Tame a Land. If there was a tour to do it on it would be this one. haha

Sanitarium78
03-16-2010, 12:53 PM
If its true that their set is 50 mins, going off the average song length of 10 mins or so, I think a good ratio would be 3/5 older stuff and 2/5 should incorporate some of their heavier numbers. I just don't see how they can make a truely good 50 min set. We'll have to wait and see I suppose

It is possible for them to do a good set of around 50 mins. I made this playlist on my iTunes and it comes to 51 mins.

Overture 1928
Strange Deja Vu
A Rite Of Passage
Wither
Solitary Shell
Caught In A Web
Pull Me Under
Metropolis

If they just play the songs and don't do any jams or solos something like this is possible. They can even do the PMU/Metropolis combo they sometimes do live to save a few mins if 50 is indeed their time limit. They've got plenty of great tunes in the 5-6 minute range. They just gotta avoid doing the 15-20 minute epics for this tour and their opening sets for Maiden will be just fine.

evildeadjedi
04-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Best

Clutch - I have seen them over ten times and rarely have I seen many repeat songs. I Electric Worry and Mob Goes Wild were ones that have showed up a couple times. However, I have also been treated to greats like Red Horse Rainbow, Dragonfly, Big News I and II, Spacegrass, Texan Book of the Dead, Rock n Roll Outlaw, Soapmakers, Walking the great shining path of Monster Trucks, Easy Breeze, Raised by Horses, Basket of Eggs, 12 oz epilogue, Binge and Purge(granted I have not heard it since 96 I think they stopped playing cause it once caused a riot or something), Oregon, Hoodoo Operator, Elephant Riders, Slow Hole to China, Sea of Destruction, and Piledriver(amongst many others).

Worst

ACDC - Way too much Black Ice but it was the first time I saw them so I was not bored to tears.

undergroundrage
04-05-2010, 04:23 PM
best - No one has mentioned Machine Head yet. Like Metallica, they have their core songs and always rotate another bunch in and out. Every night it changes. Plus they are AMAZING.

hellawaits77ny
02-22-2011, 09:53 PM
Bored, I'll stir up an old topic. I can only rate bands I know well.

BEST

1) Metallica - Just look at their shows since 2004. You're guarantedd AT LEAST 4-5 different songs every night. And every few shows, they play a truly rare song. I love it.

2) Cannibal Corpse - They don't do a great job of mixing it up on tour, they usually only switch 2-3 songs, but each tour they'll play considerable stuff they didn't the time before. Like their tour in Spring 2010, they broke out 'Scattered Remains, Splattered Brains.' I can't even tell you the last time they played that song.

3) Misery Index - I don't know a whole lot about these guys, but I filmed them in 2009, and when I tracked the show and compared to a buddy who filmed them a few days prior, there were about 4 changes. Another friend who is a huge fan says these guys consistently change up the set.

4) Trivium - I saw them 3x in '09. Granted they were different timed sets (1 headlining, 1 main opener, 1 Mayhem Fest), so obviously a different amount of tracks. But, I noticed some good variation. And they broke out some tunes from The Crusade on their last tour, which I have a massive :rocker: to.

WORST

1) Slayer - They started to get better in 2007, when they broke out some old tunes that hadn't seen light in a while. Bitter Peace, Ghosts of War, Live Undead. I was very happy about that. But since then, nothing out of the ordinary, same 12-14 songs, w/ maybe 3-4 different ones rotated in for each tour. And it seems they'll never switch up a setlist during a tour.

2) Slipknot - Same as Slayer. Will never switch up a setlist on tour. Also, they have never played the 2 best songs from 'All Hope Is Gone' (Gematria, title track).

3) Malevolent Creation - Was shocked to see them change a few songs in the 2 shows I saw of their's last week. They typically don't change anything. ALmost guaranteed the same 8-10 songs, w/ a couple not rare, just not as popular tunes rotated in.

4) Megadeth - Same reasons people have mentioned. Happy they played RIP in it's entirety, but besides that, not much has changed in the past few years.

illuminatus917
02-22-2011, 11:37 PM
WORST

1) Slayer - They started to get better in 2007, when they broke out some old tunes that hadn't seen light in a while. Bitter Peace, Ghosts of War, Live Undead. I was very happy about that. But since then, nothing out of the ordinary, same 12-14 songs, w/ maybe 3-4 different ones rotated in for each tour. And it seems they'll never switch up a setlist during a tour.

I was happy to see them play Seasons on that last tour they did with Megadeth and Anthrax. It's one of their better albums in my opinion, and I'm pro seeing a band play an album in its entirety rather than seeing a setlist of hits. Angel of Death and Raining Blood are givens, though.

4) Megadeth - Same reasons people have mentioned. Happy they played RIP in it's entirety, but besides that, not much has changed in the past few years.

Well, on that Endgame tour they played quite a few off the new album, which was a fabulous album so I was happy with that. I wish they'd played it in full to be honest. They switched up the encores a bit on that last stretch in '10, playing Head Crusher, How The Story Ends, Trust, etc... which aren't typical encores, at least not to my knowledge. But when they play Rust in Peace, we get a few songs that would normally be encores in the regular set. ;)
I think on a few shows they actually did a Holy Wars reprise in the encore set. They might have done that at the show I went to, actually.

hellawaits77ny
03-18-2011, 01:34 AM
Well, on that Endgame tour they played quite a few off the new album, which was a fabulous album so I was happy with that. I wish they'd played it in full to be honest. They switched up the encores a bit on that last stretch in '10, playing Head Crusher, How The Story Ends, Trust, etc... which aren't typical encores, at least not to my knowledge.

Shoot, didn't realize that

Nick_to_the_face
03-19-2011, 01:08 PM
They were mentioned once, but I think they deserve another mention. But Children of Bodom.
I've seen them 3 times in a span of about 3 years and only have seen a total of about 10 songs

TonyD
10-27-2011, 11:53 AM
They were mentioned once, but I think they deserve another mention. But Children of Bodom.
I've seen them 3 times in a span of about 3 years and only have seen a total of about 10 songs

This
/thread digup