PDA

View Full Version : 2010 So Far

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

daimonos
02-24-2010, 02:26 PM
Hey guys, I just figured we need a place to share our opinions about the albums that have already been released so far in the year 2010 (The "Most exciting releases... thread only seemed to be touching on things that haven't been released yet).

But anyways the albums I've purchased so far this year are:

High on Fire - Snakes for the Divine
Ihsahn - After
Fear Factory - Mechanize
Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe 2

(They're ordered from best to least best)

I'm probably going to pick up Orphaned Land's newest soon, as well as Rotting Christ and Dark Fortress.

What have you guys been into so far this year?

mastodon421
02-24-2010, 02:46 PM
My rankings so far this year

1.High On Fire-Snake For The Divine
2.Overkill-Ironbound
3.Through The Eyes Of The Dead-Skepsis
4.Arsis-Starve For The Devil
5.Dark Tranquility-We Are The Void
6.Rob Zombie-Hellbilly Deluxe 2

DethMaiden
02-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Of what I've heard only Overkill's probably stands a chance come the end of the year.

mankvill
02-24-2010, 02:48 PM
Sigh - Scenes Of Hell
Overkill - Ironbound
Dark Funeral - Angelus Exuro Pro Eternus
High On Fire - Snakes for the Divine

Would probably rank so far as:

1. High On Fire
2. Dark Funeral
3. Sigh
4. Overkill

But they're all great records so far.

daimonos
02-24-2010, 02:49 PM
My rankings so far this year

1.High On Fire-Snake For The Divine
2.Overkill-Ironbound
3.Through The Eyes Of The Dead-Skepsis
4.Arsis-Starve For The Devil
5.Dark Tranquility-We Are The Void
6.Rob Zombie-Hellbilly Deluxe 2

I haven't heard all of that yet, but I'm definitely buying it when it comes out in the US. Love that band.

Of what I've heard only Overkill's probably stands a chance come the end of the year.

I bought that album three times, but every single copy had manufacturing errors and they didn't work right, so I gave up on that for now. I'll probly buy it later in the year though

DethMaiden
02-24-2010, 02:50 PM
I bought that album three times, but every single copy had manufacturing errors and they didn't work right, so I gave up on that for now. I'll probly buy it later in the year though

:eek: I would have quit after the first time and downloaded the sucker! It's really fantastic though.

mastodon421
02-24-2010, 02:50 PM
Dark Tranquility's album is pretty good. It gets a little repetive but for the most part its solid stuff.

daimonos
02-24-2010, 02:51 PM
Sigh - Scenes Of Hell
Overkill - Ironbound

1. High On Fire
2. Dark Funeral
3. Sigh
4. Overkill

I heard the Dark Funeral album last year, it sounded pretty good. I might pick it up sometime, but I'm not sure yet.

Never heard of Sigh before, but I'm checking them out now and they sound pretty interesting.

daimonos
02-24-2010, 02:52 PM
Sigh - Scenes Of Hell
Overkill - Ironbound

1. High On Fire
2. Dark Funeral
3. Sigh
4. Overkill

:eek: I would have quit after the first time and downloaded the sucker! It's really fantastic though.

yeah that's probably what I'll do. I don't like downloading though lol so we'll see.

DethMaiden
02-24-2010, 03:00 PM
yeah that's probably what I'll do. I don't like downloading though lol so we'll see.

Yeah man, I dig. I don't download either, but that seems like special circumstances. ;)

daimonos
02-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Yeah man, I dig. I don't download either, but that seems like special circumstances. ;)

yeah that's what I was thinkin lol. Plus i'm not a HUGE fan of Overkill...and i'm runnin low on cash...:naughty:

MPF
02-24-2010, 04:21 PM
My top 5 so far:

1. Ihsahn- After
2. Charred Walls Of The Damned- S/T
3. Overkill- Ironbound
4. Arsis- Starve For The Devil
5. Fear Factory- Mechanize

daimonos
02-24-2010, 04:25 PM
My top 5 so far:

1. Ihsahn- After
2. Charred Walls Of The Damned- S/T
3. Overkill- Ironbound
4. Arsis- Starve For The Devil
5. Fear Factory- Mechanize

I think After is amazing, myself. Haven't heard Charred Walls of the Damned yet but I might check it out cuz I am much a fan of Richard Christy's drumming. How is that album though? Does it just sound like Iced Earth, or even better?

MPF
02-24-2010, 04:39 PM
I think After is amazing, myself. Haven't heard Charred Walls of the Damned yet but I might check it out cuz I am much a fan of Richard Christy's drumming. How is that album though? Does it just sound like Iced Earth, or even better?

Richard Christy is why i bought the album. CWOTD sounds nothing liked Iced Earth to me. I'm a huge IE fan as well but this almost smokes Iced Earth. Ripper has great pipes as usual, but it is really Christy that really shines on this one. The best way to describe it is (at least to me) is Melodic Tech Metal without Screams and Growls.

As Richard puts it best...

"Charred Walls Of The Damned is muh faaaaavorite!" :D

daimonos
02-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Richard Christy is why i bought the album. CWOTD sounds nothing liked Iced Earth to me. I'm a huge IE fan as well but this almost smokes Iced Earth. Ripper has great pipes as usual, but it is really Christy that really shines on this one. The best way to describe it is (at least to me) is Melodic Tech Metal without Screams and Growls.

alright cool.

i'll check it out sometime then.

MPF
02-24-2010, 04:49 PM
alright cool.

i'll check it out sometime then.

You should check out the video for the song, Ghost Town. That will give you a good idea of how it sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp0zgXAV6Do

overkiller
02-24-2010, 05:16 PM

I swear, if I see one more grossly ungrammatical Latin Dark Funeral album title I'm going to kill someone. Probably them. Because they suck.

So far this year I've only heard Delphic - Acolyte and Burzum - Belus. The former has some immediately great tracks but a handful of them bored me, while the latter was initially unimpressive but is growing on me.

Has anyone else heard Belus yet?

daimonos
02-24-2010, 05:35 PM
You should check out the video for the song, Ghost Town. That will give you a good idea of how it sounds.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp0zgXAV6Do

Yeah that's the only song I've heard, it's pretty decent. I'll look at some other ones though.

I swear, if I see one more grossly ungrammatical Latin Dark Funeral album title I'm going to kill someone. Probably them. Because they suck.

So far this year I've only heard Delphic - Acolyte and Burzum - Belus. The former has some immediately great tracks but a handful of them bored me, while the latter was initially unimpressive but is growing on me.

I haven't heard it yet, but once it comes out in North America (which hasn't been announced yet i don't think) I am no doubtedly buying it.

b_halperin
02-25-2010, 04:35 AM
Anyone listen to the new Eluveitie? I'm debating buying it.

Maiden33
02-25-2010, 09:21 AM
I've heard 15 releases thus far this year. Here's the list, with favorites bolded and disappointments underlined.

Aspera - Ripples
Astral Doors - Requiem of Time
Blaze Bayley - Promise and Terror
Charred Walls of the Damned - S/T
Dawn of Silence - Wicked Saint or Riteous Sinner
Dream Evil - In the Night
Excalion - High Time
Freedom Call - legend of the Shadow King
Gamma Ray - To the Metal
Icarus Witch - Draw Down the Moon
Jon Oliva's Pain - Festival
Overkill - Ironbound
Rage - Strings to a Web
Royal Hunt - X
White Wizzard - Over the Top

Maiden33
02-25-2010, 09:22 AM

Yeah, great CD, probably amongst my 5 favorites from the year thus far. My only complaint is that I think the songs seem a bit incomplete.

MPF
02-25-2010, 01:35 PM
Yeah, great CD, probably amongst my 5 favorites from the year thus far. My only complaint is that I think the songs seem a bit incomplete.

I think there a few songs like that, but some do feel complete to me. Either way, I'm just happy to hear Richard Christy behind the drums once again!

mankvill
02-25-2010, 01:43 PM

:lol: Dark Funeral is my favorite black metal band right now, but I can see how people wouldn't like 'em.

I wanna hear Belus so bad. I wonder when I'll be able to order it.

ADD
02-25-2010, 02:07 PM
I read that the second Control Denied album is finally gonna be out this summer. Let's hope it is, and let's hope its a helluva lot better than that first one :hecho: Rip in peace Chuck.

MPF
02-25-2010, 03:07 PM
I read that the second Control Denied album is finally gonna be out this summer. Let's hope it is, and let's hope its a helluva lot better than that first one :hecho: Rip in peace Chuck.

That would be sweet.

daimonos
02-25-2010, 03:20 PM
That would be sweet.

yeah it really would be.

Anyone hear the new Dark Fortress?

jhdeity
02-25-2010, 03:57 PM
Wow, no one mentioned Mutiny Within. They fukkin slay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvWDFGuBD_Y

Mine would be:

1) Overkill - Ironbound
2) Fear Factory - Mechanize
3) High on Fire - Snakes for the Divine
4) Mutiny Within
5) Arsis - Starve for the Devil

Some great songs also. HoF - Frost Hammer is incredible as are the 1st 3 Overkill songs

overkiller
02-25-2010, 04:26 PM
:lol: Dark Funeral is my favorite black metal band right now, but I can see how people wouldn't like 'em.

I wanna hear Belus so bad. I wonder when I'll be able to order it.

Honestly, just download it or something. Varg doesn't deserve your money, but his music deserves your attention.

MPF
02-25-2010, 04:51 PM
Wow, no one mentioned Mutiny Within. They fukkin slay!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LvWDFGuBD_Y

Mine would be:

1) Overkill - Ironbound
2) Fear Factory - Mechanize
3) High on Fire - Snakes for the Divine
4) Mutiny Within
5) Arsis - Starve for the Devil

Some great songs also. HoF - Frost Hammer is incredible as are the 1st 3 Overkill songs

THe only reason I haven't mentioned Mutiny Within yet is because I haven't picked it up yet.

Something tells me that when I do that it will easily be in my top 3 favorites. Dream Theater meets Megadeth meets SYmphony X. My kinda band.

I also gotta check out the new HOF. Frost Hammer is such a badass song.

Indestructible
02-25-2010, 04:57 PM
The albums I heard so far are Hellbilly Deluxe 2(Rob Zombie) and Mechanize(Fear Factory). Hellbilly Deluxe 2 is ok Mechanize is great and a far superior to Hellbilly deluxe 2. Im waiting for the obsidian conspiracy from Nevermore.

JuuKun
02-25-2010, 05:06 PM
Of what I have so far:

1. Orphaned Land - The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR
2. Ihsahn - After
3. Sigh - Scenes from Hell
4. Gamma Ray - To The Metal
5. Dark Tranquillity - We Are The Void
6. Arsis - Starve For The Devil
7. Dream Evil - In The Night

Still have stuff to hear, mainly JOP, Overkill, Royal Hunt, and Rage. Of those up there, OL and Ihsahn are both really strong contenders already for Top 10 material. Sigh is really good, too, but will depend on what else comes out this year. 13 days until Tarot! (Which I'll be preordering at the beginning of the month once I have money)

ravenheart
02-26-2010, 12:44 AM

You will all be, I'm sure, completely unsurprised to learn that I thought this was below average at the very best.

All the songs sound the same, and above all Ripper is totally out of place. The tracks Christy has written do not suit his vocals at all.

And I agree, they sound rough and incomplete too.

Massive disappointment as I always look forward to anything with Ripper on vocals.

ravenheart
02-26-2010, 12:55 AM
So far for me:

Great: Exodus, Overkill (I take it all back), Ihsahn, Igneous Human, Hellfueled, Cathedral, Heathen, Battalion, Mustasch

Good, but have their faults: Jon Oliva's Pain, Six Feet Under, Dream Evil, Winters Verge, The Kandidate, Rage, Astral Doors, Angels of Babylon

Weak: Fear Factory, Orden Ogan, Excalion, Mastermind, Barn Burner, Charred Walls of The Damned, Bruce Kulick, State of Rock, Keel

Total shit: Freedom Call

Next up: Autumn Hour, Red Sparowes, High On Fire, Andre Matos, The Generals, Van Canto, Crazy Lixx, Audiovision, Painside, Ereb Altor, Pandea, Big Ball

Expecting soon: Tarot, The Quireboys, Kiuas, Solution 45., Neverland, Steelwing, Avantasia, Legion of The Damned

Need to hear: Orphaned Land, Gamma Ray, Rob Zombie, Helloween, Joe Bonamassa, Fozzy, Little Freddie King, Danny Bryant, Pearl

es156
02-26-2010, 05:19 AM
So far for me:

Great: Overkill (I take it all back)

:cool:

ravenheart
02-26-2010, 05:33 AM
:cool:

Hold on. Just finished listening to the new Exodus, and we have a new leader. Fucking outstanding.

Listening to the new Battalion now. Also fantastic.

Chyck
02-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Hold on. Just finished listening to the new Exodus, and we have a new leader. Fucking outstanding.

Wait... you're talking Exhibit B? Where'd you get ahold of that?

ravenheart
02-26-2010, 07:44 AM
Exhibit B, yes. Fantastic disc.

Got it from the label. See signature.

jhdeity
02-26-2010, 08:48 AM
I forgot Heathen. I don't think I've ever been more shocked by a cd. maybe my expectations were really low but that cd kicks serious ass and is fast as balls.

ADD
02-26-2010, 10:25 AM
That new Heathen is indeed bitchin, long time comin (I remember when they first aired the demo back in '05 on Metal Zone on the Bone back when Billy Steel was still DJ). Read a cool review of the new Cathedral that gots me stoked on it too. Good things :cool:

jhdeity
02-26-2010, 01:33 PM
That new Heathen is indeed bitchin, long time comin (I remember when they first aired the demo back in '05 on Metal Zone on the Bone back when Billy Steel was still DJ). Read a cool review of the new Cathedral that gots me stoked on it too. Good things :cool:

No doubt. I'd say 2010 is starting off better than anyone expected. I've liked every cd I've listened to. Even Rob Zombie wasn't hateful but once again my expectations were very low...

Chyck
02-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Exhibit B, yes. Fantastic disc.

Got it from the label. See signature.

No, seriously... I am this stupid and can't find it on the site. Is this an England vs US thing? Last I heard it had been pushed back again and wouldn't be out until May.

mankvill
02-26-2010, 01:48 PM
No, seriously... I am this stupid and can't find it on the site. Is this an England vs US thing? Last I heard it had been pushed back again and wouldn't be out until May.

*psst*

the label sent him a promo copy of the album because he runs a music website

*punches your horse*

JuuKun
02-26-2010, 03:51 PM
For anyone who likes Opeth:

CHECK OUT ORPHANED LAND

Seriously. They're Israel's answer to Opeth. Except better.

Chyck
02-26-2010, 05:30 PM
*punches your horse*
~Is completely :lame: and totally deserves it~ :D

Maiden33
02-26-2010, 05:41 PM
Can't stop listening to White Wizzard's "Over the Top". This is a MUST-hear for any fan of traditional 80's metal. Great stuff.

daimonos
02-26-2010, 05:50 PM
For anyone who likes Opeth:

CHECK OUT ORPHANED LAND

Seriously. They're Israel's answer to Opeth. Except better.

I'm picking it up tomorrow :rocker:

Can't wait!

But... better than Opeth? :eek:

:D

ravenheart
02-26-2010, 07:17 PM
I forgot Heathen. I don't think I've ever been more shocked by a cd. maybe my expectations were really low but that cd kicks serious ass and is fast as balls.

Indeed. Although I wasn't at all surprised. I was expecting it to be decent, and they really delivered. Killer disc.

zgodt
02-26-2010, 10:26 PM
My take on this thread is that I should hear Orphaned Land, Exodus, and Heathen, in that order. Thank you.

jhdeity
02-27-2010, 09:58 AM
Indeed. Although I wasn't at all surprised. I was expecting it to be decent, and they really delivered. Killer disc.

Yeah I never picked up the 2004 EP so my last recollection of them was from 1991's Victims of Deception. I was expecting something Death Magnetic-ish and got something totally different and way better in all actuality.

DethMaiden
02-27-2010, 10:02 AM
Honestly, just download it or something. Varg doesn't deserve your money, but his music deserves your attention.

Well put. I will never spend money on Burzum.

mankvill
02-27-2010, 10:11 AM
Well put. I will never spend money on Burzum.

Too late for me, so I better just go all the way.

daimonos
02-27-2010, 02:25 PM
just picked up the new Orphaned Land.

I like it.

After my first listen I wouldn't say I like it more than Ihsahn or High on Fire yet, but we'll see what happens when I listen to it more.

:israel:

DethMaiden
02-27-2010, 04:16 PM

For whatever reason it makes me really uncomfortable that we have this smiley. :eyes:

mankvill
02-27-2010, 04:26 PM
For whatever reason it makes me really uncomfortable that we have this smiley. :eyes:

RACIST

ravenheart
02-27-2010, 04:39 PM
just picked up the new Orphaned Land.

I like it.

After my first listen I wouldn't say I like it more than Ihsahn or High on Fire yet, but we'll see what happens when I listen to it more.

I definitely like it more than High On Fire. I was pretty disappointed with how one-dimensional that turned out to be. I thought more of them than that.

daimonos
02-27-2010, 05:31 PM
I definitely like it more than High On Fire. I was pretty disappointed with how one-dimensional that turned out to be. I thought more of them than that.

really I just kinda look at it as High on Fire is doing the same thing they've been doing for all of their albums, and I love the way they do things. But I can see why people don't like that.

I thought it was a great album though. Really enjoyed it ever since the first listen. Same with Orphaned Land. I've listened to that a couple more times since I bought it and it's starting to grow on me.

Basically what I've determined from the 2010 albums I've bought is that Ihsahn, High on Fire, and Orphaned Land are top 10 material. Fear Factory and Overkill are probably in the middle somewhere, then Rob Zombie would be near the end, just going by the assumption that most bands I will be checking out would be able to write material that's stronger than Rob Zombie's songs. ;)

ravenheart
02-27-2010, 05:36 PM
You'd have Fear Factory on the same level as Overkill? I'm surprised.

daimonos
02-27-2010, 05:45 PM
You'd have Fear Factory on the same level as Overkill? I'm surprised.

I know I'm probably the only one on here who was kinda disappointed by the Overkill. About half of the songs are incredible, but the other half I think just lacks a little bit. As of right now I'm not sure whether I like Mechanize or Ironbound more though, but we'll see.

I've never listened to Fear Factory until I bought Mechanize, so I don't know much about them. I've just heard a couple of their songs hear and there, but I think the album mostly sounds solid, but some of them aren't that great.

Plus I'm just making some predicitions, we got 10 more months too see what happens. :D

mankvill
02-27-2010, 06:38 PM
Will probably never find a physical copy of OrwarrioR so I might DL it soon

daimonos
02-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Will probably never find a physical copy of OrwarrioR so I might DL it soon

if you have an FYE near you I know that they carry them, and if they don't have it in the store you could probably special order it.

But if you don't have one of those then i don't know where you could find a physical copy, other than the internet of course, but you could have figured that out i'm guessing lol.

ADD
02-27-2010, 06:52 PM
I definitely like it more than High On Fire.

Definitely :lol:

I was pretty disappointed with how one-dimensional that turned out to be. I thought more of them than that.

It ain't one-dimensional man, its just that Pike's running out of riffs and tries to compensate by getting creative with the arrangements, which works in the sense that there are more dynamics in their sound now than ever before, hence why its anything but one-dimensional, cuz there's a good amount of melodic and rhythmic variation on Snakes. He's stretching it out with the vocals too incorporating that in with the more traditional songwriting style. But heavy rock sinks or swims on The Riff.

TonyD
02-27-2010, 10:23 PM
^ yeah, but it's not like he isn't recycling old riffs either. I think the bassist having input on this album made a big difference with the songs too.
The more I listen to it, the more it grows on me. It's not exactly a masterpiece but you can't ask for much more than what it is.
One thing I feel like I need to note is the riff in FFP at 2:26 is way more intense live, even by High on Fire standards, since I was one of the lucky few to hear it 6 months ago ;)

DethMaiden
02-27-2010, 11:37 PM
Alright, two albums matter so far. New Overkill and new Johnny Cash. There's been other good stuff but these are the only two that will be anywhere near the top of the heap come December.

daimonos
02-28-2010, 03:12 PM
I know I'm probably the only one on here who was kinda disappointed by the Overkill. About half of the songs are incredible, but the other half I think just lacks a little bit. As of right now I'm not sure whether I like Mechanize or Ironbound more though, but we'll see.

I've never listened to Fear Factory until I bought Mechanize, so I don't know much about them. I've just heard a couple of their songs hear and there, but I think the album mostly sounds solid, but some of them aren't that great.

Plus I'm just making some predicitions, we got 10 more months too see what happens. :D

I take back what I said about Overkill lol...I gave it another listen and I'm enjoying it alot more now, definitely better than Fear Factory...

:horns:

MPF
02-28-2010, 03:32 PM
I take back what I said about Overkill lol...I gave it another listen and I'm enjoying it alot more now, definitely better than Fear Factory...

:horns:

That's what I was hoping to hear. :rocker:

Natrlhi
03-01-2010, 10:15 AM

Give it some time to grow, man. I thought the same thing at first, but I'm really liking it more now. One piece of advice - listen with headphones. It really brings out the bass, which gives this album a lot of texture. There is more going on here than meets the ear at first listen (well, I can only speak for my own ears, but you know what I mean).

ADD
03-01-2010, 11:00 AM
New Overkill and new Johnny Cash.

Both sounded limp to me, well Johnny cuz he was frail and dying, so it does give those recordings more of a vibe.

Most recent thing that came out this year that I've been stoked on is a comp called Brazilian Guitar Fuzz Bananas put out by a record store in NY, amazing compilation of 60's/70's tropicalia psych jams that were mostly originally released as 45"s, comes with a great documentary too.

mankvill
03-01-2010, 11:01 AM
Both sounded limp to me, well Johnny cuz he was frail and dying, so it does give those recordings more of a vibe.

Most recent thing that came out this year that I've been stoked on is a comp called Brazilian Guitar Fuzz Bananas put out by a record store in NY, amazing compilation of 60's/70's tropicalia psych jams that were mostly originally released as 45"s, comes with a great documentary too.

Sounds like you would absolutely love the local record store here.

DethMaiden
03-01-2010, 11:02 AM

I definitely didn't think they'd be up your alley, but I love 'em both. ;)

Div
03-01-2010, 11:23 AM
eh, the new overkill was pretty lacking if you ask me. although i cant justifiably call it a bad album, it just didnt click like their older ones did.

i know im a little late to this realization, but im prepared to admit thrash is dead and just move on.

DethMaiden
03-01-2010, 11:26 AM
eh, the new overkill was pretty lacking if you ask me. although i cant justifiably call it a bad album, it just didnt click like their older ones did.

i know im a little late to this realization, but im prepared to admit thrash is dead and just move on.

Endgame and Ironbound are my only justification for disagreeing. I hate the neo-thrash movement with the exception of Toxic Holocaust and Skeletonwitch, who aren't even really all that neo-thrash.

mankvill
03-01-2010, 11:43 AM
Endgame and Ironbound are my only justification for disagreeing. I hate the neo-thrash movement with the exception of Toxic Holocaust and Skeletonwitch, who aren't even really all that neo-thrash.

I like neo-thrash! Guilty pleasure. Except for the ones who try horribly to sound like Baloff.

Natrlhi
03-01-2010, 11:52 AM
thrash is dead

Skeletontits would like to have a word with you.

ravenheart
03-01-2010, 11:59 AM
Lol, thrash is more alive now than it's been since the '80s. What a ridiculous statement.

Besides, 'Exhibit B' will destroy all of you.

mankvill
03-01-2010, 01:09 PM
Lol, thrash is more alive now than it's been since the '80s. What a ridiculous statement.

Besides, 'Exhibit B' will destroy all of you.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not ready to accept your tastes as universally accepted just yet. ;)

jhdeity
03-01-2010, 01:34 PM
Thrash WAS dead but it's alive and thriving now. I couldn't be happier...

daimonos
03-01-2010, 03:17 PM
I'd say some of the newer thrash bands are good. Some of them could just be considered jokes though.

Too much "party music" thrash being put out though, if you know what i'm saying.

mankvill
03-01-2010, 03:21 PM
I'd say some of the newer thrash bands are good. Some of them could just be considered jokes though.

Too much "party music" thrash being put out though, if you know what i'm saying.

Yeah. I don't like bands like Gama Bomb or stuff like that, but Evile, Warbringer, etc. are all fine by me.

daimonos
03-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Yeah. I don't like bands like Gama Bomb or stuff like that, but Evile, Warbringer, etc. are all fine by me.

from what I've heard, Warbringer, Skeletonwitch, Lazarus AD, and other bands like that are fine by me. All I've heard by Evile is their first album, and that didn't strike me as anything too impressive.

daimonos
03-02-2010, 05:07 PM
has anyone heard the new Borknagar or Avsky?

DethMaiden
03-02-2010, 05:10 PM
has anyone heard the new Borknagar or Avsky?

I heard a couple of tracks from each. Borknagar was pretty meh, but the Avsky was a curveball. Really rockin'.

daimonos
03-02-2010, 05:28 PM
I heard a couple of tracks from each. Borknagar was pretty meh, but the Avsky was a curveball. Really rockin'.

Yeah i heard a couple from the Borknagar, not really too sure about that one right now. I still haven't heard any from the Avsky but I'm definitely interested in it.

mankvill
03-03-2010, 09:50 AM

lovegardensound

is jammin the Brazilian Guitar Fuzz Bananas! http://bit.ly/bCmc65

I TOLD YOU YOU'D LOVE THE RECORD STORE HERE!

ADD
03-03-2010, 10:03 AM
lovegardensound

is jammin the Brazilian Guitar Fuzz Bananas! http://bit.ly/bCmc65

I TOLD YOU YOU'D LOVE THE RECORD STORE HERE!

:agree:

DethMaiden
03-17-2010, 05:24 AM
Alright, here's a top five I can stand to start the year:

1. Alcest - Ecailles de Lune
2. Johnny Cash - American IV: Ain't No Grave
3. Overkill - Ironbound
4. Ihsahn - After
5. Landmine Marathon - Sovereign Descent

On the horizon, I expect greatness from Coffinworm, Mouth of the Architect, and hopefully Nevermore.

Natrlhi
03-17-2010, 05:50 AM
Alright, here's a top five I can stand to start the year:

1. Alcest - Ecailles de Lune
2. Johnny Cash - American IV: Ain't No Grave
3. Overkill - Ironbound
4. Ihsahn - After
5. Landmine Marathon - Sovereign Descent

On the horizon, I expect greatness from Coffinworm, Mouth of the Architect, and hopefully Nevermore.:rocker: That new Landmine Marathon is badass. It looks like Imma have to check out that Ihsahn album - everybody's making such a fuss about it. I might have to try that Alcest, too - I've given them a spin or two in the past, and I seem to remember thinking it's really something I have to be in the mood for, but I'm all about giving stuff a fair day in court before dismissing it. I also definitely don't mind music that's challenging, obviously. ;)

Maiden33
03-17-2010, 08:32 AM
My favorites thus far:
Royal Hunt - X
Armored Saint - la Raza

All four of these discs are great IMO, but I wouldn't be surprised if none of them made my top 10 before the year is out.

Pleasant Surprises:
Rage - Strings to a Web
Charred Walls of the Damned - Charred Walls of the Damned
Overkill - Ironbound

Disappointments:
Gamma Ray - To the Metal (I still like it quite a bit, just underwhelming)
Icarus Witch - Draw Down the Moon
Dream Evil - In the Night

New Avantasia Double Albums are gonna take a massive crap on everything else I've heard though. Also, new Masterplan in May, really excited for the new Silent Call album ("Greed"), Maiden in August(ish), and a whole bunch of other bands I really love planning on new stuff this year.

ADD
03-17-2010, 09:25 AM
Hey Jeff you should know a band, Atlantean Kodex, they play your kinda metal but it ain't bad at all, just got signed to Cruz del Sur I think they're putting out a new album this year, long songs but good epic classic power metal with some doom.

mastodon421
03-18-2010, 02:22 PM
My current top 5 (will proably change when I listen To Dillinger Escape Plan's new one)

1.High On Fire-Snakes For The Divine
2.Overkill-Ironbound
3.Landmine Marathon-Soverign Descent
4.Annotations Of An Autopsy-II:Reign Of Darkness (no joke)
5.Through The Eyes Of The Dead-Skepsis

Up to 10 albums so far and only 2 weak ones.

Crionics
03-20-2010, 07:03 AM
Triptykon on Monday..Can't Wait!

mankvill
03-20-2010, 12:14 PM
Triptykon on Monday..Can't Wait!

:party::party::party:

MPF
03-20-2010, 01:31 PM
Alcest's new album has been kicking my ass lately. I was kinda hoping that the screams would have been completely dropped from the band, but once I listened over a few times, I realized how good they are.

Looking forward to Triptykon's new album. I heard one song, A Thousand Lies, it is fucking brutal!!!

I'm also looking forward to the new Dillinger Escape Plan. It's streaming on their Myspace right now. I may dare say it's their best album yet!

DethMaiden
03-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Alcest's new album has been kicking my ass lately. I was kinda hoping that the screams would have been completely dropped from the band, but once I listened over a few times, I realized how good they are.

The new album is the perfect balance for Alcest. It's mellow when it needs to be, the black metal parts are extremely well-executed when they pop up, and there's no shortage of memorable melodies and riffs. It could easily end up being his masterpiece - although I've still listened to Souvenirs about a thousand more times in the last three years.

mankvill
03-20-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm digging the new Rotting Christ, especially the song with Diamanda Galas. Probably gonna be my favorite song this year.

MPF
03-20-2010, 02:23 PM
The new album is the perfect balance for Alcest. It's mellow when it needs to be, the black metal parts are extremely well-executed when they pop up, and there's no shortage of memorable melodies and riffs. It could easily end up being his masterpiece - although I've still listened to Souvenirs about a thousand more times in the last three years.

I'm going to have to agree. Souvenirs is fucking incredible, but Écailles de Lune is truly a masterpiece.

DethMaiden
03-20-2010, 03:17 PM
I'm going to have to agree. Souvenirs is fucking incredible, but Écailles de Lune is truly a masterpiece.

Are you going to make it down to the Chicago show in April? It's on a Saturday, and frankly I don't know when or even if he'll be back, so if you're as big a fan as I suspect I'd strongly consider taking the trip.

MPF
03-20-2010, 03:46 PM
Are you going to make it down to the Chicago show in April? It's on a Saturday, and frankly I don't know when or even if he'll be back, so if you're as big a fan as I suspect I'd strongly consider taking the trip.

I really, REALLY want to. It all depends on my budget. I know it would totally be worth the 9 hour drive to see him considering he may never come back to the US.

DethMaiden
03-20-2010, 03:50 PM
I really, REALLY want to. It all depends on my budget. I know it would totally be worth the 9 hour drive to see him considering he may never come back to the US.

Well, keep me posted. If you're gonna go we'll have to meet up. :fist:

MPF
03-20-2010, 03:51 PM
Well, keep me posted. If you're gonna go we'll have to meet up. :fist:

Definitely!. I just have to see my outlook for April then I'll know for sure.

daimonos
03-21-2010, 08:23 AM
Just picked up the new Dark Tranquillity yesterday and I have to say from all the "negative" reactions it's been getting I was really surprised with how good it is.

As of right now I can't say it's as good as any of the other Dark Tranquillity I own (The Gallery, Damage Done, Character, and Fiction), but I do think that is a great album by a great band.

Crionics
03-21-2010, 09:11 AM
:party::party::party:

Shit I just realized it's Tuesday for US :hecho:

AnthG
03-21-2010, 08:19 PM
Only listened to 3 albums released this year so far.

Mnemic - Sons of the System - 4/10
Dark Tranquillity - We Are the Void - 8/10
Deftones - Diamond Eyes - 8.5/10

MPF
03-21-2010, 11:46 PM
Don't have any doubts about Triptykon guys, it's fucking brutal!

Crionics
03-22-2010, 10:07 AM
Don't have any doubts about Triptykon guys, it's fucking brutal!

Oh god bring on tommarow :rocker:

JuuKun
03-22-2010, 11:57 AM
New Raintime album "Psychromatic" came out last week, I think. I haven't listened to it yet, but I've heard it's nothing like "Flies and Lies", in a bad way.

SomewhereInTime72
03-25-2010, 08:09 AM
Got the Dinowalrus (http://www.myspace.com/dinowalrus) debut album. It's pretty sick. As a plus, pitchfork doesn't even like it. :tongue:

undergroundrage
03-25-2010, 11:43 AM
Fear Factory - Mechanize, is the best album I've heard this year.

Other 2010 albums:
Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe 2 was a big let down. Had 3 really good songs and the rest I can't even listen to.

Carnifex - Hell Chose Me, another let down. It's not a bad album but I was expecting more.

Through the Eyes of the Dead - Skepsis, is alright...just more of the same from them, and I've never been a huge fan. When they are on, they are on, but...

I've been more into stuff that came out last year that I'm just not getting around to listening to. Like - This Ending, Lazarus A.D., Evile, Wretched, Woe of Tyrants

mastodon421
04-02-2010, 04:20 AM
Updated list
1.The Dillinger Escape Plan-Option Paralysis
2.High On Fire-Snakes For The Divine
3.Overkill-Ironbound
4.Landmine Marathon-Soverign Descent
5.Annotations Of An Autopsy-II: The Reign Of Darkness
6.Through The Eyes Of The Dead-Skepsis
7.Dark Tranquillity-We Are The Void
8.Arsis-Starve For The Devil
9.Demon Hunter-The World Is A Thorn
10.Rob Zombie-Hellbilly Deluxe 2(what a letdown)
11.Carnifex-Hell Chose Me:barf:

Still need to listen to new Unleashed and Priestess

Natrlhi
04-02-2010, 05:32 AM
Still need to listen to new Unleashed and PriestessUnleashed is tits. Haven't heard Priestess yet.

idrinkwine732
04-02-2010, 06:23 AM
Unleashed is tits. Haven't heard Priestess yet.

I don't get the hype on the new Unleashed. I thought it was okay-good...

daimonos
04-02-2010, 06:28 AM
Here's what I got so far:

1-3. (Not sure on the order): High on Fire - Snakes For the Divine, Ihsahn - After, and Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones
4. Orphaned Land - The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR
5. Dark Tranquillity - We Are the Void
6. Overkill - Ironbound
7. Fear Factory - Mechanize
8. Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe 2

still want to pick up the new Mortemia, Hour of Penance, Lightning Swords of Death, Unleashed, Darkthrone, Kalmah, Immolation, Barren Earth, and Ragnarok.

Natrlhi
04-02-2010, 10:34 AM
I don't get the hype on the new Unleashed. I thought it was okay-good...Well, if this puts things in the proper perspective:

I haven't heard hype one about the album - I just simply "obtained" myself a copy prior to eventual purchase if I like it (if you know what I mean ;)), and I listened to it.

First listen, had the same impression as you did.
Second listen, really started liking it more.
Third listen and beyond...it's really growing on me. Not a boring song on the album, really. They're not blazing much new ground here, but then again neither do Amon Amarth and most of the other so-called stalwarts of this genre. There's not much new under the sun with regards to Viking death metal, but the fact that Unleashed manages to keep it interesting after all these years has me sold. That, and I've never seen them live yet. Since their new album doesn't suck, I think it's finally time to remedy that situation. I almost went last year, but shit got fuxored between me and the person I was supposed to go with. Not this time - not again! :fist:

IrritatedTrout
04-02-2010, 10:39 AM
I've yet to hear any albums from this year but I want to listen to:

Gamma Ray - To The Metal
Blaze Bayley - Promise And Terror
Burzum - Belus
Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony/Angel of Babylon
Scorpions - Sting in the Tail

I'll get around to it someday.

Natrlhi
04-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Back on topic, I'm liking the following (in no particular order) so far this year:

High on Fire
Arsis
Red Sparowes
Landmine Marathon
Unleashed
Ludicra
Triptykon
A Silver Mt. Zion

Ihsahn (still making my mind up about this one...)
Immolation (ditto)

Anxiously awaiting:
Lightning Swords of Death - The Extra Dimensional Way
Jucifer - Throned in Blood
Kayo Dot - Coyote
Lair of the Minotaur - Evil Power
Bison B.C. - Dark Ages
The Ocean - Heliocentric
Mouth of the Architect - The Violence Beneath (EP)
Shining - Fodd Forlorare
Grails - Black Tar Prophecies, Vol. 4 (EP)
Cynic - Re-Traced (EP)
Rosetta - A Determinism of Morality
65daysofstatic - We Were Exploding Anyway
This Will Destroy You - Tunnel Blanket
Nachtmystium - Addicts: Black Meddle, Part II
Decrepit Birth - Polarity
The Ocean - Anthropocentric (a companion album to “Heliocentric”)
Control Denied (Chuck Schuldiner) - When Man And Machine Collide

Plus, new stuff coming in 2010 by: Trap Them, Grave, Gorod [EP], God Is an Astronaut, Pig Destroyer, Grails [LP], Grayceon, Cormorant, Darkest Hour, Necrophagist (someday :rolleyes:), IntrOnaut, Cult of Luna, The Sword, Vader (EP), Behemoth (DVD)

EDIT: Updates in italics, because I'm a nerd like that.

IrritatedTrout
04-02-2010, 11:08 AM
Control Denied (Chuck Schuldiner) - When Man And Machine Collide

So that's actually coming out this year? Should be interesting.

Natrlhi
04-02-2010, 11:11 AM
So that's actually coming out this year? Should be interesting.So says the interweb scuttlebutt, anyway...

idrinkwine732
04-02-2010, 02:15 PM
Anxiously awaiting:
The Ocean - Heliocentric

Plus, new stuff coming in 2010 by: Trap Them, Grave, Gorod [EP], God Is an Astronaut, Pig Destroyer, Grails [LP], Grayceon, Darkest Hour, Necrophagist (someday :rolleyes:), IntrOnaut, Cult of Luna, The Sword, Vader (EP), Behemoth (DVD)

I don't think I've ever anticipated an album like I have Heliocentric...Precambrian totally ruled.

You can probs add Cormorant to that list too. They don't know when they can record, so it's tough for them to know when the album's out. They seem to think it'll be out by the end of 2010 though.

ravenheart
04-02-2010, 05:26 PM
I don't think I've ever anticipated an album like I have Heliocentric...

I don't like it. Musically love it, vocally hate it. So we're in the minus overall.

This probably means existing fans will love it.

ravenheart
04-02-2010, 05:27 PM
Bison B.C. - Dark Ages

This rocks. Hard.

Maiden33
04-02-2010, 05:41 PM
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/reviewpics/avantasia2010covers.jpg

:drool: :drool:

idrinkwine732
04-02-2010, 07:04 PM
I don't like it. Musically love it, vocally hate it. So we're in the minus overall.

This probably means existing fans will love it.

You heard it?

ravenheart
04-03-2010, 06:05 AM
You heard it?

No, I just made my opinion up to piss you off.

Yes I've heard it.

daimonos
04-03-2010, 06:19 AM
just remembered new Morbid Angel is supposed to come out this year.

Looking forward to that.

Natrlhi
04-03-2010, 08:04 AM
This rocks. Hard.
I'm hoping they'll be selling their new album on the current tour, even though it isn't released quite yet - if so, I'll have a copy by the end of the day. :rocker:

Yes I've heard it.
Still making friends everywhere you go, I see. ;)

just remembered new Morbid Angel is supposed to come out this year.

Looking forward to that.Yeah, that was gonna be on my list too, but it's so much in the "I'll believe it when I see it" category that I just left it off. :snivel:

ravenheart
04-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Still making friends everywhere you go, I see. ;)

Ask a silly question... ;)

idrinkwine732
04-03-2010, 09:09 AM

Yes I've heard it.

I don't think it's that ridiculous for me to think you were talking about Precambrian, or that you have had some other affiliation with the vocalist/band.

ravenheart
04-03-2010, 09:33 AM
I don't think it's that ridiculous for me to think you were talking about Precambrian, or that you have had some other affiliation with the vocalist/band.

Except that I only quoted the bit about Heliocentric, and spoke of existing fans, which would be irrelevant if talking about an old album.

Indestructible
04-04-2010, 06:25 PM
I am waiting for The Obsidian Conspiracy by Nevermore to come out. After 5 years of waiting I know Nevermore will give us the album we want. I will expect nothing but greatness from Jeff Loomis(Guitars) and Warrel Dane(Vocals). I am also waiting for The Final Frontier by Iron Maiden. Both Maiden and Nevermore will be album of the year for me.

Maiden33
04-04-2010, 07:03 PM
A whole bunch of shit I'm looking forward to that's coming out in the next 2 months or so:

Audiovision - Focus (April 23rd)
Axel Rudi Pell - The Crest (April 23rd)
Black Majesty - In Your Honor (May 14th)
Masterplan - Time to Be King (May 21st)
Silent Call - Greed (Out now, ordering tomorrow)
Vanden Plas - The Seraphic Clockwork (June 4th)
Wuthering Heights - Salt (April 12th)
Y&T - Face Melter (May 21st)

There's more stuff, but these are the big ones for April, May, and June. Still many, many more things set to come out within the year that I'm very much looking forward to.

ADD
04-04-2010, 09:00 PM
No shit Y&T have a new one coming out? No way it could be any good, cool though.

Bloodcurse
04-04-2010, 09:00 PM
Y&T

Haha I didn't know they were still around. I have their "Contagious" album.

ADD
04-04-2010, 09:03 PM
Haha I didn't know they were still around. I have their "Contagious" album.
Earthshaker, Black Tiger, and Mean Streak are awesome records, post-MS they suck, been wanting to check out their earliest stuff when they were still called Yesterday and Today.

Bloodcurse
04-04-2010, 09:07 PM
Immolation - Majesty and Decay
Burzum - Belus
Fear Factory - Mechanize
Nominon - Monumentomb
Master - The Human Machine
Overkill - Ironbound
The Grotesquery - Tales of the Coffin Born (Great new band from Kam Lee)

Disappointments:

Armored Saint - La Raza
Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones

idrinkwine732
04-04-2010, 09:28 PM
Disappointments:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

TonyD
04-04-2010, 10:17 PM
I am waiting for The Obsidian Conspiracy by Nevermore to come out. After 5 years of waiting I know Nevermore will give us the album we want. I will expect nothing but greatness from Jeff Loomis(Guitars) and Warrel Dane(Vocals). I am also waiting for The Final Frontier by Iron Maiden. Both Maiden and Nevermore will be album of the year for me.

It's hard to believe it's been that long since the last Nevermore album came out, it feels like just yesterday I was standing in the record store for what seemed like for ever to decide between Leviathan and This Godless Endeavor

ravenheart
04-05-2010, 05:04 AM
No shit Y&T have a new one coming out? No way it could be any good, cool though.

Yeah. It's been known for a long time. Constant touring too. And apparently they're still great. I see them in June.

Maiden33
04-05-2010, 07:48 AM
Yeah. It's been known for a long time. Constant touring too. And apparently they're still great. I see them in June.

I'll be seeing them in August. For some reason after not playing closer to me than NYC for years, they decided to play here in Allentown - so can't miss it.

overkill13
04-05-2010, 08:16 AM
I'll be seeing them in August. For some reason after not playing closer to me than NYC for years, they decided to play here in Allentown - so can't miss it.

It says they're playing the Sterling Rock Room on their myspace. I thought that place closed? Did they switch venues?

Maiden33
04-05-2010, 08:19 AM
It says they're playing the Sterling Rock Room on their myspace. I thought that place closed? Did they switch venues?

The Sterling closed for remodeling and stuff at the beginning of the year, they are reopening very soon though. From what I heard it's gonna be nicer and more professional - which is great because Allentown desperately needs a venue to take some business from Croc Rock which is virtually right up the street.

Natrlhi
04-05-2010, 08:58 AM
Some updates:

Still need to listen to new Unleashed and PriestessUnleashed is tits. Haven't heard Priestess yet.The new Priestess is also fucking awesome. However, it's 2009, so technically it doesn't belong in this thread, but so what. Get it!

This probably means existing fans will love it.Not necessarily (at least not for yours truly). The same issue ruined Callisto's 2009 album for me. Their new vocalist ruined the whole damn thing, as far as I was concerned. I was so pissed, because I liked Callisto a lot before that. I've been worried about the same thing happening to The Ocean.

Bison B.C. - Dark AgesThis rocks. Hard.Yeah, they didn't have it for sale on tour last weekend. Fuck me. That means I'll have to order it. Oh well.

They did play two songs from it, though, and you're right. :rocker:

ADD
04-05-2010, 10:20 AM
I can't believe I still ain't seen em, and they play around the Bay all the time, that's gotta change this year.

Maiden33
04-05-2010, 10:26 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reYcy_ym5lw

Yeah, I'd say they still are pretty solid live.

Indestructible
04-05-2010, 01:49 PM
Im waiting for Stone Sour,Disturbed and in this moment I think they want new albums this year.

DethMaiden
04-05-2010, 01:51 PM
Im waiting for Stone Sour,Disturbed and in this moment I think they want new albums this year.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Natrlhi
04-05-2010, 01:52 PM
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Yeah, I think he's "retarted".

DethMaiden
04-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Track listing for the new Mouth of the Architect EP has me pretty fucking psyched. Not sure why it's an "EP" if the first full-length is also four songs, but whatever. New MOTA is new MOTA. Check it:

1. The Violence Beneath 07:17
2. Buried Hopes 10:15
3. Restore (Live) 05:54
4. In Your Eyes (Peter Gabriel Cover) 07:41

That's fucking exciting.

Indestructible
04-05-2010, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I think he's "retarted".

O yea I rememebered im not allowed to think for myself I have to submitt to everyone else and act like them. I am not allowed to like the bands that i want to like i have to be a dumed down szombie and follow the rest of you and listen to that stupid growling shit.

ADD
04-05-2010, 05:12 PM
O yea I rememebered im not allowed to think for myself I have to submitt to everyone else and act like them. I am not allowed to like the bands that i want to like i have to be a dumed down szombie and follow the rest of you and listen to that stupid growling shit.
All you gotta do is use proper spelling and punctuation and no one will give you shit, regardless of how shit your taste in music might be.

SomewhereInTime72
04-05-2010, 05:48 PM
All you gotta do is use proper spelling and punctuation and no one will give you shit, regardless of how shit your taste in music might be.

Not to mention just generally making sense and not reacting in a hostile manner when someone doesn't take you seriously, especially when you are posting something that you know is not gonna be taken seriously. ;)

Maiden33
04-05-2010, 06:44 PM

Hey, I am allowed to think for myself, and don't need to listen to what everyone else here generally listens to. I have a mind of my own, and I like what I like.

Seriously dude, if you just learned to react in a more well-spoken, serious manner, people wouldn't give you a fraction of the crap they do. I don't like most of the stuff people listen to here any more than you do (though I don't listen to most of what you listen to either), but 1) I'm not trying to fight them anymore, and 2) No one gives me crap (aside from the occasional jest), because I just don't care and don't go looking for crap.

xStructualDefect
04-06-2010, 12:01 AM
i'm actually a bit on Indestructible's side. anyone who gives anyone shit for liking a band is a douchebag.

Bloodcurse
04-06-2010, 09:44 AM

Should I????????? Nah...:flame:

daimonos
04-06-2010, 11:37 AM
Just picked up the new Darkthrone today.

Sounds pretty promising.

Indestructible
04-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Seriously dude, if you just learned to react in a more well-spoken, serious manner, people wouldn't give you a fraction of the crap they do. I don't like most of the stuff people listen to here any more than you do (though I don't listen to most of what you listen to either), but 1) I'm not trying to fight them anymore, and 2) No one gives me crap (aside from the occasional jest), because I just don't care and don't go looking for crap.

Well i made a new thing. If your a jackass to me I will be one back.

IrritatedTrout
04-06-2010, 12:06 PM
Listened to the new Gamma Ray, pretty disappointed. Only Mother Angel and Deadlands really stood out to me.

Maiden33
04-06-2010, 12:45 PM
Listened to the new Gamma Ray, pretty disappointed. Only Mother Angel and Deadlands really stood out to me.

Rise, Deadlands, and especially Time to live were my three favorites. Aside from that... meh.

Go listen to the new Avantasia albums!

IrritatedTrout
04-06-2010, 12:48 PM
Rise, Deadlands, and especially Time to live were my three favorites. Aside from that... meh.

Go listen to the new Avantasia albums!

My brother ordered the boxset today so I'm gonna rip the mp3s onto my computer next time I go home.

ravenheart
04-06-2010, 12:49 PM

With you on Stone Sour, I see them in June. Would have cared about Disturbed if a) they hadn't carbon-copied 'Ten Thousand Fists' on the last album, and b) didn't suck live.

Couldn't care less about In This Moment.

mankvill
04-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Just picked up the new Darkthrone today.

Sounds pretty promising.

They would kill so much if they went back to black metal.

jhdeity
04-06-2010, 01:55 PM
It would be cool if the same Wolfpack err... group of people didn't always bash people. It's like there is 1 group of bullies who bash certain bands and everyone else is cool on here. It's getting old...

That being said I respect Peter Gabriel immensely but can't think of anything more worthless than ANY band covering In your Eyes.

Just my opinion...

ravenheart
04-06-2010, 01:57 PM
can't think of anything more worthless than ANY band covering In your Eyes.

Just my opinion...

Aye. I saw The Duke cover it live back in '06 and thought, "er, Rich, why did you bother?"

Only low point of an otherwise spectacular show.

DethMaiden
04-06-2010, 02:07 PM
I trust Mouth of the Architect with it because a) they have yet to record a song I didn't like, b) their cover of EyeHateGod's "Story of the Eye" is fantastic, c) I fucking love "In Your Eyes", and d) this version isn't gonna be a damn thing like the original.

mankvill
04-06-2010, 02:22 PM
It would be cool if the same Wolfpack err... group of people didn't always bash people. It's like there is 1 group of bullies who bash certain bands and everyone else is cool on here. It's getting old...

:boohoo:

New Lair of the Minotaur next week. WHERE'S NAT!

daimonos
04-06-2010, 02:27 PM
They would kill so much if they went back to black metal.

As much as I love their black metal stuff and would love to see them do that, I really can't complain about the new sound and direction, because it's still real good I believe.

Indestructible
04-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Ok mankvill your avatar is starting to piss me off I swear you are one the ones who does nothing but Give LOG shit so why the fuck do you have a Lamb of God avatar then. You dont see me on here with a whitechaple or behemoth or Cannibal Corpse avatar No because I think those bands suck so why would I do that.

mankvill
04-06-2010, 02:38 PM
Ok mankvill your avatar is starting to piss me off I swear you are one the ones who does nothing but Give LOG shit so why the fuck do you have a Lamb of God avatar then. You dont see me on here with a whitechaple or behemoth or Cannibal Corpse avatar No because I think those bands suck so why would I do that.

like i said i am repping the best thrash band since pantera because i like thrash metal so i thought i would rep them because i think they are the best thrash band since pantera

ravenheart
04-06-2010, 02:38 PM

He did it for April Fools. Just hasn't changed it yet. No one else seems to care.

Maiden33
04-06-2010, 02:39 PM
For the record:

If anyone doesn't like it here, there is the revolutionary idea known as STOP FUCKING COMING HERE. Seriously, no one has a gun to your head. If you hate a lot of people or the general attitudes/environment, just leave. As pathetic as you think it is to "see the same people constantly bagging on the same bands", it's just as pathetic to see the same people constantly whining and complaining about the environment on a forum they choose to visit.

ravenheart
like i said i am repping the best thrash band since pantera because i like thrash metal so i thought i would rep them because i think they are the best thrash band since pantera

:lol:

mankvill
As much as I love their black metal stuff and would love to see them do that, I really can't complain about the new sound and direction, because it's still real good I believe.

I like it too, but I feel like they can still do a really good black metal album again if they tried.

Indestructible
04-06-2010, 03:00 PM

Neither of them are thrash. Both great bands but not thrash

IrritatedTrout
04-06-2010, 03:05 PM
Yet another topic derailed thanks to LOG.:lol:

jhdeity
04-06-2010, 03:33 PM
For the record:

If anyone doesn't like it here, there is the revolutionary idea known as STOP FUCKING COMING HERE. Seriously, no one has a gun to your head. If you hate a lot of people or the general attitudes/environment, just leave. As pathetic as you think it is to "see the same people constantly bagging on the same bands", it's just as pathetic to see the same people constantly whining and complaining about the environment on a forum they choose to visit.

Keeping the Wolfpack strong I see. Just making a point. I find it funny the same bullies cry like little girls when they are retaliated against and try to gang up on the people putting them in their place.

I come here to share great music and find out about other bands. If you're such a loser that you feel the need to bag on other bands or certain members, go ahead. Free speech... Just don't cry when you ger retaliated on...

I have so much respect for the Mods here and really who ISN'T a mod who would give their left nut to be one. THAT my friends is the best & funniest thing about this site... Buahahahahahahaha

ravenheart
04-06-2010, 03:35 PM
I have so much respect for the Mods here and really who ISN'T a mod who would give their left nut to be one. THAT my friends is the best & funniest thing about this site... Buahahahahahahaha

Meh. Easiest board I've ever been on to moderate. The bullshit here is nothing compared to most boards.

mankvill
04-06-2010, 03:44 PM
http://www.obscene.cz/e-shop/images/wolfbrigade_coma_lpcd.jpg

Not wolfpack...:cool:

Maiden33
04-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Keeping the Wolfpack strong I see. Just making a point. I find it funny the same bullies cry like little girls when they are retaliated against and try to gang up on the people putting them in their place.

I come here to share great music and find out about other bands. If you're such a loser that you feel the need to bag on other bands or certain members, go ahead. Free speech... Just don't cry when you ger retaliated on...

Again, as usual, you ignore the point of what I'm saying and drop this dumb, pointless "Wolfpack" shit.
I'm not a bully or a crybaby. But what I am is a person who has been on this board for years, since long before any of this crap started - back when we actually knew how to have respectable arguments and discussions - which is as much the fault of person A as person B. I still post here because despite all this garbage that has come up in the more recent past, I still enjoy posting here and have a lot of friends here. Also, I've gotten to the point where I can just ignore people's bashing and not care enough to get involved when I shouldn't. If half of a person's (not saying you in particular, but anyone) posts are either bitching or over-dramatic defenses of themselves, they probably should just leave a forum. If you (figuratively speaking) continue to post just to fuck with people, you are an asshole and deserve to be banned.

SomewhereInTime72
04-06-2010, 04:55 PM
I don't see what the problem is with accepting that fact that a lot of people here just do not like Lamb of God and a few other bands. There's really no need to get so upset and take it personally. :eyes:

Actually, I'm kind of fine with the level of tension on the board anyway, it's still nowhere near as high as it was a few years back :eyes:.

DethMaiden
04-06-2010, 04:55 PM

Yeah man I hate when people bag on bands and members of bands, like Megadeth and Dave Mustaine.

:eyes:

SomewhereInTime72
04-06-2010, 04:56 PM
Yeah man I hate when people bag on bands and members of bands, like Megadeth and Dave Mustaine.

:eyes:

:lol: :lol:

idrinkwine732
04-06-2010, 05:09 PM
Has there been any new word on Time this year? I WANT IT SO BAD

JuuKun
04-06-2010, 05:43 PM

I haven't heard anything new about Time since, I believe, early 2009. Who knows.

mankvill
04-06-2010, 05:46 PM
Again, as usual, you ignore the point of what I'm saying and drop this dumb, pointless "Wolfpack" shit.
I'm not a bully or a crybaby. But what I am is a person who has been on this board for years, since long before any of this crap started - back when we actually knew how to have respectable arguments and discussions - which is as much the fault of person A as person B. I still post here because despite all this garbage that has come up in the more recent past, I still enjoy posting here and have a lot of friends here. Also, I've gotten to the point where I can just ignore people's bashing and not care enough to get involved when I shouldn't. If half of a person's (not saying you in particular, but anyone) posts are either bitching or over-dramatic defenses of themselves, they probably should just leave a forum. If you (figuratively speaking) continue to post just to fuck with people, you are an asshole and deserve to be banned.

You are a true bro, and that's why I don't start shit with you anymore. You have me respect! :fist:

daimonos
04-06-2010, 05:52 PM

The fact that you placed Whitechapel along with Cannibal Corpse and Behemoth devalues your point.

If anyone wants to cry about that go ahead.

ADD
04-06-2010, 06:19 PM
All I know is that it's taken its toll on me, the lines have cracked my face :(

jhdeity
04-06-2010, 08:19 PM
I don't see what the problem is with accepting that fact that a lot of people here just do not like Lamb of God and a few other bands. There's really no need to get so upset and take it personally. :eyes:

Actually, I'm kind of fine with the level of tension on the board anyway, it's still nowhere near as high as it was a few years back :eyes:.

I'm open minded to many types of bands. When the same people are ragging on people for liking Pantera and Lamb of God on a metal setlists site and praising Tegan & Sara and The Flaming Lips I can only laugh in their face really. I'm sure others are too so I'm fine with it also.

Personally I hate Dave Matthews even though millions of people love him. If I were to go on a Dave Matthews board and bag on him I'd be a total douche bag. Kinda like the Tegen Lips people here...

And yes Jeff I see what you're trying to say but I personally think you have the worst musical taste of anyone on here. That being said I'm not constantly saying Edguy and Gamma Ray write stupid music or bashing them every time someone posts something about them because this is a metal site. That would be childish and a waste of my time. Maybe if you didn't live on here and throw your 2 cents into every single debate you might be able to step back and see how ridiculous some of the bashing is. That's all.

I'm all about a good debate. Too bad so many people on here have been beaten down for speaking up and all the debates are one sided now...

How about staying true to the thread and debating the 1st quarter of 2009 vs. the 1st quarter of 2010? Actually I might put the 1st quarter of 2010 up against ANY year and have a solid debate...

mankvill
04-06-2010, 08:46 PM
protip: it's funny because you get so upset

fun's over everyone.

idrinkwine732
04-06-2010, 09:49 PM
If I didn't know better, I'd think this guy's never encountered a troll before...

SomewhereInTime72
04-06-2010, 11:11 PM
Fucking Wintersun, that album is about 3 years overdue and they haven't said anything about it in over a year.

ravenheart
04-07-2010, 12:42 AM
Some people seem to care far too much about what other people think. It's funny, and yet sad, all at once.

makethemsuffer12
04-07-2010, 11:33 AM
Would have cared about Disturbed if
b) didn't suck live.

What? Disturbed are fucking great live.

Maiden33
04-07-2010, 11:48 AM
What? Disturbed are fucking great live.

I hate Disturbed, but Ravenheart said Primal Fear sucked live, and that was easily one of the best shows I've ever been to.

The Green and Black
04-08-2010, 09:00 AM
I hate Disturbed, but Ravenheart said Primal Fear sucked live, and that was easily one of the best shows I've ever been to.

Primal Fear is one of the few bands I have never seen that I would really like to see live. I am going to try and swing the NY date in May.

Maiden33
04-08-2010, 09:02 AM
Primal Fear is one of the few bands I have never seen that I would really like to see live. I am going to try and swing the NY date in May.

You NEED to go if you like the band. The show last September was incredible, and I actually really liked the venue - which I don't say very often, if ever.

The Green and Black
04-08-2010, 09:08 AM
You NEED to go if you like the band. The show last September was incredible, and I actually really liked the venue - which I don't say very often, if ever.

I have never been to The Gramercy, only BB Kings, Nokia, Hammerstein Ballroom and L'Amours for NY.

Maiden33
04-08-2010, 09:09 AM
I have never been to The Gramercy, only BB Kings, Nokia, Hammerstein Ballroom and L'Amours for NY.

To say the least, I am very, very happy bands have started to play The Gramercy/Blender theater instead of BB Kings. It has much better sound, a much larger stage, better venue staff, and is just better I think.

Citatet
04-09-2010, 10:07 AM
I took a few listens to the album "Circle The Wagons" by Darkthrone at work the other day. And boy did it suck. It could possibly be the worst metalrelease I have ever heard. It´s really just some weird punk-metal sort of thing with the worst singing ever...

I am however really stoked about the new Deftones. Both songs released sounds really great!

And I am also hoping a lot for the new Khoma (even though the single ain´t good) and mighty Watain...

ADD
04-09-2010, 11:33 AM
This is the better Circle The Wagons....

http://images.payplay.fm/h/u/huskyrock/600/huskyrock.jpg

ravenheart
04-09-2010, 11:44 AM

It could be I caught them on an off day, but they were terrible when I saw them. Lethargic and boring. And I was right at the front too. Massively disappointing.

And Disturbed do suck live. Far too many songs that sound identical and no one in the band besides Draiman has one iota of stage presence.

makethemsuffer12
04-09-2010, 12:12 PM
I don't know man, I've enjoyed Disturbed both times I've seen them.

mastodon421
04-09-2010, 12:22 PM
I'm with you makethemsuffer. I have only seen Disturbed once but they were great live.

daimonos
04-09-2010, 01:12 PM
I've seen Disturbed twice, and was incredibly bored both times...
...And the first time I saw them I was 13...

Anyways, I've been enjoying Circle the Wagons alot the last couple days. It's definitely not for everyone though.

SomewhereInTime72
04-09-2010, 02:26 PM
I saw Disturbed back when I liked them and thought they were damn awesome. :eyes: So as far as I know, they gotta be good as long as you appreciate their music... which admittedly I pretty much do not anymore.

edit: fucking 8 years ago, goddamn...

ravenheart
04-09-2010, 03:43 PM
I enjoyed both the last two albums (even though they were basically the same album), and was still bored at the live show.

I've had three chances to see them, all free, and twice now I've watched the support and gone home.

mastodon421
04-10-2010, 05:29 AM
Listened to the new Coheed and Cambria disc Year Of The Black Rainbow yesterday Pretty good stuff.

Indestructible
04-10-2010, 08:03 PM
I saw Disturbed back when I liked them and thought they were damn awesome. :eyes: So as far as I know, they gotta be good as long as you appreciate their music... which admittedly I pretty much do not anymore.

edit: fucking 8 years ago, goddamn...

I think Disturbed has gotten better since The Sickness

makethemsuffer12
04-11-2010, 04:50 AM
I think Disturbed has gotten better since The Sickness

He wasn't saying that they got worse after The Sickness, he was saying that he outgrew their style of music.

jhdeity
04-11-2010, 12:55 PM
[QUOTE=Citatet;262896]

I am however really stoked about the new Deftones. Both songs released sounds really great!

QUOTE]

I can't get enough of this cd. The video for the title track fits the main riff of the song perfectly. Sometimes simple riffs like Overkill's Skullkrusher are the best riffs. Deftones quickly went from an afterthought to one of the bands I'm most excited to see again. If this cd isn't in my Top 10 by years end I'd be shocked.

SomewhereInTime72
04-11-2010, 01:06 PM
He wasn't saying that they got worse after The Sickness, he was saying that he outgrew their style of music.

Indeed I was... If I were still into them I would probably like 10,000 Fists or whatever the most.

Though occasionally I've been known to throw on The Sickness or Believe when I'm feeling nostalgic for 8th grade.

Maiden33
04-11-2010, 07:56 PM
My 8 favorite albums of the year thus far. There's still a TON of stuff I'm excited for, but all 8 of these making my eventual top 20 wouldn't be a big surprise.

Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony
Wuthering Heights - Salt
Avantasia - Angel of Babylon
Royal Hunt - X
Tarot - Gravity of Light
Armored Saint - La Raza

Other albums with confirmed release names and time frames I'm quite excited for:

Silent Call - Greed (Out now, my copy should be here by Tuesday or Wednesday)
Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier (August 27th?)
Vanden Plas - The Seraphic Clockwork (June 4th)
Masterplan - Time to Be King (May 21st)
Audiovision - Focus (April 23rd)
Crystal Tears - Generation X (June)
Black Majesty - In Your Honor (May 14th)

Akumu
04-11-2010, 08:42 PM
The only album that's really grabbed me so far is the Orphaned Land, which is pretty fantastic. We Are the Void has some cool stuff, but hasn't really stuck with me as a whole yet, and I need to spend more time with the Eluveitie & Avantasia in general (though I might purchase TWS purely for the amazing title track :party:).

Released, but hopefully hearing at some point:

Aspera - Ripples
Barren Earth - Curse of the Red River (the tracks I heard were :drool: -- like early Amorphis meets Opeth, omnom)
Haken - Aquarius
Myrath - Desert Call
Tarot - Gravity of Light
Wuthering Heights - Salt

And looking forward to these releases:

Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy
Pain of Salvation - Road Salt, Vol. 1: Ivory
ReVamp - ReVamp

shane the iconoclast
04-15-2010, 04:41 PM
my list so far in order

1. Eluveitie - everything remains as it never was
2. Arcanum Sanctum - Fidus Achates:rocker:
3. kalmah - 12 gauge
4. Unleashed - as yggdrisal trembles
5. dark tanquillity - we are the void
6. the breathing process - Odyssey (un)dead
7. martriden - encounter the monolith

JuuKun
04-15-2010, 05:47 PM
I haven't gotten the new Tarot yet :mad: though I imagine it'll be pretty high up on my list. Haven't heard the new Eluveitie, JOP, or Royal Hunt yet, either, though hopefully soon. Need to spend more time with the Avantasia albums, but I could see those landing somewhere. Orphaned Land & Ihsahn are still battling it out for 1 and 2.

Eagerly anticipating ReVamp in June, and the second Inmoria album A Farewell To Nothing - The Diary, Part 1. The samples for The Obsidian Conspiracy sound awesome, can't wait for that. I realized the other day that's it's been five years since This Godless Endeavor came out, and I'm really looking forward to some new Nevermore.

DethMaiden
04-15-2010, 06:45 PM
I haven't gotten the new Tarot yet :mad: though I imagine it'll be pretty high up on my list. Haven't heard the new Eluveitie, JOP, or Royal Hunt yet, either, though hopefully soon. Need to spend more time with the Avantasia albums, but I could see those landing somewhere. Orphaned Land & Ihsahn are still battling it out for 1 and 2.

Eagerly anticipating ReVamp in June, and the second Inmoria album A Farewell To Nothing - The Diary, Part 1. The samples for The Obsidian Conspiracy sound awesome, can't wait for that. I realized the other day that's it's been five years since This Godless Endeavor came out, and I'm really looking forward to some new Nevermore.

Not sure if you've heard Écailles de Lune yet, but it's definitely my #1 right now.

Maiden33
04-15-2010, 07:06 PM
This can officially be added to my list of highlights thus far:

http://www.one21music.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/08/sinbreed-when-worlds-collide-300x300.jpg

JuuKun
04-15-2010, 07:28 PM
Not sure if you've heard Écailles de Lune yet, but it's definitely my #1 right now.

Yeah, another one on my list of albums to listen to. I've had so much going on it's been hard to sit down and listen to anything new lately. Want to give this a few spins before the Cambridge show, though.

DethMaiden
04-16-2010, 06:54 PM
Well, here's a top five that I actually really like every album on. Took until April 16th just to get that, sweet Jesus, 2010 sucks.

1. Alcest - Écailles de Lune
2. Coffinworm - When All Became None
3. Lair of the Minotaur - Evil Power
4. Johnny Cash - American VI: Ain't No Grave
5. Overkill - Ironbound

idrinkwine732
04-16-2010, 07:07 PM
Well, here's a top five that I actually really like every album on. Took until April 16th just to get that, sweet Jesus, 2010 sucks.

5. Overkill - Ironbound

I like 2010 so far, but that's only because of a few what I consider to be stellar albums. There's a serious dropoff on my list between 4 and the rest of em.

I've absolutely loved Heliocentric, Eparistera Daimonos, Evolution of Chaos and After. But Snakes for the Divine isn't in After's league.

By the way, Alcest over all those? Wow...

Wizzbang11
04-16-2010, 07:12 PM
I actually don't think I have heard a 2010 album yet :eyes:

but the Children of Technology full length should arrive in a week or two and I'm sure that'll rule :cool:

Fuck, just remembered I haven't heard the new Abscess!! Gah!

DethMaiden
04-16-2010, 07:15 PM
I like 2010 so far, but that's only because of a few what I consider to be stellar albums. There's a serious dropoff on my list between 4 and the rest of em.

I've absolutely loved Heliocentric, Eparistera Daimonos, Evolution of Chaos and After. But Snakes for the Divine isn't in After's league.

By the way, Alcest over all those? Wow...

Eparistera Daimones and After were good but not great. I thought After was great, but really it was just tricking me with all that sax. Take away the sax and it wouldn't interest me at all. :lol: Evolution of Chaos I'm not really interested in, and Heliocentric I have yet to hear but I know myself well enough to say it won't be top 10 material, just not a big Ocean fan.

And hell YEAH Alcest over all of those. :D (But I'm kind of a fanboy)

MPF
04-16-2010, 08:27 PM
Current Top 10 of 2010 So Far:

1.) Ihsahn- After
2.) Mutiny Within- S/T
3.) Alcest- Écailles de Lune
4.) Overkill- Ironbound
5.) Triptykon- Eparistera Daimones
6.) Dillinger Escape Plan- Option Paralysis
7.) Arsis- Starve For The Devil
8.) Charred Walls Of The Damned- S/T
9.) Fear Factory- Mechanize
10.) Coheed & Cambria- Year Of The Black Rainbow

*Honorable Mentions So Far*
Cloudkicker- ]]][[[
Mouth of The Architect- The Violence Beneath

DethMaiden
04-16-2010, 08:30 PM
9.) Fear Factory- Mechanize
10.) Coheed & Cambria- Year Of The Black Rainbow

Really didn't care for these too much even though I'm a fan of the bands.

Very excited to hear the MOTA though. Definitely the best thing Dayton's ever produced music-wise, I've been a fan since '06. :fist:

MPF
04-16-2010, 08:36 PM
As strange as it sounds, Year OF The Black Rainbow, I feel, is their best album. Something about it captured my intereste more then the rest of the catalog. Maybe it's because its a major improvement from NWFT?

ALso it might be partial to me being a Gene Hoglan fanatic, but I really loved Mechanize. As long as I don't over listen I think it kicks ass.

Totally agree on MOTA. I really hope MOTA will tour around MN sometime, these guys deserve my ticket/merchandise money.

DethMaiden
04-16-2010, 08:38 PM
As strange as it sounds, Year OF The Black Rainbow, I feel, is their best album. Something about it captured my intereste more then the rest of the catalog. Maybe it's because its a major improvement from NWFT?

ALso it might be partial to me being a Gene Hoglan fanatic, but I really loved Mechanize. As long as I don't over listen I think it kicks ass.

Totally agree on MOTA. I really hope MOTA will tour around MN sometime, these guys deserve my ticket/merchandise money.

Yikes, we couldn't disagree more on Coheed, because I think No World for Tomorrow was their peak and this was a letdown coming off of that one. :lol:

And yeah, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with Mechanize, but I guess my interest in FF has kind of waned since 2005 or so when my fandom peaked.

And MOTA are spending the summer doing shows in Europe but they've done quite a few US tours, I'm sure they'll make it to Minnesota before long. They put on a crushing set. :horns:

ADD
04-16-2010, 08:47 PM

5. Overkill - Ironbound

u r geigh :dorky:

1. Brant Bjork - Gods and Goddesses
2. Ludicra - The Tenant
3. Various Artists - Brazilian Guitar Fuzz Bananas
4. Ares Kingdom - Incediary
5. Twilight - Monument To Time End

DethMaiden
04-16-2010, 08:49 PM
u r geigh :dorky:

1. Brant Bjork - Gods and Goddesses
2. Ludicra - The Tenant
3. Various Artists - Brazilian Guitar Fuzz Bananas
4. Ares Kingdom - Incediary
5. Twilight - Monument To Time End

Have you heard the Coffinworm? I think you'd really like it. I need to get on that Twilight album, what I've heard from it's fantastic.

Oh, and u r geigh 2. :cool:

Maiden33
04-16-2010, 08:49 PM

My top 10 from this year thus far is already rivaling my year-end 2009 top ten, and I still haven't heard a lot of the albums I'm most excited for. :D

ADD
04-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Have you heard the Coffinworm? I think you'd really like it. I need to get on that Twilight album, what I've heard from it's fantastic.

Oh, and u r geigh 2. :cool:
Yeah, it's aite. Lots of good stuff come out this year, Solace which I haven't heard yet but I know kills, Dzjenghis Khan, even the new High on Fire got some good songs on it, Alcest :D '10 aint that bad :cool:

MPF
04-16-2010, 08:51 PM
Yikes, we couldn't disagree more on Coheed, because I think No World for Tomorrow was their peak and this was a letdown coming off of that one. :lol:

And yeah, there's nothing fundamentally wrong with Mechanize, but I guess my interest in FF has kind of waned since 2005 or so when my fandom peaked.

And MOTA are spending the summer doing shows in Europe but they've done quite a few US tours, I'm sure they'll make it to Minnesota before long. They put on a crushing set. :horns:

I haven't figured it out either. Before YOTBR I wasn't that much into C&C. But When I first heard The Broken. It just caught my ear in a way they never had before, and when I finally hear the whole album it blew me away. I'm not saying that NWFT wasn't good, but to me It just isn't up to par with the preceeding albums. Maybe if I gave it another spin now, I will feel differently?

I felt the same way about FF until I heard Mechanize. When I first got it. Transgression was a badass album to me because of how varied it was at the time, now looking back I don't know what the hell I was thinking. Given there are a few good tracks, but that's about it. With Mechanize, as long as I ignore all the FF bullshit going on lately, it really helps me to just appreciate the music.

I'm sure MOTA has been here before, but I've only recently gotten into them (late 2009, thanks to being here). Since then I have bought every MOTA album I could find and I couldn't be happier. Such a great band! And the new EP has up'ed them a notch.

mastodon421
04-17-2010, 05:22 AM
On the Coheed front I liked Year Of The Black Rainbow but its far from their best work. It is defintley better than No World For Tommorow(imo NWFT is their weakest record).

Updated List I have now listened to 14 records
1.The Dillinger Escape Plan-Option Paralysis
2.High On Fire-Snakes For The Divine
3.Overkill-Ironbound
4.Landmine Marathon-Soverign Descent
5.Annotations Of Autopsy-II:The Reign Of Darkness
6.Coheed and Cambria-Year Of The Black Rainbow
7.Through The Eyes Of The Dead-Skepsis
8.Dark Tranquillity-We Are The Void
9.Arsis-Starve For The Devil
10.Veil Of Maya- (id)
11.Vampire Weekend-Contra
12.Demon Hunter-The World Is A Thorn
13.Rob Zombie-Hellbilly Deluxe 2
14.Carnifex-Hell Chose Me:bouville:

Still need to listen to:
Unleashed-As Yggdrasil Trembles
Eluveitie-Everything Remains as It Never Was
Bullet For My Valentine-Fever
Fear Factory-Meachanize

undergroundrage
04-17-2010, 08:05 AM
So add Woe of Tyrants - Threnody to my list. That album is great.

Two great one's so far-
Fear Factory - Mechanize
Woe of Tyrants - Threnody
-----
-----
-----
The 'decent' list-
Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe 2
Through the Eyes of the Dead - Skepsis
Bleeding Through - Bleeding Through (has potential the more I listen to it)

Sure hasn't been good for 2010 music yet, for me anyway. There is still potential for some more great stuff tho with new Soulfly, As I Lay Dying, Kingdom of Sorrow, Soilwork....and....oh shit this year is going to suck! nothing else is coming out of interest to me and I'm just realizing this now. :mad:

mankvill
04-17-2010, 08:50 AM
I need to get on that Twilight album, what I've heard from it's fantastic.

Fags!

ADD
04-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Fags!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v21/boltthrow/137606d1271377304-funny-strange-ran.jpg

ADD
04-17-2010, 11:53 AM
Invisible Oranges posted a great review of the new Ludicra here http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2010/04/ludicra-the-tenant/

DethMaiden
04-17-2010, 03:27 PM
Invisible Oranges posted a great review of the new Ludicra here http://www.invisibleoranges.com/2010/04/ludicra-the-tenant/

Damn. Added to the need-to-hear column. :fist:

EDIT: Yeah, it's a really good album. Need to hear it a few more times but it's of a comparable level to my top 5. :horns:

Maiden33
04-18-2010, 10:56 AM
So, Trimester #1 of the year is closing out, we're four months through what I anticipated would be a fantastic year for the music I love, and I have to say, it's come pretty close to living up to my very high expectations. Only one or two albums I actually anticipated very good things out of have let me down, and many albums delivered on all accounts. Considering how many things I have yet to look forward to in the coming weeks/months (not to mention stuff later in the year I don't even know about yet), I am figuring on a very well-rounded top 20 of albums I all really, really enjoy. My current top 10 thus far practically rivals my year-end '09 list.

And speaking of that top 10 thus far, here it is, counting up from 1-10, in rough order:
http://www.gemmus.com/wp-content/data/2010/01/WickedSymphony-CoverThumb-150x150.jpghttp://www.nehrecords.com/SHOP/Covers.Esc/SilentGreed.jpghttp://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/s1657774.jpghttp://media.prefixmag.com/site_media/uploads/images/review/w/white-wizzard/51173oid0bL._SL500_AA240__jpg_150x150_crop_q85.jpg http://www.nordicmission.net/product_thumb.php?img=users/nordic_mystore_no/images/sinbreed.jpg&w=150&h=150
http://www.gemmus.com/wp-content/data/2010/01/AngelofBabylon-CoverThumb-150x150.jpghttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/_6IxeL1PRYH4/S2t5rOr6apI/AAAAAAAACjk/E2uqsNNN3to/S190/Royal+Hunt+-+X+by+Eneas.jpghttp://www.live4metal.org/3-10-jonoliva.jpghttp://static.rateyourmusic.com/album_images/s2639793.jpghttp://www.nehrecords.com/SHOP/Covers.AOR_H/ArmoredLa.jpg

ravenheart
04-18-2010, 11:26 AM
Difficult... way too much good stuff already this year but:

Cathedral - The Guessing Game
DoomDogs - DoomDogs
Divided Multitude - Guardian Angel
Myrath - Desert Call
Black Water Rising - Black Water Rising
Overkill - Ironbound
Ereb Altor - The End
Firebird - Double Diamond

Real fucking close: FM - Metropolis, Autumn Hour - Dethroned, Painside - Dark World Burden, Demonica - Demonstrous

However, I have a stack of stuff here I haven't got round to listening to yet that I'm pretty sure will challenge for a top ten spot. Exodus, Karma To Burn and Chris Laney being the main three.

ADD
04-18-2010, 11:28 AM

DoomDogs - DoomDogs
Myrath - Desert Call
Overkill - Ironbound
Ereb Altor - The End

Since I know you're a fan I heard the new Solace last night for the first time, kills as expected, their best work so far :fist:

Maiden33
04-18-2010, 11:42 AM
Myrath - Desert Call

Been listening to this, need to give it more listens, but it's growing on me. Could potentially place really well overall.

ravenheart
04-18-2010, 12:00 PM
Since I know you're a fan I heard the new Solace last night for the first time, kills as expected, their best work so far :fist:

Awesome. I was gutted they cancelled the Orange Goblin Christmas show last December. Although instead we got Roadsaw playing an exclusive set of entirely Kyuss songs, which somewhat rocked ;)

ravenheart
04-18-2010, 01:12 PM
Painside just took Ereb Altor's spot.

Maiden33
04-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Painside just took Ereb Altor's spot.

Just checked them out - sounds good, but almost absolutely identical to Machine Men, both musically and vocally.

ravenheart
04-18-2010, 01:39 PM
Yeah, that's been said elsewhere too. I hear it, but Painside have some extra heaviness that I always find lacking in Machine Men. Painside are much darker.

daimonos
04-18-2010, 07:11 PM

DoomDogs - DoomDogs
Myrath - Desert Call
Overkill - Ironbound
Ereb Altor - The End

Real fucking close: FM - Metropolis, Autumn Hour - Dethroned, Painside - Dark World Burden, Demonica - Demonstrous

However, I have a stack of stuff here I haven't got round to listening to yet that I'm pretty sure will challenge for a top ten spot. Exodus, Karma To Burn and Chris Laney being the main three.

I'm not familiar with Cathedral but I listened to a song or two off of the new album and it sounded really wierd, but in a good way.

Is the whole album awesome?

ravenheart
04-19-2010, 12:53 PM
Double album, and yes, it is. It is weird because they're hugely into prog and every now and then do a full-one 20+ minute prog-doom track. This time they wanted to do a whole album of it.

Totally awesome. I see them next week :D

Natrlhi
04-20-2010, 06:24 AM
Karma To Burn:eek: I had no idea they were back together, or had a new album coming out. My neighbor is a huge fan of theirs, and I am too (but to a lesser degree than him), and I hadn't heard a word about this. That one just got added to the top of my list, pronto. :allan:

xStructualDefect
04-22-2010, 01:39 AM
has anyone listened to the new Kalmah and Eluveite and can tell me how it is? also i've heard Dark Tranquillity's latest wasn't that great. i need to give all 3 a listen soon.

so far i'm really digging Deftones' Diamond Eyes. and i may be the minority on this but i love Arsis's new release. may also be my favorite album by them.

ravenheart
04-22-2010, 02:07 AM
:eek: I had no idea they were back together, or had a new album coming out. My neighbor is a huge fan of theirs, and I am too (but to a lesser degree than him), and I hadn't heard a word about this. That one just got added to the top of my list, pronto. :allan:

They reunited last year. There's a DVD of the tour too.

mastodon421
04-22-2010, 04:35 AM
has anyone listened to the new Kalmah and Eluveite and can tell me how it is? also i've heard Dark Tranquillity's latest wasn't that great. i need to give all 3 a listen soon.

so far i'm really digging Deftones' Diamond Eyes. and i may be the minority on this but i love Arsis's new release. may also be my favorite album by them.

New DT is pretty good. Not their finest work but its still good. I have only heard about half of the new Elueveite record and its great.

Natrlhi
04-22-2010, 07:55 AM
Here is a handful of stuff that I've been listening to lately. It's not an exclusive list (i.e., it doesn't include *everything* I've liked so far), but it is a fair representation of my highlights for the year thus far. It's roughly in order, but not exhaustively so:

Red Sparowes - The Fear Is Excruciating, But Therein Lies the Answer
Lair of the Minotaur - Evil Power
Landmine Marathon - Sovereign Descent
Unleashed - As Yggdrasil Trembles
Arsis - Starve for the Devil
Bison B.C. - Dark Ages
Fang Island - Fang Island
Ludicra - The Tenant
Mouth of the Architect - The Violence Beneath (EP)
A Silver Mt. Zion - Kollaps Tradixionales
Immolation - Majesty and Decay
Ihsahn - After

It's been a good year so far, but not nearly as chocked full of awesomeness as last year. Still, there have been some real badass albums already. :rocker:

idrinkwine732
04-22-2010, 12:35 PM
I listened to Evil Power and looovveedd it.