PDA

View Full Version : 2010 So Far

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

daimonos
04-22-2010, 08:09 PM
New DT is pretty good. Not their finest work but its still good. I have only heard about half of the new Elueveite record and its great.

I agree about the Dark Tranquillity album. It's not as good as their other stuff but it's still a great album.

The Green and Black
04-22-2010, 08:53 PM
I agree about the Dark Tranquillity album. It's not as good as their other stuff but it's still a great album.

It's good but they will never top, wait for it -

The Gallery! :rocker:

xStructualDefect
04-22-2010, 10:14 PM
thanx for the responses i'll probably check out the new DT tonight then. i liked The Gallery but Damage Done and Character were always my favorites.

after a few listens of the new Deftones album i think i could say it's my favorite behind White Pony. really an amazing album.

SomewhereInTime72
04-22-2010, 10:38 PM
The new DT album is an excellent "headphones" album, but doesn't really pack the full punch when played out of speakers. Something I noticed. :eyes:

daimonos
04-23-2010, 07:37 AM
It's good but they will never top, wait for it -

The Gallery! :rocker:

THAT'S RIGHT, NOW YOU WILL SUFFER MY PUNISHMENT!

:rocker:

idrinkwine732
04-28-2010, 08:30 PM
1. The Ocean - Heliocentric
2. Triptykon - Eparistera Daimonos
3. Heathen - Evolution of Chaos
4. Alcest - Écailles De Lune
4. Ihsahn - After
5. Martriden - Encounter the Monolith
6. Landmine Marathon - Sovereign Descent
7. High on Fire - Snakes for the Divine
8. Arsis - Starve for the Devil
9. Darkthrone - Circle the Wagons
10. Unleashed - As Yggdrasil Trembles
11. Dark Tranquillity - We Are the Void

Alcest can thank Brad for my money...that shit is good...

undergroundrage
05-02-2010, 08:15 PM
Sooo time to update.

Top 2:
Fear Factory - Mechanize
As I Lay Dying - The Powerless Rise

The rest:
Woe of Tyrants - Threnody
Soulfly - Omen
Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe 2
Bleeding Through - Bleeding Through

...and the last two really shouldn't be on any 'best of' list. Such a weak year. Looking at what's coming out and I'm thinking I may have a hard time with a top 10 this year. I can see maybe 5-7 solid albums total for the whole year and I'm only expecting another 2-3 to be great. Compared to last year, 2010 sucks for new music, for me anyway.

idrinkwine732
05-02-2010, 08:58 PM
...and the last two really shouldn't be on any 'best of' list. Such a weak year. Looking at what's coming out and I'm thinking I may have a hard time with a top 10 this year. I can see maybe 5-7 solid albums total for the whole year and I'm only expecting another 2-3 to be great. Compared to last year, 2010 sucks for new music, for me anyway.

I sorta have the thought that if you don't like 10 albums in the year, you aren't looking hard enough. I've heard quite a few albums now, a lot of them good, some of them bad.

DethMaiden
05-02-2010, 09:15 PM
I sorta have the thought that if you don't like 10 albums in the year, you aren't looking hard enough. I've heard quite a few albums now, a lot of them good, some of them bad.

I totally agree with you, and I don't agree with any of the albums that what'shisface up there posted, but I really do only have six albums this year that I would be remotely comfortable calling "best of" material. I'm hoping this year is heavily weighted to the fall like most years, or else...yeah, this year's gonna suck for me. :(

idrinkwine732
05-02-2010, 09:24 PM
Don't worry, we may have new Cormorant out this year...;)

MPF
05-02-2010, 09:29 PM
I think's it's been a killer year so far. Hey, it's only May. There's still 7 months left for some more kickass albums.

Wizzbang11
05-02-2010, 09:42 PM
So far I have heard
Darkthrone-Circle the Wagons
Abscess- Dawn of Inhumanity
Children of Technology-It's Time to Face the Doomsday
Kerasphorus- Cloven Hooves at the Holocaust Dawn
Nunslaughter-Black
Blasphemophagher-...For Chaos,Obscurity and Desolation...

and I would rank them

1. Children of Technology
2. Kerasphorus
3. Darkthrone
4. Abscess
5. Blasphemophagher
6. Nunslaughter

undergroundrage
05-02-2010, 10:34 PM

Oh I've been looking. Actually, I've looked up nearly every album mentioned in this topic and have come away with nothing new that I like. Last year I could do a top 30 easy. This year is just weak and the release date calender for the rest of the year doesn't have much on it, for me anyway.

idrinkwine732
05-02-2010, 10:54 PM
I'd say I didn't know about half of the albums in my top 40 last year going into the year.

Natrlhi
05-03-2010, 07:06 AM
1. The Ocean - Heliocentric
Wow, really? Those vocals were killing me the first time I listened to it. I still gotta go back and check it out further, but I don't have very high hopes for it. Musically, it sounded great. Trying to be objective about it, I suspect it'll end up in the middle of my list somewhere, at best. And for the record, I like The Ocean quite a bit.

2. Triptykon - Eparistera Daimonos
6. Landmine Marathon - Sovereign Descent
7. High on Fire - Snakes for the Divine
8. Arsis - Starve for the Devil
10. Unleashed - As Yggdrasil TremblesI'm liking all of these quite a bit, too. :fist:

idrinkwine732
05-03-2010, 07:24 AM
Wow, really? Those vocals were killing me the first time I listened to it. I still gotta go back and check it out further, but I don't have very high hopes for it. Musically, it sounded great. Trying to be objective about it, I suspect it'll end up in the middle of my list somewhere, at best. And for the record, I like The Ocean quite a bit.

It's not Precambrian, another omission from my decade list, but I think it's an extremely good effort. I think there's the small lull in the center that has moments of crap in it, but when it's good, ooohh man is it good. I have no problem with the vocals, although I would have appreciated to hear Pilat's on this album. I don't expect it to stay there forever, but when I listen to it, I think it's the best album of the year.

daimonos
05-03-2010, 01:18 PM
I still gotta check out:

Unleashed
Twilight
Dark Fortress
Rotting Christ
Cathedral
Negura Bunget
Barren Earth

mankvill
05-03-2010, 01:34 PM
Abscess- Dawn of Inhumanity

need dis

Citatet
05-04-2010, 09:51 AM
I really don´t think that 2010 has been particular strong yet.

The New Deftones album is truly great, and the album by Overkill is very cool indeed. I have only given the new Immolation album half a spin at work, but it sounds really cool.

Otherwise:

Triptykon was flat out boring (never really cared for Celtic Frost either)
Airbourne was quite a let down really.
Darkthrone was flat out awful. Could possibly be the worst metal album of all times.
Coheed & Cambria was meh!
Khoma was also a bit of a let down, but perhaps it will grow in the future

And the first half of Orphaned Land was amazing. But the second half. Meh!

Really hope something new to discover comes out this year. Like when I discovered Cobalt last year. That was one bad-ass record!

Natrlhi
05-04-2010, 10:37 AM
Really hope something new to discover comes out this year. Like when I discovered Cobalt last year. That was one bad-ass record!Are you familiar with Lair of the Minotaur, Ludicra, Landmine Marathon or Bison B.C.? They all have excellent albums out this year, and they're not as widely known as some other bands. None of these is "Cobalt good", but they're all very solid - especially LotM.

Awesome albums are also out there by High on Fire, Arsis, Unleashed and Red Sparowes, depending on what you like to listen to.

DethMaiden
05-04-2010, 11:30 AM
Are you familiar with Lair of the Minotaur, Ludicra, Landmine Marathon or Bison B.C.? They all have excellent albums out this year, and they're not as widely known as some other bands. None of these is "Cobalt good", but they're all very solid - especially LotM.

Awesome albums are also out there by High on Fire, Arsis, Unleashed and Red Sparowes, depending on what you like to listen to.

Lair of the Minotaur and Ludicra are in my top 3 along with Alcest. Check out all of those, Citatet.

Citatet
05-04-2010, 01:09 PM
Are you familiar with Lair of the Minotaur, Ludicra, Landmine Marathon or Bison B.C.? They all have excellent albums out this year, and they're not as widely known as some other bands. None of these is "Cobalt good", but they're all very solid - especially LotM.

Thank you so much for this.

I wasn´t aware that Red Sparowes had a new album out. But I found it at spotify and I am sure it will be great. Much better band than the highly overrated Pelican in my mind.

I also found Bison B.C.,High on Fire, Arsis, Unleashed and Alcest on Spotify so they will be given a spin at work tomorrow. This will be intresting to listen to :rocker:

daimonos
05-04-2010, 04:07 PM
I picked up the new 1349 today. It's pretty damn good.

So right now my list would be:

1-2. Ihsahn - After, Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones
3. High on Fire - Snakes For the Divine
4. Orphaned Land - The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR
5-6-7. 1349 - Demonoir, Darkthrone - Circle the Wagons, Dark Tranquillity - We Are the Void
8. Fear Factory - Mechanize
9. Overkill - Ironbound
10. Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe 2

Wizzbang11
05-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Heard the Lair of the Minotaur record.
Eh. War Metal Battle Master was a little better, but both albums are significantly less good than Carnage and Ultimate Destroyer. The music feels a little tired, although the music video is one of the coolest I have seen in a long time, may even be better than the WMBM, but there are way more tits in the new one, so that may be influencing my opinion.

mankvill
05-04-2010, 05:48 PM
Heard the Lair of the Minotaur record.
Eh. War Metal Battle Master was a little better, but both albums are significantly less good than Carnage and Ultimate Destroyer. The music feels a little tired, although the music video is one of the coolest I have seen in a long time, may even be better than the WMBM, but there are way more tits in the new one, so that may be influencing my opinion.

I am digging Evil Power more than War Metal Battle Master, and it's about on par with The Ultimate Destroyer for me.

Wizzbang11
05-04-2010, 05:54 PM
I am digging Evil Power more than War Metal Battle Master, and it's about on par with The Ultimate Destroyer for me.

My biggest issue is the shift to a more "hardcore" style sound, the older material was more harsh and chaotic.
EP and WMBM are both way better than most albums that get put out these days, but I'll take the first two any day.

mankvill
05-04-2010, 06:04 PM
It evokes more Hellhammer than their previous releases, though. And that's a huge plus for me. :D

Wizzbang11
05-05-2010, 07:46 PM
Barathrum/Eparkristus split takes #2. Holy shit it's amazing. Would be number 1 if there were more than 3 Barathrum songs.
Sadly no one has put it on the internet yet and I don't have a USB turntable anymore, so you need to buy it from France. Totally worth the obscene shipping costs.

Citatet
05-11-2010, 10:13 AM
So today I have had some oppurtunity to listen to some of new records.

Red Sparowes - Fucking great album! Really a contender for this years top 10 list. Must buy next time I am in Stockholm.

High on Fire - Really good. Like a tougher QOTSA. Might be buying this actually.

Unleashed - Meh. Reminds me a lot of an old band called Unanimated, but the singer is actually quite annoying .

Alcest - Very diffrent with the french and all. Will give it some more spins tomorrow.

DethMaiden
05-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Everyone needs to get privy to this album, now:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/img/metal/column/howlfullofhell.jpg

Only thing challenging Alcest right now.

Maiden33
05-11-2010, 09:07 PM
Current Top 10:

01.Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony
02.Silent Call - Greed
03.Wuthering Heights - Salt
04.Dreyelands - Rooms of Revelation
05.Sinbreed - When Worlds Collide
06.Avantasia - Angel of Babylon
07.Royal Hunt - X
08.White Wizzard - Over the Top
09.Tarot - Gravity of light
10.Jon Oliva's Pain - Festival

Also really enjoyed:
Armoed Saint - la Raza
Charred Walls of the Damned - S/T
Overkill - Ironbound
Excalion - High Time
Rage - Strings to a Web
And even though it's incredibly formulaic and somewhat dull for them, I enjoy the new Gamma Ray quite a bit - especially Rise, Deadlands, and Time to live.

A few specific things I'm really looking forward to in the next six weeks:
Masterplan - Time to Be King (May 21st)
Vanden Plas - The Seraphic Clockwork (June 4th)
labyrinth - Return to Heaven Denied (June 21st)
Crystal Tears - Generation X (June 15th)

ADD
05-11-2010, 10:52 PM
Everyone needs to get privy to this album, now:

http://www.brooklynvegan.com/img/metal/column/howlfullofhell.jpg

Only thing challenging Alcest right now.

:barf: :zzz: What next, you gonna start pimping Bison BC and Black Tusk?

DethMaiden
05-11-2010, 10:57 PM

Damn, I can't pin you down, man. I figured you'd be one of the people who would be way into the Howl disc. :lol: I guess I don't know what makes other, similar shit good and this bad. The riffs are awesome and every song is good.

And for the record, Black Tusk rule as well, and I don't know much about Bison BC, but what I've heard I've liked. :eyes:

ADD
05-11-2010, 10:58 PM
Just bores me, nothing stands out. This is a real matter of rock n roll http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126561366

DethMaiden
05-11-2010, 11:02 PM
Just bores me, nothing stands out. This is a real matter of rock n roll http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=126561366

Nothing wrong with Harvey Milk, I dig a good bit of their stuff too. I'm just not as critical about stuff that checks all the boxes on my "shit that makes an album awesome" list as you are, I guess, because a good 75% of stuff I listen to - stuff you probably would have been into in like 2005 - you write off as boring or mehtal. :lol: Forgive my inability to discern the good from the weak.

ADD
05-11-2010, 11:03 PM
Hey man it's all opinions and tastes, they change over time, in 5 years I probably won't be into some of the same stuff I'm into now, but some I will still dig just like I still dig a lot of stuff I was into in '05 and before.

DethMaiden
05-11-2010, 11:05 PM
I guess I kind of tend to expand rather than evolve. I can't help but continue to like just about everything I've liked since I got into metal. I just fucking love listening to metal and whenever stuff hits the sweet spot of what I like about the genre and makes me smile, I'm not gonna pick it apart too much. I don't have a problem with what you dig or anything like that, I think it's just that different stuff does it for me than what does it for you a lot of the time anymore, and that's totally cool. :cool: Sometimes you just surprise me (the Howl album being a prime example) is all. ;)

ADD
05-11-2010, 11:10 PM
I guess I kind of tend to expand rather than evolve. I can't help but continue to like just about everything I've liked since I got into metal. I just fucking love listening to metal and whenever stuff hits the sweet spot of what I like about the genre and makes me smile, I'm not gonna pick it apart too much. I don't have a problem with what you dig or anything like that, I think it's just that different stuff does it for me than what does it for you a lot of the time anymore, and that's totally cool. :cool: Sometimes you just surprise me (the Howl album being a prime example) is all. ;)
Fasho, well I still think you have good taste especially compared to the rest of this site, even if we don't totally go for the same music all the time. Obviously I prefer what Howl do to a lot of other music coming out but it isn't something that I'd go out of my way to see live or buy the record.

idrinkwine732
05-11-2010, 11:16 PM

I'm not going to respond to this.

MPF
05-11-2010, 11:27 PM
Just checked out Howl on myspace. Damn this is good stuff!

mastodon421
05-12-2010, 10:50 AM
I have checked out quite a few records in the last week. I plan on listening to the new Deftones,Howl,Beneath The Sky and Black Breath records in the next couple of weeks.

Updated Top 10 (up to 18 records on the year)
1.The Dillinger Escape Plan-Option Paralysis
2.As I Lay Dying-The Powerless Rise
3.High On Fire-Snakes For The Divine
4.Overkill-Ironbound
5.Landmine Marathon-Soverign Descent
6.Unleashed-As Yggdrasil Trembles
7.Annotations Of Autopsy-II:The Reign Of Darkness
8.Coheed and Cambria-Year Of The Black Rainbow
9.Eluveite-Everything Remains As It Never Was
10.Through The Eyes Of The Dead-Skepsis

Natrlhi
05-12-2010, 03:32 PM
Good boy. ;)

Natrlhi
05-12-2010, 03:34 PM

If he doesn't pimp Bison BC, I will. I haven't checked out Black Tusk yet, but from what I've heard I would probably like them, too.

Epidemic Reign
05-14-2010, 03:03 AM
I've got a lot of catching up to do on 2010 already, so for now I'll just post my current top 3:

1. Solution .45 - For Aeons Past
2. Dark Tranquillity - We Are the Void
3. Mnemic - Sons of the System

xStructualDefect
05-26-2010, 08:01 AM
Deftones - Diamond Eyes: amazing. favorite of 2010 so far.

Taproot - Plead the Filth: i lost interest in this band after their horrible last album, but this album is ace. can't wait to see them in a few weeks.

Arsis - Starve For The Devil: don't know why a lot of people hate this album. it's heavy, it's thrashy, fun to listen to. this may be my favorite album from them actually.

Dark Tranquillity - WATV: big meh, it wasn't memorable at all. i ended up deleting it actually. if i want to listen to DT, i'll put on The Gallery, Damage Done, or Character.

Eluveitie - Everything Remains: it's good, but i don't remember it much, i'll give it another listen some time.

Veil of Maya - [id]: great album. yes they have breakdowns but this band is very talented. would recommend people checking it out.

Kalmah - 12 Gauge: loved it. if anyone wants some ace melodic death, this album is one to check out.

i still need to listen to the new As I Lay Dying and Mnemic.

Natrlhi
05-26-2010, 08:13 AM
Arsis - Starve For The Devil: don't know why a lot of people hate this album. it's heavy, it's thrashy, fun to listen to. this may be my favorite album from them actually.I don't know about being my favorite, but I agree 100% with everything else you said. The album is fast, thrashy, heavy and fun as hell. Great stuff. I love it.

DethMaiden
05-26-2010, 08:34 AM
Veil of Maya - [id]: great album. yes they have breakdowns but this band is very talented. would recommend people checking it out.

Not picking on you specifically, but I find this hilarious. Even fans of good bands say it. Who gives a shit how talented the band is? If they're good enough to be in a band that got signed and they aren't playing joke grindcore, no shit, they're gonna be talented. Why the hell would I listen to a band to reaffirm that they have said talent?

And yes, Veil of Maya happen to suck horribly. They bring shame to their band name, which they claim to have not known was a song by Cynic. That's evidence enough that they suck. Five dudes in a metal band that doesn't know the title of the most famous Cynic song. :tp:

xStructualDefect
05-26-2010, 08:47 AM
Not picking on you specifically, but I find this hilarious. Even fans of good bands say it. Who gives a shit how talented the band is? If they're good enough to be in a band that got signed and they aren't playing joke grindcore, no shit, they're gonna be talented. Why the hell would I listen to a band to reaffirm that they have said talent?

And yes, Veil of Maya happen to suck horribly. They bring shame to their band name, which they claim to have not known was a song by Cynic. That's evidence enough that they suck. Five dudes in a metal band that doesn't know the title of the most famous Cynic song. :tp:

it's all taste really. you think they suck, but i personally enjoy listening to them, and think they're talented and write some pretty good riffs. and i called them talented because i was stating that even though they have breakdowns doesn't mean they have no talent. and the Cynic statement was pretty stupid. even though Cynic is very influential doesn't mean everyone knows about them. they're really not that well known, although i think with Traced in Air being released and going on tour with BTBAM and Meshuggah probably increased their popularity.

Natrlhi
05-26-2010, 08:52 AM
^ You were holding your own until you got to the point about Cynic not being well known. The point is, they should be, by anyone who knows anything about death metal. They are more well-known for Focus than they are for Traced in Air. They are legends mainly because they are former members of the legendary band Death, who put out one album over fifteen years ago that turned the death metal world on its ear, and then they disappeared. Any death metal band worth its salt should know about that.

xStructualDefect
05-26-2010, 09:04 AM
^ You were holding your own until you got to the point about Cynic not being well known. The point is, they should be, by anyone who knows anything about death metal. They are more well-known for Focus than they are for Traced in Air. They are legends mainly because they are former members of the legendary band Death, who put out one album over fifteen years ago that turned the death metal world on its ear, and then they disappeared. Any death metal band worth its salt should know about that.

what i'm getting at is in reality a lot of people have no idea who Cynic is. maybe metalheads who spend time researching about metal bands will know of them, but for the most part a lot of people don't know them. i even remember before Traced in Air was released and few people started talking about it, people on the internet were confused not having any idea who that band was. and honestly i was one of those people, i've heard of hundreds and hundreds of metal bands, but i have never heard of Cynic before. i honestly think if you were to ask the average person who listens to death metal, they wouldn't know who Cynic is. just because 2 members of Cynic were on one Death album doesn't mean everyone is going to know of Cynic. of course everyone knows who Death is, that's a given. and if they don't know who that or who Chuck Schuldiner is, then.. i don't know haha

mastodon421
05-26-2010, 09:50 AM
Good to know someone else is digging (id). It is a very good record. Veil Of Maya writes fantastic riffs and is blossoming into one hell of a band.

On the topic of Cynic. They are very influential but they are defintley not as well known as you think. Mainly because they disappeared for a very long time after Focus. Cynic is defintley somewhat well known but not as big as you think.

Natrlhi
05-26-2010, 10:31 AM
On the topic of Cynic. They are very influential but they are defintley not as well known as you think. Mainly because they disappeared for a very long time after Focus. Cynic is defintley somewhat well known but not as big as you think.

All right, look. I never said "everybody knows about Cynic". That, of course, would be a ridiculous statement. I simply said that if a group of musicians who want to play death metal is serious about what they are doing - that is, being a death metal band - then they probably ought to know who Cynic is. There is a difference.

Of course, there are probably a whole bunch of folks who don't know who Cynic is:

People who are too young to know about Cynic because "Focus" came out when they were kids.
People who don't really listen to death metal.
People who do listen to death metal, but not the more progressive stuff.
People who don't like metal at all.
People who don't like music.
People who don't have ears.
People who live in caves.
People who are mentally retarded and / or crazy.

...I think you get the point.

But if you're going to form a fucking band and make progressive death metal (or maybe they would call it "progressive deathcore" - who the fucks knows or cares) - then chances are, you have a set of influences, right? Chances are, many of those bands are death metal bands, right? Some of those are probably among the more progressive death metal bands, right? You should be pretty well steeped in this shit, should you not, if that's what you're going to do for a living? Then how in the hell - if you're one of the very select group of people I am describing - do you NOT know about the existince of Cynic, if you're one of these people? Huh?!?

That's all I'm saying. Capiche?

DethMaiden
05-26-2010, 10:50 AM
All right, look. I never said "everybody knows about Cynic". That, of course, would be a ridiculous statement. I simply said that if a group of musicians who want to play death metal is serious about what they are doing - that is, being a death metal band - then they probably ought to know who Cynic is. There is a difference.

Of course, there are probably a whole bunch of folks who don't know who Cynic is:

People who are too young to know about Cynic because "Focus" came out when they were kids.

But if you're going to form a fucking band and make progressive death metal (or maybe they would call it "progressive deathcore" - who the fucks knows or cares) - then chances are, you have a set of influences, right? Chances are, many of those bands are death metal bands, right? Some of those are probably among the more progressive death metal bands, right? You should be pretty well steeped in this shit, should you not, if that's what you're going to do for a living? Then how in the hell - if you're one of the very select group of people I am describing - do you NOT know about the existince of Cynic, if you're one of these people? Huh?!?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

And this is barely about Veil of Maya, at least as I originally meant it. I'm saying that calling a band "talented" is absofuckinglutely no grounds for saying their music is good, and it's sickening how often people on here talk about bands as "talented" to defend them. Who cares!

Maiden33
05-26-2010, 10:59 AM
Can't we all just listen to this and get along? :D
http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/img/d7/26156.jpg

Natrlhi
05-26-2010, 11:01 AM
I'm saying that calling a band "talented" is absofuckinglutely no grounds for saying their music is good, and it's sickening how often people on here talk about bands as "talented" to defend them. Who cares!:lol: The minute I hear someone call a band "talented", I know they're going to suck.

You mean they can play guitar and drums? Get the fuck out of town! :D

Natrlhi
05-26-2010, 11:01 AM
Can't we all just listen to this and get along? :D
http://www.metalkingdom.net/album/img/d7/26156.jpg

Ummmmm...no. ;)

EDIT: (with all due respect)

mastodon421
05-26-2010, 11:37 AM

Got it. I completely misread your first post. My bad I fucked up. No Hard Feelings:D

xStructualDefect
05-26-2010, 04:43 PM

yeah you do make a very good point actually. i would've figured they listened to Cynic and have them as an influence. i never read anywhere that they don't know of Cynic. Veil of Maya is young though i'm not suprised they don't know of them.

And this is barely about Veil of Maya, at least as I originally meant it. I'm saying that calling a band "talented" is absofuckinglutely no grounds for saying their music is good, and it's sickening how often people on here talk about bands as "talented" to defend them. Who cares!

okay geez sorry for calling a band talented. the only reason i said it was because everyone says all deathcore bands have no talent. but if you listen to a band like All Shall Perish, Veil of Maya, or After The Burial, you cannot tell me those bands don't know how to play their instruments well. that's all i'm trying to get across.

but saying music is good is all matter of opinion really. i personally think most death metal, sludge metal, black metal, grindcore sucks, but that's just my opinion.

mankvill
05-26-2010, 04:47 PM
but saying music is good is all matter of opinion really. i personally think most death metal, sludge metal, black metal, grindcore sucks, but that's just my opinion.

you wrong!

DethMaiden
05-26-2010, 04:58 PM
Alright, Veil of Maya are very talented at using their instruments to make bad music. There. ;)

Anyway, 2010: Ludicra's is gaining on Alcest's. Might not pass it but I probably listen to it more at this point. :fist:

idrinkwine732
05-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Anyway, 2010: Ludicra's is gaining on Alcest's. Might not pass it but I probably listen to it more at this point. :fist:

:cool: Yet another metal fan becomes addicted to Bay Area metal :cool:

DethMaiden
05-26-2010, 05:03 PM
:cool: Yet another metal fan becomes addicted to Bay Area metal :cool:

:tongue: Unfair advantage with that legacy. There's definitely some Dayton bands you'd be into, too. Mouth of the Architect ring a bell?

mankvill
05-26-2010, 05:03 PM
New Hammerlord = thrash album of the year :cool:

DethMaiden
05-26-2010, 05:05 PM
New Hammerlord = thrash album of the year :cool:

We should make a Metal Set Lists "best band from each city a highly active member is from" compilation. :fist:

mankvill
05-26-2010, 05:15 PM
We should make a Metal Set Lists "best band from each city a highly active member is from" compilation. :fist:

FUCK YEAH.

Instead of "This Comp Kills Fascists" it's "This Comp Kills N00bs"

IrritatedTrout
05-26-2010, 05:58 PM
Veil of Maya is young though i'm not suprised they don't know of them.

Being young is not an excuse for not knowing about highly influential bands. Not an attack on you, I just wanted to put it out there. I hate kids that don't bother to understand the old-school.

idrinkwine732
05-26-2010, 07:30 PM
Mouth of the Architect ring a bell?

I'll hastily turn off The Ties that Blind to give you an answer.

Yes.

DethMaiden
05-26-2010, 07:31 PM
I'll hastily turn off The Ties that Blind to give you an answer.

Yes.

:light: I'll be getting a tattoo loosely based on that record as soon as I muster up the courage/money.

Maiden33
05-26-2010, 08:05 PM
This album is gonna be the shit and then some.
http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/reviewpics/blindedge.jpg

Chyck
05-26-2010, 08:19 PM

~wanders on~

Ludicra! :rocker:

and Alcest! :fist:

~wanders off~

xStructualDefect
05-26-2010, 10:46 PM

:agree:

The Green and Black
05-27-2010, 06:49 AM
Play nice, children! :D

Top 5 picks for me from 2010 so far would be -

1) Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony
2) Avantasia - Angel of Babylon
3) Overkill - Ironbound
4) Y&T - Facemelter
5) Jon Oliva's Pain - Festival

ravenheart
05-27-2010, 11:58 AM

Haha, awesome idea.

DethMaiden
05-27-2010, 12:06 PM
Haha, awesome idea.

Formed in the last ten years only! Won't be fair for you to put a Maiden track. ;)

ravenheart
05-27-2010, 12:12 PM
Haha, I wouldn't have picked Maiden anyway.

Natrlhi
05-27-2010, 12:34 PM
Haha, I wouldn't have picked Maiden anyway.BOLT THROWER OR CARCASS

evildeadjedi
05-27-2010, 12:34 PM

I can't wait! :rocker:

Maiden33
05-27-2010, 01:40 PM

Sweet, should get my own band some promotion. :D

Seriously, this area has NOTHING. Saying my band is the best band from this area is not an exaggeration or ego-masturbation. My area (about 45 minutes in any direction of me) is terrible for music.

mankvill
05-27-2010, 01:58 PM
All you bitches need to go listen to all my Kansas bands! :mad:

Natrlhi
05-27-2010, 02:03 PM
We have Chimaira. And Keelhaul. Better than nothing, I suppose. :shrug:

EDIT: I've heard Ringworm is pretty good.

ravenheart
05-27-2010, 02:07 PM
BOLT THROWER OR CARCASS

Neither are from London.

Natrlhi
05-27-2010, 02:18 PM
Neither are from London.

CLOSE ENOUGH!

JuuKun
05-27-2010, 02:53 PM
We have Vital Remains.

I, Destroyer are also kickass. Venom/Motorhead-ish.

mastodon421
05-27-2010, 02:58 PM
Unearth,Converge,The Red Chord,Revocation,Rob Zombie,Godsmack,On Broken Wings, Cave In and Powerglove are all from the genreal area of MA that I am from.

Also out in Westren MA we got Killswitch Engage,Shadows Fall,All That Remains,and The Acacia Strain. Also little fun fact Isis formed here.

edit:Forgot about Bane. One of the finest hardcore bands around.

mastodon421
05-27-2010, 02:58 PM
We have Vital Remains.

I, Destroyer are also kickass. Venom/Motorhead-ish.

You also have Howl who is awesome.

JuuKun
05-27-2010, 03:00 PM
Never listened to Howl, but they're opening for Pentagram next month, so I'll get around to it eventually.

mankvill
05-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Hardly "local" bands.

JuuKun
05-27-2010, 03:11 PM
http://www.myspace.com/idestroyer

Natrlhi
Hardly "local" bands.

It's not about "local" bands per se - it's about awesome bands from where you live, regardless of how big they are. Time to brag! (Coalesce, Origin)

makethemsuffer12
As far as I'm aware, members of Dream Theater and Suffocation are from Long Island. Oh, and Chuck Schuldiner was born here :D

Maiden33
05-27-2010, 03:15 PM
As far as I'm aware, members of Dream Theater and Suffocation are from Long Island. Oh, and Chuck Schuldiner was born here :D

Yeah, King's Park to be specific. I think Petrucci and Myung graduated from King's Park High School. Don't quote me on that. Portnoy and Myung both live about 25 minutes from me though. :lol:

mastodon421
05-27-2010, 03:18 PM
When it comes to bands that are strictly local and haven't hit the big time yet Acaro and Scalpel are both great.

ravenheart
05-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Venom/Motorhead-ish.

Lol. Both English. Don't even try it. :lol:

JuuKun
05-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Lol. Both English. Don't even try it. :lol:

I was describing I, Destroyer, actually, not trying to claim them as local bands :lol:

makethemsuffer12
05-27-2010, 03:23 PM
Oh, Steve Vai and Joe Satriani both came from Carle Place on LI.

ravenheart
05-27-2010, 03:24 PM
I was describing I, Destroyer, actually, not trying to claim them as local bands :lol:

:lol: OK, forgiven ;)

daimonos
05-27-2010, 04:13 PM
uhh lets see...Christina Agulera grew up about 15 min from where I live...

The only metal band I can think of from Pittsburgh though would be Icarus Witch.

Plus we have Nick Catanese from Black Label Society and Jon Rice from Job For a Cowboy. (no, I'm not a JFAC fan, in case your wondering..)

Maiden33
05-27-2010, 04:25 PM
The only metal band I can think of from Pittsburgh though would be Icarus Witch.

:rocker: :rocker:

larvtard
05-27-2010, 04:28 PM
Mastodon :D

Maiden33
05-27-2010, 04:35 PM
Mastodon :D

http://nightmaremetalfest.com/MetalFestII/images/stories/Logos/Theocracy_Logo.png

IrritatedTrout
05-27-2010, 04:41 PM
Virginia has Lamb of God.:eyes:

idrinkwine732
05-27-2010, 04:45 PM
Barren Earth - Curse of the Red River

Watch for this, top 5 material for sure.

Crionics
05-27-2010, 04:46 PM
Virginia has Lamb of God.:eyes:

:eyes:

But we also have Municipal Waste!!!!!! FUCK YEAAAAAAA oh and PENTAGRAM and Richmond has a great local metal scene

daimonos
05-27-2010, 04:47 PM

I've been wanting to get that, but it hasn't been on sale near me yet.

idrinkwine732
05-27-2010, 04:49 PM
Metallica (heavily debated, but they call SF their home)
Testament
Vio-Lence
Exodus
Heathen
Death Angel
Possessed
Slough Feg
Autopsy

I like to think we come pretty damn close to the top when it comes to metal.

I've been wanting to get that, but it hasn't been on sale near me yet.

I have a goal for you in the next few days. Guess what it is.

In all seriousness this is some awesome material. Some of the riffs have been stuck in my head for weeks.

DethMaiden
05-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Hardly "local" bands.

It's not about "local" bands per se - it's about awesome bands from where you live, regardless of how big they are. Time to brag! (Coalesce, Origin)

Natty nails it.

Could be a cool CD if we made it. :lol:

DethMaiden
05-27-2010, 06:00 PM

So it's not just Swallow the Sun/Katatonia/Insomnium/Opeth worship with a different band name? I heard one song and I kinda felt like what they were doing has already been done to death.

Wizzbang11
05-27-2010, 07:49 PM
:eyes:

But we also have Municipal Waste!!!!!! FUCK YEAAAAAAA oh and PENTAGRAM and Richmond has a great local metal scene

AND GWAAAAAR.

idrinkwine732
05-27-2010, 08:20 PM
So it's not just Swallow the Sun/Katatonia/Insomnium/Opeth worship with a different band name? I heard one song and I kinda felt like what they were doing has already been done to death.

It certainly has an Insomnium feel to it, but it isn't rehashed. It felt very fresh. Perhaps it's enhanced by my recent Insomnium relapse, but I think it's fantastic. It's worth your time, believe me.

Natrlhi
05-28-2010, 07:37 AM
Metallica (heavily debated, but they call SF their home)
Testament
Vio-Lence
Exodus
Heathen
Death Angel
Possessed
Slough Feg
AutopsyAhem. You forgot to finish your list. AHEM.

idrinkwine732
05-28-2010, 10:01 PM
Ahem. You forgot to finish your list. AHEM.

Those are just the biggest...

I only included Slough Feg because I was listening to them at the time. If I were to go into detail, jeez, that would be quite the list.

daimonos
05-30-2010, 10:24 AM
Got "The Extra Dimensional Wound" by Lightning Swords of Death the other day, very good album.

A friend of mine put the new Brain Drill on my computer, and it was good, but I just thought it was obnoxiously technical.

idrinkwine732
05-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Brain Drill makes me angry. Not in a THIS IS SO BAD ASS I WANT TO BREAK THINGS angry, a THIS SHIT IS SO TECHNICAL BUT IS IT REALLY MUSIC? NOT REALLY angry.

daimonos
05-30-2010, 10:48 AM
Brain Drill makes me angry. Not in a THIS IS SO BAD ASS I WANT TO BREAK THINGS angry, a THIS SHIT IS SO TECHNICAL BUT IS IT REALLY MUSIC? NOT REALLY angry.

yeah I agree with you on that. I kinda liked it and it was definitely good. But it's just not something I'd listen to very much. I get why people like it though.

SomewhereInTime72
05-30-2010, 04:12 PM
THIS SHIT IS SO TECHNICAL BUT IS IT REALLY MUSIC? NOT REALLY

wat

idrinkwine732
05-30-2010, 04:14 PM
there's a point where over technicality just isn't really music. I think Brain Drill like to play hopscotch with that line.

daimonos
05-30-2010, 04:16 PM
there's a point where over technicality just isn't really music. I think Brain Drill like to play hopscotch with that line.

Well, to be fair it's still music. But it does annoy the fuck outta me.

MPF
05-30-2010, 04:21 PM
I kinda dig the new Brian Drill, but not something I'll be putting on a lot from this point forward.

DethMaiden
05-30-2010, 04:24 PM
I liked the two songs I heard from the new Brain Drill, but I also realized it's something I couldn't sit through for the duration of a CD without blowing my brains out.

Hell, I can't even listen to Obscura, and I know a lot of folks on here love them.

daimonos
05-30-2010, 04:28 PM
I liked the two songs I heard from the new Brain Drill, but I also realized it's something I couldn't sit through for the duration of a CD without blowing my brains out.

Hell, I can't even listen to Obscura, and I know a lot of folks on here love them.

I do like Obscura, but there's a big difference in the "overtechnicality levels". I think Obscura is around or on the same level of The Sound of Perseverance-era Death, and it's not annoying to me.

But it doesn't suprise me that it would be too much for some people

DethMaiden
05-30-2010, 04:30 PM
I do like Obscura, but there's a big difference in the "overtechnicality levels". I think Obscura is around or on the same level of The Sound of Perseverance-era Death, and it's not annoying to me.

But it doesn't suprise me that it would be too much for some people

The Sound of Perseverance is pretty much the upper limit of how technical I can handle my technical death metal, and I do love it. It's just kinda funny how when that album came out, it was as technical as death metal got, and the other points of reference were the three Atheist albums and Cynic's Focus. Now it seems like every other band is trying to one-up Necrophagist, and it's just not really my thing.

daimonos
05-30-2010, 04:35 PM
Now it seems like every other band is trying to one-up Necrophagist, and it's just not really my thing.

Yeah I agree with you on that.

idrinkwine732
05-30-2010, 04:39 PM

http://www.nataliedee.com/102605/i-said-what.jpg

DethMaiden
05-30-2010, 04:44 PM
http://www.nataliedee.com/102605/i-said-what.jpg

*shrugs* sorry bro, tried to like it, don't

Natrlhi
05-30-2010, 08:54 PM
A friend of mine put the new Brain Drill on my computer, and it was good, but I just thought it was obnoxiously technical.

I kinda dig the new Brian Drill, but not something I'll be putting on a lot from this point forward.

Here's yet another opinion. (http://www.jukeboxmetal.com/2010/brain-drill-quantum-catastrophe/)

Didn't love it / didn't hate it. Their previous album fits Wine's description perfectly. The new one is slightly more entertaining. There are some damn good riffs on there, actually - but you have to have a little bit of patience to listen to the album and seek them out. Then, it's a matter of focusing on the songs you really like. A truly awesome album won't require all this effort, but like I said, there's some surprisingly good stuff there if you search it out. :fist:

idrinkwine732
05-30-2010, 10:23 PM
1. Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones
2. Barren Earth - Curse of the Red River
3. The Ocean - Heliocentric
4. Heathen - Evolution of Chaos
5. Martriden - Encounter the Monolith
6. Alcest - Écailles De Lune
7. God is an Astronaut - Age of the Fifth Sun
8. Ihsahn - After
9. Landmine Marathon - Sovereign Descent
10. High on Fire - Snakes for the Divine
11. Finntroll - Nifelvind
12. Overkill - Ironbound
13. Arsis - Starve for the Devil
14. Darkthrone - Circle the Wagons
15. Orphaned Land - The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR
16. Unleashed - As Yggdrasil Trembles
17. Exodus - Exhibit B: The Human Condition
18. Dark Tranquillity - We Are the Void

This is what I've got so far. I wonder if I should do one of them list thread thingies. I've got a best live band and a worst album list too...

DethMaiden
05-30-2010, 11:04 PM
I've got my first top 10 list that I'm satisfied with of the year! Took me hearing 31 things to have 10 things I actually liked enough to mention, and a few of these are definitely not gonna be around once some more stuff comes out, but still. Here 'tis:

1. Alcest - Écailles de Lune
2. Ludicra - The Tenant
3. Howl - Full of Hell
4. Lightning Swords of Death - The Extra Dimensional Wound
5. Nevermore - The Obsidian Conspiracy
6. Lair of the Minotaur - Evil Power
7. Johnny Cash - American VI: Ain't No Grave
8. Overkill - Ironbound
9. Coffinworm - When All Became None
10. Landmine Marathon - Sovereign Descent

EDIT: Way to go, Brad. Three top ten albums from bands you skipped at Scion Rock Fest. Yeesh.

idrinkwine732
05-30-2010, 11:18 PM
I just realized I don't even have Evil Power on mine...FOR SHAME

jhdeity
05-30-2010, 11:39 PM
I don't get all the love for Alcest. It's ok. Different... Maybe I've been listening to too much Anthrax but my biggest issue with Alcest is how "muddy" the drums are. They seem like such an afterthought in the mix to me.

It's ok as background music but I could never picture myself listening to this in my car or running out to see them live. Will be curious to see if people are still into it by years end.

daimonos
05-31-2010, 07:59 AM
I don't get all the love for Alcest. It's ok. Different... Maybe I've been listening to too much Anthrax but my biggest issue with Alcest is how "muddy" the drums are. They seem like such an afterthought in the mix to me.

It's ok as background music but I could never picture myself listening to this in my car or running out to see them live. Will be curious to see if people are still into it by years end.

Well that's black metal for ya. Some people are into some of it, and others are into different variations of it. Alcest definitely has the black metal there, but there are alot of other influences there, such as shoegaze. It's not for everyone.

jhdeity
05-31-2010, 10:40 AM
Well that's black metal for ya. Some people are into some of it, and others are into different variations of it. Alcest definitely has the black metal there, but there are alot of other influences there, such as shoegaze. It's not for everyone.

Yeah I listen to all different types of music and when I get turned onto a band like Ihsahn that totally blows me away I tend to spend a few weeks getting into that type of music. I can't imagine people like Alcest over Ihsahn but to each his own I guess. I'm not a production snob by any means but Alcest's drums sound like they were recorded in a closet.

So far 2010 had blown away 2009 in the "commercial" metal department for me. Other than Ihsahn the other metal genres haven't been represented as well though. I doubt we'll get a gem like Cobalt - Gin this year but I'll take a great year from the more popular bands. Plus Triptykon, Arsis, High on Fire, The Ocean and White Wizzard have represented their categories rather well IMO.

daimonos
05-31-2010, 10:53 AM
Yeah I listen to all different types of music and when I get turned onto a band like Ihsahn that totally blows me away I tend to spend a few weeks getting into that type of music. I can't imagine people like Alcest over Ihsahn but to each his own I guess. I'm not a production snob by any means but Alcest's drums sound like they were recorded in a closet.

So far 2010 had blown away 2009 in the "commercial" metal department for me. Other than Ihsahn the other metal genres haven't been represented as well though. I doubt we'll get a gem like Cobalt - Gin this year but I'll take a great year from the more popular bands. Plus Triptykon, Arsis, High on Fire, The Ocean and White Wizzard have represented their categories rather well IMO.

I haven't heard all of the Alcest yet...but I doubt I will find it to be better than the new Ihsahn. ;)

JLRedWing13
05-31-2010, 11:22 AM
1. The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR - Orphaned Land
2. Nifelvind - Finntroll
3. The Frozen Tears of Angels - Rhapsody of Fire
4. Encounter The Monolith - Martriden
5. Curse of the Red River - Barren Earth
6. Stone Temple Pilots - Stone Temple Pilots
7. The Evolution of Chaos - Heathen
8. Exhibit B: The Human Condition - Exodus
9. Bloodrust Scythe - Hellish Crossfire
10. Diamond Eyes - Deftones
11. Snakes For The Divine - High On Fire
12. Slash - Slash
13. Ironbound - Overkill
14. Mechanize - Fear Factory
15. The Oracle - Godsmack

Order probably isn't going to be the same by the end of the year, but yeah, I'm still waiting on a lot of stuff.

Akumu
05-31-2010, 11:57 AM
1. Pain of Salvation - Road Salt One
2. Orphaned Land - The Never-Ending Way of ORwarriOR
3. Haken - Aquarius
4. Avantasia - Angel of Babylon
5. Finntroll - Nifelvind
6. Barren Earth - Curse of the Red River
7. Wuthering Heights - Salt
8. Myrath - Desert Call
9. Dark Tranquillity - We Are the Void
10. Eluveitie - Everything Remains (As If It Never Was)

Expecting 1-6 to remain in my top 10 somewhere, but I'm still waiting on a ton of stuff, too.

Maiden33
05-31-2010, 12:04 PM
1. Pain of Salvation - Road Salt One
2. Orphaned Land - The Never-Ending Way of ORwarriOR
3. Haken - Aquarius
4. Avantasia - Angel of Babylon
5. Finntroll - Nifelvind
6. Barren Earth - Curse of the Red River
7. Wuthering Heights - Salt
8. Myrath - Desert Call
10. Eluveitie - Everything Remains (As If It Never Was)

Expecting 1-6 to remain in my top 10 somewhere, but I'm still waiting on a ton of stuff, too.

Wuthering Heights and Myrath = both GREAT albums. That Haken is really good too though it's not quite my "thing". Kinda suprised to see Angel of Babylon instead of The Wicked Symphony though.

ravenheart
05-31-2010, 12:13 PM
8. Myrath - Desert Call

:horns:

Akumu
05-31-2010, 01:15 PM
Wuthering Heights and Myrath = both GREAT albums. That Haken is really good too though it's not quite my "thing". Kinda suprised to see Angel of Babylon instead of The Wicked Symphony though.

I had high expectations for TWS after hearing the title track (which is still fantastic!), but there's a few tracks on it that just aren't clicking with me - I don't know if I'm just drifting away from that style of power metal, but it's the only album I've heard this year with songs I actually dislike, heh. I need to spend some more time with the WH and Myrath in general, but "Lost at Sea" is EPIC.

mastodon421
05-31-2010, 01:17 PM
Updated Top 10
1.The Dillinger Escape Plan-Option Parlaysis
2.As I Lay Dying-The Powerless Rise
4.Overkill-Ironbound
7.Annotations Of An Autopsy-II:The Reign Of Darkness
8.Coheed and Cambria-Year Of The Black Rainbow
9.Howl-Full Of Hell
10.Veil Of Maya-(id)

Maiden33
05-31-2010, 01:19 PM
I had high expectations for TWS after hearing the title track (which is still fantastic!), but there's a few tracks on it that just aren't clicking with me - I don't know if I'm just drifting away from that style of power metal, but it's the only album I've heard this year with songs I actually dislike, heh. I need to spend some more time with the WH and Myrath in general, but "Lost at Sea" is EPIC.

I don't know - aside from "Crestfallen" and "Black Wings" I don't really see what's not to like. Maybe "The Edge" too, though I like that one. I actually think "The Wicked Symphony" is the best album of the whole trilogy, a notch about The Scarecrow, which is a notch about Angel of Babylon. Angel just didn't sit as well with me because there are as many as four or five tracks that aren't anything spectacular. Only "Stargazers", "Journey to Arcadia", "Promised land", "Death is Just a Feeling", the title track, and maybe "Rat Race" really "did it" for me.

MPF
05-31-2010, 01:24 PM

I'm glad you dig Ihsahn, but when it comes to Alcest, did you only check out the new album? If you only checked out Écailles de Lune, please check out their masterpiece, Souvenirs d'un autre monde. It will make you think differently about Alcest.

idrinkwine732
05-31-2010, 01:31 PM
I haven't heard all of the Alcest yet...but I doubt I will find it to be better than the new Ihsahn. ;)

I like Alcest more because I'm also a Prog/Post-Rock nerd. Ihsahn has slipped over time if you ask me, it just didn't seem as good on the tenth listen.

jhdeity
05-31-2010, 06:31 PM
I'm glad you dig Ihsahn, but when it comes to Alcest, did you only check out the new album? If you only checked out Écailles de Lune, please check out their masterpiece, Souvenirs d'un autre monde. It will make you think differently about Alcest.

Cool, I'll check it out.

MPF
05-31-2010, 06:37 PM
Cool, I'll check it out.

Good to hear man. There is almost 0% Black Metal influence on it, except for some drum beats. Zero Screams/Growls, all clean vocals. The rest is beautiful but Metal in a Post Rock way. The Title track almost brought a tear to my eye the first time I heard it.

DethMaiden
05-31-2010, 06:39 PM
Good to hear man. There is almost 0% Black Metal influence on it, except for some drum beats. Zero Screams/Growls, all clean vocals. The rest is beautiful but Metal in a Post Rock way. The Title track almost brought a tear to my eye the first time I heard it.

The drumming is black metal as shit, and so are the electric riffs. I think the shoegaze atmosphere and the clean vocals scare people away from calling it a black metal album, but I still think it is one.

And yeah, Souvenirs and Écailles are neck and neck for me, can't pick a favorite. Both are masterpieces.

ravenheart
05-31-2010, 06:39 PM
I can't say it's an album I'll listen to a lot, but the new Enemy of The Sun album, 'Caedium', is unbelievable. So many ideas and sounds one after the other. The most engaging album of the year so far, without question.

Not one for melo-fans, but everyone else should give it a try.

MPF
05-31-2010, 06:46 PM
The drumming is black metal as shit, and so are the electric riffs. I think the shoegaze atmosphere and the clean vocals scare people away from calling it a black metal album, but I still think it is one.

And yeah, Souvenirs and Écailles are neck and neck for me, can't pick a favorite. Both are masterpieces.

As a drummer, I only hear the "16th note" snare beats as the only Black Metal beats on the album. I call them that because they don't feel like Blast Beats to me. On Écailles however, those are blast beats when they are played. And the Electric Riffs, well they are kinda Black Metal-ish but then again you can say that about any style of music that has Tremolo picking in it is either Black Metal or Post Rock/Metal.

But I digress...

I love both albums, Écailles I now will be in the top 3 favorite albums of the year, but Souvenirs will always be near and dear to me. One of my favorite albums of all time.

DethMaiden
05-31-2010, 06:47 PM
As a drummer, I only hear the "16th note" snare beats as the only Black Metal beats on the album. I call them that because they don't feel like Blast Beats to me. On Écailles however, those are blast beats when they are played. And the Electric Riffs, well they are kinda Black Metal-ish but then again you can say that about any style of music that has Tremolo picking in it is either Black Metal or Post Rock/Metal.

But I digress.

I love both albums, Écailles I now will be in the top 3 favorite albums of the year, but Souvenirs will always be near and dear to me. One of my favorite albums of all time.

Well, if you listen to something like Filosofem from Burzum, you'll probably hear what I mean when I say that Souvenirs is just very prettied-up black metal. ;)

But who cares what you call it, at the end of the day it's a fucking masterpiece, and I'd probably concur that it's all time favorite. Those tracks were sooooo good at Reggie's last month. :horns:

MPF
05-31-2010, 06:52 PM
Well, if you listen to something like Filosofem from Burzum, you'll probably hear what I mean when I say that Souvenirs is just very prettied-up black metal. ;)

But who cares what you call it, at the end of the day it's a fucking masterpiece, and I'd probably concur that it's all time favorite. Those tracks were sooooo good at Reggie's last month. :horns:

Honestly I can't get into Burzum. I know it makes me less Metal, but I just can't get passed the production to ever get into his music. But I do trust you on that.

I still hate myself for missing that show. I know I'm too far away, but I should have done what it takes to be at that show.

But on the plus side, when the last Alcest show got canceled in NJ, Neige did promise they would be back to the states. Maybe they'll be able to get a MN show.

jhdeity
06-04-2010, 02:18 AM
[QUOTE=JLRedWing13;277792]
9. Bloodrust Scythe - Hellish Crossfire[QUOTE]

Immediately goes into my Top 10!

MPF
06-05-2010, 03:38 PM
[QUOTE=JLRedWing13;277792]
9. Bloodrust Scythe - Hellish Crossfire[QUOTE]

Immediately goes into my Top 10!

Listening to this now. It is fucking amazing. I haven't heard these guys before they are definitely kicking my ass right now. It's like if Chuck Schuldiner created a Thrash band.

andrew_metalhead
06-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Among what I've gotten time to listen to, these are my albums of the year so far:

1. Overkill - Ironbound
2. Exodus - Exhibit B: The Human Condition
3. The Scorpions - Sting In The Tail
4. Dark Tranquillity - We Are The Void
5. Immolation - Majesty And Decay
6. Fear Factory - Mechanize
7. White Wizzard - Over The Top
8. Gamma Ray - To The Metal
9. Slash - Slash
10.Eluveitie - Everything Remains As It Never Was

I need to check out some other stuff though, as and when I get time. The new Soilwork isn't bad at all.

evildeadjedi
06-05-2010, 04:09 PM
[QUOTE=jhdeity;278681][QUOTE=JLRedWing13;277792]

Listening to this now. It is fucking amazing. I haven't heard these guys before they are definitely kicking my ass right now. It's like if Chuck Schuldiner created a Thrash band.

:) Wow I must check this out! :horns:

MPF
06-05-2010, 05:27 PM
[QUOTE=MPF;279006][QUOTE=jhdeity;278681]

:) Wow I must check this out! :horns:

It is definitely worth a listen. I wasn't sure what to expect from these guys but they are mindblowing. Thrash, death and Black Metal mixed into one. Like I mentioned it is like Death putting out a Thrash album.

hb420
06-05-2010, 11:42 PM
Twilight - Monument To Time End
Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones
Nachtmystium - Addicts: Black Meddle, Pt. II
Arsis - Starve For The Devil
Fear Factory - Mechanize
Witchaven - Terrorstorm
Exodus - Exhibit B
Dillinger Escape Plan - Option Paralysis
Sigh - Scenes From Hell
Watain - Lawless Darkness

treghet
06-06-2010, 12:34 AM
I haven't been keeping track of my favorites very well so far this year, so this is what I can think of right now.

Finntroll - Nifelvind
Hour of Penance - Paradogma
Immolation - Majesty and Decay
Misery Index - Heirs to Thievery
Aeon - Path of Fire
Unleashed - As Yggdrasil Trembles
Defeated Sanity - Chapters of Repugnance

jhdeity
06-06-2010, 08:41 AM
[QUOTE=evildeadjedi;279018][QUOTE=MPF;279006]

It is definitely worth a listen. I wasn't sure what to expect from these guys but they are mindblowing. Thrash, death and Black Metal mixed into one. Like I mentioned it is like Death putting out a Thrash album.

Well said. They go on the list of bands I must see live too. I would have a sore neck for days after seeing them. Kinda reminds me of a band called Anvil Bitch from way back in the day.

I'm trying to find their 1st cd Slaves of the Burning Pentagram now. Only available as a German import though.

xStructualDefect
06-07-2010, 02:07 PM
just listened to Whitechapel's new album. i'm really digging it.

also listened to Eluveitie's new album, ehh didn't like it too much. i liked Slania alot but there were only a few songs that stuck out on this album.

also for any Finntroll fans, has anyone heard the new album. i heard the single and wasn't too impressed. but i'll still check out the album.

Natrlhi
06-07-2010, 02:46 PM

Listening to this now. It is fucking amazing. I haven't heard these guys before they are definitely kicking my ass right now. It's like if Chuck Schuldiner created a Thrash band.In other words, it's like early Kreator. Which is a good thing. ;)

idrinkwine732
06-07-2010, 04:02 PM
also for any Finntroll fans, has anyone heard the new album. i heard the single and wasn't too impressed. but i'll still check out the album.

I loved it.

treghet
06-07-2010, 04:36 PM

I was actually pretty impressed. It's not their best, but it was well worth purchasing.

MPF
06-07-2010, 06:11 PM
[QUOTE=MPF;279006]In other words, it's like early Kreator. Which is a good thing. ;)

That is another way to put it, a very good way.

xStructualDefect
06-07-2010, 09:32 PM
i checked out the new Finntroll album today. i'm digging it, it's a fun album. more listens and i'll grow to enjoy it more. kind of regret skipping them live this year, but not so much since i've seen them 2x already.

xStructualDefect
06-10-2010, 02:13 AM
listened to the new Mnemic album. ehh, no songs really stood out to me besides the first 3 tracks. the dude's got a really good clean voice, he should use it more often. their clean vocal choruses are what make a lot of their songs in my opinion.

mankvill
06-10-2010, 10:28 AM
Year is basically half over, here's my top 10:

1. Burzum - Belus
2. Nokturnal Mortum - The Voice Of Steel
3. Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones
4. Lair Of The Minotaur - Evil Power
5. High On Fire - Snakes For The Divine
6. Overkill - Ironbound
7. Dark Funeral - Angelus Exuro Pro Eternus
8. 1349 - Demonoir
9. Rotting Christ - Aealo
10. Immolation - Majesty and Decay

Crionics
06-10-2010, 12:27 PM
My top 5 this year so far.

1. Triptykon- Eparistera Daimones
2. Overkill- Ironbound
3. Immolation- Majesty and Decay
4. Burzum- Belus
5. White Wizzard- Over The Top

Natrlhi
06-10-2010, 02:06 PM
Year is basically half over, here's my top 10:

1. Burzum - Belus
4. Lair Of The Minotaur - Evil Power
5. High On Fire - Snakes For The Divine
6. Overkill - Ironbound
7. Dark Funeral - Angelus Exuro Pro Eternus
8. 1349 - Demonoir
9. Rotting Christ - Aealo
10. Immolation - Majesty and Decay

My top 5 this year so far.

1. Triptykon- Eparistera Daimones
2. Overkill- Ironbound
3. Immolation- Majesty and Decay
4. Burzum- Belus
5. White Wizzard- Over The Top

I guess I'ma have to listen to that Burzum after all, ain't it? It better not be boring, or I'm holding you two in contempt. ;)

...and @ Manks: LotM is three slots too low. :cool:

EDIT: I did like Triptykon a ton, though. Immolation was pretty good, but it didn't exactly blow me away.

daimonos
06-10-2010, 02:51 PM
My Current Top 10:
1. Ihsahn - After
2. Triptykon - Eparistera Daimones
3. Nachtmystium - Addicts: Black Meddle Part II
4. High on Fire - Snakes for the Divine
5. Orphaned Land - The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR
6. Alcest - Ecailles De Lune
7. Lightning Swords of Death - The Extra Dimensional Wound
8. 1349 - Demonoir
9. Darkthrone - Circle the Wagons
10. Dark Tranquillity - We Are the Void

I have really been enjoying Nachtmystium the last couple days. I would recommend anyone who liked Assassins to check it out. I would say it's better.

I still have to get around to picking up:
Dark Fortress, Abscess, Immolation, Hour of Penance, Barren Earth, Cathedral, Twilight, Burzum, Misery Index, and Watain.

idrinkwine732
06-10-2010, 05:49 PM

09 bro...

JLRedWing13
06-10-2010, 06:13 PM
Glad to see the Hellish Crossfire album was appreciated by more than just me. :cool:

idrinkwine732
06-10-2010, 06:19 PM
I think it's pretty good.

JLRedWing13
06-10-2010, 06:22 PM
I think it's pretty good.:party:

jhdeity
06-11-2010, 08:07 PM
I guess I'ma have to listen to that Burzum after all, ain't it? It better not be boring, or I'm holding you two in contempt. ;)

...and @ Manks: LotM is three slots too low. :cool:

EDIT: I did like Triptykon a ton, though. Immolation was pretty good, but it didn't exactly blow me away.

I'll be curious what you think....

mankvill
06-11-2010, 08:28 PM
09 bro...

US release this year though

idrinkwine732
06-11-2010, 09:32 PM
US release this year though

Does this mean we're counting it as this year?

I might have to switch up my list a bit then...

daimonos
06-11-2010, 09:35 PM

I thought it came out like December 26th or something ;)

mankvill
06-11-2010, 09:36 PM

yeah. that's why I'm including the new Dark Funeral too.

@Daimonos: Not in the US god damnit!

MPF
06-11-2010, 09:54 PM
Most likely not set in stone for the order, but I know this is my top 10 of 2010 so far:

1.) Ihsahn- After
2.) Mutiny Within S/T
3.) Alcest- Ecailles De Lune
4.) Nevermore- The Obsidian Conspiracy
5.) Periphery- S/T
6.) Dillinger Escape Plan- Option Paralysis
7.) Overkill- Ironbound
8.) Triptykon- Eparistera Daimones
9.) Shining- Blackjazz
10.) Arsis- Starve For The Devil

jhdeity
06-11-2010, 10:10 PM
Most likely not set in stone for the order, but I know this is my top 10 of 2010 so far:

1.) Ihsahn- After
2.) Mutiny Within S/T
3.) Alcest- Ecailles De Lune
4.) Nevermore- The Obsidian Conspiracy
5.) Periphery- S/T
6.) Dillinger Escape Plan- Option Paralysis
7.) Overkill- Ironbound
8.) Triptykon- Eparistera Daimones
9.) Shining- Blackjazz
10.) Arsis- Starve For The Devil

I hung out with those guys at their cd release party. Thought they were just a local band. Nice to see them getting some recognition. Cool dudes

MPF
06-11-2010, 10:25 PM
I hung out with those guys at their cd release party. Thought they were just a local band. Nice to see them getting some recognition. Cool dudes

That's awesome. It's great to hear they are cool dudes as well. I know their guitarist used to be a roadie for Dream Theater, so that sparked my in them right away and discovered how great they are. like a more accessible Dillinger Escape Plan.

jhdeity
06-12-2010, 07:29 AM
That's awesome. It's great to hear they are cool dudes as well. I know their guitarist used to be a roadie for Dream Theater, so that sparked my in them right away and discovered how great they are. like a more accessible Dillinger Escape Plan.

Yeah they were really impressive live. Tight as balls. One of the Angel's Rock Bar girls gave me a cd but I never opened it. Will have to give it a listen now.

Since they were local and I had never heard of them I figured they were just new and trying to make name for themselves. I kinda thought Dillinger meets Mudvayne so your description is right on.

MPF
06-13-2010, 12:21 AM
Yeah they were really impressive live. Tight as balls. One of the Angel's Rock Bar girls gave me a cd but I never opened it. Will have to give it a listen now.

Since they were local and I had never heard of them I figured they were just new and trying to make name for themselves. I kinda thought Dillinger meets Mudvayne so your description is right on.

It really sucks they are apart of that so called "Thrash and Burn" tour. IMO they are the only band worth checking out on the whole lineup. I hope they will be able to get on a better tour this Fall or Winter so I can see them kickass live.

Some might find the clean vocals on the album "gay" but to me they fit perfectly and I always dig some kickass melodic vocals when I hear them. I hope these guys make it far!

Akumu
06-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Potential top 5 material:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a137/volumeslave/AncientBards-TheAllianceOfTheKingsb.jpg

Italian symphonic power metal with a female vocalist who doesn't try to be operatic. It's cheesy as hell, but it's fun and ridiculously well-done.

JuuKun
06-13-2010, 05:45 PM
Been listening to the new Tarot and ReVamp albums a lot in the last week. They've been growing on me. Both definitely top 5 material. Between those two, Ihsahn, and Orphaned Land, I have a solid 4 fighting it out for #1. So many albums I still want to check out, though. Last year was good, don't get me wrong - but it's June and I already have four albums which are all conceivable choices for Album of the Year. 2010 kicks 2009's ass.

DethMaiden
06-13-2010, 06:14 PM
2010 kicks 2009's ass.

Absolutely fucking not for me. Still struggling to even be enthusiastic about ten things I've heard this year, whereas last year I could have given you a top 20 of albums that I was in love with.

Natrlhi
06-13-2010, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I disagree as well, although not as vehemently and not for the exact same reasons as Brad.

2010 simply has some major catching up to do if it's going to be as great as last year was.

MPF
06-13-2010, 08:11 PM
To me it's even. There might be more 2009 albums I like, but the albums I like in 2010 out weight any mediocrity that has happened this year.

daimonos
06-13-2010, 09:14 PM
Just by hearing alot of things that are going to be released this year, it is possible that this year will be better. But we won't know until the end of the year, will we?

Maiden33
06-13-2010, 09:43 PM
My current top 20: (Still needs fine-tuning and re-listening)

01.Avantasia - The Wicked Symphony
02.Silent Call - Greed
03.Vanden Plas - The Seraphic Clockwork
04.Dreyelands - Rooms of Revelation
05.Wuthering Heights - Salt
06.Sinbreed - When Worlds Collide
07.Avantasia - Angel of Babylon
08.White Wizzard - Over the Top
09.Royal Hunt - X
10.Masterplan - Time to Be King
11.Tarot - Gravity of light
12.Jon Oliva's Pain - Festival
13.Armored Saint - La Raza
14.Black Majesty - In Your Honour
15.Myrath - Desert Call
16.Excalion - High Time
17.Y&T - Facemelter
18.Section A - Sacrifice
19.Aspera - Ripples
20.Gamma Ray - To the Metal

Honorable mentions:
-Overkill - Ironbound
-Rage - Strings to a Web

Dishonorable mentions:
-Dream Evil - In the Night
-Audiovision - Focus
-Icarus Witch - Draw Down the Moon
-Axel Rudi Pell - The Crest

Things I'm most looking forward to for the remainder of the year (that's confirmed):
-Blind Guardian - At the Edge of Time (July 30th)
-Iron Maiden - The Final Frontier (August 16th)
-Allen/Lande - The Showdown (September)
-Labyrinth - Return to Heaven Denied II (June 21st)
-Voodoo Circle - Broken Heart Syndrome (September 24th)

And I'll throw a vote in for "2010 annihilating 2009". It's June 14th and it's already done that for me.

mastodon421
06-14-2010, 07:12 AM
I have to strongly disagree with 2010 being better than 09. There has been a lot of pretty good records this year unlike last year where there about 25-30 records that I was floored by. Granted it is only June but the coming months don't look that impressive.

JuuKun
06-14-2010, 08:35 AM
I have to strongly disagree with 2010 being better than 09. There has been a lot of pretty good records this year unlike last year where there about 25-30 records that I was floored by. Granted it is only June but the coming months don't look that impressive.

I have to stand by what I originally said. I was underwhelmed last year - my Top 10, while I liked every release, I can really only say I loved 6 or 7 of them, through the whole year. I've already got four releases that aren't just Top 10 material, they're Album of the Year contenders. Plus there's almost a dozen releases that I've heard great things about that I haven't checked out yet.

Crionics
06-14-2010, 09:38 AM
I need to get more of this year...

daimonos
06-14-2010, 11:07 AM
I have to stand by what I originally said. I was underwhelmed last year - my Top 10, while I liked every release, I can really only say I loved 6 or 7 of them, through the whole year. I've already got four releases that aren't just Top 10 material, they're Album of the Year contenders. Plus there's almost a dozen releases that I've heard great things about that I haven't checked out yet.

I'm with you on that.

Anyways, call me crazy but Nachtmystium has pushed it's way up to the #1 spot on my list right now, but it could easily be switched with Ihsahn or Triptykon.

So now my list looks like this:

1. Nachtmystium - Addicts: Black Meddle Part II
2. Ihsahn - After
4. High on Fire - Snakes For the Divine
5. Orphaned Land - The Never Ending Way of ORwarriOR
6. Lightning Swords of Death - The Extra Dimensional Wound
7. Alcest - Ecailles De Lune
8. 1349 - Demonoir
10. Darkthrone - Circle the Wagons
11. Overkill - Ironbound
12. Fear Factory - Mechanize
13. Bison B.C. - Dark Ages
14. Brain Drill - Quantum Catastrophe
15. Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe 2

jhdeity
06-14-2010, 04:33 PM
I just looked at my list from 2009 and while I think it was an incredible year I don't really listen to most of those cd's that often now.

Even Crack the Skye will get a listen then I move on to soemthing else. Cobalt, Kylesa and Baroness kept growing on me and I still love certain tracks off Wrath but I thought those cd's would have more staying power.

Sometimes it has to do with upcoming shows too. The more I listen to Mechanize the more I love it. I think people need to give it another listen. I think 3 of the best songs of 2010 are on that cd. Controlled Demolition, Christploitation & Powershifter are all incredible songs to me. Can't wait to hear them live. Mechanize and Final Exit are bad ass also.

It's passed Ironbound for me just because of the filler factor on Ironbound. Both are definite Top 10 for 2010 for me though.

JLRedWing13
06-14-2010, 05:29 PM
I thought neither Mechanize nor Ironbound were that great. Solid, sure, but definitely overrated.

Indestructible
06-14-2010, 05:44 PM
The more I listen to Mechanize the more I love it. I think people need to give it another listen. I think 3 of the best songs of 2010 are on that cd. Controlled Demolition, Christploitation & Powershifter are all incredible songs to me. Can't wait to hear them live. Mechanize and Final Exit are bad ass also.

It's passed Ironbound for me just because of the filler factor on Ironbound. Both are definite Top 10 for 2010 for me though.

Mechanize is amazing. It will probaly end up in my top 5 of the year. Ironbound is in my ipod but i havent listened to it yet. I havent listend to any overkill album.

idrinkwine732
06-14-2010, 06:39 PM
I thought neither Mechanize nor Ironbound were that great. Solid, sure, but definitely overrated.

I thought Mechanize was an absolute piece of shit. I've never liked Fear Factory, so that might have contributed a bit.

I thought Ironbound was awesome.

JLRedWing13
06-14-2010, 07:42 PM
I thought Ironbound was awesome.

Still overhyped....both Heathen and Exodus's albums kick the shit out of it....I'm not huge on Overkill either. It's good enough to be in my top 20 for now, but not top 10.

jhdeity
06-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Mechanize is amazing. It will probaly end up in my top 5 of the year. Ironbound is in my ipod but i havent listened to it yet. I havent listend to any overkill album.

Yeah I 1st heard Ironbound in 2009 and it blew me away. Best Overkill cd in a long time for me. Really long time. Just wish the last few songs were as good as the 1st few.

Mechanize is incredible though. I guess you have to like their style but we need more bands like Fear Factory and I'm glad they're back. There's no one like them and with so many bands sounding alike these days I couldn't be happier. It gets better with every listen to me

idrinkwine732
06-14-2010, 08:13 PM
Still overhyped....both Heathen and Exodus's albums kick the shit out of it....I'm not huge on Overkill either. It's good enough to be in my top 20 for now, but not top 10.

Heathen is much better, but Exodus still has to grow on me a bit.

mastodon421
06-15-2010, 05:38 AM
Mechanize is overated as hell imo. I mean it is not a bad record but I was really letdown by it. Ironbound on the other hand is fantastic. Easily the best thing they have done since Horrorscope.

On the other hand I am currently half way through my first listen of the new Exodus record. Its alright but really nothing special.

Crionics
06-15-2010, 05:39 AM

Exodus' new one bored me (other than a few of songs) to be honest, and their one of my top 15 bands.

Indestructible
06-15-2010, 07:28 AM
Yeah I 1st heard Ironbound in 2009 and it blew me away. Best Overkill cd in a long time for me. Really long time. Just wish the last few songs were as good as the 1st few.

Mechanize is incredible though. I guess you have to like their style but we need more bands like Fear Factory and I'm glad they're back. There's no one like them and with so many bands sounding alike these days I couldn't be happier. It gets better with every listen to me

I started listening to
Fear Factory in november of 09. Raymond and gene instantly became two of my favorite drummers. I just saw them live on saturday good set but i wish they would of played longer.they need to play songs from transgression.

daimonos
06-15-2010, 08:12 AM
I started listening to
Fear Factory in november of 09. Raymond and gene instantly became two of my favorite drummers. I just saw them live on saturday good set but i wish they would of played longer.they need to play songs from transgression.

Gene is one of my favorite drummers, but his work on the Fear Factory album is nothing compared to just about anything else he's ever done.

I was going to go see them tonight...Damn you Work!!!

jhdeity
06-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Mechanize is overated as hell imo. I mean it is not a bad record but I was really letdown by it. Ironbound on the other hand is fantastic. Easily the best thing they have done since Horrorscope.

On the other hand I am currently half way through my first listen of the new Exodus record. Its alright but really nothing special.

If you consider the last FF cd with Dino was Digimortal, you might see why this cd is so great. Digimortal had 2 songs that I really like Invisible Wounds and Acres of Skin. Linchpin was almost a rap/hybrid bullshit of a song that I could never get into.

Mechanize is brutal compared to Digimortal. It's blistering fast at times, melodic in cool parts and by far the heaviest cd they've done since Demanufacture. If people like Fear Factory and don't like this cd, that blows my mind. It took a few listens but as a hardcore FF fan this cd is a masterpiece to me. Even the last song Final Exit has parts that I thought would sound incredible live.

Once I see them live, I'll make the final judgement but like I said Fear Factory are back and they came back with a vengeance! Especially compared to Digimortal...

daimonos
06-15-2010, 10:30 AM
If you consider the last FF cd with Dino was Digimortal, you might see why this cd is so great. Digimortal had 2 songs that I really like Invisible Wounds and Acres of Skin. Linchpin was almost a rap/hybrid bullshit of a song that I could never get into.

Mechanize is brutal compared to Digimortal. It's blistering fast at times, melodic in cool parts and by far the heaviest cd they've done since Demanufacture. If people like Fear Factory and don't like this cd, that blows my mind. It took a few listens but as a hardcore FF fan this cd is a masterpiece to me. Even the last song Final Exit has parts that I thought would sound incredible live.

Once I see them live, I'll make the final judgement but like I said Fear Factory are back and they came back with a vengeance! Especially compared to Digimortal...

I think you might disagree with me but I thought Mechanize is better than Demanufacture. :eyes:

I'm not too big a fan of Fear Factory, though.

Indestructible
06-15-2010, 04:55 PM
Gene is one of my favorite drummers, but his work on the Fear Factory album is nothing compared to just about anything else he's ever done.

I was going to go see them tonight...Damn you Work!!!

Genes work with fear factory is the only thing ive heard him drum on.

MPF
06-15-2010, 05:26 PM
Genes work with fear factory is the only thing ive heard him drum on.

:eek:

Check out Strapping Young Lad, Dark Angel and Testament's Demonic and Death's Symbolic NOW!

*Gene has much more then what I listed, but those are some of his best albums.*

daimonos
06-15-2010, 08:17 PM
the best Gene album I've heard would be Individual Thought Patterns and Symbolic by Death, Strapping Young Lad's Alien, The New Black, and somewhat City. I think he was on Terria by Devin Townsend too? He also did a project called Mechanism with Val from Zimmers Hole that has some pretty interesting drumming (It's on his Dvd.)

But the guy is one of my favorite drummers.

MPF
06-15-2010, 11:33 PM
the best Gene album I've heard would be Individual Thought Patterns and Symbolic by Death, Strapping Young Lad's Alien, The New Black, and somewhat City. I think he was on Terria by Devin Townsend too? He also did a project called Mechanism with Val from Zimmers Hole that has some pretty interesting drumming (It's on his Dvd.)

But the guy is one of my favorite drummers.

Yes Gene Hoglan played on both Infinity, Physicist and Terria (my favorite album of all time) by Devin Townsend. Only Heavy As A Really Heavy Thing is the only SYL album Hoglan did not play on.

Gene is also a member of Simmers Hole and Mechanism

JLRedWing13
06-15-2010, 11:48 PM
the best Gene album I've heard would be Individual Thought Patterns and Symbolic by Death, Strapping Young Lad's Alien, The New Black, and somewhat City.

Darkness Descends by Dark Angel....

idrinkwine732
06-16-2010, 12:23 AM
:eek:

Check out Strapping Young Lad, Dark Angel and Testament's Demonic and Death's Symbolic NOW!

*Gene has much more then what I listed, but those are some of his best albums.*

Seriously, the guy's been in almost every band in the world by now, he has to have heard something. And if he hasn't heard Symbolic...:nonono:

:fist:

TonyD
06-16-2010, 12:36 AM
The New Black might have good drum work but it's probably the worst SYL album.

Indestructible
06-16-2010, 07:28 AM
Ill check out the other bands Gene Hoglan was in.

daimonos
06-16-2010, 08:05 AM
The New Black might have good drum work but it's probably the worst SYL album.

I didn't think it was as good at first but I've learned that it's different than the others in it's own unique way. It's way more experimental than all of the other ones, and more progressive. Some parts of it lean more towards his solo stuff. But yes, it does have some good drumming on it.

Personally though, I think that Heavy As a Really Heavy Thing is the worst SYL album. It has a couple good songs but the whole thing is pretty lacking I think.

jhdeity
06-16-2010, 08:15 PM

This... and Time Does Not Heal. It's funny Gene Hoglan has been my favorite drummer since I saw Dark Angel on the Time Does Not Heal Tour. I asked Ron Reinhardt (their new singer at the time) how he came up with such intelligent lyrics and he said Gene wrote most of them. My respect level for him went through the roof that night.

Incredible feet, insane arms and he can write intelligent, thought-provoking lyrics? One of the most imrpessive musicians to ever live...

And I can see how someone could like Mechanize over Demanufacture and I never thought I would say that. Demanufacture is one of my favorite albums of all time but the time it was made plays a large part in that. Mechanize is heavier and I'm still surprised it's getting bashed but I stand behind it 100%. It's a great album and I can't wait to see them live for the 1st time in many years.

daimonos
06-16-2010, 08:27 PM
This... and Time Does Not Heal. It's funny Gene Hoglan has been my favorite drummer since I saw Dark Angel on the Time Does Not Heal Tour. I asked Ron Reinhardt (their new singer at the time) how he came up with such intelligent lyrics and he said Gene wrote most of them. My respect level for him went through the roof that night.

Incredible feet, insane arms and he can write intelligent, thought-provoking lyrics? One of the most imrpessive musicians to ever live...

And I can see how someone could like Mechanize over Demanufacture and I never thought I would say that. Demanufacture is one of my favorite albums of all time but the time it was made plays a large part in that. Mechanize is heavier and I'm still surprised it's getting bashed but I stand behind it 100%. It's a great album and I can't wait to see them live for the 1st time in many years.

I'm new to Fear Factory. I have Mechanize, and I got Demanufacture. While understand why Demanufacture gets the praises it does, it just didn't really connect with me, and only a couple of songs stood out. The stuff I've heard from Obsolete didnt seem like something I would like either. I haven't heard the non-Dino stuff. Soul of a New Machine does seem like something I would like though, I'll check that out one of these days.

jhdeity
06-16-2010, 08:49 PM
I'm new to Fear Factory. I have Mechanize, and I got Demanufacture. While understand why Demanufacture gets the praises it does, it just didn't really connect with me, and only a couple of songs stood out. The stuff I've heard from Obsolete didnt seem like something I would like either. I haven't heard the non-Dino stuff. Soul of a New Machine does seem like something I would like though, I'll check that out one of these days.

The samples on Soul of a New Machine are bad ass. Along with Psalm 69 by Ministry they're the 2 best "sampling" cd's I've ever heard. The Full Metal Jacket samples alone on SoaNM are incredible and fit the music perfectly. Check out Crisis and see what you think.

jhdeity
06-17-2010, 08:53 AM
It really sucks they are apart of that so called "Thrash and Burn" tour. IMO they are the only band worth checking out on the whole lineup. I hope they will be able to get on a better tour this Fall or Winter so I can see them kickass live.

Some might find the clean vocals on the album "gay" but to me they fit perfectly and I always dig some kickass melodic vocals when I hear them. I hope these guys make it far!

I found the cd, opened it up and was immediately blown away. Then my buddy sent me a bunch of demos frojm them including a blistering cover of New Millenium Cyanide Christ and I have a whole new respect for these guys.

I agree I can't see them on the Thrash & Burn Tour but hoepfully these guys get the exposure they deserve. The 1st few songs were almost Meshuggah meets Mars Volta to me. How many bands can be described as that?

daimonos
06-17-2010, 12:09 PM
The samples on Soul of a New Machine are bad ass. Along with Psalm 69 by Ministry they're the 2 best "sampling" cd's I've ever heard. The Full Metal Jacket samples alone on SoaNM are incredible and fit the music perfectly. Check out Crisis and see what you think.

I have Psalm 69 by Ministry. That's a great album.

I'll be sure to check out Soul of a New Machine and Crisis somewhere along the line.

jhdeity
06-17-2010, 07:36 PM
2010 in commercial metal continues to blow me away. New Ozzy has some great riffs. Once again my expectations were very low but this might be the best Ozzy cd in over a decade. Who woulda thunk it?

And Periphery, Bison BC, Myrath, Hellish Crossfire, Howl, Shining, Immolation, Sigh & Lair of the Minotaur are solidifying 2010 for me. The more new stuff I really get into the more I'm starting to think 2010 will be better that 2009 when it's all said and done.

I've heard 60 cd's so far and only a few do I absolutely despise. At this point 58-60 are Godsmack, Sevendust and Pain of Salvation. I really expected better from Sevendust after their last debacle.

MPF
06-17-2010, 08:49 PM
2010 in commercial metal continues to blow me away. New Ozzy has some great riffs. Once again my expectations were very low but this might be the best Ozzy cd in over a decade. Who woulda thunk it?

And Periphery, Bison BC, Myrath, Hellish Crossfire, Howl, Shining, Immolation, Sigh & Lair of the Minotaur are solidifying 2010 for me. The more new stuff I really get into the more I'm starting to think 2010 will be better that 2009 when it's all said and done.

I've heard 60 cd's so far and only a few do I absolutely despise. At this point 58-60 are Godsmack, Sevendust and Pain of Salvation. I really expected better from Sevendust after their last debacle.

Really? I thought Sevendust new album is their best in the past Decade, and that's saying a lot.

I was also very disappointed in Pain Of Salvation's new one. What the fuck happened? Daniel already did his Led Zepplin Tribute with Mike Portnoy (Hammer OF The Gods) why did he do it again? I pray to the Prog Gods that road Salt 2 will be good.

jhdeity
06-17-2010, 09:22 PM
Really? I thought Sevendust new album is their best in the past Decade, and that's saying a lot.

I was also very disappointed in Pain Of Salvation's new one. What the fuck happened? Daniel already did his Led Zepplin Tribute with Mike Portnoy (Hammer OF The Gods) why did he do it again? I pray to the Prog Gods that road Salt 2 will be good.

I read an article that Clint was back and the songwriting was going to be heavier with more riffs. They even mentioned being more like Alpha which I loved. To me it's all radio-friendly crap. The lyrics are cheesy and whiny especially Unraveling. It's like he's whining the entire song. I was expecting Face to Face and Alpha type music and lyrics and I get all this shit about how he's breaking up and can't live without some chick. uggghhhh.

Once again I base it on expectations. Chapter whatever: Hope and Sorrow was trrrrible. Just trrrrible. 1 decent song and a bunch of filler. This cd has 2 or 3 decent songs and a bunch of filler to me after being told it was going to be great.

Some of my favorite 7dust songs are slower songs like Xmas Day, Skeleton Song, Angel's Son & Seasons but these songs are just poorly written and have no balls. Still can't wait to see them live but I'll be making a beer run during Unraveling for sure. hahaha

MPF
06-17-2010, 10:35 PM
I read an article that Clint was back and the songwriting was going to be heavier with more riffs. They even mentioned being more like Alpha which I loved. To me it's all radio-friendly crap. The lyrics are cheesy and whiny especially Unraveling. It's like he's whining the entire song. I was expecting Face to Face and Alpha type music and lyrics and I get all this shit about how he's breaking up and can't live without some chick. uggghhhh.

Once again I base it on expectations. Chapter whatever: Hope and Sorrow was trrrrible. Just trrrrible. 1 decent song and a bunch of filler. This cd has 2 or 3 decent songs and a bunch of filler to me after being told it was going to be great.

Some of my favorite 7dust songs are slower songs like Xmas Day, Skeleton Song, Angel's Son & Seasons but these songs are just poorly written and have no balls. Still can't wait to see them live but I'll be making a beer run during Unraveling for sure. hahaha

I guess lyrically, you're right. But then again, the lyrics what I pay the least amount of attention to when I listen to a band. I've always been more of the music part of judging a band, rather then vocals. If that was the case I probably would have never liked Metal.

But I will say that the album as a whole does blow away Chapter, that's not even a question. Alpha is a great album for sure. Definitely my kind of heavy, at least when it comes to Sevendust.

Seasons will still always be my favorite album, although I know most people shit on it now a days. It's still a great album. The right amount of commercial and heaviness for the time. And yes, Skeleton Song is one of my all time favorite Sevendust songs.

The Shinedown tour will be skipping here so I'll have to catch them on the next tour. Like Clutch, Sevendust is a band that I need to see before I kick my own ass.

daimonos
06-18-2010, 07:13 AM
Like Clutch, Sevendust is a band that I need to see before I kick my own ass.

I don't know any of Sevendust's music, but I saw them live last year and I was very impressed. They put on a pretty good show, I thought.

ravenheart
06-18-2010, 07:37 AM
I saw Sevendust last year. They tried hard, but were pretty boring. Too many very similar songs (which was annoying, as I know they have a little more variety than they demonstrated). No hurry to see them again.

JLRedWing13
06-18-2010, 03:11 PM
I saw Sevendust last year. They tried hard, but were pretty boring. Too many very similar songs (which was annoying, as I know they have a little more variety than they demonstrated). No hurry to see them again.

I disagree, I saw them headline in a club last month and was blown away. Incredible energy.

jhdeity
06-18-2010, 09:49 PM

I've never heard anyone say that. They're one of the best live bands I've ever seen. Morgan Rose is a monster and their music is way heavier live. Songs like Praise, Trust, Black, Alpha & Face to Face are so much better live than on cd.

If you like them on cd they will blow you away live. I guarantee it.

That being said they've put out 2 straight clunkers to me. Another cd like that and I'll write them off and choose to remember the great shows I've already seen. The Alpha Tour was one for the annals...

treghet
06-19-2010, 01:26 PM
I listened to some of the new Grave album today and it's decent, but nothing special. Same goes for the new Equilibrium. Worth checking out if you like the bands though.

treghet
06-19-2010, 01:30 PM
Also, the new Mandatory album is pretty good! If you like old school death metal, check them out here (http://www.myspace.com/mandatory1989). I would recommend listening to Into Eternal Sleep.

MPF
06-19-2010, 01:56 PM
One of my favorite bands Demians will be releasing their 2nd album, Mute, June 28th over in Europe.

I've already heard it *Don't judge I have it pre-ordered* and this I know will make it into my top 5 albums of 2010 if not farther up.

This review is a good description of them:

"France's Demians takes the creativity of Dredg, The Harder Edge of Thrice and the epic nature of Radiohead and wraps it up into nine groundbreaking tracks on their sophomore album, MUTE"

Although I'd say its a bit closer to a mix of Dredg, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, and clean vocal Opeth. Look into this album and their previous album, Building An EMpire, both are phenomenal albums!

idrinkwine732
06-19-2010, 02:20 PM

If you are too anxious to wait for that next Behemoth album, this certainly will be up your alley. I think it's a solid album.

evildeadjedi
06-19-2010, 02:44 PM
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51wW7lmeKSL.jpg

Heavy southern style riff rock a bit like BLS but not quite as heavy as Down. Caters to fans of Corrosion of Conformity post-animosity, Monster Magnet, etc.

DethMaiden
06-19-2010, 03:14 PM

Heavy southern style riff rock a bit like BLS but not quite as heavy as Down. Caters to fans of Corrosion of Conformity post-animosity, Monster Magnet, etc.

Nice band name. :cool: "Bury your treasure, burn your crops..."

JLRedWing13
06-19-2010, 03:57 PM
Symphony X recently posted an update. They have the drums and most of the rhythm guitars done and are working on lyrics and vox. Can't wait.

evildeadjedi
06-19-2010, 04:05 PM
Nice band name. :cool: "Bury your treasure, burn your crops..."

That's exactly what I was thinking :lol:

Akumu
06-19-2010, 06:03 PM
Symphony X recently posted an update. They have the drums and most of the rhythm guitars done and are working on lyrics and vox. Can't wait.

Extreme Do Want. :drool:

Meanwhile, Kamelot apparently got pushed back to September, and at the rate their updates are going I'm beginning to wonder if it'll even get released this year. :snivel:

Maiden33
06-19-2010, 06:11 PM
One of my favorite bands Demians will be releasing their 2nd album, Mute, June 28th over in Europe.

I've already heard it *Don't judge I have it pre-ordered* and this I know will make it into my top 5 albums of 2010 if not farther up.

This review is a good description of them:

"France's Demians takes the creativity of Dredg, The Harder Edge of Thrice and the epic nature of Radiohead and wraps it up into nine groundbreaking tracks on their sophomore album, MUTE"

Although I'd say its a bit closer to a mix of Dredg, Porcupine Tree, Dream Theater, and clean vocal Opeth. Look into this album and their previous album, Building An EMpire, both are phenomenal albums!

The guy that cohosts my radio show with me did an interview with the guy behind the band.

I can't quite "get it" though. Just kind sounds like experimental modern rock to me. Hard to explain.

MPF
06-19-2010, 07:46 PM
The guy that cohosts my radio show with me did an interview with the guy behind the band.

I can't quite "get it" though. Just kind sounds like experimental modern rock to me. Hard to explain.

I will say the new album is a lot more experimental then Building An Empire. BAE was a little more straight-forward Progressive Rock/Metal. On Mute, it has a lot more Alternative Rock and Post Rock/Post Metal colors to the music, which I know a lot of people aren't into. But in those cases, Dredg and Godspeed You! Black Emperor are two of my favorite bands. Add some prog to both of them and that would be a winning combination IMO. That's what I feel Demians has.

SomewhereInTime72
06-20-2010, 08:09 AM
Meanwhile, Kamelot apparently got pushed back to September, and at the rate their updates are going I'm beginning to wonder if it'll even get released this year. :snivel:

Lol, this album is like the new Paradise Lost.

Maiden33
06-20-2010, 08:56 AM
Lol, this album is like the new Paradise Lost.

Including the eventual disappointment. ;)

It's still got 2 more years to go before it reaches that point though.

daimonos
06-20-2010, 09:56 AM

If you are too anxious to wait for that next Behemoth album, this certainly will be up your alley. I think it's a solid album.

I've been meaning to order this online for sometime now.

I heard the first couple songs and not only was I reminded of Behemoth, but I was also blown away ;)

Gonna get around to ordering Hour of Penance, Barren Earth, Burzum, and Watain one of these days...

DethMaiden
06-20-2010, 10:07 AM
I really need to order the new Lantlos and Watain records, but they're apparently import only right now. :(

idrinkwine732
06-20-2010, 10:08 AM
Some of you might like the new Svarti Loghin. I've only listened a few times but it's quite good.

daimonos
06-20-2010, 10:36 AM
I really need to order the new Lantlos and Watain records, but they're apparently import only right now. :(

Watain is on amazon for pretty cheap. I was thinking about ordering it straight from Season of Mist, a digipack version with a pretty cool patch, I'm not sure if I'm still gonna do that though, shipping is very expensive, and the free shipping will probably take an eternity to ship from France.

I might just wait for it to come in at my record store, but I don't want to :lol:

Akumu
06-20-2010, 03:23 PM
I definitely saw several copies of the new Watain when I visited one of my favorite record stores last week, so I doubt it's import-only.

jhdeity
06-21-2010, 09:15 AM

Brother Go On and Black Bleeds Through are both great songs. I almost added their 1st cd to my 2009 list but I didn't get into it until the end of the year. Cool video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R0IoyMsljE

evildeadjedi
06-21-2010, 12:49 PM
Brother Go On and Black Bleeds Through are both great songs. I almost added their 1st cd to my 2009 list but I didn't get into it until the end of the year. Cool video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-R0IoyMsljE

I like The River and No Halos also overall, it's a fairly solid album in my opinion.

idrinkwine732
06-21-2010, 02:10 PM
How essential is the new Watain?

daimonos
06-21-2010, 02:18 PM
How essential is the new Watain?

I haven't picked it up yet, but I've heard very good things.

I would assume that it's essential as hell.

Go buy it.

:dfork:

daimonos
06-22-2010, 08:57 AM
I'm enjoying the new Ozzy CD quite a bit actually. Some pretty good stuff.